Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Kimmy Gets a Job!

I wasn't sure about episode 1.  Then again I am not a big sitcom person so this was never going to be a big big big hit for me.  If this was ok lets say NBC (Ha!) I probably wouldn't have bothered with the 2nd episode but I thought it was MUCH MUCHG better.  Not sure I will binge on this show like I did with just a bout everything else Netflixy But I will probably get through all the episodes eventually.

I like Kimmy and the Voorhees family stuff looks interesting and will probably be where most of the laughs (at least for me) come from.  The only character that does nothing for me at the moment is the roommate.  I am hoping he will grow on me as the show continues.  

I like Kimmy and the Voorhees family stuff looks interesting and will probably be where most of the laughs (at least for me) come from.  The only character that does nothing for me at the moment is the roommate.  I am hoping he will grow on me as the show continues.  

I actually skipped his scenes entirely. Does nothing for me either. Worse than doing nothing, I find the actor's line delivery cringe-worthy. The rest is pretty great though!

And he is very familiar with Disney s copyright laws!

"It say`s recommended for ages 12 and up Kimmy! 12 and up!"  

I loved those books and read them for WAY beyond 12. I can relate. 

• Love 8

Oh yeah, the Babysitter's Club book takes me back. To a time when kids read about babysitting entrepreneurs and not some chick who wraps her whole life around her dangerous centuries older boyfriend. Is it any wonder Xanthippe's little teenage friends thinks it's so cool to have an old dude who apparently hates his wife for a boyfriend? It does give Xan some layers that she still enjoys Babysitter's Club. She is afraid to be different from her peers because people often are afraid to be different at that age. But she's an outlier on the inside. I kind of feel like she and Kimmy should become great friends eventually, even though she hates Kimmy now.

I love that they kept the Durnsville neighbor's "It's a miracle!" face and gesture for the opening credits. That was one of my favorite parts from the first episode.

When Kimmy said she is proficient in Word Perfect and whatever that typing program was, it's hard for me to imagine what it would be like to miss the last 15 years of changes in technology. I can see why Kimmy would still use cassette tapes, but why would Titus still buy them from Columbia House? I guess that was supposed to be "funny because it makes no sense".

I liked the digs at modern parenting. The daughter with the "unique name" (Xanthippe? But a little Googling did tell me that was the name of Socrates' wife. So it's a "classy unique name"). The huge child's birthday party that is meant more to serve some adult's vanity than for the child. After Kimmy said she'll "do better" when Jacqueline was unhappy with how childish the party decorations and stuff were and not as stylish as she would like... I didn't notice any change in later scenes. Was there any?

It's sad how true it is that a million bucks would seem low to someone as rich as Jacqueline. When she said "he was DTF", my face was like Kimmy's: "What the hell does that mean?" (Took me a minute, but hey, I figured out the last two words before consulting Google.) Oh well, at least I know IMHO is not a pancake house. I love Kimmy's "WTF?" face. It was used a lot in this episode.

Kimmy trying to sing while nannying like Mary Poppins "Take it / ten seconds at a time, oooh..." Hee!

Kimmy really does look like "Chica Hamburguesa".

I thought Titus would somehow become part of the superhero themed party. I didn't figure he would be there to let the kid beat him up, though. Yikes, poor Titus.

"He's been in Japan a lot lately. You can get a mistress in a vending machine there." So wrong, but bwhaha!

• Love 6

Kimmy really does look like "Chica Hamburguesa"

The maid (Lena?) calling Kimmy this made me laugh so hard, as I was watching this episode in bed at 3AM. God bless Netflix.

• Love 4

I laughed at the piñata being called a Mexican candy machine.

Loved the Babysitters Club novel reference! I only read the regular BSC books, none of the mystery books or the spinoffs with the younger kids but I love that Xanthippe just straight ripped off the entire plot.

When Kimmy said she is proficient in Word Perfect and whatever that typing program was, it's hard for me to imagine what it would be like to miss the last 15 years of changes in technology.

Mavis Beacon! At my first real job, they hired a woman who hadn't worked since her kids were born about ten years earlier. This was back around 2000 so not everyone had the internet at home yet. This lady was a single mom and pretty broke when they hired her, so she had not kept up on the latest technology. She had no clue about anything that had to do with the computer. You remember that message that used to pop up when there was an attachment in an email asking if it came from a trusted source and if you REALLY wanted to open it? She would freak out about stuff like that. It was a huge adjustment for her to deal with email, the internet, Excel, etc. I think the leap for Kimmy is slightly smaller but I can imagine it's still pretty overwhelming for her. When she was kidnapped back in 2000, people had cell phones but not smart phones. When she asked if the phone was a  Macintosh, I laughed.

After Kimmy said she'll "do better" when Jacqueline was unhappy with how childish the party decorations and stuff were and not as stylish as she would like... I didn't notice any change in later scenes. Was there any?

At the party, I noticed that she added a banner with little flags inside the kitchen. There was also a photo booth and the rack of costumes inside the kitchen so I guess Kimmy added those too, but I'm not sure how she would have even known that photo booths were a thing at parties. The biggest thing that bothered me was that she was making all those cupcakes. You'd think that Jacqueline would have just given her the phone number of a caterer to bring food and dessert.

A definite improvement over the first episode, but I thought that one was good too.

I laughed until I cried at Titus doing his own Lion King, what cat owners among us hasn't done it at least once? I know I have.

I still can't decide how I feel about Xanthippe. On the one hand, I get that she's supposed to be annoying, but on the other, she's just so annoying that I don't even find her that funny (excluding "Those books are recommended for ages 12 and up! 12 and up, Kimmy!) and kind of wish she'd just fall down a hole or something. However, I think she makes a good foil/antagonist for Kimmy because she's about the same age that Kimmy was when she was abducted. In a lot of ways, Kimmy is still that little girl, so I think it makes for a nice contrast. But I just find the portrayal of teenage girls weird on this show. My high school friends and I were losers and barely talked to boys we weren't friends with, let alone shower with married men, but it just skeeves me out (I get that it's a comedy/satire, but still). Also, it's hard to buy Xan as a 15-year-old when the actress doesn't look a day younger than 25.

If there was an Emmy for reaction shots, Ellie Kemper should get it.

"I don't know, Chica Hamburguesa. I don't know."

"But I already did something todayyyyyy."

"Who among us is the perfect foot slut?"

ETA: Loved the Mavis Beacon shout-out. That was the program we used in middle school when we were learning to type. My best friend had such an irrational hatred of Mavis, I nearly jumped out of my seat when Kimmy said it, it brought back so many memories.

Edited by helenamonster
  • Love 1

Seeing more of the Voorhees (ha!) family was great.  Not sure if this is a compliment or not, but Jane Krakowski really has a knack for playing these type of vain, delusional characters.  But that type of character is a perfect one for Kimmy to play off of.

I didn't enjoy the Titus plot as much, but I still got a kick out of the low-rent Lion King "play", and seeing all those various knock-off costumes.

Glad that they're still having flashbacks to Kimmy's time in the doomsday cult.

The actress playing Xanthippe was the best friend of the younger daughter in Chasing Life. It took me half of this episode to figure it out.