Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 03/09/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

A poster on the show's fb jogged my memory...the post simply said that most R women know who Dr Phil is. 

But then I remembered (while Nicole Wallace was at the WH  on 9/29/ 2004) Dr Phil and his wife interviewed GW and Laura at the Crawford Ranch). I also remember some huge formal Christmas event they all attended. 

What a communications chief Nicole was....

Which only proves that she's a lying, liar, who lies.  Blech!!

• Love 9

Is it possible that Whoopie is still on meds for her back?  Yeah, she annoyed us before it happened, but not like this.  She is very different since her back problem.  

• Love 1

Is it possible that Whoopie is still on meds for her back?  Yeah, she annoyed us before it happened, but not like this.  She is very different since her back problem.  

I don't think it's the back problem, I think it's that RO is gone - the timing is the same.   RO stuck around until Whoopi came back and not coincidentally was part of some of the best shows I've seen this season, although I did enjoy the one where Whoopi was undeniably loaded.

I think  Whoopi felt really threatened by RO on this show, and now that she's gone Whoopi is super pleased with herself.

• Love 8

I don't think it's the back problem, I think it's that RO is gone - the timing is the same.   RO stuck around until Whoopi came back and not coincidentally was part of some of the best shows I've seen this season, although I did enjoy the one where Whoopi was undeniably loaded.

I think  Whoopi felt really threatened by RO on this show, and now that she's gone Whoopi is super pleased with herself.

It very well could be that she is feeling back in charge and cocky.  She certainly is strutting around and acting like she owns the place.   Well until she gets a command in her ear to settle.  

• Love 4

I am sure Arquette may "be busy" next time she is invited to this mess!  WG trying to hijack another's Oscar moment and PA looked stunned! And WG shaking her finger at the camera, why?  Then PA gives a disturbing and interesting list of statistics and I am waiting for applause for her thoroughness and passion about the subject but no Gabrielle goes straight to reading from her blue card like it was irrelevant into a topic change without even taking a breath?  Again PA looks stunned!  How rude

edited to change RA to PA (Patricia Arquette)

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2

Is it just me & my over-sensitivity,or was Whoopi's mention of Sherri Shepherd being in the show with Niecy Nash a total diss & making her like like a fool when all they showed was her high-speed twerking.  I think Sherri's "friends" aren't very pleased with her!!

• Love 3

Then RA gives a disturbing and interesting list of statistics

Foghorn - Would you kindly clarify who "RA" is?  (I was Viewless today!)

TIA

Edited by Tunia

My own WTF?!? moment of that interview was one-percenter Whoopi [who makes $5 million just off this very part time gig] shaking her finger at the camera when Arquette reported that Black women make an average of $.64 on the dollar compared to men.    Uh, Whoopi you are not included in that statistic.  Also, you are not doing anything to work on that issue so stfu. 

I find that funny, considering if Rosie O had given a statistic like that when she was on, Whoopi would've denied it and concluded that racism is over/has been for years (or at least since she got her first million). Either that or give some racist explanation for the difference.

I'd thoughy about tuning in for Patricia Arquette, but I've never been a fan despite agreeing with what she said at the Oscars. Sounds like I was saved a mess. Is Mario just appearing for advertisements or is he there during topics and interviews? I wonder why the show doesn't list him when he appears.

Her heart broke when they talked about Jennifer Lopez being named on of the most powerful woman in the US.  She was shocked, shocked, I tell you!  How can a judge on AI be powerful?  Oy.   It had to be explained that things were different now.  Knowing Harry Kissinger no longer impresses anyone.  It is all based on SM, your income, businesses and career.  She didn't know Jlo, had her thumb in so many pies.  I am not sure she knew anything about her.  If you are not a head of state you are not important.  

To be fair, I also find the idea that Jennifer Lopez has or ever had "power" is ludicrous. I believe the only way she creates the facade that she isn't a has-been/never-really-was is with the positive press she draws with her looks and dancing skills.

Haleth, on 13 Mar 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

Nicolle is devolving into Sarah Palin.  Oh, the irony.

You know, not a Palin fan at all and I do think the Couric interview was all on her incompetent shoulders, but I can understand why she would think someone as shady as Nicolle might've thrown her into that purposefully.

For those still watching, has Whoopi shown any signs of having a wake-up call where Nicolle is concerned or has she drifted back into her baked state?

• Love 1

Can't remember how WG (?) started off on the subject on women featured on US currency.......which quickly went to....Beyonce.

Let's see here-

3 women on coins - Helen Keller, Sacagawea, and Susan B Anthony on coins.

3 women on paper money  (silver certificates and notes)- Martha Washington twice (once alone and once with husband) and Pocahonas.

Why is it so difficult for the show to google their ht's.....it has taken me longer to post this than glance at google.  SIGH

Oh....and Goddess/Lady Liberty the most of all currency of all women.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 5

I find that funny, considering if Rosie O had given a statistic like that when she was on, Whoopi would've denied it and concluded that racism is over/has been for years (or at least since she got her first million). Either that or give some racist explanation for the difference.

I'd thoughy about tuning in for Patricia Arquette, but I've never been a fan despite agreeing with what she said at the Oscars. Sounds like I was saved a mess. Is Mario just appearing for advertisements or is he there during topics and interviews? I wonder why the show doesn't list him when he appears.

I only caught ten minutes before the Arquette intervew, which I watched after reading MedicineCrow's comment.  I kind of like Patricia Arquette (more since the Oscar speech)  and I wanted to see just how rude this show would be to her.  As usual, they did not disappoint.   Anyway, Mario was sitting at the table like a co-host but I don't think they list him because he is usually a last minute call to come be on the show.  Probably when someone scheduled comes to their senses and finds a reason to skip it. 

For those still watching, has Whoopi shown any signs of having a wake-up call where Nicolle is concerned or has she drifted back into her baked state?

I'm not watching much but the little I have seen, Whoopi is still flying high and holding court.  I get the impression she luuuuvvvs Nicolle's ass-kissing. 

• Love 9

Really.....they have so many changes in co-hosts,RP's absences,  and no-show guests these days......The weeks line up has not been correct for months.

As for Whoopi  -she is dancing around....in and out of her throne jumping up and down....to be believed to still/have a back problem.....and this orange plastic seat is taken from the throne to the chairs they have instead of a couch. Good luck with that help while being more physical than ever this season.

I don't know personally about back pain but friends and family that experience it are smarter than WG about recovering from a back problem. Well, except for my sister, lol. 

• Love 3

Yeah, I was alternately bored and annoyed by this show this week, the same as everyone else.

However, at least there was no Stacy London and no Cristela!  It's just so much more watchable without them.

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 8

What on earth is this show's fascination with Empire? I'm referring to a show not on ABC....yet very popular and endlessly discussed on this show including cast members. I haven't seen it. But the extraordinary exposure The View gives it is strange, imo. 

Seems to me they are focused on tv rather than a balance with movies and Broadway and long term celebrities. Just seems to me to be an unbalance for those viewers that don't watch Empire and want to see a larger segment of guests.

OTOH, I am usually unaware of who so many of the guests and co-hosts are lately.

• Love 5

I think the reason they're so focused on Empire is because it features some talented black actors.  Personally, I've watched it from the beginning because I'm a Taraji P. Hensen fan, not to mention Terrence Howard (don't judge) & I enjoy it as much as Scandal.  The stories are quite good & I really enjoy the singing, plots & sub-plots.  Basically, it's a good show (IMO).

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 4

Ah, Terrence Howard. He's one of those actors who has some talent, but for whom I have a difficult time separating the work from the knowledge that he's such a douchenozzle in real life. If it's something where he has anything more than a smaller supporting role I have to really want to see it for other reasons before I'll watch or plunk down my box office dollars. Empire didn't meet that threshold for me.

• Love 4

I need to back watch Empire from the beginning on demand, I do have it set to record now - will have to see if I can get through the on demand stuff to see if it's a keeper.  It is garnering a big following and I like enough of the other folks in the cast that I can try to look past Howard, but maybe not.  We'll see.

Anyways, I think that's why they keep talking about, it's supposed to be very good - and is getting good ratings, I believe.

• Love 2
It is garnering a big following and I like enough of the other folks in the cast that I can try to look past Howard, but maybe not.

Terence Howard's character is dislikeable, so that helps.  I started watching the show only because I like Taraji P. Henson so much.  I watched the first show and have been hooked on her character's story (and wardrobe) ever since.  I fast-forward almost all of the music sequences and just keep up with the drama...the DRAMAH!!!

Seems to me they are focused on tv rather than a balance with movies and Broadway and long term celebrities. Just seems to me to be an unbalance for those viewers that don't watch Empire and want to see a larger segment of guests.

I see your point, Maggiemae.  I have the same feeling about all the Scandal guests and the gushy-excited talk about the show and "Olivia." That's because I didn't get hooked by watching the first 1-2 shows and have no interest in it.  I don't, though, need to see Terence Howard in any interview situation.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 2

I have a lot of friends who are watching Empire  right now. The usual 'rainbow coalition' of friends I hang with. And to a person, they all love it. Drama, campy comedy, wheeling and dealing, etc. etc.

I've been left in the dust because of Terrence Howard. I can never get past the comment he made about women, hygiene, and baby wipes. I feel like I want to throw up when I see him interviewed etc.

If he wasn't on the show, I would certainly watch it. The word from all my friends is that it is a great escape kind of show.

• Love 3

I have a lot of friends who are watching Empire  right now. The usual 'rainbow coalition' of friends I hang with. And to a person, they all love it. Drama, campy comedy, wheeling and dealing, etc. etc.

I've been left in the dust because of Terrence Howard. I can never get past the comment he made about women, hygiene, and baby wipes. I feel like I want to throw up when I see him interviewed etc.

If he wasn't on the show, I would certainly watch it. The word from all my friends is that it is a great escape kind of show.

I totally understand how you feel maris1!!!  I think Terrence Howard is a poor excuse for a man & a reprehensible human being.  Having said that, I luuuuv Taraji, so I had to watch the first show & was hooked.  It's really interesting, enlightening, just plain entertaining & the clothes are to die for (makes me wish I was thirty again).  It's your choice, but I think it's going to be on our screens for a while, so .....

• Love 3

I haven't watched it yet but I plan to get it onDemand.  Isn't Terrence's character ill with an incurable disease?  Maybe there's hope.  I generally like his acting, but I despise him as a person.

In case anyone doesn't know why Terrence Howard is so hated, here's a summary from his Wikipedia page: 

In February 2009, it was reported on The Smoking Gun that Howard was arrested in 2001 for a variety of charges related to a violent attack on his estranged first wife, including simple assault, terrorist threats, harassment and stalking. According to police reports, he arrived at her house after an argument on the phone, forced entry into her home by breaking in doors, and chased her into the back yard where he punched her twice in the face with a closed fist. The violent attack ended when Howard's brother stopped it. In 2002 he pleaded guilty to disturbing the peace.[26]

These issues came to light after he reportedly downplayed singer Chris Brown's 2009 arrest for attacking his girlfriend Rihanna. When Howard was asked about the allegations of domestic violence against Brown, he told a reporter from Hollywood.TV "It's just life, man. Chris is a great guy. He'll be all right, and Rihanna knows he loves her, you know? They'll be all right."[27]

According to The Smoking Gun, Howard was also arrested for assaulting a Continental Airlines flight attendant after refusing her request to return to his seat because the seat belt sign was on.[28]

According to Philadelphia magazine, Howard punched a woman in a Pennsylvania diner in 2005 and was charged with simple assault and harassment. Those charges were later withdrawn, and Howard plead guilty to disorderly conduct.

On Dec. 5, 2011 a judge granted Howard's then-wife Michelle Ghent a restraining order based on her claims that Howard has caused her physical injuries that required medical attention, once broke her computer in half, repeatedly threatened her, and stalked her by telephone and on the Internet.[29]

In 2012, an ex-girlfriend of Howard accused him of punching and kicking her at his home. No charges were filed against Howard, but charges were filed against the ex-girlfriend. These charges were later withdrawn, and according to a lawsuit filed in Philadelphia, Howard paid the woman $75,000 to sign a non-disclosure agreement about the incident at his home.

In August 2013, Howard's second wife, Michelle Ghent, obtained a second restraining order against him after showing up in court with a black eye she says he gave her. Howard has denied hitting her.[30]
  • Love 3

backformore: thank for the rundown. These and his stupid comments on women are just too too much for me to get over. HOWEVER, on the advice of friends, I will probably do a 'binge watch' of a couple of episodes before I completely dismiss it. Everyone loves this show who watches it. Taraji I like for sure; and I've seen clips. I never could get into Scandal. Love How To Get Away With Murder and the new American Crime is really pretty good. I'm scheduled for major dental surgery soon so perhaps Empire will be on my list to while away the recuperation time.

I watched "Empire" for TPHenson.  She's fabulous and finally has a vehicle to make her own.  Don't like or respect Terence Howard...but the fact that I'm allowed to really dislike his character makes him bearable.  I've probably mentioned before that I fast-forward through most of the music...only because we have TOO MUCH STUFF on our DVR.

P.S.  What's so great about Terence Howard that Hollywood keeps giving him jobs...and good ones?  All the anti-violence against women talk must be BS.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 1