Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Gael has a great-looking section of the draw. If he keeps his head together, he should get to the semis.

I don't know, Rublev's looking very good. I know whenever someone plays Kyrgios, people get so distracted by his crazy that his opponents tend to get ignored. But I thought Rublev showed some impressive tennis tonight, especially with his serve.

He didn't throw in a million aces like Kyrgios but he used it well to set up his points perfectly. I can see that one being a close match between him and Monfils. 

I have to say, despite all the early upsets, this is shaping up to be a good US Open so far. I am so looking forward to Stan vs. Djokovic and then if Novak gets pass Stan and Medvedev wins his match, that'll be rematch between those two. And as often with the younger guys when they get a big win against the Big 3, they can't back it up in the next meeting. Especially if the win comes at Masters which is Best of 3 versus Best of 5. So very interested to see how Medvedev holds up, if that rematch happens.

Cilic vs Rafa could be a really good one, though obviously we all know who I want to win. Federer and Goffin would seem an obvious Federer win, except he hasn't exactly looked invincible the first week. Nice to see Zverev trying to work his way back and I'm interested to see who comes out of that Grigor/de Minaur match up, especially when they may have to face Federer next. 

The women as usual is all over the map but I'm really interested in seeing a potential Serena/Barty quarterfinal.  

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Yay for my man Rublev! I thought he played Nick just right. He just kept to his game, and I thought that actually kept Nick calmer. I was over at the amazing Monfils/Shapavolov match a lot of the time, so I missed if Kurios had any major outburts, but it didn't seem like it. In fact, I think he was complimentary and cordial to Rublev at the net.

Kudos to Tom Rinaldi for having a sense of humor and being able to laugh at himself. That bit when he introduced himself to Kurios was hilarious. 

He took some heat for it, but I think McEnroe was right in that Coco winning last night would not have been "good" for her. Meanwhile, I can't stand Chris Everet's commentary. She over-hypes Coco nonstop every single match and then when it's over.... "she needs to just go be a kid for a while."

When would Osaka meet Serena? I really REALLY do not want to see Serena beat Osaka. I'm sure Serena is gunning for her, even though outwardly she is all hearts and flowers. I'm quite sure there will be no dual on-court interview. 

• Love 1

When would Osaka meet Serena? I really REALLY do not want to see Serena beat Osaka. I'm sure Serena is gunning for her, even though outwardly she is all hearts and flowers. I'm quite sure there will be no dual on-court interview. 

lol, they could only meet, wait for it, in the Finals. Oh I can already imagine the media and narrative and dramatics that will abound, should that happen. In any case, don't see it. My gut says neither Serena or Naomi is making it to the Finals.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:28 PM, BlackberryJam said:

Medvedev snatched a towel rudely from a ball boy and got a warning. He’s misbehaved on and off since, including flipping off some fans. 

This is very rude. Ball boys and girls aren't even paid. They are people too and deserve respect. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

When would Osaka meet Serena? I really REALLY do not want to see Serena beat Osaka. I'm sure Serena is gunning for her, even though outwardly she is all hearts and flowers. I'm quite sure there will be no dual on-court interview. 

There is a recurring joke I've seen that Osaka is going to plan an on-court interview with every player she beats from now on.

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The camera panned to Patrick Mouratouglou (sp?) in the stands when Serena was playing and he automatically fluffed his hair.  I cannot stand him.

Me neither. I think he's skeezy.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

The crowd booing of Daniil is going a bit too far. I mean, his outburst at the ball boy was terrible, but it doesn't compare to what Kurios and others have done. I mean, Serena told a lines woman she was going to shove a ball down her fucking throat and they treat her like the second coming. 

Of course, Daniil tripled down at the end of the match and again told the crowd that their energy fed his victory and to keep it coming. But other than that he was on his best behavoir. He was very kind to his opponent at the net. And also when signing autographs for the kids. 

... ...and plus also, he might be our ONLY hope to take down Novak! 

• Love 5

Look, Johnny Mac, stop trying to make Djokovic a fan favorite. It’s not going to happen. You can tell us over and over that he has all the tools, that he’s the best returner in tennis and he just wants fans to get behind him. Stop trying to make fetch happen.

• Love 7

An american female tennis player that I'm rooting for (that no one has talked about) is Kristie Ahn.  Hoping she can win tomorrow so that she can change her unsupporting parent's minds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/31/sports/tennis/us-open-kristie-ahn.html#click=https://t.co/7emtwHIwxm

At the U.S. Open, Kristie Ahn has reached the fourth round of a Grand Slam event for the first time. Her parents aren’t entirely thrilled.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, this is a really pro-Stan crowd.

Stan looks like your weird European cousin who comes to visit and wants to fill in on your bowling team and turns out to be amazing. I think that’s why the NY crowd responds so well to him.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
Just now, Sew Sumi said:

Well, look at the alternative. 😁

LOL. Djokovic’s game might be sterile and unexciting, but I do like the noise he makes when he serves. “Whappp—Ahh!” It’s like he’s dry heaving or something. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, this is a really pro-Stan crowd.

I wonder if it has something to do with the situation between Novak and the spectator. Because yes, we all know Novak's not exactly the most beloved top player and the New York crowd does love a big upset, especially under the lights.

But yeah this seems a little more extra even for them. I mean I can't imagine it's just pure love for Stan, no offense to him. But I mean come on. Though in the interest of fairness, Stan is playing some very beautiful, inspired tennis so that might also be why he's gotten the crowd on his side. Djokovic's looking a wee bit out of it. 

Also, they need to NOT serve alcohol at tennis tournaments. Because some of these drunk assholes in the crowd are becoming really fucking obnoxious and loud. 

2 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

He’s just going for it, every shot, not playing tentative at all. 

It's how he beat Djokovic at the French and the US Open. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I wonder if it has something to do with the situation between Novak and the spectator. Because yes, we all know Novak's not exactly the most beloved top player and the New York crowd does love a big upset, especially under the lights.

But yeah this seems a little more extra even for them. I mean I can't imagine it's just pure love for Stan, no offense to him. But I mean come on. Also, they need to NOT serve alcohol at tennis tournaments. Because some of these drunk assholes in the crowd are becoming really fucking obnoxious and loud. 

It's how he beat Djokovic at the French and the US Open. 

I agree. Novak is a turn-off for me because of his general insecurity and neediness, but I can't think of any occasion where he was that much of an asshole to deserve this kind of animosity. Kyrgios is far, far worse in terms of attitude and behavior yet fans lap it up.

The drunk idiots need to be removed from the stadium. It's getting out of control.

Yikes, Novak sure isn't going to redeem himself with fans by randomly retiring early in the third set.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7

And out of the blue, Novak retires. Yes, he may be injured, but there was definitely a time when he would retire in matches if he got behind. I know he has had allergy and gluten issues and those are horrible, but he has a rep. 

That booing as he left was pretty extra. I get being irritated that you’ve paid for a match and the guy retires without getting treatment and without a noticeable injury, but drunk assholes need to shut it.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 6

Well, guess that's that. Happy for Stan. It's been a tough road coming back from injury for him.  So nice to see him looking healthy and playing amazing. I hate when the crowd boos a player when they retire from a match.

I get that they want to see more tennis, but knowing the physicality these players go through, I think it's really dickish for someone to act like they're just throwing in the towel when they retire from a match. 

2 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

That booing as he left was pretty extra. I get being irritated that you’ve paid for a match and the guy retires without getting treatment and without a noticeable injury,

He did get treatment though, after the second set. The trainer came and treated the same shoulder he got treatment on during his previous match.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well, guess that's that. Happy for Stan. It's been a tough road coming back from injury for him.  So nice to see him looking healthy and playing amazing. I hate when the crowd boos a player when they retire from a match.

I get that they want to see more tennis, but knowing the physicality these players go through, I think it's really dickish for someone to act like they're just throwing in the towel when they retire from a match. 

He did get treatment though, after the second set. The trainer came and treated the same shoulder he got treatment on during his previous match.

Fair point, I think I missed it because JMac didn’t wax on about how Djokovic is a warrior for playing hurt.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

...that crowd made me feel bad for Novak! It's probably best he is out though, cuz if he played Medvedev on Tuesday and the crowd supported Medvedev, I think that would break him. Although that would be interesting to see what the crowd would do with no one to support. 

Somewhere Rafa and Fed are clinking glasses. And Daniil is preparing to receive his biggest infusion yet of "energy."  

• Love 9
1 minute ago, TVbitch said:

...that crowd made me feel bad for Novak! It's probably best he is out though, cuz if he played Medvedev on Tuesday and the crowd supported Medvedev, I think that would break him. Although that would be interesting to see what the crowd would do with no one to support. 

Somewhere Rafa and Fed are clinking glasses. And Daniil is preparing to receive his biggest infusion yet of "energy."  

Drinking in silence is always an option. Or wandering the grounds.

I imagine Rafa and Fed texted each other champagne emojis because no way would they actually drink mid-tournament. They are both left with total assholes in their halves of the draw.

I fear that Medvedev v. Kyrgios would encourage rampant assholery among the fans resulting in Eagles/Browns fans-style throwing beer bottles on the court.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Although that would be interesting to see what the crowd would do with no one to support. 

Yes, McEnroe just referenced this in his usual tactless manner. He was discussing the upcoming Stan vs. Medvedev match and notes how Medvedev has become the villain in New York and says something to the effect of it'll just be him with Novak out. Thought that was way harsh since I didn't realize Djokovic had reached villain status to the US Open crowd.

7 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Somewhere Rafa and Fed are clinking glasses.

And yet I feel secure in saying the U.S. Open will STILL not get the epic final they want. I'm convinced that tournament's cursed when it comes to Rafa/Federer match ups. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, seltzer3 said:

An american female tennis player that I'm rooting for (that no one has talked about) is Kristie Ahn.  Hoping she can win tomorrow so that she can change her unsupporting parent's minds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/31/sports/tennis/us-open-kristie-ahn.html#click=https://t.co/7emtwHIwxm

I have a Chinese friend whose parents lost their shit when he dropped out of his first year of medical school to teach tennis. Everyone in his immediate family is a doctor, so you can only imagine. Kristie is adorable, hopefully her success can chip away at her parents' misgivings. 

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I have a Chinese friend whose parents lost their shit when he dropped out of his first year of medical school to teach tennis. Everyone in his immediate family is a doctor, so you can only imagine. Kristie is adorable, hopefully her success can chip away at her parents' misgivings. 

Her parents are very traditional, to say the least. 

This is Kristie Ahn’s Mother:

“People don’t understand us around here,” she said, looking around the player garden at the Open. “Everyone is saying ‘Why, why?’ But I just want her to live a normal life. Even if she makes some money, it doesn’t mean anything. It’s about having a steady job, having a family. And then she can enjoy tennis the rest of her life.”

No she can’t. Maybe I’m just being an entitled American, but, girl, keep pursuing your dreams. Having a chance to play in the US Open? And doing well? Please. It’s the stuffy office job that will be there for the rest of her life. The opportunity to play professional tennis won’t be. 

1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

I’m happy for Stan. Even before Novak’s retirement, Stan was playing his butt off and probably would have won anyway. 

And I don’t understand why crowds behave the way they do. Tonight’s crowd was chatty and fidgety. And then the rude booing at the end. But during the Coco-Osaka match, even though there was plenty of cheering, you could hear a pin drop between some of the points.  

• Love 6

My issues with Medvedev go back to his comments a few years ago about how the (black) chair umpire must have ruled in favor of Donald Young because they were friends. And now looking him up I see that he also threw change at the foot of the chair after a match against Tsitsipas at Wimbledon (I didn't remember that). 

I'm glad that Djokovic is out - I was surprised he retired, it's been a while since he did that. But I like it when there's only one player I can't stand left. Keeps things simple.

The crowd was absolutely appalling, I'm actually shocked by the classless behaviour at the Djokovic game. Sure people can have their favourites but show some effing respect to the players. Boorish tennis fans are really turning me off this sport, it's getting worse and worse. 

• Love 4

I don't understand why the hate for Novak. Is it just because his personality is kind of bland? Or as McEnroe said, he just wins too much? I remember when he first came on the scene he would do impressions of the other players and entertain the crowds and they seemed to love him... what happened. In any case, he still deserves respect. 

In his press conference, Medvedev makes it clear that he knows he was "an idiot" and he is trying to learn, work on things, and do better. He swears he is a good person off the court, and says his Snidely Whiplash stuff is just to have some fun with the crowd. That is what I suspected as it was so "pro wrestling" OTT. He says he learned from Novak how to turn the energy around when the crowd is against you. 

I'm not ready to put Daniil in the "asshole" category yet. He looks older, but he is a very young man with a hot temper and he's trying to do better. We shall see!  

It was great to see Stan back in top form. That is going to be a loud match. 

• Love 2

To me, Novak feels very fake.  It’s hard to put into words, but he seems terribly disingenuous with everything he does, that I just don’t feel with players like Rafa and Roger.  Novak feels very much like a try-hard, and that lurking underneath is a guy who has disdain for everyone.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Etta Place said:

My issues with Medvedev go back to his comments a few years ago about how the (black) chair umpire must have ruled in favor of Donald Young because they were friends. And now looking him up I see that he also threw change at the foot of the chair after a match against Tsitsipas at Wimbledon (I didn't remember that). 

Wow. I did not know all that stuff about Medvedev.  From now on I'll just call him Asshole #5.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

My loathing of Novak goes back a long time, back when I hated Roger with the hate of a thousand fiery suns. I don't feel that way about Roger anymore. He really mellowed for me when he had kids. Now he's okay to me. 

But it was always the desperation to be liked that I saw in Novak. And I've only ever seen that desperate need to be liked in people who were inherently unlikable. It was the way he always tried to play for the crowd. The way he seems so needy all of the time. And he was constantly for many years retiring when he was behind. I never respected him for that.

He's also completely charmless. Every one of his cute little smiles seems a studied cute little smile that I suspect he has practiced in the mirror for hours. He is the complete epitome of a try-hard.

I've also never forgotten the time when his asshole father tried to beat up some Serbian radio announcers for speaking negatively about Novak. His dad has always been a total jackass. And whatever happened to that brother of his that was never in school?

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 9

In terms of the Novak hate, I don't hate him as much anymore.  Although him retiring, did remind me of why I did hate him.  I remember when he was an upcoming player, the guy did a lot of shady medical time outs, as well as retiring many times (instead of just giving the opponent 2-3 more games to win the match).  That was when Roddick and Novak got into the tiff (where Roddick says that Novak gets some magical disease like SARS, and bird flu when he retires).  Ironically that happened also at a US Open.

So I'm wondering while majority of the crowd that were booing were being beligerant, I wonder if its just from the reputation Novak had.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Wow, Bencic sure has Osaka's number this year. Fourth straight win against her. While I wouldn't say Osaka necessarily played badly and Bencic definitely delivered some quality tennis, I do think at times Naomi seemed to lack a bit of drive and urgency. 

As for Djokovic, I've reached a zen state about him. He's definitely had his douchy behavior but I think he's a phenomenal player and all in all, certainly not the worse guy on the tour. And I just hate when the crowd boos a player when they retire because like I've said, unless there's something glaringly suspicious about it, the strain these players put their bodies through, I imagine they get all types of injuries. 

Personally regarding Djokovic, I'm more curious about where the hell Jelena is. She's usually all up in there with her manic support and yet she wasn't at Wimbledon, which was really strange because their son was there and she's not at the Open. Well wouldn't be the first time Novak's cheated on her, assuming that's probably what happened. 

2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Personally regarding Djokovic, I'm more curious about where the hell Jelena is. She's usually all up in there with her manic support and yet she wasn't at Wimbledon, which was really strange because their son was there and she's not at the Open. Well wouldn't be the first time Novak's cheated on her, assuming that's probably what happened. 

Something's definitely up. Jelena is usually front and center, being a total drama queen. It was odd when Novak told the crowd she was at their rental with their daughter during his Wimbledon speech. I'm sure they have nannies, so that seemed like kind of a flimsy excuse. At the time, I wondered if she was even in England at all or whether that was Novak's attempt to save face. Her absence at the Open is very telling.

• Love 1

Ok so Zverev appears to be a not a popular guy? which I didn’t know, but if you are going to give a warning, shouldn't it be up to the chair ump to be SURE the player heard it?  I mean he was going to lose the game anyways, but having it be because he said fuck shouldn’t have been the way.

And why is he yelling fuck anyways?  Doesn’t he speak German?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

At this point I can’t figure out who all the new assholes are. Honestly, we had so many lovely years with Rafa and Roger behaving so gentlemanly on court that this new crop of young jerks is surprising. 

I mean, I enjoyed a Safin meltdown just as much as anyone else, but Safin was so incredibly hot and charming that I gave him a pass. 

Maybe they are all frustrated that Roger, Rafa (and Novak) haven’t aged out yet.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I give all of them a pass to a certain extent. I think it is more stressful now with all the social media scrutinizing your every word and hurling all manner of insults at you. (I prefer to insult them here in private! giggle.gif). And that's on top of the stress of just having to constantly travel, stay in shape, deal with injuries, surgeries and recovering, not to mention global warming! More players are talking about mental health. Sloane, Osaka, Dj and others look downright depressed a lot of the time. I would totally not always be my "best" self under those conditions.

Wow, Rublev could not get his game going today and lost to another swarthy guy (not as swarthy as Lopez) I've never seen before.  

Who is going to win this thing?! No offense to anyone, but I do hope it is not Nadal and Serena! I hope at least one of the finals has a fresh winner. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

And why is he yelling fuck anyways?  Doesn’t he speak German?

This reminds me when Brad Gilbert and company had a whole 10-15 minute freakout at Wimbledon, over the fact that the microphones picked up Rafa saying concentrate to himself.

He'd missed a number of first serves in a row and he mumbled it under his breath but the mic picked it up. Brad and company couldn't get over this because omg, Rafa spoke to himself in English, when you'd assume he'd say it in Spanish. The whole thing was so dumb. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • LOL 1

Other non-asshole players have to deal with the stress of travel, injuries, personal issues, etc.  However, I think the young assholes are subject to the media hype and they realize that they haven't lived up to it, at least not yet.   

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

No offense to anyone, but I do hope it is not Nadal and Serena!

I don't know about the women but for the men, if it's not Rafa, it'll probably be Federer winning 21. I'd like to be wrong and yes, a fresh face would be nice but I mean come on, we are going on two straight years where the men's singles champion at every Grand Slam has been Roger, Rafa or Djokovic. Though to be fair Novak did win four out of those seven (which is insane when I type it out) so there is that. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I only  watch the majors, but is Alexandra Stephenson. . . not good at her job as a commentator?

Also, did I hear Patrick McEnroe refer to a panoramic shot of the Upper East Side as being Midtown? He should know better. He's a local.

• Love 1