Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
cms

Tennis Thread

Real shame. But 37 year old Federer just effectively played six sets against a man five years younger, and should have won. He played better, but Djokovic was just too strong in the end.

I have no real issue with Djokovic, but Federer has been a favourite of mine ever since I first watched him beat Peter Sampras at Wimbledon in 2001. He's great to watch, and seems like a thoroughly nice guy. It should be no mystery to anyone that he's the fan favourite at almost any tournament in the world.

• Like 8

That was sad.

Evil won the day, as I expected; I just didn't expect it to be quite so close and therefore more devastating.  I'm sure Justin Gimelstob is thrilled.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Dammit.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

DAMMIT.

Triple dammit. I was so upset that I didn’t watch the trophy presentation. Did Mrs. Djoker ever show up in his player’s box? 

On a shallow note, Mirka  has gorgeous hair.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Triple dammit. I was so upset that I didn’t watch the trophy presentation. Did Mrs. Djoker ever show up in his player’s box? 

On a shallow note, Mirka  has gorgeous hair.

Yeah, I skipped all the pomp and circumstance.  Didn't want to see needy Djoker get the trophy. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

He said she was watching from their rental home, which I thought was weird. Why wouldn't she be at the match?

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 2

Well, one of the announcers said that Federer gives a big party each year after the match, win or lose.  I wasn't sure if it was just Wimbledon though.  I just hope he's having some fun right about now.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Also, I am so glad that Novak never did the gesture where he puts his hand to his ear like “I can’t hear you” to the crowd. That would have been cause for everyone to throw their Pimm’s at him. 

• Like 3

I really wish Wimbledon would prohibit Novak's (or anyone's) little "ritual" of eating the grass. For one thing, it's disgusting. Second, that court still needed to be used for another match. How is that not intentional court damage?

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

9 minutes ago, ombelico said:

I really wish Wimbledon would prohibit Novak's (or anyone's) little "ritual" of eating the grass. For one thing, it's disgusting. Second, that court still needed to be used for another match. How is that not intentional court damage?

Plus, who knows what chemicals might be on that grass?  Not only is it disgusting, it's just dumb. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ombelico said:

For all we know it is, and they'll fine the fuck out of him. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ombelico said:

10 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Plus, who knows what chemicals might be on that grass?  Not only is it disgusting, it's just dumb. 

It shows his lack of class and how he will never be cherished as we cherish other champions. I can’t think of another champion who would ever think of doing that, male or female.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ombelico said:

I agree. Aside from being unsanitary, it's incredibly crass.

• Like 1

Well. Fuck. It was like Picard vs. Borg! 

ESPN's replay had Boris Becker commentating and he shed a bit of light on Dj, having been in his camp through 6 major titles. He said Dj is VERY emotional and has to go robot mode to contain himself. And he had to work hard and get help to cope with the fact that the crowd was never gonna root for him with Rafa and Fed around. But it still hurts him. I get it. I mean, can you imagine working THAT hard, your whole life, climbing to the top of your field, becoming #1 in the world ...but everybody wants you to lose! ...Okay, don't flame me, I'm just an old softie. 

Both men seemed extremely quiet today. I did not hear a single "come on" or see a big fist in the air from either. Hardly even any grunting. Or facial expressions. Fed was even more deadpan than Dj! 

Damn those guys are fit. A lot of the 20 year old's would be panting and doubling over, but both of them were barely breathing heavy. 

• Like 3

On 7/15/2019 at 12:09 AM, ombelico said:

How about a rule saying that if you eat the court at Wimbledon, you have to do it at the other three majors too?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5