Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: The Blind Auditions, Part 4

• Start Topic

(edited)

I don't think Blake will never got get a country artist he turns for, and he should get them. Blake has proven that he will help his singers, whether or not they win, and he has a lot of pull in country. The other coaches need to put in more effort with their contestants after the show. 

Glad Christina got another 4 chair turn. I'd love a lady to win.

I am surprised Christina and Adam didn't turn for the last guy who sang Chicken-Friend. I thought he was great, and I am not a country fan.

Edited by NewRadical
  • Love 1
(edited)

So is tomorrow the end of the blinds, or is just a behind the scenes episode?

Ashley how boring does your family have to been to not even get mentioned in your pre-package? Could be this season's non-descript pop singer that makes it a few rounds a la Grey or Sugar Joans. Pharell's other pickup in Briar might be a better coach/artist fit, although I don't necessarily see her getting to the live shows.

Koryn the pizza shop girl IMO had the most interesting voice of everybody we heard tonight. I'm not convinced she's long for Team Xtina but I could see Pharrell or even Blake swooping in for a steal....and Emeli Sande was a perfect song choice for her voice.

Jeremy U.S. soldier...check. Slightly more mature R&B singer a la Damien, Javier and Jermaine....check. Could easily see him as a co-favorite on Team Xtina along with India. The 3.5 seconds worth of Katelyn Read we got see were intriguing as well.

I liked Blake's pickup in Brian, not so much Brenna. Brian's voice was smooth, but in a season where Adam's team feels primarily composed of cannon fodder....I wonder if he's going to regret picking Blake when you start imagining possible battle pairings.....Jacob, Joshua, or even Brooke come to mind. Cody was overrated (glad he didn't get the final pimp slot four chair turn)....he's probably marketable as hell in a Hunter Hayes kind of vein, but I thought parts of that song lost pitch and melody something crazy.

Adam's team is seriously a wreck. If we believe that all of his montaged contestants were 1-chair turns, then he has 6 one chair turns (including Barry and the country singer he picked up in this episode). Plus he has Michael and Blaze....probably the two weakest 2-chair turns. He better hope that one of his montaged contestants can come out of nowhere or that Lexi (who wasn't bad, although with her pre-package I was expecting a Spanish or Spanglish audition) has the goods going forward because there's not much else to get excited about.

The no-chair turns were deserved tonight, I think....

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Last week, I thought "Adam's Struggle" was a fake storyline trumped up to create more interest and make him more sympathetic. But this week, I think it's real. Adam really seems to be not getting everyone he wants as usual. And I it seems like more than good editing to show how competitive Pharrell and Christina are this season. Pharrell is still so laid back, but at least it's not in a "checked out" way like CeeLo. I'm hoping his coaching will similarly approve.

As for Adam, all that energy seems kind of engaging this season and, disadvantaged or not, I'm enjoying his chemistry--all of their chemistry. Christina especially is adding a lot--lots more passion and fun (and making it about music and coaching) in her pitches than either Gwen or Shakira.

On a different note, how do these people decide what to wear for their once-in-a-lifetime television appearance in front of millions? I swear, some of them--both men and women--look like they just got back from the Laundromat.

• Love 4
(edited)
I am surprised Christina and Adam didn't turn for the last guy who sang Chicken-Friend. I thought he was great, and I am not a country fan.

He was good but why should they bother? The only reason Pharrell even turned for him was because no one appeared to be going for him. The song ended a second or two after he pushed his button. If I was a coach I would never push my button for a country artist because it's a foregone conclusion that they'll pick Blake.

And I can't even blame country artists because Blake has been succesful with them on and off the show but it's getting to the point of being a little bit obnoxious. I appreciate Pharrell and Adam for that attempt though. Pointless as it was.

Surprised that Adam's not winning as many multiple chair turns but happy about it. Finally a little change up from seasons past. I'm not even sure who's on his team tbh. No one really stands out in any special way. I think his best bet is if someone makes a mistake during the battle rounds - Pharrell's probably good for two ill-conceived battle pairings - and he picks up a couple more memorable artists.

That being said there's a lot less four chair turns than there were last season so things might look a bit more skewed. You can tell that they're trying to raise the bar and not just pushing the button for everyone.

Edited by Village
  • Love 1

Um, well, the song is "Chicken Fried," by Zac Brown Band, and the original is much better. I thought that last guy was, uh, not very good.

This show is about the judges, at the end of the day.

• Love 2
(edited)

Completely agree ennui, it felt like half of tonight's auditions ended up with the judges (especially Blake and Adam) clapping and gesturing towards each other rather than the contestant. I can see a place for the judges to celebrate after they're the coach chosen, but before that it really takes the spotlight away from the auditioners....and it just feels like the gamesmanship has reached an all time saturation point. Particularly the ongoing attempts to get a country artist to not pick Blake if he turns around.

• Love 3

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm not feeling all this judge plotting against the other judge bullshit.  The main concept of the show is based on the principle of picking people purely on the quality of their voices without the typical music industry crap.  Yet here we are with the voices taking a back seat to all the industry veterans' shenanigans.  Maybe it's just as well though, at least for this episode as my mind kept drifting while most of them were singing.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm not feeling all this judge plotting against the other judge bullshit.  The main concept of the show is based on the principle of picking people purely on the quality of their voices without the typical music industry crap.  Yet here we are with the voices taking a back seat to all the industry veterans' shenanigans.  Maybe it's just as well though, at least for this episode as my mind kept drifting while most of them were singing.

In theory, at least, the judges' "strategic" shenanigans are designed to pull the strongest singers to their teams so, while I thoroughly agree they are annoying and often just silly, I don't think they really undermine the premise of the Voice.

I also agree that it looks like Blake is so dominant with his multiple wins, his connections in the industry, his understanding of the genre and his willingness to support his artists after the show,he pretty much cannot be denied any country artist he turns for. I think it would be really interesting if one year he was challenged by another country expert - maybe the Blonde Woman Seat could go to Faith Hill or Taylor Swift one season.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 2

He was good but why should they bother? The only reason Pharrell even turned for him was because no one appeared to be going for him. The song ended a second or two after he pushed his button. If I was a coach I would never push my button for a country artist because it's a foregone conclusion that they'll pick Blake.

I mentioned that in my original pos, however the judges can't really just stop turning for country artists. A big part of the appeal of the blinds is the coaches fighting. Plus having four chairs turn, seems to be an achievement, it wouldn't be fair to deny that to country artists just because they are making the choice that will most likely result in success for them.

I was surprised when Christina did not turn for the first girl too, it seemed right up her alley. Are the blinds in order? Or is it possible for teams to be filled, but just not filled on the show yet?

Um, well, the song is "Chicken Fried," by Zac Brown Band, and the original is much better. I thought that last guy was, uh, not very good.

That's fair. I thought he did well and he screamed young pop-country which seems to do well on this show.

Okay, I liked the soldier, but can we add Superstar to a list of "Retired From All Vocal Competition TV Shows" set list? It was getting played out back when Ruben Studdard did it. It's like figure skaters who skate to Carmen. There's always a couple who haul it out in every competition.

• Love 1

Another lackluster episode in my opinion. I actually found the snippets in the montaged auditions more interesting than the full auditions. Seems like there is more focus on coach interactions than ever before. Or maybe I just feel that way because these contestants are so unimpressive.

Time for the coaches to stop expressing surprise at the contestants' ages. We get it. These guys and gals are young. It's really no longer that special when the majority of the contestants are amateurs.  

Now that the blinds are almost over, I think we can look at the numbers to see how competitive these coaches were. Based on wikipedia:

4-chair turns: Adam 1, Pharrell 2, Christina 2, Blake 2

3-chair turns: Adam 1, Pharrell 2, Christina 2, Blake 1

2-chair turns: Adam 4, Pharrell 5, Christina 4, Blake 6

1-chair turns: Adam 5, Pharrell 1, Christina 3, Blake 2

Looks like a relatively balanced outcome. Adam has been the least competitive though nowhere near as bad as the first 1.5 episodes suggested. It looks like we're back to pre-season 4 levels when all the coaches were equally competitive.  Four-chair turns are still relatively high at 7 for now (could be 1 or 2 more when all is said and done), but at least that is a step down from the 12 last season and 11 the season before. I still think that standards have dropped quite a bit and some four-chair turns this season should have been more like 1- or 2-chair turns.  

I was surprised when Christina did not turn for the first girl too, it seemed right up her alley. Are the blinds in order? Or is it possible for teams to be filled, but just not filled on the show yet?

No, blinds are not in order.  Coaches wear the same outfits for the entire several days these blinds are filmed so the show can play around with the order.  The blinds are heavily edited.  

• Love 2

I guess I don't watch enough of these competition shows, because I was startled and thrilled to hear Jeremy sing "Superstar"! I wasn't expecting it at all, and it is one of my favorite songs. I'd be even happier if I could hear someone pull out a more obscure Carpenters song and really make it their own.

(Karen Carpenter is one of my all-time favorite singers, and since my voice is in her range, even though it nowhere near matches up to her quality--no one can--I just love to sing along to Carpenters' albums!)

• Love 2
Now that the blinds are almost over, I think we can look at the numbers to see how competitive these coaches were. Based on wikipedia:

4-chair turns: Adam 1, Pharrell 2, Christina 2, Blake 2
3-chair turns: Adam 1, Pharrell 2, Christina 2, Blake 1
2-chair turns: Adam 4, Pharrell 5, Christina 4, Blake 6
1-chair turns: Adam 5, Pharrell 1, Christina 3, Blake 2

Last year, Craig Wayne Boyd was a two-chair turn (in addition to being cut and stolen twice). I'm actually surprised that isn't being brought up to some of these kids who didn't get a four chair turn (not to mention to Adam, who seems to use the "King of the Four Chair Turn" as a dick measuring tool...emphasis on tool).

Viewers care a lot about 4-chair turns probably because the show is more about the coaches than the contestants. But do the contestants really care? It's a nice ego booster but not a guarantee of success on the show.  

I posted the data on 4-chair turns in the Coach Strategery thread last season. Historically only half of all 4-chair turns make it to lives.  

In theory, at least, the judges' "strategic" shenanigans are designed to pull the strongest singers to their teams so, while I thoroughly agree they are annoying and often just silly, I don't think they really undermine the premise of the Voice.

I also agree that it looks like Blake is so dominant with his multiple wins, his connections in the industry, his understanding of the genre and his willingness to support his artists after the show,he pretty much cannot be denied any country artist he turns for. I think it would be really interesting if one year he was challenged by another country expert - maybe the Blonde Woman Seat could go to Faith Hill or Taylor Swift one season.

I've never minded the psychological warfare and salesmanship... I get that the hustle is an important part of the music industry as well as all types of business.

I'm referring more specifically to the behind the scenes games like where Adam and Blake say... "Hey, let's team up against Christina and Pharrell"  That part cheapens the whole process for me and makes it seem like a mini sitcom instead of serious judging.

YES, exactly this.  As much as I don't care about country it would be nice if the judging was a little more even.  IE, not 3 pop-stars vs one country star.  They need two of each.  

No, blinds are not in order.  Coaches wear the same outfits for the entire several days these blinds are filmed so the show can play around with the order.  The blinds are heavily edited.  

Hence why they are not allowed to watch the singers when their teams are full like they did in season one. 

• Love 1

It's really interesting to see the advantage evening out this season, imo, for the first time. Even though Blake seems to have the edge this time over Adam, which is kind of refreshing.

I liked Pharrell telling him, "Bro, you're on another level" after he beat him out for an R&B singer. Because I think he is, too, and not just for country singers. He's got several things--the "I'm about branding you for what -you- like to sing, not changing you",  the friendly, big-brother demeanor that helps de-stress contestants; the connections to Nashville if you are country; and the obvious willingness to help and stay in touch when the show is over.

He'd probably be my first choice, too, regardless of genre. (Although I -might- be tempted to choose Xtina for actual vocal coaching. I think Blake does well discouraging oversinging, too many runs, and emphasizing the meaning and feeling of a song, but Christina could probably guide you better on specific techniques.)

• Love 5

For me, this episode was the opposite of Monday`s.  There were no really outstanding performances like India´s.  But at the same time, almost all the people who got through showed a decent level of talent. 

Perhaps the most naturally talented were the younger singers, who unfortunately also suffered from their inexperience and/or nerves.  This includes the likes of Koryn, Lexi and Brenna.  I just have to wonder if they will be able to pull it together during the next rounds.  If any of them can, then they could become a threat.  Otherwise, no one from this episode seems like a real contender, because none of the others were more than competent.

(edited)

I am glad to see Adam struggling.  I think most people by now have to see just why he is not a great choice as a coach.  In the last Voice Adam by far had the strongest team and 3 of his contestants were in the final four.  Matt McAndrews dominated the entire season's run, both in the votes and in I-Tune sales.  If Adam hadn't given him such an idiotic song like Somewhere Over the Rainbow, I am convinced Matt would have indeed won and been last Season's "The Voice". 

Edited by rabbitears3
  • Love 2

As far as country singers go, I can remember twice when country singers picked another coach over Blake when he had also turned around. Once it was the duo The Line (I believe that was their name) who picked Christina, and one was a solo male artist who picked Adam after a heavy Adam sales pitch. Both went home the next round, and both were paired against,in my opinion, coach's favorites. So that is another reason to go with Blake if he wants you, and you're country. You know the other thing that drives me crazy when the other coaches are trying to woo a country artist, when they say something along the lines of "you can be bigger then country". I know Christina said it to someone this week. It feels like they never say that about any other genre, just country. If I'm a real country artist I would find that insulting, as if being a country star isn't being successful enough.

• Love 1

Pretty sure Xtina's team was filled for a couple of these auditions. She has a definite "fake contemplating" tell when she's not able to turn. Girl should not play poker.

Yeah, I've been noticing that so far, there are times where she or Pharrell don't turn, but look sad about it and gush about the artist.  Look, either you can't turn so why act like you made a bad choice... or you could have and didn't, so why the fake regret, 'I'm a dummy' nonsense?

It's the next day, and all I can really say for commentary is that I remember almost no one, so I guess they didn't make much of an impression!  I thought the last guy had a reedy, thin voice all things considered, what with him being the 4-chair hyped up final spot.

Oh, and Brenna, who is from my home state of Washington (but on the eastern side in Spokane) and is precious.  I mean, she's just cute as a button and actually a decent singer, but I couldn't stop laughing that her tragedy basically boiled down to "When I was four we moved to a different house".  You even got the poor girl to cry on camera about it, and try to force the story of her home onto the judges before Blake accidentally cut her off.

I mean, holy shit The Voice, you are really reaching for your sob stories at this point; what data have these producers seen that says people desperately want the extended and mostly manufactured sob stories, which at this point run longer than the performances themselves.  Also, how long was that edited package?!?  They were at her job, her home, her hobbies, even her former home where she likes to go back from time to time... no doubt to the continuing surprise of the current home owners who looked out the window and said "Why is a strange young girl walking up our driveway being followed by a camera crew?".. o.0

Er, anyway... thanks for letting me vent. :)  It does seem that we're skewing crazy young this year; is it me, or are there a disproportionate number of 15-17 year old auditioners making it through to the next round, and many of the rest being early 20s?  I guess I'm getting old, but since the show isn't making anyone a star anyway I'd rather we skip the teenagers till they're more seasoned unless they're truly, freakishly good.  Both on "Rockstar" and then on "The Voice" in that first season especially, Burnett was picking people who'd toured/worked professionally, and it was a nice contrast to AI et al.  The first season of The Voice, like "Rockstar: INXS" worked because these people were good and trained and experienced.  I feel like if the coaches have to pretty much tell you how to not freak the hell out during your audition, like with that ultra-shy Lexi, you're probably not ready to be on the show yet.

• Love 1
(edited)

nextian, The male singer you were referring to was Warren Stone. he ultimately lost out to Sarah Simmons (who made the semis iirc) in a knockout round where many people (myself included) thought he deservedly won. Chalk another one up to Adam's sticking w/ predetermined favorites in both the battles and KO's

Slightly off topic, but Warren was a firefighter, and there is currently a firefighter named Stevie dominating the early portion of The Voice's UK franchise.

• Love 1
(edited)

All right.  A day late, but the current team roster/cheat sheet:

Team Adam

Tonya Boyd-Cannon (3)
Blaze Johnson (2)
Deanna Johnson (4)
Michael Leier (2)
Bren’nae DeBarge (1)*
James McNeiece (1)*
Barry Minniefield (1)
Nicolette Maré (1)*
Lexi Dávila (2)
Josh Batstone (2)*
Jack Gregori (1)

Team Pharrell

Lowell Oakley (2)
Meghan Linsey (3)
Sawyer Fredericks (4)
Anthony Riley (4)
Mia Z (2)
Kimberly Nichole (2)
Travis Ewing (3)
Noelle Bybee (1)*
Ashley Morgan (2)
Briar Jonnee (2)

Team Christina
Rob Taylor (3)
Treeva Gibson (2)
Gabriel Wolfchild (3)
Joe Tolo (2)
Sonic (2)
Clinton Washington (1)*
India Carney (4)
Koryn Hawthorne (2)
Katelyn Read (1)*
Ameera Delandro (1)*
Jeremy Gaynor (4)

Team Blake
Sarah Potenza (4)
Cody Wickline (4)
Joshua Davis (2)
Brooke Adee (2)
Kelsie May (3)
Jacob Rummell (2)
Matt Snook (1)*
Bay Brooks (1)*
Brenna Yaeger (2)
Brian Johnson (2)
Corey Kent White (2)

Bolded names indicate new additions.  The number in parentheses indicates the number of chair turns.  And the asterisks indicate montaged contestants.

As for the rejects, Jess Gallo's voice certainly was unique, and I think she'd have managed a chair turn had she picked a song that could've showcased her voice a lot better.  I think the other rejects would've been out regardless, though.

I was very shocked that Jeremy went for Christina.  I really thought he'd go for Pharrell or, by some chance, Adam.

I find it quite telling that Pharrell's only had one montaged contestant thus far.  And what happened to Adam's King of the Four-Chair Turn?  Thus far, Deanna's his only one.  Blake, Pharrell, and Christina each have two.

I'm surprised they ended this episode when there are still five slots left on the teams.  One for Adam, Christina, and Blake each, and two for Pharrell.  Apparently, the next new episode is the last few blinds and going into the Battle Rounds.

And on a final note (for now), I find it very refreshing that they didn't end this episode on a four-chair turn, instead having it be a two-chair turn.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
(edited)

I liked Warren Stone a lot! But I also liked the person he was up against, Sarah Simmons. And we lost Midas Whale as well that season The show wasn't doing knockout steals then so it lost a lot of good talent because Adam's team was so stacked. And remember Blake was going all-country so it's not like these people would have fared any better on Blake's team. He had no room! It's why Amber was on Adam's team.

Ahh, memories that probably belong in another thread. Do we have an all-seasons thread?

ETA: actually to tie it to the country discussion, I think season 4 is when Blake pigeon-holed himself as a country-only coach. He showed how successful he was as a country coach and he also showed ever since then that he really is not a good non-country coach. It's like night and day when you compare his abilities this way. Also season 4 showed that a country contestant will likely be coached to do non-country songs on other teams (i.e. Amber with Adam). The non-country coaches just don't have the necessary knowledge. So is it any wonder that all country people will go Blake's way?

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 1

I find it quite telling that Pharrell's only had one montaged contestant thus far.  And what happened to Adam's King of the Four-Chair Turn?  Thus far, Deanna's his only one.  Blake, Pharrell, and Christina each have two.

I'm surprised they ended this episode when there are still five slots left on the teams.  One for Adam, Christina, and Blake each, and two for Pharrell.  Apparently, the next new episode is the last few blinds and going into the Battle Rounds.

And on a final note (for now), I find it very refreshing that they didn't end this episode on a four-chair turn, instead having it be a two-chair turn.

First, thank you so much for the running tally. It is so helpfui!  Also agree about ending with a two-chair turn. Seems less manipulative/hyped of us, somehow. Also interesting how Adam is no longer the king of the four chair turn--or even pretty much snatching up all the best singers (or so it often seemed). He seems to have the weakest team this season, never saw that happen before, but it's refreshing.

Who knew there was an episode tonight? Why? Is there definitely just one show Monday to finish up F5 and also start the Battle Rounds? I don't remember it being like that before.

I will say I like all the tinkering they've done with the format since F1, particularly changing up the coaches from time to time (new energy!) and the addition of the steal. Christina is really adding a lot of good-natured spunky pizzazz and I'm happy with the tone between her and Adam, whether genuine or not. Hope she keeps it up throughout!  (Him, too.)

Who knew there was an episode tonight? Why? Is there definitely just one show Monday to finish up F5 and also start the Battle Rounds? I don't remember it being like that before.

From what I read, the first hour on Monday will be the final Blinds.  The second hour is the first few Battle Rounds.  Interesting change-up.

• Love 1

What about the girl that sang using her throat only?  In her prepackage she kept talking about how she sounded different...er yeah she did and not in a good way.  I thought she was punking the judges.  Adam suggested she try something dark....I suggest voice lessons.

I liked Warren Stone a lot! But I also liked the person he was up against, Sarah Simmons. And we lost Midas Whale as well that season The show wasn't doing knockout steals then so it lost a lot of good talent because Adam's team was so stacked. And remember Blake was going all-country so it's not like these people would have fared any better on Blake's team. He had no room! It's why Amber was on Adam's team.

Ahh, memories that probably belong in another thread. Do we have an all-seasons thread?

ETA: actually to tie it to the country discussion, I think season 4 is when Blake pigeon-holed himself as a country-only coach. He showed how successful he was as a country coach and he also showed ever since then that he really is not a good non-country coach. It's like night and day when you compare his abilities this way. Also season 4 showed that a country contestant will likely be coached to do non-country songs on other teams (i.e. Amber with Adam). The non-country coaches just don't have the necessary knowledge. So is it any wonder that all country people will go Blake's way?

I agree completely, although Shakira did an excellent job with Kristen (Who should have been in the finals instead of Jake.) 

And it's good and bad for him. He gets all of the country contestants. but he struggles to get any other great contestant. Which is strange for someone who has won over half of the seasons. 

As much as I like Gwen, and loved her coaching, chemistry wise Christina has been a better fit with these guys. I like the little bit of edge she brings out in Pharrell. I also like that she doesn't hide her annoyance at the bromance. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree completely, although Shakira did an excellent job with Kristen (Who should have been in the finals instead of Jake.)

And it's good and bad for him. He gets all of the country contestants. but he struggles to get any other great contestant. Which is strange for someone who has won over half of the seasons.

As much as I like Gwen, and loved her coaching, chemistry wise Christina has been a better fit with these guys. I like the little bit of edge she brings out in Pharrell. I also like that she doesn't hide her annoyance at the bromance.

You're right. I forgot about Kristen partly because I was half checked out of that season. Though didn't she sing some pop songs too? Anyway, I probably should have added the caveat that the experienced contestants can get away with coaches in a different genre. Assuming the coaches let them have their way. The problem is with the inexperienced folks. I liked Reagan last season for example but she needed more guidance from Blake. Instead he let her do her own song choices. Cole in season 5 would have benefitted from some direction. Instead Blake had him genre-hop. So I think Blake has gotten quality non-country people but just doesn't know what to do with them. Maybe he'll get better eventually. Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sometime I'm going to watch my Voice DVR on a Friday or Saturday night, and have a drinking game with Mr. buffylew.  A drink every time Blake says "there's no one like you in this competition" or "you're not like anyone else", and a drink when anyone says "You can win this thing".  

You can see why that game couldn't happen on a weeknight..... 

Edited by buffylew

Sometime I'm going to watch my Voice DVR on a Friday or Saturday night, and have a drinking game with Mr. buffylew.  A drink every time Blake says "there's no one like you in this competition" or "you're not like anyone else",

You'd get even more plastered if you drank every time Pharrell says that, too, and words to that effect "You're an anomaly", "You're 'different', "You're 'other'".

Blake's version of it sounds so much better to me. Pharrell usually sounds like he's trying to say, "You're old", "You're not good looking", "You have a good voice but your song choice iwasn't good", "You don't look like a star but at least you can sing", etc.

Deanna is country, and she went with Adam for some inexplicable reason.

(edited)

Though she's from the south, I don't think Deana's a country singer. In her Season 5 audition she did Grace Potter's "Stars", while this time around it was Kodaline's "All I Want".  Kodaline is an Irish soft rock band with a sound that seems to be coming from the same school as other current Irish soft rock and folk rock artists like The Script, Passenger, Hozier, James Morrison, etc.  Some of the instrumentation on Deana's version of the song did sound a bit more folkish, but it wasn't country.

Though her performance was far from perfect (as Adam correctly noted), I personally liked her voice and in some ways actually prefer it to the vocals on the original Kodaline version of the song.  Like several other of the better younger contestants this season (Brooke, Teeva, Koryn), I see Deana as a work in progress, but with considerable natural talent and potential.  She's certainly already improved quite markedly since her Season 5 audition.  It's hard to say whether it will be enough to get very far this season, but she has a chance if she continues improving.

Edited to add that an interesting little factoid about Kodaline is that they first become known when they were runner-ups on a popular talent show on Irish television, though it was to be a few years before they perfected their sound and started hitting the Irish and UK charts.

Edited by viajero

You're right. I forgot about Kristen partly because I was half checked out of that season. Though didn't she sing some pop songs too? Anyway, I probably should have added the caveat that the experienced contestants can get away with coaches in a different genre. Assuming the coaches let them have their way. The problem is with the inexperienced folks. I liked Reagan last season for example but she needed more guidance from Blake. Instead he let her do her own song choices. Cole in season 5 would have benefitted from some direction. Instead Blake had him genre-hop. So I think Blake has gotten quality non-country people but just doesn't know what to do with them. Maybe he'll get better eventually.

She sang a few folk pop songs (Let her Go, Foolish Games)..which honestly, are more country sounding than a lot of current country music anyway. But Shakira seems to actually really love country music, and IMO she did her best job with Kristen. 

I think Blake can get them every once in a while, but Adam has done a good job in branding Blake the country coach. And he also kind of alludes to the fact that Blake doesn't know about music outside of country..which I'm sure makes contestants who aren't actually country think twice about picking them. (And for the most part, Adam's right...as you noted..the job he did with Reagan and Sisaundra wasn't too great. )

Edited by mercfan3

Actually, I loved what Blake did with Sisaundra. She had a phenomenal voice, but when she came on the show, she did so many runs that you could barely make out the melody of her songs.

Blake completely pulled her back from that so that you could hear the purity of just how great her voice was. And frankly, I think other coaches (like Adam) would have dumped her because of her age, while Blake protected her and elevated her as long as he had the opportunity to do so.

So while I don't normally think he's a great coach for non-country singers, and his taste in music is often stuck in generic mainstream 80s songs, in her case, In my opinion, he did such a good job that he inspired me to vote for her.

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 5

Actually, I loved what Blake did with Sisaundra. She had a phenomenal voice, but when she came on the show, she did so many runs that you could barely make out the melody of her songs.

Blake completely pulled her back from that so that you could hear the purity of just how great her voice was. And frankly, I think other coaches (like Adam) would have dumped her because of her age, while Blake protected her and elevated her as long as he had the opportunity to do so.

So while I don't normally think he's a great coach for non-country singers, and his taste in music is often stuck in generic mainstream 80s songs, in her case, In my opinion, he did such a good job that he inspired me to vote for her.

I agree completely with you about Blake and Sisaundra. That's one of the things I like most about his coaching is how he has the courage to tell them to cut waaayyy down on the runs (unlike, say, Christina, who often coaches them to do it). I was surprised--but pleased--he picked Sarah over the also-very-good Hannah even though Hannah was younger, cuter, more of a vote-getting "winner". And I thought, good as her audition was, that even as a non-country artist, Sarah (like Hannah) had improved a lot with Blake's coaching. I hope she'll make it well into the lives.  Blake definitely brings it all together for his country contestants, but he's often a very good choice for others as well.

And I say that as someone whose favorite genre of music on this show is soul/R&B. But I generally -do- hate the over-embellishment that has become so common and imo (MMV) is often just a lazy way of singing, overused so as to not have to hit the note precisely and instead sneak up on it, or hiding the (sloppy) transition to what is supposed to come next. It's like flare in a JJ Abrams' movie to me--okay in small doses, but extremely annoying when overused--even to the point of completely spoiling the scene/song.  So for me, Blake even does R&B singer--and rock or pop singers--a lot of favors when he stops them from doing that.

Edited by Padma

I disagree on that. 

It's a genre difference. R&B and soul is filled with those runs. Sure, it's not some people's taste, but it's also not necessarily a bad thing. Blake gave Sisaundra music more outside of her wheelhouse than Adam ever gives his contestants, and his suggestions..although good for country music..are somewhat irrelevant in R&B and soul.