Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

I didn't say it was.

My comment was specifically because while you attributed the Finchel obstacle to both, you attributed the Klaine obstacle and why they were imploded to only Kurt's perception and feelings as if he wasn't given any reason for them, when you said "Kurt and Blaine got the "Kurt hates living with Blaine and thinks he's creepy and clingy and drives him crazy" obstacle."

Edited by fakeempress
you attributed the Klaine obstacle to only Kurt's perception and feelings as if he didn't have any reason for them,

No, I really didn't. It was just a throwaway statement to make a point. I've commented on Kurt and Blaine's issues many times including all the ways the writers destroyed Blaine by often making most of their issues a failure on his part - his cheating, his neediness, his clinginess and now his banging Karofsky. So I certainly was not insinuating Kurt had no reason for how he felt about Blaine. Again it was just a throwaway line that wasn't meant to have more read into it.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Interesting some feel the Noobs had a better sense of friendship as a group.

I think some if it goes back that with the exception of Kitty when she started, the rest of the Noobs had virtually no edginess, tension, conflict , or ambivalent characteristics. Sure, You had Jake for 5 seconds riding a scooter as a bad boy and that was it.

Marley, Jake, Ryder, and Unique were all " nice" people who for the most part didn't argue about anything much less fight or even compete for solos/spotlights. Couple that with adding the least ambitious or edgy characters from the original, namely Blaine, Brittany and Sam as now leading characters and you had this whole wall of niceness and inert lack of tension or ambition.

That's why I chuckled at the claims about what a healthy and genuine friendship Blam was, there was no tension or conflict between them because they didn't have *any* competive or sexual rivalry; as a friendship they just were 2 bland characters who were " bros" and did superhero fan bonding. Even the gay crush was so "harmless" as it was dismissed as inconsequential to avoid any problems that might arise from it and Ryan wanted this fantasy of an idealized gay/straight bromance with homoeroticism in a weirdly neutered state.

Artie , always a supporting character, was practically sidelined and even made more marginal, and poor Tina was attempted to be given some "color " by virtue of making her shrill, petty and grasping as well as pathetically inadequate compared to every one else.

So the rebooted New Directions all being shades of beige blended together better, I grant you, though I'd argue that didn't necessarily make them seem more genuine as friends simply because they didn't seem distinct enough personalities to have any attraction to each other. There didn't even seem to have any compelling reason why they were in Glee together. So if they weren't underdogs ( fair enough to discard that original premise) what the fuck were they? Random nice people thrown together who got along?

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

" Take on Me"

http://www.etonline..../?viewFull=true

I actually feel a bit embarrassed for them.

Even the vocalists with solo lines were not even featured. All of the Glee characters on the video were like inconsequential day glow wall paper, and in this case the gimmick of the Original AHA music video ( edgy at its time) backfired, stepping into the cartoon drawing; just diluted their actual prescense on the screen.

It's hard to believe that this trifle is their Last big group number (sans Quinn/Mike) ; seriously that was their idea of giving the old gang one last song?

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't come across as a bunch of almost 30 year olds cavorting around a high school cafeteria.  They could play 18 fairly convincingly when they were in their early 20's, but not so much on the convincingly these days.

There would be kind of an interesting story to tell if their last year of high school had been with them as kings and queens because Glee Club was suddenly at the top of the social hierarchy.  You could kind of understand them coming back to a place of former glory to lick their wounds.  But who goes back to a place where you were treated like crap when everything implodes?

So the rebooted New Directiobs all being shades of beige blended together better, I grant you, though I'd argue that didn't necessarily make them seem more genuine as friends simply because they didn't seem distinct enough to have any attraction to each other.

I think the friendships were as genuine as most high school friendships are. These are teenagers, many of them become friends based on simple and superficial things like similar interests, being on a team together, growing up next door, etc. That's why I never really agreed with all the comments about Blaine and Sam's friendship, that it wasn't believable or deep enough or whatever because I honestly could totally buy two high school boys being friends over something as superficial as a love of comic books or whatever it was. 

I do get your point though and I'd say far from the friendships not being genuine, their personalities made for a lack of interesting conflict which then made them seem incredibly boring and bland. When there was conflict it mostly felt forced versus the more organic tensions that existed between the original Glee members. Like I bought Mercedes' growing resentment about her treatment in Glee Club, Puck and Finn's issues stemming from Quinn that later transferred to Rachel, Rachel and Kurt's issues, Santana being a mean bitch to just about everyone not named Brittany, etc.

But interestingly in keeping with KatWay's point, while I bought their conflicts, some of the friendships rang hollow to me. Like I never bought Mercedes and Quinn's insta-friendship, Quinn and Rachel's whatever which honestly just seemed more like Rachel for whatever reason trying to get approval from Quinn, Santana's friendship with well anyone but Brittany and I guess Quinn, Puck and Artie's brief whatever and Rachel and Kurt's sudden BFF-ness in Season 3. For as much some criticized Blaine and Sam's friendship, I found Kurt and Rachel's just as forced and felt it worked more because of Lea and Chris' closeness. 

And just to clarify, since I noted above that high school friendships can be fairly superficial, I think part of the reason I found some of those friendships with the original group hollow is because as I noted, their conflicts seemed so believable and genuine. So it was hard to buy some of these people so easily being able to brush off some of the really horrible things they'd said and done to each other.

I'm not sure if it's just me but the link doesn't work. It just takes me to the board's homepage.

Edited by truthaboutluv

I was about to say the same about Kurt and Rachel's BBF'ness, but I was thinking about S2 when they suddenly made them friends after Kurt transferred to Dalton. It was out of nowhere, especially Rachel saying Kurt was her biggest competition and ND not being same without him (or something to that effect).

Edited by fakeempress

SUE STIRS THE POT ON AN ALL-NEW "GLEE" FRIDAY, JANUARY 23, ON FOX

Rachel tries to make a deal with Will, so that his glee club purposefully underperforms at their invitational. Meanwhile, Sue is busy meddling and hypnotizes Sam into making a move on Rachel to throw her off in the all-new "The Hurt Locker, Part One" episode of GLEE airing Friday, Jan. 23 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-604) (TV-14 D, L)

I'm not sure if it's just me but the link doesn't work. It just takes me to the board's homepage.

The link doesn't work for me either, but you can just go directly to the website instead!

Why is everyone wearing such bright colours? They look like they wandered onto the set of High School Musical 27.

I was about to say the same about Kurt and Rachel's BBF'ness, but I was thinking about S2 when they suddenly made them friends after Kurt transferred to Dalton. It was out of nowhere, especially Rachel saying Kurt was her biggest competition and ND not being same without him (or something to that effect).

Yeah, I also thought that whole friendship was pushied to 11 out of nowhere. I found their interactions in S1 far more authentic for the characters. And I'm still pissed that Kurt/Mercedes just got dropped under the table after they decided to make Hummelberry a thing. In the end I feel like that friendship hasn't done much for either of the characters - Kurt was relegated to being Rachel's best gay cheering her on and Rachel got to be lectured on how to be a better person by her ever morally superior BFF. I would have preferred them to stay uneasy allies/rivals. That said the actors do have good chemistry together, so there's that.

• Love 4

" Take on Me"http://www.etonline..../?viewFull=true

Even the vocalists with solo lines were not even featured. All of the Glee characters on the video were like inconsequential day glow wall paper, and in this case the gimmick of the Original AHA music video ( edgy at its time) backfired, stepping into the cartoon drawing; just diluted their actual prescense on the screen.

It's hard to believe that this trifle is their Last big group number (sans Quinn/Mike) ; seriously that was their idea of giving the old gang one last song?

Man, that was brutal. I would feel embarrassed for them but they're probably getting paid more for that episode than I did this year.

The rip off of Take On Me looks dated and those costume as awful, although I liked Tina's dress, probably because it's the only one which isn't block colour. No-one ever dress Mark Salling in pink again please, he looked ridiculous, and like he was someone's Dad trying to be 'hip'.

Quinn's there btw.

Did anyone else see the Samchel foreshadowing?

Saw it and eh, I don't know, it wasn't the worse thing I've seen from this show. I mean they had that twerking mess which was made worse by having Will a part of it. Honestly, far from embarrassed, I just felt like everyone was going through the motions. It just seemed to lack any real energy and passion.

I was however reminded how much I just love Kevin's voice and Amber did her thing as usual but it just felt very forced which really isn't that surprising I guess. Of course Take on Me is quite possibly my favorite 80's song (and that's saying something considering all the amazing music from that decade) so they'd have had to really stink it up for me to not get at least a little enjoyment from it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I will say that, while I enjoyed the song (it too is probably my favorite 80's song), the dancing was generally very bad with the exception of a few people.  You can tell who they consider their best dancers though.  Brittany, Tina, and Kurt are the ones on the table and I would agree without Harry or Jacob there Heather, Jenna, and Chris are the best dancers in the cast.  They all looked great in their dancing while the rest of the cast looked like they were flailing even Mark and Amber who both are usually pretty decent.

Edited by camussie

Probably and while I would have never been on board due to the Finn 2.0 thing that was started way back in season 2, I think if they were always planning on going there spending so much time on Sam/Mercedes last season was a huge mistake especially since I thought they actually did a good job on some of their relationship.  For example, that was the one virginity plot I thought Glee did well and I thought their parting was well done as well.

There is also the issue of how will this play into Rachel's future?  Because, unless she is ready to stay in Lima or unless Sam moves to NY, a place he clearly said he doesn't like, they don't have one.  Really the only way this works is if it is just a fling but all indications are that it is more than that.  

do get your point though and I'd say far from the friendships not being genuine, their personalities made for a lack of interesting conflict which then made them seem incredibly boring and bland. When there was conflict it mostly felt forced versus the more organic tensions that existed between the original Glee members. Like I bought Mercedes' growing resentment about her treatment in Glee Club, Puck and Finn's issues stemming from Quinn that later transferred to Rachel, Rachel and Kurt's issues, Santana being a mean bitch to just about everyone not named Brittany, etc.

Truthaboutluv, I admit I phrased it clumsily.

It isn't that the friendships in the original Glee were all that "organic" or deeply beleivable but some of the conflicts/tensions and friendships were entertaining. Blam! might be as beleivable or plausible as any of them (though I still somewhat blink at a teenage boy saying he was flattered that his gay friend had crush on him ) but it was so toothless (they had ZERO conflict./tension) that it was bland, boring and not interesting at all.

God knows that the Original ND had thier weaknesses as friends, I agree that Hummelberry might have worked better as frenemies, though I think Rachel/Kurt/Santana's wary friendship in parts of Season 5 and 6 was interesting. Kurt and Santana wordlessly bonding on Santana's pantomiming Brody being a drug dealer, etc. IN particular when they had the blowup over Funny Girl and both girls realize while watching One Three Hill successfully perform, that to their chagrin per their conversation, they are each others only friends in NY was an interesting twist on things. It's like they had the ephiphany they weren't the most lovable creatures in the universe and the world would spin without them, LOL. Those were the the type of fleeting "flashes" that were missing from the Blam/Noob dynamcis of McKinley.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

as was Santana's sudden friendship with Kurt and Rachel.

Hey, Santana's sudden friendship with Rachel started in season 3, when Rachel randomly accosted Santana at her locker and asserted that they were friends now, to which the only logical response should have been "when did that happen?"

That's another demonstration of the writing skills of the staff.  On most programs, two longtime rivals setting aside differences and learning to appreciate each other would be an actual story.

Saw it and eh, I don't know, it wasn't the worse thing I've seen from this show.

I feel like they are going to be the only bright spot for me this season.   I'm not expecting too much angst, just some fluffy courting and "moments".   I'm going to end up liking them and I definitely don't think they'll be a fling now.   The hand motions through the mirror/window.   I think the writers will have these two end up together, whether they go to NY or not.

Edited by Advance35
as was Santana's sudden friendship with Kurt and Rachel.

But again it was interesting when they bantered.  PUC was hilarious, with trying to work as XMAS assistants and failing spectacularly.

I realize there were BTS reasons for it, but one  of the many fails of NY Glee was removing Santana from the mix, she brought a verve and snark that was badly  missing.  Even as Rachels PR person in "OLd Dogs New Tricks" they were hilarious together.

If Sam ends up going to NY with Rachel I honestly will see that as one big screw you from RM to Finn and Finn/Rachel fans (much like the Blaine/Dave thing is a screw you to Blaine/Kurt fans).  Mainly because many have been vocal in how much they disliked RM's "I'm home" ending for both of them and instead wanted an ending where Finn joined Rachel in NY.  Sure RM thought the "I'm Home" ending would have been great TV but the reaction overall to that ending has been mostly negative and the most vocal about how awful they thought it was has been Finn and Finn/Rachel fans (except for the very few die hards who didn't care how they ended up together as long as they did).

On the other hand if RM has Rachel decide to stay in Lima that will be a huge screw you to Rachel fans and really the audience as a whole given how her story was set up in the very first episode of the show.  

I guess it comes down to who RM wants to troll more.  I honestly have never seen a showrunner with so much open disdain for his audience.  I also think, while some of it may have been earned by how OTT some viewers are, the reactions would not have been so OTT if the show had been written with a semblance of character continuity over the years.  I have long said most people in the audience will go on any ride you take them on as long as characterizations are consistent and there is some internal logic in stories.  Glee has been anything but that so the audience has become more and more reactionary over the years in anticipation how how RM and team will screw over their favorite character because he has some new wild hare up his ass regarding a PSA, a song he wants to feature, etc.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

The hand motions through the mirror/window.

I can't imagine anything that could better suggest a deep-felt, soul changing love than this.  Kinda makes you wonder about Patty and Cathy from the Patty Duke Show.  You don't think their little mirror thing in the opening credits was actually suggesting...no, no, I'm sure not...

• Love 1

The hand motions through the mirror/window.

I can't imagine anything that could better suggest a deep-felt, soul changing love than this.

It just screams eternal soulmate, doesn't it?  Though I still think  Sam putting a trail of cereal to entice Brittana was a more epic romantic moment.

For example, that was the one virginity plot I thought Glee did well and I thought their parting was well done as well.

This is terrible, but I had a big problem with the plots regarding Mercedes and Marley staying virgins.

If you want to stay a virgin why would you date Sam or Jake? For the conversation? Maybe to watch Jake dance? I mean at least get them shirtless so you can look at those abs! I mean don't get my wrong I like Jake but I didn't see much else going on.

I can't imagine anything that could better suggest a deep-felt, soul changing love than this.  Kinda makes you wonder about Patty and Cathy from the Patty Duke Show.  You don't think their little mirror thing in the opening credits was actually suggesting...no, no, I'm sure not...

LMAO.  To me? No.  But RIB, I DO think it's their version of forshadowing and being subtle.

I guess it comes down to who RM wants to troll more.  I honestly have never seen a showrunner with so much open disdain for his audience.

This I agree with.  I do think RM has grown to resent the Glee Fanbase for a few reasons.   And I don't think he is above sticking it to fans in little ways if he can get away with it.   But I genuinely think he's pairing Sam/Rachel because he doesn't want a girl who started the series so lonely, ending up the same way.   I don't think he cares one way or the other about how Finn or Finn/Rachel fans will react.

So typical of him to STOP fan pandering when it's too late to save his show.

I will say that, while I enjoyed the song (it too is probably my favorite 80's song), the dancing was generally very bad with the exception of a few people. You can tell who they consider their

best dancers though. Brittany, Tina, and Kurt

are the ones on the table and I would agree

without Harry or Jacob there Heather, Jenna,

and Chris are the best dancers in the cast.

They all looked great in their dancing while the

rest of the cast looked like they were flailing

even Mark and Amber who both are usually

pretty decent.

Wouldn't Matt be on the best dancers list too?

I'd actually consider Heather to be number one, though.

Edited by Sara2009

Huh, I've never thought of Chris as a good dancer. He certainly does a good shoulder shimmy, I'll give him that.

I think CC can dance well enough when he's choreographed and has a routine/specific dance moves to do (like on that table). When he's free-styling, we get the shoulder shimmy. So, sick of that move, Kurt (er, Chris). At least I thought his dancing was decent in the first couple of seasons.

I feel like they are going to be the only bright spot for me this season.   I'm not expecting too much angst, just some fluffy courting and "moments".   I'm going to end up liking them and I definitely don't think they'll be a fling now.   The hand motions through the mirror/window.   I think the writers will have these two end up together, whether they go to NY or not.

I was actually referring to the video itself, not Rachel and Sam.

I thought the dancer comment was about those in the video...

Edited by truthaboutluv

He's a good mover, but I don't consider him a " dancer" the way Harry, Heather, Jacob, and Matt are. Some of those people aren't the best at freestyle either, but they have a natural ability that I'm not sure can be taught.

• Love 1

I didn't include Matt because I thought it was obvious I was talking about the "kids" but yes he is one of the best dancers as well.  Right after Harry, Heather, and Jacob,

I'd actually consider Heather to be number one, though.

I think the poster was talking about the students.

I like Heather's dancing but for me she's behind Harry and Jacob because I don't think she gets the same emotion in her performance that they do.

I think CC can dance well enough when he's choreographed and has a routine/specific dance moves to do (like on that table). When he's free-styling, we get the shoulder shimmy. So, sick of that move, Kurt (er, Chris). At least I thought his dancing was decent in the first couple of seasons.

Chris and Darren can follow choreography well.

Funny they put Tina front and centre for the dancing here when they spent season 5 repeatedly saying how bad a dancer she was.

That was always bunk.  Jenna is a pretty good dancer.  After Heather, I thought she was the best female dancer in the originals.  She was third best female dancer in season 4 after Heather and Becca.  

As for "Take on Me" I want to know what the heck happened to Mark Salling,  He was never a huge dancing talent but he could move pretty well.  In "Take on Me" he looks uber stiff and awkward.  Like Chord Overstreet or Cory from season 1 levels of stiff and awkward.  

That was always bunk.  Jenna is a pretty good dancer.  After Heather, I thought she was the best female dancer in the originals.  She was third best female dancer in season 4 after Heather and Becca.  

As for "Take on Me" I want to know what the heck happened to Mark Salling,  He was never a huge dancing talent but he could move pretty well.  In "Take on Me" he looks uber stiff and awkward.  Like Chord Overstreet or Cory from season 1 levels of stiff and awkward.

I think he's probably realising he's a man in his 30s, playing a man in his 20s on a high school set, dress in bright pink!

I really wish we'd got a routine with Jenna and Becca together.

The video shows that Dianna still can't dance for squat.  She seems to doing some of the moves she did in this BTS clip from and interview she and Cory did. Maybe those are her go to "freestyle" moves.  I actually always found that endearing about Quinn, even if it isn't realistic for a head cheerleader.  

Edited by camussie

I didn't include Matt because I thought it was obvious I was talking about the "kids" but yes he is one of the best dancers as well. Right after Harry, Heather, and Jacob,

Personally,I wouldn't put him after them. Some of the stuff he's done(especially outside the show) blows me away.

I guess these things are subjective, though.

Edited by Sara2009
  • Love 1

I wouldn't put him after them. Some of the stuff he's done outside the show blows me away.

I guess these things are subjective, though.

Matt's a very good dancer, but Jacob and Heather are definitely better technical dancers and have more training.  Harry vs. Matt could be bit more subjective, but I think Harry is a more creative freestyler and moves much more fluidly than Matt.  One can still certainly prefer to watch Matt dance though.

Matt's a very good dancer, but Jacob and Heather are definitely better technical dancers and have more training. Harry vs. Matt could be bit more subjective, but I think Harry is a more

creative freestyler and moves much more fluidly

than Matt. One can still certainly prefer to watch

Matt dance though.

I disagree. Matt has quite a bit of training too. He's a dancer before he's a singer or actor. That's how he got his start. FWIW, I'm including everything he's done outside of " Glee" in my assessment. The show really hasn't allowed him to showcase much. Edited by Sara2009

Matt's a very good dancer, but Jacob and Heather are definitely better technical dancers and have more training.  Harry vs. Matt could be bit more subjective, but I think Harry is a more creative freestyler and moves much more fluidly than Matt.  One can still certainly prefer to watch Matt dance though.

Probably doesn't help Matt that he has ten years on Heather and fifteen on Jacob.

On Glee I think it's just a case of personal preference. I've never seen Heather outside Glee, but with the others we never got to see the half of what Matt, Jacob, Becca or Harry could do.

Probably doesn't help Matt that he has ten years on Heather and fifteen on Jacob.

On Glee I think it's just a case of personal

preference. I've never seen Heather outside

Glee, but with the others we never got to see

the half of what Matt, Jacob, Becca or Harry

could do.

I think my favorite Matt dance performances were at the Tony Awards( even though he was winded) and Kennedy Center Honors. Plus in " Hairspray " 12 years ago.

You make a good point about his age, though.

I disagree. Matt has quite a bit of training too.

Yes, Matt has training, but Jacob and Heather were competitive dancers since they were very young.  They spent their entire childhoods through high school training in studios.  Matt didn't.  He performed and had some training, but his life was not dedicated to dance.  Matt is a very good dancer, but Heather and Jacob do have much more technical training than Matt and are better technical dancers.  

Again, it's not to say one doesn't prefer to watch Matt dance or perform.  

Yes, Matt has training, but Jacob and Heather were competitive dancers since they were very young.  They spent their entire childhoods through high school training in studios.  Matt didn't.  He performed and had some training, but his life was not dedicated to dance.  Matt is a very good dancer, but Heather and Jacob do have much more technical training than Matt and are better technical dancers.  

Again, it's not to say one doesn't prefer to watch Matt dance or perform.

Apparently Diana also trained from the age of 3. I leave that piece of information with no comment!

• Love 1
I still say when it comes to those three " better" is subjective.

I don't think technique is subjective.  Performance preference is.

Apparently Diana also trained from the age of 3. I leave that piece of information with no comment!

LOL.  Not all training is the same!  But just to clarify, Diana started dancing at the age of 3, but I don't think she was training at the same level as Jacob or Heather.  I'd venture to guess she "trained" like how my friends did.  Classes a few times a week and some performances recitals here and there.  Maybe participating on the school dance team.  

Jacob was going to Julliard for dance before he decided to try his hand at acting.  Heather was gunning for a career as a dancer.  It's not really a fair comparison.

I think technique is also somewhat subjective, hence this debate about it right now. Plus if we're only talking about their " Glee" performances( and I don't know what all you've seen), it's a very incomplete picture.

IIRC, Jacob got accepted to Juillard but didn't go.

Edited by Sara2009