Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

But I honestly cannot understand on any level how Kurt has been ruined in that relationship

I don't think the writers ever figured out  what "purpose" Blaine fits in in Kurt's life, since the Kurt character's main focus always seemed to  be  to be accepted for being himself in the  outside world.    That's pretty much been his SL since Season One but paradoxically the  show has always vacillated in whether he will succeed.  It really is a mixed bag since they seemed to  finally have him doing thriving  in NYADA but  then they threw in the Shirley McClaine SL  where she basically told Kurt:  "Fuck you,  you flaming gay, you're still have no outside appeal".   Ryan Murphy seems beyond obsessed with flaming gays versus gays who pass for straight which makes me wonder how much self loathing the guy has.  I can't help but think Ryan regularly  got the shit beat out of him back in Indiana in between "servicing " football players with whom he was "popular".

So shipping Kurt  back to Lima seems an admission by the show  that he's not going to succeed or have focus with the last remaining SL started in Season 1.   It just strikes me as bizarre.  The show runners will probably rather show Karofsky fucking Blaine for 6 episodes because that is what Ryan gets off on, just like the interminable homoerotic Blam friendship.    So in that context, yea, the Kurt character is ruined because his journey will change from finding his place in the sun to simply  being an  accessory in some contrived  happily ever after gay pairing to pander to shippers.  In contrast, I agree that Blaine has never really been much of a character, he's more a cypher so when they load more shit on his character it's not good, but there wasn't much there to begin with.   Kurt was different.  Or at least he started different.;

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3
So, do y'all think Kurt is going to be portrayed as the one in the wrong for breaking up with Blaine? Or will Blaine be the bad guy since he 's dating Dave?

That's the thing though, these writers are so god-awful and shitty, that I actually don't think they mean to have either necessarily be a "bad guy". It's like the fighting when Blaine first got to New York. I honestly think they thought they were writing some awesome storyline about "adult reality" and neither was necessarily meant to be a bad guy but rather both flawed in some way. The problem again is that they SUCK so badly that the execution is always a convoluted mess where instead Blaine looked like some clingy psycho suffocating Kurt. This is all in their minds, I imagine, creating angst and tension so I don't think we're meant to blame Kurt or Blaine but yeah good luck with that, when they now have Blaine date the guy who told Kurt he would kill him if he told anyone he was gay. Like everytime I think of this, I just have no words.

So shipping Kurt  back to Lima seems an admission by the show  that he's not going to succeed or have focus with the last remaining SL started in Season 1.   It just strikes me as bizarre.

But the thing is, if all the spoilers are to be believed, yes he comes to Lima but they create some convenient storyline of his helping the Glee Club counting for credit and by all accounts he's still at NYADA thriving. Contrast this with the spoiler stating that after he and Blaine broke up, Blaine was so pathetic over that that he flunked out of school and went back home to Ohio. Which means that the full destruction of the character is complete because for all the "he wins too much, he sings too much, he's always portrayed in canon as so talented", he ends up back in Ohio a washed up failure who flunked out because he got dumped 

I won't deny that the writers never had a clear plan and outline for Blaine's character and I've said that many times before and it's another reason I've defended Darren against all the claims that he didn't understand his character enough because he is such a weak actor. In my opinion a lot of the failure of the character falls on the writing. He was created to be a perfect boyfriend for Kurt and once he and the pairing got popular, any writer with even some average skill would have made a decent effort to sketch a full outline for the character. But not Glee, they just kept whinging it and so he instead just became used as a human jukebox and a puppet for creating "angst" in the Kurt/Blaine relationship.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Is it possible Blaine is dating Dave for the sole purpose of making Kurt jealous?

Oh believe me the thought crossed my mind and that would actually make it even worse. Yes, pretend to date the guy who terrorized your ex to make him jealous but again with Murphy and company, I wouldn't be surprised. 

Ryan Murphy seems beyond obsessed with flaming gays versus gays who pass for straight which makes me wonder how much self loathing the guy has.  I can't help but think Ryan regularly  got the shit beat out of him back in Indiana in between "servicing " football players with whom he was "popular".

Being able to analyze Ryan Murphy's psychological issues via his writing is one of the few enjoyable things about Glee. Season 2 was an absolute orgy of Kurt-as-RM-avatar wish fulfillment: so hilariously over-the-top and obvious. His comments about "post-Glee gay" are just cringeworthy - yeah, Ry, you solved that whole homophobia thing with your crappy little show, mazel tov. Ughh. And this spoiler about the "cocky gay football player" seems like yet another foray into RM's feverish teen fantasies, nothing more.

Is it possible Blaine is dating Dave for the sole purpose of making Kurt jealous?

If it is, it certainly shows how mature and truly ready for marriage Blaine is. Not to mention manipulative and borderline creepy ("see, I'm fucking the guy who bullied you in high school, you like that?, you could have had me but now he does", etc).

• Love 2

I guess I disagree that the writers ever intended to make Kurt the bad guy in these situations and that the viewers were meant to see him as such and judging by the comments on many boards, I certainly never got the impression he was. Sure, the people who already hated the character and so would criticize him for anything saw it that way but I honestly cannot remember anyone who wasn't a biased viewer, truly hating or blaming Kurt for Blaine's cheating. And I as I said above, I actually don't think the writers believe that they're making either guy a "bad guy" but rather creating amazing "angst and drama."

Doesn't the spoiler state he broke off the engagement due to him and Blaine fighting?

The spoiler states that they kept fighting when Blaine moved back in and Kurt decided it was a sign they were too young to get married and broke things off. I know RIB aren't worth shit with their writing but I see no way that that was written with the intent to make it seem like Kurt is a bad guy. And when Blaine cheated and told Kurt he was lonely and many interpreted it as Blaine blaming Kurt, I never saw it as that being the writers' intent. I think the intent was to give perspective, weak as it was, to why Blaine did what he did. Right or wrong, those were his reasons for his actions and Kurt rightly, lest we forget countered with the fact that he too had had moments of being lonely in NY but never cheated. So I never saw the writers as trying to make Blaine cheating Kurt's fault.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Glee is this strange topsy tervy world where the hero is the guy who cheats on his boyfriend and the girl that we're supposed to sympathize with and root for is the one who walks all over everyone to get what she wants and carelessly throws it all away each time she thinks a better opportunity comes along. So making Kurt out to be the bad guy because he ended an engagement for every good and rational reason because it make Blaine so sad that he flunked out of school... yeah, I can see them trying that.

The problem is that I just don't see the audience buying it. Most people would understand and agree that calling off an engagement when you're fighting all the time and at least one of the people involved is unhappy is the right thing to do.

So, do y'all think Kurt is going to be portrayed as the one in the wrong for breaking up with Blaine? Or will Blaine be the bad guy since he 's dating Dave?

Probably neither. They'll just puke up something about soulmates, sing about their epic love and forget how these two can't stand to be around each other once they stop singing. They'll probably also give Dave something they think is awesome and tell us we should be proud of him for stopping hitting people and that makes him the biggest hero to ever appear on the show.

The true lesson of Glee: stop hitting people and you get to fuck that guy who was doing the guy you actually preferred but didn't really seem into.

Edited by penpen
  • Love 1

The more I think about the song choices for the Loser Like Me, the more I realize that that the show has completely divorced the meaning of songs from how they use them on Glee. The only reason why they're going to have Rachel sing Let it Go is because someone in the writers room (RM likely) is indulging his perpetual boner for having Lea imitating better and more iconic singers that she bears a passing resemblance to (physically and vocally). The song is a lousy fit for Rachel's story where it stands now and the only reason she's singing it is because the show keeps wanting to link Rachel/Lea of Idina Menzel. The lyrics of the song are all about breaking rules because they don't apply to the singer and she's going to chart her own way no mater what.

The problem? Not following rules or the advice of others is just what got Rachel into the mess that she's currently in. So we've got another nomination in the Wrong Song/Wrong Singer/Wrong Storyline listing.

So we've got another nomination in the Wrong Song/Wrong Singer/Wrong Storyline listing.

I'd be more upset if I wasn't bracing myself for that next time they make Darren Criss do an overwrought acoustic version of whatever will make Kurt claim to love Blaine again for as long as he can stand living with him. Anybody have an egg timer app?

Sigh, any lingering hope they forget about Santana?

I'm going to make Santana dates a guy and makes angry lesbian jokes until such time they either happen or I get to be extremely wrong. Please let me be wrong. This is all that's left of this show that might matter even a little.

I actually think Santana/Brittany, Puck/Quinn, and Will/Emma will all be fine as couples.  Mainly because

• In Santana's/Brittany's case they are only guesting on 3-4 episodes
  • In Puck's/Quinn's case one half of the couple will probably only be on a episode or two and the other half won't be on at all if Dianna's busy film schedule keeps up.  As for why Puck visits I think they will say he is home seeing his (off-screen) family
  • In Will/Emma's case there is no guarantee they will get Emma back at all so, while I think we will see Daniel, I think Emma will be a stay at home mom off screen

Blaine/Kurt are getting hosed because they are the new A couple and on this show, like so many others, the A couple gets dysfunctional crud writing only to be slapped back together in the last 5 minutes of the series.  See Ross/Rachel compared to Chandler/Monica.  Sure Monica was an annoying  caricature of herself by the end of the series but Chandler/Monica as a couple worked through their problems in a fairly mature fashion while Ross/Rachel continued their dysfunctional dance right up until the slapped together reunion.  

Unfortunately for Klaine's fans, with Finn's death, Blaine/Kurt moved from being Chandler/Monica to being Ross/Rachel.  I am guessing Sam/Mercedes will now fill the Chandler/Monica slot.  

Edited by camussie

So I never saw the writers as trying to make Blaine cheating Kurt's fault.

Maybe not in The Break-Up, but by the time of Puppet Master, that idea was floated around. Edited by indeed
  • Love 2

maybe not in The Break-Up, but by the time of Puppet Master, that idea was floated around.

It might matter if they were even trying to make them functional, but lol Blaine's fucking Dave and it's hard to care after that. Sure, just fling some glitter at the wedding and I'm sure somebody out there might be into it. There's a lid for every pot, but nobody who has actually been in a decent relationship is going to enjoy this.

But the thing is, if all the spoilers are to be believed, yes he comes to Lima but they create some convenient storyline of his helping the Glee Club counting for credit and by all accounts he's still at NYADA thriving. Contrast this with the spoiler stating that after he and Blaine broke up, Blaine was so pathetic over that that he flunked out of school and went back home to Ohio. Which means that the full destruction of the character is complete because for all the "he wins too much, he sings too much, he's always portrayed in canon as so talented", he ends up back in Ohio a washed up failure who flunked out because he got dumped

However the writers  don't view it as the destruction of his character, far from it.   Blaine's  so called downfall will probably encompass something like 20 solos, tons of screen time and a redemption arc where he will be portrayed as a "hero".  He was literally called that after the cheating SL of Season 4.    Meanwhile the Warblers will all dance around Blaine solos and Karofsky will fuck him off screen for plenty of dramatic angst, all the time Glee showing Blaine's POV that Kurt is his one true love.  I'm sure the whole Karofsky hookup is a contrived follow back to Kurt.  OTOH, Kurt will get one group number and five minutes of cameo appearances for ten episodes for his character to remain unscathed.

The writers make Blaine commit all these asshole things but in their minds it's to give him dramatic heft/weight so  in the long run he's not portrayed  as being a genuinely  bad person, but simply flawed in that he loves Kurt soo much and is overwhelmed by things.  He's the de facto lead male character now  so they need to invent storylines for him to justify that position.  I'm sure that Ryan Murphy thinks this Karofsky/Blaine pairing is a fascinating and provocative theme. 

For obvious reasons they dare not give Kurt an actual mid game LI with plenty of screen time in S6 because now that would disrupt the cart and make Kurt a POV leading character again and his acting could make  a non Klaine engame too much a possibility.   The irony is that the Kurt character doesn't need to end up being with Blaine for the series finale to have a happy ending  whereas it's imperative for the Blaine character to finally get his "prize" of Kurt to justify his existence on the show, otherwise what's the point of him?

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
However the writers  don't view it as the destruction of his character, far from it.

But that's exactly the point I made above. I know they don't view it that way which is why I said I don't think they ever intend for either to be seen as a bad guy but the whole point is that they are such mediocre hacks, that's the result that comes of their shitty writing. When I speak about the destruction of the character, I'm speaking from the perspective of a viewer. And I maintain, in my opinion, that other than some die-hard Blaine/Darren Criss fans, Blaine has become a complete and utter mess in the eyes of the viewers intentional or not on the part of the writers and the "conscious coupling" with Karofksy sure as hell isn't going to help change that. 

As for the stuff about Kurt, YMMV but this reminds me of all the arguments about his not getting enough POV in S4 and his screentime being reduced which was all true, but at this point I personally feel like, I'd rather my favorite character have no POV on this show and almost no screentime if screentime and so called POV equates to the mess that a character like Blaine is and what they turned Tina into when they focused their attention on her.

Again, reiterating what I stated above - at the end of the day, Kurt will likely still end the show a good, kind, forgiving person who loved and cared about his father, friends and loved ones. Bad things happened to him but he always rose above and succeeded and triumphed. And in my book, that's pretty good. At most those who loved the character will be pissed that he got saddled with that greasy nutcase Blaine if they do get back together but Blaine, well when it's all said and done he'll be a greasy, lighthouse-fucking creepy, abusive psycho who manipulated Kurt into taking him back.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I know among the utter shit-fest of the rest of the spoilers it's a minor point, but I'm laughing over the fact that apparently Rachel, Kurt, Blaine and probably Sam all move back in with their parents for their Lima regression. It's like the show would make them Seniors again at McKinley High if they could.

I'm sure FOX is muttering " what the holy fuck was the point of letting Ryan Murphy graduate them at the end of season 3. "

• Love 2

Maybe not in The Break-Up, but by the time of Puppet Master, that idea was floated around.

True. And it was being hinted at before even that.

In 5x01 (the episode of the 'epic' proposal), in the major Klaine retcon scene right before the marching band came in, they had Blaine say that he "thought you [Kurt] were done with me. I thought it was over, I thought I was completely out of the picture in your life." to shut Kurt up when he brought the cheating up.

Imo that was the writers trying to put the (partial) blame on Kurt again for being the one who was so occupied with his new life in New York that he gave the impression to poor Blaine they were no longer together (no matter that on the day that Blaine cheated Kurt had called him to confiirm that Blaine would come to NY 2 weeks later, so I call BS on that).

Which reminds me that Blaine already said in 4x07 to Sam (in the same scene Sam called him a hero, ugh) "It felt like Kurt was moving on with his life and I wasn't part of it".

(and blegh, I had to go back and rewatch those scenes to make sure I wasn't imagining things)

Though both scenes could be taken strictly as Blaine's POV of the matter (as he 'felt' it) it was never clearly recognized/stated as simply his insecurity letting his imagination run wild, and that a supposed neglect of Kurt was not part of the actual reason why Blaine did what he did and they broke up.

Add to that Kurt's POV was never shown throughout the storyline to contradict/defend or balance out that one-sided opinion on the matter. But there were a lot of crying Blaine solos.

To bring this back to the spoilers:

I also don't think the writers ever wanted to strictly make Blaine the 'bad' guy in all the Klaine fights. I'm sure they thought they were writing very balanced and clever equally-to-blame/struggling-together-to-make-it-work storylines for Klaine, but the execution of it all was such utter crap that after every new episode it made Blaine look more like a whiny spineless mess who seriously needs some therapy.

Otoh Kurt came out of it looking better simply because his character was already well established and developed long before Blaine even came along (and in contrary Blaine got almost nill development), and although they tried at times the writers weren't able to regress/destroy Kurt as a character that much, or make him the 'bad' guy in general. Kurt not getting too much POV (but Chris milking it every time to get the message across anyway) also helped, as the less he said or did the less he (or better said: the writers) could do something awfully wrong.

With these new spoilers however I'm not so sure: it could go either way.

My bet, based on past patterns and behaviour, is that Blaine will get the sympathy edit again like he did after the cheating (which was completely his own fault but he somehow ended up as the victim). He'll get the screentime and the songs, the pep talks from Sam and everyone's sympathy, the midgame relationship. Even making him a loser is part of the tricks they'll use to make him a tragic hero again, overcoming all his heartbreaks 'against all odds' (pun intented).

So with all that attention for Blaine I already see in the spoilers, it's only logical to assume that Kurt won't get all this propping up and "poor baby" woobifying. In the first episode back Kurt won't get any songs while Blaine will get 2 (one even with Rachel, when it's Kurt who will be working with her in ND!).

And while Blaine's pityful backsliding out of NYADA after they broke up will have already happened off screen, with him supposedly already being comforted and happy again with a new relationship and his Warblers position, Kurt will travel to Lima to beg Blaine to come back, only to get a slap in the face on screen when Blaine tells him he's with his old bully now. Now tell me that ain't some twisted form of intented payback. But Kurt will still get no song to sing about it.

Adding all this up I think the main focus will definitely be on Blaine, so they can build him up again, not only his career but also his character, which suffered greatly in the last 2 seasons, same as Rachel's. The sympathy of the writers will therefore be with Blaine, or at least that's what they'll try to sell us we should feel also, so that almost inevitably deducts to the writers putting most of the blame, and certainly the grovelling, on Kurt.

I hope I'm wrong though.

There could be another reason for the Karofsky/Blaine pairing.

Blaine realizes that getting back together with Kurt isn't healthy for him until he really gets his shit together and is less clingy/needy. He comes to the realization he's hurting himself and/or Kurt in a relationship. He finds out that Kurt is coming back to try reconnect with him and in a panic asked Dave , with whom he now has a friendship to help him out with a staged romance.

Blaine figures the one way to keep him and Kurt apart is fabricating a relationship with the most unlikely pairing possible and ensure he doesn't slip back in a relationship hastily. He figures that Kurt will be repulsed into stepping away from a reconciliation that he's afraid he couldn't refuse otherwise.

Of course the odds of this being the scenario ( Blaine doing something to keep himself away from Kurt) are very slim to none.

• Love 1

The idea of trying to make Kurt the "bad guy" in the break up because Blaine flunked out of school is really stretching things, IMO. I never got the impression that NYADA really meant anything to Blaine. He seemed interested in attending primarily in order to be close to Kurt, and once there wasn't exactly working hard in his classes (which he arranged to match Kurt's schedule despite the fact that Kurt was at least a full semester ahead of him). He certainly wasn't working all that hard in the stage combat class (where he was too busy shoving cheese puffs into his face) or his midwinter critique (that he blew by doing a duet with Rachel instead of the assigned solo). His behavior reminds me a lot of how Jesse St James talked about how he flunked out of college - surprised that they actually had standards and expected him to do work.

Relationships end all the time and no matter how badly upset you are, it doesn't justify having your whole life fall apart on you. Kurt managed to hold down his job at Vogue as well as go through his audition by fire and then start his classes at NYADA while dealing with the emotional fallout of his break up with Blaine. Being upset that your fiancé doesn't think that either of you are ready to be married after months of fighting does not justify letting your classes slide to the point that you flunk out of school. That's all on Blaine being a clingy, weak mess excuse for a human being. I guess that if Blaine doesn't have a constant infusion of people telling him how amazing he is and that he's a "hero" when he fucks up, he goes totally to pieces.

I really wish that the show just would let the guys break up and stay broken up at this point. My worst fear is that Kurt will not only reconcile with Blaine, but will drop out of NYADA and stay in Ohio so that Blaine can continue to relive his glory days at Dalton. The hell with Kurt's own dreams and ambitions.

Edited by Hana Chan
As for the stuff about Kurt, YMMV but this reminds me of all the arguments about his not getting enough POV in S4 and his screentime being reduced which was all true, but at this point I personally feel like, I'd rather my favorite character have no POV on this show and almost no screentime if screentime and so called POV equates to the mess that a character like Blaine is and what they turned Tina into when they focused their attention on her.

Here's the thing with me:  Kurt was a leading character, he's still one of only 3 original young characters from Season One  (Rachel and Artie being the others) who is still a regular on the show.  (Supposedly Amber may be this year but who knows?).

Artie has never gotten leading character status or all that much focus, for all that I think he's been grossly underutilized.  Naya/Santana has been for all intents and purposes trumpeted as demoted on the show.

Kurt was different, at least at one  point he was.

Like an idiot, I thought for this last season that maybe, just maybe they would give Kurt some focus/SL attention and POV as a leading character,  but I have a hunch even with a stripped down cast it's not going to happen.  If anything, setting the last season in Ohio/McKinley/Carmel/Dalton is going to increase the number of peripheral characters that will get focus and distract Ryan Murphy even more for these last 13 episodes.  Already we have Warblers, Karofsky and Vocal Adrenaline.

I don't want Kurt to get five minutes of limted screentime per episode  as the required price not to destroy his character.

Oh well.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

In 5x01 (the episode of the 'epic' proposal), in the major Klaine retcon scene right before the marching band came in, they had Blaine say that he "thought you [Kurt] were done with me. I thought it was over, I thought I was completely out of the picture in your life." to shut Kurt up when he brought the cheating up.

Imo that was the writers trying to put the (partial) blame on Kurt again for being the one who was so occupied with his new life in New York that he gave the impression to poor Blaine they were no longer together (no matter that on the day that Blaine cheated Kurt had called him to confiirm that Blaine would come to NY 2 weeks later, so I call BS on that).

Which reminds me that Blaine already said in 4x07 to Sam (in the same scene Sam called him a hero, ugh) "It felt like Kurt was moving on with his life and I wasn't part of it".

(and blegh, I had to go back and rewatch those scenes to make sure I wasn't imagining things)

Frankly, I don't think so. 5x01 was simply a recall of the 4x07 scene, which I think was the only one where they had Blaine honestly self-reflect about the cheating. It's not equal to blaming Kurt imo. But in 5x01 they also tacked on a reference to a thousand conversations they apparently had on this topic, without actually ever showing any of that onscreen. That's what's skewing things A LOT. in that instance, and makes people scratch their heads. As in many other cases, the omission also lends a different meaning than what they intended. They are just completely insensitive to how it comes out on screen when they, as Ryan admitted, like to dwell only on the "big moments".

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

I don't think the issue is whether the show retroactively blamed Kurt for the cheating, quite frankly other than die hard Blaine/Darren Stans I think most sane viewers could see that nothing justified the breach in their relationship that Blaine committed by fucking a random stranger.

The bigger problem and the current spoilers reinforce it, is that the Glee writers think they can have the characters do *anything* and the viewers will see it as acceptable and plausible within the Glee fantasy. The writers think that the viewers are so "in love" with these characters they can twist them into any plot contortion. (FWIW these writers have a permanent hard on for the Blaine character. ). They cannibalize their previous repeated storylines to the point they even ruin prior good moments on the show. More than anything I think that is why the ratings plummeted and the audience fled, they were exhausted by the writing and said "no mas".

Having Blaine whether in a real or even fabricated romantic relationship with some one who had a graphic history of physically tormenting and threatening the life his soulmate is just wrong on too many levels to count . It has nothing to do with "forgiving" or "redeeming " Karofsky, it's just awkwardly creepy in the way having Blaine run off and fuck a Facebook guy in like 3 seconds was, so that the screentime used to redeem Blaine and give this SL focus and songs already has distanced the audience. It has nothing with "hating" Blaine/Darren as his Stans claim  in Pavlovian self defense.

It has everything to do with show runners who are so detached that have no concept how badly these storylines come across.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Frankly, I don't think so. 5x01 was simply a recall of the 4x07 scene, which I think was the only one where they had Blaine honestly self-reflect about the cheating. It's not equal to blaming Kurt imo. But in 5x01 they also tacked on a reference to a thousand conversations they apparently had on this topic, without actually ever showing any of that onscreen. That's what's skewing things A LOT. in that instance, and makes people scratch their heads. As in many other cases, the omission also lends a different meaning than what they intended. They are just completely insensitive to how it comes out on screen when they, as Ryan admitted, like to dwell only on the "big moments".

I think this is why it's all so unsatisfying: it's all tell (usually in a quick-fix, awkward throw away line) and no show. What they show is purely the drama, which consists mostly of negative things like fights or OTT romantic gestures that therefore look insincere because so much is left inbetween beginning and ending that never gets dealt with.

And it also tries to manipulate te viewers into seeing things in a certain light, wanting us to side with 1 character in the conflict.

Kurt's POV being practically non-excistent in the season 4 cheating storyline (and even in most Klaine storylines in season 5) was imo what did quite a lot of damage to the pairing, as only Blaine's side of the story was explained, including his own limited look on how and why things really happened.

Because Kurt's side was never told, while Blaine got the sympathy/hero edit, it seemed like Kurt's feelings, thoughts and pain didn't matter much, and some people even therefore thought he was rather cold, indifferent and not that invested in his relationship (which was ironically used during the cheating storyline as part of the reason why Blaine cheated in the first place).

I fully expect that season 6 will be no different.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Love 1

My worst fear is that Kurt will not only reconcile with Blaine, but will drop out of NYADA and stay in Ohio so that Blaine can continue to relive his glory days at Dalton. The hell with Kurt's own dreams and ambitions.

Well Ryan Murphy doesn't get to have his barf-worthy "I'm home" ending with Rachel giving up Broadway and returning to the alleged hellhole Lima to be a townie with twu wuv Finn, so maybe this is the next best thing for him. Do any of the writers remember the premise of the pilot and how getting out of Lima was a dream for these kids?? Why the crap are literally all of them voluntarily coming back there?! *screams into a paper bag*

• Love 1

The answer to that question is easy - because RM has decided the choir room is the most important character on the show.  Not sure when that switch was flipped but I would say around the time Fox nixed his spin-off idea.  Finn's story was the first casualty of it - he went from the guy who wanted to prove himself away from Lima/McKinley to the guy whose fate was to learn to accept that he was never really meant to leave, not even to go to college.  I mean it would have been one thing for him to leave to go to college and then make the conscious choice to return to McKinley to teach because that is where he decided that is where he wants to be.  It was quite another for him to never leave the place because he simply never has the ambition nor courage to try to do something away from there.

The "I'm home" ending would have been much more about underscoring the importance of that choir room than about Rachel/Finn's story.  Basically it was the ultimate way to say - see this room was the heart of the show.  So much so that two characters who BOTH started out wanting to leave Lima ended up there as the curtain went down on the show.  Anyway since RM can't have that ending he is now bringing everyone else back as a way to sell his "choir room uber alles" story.  It sucked when it was just Finn's story for the final 3 seasons and when it was the ending RM planned for Finn & Rachel and it sucks now.  

I still hold out hope that most of them escape that place.  For Blaine & Kurt I think there is a good chance they will.  Not so sure about Rachel.

Edited to add - I am one who believes that part of the final season needs to include a revival of new directions but the way they are going about it torpedoes almost all of the characters' long term stories.  

Edited by camussie

I saw this analogy the other day the writers are now trying to put a square in to a round hole.

Rachel and Kurt do not fit in the choir room anymore no matter how much you try to shove them in there.

I think that went for Finn's story too though.  At least AFTER he found his dream.  They basically had a plan in place to where he would skip right over college student, finding his way in the world, to Will 2.0 (because honestly how much does anyone believe we would have seen Finn's life outside of the walls of McKinley?)  A story like that simply isn't a good fit for ANY recently graduated high school student.  Not Finn. (It could have been a good fit for him once he graduated  college and chose to come back to McKinley).  Not Rachel, Blaine, or Kurt.  Not even Sam unless they truly keep him as volunteer assistant (i.e. not take over for Beiste like Finn took over for Will and was planned to again) while he takes classes.

That is why, while I think these stories are dumb as heck, I don't find them all that surprising.  Since season 4 RM has been willing to torpedo anything and everything, including lead characters' arcs, as long as the choir room was treated as the most important character on the show.  

Edited to add - the only way to make this somewhat tolerable is if they have Sue or someone making continuous jabs about creepy graduates/college drop-outs hanging out at their old high school.  Heck have some of high school students do that like many of use did when we were in HS about those one or two creepy grads that always seemed to be milling about.

Edited by camussie

Chris  recorded today..

Considering that we've got a core cast that has been reduced to 6, it would be imbecilic not to have Chris singing a lot more than he has in the past two seasons (along with Kevin, who also has been woefully shortchanged). Admittedly last season Chris did get heavy feature in a lot of duets and in some prominent group songs, but for him to have only one real solo the entire season was beyond laughable.

• Love 1

Chris  recorded today..

Happy and afraid at the same time. My fear is that they have him singing some song where he is crooning for Blaine. I have this very bothersome feeling that anyone singing this last season will either be singing pick yourself up or you are a star songs for Rachel or either sappy love songs about how much Blaine and Kurt love each other and have true love. It's frustrating because I feel strongly about Rachel, Blaine, Mr. Shue having the bulk of all songs no matter who may be in the episode. Just like season 4 when they tried to make Brittany, Blaine and Sam the lead characters at McKinley (what a clusterf*ck that was). They tried so hard to make Brittany a singer (bless her she's a dancer and really can't sing that well and wore out the auto-tune button) Blaine and Sam sang the majority of the songs even though they had Tina and Artie both with beautiful voices pretty much sitting on the sidelines along with a lot of the rest of the cast. So yay for Chris (Kurt) getting some attention in the studio. Still waiting for Mercedes and Santana. So afraid what this show is going to do to these 2 this season. I want to have them both on my screen but at the same time I want them far away from the pen of these writers who do nothing more than assassinate its characters. So hopefully the song distribution will even out after the first episode because it really is looking like the Rachel and Blaine Variety Show right now. No me gusta!

Happy and afraid at the same time. My fear is that they have him singing some song where he is crooning for Blaine. I have this very bothersome feeling that anyone singing this las

t season will either be singing pick yourself up or

you are a star songs for Rachel or either sappy

love songs about how much Blaine and Kurt

love each other and have true love. It's

frustrating because I feel strongly about Rachel,

Blaine, Mr. Shue having the bulk of all songs no

matter who may be in the episode. Just like

season 4 when they tried to make Brittany,

Blaine and Sam the lead characters at McKinley

(what a clusterf*ck that was). They tried so hard

to make Brittany a singer (bless her she's a

dancer and really can't sing that well and wore

out the auto-tune button) Blaine and Sam sang

the majority of the songs even though they had

Tina and Artie both with beautiful voices pretty

much sitting on the sidelines along with a lot of

the rest of the cast. So yay for Chris (Kurt)

getting some attention in the studio. Still waiting

for Mercedes and Santana. So afraid what this

show is going to do to these 2 this season. I

want to have them both on my screen but at the

same time I want them far away from the pen of

these writers who do nothing more than

assassinate its characters. So hopefully the song

distribution will even out after the first episode

because it really is looking like the Rachel and

Blaine Variety Show right now. No me

gusta!

Mr. Schue isn't even singing in the first episode, so I doubt that he's going to be singing much more than the other non Rachel and Blaine characters. I expect VA to get the least focus of the three choirs. IMO, Kurt and Sam will get more story line focus than him since they're at McKinley.

Wasn't there a photo released of Mark Salling already recording, along with one of Kevin. I suspect it's just going to be a rehash of Season 4 where the alumni show up randomly in the choir room and show the 3.0 Noobs " how it's done".

Over and over and over...

Wasn't there a photo released of Mark Salling already recording, along with one of Kevin. I suspect it's just going to be a rehash of Season 4 where the alumni show up randomly in the

choir room and show the 3.0 Noobs " how it's

done".

Over and over and over...

Naya also mentioned having a batch of songs.

These people showing up to sing don't really count as spoilers IMO (except maybe Mark since he hasn't been mentioned as back for episodes outside of everyone is welcome, has he?), since it's pretty much inevitable that they'd have studio recording time. Here's hoping (for me at least), CC is doing more than just laying down tracks for group numbers. Don't know how they determine the order of who goes in the booth first, other than availability.

Well it has begun Lea just tweeted out a picture of her on set. With the first episode consisting of very few of my faves there is NO excitement coming from me about this. I guess this is the beginning of a lot more "Lea/Rachel" on set while the others stand in the background to await their few minutes of screen time. I have this very unsettling feeling that Glee is going to be TOO heavy on Rachel and VERY light on everyone else with the exception of Blaine of course. This is shaping up for me to be more and more of watching the songs I want to hear on YouTube and the scenes I want to see on Tumblr. Oh well 13 episodes of dread possibly and then fade to black and roll credits IMO.

https://twitter.com/msleamichele/status/507220047001960448/photo/1

Edited by Ann Mack

I don't think that there's much doubt that at least the first ep is going to be very Rachel/Blaine heavy, just going by the spoilers. My biggest concern isn't so much on who gets the most screen time (as we've had ample warning that the focus will be on the gruesome twosome), but whether or not the other characters will be allowed to have storylines that involve more than just helping the two of them with their respective choirs. Or in Kurt's case, helping Rachel when he's not trying to win back the Grease Stain. I'd really like to get a clear sense of where everyone is going now in their adult lives and have the final episode showing them away from McKinley and doing what they wanted.

The one saving grace will be the amazing Sue meta when she rips into all these graduates who can't escape the black hole of McKinley, no matter how they might try.

Perhaps  there will be some undercurrent of threatening arts funding statewide that Sue is a part of and Will/Sue will be battling it out over that.  He will also serve as a mentor to Rachel.  It won't be much of plot but it will be more than nothing.  

Regarding the picture Lea tweeted, I like Rachel's wardrobe in it.  Kind of reminds me of a younger version of something Emma would have worn (skirt is shorter than Emma's and shirt is a bit tighter).  Since I always really liked Emma's wardrobe I am good with that given that Rachel is going to be coaching at McKinley.  

As an aside Rachel needed to move on from her overly cutesy high school wardrobe but I really disliked most of her make-over wardrobe from early season 4.  It got better towards the end of the season and in season 5, thank goodness.

Edited by camussie

The one saving grace will be the amazing Sue meta when she rips into all these graduates who can't escape the black hole of McKinley, no matter how they might try.

Yes that might be interesting for a while. I just hope they don't turn her into a caricature of herself. There is already so much wrong with the spoilers that have been released true or not they have set a perception for the final season (none of it being good IMO). Plus while she's ripping them a new one I hope she provides some encouragement for those who might not find themselves stuck in Lima (please hello to this for Santana, Mercedes, Artie, Brittany, Kurt and Puck) or if they do somehow get stuck in the Black Hole of Lima they are pursuing things that doesn't include worshiping at the altar of Rachel Berry and Blaine Anderson. I'm trying to look for any loop hole of goodness for this final season even if its only in my mind!

Edited by Ann Mack

Yes that might be interesting for a while. I just hope they don't turn her into a caricature of herself. There is already so much wrong with the spoilers that have been released true or not they have set a perception for the final season (none of it being good IMO). Plus while she's ripping them a new one I hope she provides some encouragement for those who might not find themselves stuck in Lima (please hello to this for Santana, Mercedes, Artie, Brittany and Puck) or if they do somehow get stuck in the Black Hole of Lima they are pursuing things that doesn't include worshiping at the altar of Rachel Berry and Blaine Anderson. I'm trying to look for any loop hole of goodness for this final season even if its only in my mind!

I actually hope the do end up with some people staying in Lima (Sam, Brittany and Blaine would be my preference) otherwise there is no big deal in getting out. Having said that, that has been a problem since season 3, every single graduate has had an opportunity to get out of Lima and it didn't seem that difficult for anyone. 

Sam always seemed to fit in Lima in that he didn't grow up there so he doesn't have the whole Lima loser worldview like the people who grew up there did.  Even with that, they need to give him a life outside of McKinley and working towards some goal.  That means it works for him to be Beiste's assistant but he should be taking classes as well so he can get a degree that will allow him to be a head coach some day.

As for Blaine I don't think he belongs in Lima long term but I also don't think his profession should be as a performer either.  He should have been, and maybe still will be, the character who comes to realize, that while he loves performing, what will take away that love is if he does it professionally.  He has never seemed to have the passion for it that Rachel or even Kurt seems to have.

Edited by camussie

I actually hope the do end up with some people staying in Lima (Sam, Brittany and Blaine would be my preference) otherwise there is no big deal in getting out. Having said that, that has been a problem since season 3, every single graduate has had an opportunity to get out of Lima and it didn't seem that difficult for anyone. 

I could see Blaine and Sam but Brittany not really she has nothing tying her to Lima at this point relationship wise (other than Lord Tubbington who can fit in a carry case and go wherever she goes). They have Sam working at the school and Blaine teaching at another so that could be doable, but I think the only way Brittany stays unless they completely screw over the Brittana fans is if Santana stays. Again, ALL the original characters had bigger dreams than what Lima, Ohio could offer them. Its going to be a very hard stretch trying to convince viewers that any of them truly WANT to be there. Again maybe Sam since he obtained his dream already and really wasn't into big cities so Lima might suit him perfectly. But I think as I'm sure many others do too (but I might be wrong) that bringing them all back is some contrived evil plot by Ryan Murphy to get attention back on his Holy Grail "The Choir Room".

Edited by Ann Mack

There is no shame in staying in Lima if you're staying for the right reasons. For characters like Kurt and Rachel, who had career aspirations that could not be fulfilled in Lima (and for Kurt in particular who found Lima such a misery to endure), staying would be a mark of failure. But for other characters who don't have such location-specific career/life goals that demand that they live elsewhere, if they can build a life in Lima and be happy there, it doesn't make them losers. A Lima Loser (to me) is someone who had aspirations to leave town and do something outside and didn't accomplish that (or was afraid to try).

Rachel, at this point, would be a Lima Loser since she failed (or more precisely, threw away her successes) and returned because she had no other options. But those who are either just visiting (Kurt, Mercedes, Santana, etc) and those who made the choice to return to Lima to build careers and lives there (Sam, Burt, Sue) aren't Lima Losers. Again, there is absolutely no shame in staying in Lima unless it was the last thing that they wanted to do and aren't there by choice.

Just wanted to clear that up.