Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Dammit.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

DAMMIT.

Triple dammit. I was so upset that I didn’t watch the trophy presentation. Did Mrs. Djoker ever show up in his player’s box? 

On a shallow note, Mirka  has gorgeous hair.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Triple dammit. I was so upset that I didn’t watch the trophy presentation. Did Mrs. Djoker ever show up in his player’s box? 

On a shallow note, Mirka  has gorgeous hair.

Yeah, I skipped all the pomp and circumstance.  Didn't want to see needy Djoker get the trophy. 

• Love 3
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

He said she was watching from their rental home, which I thought was weird. Why wouldn't she be at the match?

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

Well, one of the announcers said that Federer gives a big party each year after the match, win or lose.  I wasn't sure if it was just Wimbledon though.  I just hope he's having some fun right about now.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Also, I am so glad that Novak never did the gesture where he puts his hand to his ear like “I can’t hear you” to the crowd. That would have been cause for everyone to throw their Pimm’s at him. 

• Love 3

I really wish Wimbledon would prohibit Novak's (or anyone's) little "ritual" of eating the grass. For one thing, it's disgusting. Second, that court still needed to be used for another match. How is that not intentional court damage?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, ombelico said:

I really wish Wimbledon would prohibit Novak's (or anyone's) little "ritual" of eating the grass. For one thing, it's disgusting. Second, that court still needed to be used for another match. How is that not intentional court damage?

Plus, who knows what chemicals might be on that grass?  Not only is it disgusting, it's just dumb. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, ombelico said:

For all we know it is, and they'll fine the fuck out of him. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, ombelico said:

10 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Plus, who knows what chemicals might be on that grass?  Not only is it disgusting, it's just dumb. 

It shows his lack of class and how he will never be cherished as we cherish other champions. I can’t think of another champion who would ever think of doing that, male or female.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, ombelico said:

I agree. Aside from being unsanitary, it's incredibly crass.

• Love 2

Well. Fuck. It was like Picard vs. Borg! 

ESPN's replay had Boris Becker commentating and he shed a bit of light on Dj, having been in his camp through 6 major titles. He said Dj is VERY emotional and has to go robot mode to contain himself. And he had to work hard and get help to cope with the fact that the crowd was never gonna root for him with Rafa and Fed around. But it still hurts him. I get it. I mean, can you imagine working THAT hard, your whole life, climbing to the top of your field, becoming #1 in the world ...but everybody wants you to lose! ...Okay, don't flame me, I'm just an old softie. 

Both men seemed extremely quiet today. I did not hear a single "come on" or see a big fist in the air from either. Hardly even any grunting. Or facial expressions. Fed was even more deadpan than Dj! 

Damn those guys are fit. A lot of the 20 year old's would be panting and doubling over, but both of them were barely breathing heavy. 

• Love 3
On 7/15/2019 at 12:09 AM, ombelico said:

How about a rule saying that if you eat the court at Wimbledon, you have to do it at the other three majors too?

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Nobody watching Rogers Cup? So mad I don't get to see the Kachanov/Medvedev semi today!!! Stupid ESPN!!

I saw Monfils win over Batista Agut, so that made my day.  Unfortunately, he has to play Nadal this evening, so I think we all know how that will end.   

• Love 2

I've been watching on Tennis Channel mostly and have found it refreshing that they're primarily airing the women's matches and only occasionally cutting away to the concurrent men's matches at important moments for a minute or so. (or maybe not and this just coincidentally is what happened during the times I sat down to watch?) Either way, that it happened enough to give me that impression makes me smile because the TV coverage way too frequently goes the other way around.

• Love 2

It sounded like ESPN has the rights to the men's and Tennis Channel has the womens. I used to get Tennis Channel but now they want another $120 a year to include it, so I guess no women's matches for me until the Open. Oh, but golf channel is still free. 

Yeah, it should be a massacre tonight with Monfils having to play again. Hope Medvedev can give Rafa a challenge tomorrow. 

I'm glad that Monfils dropped out because I think it was unfair for him to have to play anyone with only a couple hours rest.  He probably would have lost anyway so no need to tweak that ankle even more.

I think she was crying as much because she was in physical pain as because she really wanted to win and didn't even get the chance to try. I watched the whole thing and Serena did not strike me at all as an attention grab (unlike some previous occasions).

• Love 10

Medvedev was a classy loser. I like him, but dude, you cannot just hit to the middle of the court when you KNOW Nadal is gonna destroy you with his power angles! 

I am totally watching that cheesy "Serena vs. the Umpire" show next Sunday. popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif

On 8/11/2019 at 11:19 AM, BitterApple said:

I felt horrible for Serena when she started crying. I'm glad the crowd was classy and supportive.

I felt horrible for Bianca when she didn't get the chance to feel the elation and joy that comes with winning a championship.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, shok said:

I felt horrible for Bianca when she didn't get the chance to feel the elation and joy that comes with winning a championship.

That’s how I felt when Federer made a spectacle of himself crying after losing the Australian Open. What a horrific thing to do to Nadal.

😉

• Love 4

I'm watching Keys/Halep in Cincinatti and the sound from the other stadium is SO LOUD. I've been able to hear the occasional between matches music during other matches but this is the first time I've watched a televised match where I was constantly distracted by the audio from another court. Not just the music, sometimes I could hear the score louder from the other court during points. I'm guessing the TV audio might be exascerbating it slightly but even the commentators mentioned how loud it was. If I were playing I might say something to the ump. It seemed reallllllllly disproportionate to the norm.

• Love 2

That was loud! @theatremouse I am glad Keys pulled it out cuz I don't think Simona could play another match.

What exactly did Kurios do to rack up $130,000 in fines! Did anyone see it? They need to require him to have a mental health evaluation, I think. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, TVbitch said:

That was loud! @theatremouse I am glad Keys pulled it out cuz I don't think Simona could play another match.

What exactly did Kurios do to rack up $130,000 in fines! Did anyone see it? They need to require him to have a mental health evaluation, I think. 

I didn't see it but your post made me look it up ...

Ball Abuse (Warning)

Unsportsmanlike Conduct (Point Penalty) – US$ 20,000 fine

Leaving the Court – US$ 3,000 fine

Audible Obscenity – US$ 5,000 fine

Unsportsmanlike Conduct – US$ 5,000 fine

Unsportsmanlike Conduct – US$ 20,000 fine

Verbal Abuse – US$ 20,000 fine

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Etta Place said:

I didn't see it but your post made me look it up ...

Ball Abuse (Warning)

Unsportsmanlike Conduct (Point Penalty) – US$ 20,000 fine

Leaving the Court – US$ 3,000 fine

Audible Obscenity – US$ 5,000 fine

Unsportsmanlike Conduct – US$ 5,000 fine

Verbal Abuse – US$ 20,000 fine

Um, was this all from one match? 

1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

What exactly did Kurios do to rack up $130,000 in fines! Did anyone see it?

Unfortunately.

31 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Um, was this all from one match? 

Yep, and he was actually under-penalized. Even though he's one of the quickest players and was in no danger of going over 25 seconds, he got upset at how quickly the shot clock started, and it all went downhill from there.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I only saw bits of the first set as I was only switching over to it during commercials of another show I was watching but watched the whole thing from about middle of the second set and let me tell you, the $130,000 wasn't nearly enough. If he doesn't get a suspension I'll be right pissed off.

I didn't see what set him off about the time clock but, as usual, he wouldn't let his gripe go and between points and on the changeovers, he was yelling at Fergus the umpire about how unfair and incompetent he was, that he was starting the shot clock before the last point had even ended and other nonsensical stuff like that, using the eff word quite liberally of course. Fergus was starting it the way all the umpires do, when he called the score, but Kyrgios was ranting and raving and yelling all sorts of idiotic things when the clock started while he was toweling off and even when he was receiving and he thought Fergus was doing it differently for Khatchenov.

He just went on and on and on and on and kept bringing up Rafa's name and saying Rafa is treated so differently and the umpires never start the shot clock on him (!). It was all so ridiculous and Murphy should have given him a dozen code violations throughout the tantrum. On a changeover Nick threw a bottle of water at the umpire's chair to emphasize one of the points he was ranting about and called the umpire a fucking idiot, a potato, a tool and all sorts of other insults.

Apparently Nick's foot was sore - he had taken an MTO for it in the first set - and he kept grumbling that he was going to quit because it wasn't worth it but the ninny won the second set in a TB so had to keep on playing. Hah! Anyway, between the sets he sat in his chair throwing towels and yelling at the umpire and being an ass. When Fergus called 'time', Kyrgios stood up and said he was going to take a bathroom break. Fergus told him he couldn't but Nick ignored him and ambled up the walkway with two racquets in his hand which he then proceeded to smash and then he turned around and came back on court and sat down and took a new racquet out of his bag and started to tape the grip. Fergus told him time had been called and he had to get out on court so he slowly got up and walked to the line still taping his racquet while Khachenov waited to serve. He kept telling Karen to go ahead and serve even though he didn't have a racquet ready to hit a return. Of course he had a lot of ugly stuff to say to the umpire when he got a time violation and a point penalty.

It was just ridiculous that Murphy didn't give him a game penalty and even a default by that time. Nick had certainly done enough to deserve it, but they herked and jerked along and finished the third set. Most of the time Nick was tanking but still managed to hit some unreturnable serves but Khachenov won pretty easily. They shook hands at the net but instead of shaking the umpire's hand Nick horked a big gob of spit at him. It was shocking that after all the tantrums and insults and violations he could still end the match with an even worse action.

I'm not particularly a fan of Khachenov but I felt so sorry for him that he had to try and play a tennis game with all the shit that was going on. No way could anybody focus and concentrate on hitting the ball with all the disruption.

I know this is a book I've written but trust me, it doesn't cover all the crap Nick was doing. It was really disgraceful and not only was it completely disrespectful to the umpire and the fans and the game of tennis, it was so unfair to his opponent. The ATP really has to do something about it.

Edited by shok
  • Love 10

Thanks everyone for the breakdown of Kyrgios' latest drama. I would like to say I'm surprised by any of this but that would be a lie. I too hope they just finally issue a major suspension on him because honestly, I've said it before but I'm just over this guy.

Granted I was never a fan anyway but now I really need him to kindly GTFO, please and thanks. Anybody still delusionally claiming this fool adds ANYTHING to the sport is ridiculous. Kyrgios' behavior has reached the point where it's abusive to the players who have the unfortunate luck of having to play him, to the umpires, ball boys and girls, lines people, etc. 

• Love 2

Spitting on someone, or even at someone, is revolting. All the talent in the world doesn't excuse someone for being an asshole.

I am amused that he tried to make it about Rafa though. 

And the next time I decide to insult someone, I'm going to call them a potato just to see how it goes over.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • LOL 1

I saw the video clip of the Kyrgios rant, and wow, if he doesn't get a suspension out of this, it's an absolute farce. His behavior was a disgrace to himself, the fans and the sport. He's been babied and excused for far too long. This isn't some 16 year-old kid who cracked under pressure. He's a grown ass man. Enough already. If you hate playing, then do us all a favor and quit.

• Love 8

I was pissed off that he won the Citi Open in DC, which is why I didn't go this year because I was afraid he might win.  I'm so glad I saved my money.  I noticed on tv that the crowd didn't seem that enthusiastic either, just polite clapping at the awards ceremony.

He seems mentally ill to me. Can the ATP not require him to have a mental health evaluation and get treatment. Or, if it turns out he's just as ass, go through some sort of serious anger management process before resuming play on a probationary status. 

• Love 4

@shok the point penalty was before the bathroom break. It was for for unsportsmanlike conduct (cursing at/insulting the chair umpire). I assume Nick went off court to smash his rackets because he didn't want to get the game penalty. Of course, it turns out that racket abuse anywhere on the grounds is against the code of conduct. It's baffling that no one could confirm he smashed the rackets and thus Murphy didn't penalize him for that. The line judge was with him and flinched when Nick did it. We all saw it!

I, too, keep thinking there's a mental illness element here.  Anyone know anything about NK's family, if they're enablers of his behavior?  I just wish there was someone he trusted who could get through to him to do whatever he needs to get his act together, on the court and off.

It's REALLY unfair to his opponents, and it's awful for the officials and the audience.  There's nothing fun about this.

• Love 3

Regarding the mental illness aspect, I do believe that perhaps he needs his head examined for a tumor or something else.  I'm not being snarky, I'm serious.  He just doesn't seem to be "wired" right.

In any event, whatever is wrong with him, he needs to be suspended and if he needs help, then he should be required to get it. 

Okay, did anyone broadcast the end of the Osaka-Kenin match and the entire Venus-Keys match?  My DVR is set to record both Tennis Channel and ESPN whatever, and I got only the first two sets or so of the Osaka match before ESPN2 went to the weigh-in (!!!!) for some Ultimate Fighting Thing.  No sign of the rest of the match anywhere nor the Venus-Keys match.

And for some reason, even though ESPN is done with the tournament for the day, Tennis Channel is broadcasting a US Open Final with Agassi-Sampras.  WTF?

2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

GO MEDVEDEV!!!

Yeah!!!!!  Go Danil!

Proud of my girl Sveta.  (Although I really like Barty too).  I'm rooting for Madison in the second match.  Not a fan of Kenin yet.  That said, I think she's headed for big things.  That intensity is quite something.  I predict she'll win this thing.

• Love 1

Definitely did not see that result after the blow out first set. Figured this would be another routine win for Djokovic. So kudos to Medvedev. And three Masters Finals is nothing to sneeze at. Should be a good one between him and Goffin.

Now on a shallow note, am I the only who was shocked to learn that Medvedev is only 23? Let's just say I would have guessed a little older. 

• Love 1

I loved Medvedev's win!! He could have totally folded against Dj who almost seems to be like playing Scrabble against the computer at this point, but instead he went balls out! 

One thing I found interesting about DJ is when Cahill said he paid a company to gather analytics for him about other players. ...I didn't even know that was a thing!... So when Medvedev went off script that must have really flustered him.

He has a bit of thinning hairline @truthaboutluv, but lots of young guys do. One thing that upset me was his wife looking rather nonplussed about this fantastic win. I do like his coach.  

• Love 2