Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

The snark was actually in regards to Lea Michele as in great for her, she gets to kill her performances every week onscreen except no one will really care and what she'll be given to kill will be complete and utter shit.

What else can she do?  It's a paying gig and it beats working for a living...

I don't expect her to do anything but be a professional which by all accounts she has been. I was however responding to this comment 

Rachel will kill her end of it, I'm sure because LEa is a very good actress , Darren on the other hand...

And my feeling is it really hardly matters anymore - good actor, bad actor, indifferent, lazy , etc. it doesn't matter because everything they will all be given will be utter crap. And that's my point. Would it really matter if she comes on that set and puts her heart out in what she's given when all that will likely be written when it's all said is done is what an utter shitfest and disappointment Glee is?

It's interesting when I read comments outside of the fandom (what measly is left of it) at general entertainment sites and it's pretty much, "is this show not canceled yet, god that show sucks, people still watch this?" No one really cares anymore about who is the best and worst. It's not like the show will ever get nominated for anything anymore (I don't count the PCA as a legitimate award show seeing as Adam Sandler wins acting awards there). 

• Love 1

Would it really matter if she comes on that set and puts her heart out in what she's given when all that will likely be written when it's all said is done is what an utter shitfest and disappointment Glee is?

I think it makes the actor look very professional and shows that he/she can toe the party line and be an adult about it. She won't phone it in, regardless of how awful the writing is. For future employers, it's a really good thing to see. Lea has shown this for 5+ seasons of this shit show, and good for her. I expect to see it in season 6.

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 2

Dianna tweeted the other day about being busy at work and how what she was doing "might make a few of you happy."  I figured she must be talking about Glee, and she must know that most of us are like "UGH fuck Glee."  Heh.

So, even with Quinn, I won't be watching.  If Tumblr lets me know that Quinn gets a scene or a few lines that aren't fucking stupid and are relatively worthwhile, I might watch a Quinn edit.  (That hasn't happened since season three, so I ain't holding my breath.)

And if Quinn gets a solo or duet or part of a song that has nothing to do with fucking Puck I'll probably watch that.  (I've watched "Come See About Me" and "Love Song" lots of times.)

Otherwise, I'll just be waiting for the pretty moving pictures, and for the mocking, snarky commentary on Tumblr about whatever Ryan Murphy and his gang of thugs do to Quinn this time.

I think it makes the actor look very professional and shows that he/she can toe the party line and be an adult about it. She won't phone it in, regardless of how awful the writing is. For future employers, it's a really good thing to see. Lea has shown this for 5+ seasons of this shit show, and good for her. I expect to see it in season 6.

And even if it is crap ( which it most likely will be) at least she will be showing that she has talent to perform the crap that is in the script. While we will want to throw shit at the writers, might be hating on Rachel,  we will be applauding Lea for her great acting. 

• Love 2

I think that can be said for each and everyone of them not just Lea. I truly believe the others have had to deal with a whole lot more shit than Lea just off hand Jenna comes to mind they completely destroyed her but she still smiles and tows the line as a team player. So Lea isn't the only brave little toaster getting shitted on and still performing like a professional they all are.

• Love 1

I certainly think Lea will get offers and more opportunities directly related to being the lead character of Glee, no matter how much the show has fallen. She can play comedy, drama and sing fantastic and Glee has been a showcase of her talents.

At this point, no one is really going to benefit from being on Glee, regardless of whether they are leads or in supporting roles. Given that the audience has evaporated, the show is being given what amounts to a pity episode order (and only because FOX was forced into a sixth season) and the critical note for the show is as rare as hen's teeth, if the cast hasn't gotten notice and options by now, it's not going to happen. I think that it's safe to say that, at least initially, Lea and Chris will have a number of opportunities open to them post-Glee. Chris has a movie that he's starting production on right after Glee ends production as well as an animated film that's opening next January (probably around the time Glee will start airing). Lea will likely do another album and I'm sure she'll have some film or tv offers. Jane will have no problems, and Matt has things planned. Kevin has a film and has had tv opportunities and Amber and Jenna will likely have theater opportunities.

So staying on Glee now and at least conducting themselves professionally (and despite any bad feelings behind the scenes, no one is saying anything publicly) and coming out with reputations of being good workers and not making waves, there's nothing to be gained any longer. Right now, I think that the cast just wants to get through these last months, celebrate the good times and then move on to the next stage of their careers.

I think that can be said for each and everyone of them not just Lea. I truly believe the others have had to deal with a whole lot more shit than Lea just off hand Jenna comes to mind they completely destroyed her but she still smiles and tows the line as a team player. So Lea isn't the only brave little toaster getting shitted on and still performing like a professional they all are.

I totally agree with this. Everyone of those actors have done their best with the material they are giving. Some like Darren seems to still love and enjoy working on Glee, which makes me like him. I don't like Blaine but I totally like Darren and even thought I don't think he is a great actor, he does do his best with the material he is giving. 

The terrible takeaway is that even the worst of them deserve better than this.

I don't know exactly who "the worst of them" are I'm sure we all have our opinions of who may not be as strong as some of the others. But I want try to categorize them on some scale because its unfair to any of the actors and based on personal preference. But as long as they are doing what they enjoy and is still maintaining a life style they are use to then I think they "all" will be okay. Just some off the cuff breakdown of what some of them have done already or will be doing: Chris Colfer is a NY Time bestselling author I think for at least 4x over, he's written a script and had it made into a movie, he will be doing a bio in January and he will be doing a voice-over in a children's film. Kevin McHale just premiered his movie "Boys Choir" tonight at the TIFF and is hosting a show in England and was just in a Betty Who video. Dianna Agron has been in a Killers and Sam Smith video and at least 3 Indie Films, Chord Overstreet just had a role in an Indie movie "Fourth Man Out" and is looking to release his CD around January 2015. Lea Michele has wrote a book, released a CD, has a L'Oreal endorsement, did a voice-over for a movie and will be in an episode of "Sons Of Anarchy". Amber Riley won Dancing With The Stars, is working on her debut album, played Dionne in "Hair" at the Hollywood Bowl and I believe is entertaining a role on Broadway. Jenna Ushkowitz played Jennie in "Hair" at the Hollywood Bowl, did some modeling for June Moss, she also wrote a book "Choosing Glee". Naya Rivera Dorsey did a VOD I don't recall the name. appeared in a video, and released a single. Heather Morris has starred in 2 short Indie movies and is getting married which she has stated before, her priority is her family, so she may not want to act any more and return to dancing once the show is over. Darren Criss has been in a movie (can't recall the name) and did some videos. Mark Salling has made a movie for TV "Rocky Road" and has some sort of "Camp something" website. The one in the acting area who is currently having the most success is Harry Shum, Jr he is in a Martin Scorcese movie "Revenge Of The Green Dragons" and will star in another big box office movie "Hidden Dragon Crouching Tiger 2" and I believe he was in "Mom's Night Out" he has the website he launched "4th And 10", and will be a host on some sort of reality show involving dancing and other forms of entertainment I think it might be called "Faking It". So yeah I think they all are going to be okay when Glee ends even the ones that may be considered "the worst of them". Not sure about Jane, Matt or Dot-Marie or the guy who plays Principle Figgins but they seem to have been in the game for awhile so I'm sure they will continue to appear in different venues of the entertainment field.

Edited by Ann Mack

So staying on Glee now and at least conducting themselves professionally (and despite any bad feelings behind the scenes, no one is saying anything publicly) and coming out with reputations of being good workers and not making waves, there's nothing to be gained any longer. Right now, I think that the cast just wants to get through these last months, celebrate the good times and then move on to the next stage of their careers.

Anybody who's a regular is definitely under contract, the recurrers likely are as well. If they tried to leave there would be huge financial penalties and it'd be a serious black mark professionally. Plus Ryan's other show is still doing well and he has influence. As an actor you never ever want to burn a bridge you don't have to because of the uncertain nature of show business. If someone was off-contract and had another commitment they'd make sure to send their regrets etc. but that would be acceptable. Anyone off-contract who doesn't have another project right now, or has one where they can cameo for a bit without it being a huge deal, is going to come back for good will, and for the paycheck, and they'd be foolish not to. See above re uncertainty.

ETA and looking at everyone's current projects, including Lea's, it looks like a lot of "C List" at best, stuff. Which is fine as long as they are feeling fulfilled and managing their finances well, but the extra money certainly doesn't hurt. Harry "starring" in Crouching Tiger 2 is a surprise, given he's a relative unknown, but it's been a while since the original, so no clue what the budget and expectations are. 

Edited by SilverShadow

Harry has been in several "Step Up" movies and apparently the franchise is still going strong. He is also one of the "lead heroes" in the "HDCT" movie. I think both of the movies he is in will have big budgets I don't really see Martin Scorcese directing something that isn't. As for the latter movie there appears to be much anticipation for it as the first one got rave reviews, however long ago it was and I'm not really sure. Plus I think he now has his own dance studio. So Harry may have been an unknown to some of the Glee followers but his net worth is estimated in the $14 million range. So he definitely will not be too worried about life after Glee or at least I don't think he will.

Edited by Ann Mack

FTR,Matt shot two movies( one of which he starred in and the other is a small role in a Weinstein film) this summer and continues to do solo concerts. There are also rumors about him being in " Finding Neverland" when it transfers to Broadway. That last one is JUST rumoured, but I wanted to mention it anyway.

Edited by Sara2009

What does lea have to complain about? She has about a million solos so far including " let it be", an amazing hit song.

No one said Lea should complain and wow is that an exaggeration and Let is be wasn't a solo.

No one said Lea should complain and wow is that an exaggeration and Let is be wasn't a solo.

i think they mean "Let It Go' from Frozen, Lea is rumored to be singing that song in 6x01. But I could be wrong about what song is actually being referenced in that post.

i think they mean "Let It Go' from Frozen, Lea is rumored to be singing that song in 6x01. But I could be wrong about what song is actually being referenced in that post.

Probably right.   

I was responding to an argument that lea should get a lot of praise for being professional while being "treated badly"on the show when IMO she is dosent, with plenty of screen time, individual stories and songs allocated to her.

I was responding to an argument that lea should get a lot of praise for being professional while being "treated badly"on the show when IMO she is dosent, with plenty of screen time, individual stories and songs allocated to her.

um sure.    

The biopic that Chris will be starring in (as the lead actor) is getting quite a lot of industry attention and he will be working with some amazing co-stars (including Ian McKellan, Vanessa Redgrave and Jonathan Price). Hardly C-level stuff.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that it's going to be a challenge for any of the cast to maintain a career outside of Glee, but several of them are off to good starts right now (Harry, Kevin and Diana). And once Chris and Lea are free and have more time to actually take work we'll get a better sense of how in demand they are. Chris does have an advantage with his GG win and multiple Emmy nominations (which means that he's taken seriously by the industry as an actor) and Lea's going to get some boost because of the good critical write ups she got on Glee (back when critics and the industry were actually paying attention to Glee).

Kevin McHale's movie that just premiered in the Toronto film festival costars Dustin Hoffman, Kathy Bates, Eddy Izard and Josh Lucas. Kevin has a supporting role as a teacher but it's not some throwaway film with such a cast. I think Diana Agron has something like 5 movies in the can and pending including one with a critically lauded young director.

Once the new year hits and Glee is closer to the end we'll find out more about which actors have other projects not yet announced. After the Noel Coward bio Chris has said he's attached to act in another movie he's not at liberty to reveal yet and has said his projects, both acting, writing and producing will keep him busy for at least the next two years. Already several TV showrunners have expressed interest in working with , including the HIC that he's guest starred already. His book series he said may be made into a movie, he's negotiating as we speak and he has at least 2 more books coming out next year.

Lea is going to produce another album and finally tour to promote it, as well as write another book and look for more acting opportunities.

It's way too soon to write off the Glee actors post show careers.

Edited by caracas1914

Adding Matthews other side work. His solo music career has allowed him to perform at many great events over the years. He had tŵo tv concert movies made, one for each album. The first for SKY in the U.K. and the other for PBS. He performed at the Kennedy Centre honours for two years in a row, Christmas in Washington, A Capitol Fourth, the national anthem at a bunch of sport events, the Tony awards and the Olivia's . His symphony orcrestra tour is also still doing well after over two years now ( approx one a month). Additionally he has filmed three movies now. Tulip fever, stars Christoph Waltz and Judi Dench. That definitely appears to be a Prestige project too.

Edited by Pink ranger

Tulip fever, a movie Matthew has a supporting role in, stars Christoph Waltz and Judi Dench. That definitely appears to be a Prestige project too.

Having Harvey Weinstein in your corner is never a bad thing either.

Not many shows with big cast have most of them go on to anything huge.   Glee will probably be the biggest thing for most of them.   I dislike how some people act like being on bway or if  your movie isn't a blockbuster somehow  the actor isn't successful.   Most actors careers ebb and flow.

The Glee cast is so much larger than most shows though, 23 series regulars now. So I think that the odds are greater that more than one or two will do well.

And if they can do well with this level of writing, imagine what they'll do with a decent script. 

And if they can do well with this level of writing, imagine what they'll do with a decent script.

I think the Glee cast overall is very talented . Look at Harry Shum Jr. , a lesser supporting character and the way he's branching out into a prestigious Scorsese produced film and now filming the "Hidden Dragon, crouching Tiger" sequel.

The one advantage the Glee cast has is that they know how to work in very tough working conditions, ie 60-80 hours a week encompassing choreography and singing rehearsals. Chris Colfer has commented that he realized even in HW their work schedule was unique. That's why in some level they've learned from a Glee things that will help them throughout their careers.

• Love 1

Adding to Ann Mack's list: Kevin will be shooting another movie which also stars Aaron Tveit. Darren also did How to Succeed on Broadway and the Sondheim tribute doc for HBO, guested on Web Therapy, did voiceover work for a few movies and TV series, did a summer tour, and has this Motley thing on the side. He, Lea and Amber also do relatively frequent appearances as event performers (which also pays well). Jane did Annie on Broadway, hosts an NBC game show for which she just won an Emmy, and has some projects in production. Mark released a CD way back and is doing another as far as I heard. Jayma is a regular on a TV show. Chris also guested on Hot in Cleveland and Romy's web series, and will be on Tim Daly's web series, said that he's negotiating with Disney to develop some of their properties and is supervising other people writing (which to me means he's producing a whole slew of projects), and will also appear in the AbFab movie when Jennifer Saunders is ready with the script. Grant has The Flash. Melissa and Blake were shooting a movie together which Blake wrote, and had like half the Glee crew working on it. That's provided some of them are still regulars on Glee and thus still restricted to accept projects. 

Based on this list, I'd say these people are HUSTLING. They are not twiddling their thumbs waiting for the Glee syndication money to kick in, they're out there working and trying to get work. Some of the projects are minor or haven't been successful, such as Mark's CD, but I wouldn't discount even him even if I'm tempted to. Ten years ago, I didn't expect to see Leto and McConaughey as Oscar winners but there you go. You never know how some careers will pan out. There is the luck factor, and a lot depends on the choices they make from now on. I'd say Glee gave them a great head start. Regardless of how low Glee has fallen, it's a biased fan perception that the show will harm them. The industry perception is another thing entirely, and I think it's in their favor. At least one reason for this is what caracas1914 said about them being able to carry a tough workload. People also like to work with people they like, and at least for some of them it's clear they've made some good connections, like Chris with some writers, showrunners and directors, Lea of course with Ryan for Funny Girl, Darren with some Broadway peeps (even if I don't think he's that good for Bway, at least as far as musicals go), musicians, and various well-connected people. And that's only the things that are known, I don't doubt we don't know the full picture. 

At this point, it's too early to be saying Glee is the high point in all their careers. We need at least a couple of years post-Glee to have an idea how things are going. 

Edited by fakeempress

My dream scenario would be for Glee to turnout to be this generations Micky Mouse Club an incubator of multiple future stars that reach the level of Justin Timberlake, Ryan Gosling, Britney Spears ect

Edited by Pink ranger

Any chance we can swing this conversation back around to spoilers and spoiler speculation? We seem to be going off topic.

There are pics of the "That's So Rachel" set out there and they're casting for a bunch of high school kids. Plus, a Carrot Top sighting! Yeah, that's about it...

• Love 1

No idea why they would have Originals  all back this early in the season, the only one missing is Harry, probably due to making his movie in Asia.

I would love different duet combinations in singing for once, and for God's sake, how hard is it at this point to get one friggin group number with everyone in it.   And a number with the Original five also, please from the pilot.

Weird is the "new normal" for Glee. Everything they have released so far pertaining to this last season has been either weird, bizarre, really...., so... not necessary, head scratching, are you kidding me, what the hell are you doing that for, this makes no sense, c'mon guys, why are you even bothering type information. So those 3 not being mentioned is just following suit for how unpredictable and strange these last 13 episodes may be.

Edited by Ann Mack

I think that it would be intresting if each of the alumni formed alliances with one of the different show choirs. IE either ND, VA or the warblers. That would be a way that the major focus of this three choirs compitition story will be on the old characters ( as teammates/rivals) and not 5 new kids that we have never met before.

Edited by Pink ranger

I think that it would be intresting if each of the alumni formed alliances with one of the different show choirs. IE either ND, VA or the warblers. That would be a way that the major focus of this three choirs compitition story will be on the old characters ( as teammates/rivals) and not 5 new kids that we have never met before.

That would make sense (so it's unlikely). The alumni have as much a connection to Will as they do Rachel, and no-one seemed to have a connection to McKinley as a school.

In season 4 when graduates returned to the choir room just to help out a common complaint was that it felt unsatisfactory since the appearances didn't really add to "their" story. If however say Quinn joined VA and Puck the Warblers for what ever reason then there is a source of tension between two LIs that could be mined. That set up could add a extra layer of storytelling potential.

While I don't think it's " great", there has to be ways to shake up a well worn format for the final season.

Does anyone else think it's weird that Will, Sue, and Beiste aren't listed as being in the second episode?

I think these characters are considered as already being at McKinley, so not worth mentioning, while the other 'old' characters are all coming back to McKinley for 'Homecoming'.

Plus they are the adults, the teachers, who haven't really gotten much individual focus since season 2 (except for that terrible spousal abuse PSA with Beiste).

I think these characters are considered as already being at McKinley, so not worth mentioning, while the other 'old' characters are all coming back to McKinley for 'Homecoming'.

Plus they are the adults, the teachers, who haven't really gotten much individual focus since season 2 (except for that terrible spousal abuse

PSA with Beiste).

I would've agreed if the source hadn't listed Rachel, Blaine, Kurt, and Sam too.

I think the source was focused on the "kid" characters and not the adults so that is why they weren't listed.  Nothing more than that.  I assume if it is a McKinley homecoming at least Sue and especially Beiste will be there (since homecoming usually take place around football games).  I also assume that with all of the living original "kids" save Mike, we will see Will as well.

If however say Quinn joined VA and Puck the Warblers for what ever reason then there is a source of tension between two LIs that could be mined. That set up could add a extra layer of storytelling potential.

The problem is that VA and the Warblers have never had a set of  fleshed out characters, other than Jesse St. James and Blaine.  Those schools were sketchbook at best, and it would be the NY narrative all over again with lack of focus and screen time.    I'm predicting they are going to by the 2nd or 3rd episode have  contrived reasons for Will and Blaine to be hanging out at  McKinley and not at Westerville and Carmel.   If anything Glee would have learned is they simply can't do split narratives.

Lea Michele said that she's gonna sing "a very popular Disney song". (x)

This is yet another confirmation that the spoilers that MJ's blog posted a while back are indeed real (at least the songlist, but I think the rest she spoiled from episode 1 is true as well).