Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Tsitsipas is pretty adorable, but the long on-court interview, complete with a video plug of his Youtube channel, was a bit much. I don't think he can take Rafa though... yet. 

Carrena Busta: “I try to leave faster as possible when I lost that last point, because I know that in any moment I lost the head." He was't fast enough! I consider his outburst a crime of passion. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Tsitsipas is pretty adorable, but the long on-court interview, complete with a video plug of his Youtube channel, was a bit much. I don't think he can take Rafa though... yet. 

Yeah, I thought the interview went on much too long.  I actually place more blame on the interviewer (Jim Courier?) for encouraging him to keep talking.  I don't think I've seen Federer interviewed that long on court.   

• Love 3

During his on-court interview after beating Fed, Johnny Mac announced "Here it is, the changing of the guards!" I thought that was a bit disrespectful to Fed after that great match, and also a wee premature. But it looks like they really want Tsitsipas to be their next big thing.  

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

But it looks like they really want Tsitsipas to be their next big thing.  

I just think they want SOMEONE/ANYONE at this point to be the next big thing for the sport. And I get it. It's not that they don't still love Federer, Rafa and Novak but they are all in their 30's and it's crazy really that the same names have been dominating the sport for almost a decade and a half at this point.

So I think they just want to have someone and hopefully a few that can conceivably carry the sport when those guys finally pack it in. That said, I think it will take awhile after they all retire before there will be that dominant an era again in the sport. I forsee a lot of different champions when those three retire but no two/three players dominating like they did. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

Kinda like golf.  There was Tiger, then he made terrible life decisions, and now it’s the field, with no one dominating for any length of time.

It’s funny that I was wondering yesterday if Osaka was even in this tourney because I hadn’t heard her name at all and there she was today, winning.

• Love 3

I hate watching Pliskova play.  She’s so joyless.  She plays like a robot utterly devoid of joy.  I guess it’s the same reason why I’ve always disliked Federer as well.  They both play like it’s a job that they hate being at.  Yes it’s their job and earns them money but at least act like you are having fun.  Pliskova just aced Serena to take the first set and she just raises her fist. No smile or anything.  Never smiles.

There are few women that I automatically root against no matter who they play.  Pliskova is one of them.  Coco Vandeweghe is another.  And Simone Halep, for whatever reason I just don’t like her.  

• Love 1

That's an interesting perspective. I don't find her (or Federer) joyless. I thought Pliskova tonight had all the chill in the world, which is pretty much the opposite of Serena. She didn't seem to me to be just doing her job or not caring. She struck me as just the calmest calm to ever calm. And sometimes, actually, when you're playing someone who is kind of emoting all over the place it makes it even easier to go the opposite way.

I wonder how fucked up Serena's ankle is.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

"Joyless" is the very last adjective I would use to describe Roger Federer when he plays tennis.  If you don't think he absolutely loves tennis and loves playing tennis, you're crazy.

This.

And I'm going to defend Simona Halep as well because yes, she can get a crazy attitude going toward her box with things are not going her way but she is always respectful to her opponents and imo loses with class. I frankly can’t help but like her.

• Love 4

I really struggled while watching Serena’s match because she had it completely sewn up until she rolled her ankle so listening to everyone cheer whenever Pliskova won a point because Serena couldn’t hobble fast enough seems so disrespectful.  I guess I have no killer instinct.

• Love 3

Yeah, it was painful watching Serena allow shots to whiz by that she would have reached earlier in the match. I agree with Mary Jo: she should have bought herself some time and called out the trainer. 

Oh well, I have no dogs left in the fight on the ladies' side (I think Danielle will get rolled tomorrow). But as long as Rafa is still playing, I'm all in. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, blackwing said:

I hate watching Pliskova play.  She’s so joyless.  She plays like a robot utterly devoid of joy.  I guess it’s the same reason why I’ve always disliked Federer as well.  They both play like it’s a job that they hate being at.  Yes it’s their job and earns them money but at least act like you are having fun.  Pliskova just aced Serena to take the first set and she just raises her fist. No smile or anything.  Never smiles.

I love how we all watch the same matches but have different perceptions.  The thing that I've always loved and admired about Fed and Venus is their stoicism.  I played tennis when I was younger and I was a complete nut who has been known to slam a racket or five.  So I've always envied players who could keep their emotions in check, good or bad.  I put Pliskova in this category.   

10 hours ago, theatremouse said:

She didn't seem to me to be just doing her job or not caring. She struck me as just the calmest calm to ever calm. And sometimes, actually, when you're playing someone who is kind of emoting all over the place it makes it even easier to go the opposite way.

TheatreMouse telling no lies.  As great a player as Serena is, her emotions will get her every time.  

I wonder if she was reluctant to call for the trainer since Sharapova got called out for her unsportsmanlike BS earlier in the tourney?  If so, that's a shame.  It was obvious that she tweaked her ankle.   Sharapova was just getting steamrolled and tried to steal Barty's momentum with her cheating ass.

• Love 5

I've never been a fan of Serena, but that's a bummer her match ended the way it did.

Was the foot fault really obvious? Not to play the sexism card, but I wonder if the umpire would've done the same to Fed or Nadal on a match point. 

On the ladies side, I'd like to see Osaka win. After the debacle at the U.S. Open it would be nice to see her win the title free and clear of drama and a booing audience.

• Love 1

I continue to be amazed that Plisbot can't find some way to improve her speed or agility. She just stands there are lets a lot of points go. Sometimes it comes off as she doesn't care that much, but she just knows she can't get to them.  If she could make improvements in this area, she would have so much more success. I don't particularly enjoy watching her play either cuz it's hard to form a "relationship" with her on the court. 

Was kind of hoping Naomi would be the won to take Serena out, cuz that would have been epic, but I am kind of glad Naomi does not have to deal with that stress, again. 

Poor Kei. I did enjoy Dj trying to do Aussie slang to give the disappointed crowd some entertainment. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Poor Kei.

Yup, as I expected. The fact is you just can't expend that much energy in the previous rounds without it catching up to you. It's why I knew Rafa's U.S. Open would end like it did. Kei came into that Quarterfinal having played three straight 5-set matches that each went over 3 hours. That's insane. 

As for Pliskova, honestly her stoicism just amuses me. It cracks me up the fact that she's so emotionless that half the time, unless you're following the score, you can't tell if she's winning or losing. I'm fine with different personalities on the tour. I don't need a player being overly emotional because sometimes those are the ones who mentally lose it during matches and blow winning chances.

Of course some intensity is great and I have no issues with that either but I'm perfectly fine with even keel players who just go about the business of playing without the theatrics and over the top emotions. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I've never been a fan of Serena, but that's a bummer her match ended the way it did.

Was the foot fault really obvious? Not to play the sexism card, but I wonder if the umpire would've done the same to Fed or Nadal on a match point. 

On the ladies side, I'd like to see Osaka win. After the debacle at the U.S. Open it would be nice to see her win the title free and clear of drama and a booing audience.

They showed a close-up of Serena's foot fault. It was a valid call, but I bet it was just the first one they caught. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I continue to be amazed that Plisbot can't find some way to improve her speed or agility. She just stands there are lets a lot of points go. Sometimes it comes off as she doesn't care that much, but she just knows she can't get to them. 

What I was more impressed by was the number of times the ball was going behind her and she didn't have time to change direction but still sort of just stuck her racket out behind her and made the shot, not necessarily winners, but keeping the ball in play, from angles that I don't recall seeing other players generally able to do that. Or even attempting to do that. Usually it's behind you, you're fucked. Maybe it's just that Serena's shot making wasn't precise enough that she wasn't going far enough behind Pliskova to make her unable to adjust...I don't know, but watching it I don't know whether the credit Pliskova or fault Serena but it was weird and I felt like it happened at least 3-4 times during that match.

Foot fault calls are so rare in majors, and more than 50% of the time I remember hearing it called in a televised match it was against one Williams or the other. I remember a few from Murray or Federer over the years. Everyone's annoyed when they get called for a foot fault because they know they got away with dozens of others. It's a weird thought experiment I always think: is it worse that when they do get called it tends to be at a critical moment? Or better because the rule is there to be enforced? (but if it had been enforced earlier would that same critical moment have even happened the same way). I think I'd probably rather their either always called it or never did (or made hawkeye have some ability to deal with it, or automate it like net cord lets because I think the reason it's so rarely called is it's so hard for humans to be sure and then they only call it when they're really sure and it feels important...so yeah robofootfaults should be our future). 

• Love 3

Damn, Rafa/Stefanos was a little brutal. Rafa's looking like a man possessed. Still I'm tentatively hopeful since I swear he's just had the worse luck with Australian Open Finals. That six hour battle against Novak, those five straight game losses against Federer after being up a break in the fifth, etc. 

Speaking of beat downs, once they closed the roof, it was like both Petra and Collins became different players, except not so great for the latter. I'm happy for Petra. This will be one of those rare Finals that I'm not particularly rooting for one player because I like both Petra and Naomi. It would be nice for Naomi to have a Grand Slam win that's not marred by controversy but it would also be nice to see Petra win another Slam since her comeback. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I had never seen Collins play before last night but she seems like an unhinged bitch.  I would love to see her and Coco play each other. 

That was my exact thought as well.  Collins apparently self-describes herself as "feisty" which to me is code word for "I'm a nasty bitch so don't cross me".

Can somebody explain what she was constantly complaining about?  Was it the Cyclops going off too early?  Why would it do that?  It didn't seem to do it for Petra.  What was she saying something about how "I did it and I lost the point" or all that.  The commentators seemed to say that she had a valid point.  But it's not what you say, it's how you say it.  She comes across as needlessly confrontational.  Coco v2 is exactly right.

Happy for Petra.  She destroyed Collins in the second set.  I'd love for her to win the championship especially after the horrific attack on her.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Can somebody explain what she was constantly complaining about?  Was it the Cyclops going off too early?  Why would it do that?  It didn't seem to do it for Petra.  What was she saying something about how "I did it and I lost the point" or all that.  The commentators seemed to say that she had a valid point.  But it's not what you say, it's how you say it.  She comes across as needlessly confrontational.  Coco v2 is exactly right.

I didn't understand what she was bitching about either, and the commentators weren't helping saying she had a valid point but not explaining why.

Her nastiness was chilling, even more than Coco's.  

• Love 1
Just now, blackwing said:

If I'm not mistaken, I think the machine went off during her toss, which obviously meant it was malfunctioning but she served anyway and had an ace. However, because of the malfunction, Ramos declared a replay. And then on the replay, her serve was out. 

So her argument was that the malfunction, which wasn't her fault, didn't affect her or Petra it seemed, so why couldn't she just be given her point, versus replaying the serve and now she lost a first serve on the replay. I guess I did see the both sides and it's clear she was already frustrated and rattled. 

And I'm just laughing at the descriptions of her because as I said in a previous post, yeah I'll never forget her demeanor after she lost that marathon battle last year against Simona. I'm telling you, girl looked like if she could, she would have killed Simona, the umpire, the lines people, ball kids, etc. It was a little scary.

• Love 1

Rafa.  Damn.

Naomi and Petra are my two favorite female players.  I'm feeling not so great about the final for my emotional health.  Sigh.

Edited by Harry24
Spelling
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I had never seen Collins play before last night but she seems like an unhinged bitch.  I would love to see her and Coco play each other. 

My thoughts exactly. From the little I've seen of her in interviews and puff pieces, I'm not impressed. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

My thoughts exactly. From the little I've seen of her in interviews and puff pieces, I'm not impressed. 

Coco comes off as a spoiled, entitled bitch, but Collins looks like she'd kill somebody if she could.  Something just seems off with her. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Coco comes off as a spoiled, entitled bitch, but Collins looks like she'd kill somebody if she could.  Something just seems off with her. 

I get the same vibe. Like she'd pull a "Showgirls" and kick her opponent down the stairs to get a walkover into the next round. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Naomi and Petri are my two favorite female players.  I'm feeling not so great about the final for my emotional health.  Sigh.

I really like both of them as well. I think for now, though, I’m really pulling for Petra to make it all the way back to the top after that horrific attack. It just was such an horrific injury and you can tell it still sits just under the surface for her at times (her tears/shaky voice talking with Courier after she made the semis). I feel like we need to see her win. Having said that, congrats Naomi....as usually who I’m pulling for loses:). 

• Love 2

I'll be happy with either winning. As a leftie, I gravitate towards Petra and Rafa. But I love Naomi. Her enthusiasm is infectious. 

As for the upcoming match in a couple of hours, Joker in straight sets. I thought Tsistipas would be competitive with Rafa. Yikes. 

I fear a final 5-setter, and on hard courts, that favors Novak. Mr. Sumi is half Serbian, so I should root for his second generation immigrants, but like Roger, Novak leaves me cold. 

#teamrafa

• Love 1

Rafa vs. Novak Chapter 100. My Rafa loving heart can't take this stress. Man, it's been a battle for Rafa getting that second Australian Open title. I never make predictions on Rafa vs. Novak but it goes without saying who I would like to win.

• Love 4

I knew Rafa was going to beat Tsitsipas, but after Tsitsipas got chippy with him in the warm-up, I was like, oh son, that was not wise, be prepared to be SCHOOLED. I'm glad it was a bit of a beat down, cuz Stefanos had maybe gotten a little too big for his btiches. 

If there was a word that meant "resting bitch face" only it also included the entire body, gait, and voice, then Collins definitely has that affliction. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I knew Rafa was going to beat Tsitsipas, but after Tsitsipas got chippy with him in the warm-up, I was like, oh son, that was not wise, be prepared to be SCHOOLED. I'm glad it was a bit of a beat down, cuz Stefanos had maybe gotten a little too big for his btiches. 

Yeah, I agree, the young'un needed that beat down.  He seems like a nice young man, but hopefully he'll learn not to buy into the hype.   

• Love 1

Kudos to Naomi and Petra for both showing some amazing mental toughness tonight - Petra not even flinching when down three championship points and coming back to take the second set and Naomi having to battle against herself to hold it together after blowing three championship points. Thrilled for Naomi to finally get her moment. The Eurosport commentators were shading the USTA like nobody's business after she won, stressing how she'd finally get to enjoy her moment and actually celebrate her win. 

• Love 5

Aww that was sweet at the end.  Petra was obviously disappointed and Naomi appeared a little overwhelmed by it all but when Naomi got to the net Petra reached for her first.  That was a nice small moment.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I only wish Naomi's win could have been against Serena, just to bring everything full circle and put a period on it. 

Although had she played Serena, you just know the announcers would have constantly brought up last year.

• Love 4
On 1/25/2019 at 3:20 PM, TVbitch said:

knew Rafa was going to beat Tsitsipas, but after Tsitsipas got chippy with him in the warm-up, I was like, oh son, that was not wise, be prepared to be SCHOOLED. I'm glad it was a bit of a beat down, cuz Stefanos had maybe gotten a little too big for his btiches. 

Somehow I only just saw this. Wait, what happened? With the time difference, by the time I woke up, the first set was already done. 

eta: Well that was painful, lol. But kudos to Novak. It's not every day a player can make Rafa Nadal look almost ordinary on court. Strangely I thought Rafa seemed nervous and really tense right from the start and never could get it together which is rare for him. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Novak looked unbeatable, but I've never seen Rafa rattled like that. He usually has self-confidence and believe right down to the very last point. I skipped the trophy ceremony, did anyone say anything interesting? 

@truthaboutluv during the warm-up Tsitsipas was acting VERY confident (almost had a smugness about him) and actually fired some balls right at Rafa when Rafa was doing the net warm-up. Rafa was rightly annoyed and fired one back at him. 

• Love 1

That seems kind of odd to suddenly ditch the guy who took you from the low 60's in the rankings to two major wins.

Maybe Sasha wanted more money and they couldn't reach a deal?

22 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I hope it was amicable.  I also hope she hasn't bought into any hype about her. 

I agree. Eugenie Bouchard bought into the hype and tanked pretty quickly. I hope Naomi has a better head on her shoulders.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

That reminds me that I was wanting to ask you guys if you knew why Cahill split with Simona again? 

I believe he did it to have more time with his family. They seem to be on good terms.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

That reminds me that I was wanting to ask you guys if you knew why Cahill split with Simona again? 

He was pretty convincing that he truly wanted to be with his family and nearly-grown kids before they left home.  Also, he was still helping Simona at the Oz Open, so I'm pretty sure that split's truly amicable.

Now Sloane and Kumau ... 

Jinx!!! dcalley

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 1