Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation: Running Hot & Cold

• Start Topic

Legends of Tomorrow Spoilers: “Compromised” In The 1980s

REVELATIONS — When the Legends trace a timequake to President Reagan’s White House, they are shocked to discover their old enemy Damien Darhk (guest star Neal McDonough) is now a Senior Adviser to Reagan.  As the team works to uncover what Darhk has up his devious sleeve, Sara (Caity Lotz) struggles with the choice of getting revenge or helping with the team’s larger mission.  Thinking that the JSA members could be of help, Amaya (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) and Nate (Nick Zano) break into the JSA and are surprised at what they find.  Meanwhile, Stein (Victor Garber) tries to prevent his younger self from creating an even bigger time Abberation.  Franz Drameh, Dominic Purcell and Brandon Routh also star. David Geddes directed the episode written by Keto Shimizu & Grainne Godfree (205).  Original airdate 11/10/2016.

http://dclegendstv.com/2016/10/20/legends-of-tomorrow-spoilers-compromised-in-the-1980s/

• Love 1

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/21/legends-of-tomorrow-ep-on-the-new-leader-rips-status-and-the-legion-of-doom

Where is Rip Hunter?

Rip Hunter has vanished, but right now, the team doesn’t seem to be actively looking for him.

Explained Guggenheim, “That’s going to be something that's always going on in the background, and in some cases, the foreground of the various episodes. We don't want to change the mission statement to fixing aberrations to going and saving Rip. But the bat's sort of been taken out of their hands in the sense that there's no way to find Rip. What would they do? Even if they said like, okay, priority number one is finding Rip, I don't know how they would go about it given the nature of Rip's disappearance.”

That being said, when it came to where Rip is, Guggenheim revealed, “You will find out before the Legends do.”

Ugh.  Zombie civil war soldiers?  Seriously?  There's campy and then there's....zombie anything historical.

My guess is that Flashpoint caused Captain Cold to not go along with the Waverider for some reason so he's still alive, but the Legends remember the old timeline because being on the ship protected them from the changes (same as Earth-2 protected Wells and Jesse).

From Matt's Inside Line:

Can we get some scoop about Legends of Tomorrow? —Tania
Sara is going to take to her newly appointed role as the team’s captain like she took to bo staffs. “I have to give a lot of props to Caity Lotz,” executive producer Marc Guggenheim says. “As you start to see her become more and more comfortable with being the leader of this ragtag group, it’s so much fun to watch her. The character’s embodying the role of a leader. Caity’s performance really embraces it. It turns out to be one of the most successful things that we’ve done in Season 2. I’m super excited about it.”

http://tvline.com/2016/10/27/once-upon-a-time-spoilers-charmings-evil-queen/

I'm glad they are going to make her good at being a leader. Sara's been through hell she deserves nice things. 

I forgot that Jonah Hex didn't think Sara could do anything because she's a woman. Now he'll have to deal with Captain Sara Lance.

“Outlaw Country” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

STRENGTH AND WEAKNESS — The Legends are still reeling from the news that their time travel-nemesis is a speedster when they are alerted to an Aberration in the Old West. When the Legends arrive they find their old friend Jonah Hex (guest star Jonathan Schaech) in trouble with his arch-nemesis, Quentin Turnbull (guest star Jeff Fahey). The team soon discovers that they need to stop Turnbull and his gang from conquering the West and branding it his own lawless territory. To Hex’s surprise, Sara (Caity Lotz) is in charge and dispatches the team. Rory (Dominic Purcell) is ecstatic to be in the Wild West, but Sara makes Amaya (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) work with him to keep him on task, which is easier said than done. Meanwhile, Nate (Nick Zano), Ray (Brandon Routh) and Jax (Franz Drameh) try to infiltrate Turnball’s gang, but find themselves in a shootout leaving Nate’s confidence shaken. Victor Garber also stars. Cherie Nowlan directed the episode written by Matthew Maala & Chris Fedak (#206). Original airdate 11/17/2016.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/10/legends-of-tomorrow-episode-206-outlaw.html

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Brandon Routh and Maisie Richardson-Sellers preview tonight's episode.

http://tvline.com/2016/11/03/legends-of-tomorrow-season-2-preview-atom-suit-destroyed/

“There’s no dwarf star alloy, so he’s kind of screwed,” says Ray’s portrayer, Brandon Routh, alluding to the extremely rare element that gave the Atom suit it’s shrinking ability. “That becomes a story point.”

“He’s going to be without the suit for some time,” Routh continues, “and that gives him an opportunity to figure out this whole hero business — what it is to be a hero, and if he’s a hero without the suit. All [of that] comes into play very heavily in the next three episodes.”

“This [episode]’s quite an interesting one,” says new Legends addition Maisie Richardson-Sellers, “because it’s dealing with quite a delicate subject matter – slavery — alongside the slightly comical subject of zombies. But I think we’ve done it in a very sensitive way.

“For Amaya and Jax to experience slavery firsthand, they get into some pretty sticky situations,” the English actress previews. “That brings them closer, and it sort of opens her eyes to a world that she never really knew about, which is her heritage. For those two especially, it’s quite an emotional episode.”

• Love 2

I don't really understand Ray's issue, his team Captain has no powers or super suit, same with Mick. And they go out and fight powered people all the time. Yes, Sara is highly trained but she's not super human. She's got the same regular human weaknesses he has without his suit. 

Maybe he should stop worrying about calling himself a hero and just save the world because it's the right thing to do. That's probably why I'm more drawn to the characters that aren't interested in being called heroes because they saved someone. They fight the good fight just because. 

I hope this is a good episode for Jax and Amaya, I want to see some character development for both of them. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

“For Amaya and Jax to experience slavery firsthand, they get into some pretty sticky situations,” the English actress previews. “That brings them closer, and it sort of opens her eyes to a world that she never really knew about, which is her heritage. For those two especially, it’s quite an emotional episode.”

Is it her heritage?  I thought she was African, not descended from Africans brought to America to be slaves. That, of course, does not mean that she isn't subject to all the injustices facing African-Americans.  I guess she really meant that experiencing American slavery exposed her to the grossest mistreatment of people of color to a much greater degree.

53 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't really understand Ray's issue, his team Captain has no powers or super suit, same with Mick. And they go out and fight powered people all the time. Yes, Sara is highly trained but she's not super human. She's got the same regular human weaknesses he has without his suit. 

Perhaps he's always been the smart kid derided for his lack of physical ability.  He used his intelligence to remedy the latter problem.  Now that edge is gone and he's back to being an insecure kid.  Mick and Sara were never pigeon-holed as brains over brawn.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

I think maybe it's just that Ray is used to being one of the powerhouses of the team.   Sara's by far the best physical fighter, sure, but it's not like she or the other unpowered/unsuited teammates could go one on one with the Leviathan or take on an exploding meteor without help.  Ray could and did.

It's pretty understandable that he'd feel that loss.   He went from being one of the top two heavy hitters (with Firestorm), to being considerably less effective than the unpowered heroes, since he hasn't shown any particular skill with hand-to-hand or melee combat like Sara or even Rip, and he doesn't have Mick's capacity for violence.  It's understandable, I think, that he's going to feel weak and useless for a while until he realizes what he still has to offer.

• Love 4

I enjoy this journey they set up for Ray. In many ways it fixes the inherent problems with his origin in this Flarrowverse. He was immediately designated a Hero because of the Suit. During his time on Arrow, the writers told us he was a Hero despite his lack of training, mission or anything really besides the suit. It takes so much more than a mask or no mask to make a superhero.

Sara is a superhero because of her skills and her sacrifices to the greater good. No one is questioning her credentials. I can understand why Ray would believe people would question his credentials. I mean I've been questioning them since Day 1. He went a long way to improving that last season. But its nice to see the show attempt to make the audience appreciate that it takes more than a cool suit to be a hero. I just hope they don't suck at it. They set up some nice stories for s1 and then failed miserably on execution. 

• Love 1

I can't see them really using KC on Arrow, because I can't see LL ever being brought back...

However, do we think that they will bring her back as Black Siren and make her one of the members of Legion of Doom? I don't think BS was an original member, but DCTV is on a budget and has to avoid the Bat villains. SO perhaps she'll get included, also they might claim that she is part of their Flarrowverse Legion to make the Legion more tailored to their audience.

Im just trying to speculate how they might use KC's special contract beyond the picture frames, ugly statues and rando useless scenes.

Short interview with the cast during the filming of the crossover. 

My favorite part. 

Melissa: "If I can choose someone to be on the Supergirl team, I think we'd call Sara Lance"
Stephen: "If I can have someone to be on the Arrow team. We'd bring back Sara Lance"

• Love 6

I now have a very vivid mental image of Sara eating popcorn and watching as Team Arrow and Team Supergirl argue over who gets her.

On a side note, I really hope they just have her hair like that for the promo.  This has been such a good hair season for Sara, and I really don't want to see her go back to that.

• Love 1

I thought it was strange they're promoting the crossover as Heroes vs. Aliens since aliens are almost exclusively tied to Supergirl.     Then I had a thought...what if the alien threat is...The Thanagarians.  They've already been established in Legends, they're supposed to invade Earth in the future and future Barry told Rip a war is coming.  Vandal Savage was supposed to be the only one that could save Earth from the Thanagarians and since the Legends took him out, I'm guessing Earth falls in the future and Barry decides it needs to be fixed in the past.   And since Supergirl is an alien, I'm guessing current Barry goes to get her for help.   Of course if it is the Thanagarians, that means we're in for a return visit from the Hawks.

Matt Roush comments on Rip Hunter:

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/102772/ask-matt-rip-hunter-legends-of-tomorrow-the-walking-dead-the-good-place/

Question: I'm only watching DC’s Legends of Tomorrow to see when Arthur Darvill returns, and I'm not going to be happy if he's not back soon. Please let me know that I can look forward to future happiness! – Doretta

Question: I am a fan of DC's Legends of Tomorrow. It can be a bit frantic, but it wins me over. However, one of the main reasons I stuck with it is now gone. Do we know if Arthur Darvill will be returning or has Rip Hunter left us for good? They will probably lose me if he's gone too much longer. — Mark

Question: I need for Rip Hunter to return to Legends. Please let me know I have his return to look forward to before I give up the show and completely miss his return! - Tahonia

Matt Roush: And this is a sampling of what my mailbag looks like when fans get rattled. As most of you are probably aware, I don’t deal with spoilers in this column, but I totally get why Legendsfans (can’t say I dabble regularly) would be upset to lose Arthur Darvill even temporarily. For me, he’s one of the few saving graces in this ensemble (Victor Garber being an essential other). I’ve been a fan since his Doctor Who days as the adorable Rory—and let’s not forget Broadchurch. The network is being circumspect about the Rip situation, and you can probably make your own conclusions from the fact that Darvill is no longer in the opening credits. But I’m hearing that we haven’t seen the last of Rip, just in what context and when is still a mystery. Which may not put anyone’s mind to rest, although in fantasy shows like this you never want to say never.

Edited by Proteus

The opening credits comment is interesting.  He's not in the opening credits of Shogun, Abominations, or Compromised.  He is however in the opening credits of JSA (since he appeared in flashback), and it was his standard listing.  No "guest starring" or "special appearance by".  To me, that sounds like he's still a regular, it's just that there's no contractual obligation to list him in the episodes that he doesn't appear in.

It's similar to how Dominic Purcell wasn't in the credits for Night of the Hawk, last season.  

Of course, god knows if any of that means anything at all.  But as a Rip fan, I tend to think the network silence is a good sign.  If he were off the show for good, I think they'd just say so.  They've never had any problems doing that before.

• Love 4

I have mixed feelings about the Rip situation.  I do think the show is missing something without him, and I think he will eventually be coming back (unlike Cold - I'm kind of losing hope on that front). But I'm so much enjoying having Sara as team leader that I'm not looking forward to her stepping down once Rip returns.  Maybe she'all stay as Captain and Rip can be her second in command?

42 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I have mixed feelings about the Rip situation.  I do think the show is missing something without him, and I think he will eventually be coming back (unlike Cold - I'm kind of losing hope on that front). But I'm so much enjoying having Sara as team leader that I'm not looking forward to her stepping down once Rip returns.  Maybe she'all stay as Captain and Rip can be her second in command?

I think they could easily share the position. They aren't going to undo something that is working so well, but if Rip comes back, it's still his ship so he can't be just one of the passengers, lol.  

I was thinking they might be co-captains.  They each have expertise in areas where the other lacks.  He's got the temporal expertise and know-how, she's got the tactical expertise and people skills.   And really, Rip never seemed to be all that happy being a leader, and never seemed to be particularly interested in trying to enforce his commands, so he'd probably appreciate that Sara's stepped forward and actually has managed some control of the group.  She can focus on that part, while he keeps them from being quite as careless as they've been in the last few episodes.

Given their temperaments, it could work really well.

• Love 4

I dunno, at this point I expect for Rip to appear in 1/2 episodes, give Sara his blessings and then disappear for good. 

Or maybe I'm just too bitter over Santino Fontana leaving CEG (my currently favorite show featuring my favorite ship... well, not anymore, that is). At this point, I'm fed up with CW shows losing male characters I like. I hear even The Flash lost Wells (I don't watch it anymore, but I freaking love Wells). 

Wells is still on the Flash. He's a Wells from Earth 19 called HR. I'm not liking him and would rather Earth 2 Wells come back to th e team. 

I was never a big fan of Rip. So I'm not really missing him. I think the team has been working really well this season, more so then last season. 

• Love 2

I could see them bringing  Rip back and setting him up as a new Head Time Master somewhere/somewhen. He bequeaths the Waverider to Sara and the crew and can be visited when the need arises but otherwise is not a regular.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Wells is still on the Flash. He's a Wells from Earth 19 called HR. 

That's a different character played by the same actor, if I understand correctly. I loved E2 Wells and I was on the fence re: watching the show, but him being written out sealed the deal. I will watch the crossover though.

And really, new Cisco are Caitlyn are also new characters, esp. Caitlyn. I liked all three of them (guess I would have dropped the show way earlier otherwise), but Flashpoint took care of that.

5 hours ago, FurryFury said:

I dunno, at this point I expect for Rip to appear in 1/2 episodes, give Sara his blessings and then disappear for good. 

Or maybe I'm just too bitter over Santino Fontana leaving CEG (my currently favorite show featuring my favorite ship... well, not anymore, that is). At this point, I'm fed up with CW shows losing male characters I like. I hear even The Flash lost Wells (I don't watch it anymore, but I freaking love Wells). 

I think that's a possibility.  But it occurs to me that if the team continues carelessly blundering the way they have been, there may not be a timeline to save for much longer.  They've been very careless and it's consistent enough that I think it's intentional.  And probably going to bite them in the ass.

Whether or not there's a continuing place for Rip on the team after that may depend on how it plays out.  Right now, I think they've done a pretty good job of justifying a need for his presence.  They've also mentioned him or alluded to him in every episode, which seems to imply that they want us to notice his absence.

It does make me wonder about Nate though.  Because if Rip does come back, then Nate's skill set won't be useful anymore.  But then I'm not sure his was all that useful to begin with.  His expertise was useless in Shogun, and he only served to complicate the plot.  Sara would have done just as well with General Grant if Nate wasn't there at all.  He was moderately more useful in this episode, since he got the team to the 1980s.  But that was an adventure that basically got Eobard everything he wanted (an allegiance with Darhk), Darhk ends up with future knowledge of his fall, and the team possibly causing a bigger disruption in the timeline than they'd come to solve.

Nate's likable and played by a good actor, but he doesn't have a whole lot unique to him.  He acts like Ray.  His skill set is a less successful version of Rip/Gideon's.  And his powers have got to be expensive to render in CGI.  If Rip does come back, I'd be a little nervous about Nate's chances of staying with the team at the end of the season.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

He's still Harrison Wells, just from a different Earth. TC has played a different character every season so far. Apparently that was in his contact to appear on the show.

I don't really care about that. I just feel like I'm losing everybody, all over the place.

Edited by FurryFury
8 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

He's still Harrison Wells, just from a different Earth. TC has played a different character every season so far. Apparently that was in his contact to appear on the show.

That he plays a new character every year? Where was that said?

13 hours ago, FurryFury said:

Honestly, I don't expect much more than that but I can hope.  I think Rip has a unique voice so even if they kept Nate, he would work, but I just worry that the budget won't stretch for him if they can get away without him.  But maybe reoccurring?   

• Love 1

These comments from MG is why I doubt Rip will be brought back just to say good bye again:

What’s going on with Rip?
We’ve got a very cool plan with Rip that I can’t talk about without spoiling the season premiere. Suffice it to say, the season premiere is a big deal. I will say overall with Rip, one of the things we really wanted to do this year is play into Arthur’s natural comedic chops, and that was hard to do last year, because Rip was carrying the weight of a dead wife and a dead son, and his mission was a dark mission of vengeance. The goal this year is to give Rip the opportunity to have more fun, and be the swaggering, cocksure, former Time Master that we know he can be without the burden of either vengeance or grief.

• Love 1

I wonder if Rip actually has any interest in reclaiming the leadership role.  He might not.  For all that I've wondered about Sara's prior leadership experience, Rip likely has even less.  Everything we've seen of the Time Masters indicates that they're more solo operatives than team players.   Sara's got more control over the group than Rip has ever had, or even has ever seemed to want to have.  

He might enjoy playing the role of team veteran/mentor.  He'd still get to warn of dangers and guide them, but might get to have more fun if he gets to be one of the cats rather than try to herd them.

• Love 3