Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation: Running Hot & Cold

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Maybe someone who is more of a magician type (Zatana anyone?)

Zatanna would be awesome.  They might have to nerf her powers a bit, but I feel like she could work well with the team.  

Also, I feel like Dr. Fate needs to make an appearance at some point.  Not to join the team, or anything.  Probably just to briefly lecture and maybe grimace.  

I do kind of think that they ought to bring on another more morally ambiguous character, though I'm not really sure who they could pull.  I still think Huntress would have been cool, but I think don't think they're interested in bringing in any more characters from the other DCTV shows.  

• Love 2
On 4/4/2017 at 6:57 PM, Sakura12 said:

I hope they keep thinking that way. I'll take an episode, maybe two if I'm in a good mood, but no more. Keep her on Arrow. LoT only needs one Lance and it got the best one. 

They don't even have to keep her on Arrow. Keep her in the previously on segments as far as I am concerned.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, KirkB said:

As I recall, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, after season one of LoT it was revealed that the only reason Miller agreed to do Legends in the first place was if he could not be locked in a contract. He would do one season of LoT and then be a revolving character, available (schedule permitting) to Legends, Flash or even Arrow and Supergirl.

I remember that too. WM always seemed to be on board for only 1 full season of LoT and then anything after that was unknown & negotiable based upon his desires/availability. I think because DP & WM seemed to be a duo, there was speculation that DP would only last one season, especially with Prison Break being revived but the details limited at the the time. Now it appears that DP seems to be having fun as Mick, so I anticipate he will stay since the writers and fans love him.

Glad the Rip mystery has been resolved a little. I always imagine AD really enjoys doing multiple projects, so the LoT writers probably figure that they can move him in & out of the Legends story as his availability permits. I love Rip, I do want him on many episodes, but I really like the way they handled his absence & return in s2 - so I'm gonna trust the writers have a good plan for s3. No offense, the Legends are gonna need some help to restore the timeline, maybe it becomes critical that someone was in the Jump Ship. If everyone got stuck in the spin then who would rescue them? Frankly, I don't want Oliver Queen having to make another cameo to help them or bring another dull historian to help them and become a pseudo-legend by necessity. Let Rip come and help save the day - I know he already fits the team dynamic.

I liked the way most of the JSA was handled this season, if that is their plan with Kamandi that might be promising. It might also be a good way to have the Legends team up with someone to defeat the Dinosaurs, but be able to leave him behind easily at the end of the plot line/season like they did with some many other people in time. I really enjoy the idea of a Tarzan like character.

• Love 1
(edited)

Spoilers for next season:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/05/cw-announces-fall-2017-schedule.html

00-10:00 PM DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW

(@TheCW_Legends #LegendsofTomorrow)

After the defeat of Eobard Thawne and his equally nefarious Legion of Doom, the Legends face a new threat created by their actions at the end of last season. In revisiting a moment in time that they had already participated in, they have essentially fractured the timeline and created anachronisms – a scattering of people, animals, and objects all across time! Our team must find a way to return all the anachronisms to their original timelines before the time stream falls apart. But before our Legends can jump back into action, Rip Hunter (Arthur Darvill) and his newly established Time Bureau call their methods into question. With the Time Bureau effectively the new sheriffs in town, the Legends disband – until Mick Rory (Dominic Purcell) discovers one of them in the middle of his well-deserved vacation in Aruba. Seeing this as an opportunity to continue their time travelling heroics, Sara (Caity Lotz) wastes no time in getting the Legends back together. We reunite with billionaire inventor Ray Palmer (Brandon Routh), the unconventional historian-turned-superhero Nick Heywood (Nick Zano), and Professor Martin Stein (Victor Garber) and Jefferson “Jax” Jackson (Franz Drameh), who together form the meta-human Firestorm. Once reunited, the Legends will challenge the Time Bureau’s authority over the timeline and insist that however messy their methods may be, some problems are beyond the Bureau’s capabilities. Some problems can only be fixed by Legends. Based on the characters from DC, DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti (“Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Supergirl”), Marc Guggenheim (“Arrow,” “Trollhunters,” “Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters”), Andrew Kreisberg (“Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Eli Stone,” “Warehouse 13”), Phil Klemmer (“The Tomorrow People,” “Chuck”) and Sarah Schechter (“Arrow,” “The Flash”)

Edited by Proteus
  • Love 2

Fascinating!  I wonder what causes Rip's change of heart.  I mean, the Legends had done a number on time last season even before the end, so it isn't unwarranted.  But he had been all "there is nothing more I can teach you" when he left.

Sounds like fun though.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, squidprincess said:

Fascinating!  I wonder what causes Rip's change of heart.  I mean, the Legends had done a number on time last season even before the end, so it isn't unwarranted.  But he had been all "there is nothing more I can teach you" when he left.

Sounds like fun though.

I'm thrilled that Rip is mentioned as having a real role in next season. 

Reads like Rip got pissy that the legends didn't need him as captain and formed an entirely new Time Masters brigade that would listen to him so that he could be in charge again,  just saying. 

• Love 2

I'm just waiting to find out how many episodes they were picked up for.  13 with the possibility of more like last season (ended up getting 17)? I'd love to actually get a full season but with MP saying that they only want four superhero shows airing at any one time, Legends will probably end up being the one to be replaced by Black Lightning.

1 hour ago, Delphi said:

Reads like Rip got pissy that the legends didn't need him as captain and formed an entirely new Time Masters brigade that would listen to him so that he could be in charge again,  just saying. 

That isn't how it reads to me.  It sounds more like he recruited people who won't go trampling about killing historical figures and rewriting a daughter into existence.

It is kind of weird that he is doing this now, when he seemed so proud of them last season.  But maybe the premiere will clear that up.

So Rip will play a major part next season. Although is sudden turn on the Legends seems strange. He's the one that left and said he couldn't teach them anymore. What changed? 

• Love 1

Very interesting turn for Rip.  Looking forward to the new season.

No mention of Amaya so perhaps she is a one-season character herself.  I'm very interested in knowing who the new characters will be.

I wonder if Rip's turning point happens during the premiere itself.  Out of Time was a pretty big deal when it came to setting up the initial conflict of season 2.  So maybe this premiere will be the same way.

I admit, I've wondered about Amaya, because her whole "destiny can find me" scene happened right before they see the pretty massive consequences of careless time travel.  Perhaps she'll decide it isn't worth the risk and go home.  I'll be upset if that happens as Amaya is one of my favorite characters.

So does this mean that the whole "breaking time" thing is fixed in the first episode? I was hoping it'd take 2 or 3 at least. If it did, then that might be a good catalyst for Rip to change his mind. "Yes, I said I had nothing left to teach you, Sara, but I didn't actually think I'd have to walk you lot through rudimentary basics like DON'T BREAK THE BLOODY TIMELINE!!!"

(edited)
8 hours ago, squidprincess said:

But he had been all "there is nothing more I can teach you" when he left.

"There's nothing more I can teach you, because you're a pack of careless, undisciplined morons who apparently won't be satisfied until Nazis riding dinosaurs help the South win the Third Civil War."

I'm wondering about Amaya, too.  The biggest plus of the otherwise mildly tedious Nick/Amaya romance was that it provided a way/reason for Amaya to stick around.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 1

I'm also interested to see what changed Rip's mind.  Like, he was there and on board with the plan when they decided to go back to help their previous selves prevent Doomworld, although I don't know that this version of him knows that.  Plus, he said the whole "I have nothing left to teach you" thing after they'd done whatever broke the timeline (which was probably going back and interacting with their previous selves at all, but might have been trying to take off in the Waverider with both versions of themselves), so he probably didn't realize that they'd done that any more than they did, meaning that he's not in any better a position to fix it than they are.  Either way, it just seems like a dick move.

That is a relief about Amaya, but now it just seems weird and kinda shitty that they didn't include her in the press release, since they included everyone else.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't really see it as a dick move, because in a lot of ways, it seems pretty justified.  Almost every episode this season ended with some alteration of the timeline, often pretty major.  Lily Stein alone is probably a good indication about why these guys shouldn't be trusted with the timeline.  But it's really weird that he's apparently gone a complete 180.  I feel like there must be more to it than just the fact that he and the team broke time.  (I feel like he had to have known that was a possibility the moment he recruited them and realized he had no control at all over these people.)

It is weird that Amaya isn't mentioned at all.  But possibly that's because of her particular situation.  If the Time Bureau is going to be more interested in actually maintaining the timeline, then they're probably going to want to return her to 1942 while returning the others to 2017.  How and why she ends up reunited with the team will probably be a plot point in the episode/season.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 1
(edited)

Rip didn't recruit them to protect time. He recruited them to change time to save his family. He recruited them by breaking his own rules. They were taught by him that's ok to break the time travel rules if it's for your family, but not ok for anyone else's family. Rip must've learned from Barry.

He gave Sara the waverider and called her the Captain. Then he's suddenly going to be nevermind. They better make it make sense.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3
(edited)

He actually did recruit them to protect time in Legendary, after Savage's demise.  That is why they were still on the Waverider in season 2.  They were supposed to replace the time masters.

I could believe that Rip has decided that he had recruited the team (both times) due to his own compromised judgment, and that their mistakes are therefore his fault and his responsibility to fix.  That would make it harder for the team to reason with him actually than if he blamed them, because no one hates Rip Hunter like Rip Hunter.  

From the sound of it, Sara will likely succeed in having the team prove their worth though.  So it's really just a question about how they get to that point.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 2

I'm kinda liking the idea of Time Cops. Mick's just gonna *loooovve* them.

But bonus points to the show if the Time Fuzz activate that dormant chip in Mick's head and Chronos begins struggling for control of his mind.... Would Mick tell anyone? Would he trust his team? And would they ride or die for him, or argue they should put him down like a rabid dog?? After all, Mick's not the only one who doesn't remember the lessons of the Doomworld timeline....

Ooo, that is really an interesting idea!  I think it would depend on how much control Rip has over the Time Bureaucrats really.  I can't see Rip himself ever being willing to do such a thing, when the show has repeatedly shown us how distasteful he finds the Time Masters' mind control methods.  But if he's not the one in charge, or if there are Time Bureaucrats that are working in secret against him, then it would definitely be a workable idea.

I don't think there's any chance that the crew would put Mick down like a dog though.  They took him back after he was Chronos, after all.  And when he was infected by the zombie virus, they were focused on curing him, not killing him.   They don't remember that he betrayed them willingly in Fellowship or afterward, so they would have no reason to change their behavior toward him.  

(edited)

Didn't Stein remove the chip? That led to the funny scene of Stein performing brain surgery and Sara and Jax just walking away from them. Then they figured out Mick was still seeing Leonard after the chip was removed. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4
(edited)
18 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Rip didn't recruit them to protect time. He recruited them to change time to save his family. He recruited them by breaking his own rules. They were taught by him that's ok to break the time travel rules if it's for your family, but not ok for anyone else's family. Rip must've learned from Barry.

He gave Sara the waverider and called her the Captain. Then he's suddenly going to be nevermind. They better make it make sense.

Well, they have apparently reached the Barry Allen level of time breakage. He might conclude that it's time for the loose canons to step back, or at the very least, be a part of an organization that has some damn rules about what you can and cannot do. Remember Sara planning to drop in on the crucifixion? Does anybody think that would have ended without Mick Rory dying on the cross for our sins?

This Time Bureau is probably going to be made up of any surviving Time Masters who weren't in on the Vandal Savage plot. I'm also going to go out on a limb and speculate that the Waverider crew, after an episode or two of headbutting, will join up; perhaps as a special team that gets sent out when things get dire.

Edited by Lokiberry
On May 19, 2017 at 1:19 AM, squidprincess said:

Marc Guggenheim just confirmed on twitter that Amaya will be a member of the team in season 3, so that's a relief!

I'm a little suspicious over his answer. Yeah, she will be a team member when season 3 starts. But is it just until they are disbanded and then she's gone for good?

4 hours ago, Lokiberry said:

Remember Sara planning to drop in on the crucifixion? Does anybody think that would have ended without Mick Rory dying on the cross for our sins?

*snaps fingers* Finally we learn the identity of the thief who died on the cross next to Jesus!

That gave me a real laugh this morning, thank you.

I kinda don't want our Legends to end up as part of the Time Bureau though. I like them as the A-Team of time travel, and I think it provides more stories if the Time Bureau is a frenemy for them. (Although if Snart was alive, it'd be worth it for a few episodes just to see the look on his face when he realized Mick had essentially joined law enforcement.) 

Too bad about the chip in Mick's head. I'll just have to hope there's another one in there Martin missed - he's not a brain surgeon, after all.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

I kinda don't want our Legends to end up as part of the Time Bureau though. I like them as the A-Team of time travel, and I think it provides more stories if the Time Bureau is a frenemy for them. (Although if Snart was alive, it'd be worth it for a few episodes just to see the look on his face when he realized Mick had essentially joined law enforcement.) 

I'm the opposite, I think.  I'd much prefer the Legends end up part of the Time Bureau.  (Or at least associated with them in a way that makes them answerable for their more chaotic misfires.)  Mostly because I think that if the Legends stay frenemies, we'll have a repeat of season one's set up.  Basically the Legends wreaking havoc while the Time Bureau tries to chase them/hunt them down.  And honestly, I don't really see their motivation to do that.  It would be one thing if they were time traveling for fun, but if they're serious about wanting to stop aberrations and protect the timeline, then it doesn't make sense to be at cross purposes with the organization already doing that.

The interesting thing about the Legends being either part of the Time Bureau directly, or in some kind of freelancer/contractor manner means that for the first time ever, the Legends would have to actually answer to someone else.  It would be interesting to see how the Legends actually function when there is oversight and the possibility of real consequence on the table.  

In season one, they got swept up in an insane quest to stop a dictator.  In season two, they got recruited to protect the timeline, and while I think they did try to do that, it was pretty clear they had no idea what that actually entailed and, like Mick said, they often made things worse.  This set up will force them to examine exactly why they want to continue trying to protect the timeline, what exactly it means to them, and what they're willing to put up with to keep doing it.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 2

I do like what you propose here. And I don't want a repeat of Season 1 either. But I also like the "us against the world" vibe the team has so I hope they find a way to mark them apart. After all, the show is not called "Time Cops of Tomorrow."

(Although...wouldn't it be AWESOME if they changed the opening title to that? Just once?)

12 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

Finally we learn the identity of the thief who died on the cross next to Jesus!

Would Mick be the Good Thief, or the Bad Thief? :)

• Love 1

They'd be bickering so much about whose fault it was that they're in this mess, they'd get on Jesus's nerves and make him reconsider this whole "dying to save humanity" gambit. (The *real* Last Temptation of Christ....)

• Love 5
(edited)

New series regular cast:

http://tvline.com/2017/06/06/dcs-legends-of-tomorrow-casts-tala-ashe-zari-adrianna-tomaz-season-3-cw/

DC’s Legends of Tomorrow has filled Rip Hunter’s vacated seat aboard the Waverider with a new series regular.

Tala Ashe (Smash, As the World Turns) has joined the cast of the CW drama as Zari Adrianna Tomaz, a Muslim-American computer nerd with a wry, combative attitude who hails from the year 2030.

According to the character description, “Zari lives in a world of contradictions. Technology has brought about incredible change in her future — too bad human nature hasn’t kept pace. Fear, prejudice, and a lack of care for the planet have forced Zari to become a ‘grey hat hacktivist.'”

As Zari lives her double life, she has no idea that she possesses secret, latent powers derived from an ancient, mystical source. (In DC Comics lore, Adrianna Tomaz was an Egyptian who inherited special abilities via the Amulet of Isis and then became known as the superhero “Oh-Mighty-Isis)

Theres an accompanying video with CL within the link where MM mentions to her this character being cast and CL says she's talked to the producers about s3 and love interests for Sara.

Edited by Proteus
  • Love 2

The cast seems to be getting a little bloated. If Rip's staying, and Amaya's staying, and Nate's staying, and now adding someone else? I will not be a happy camper if I have to sacrifice Mick or Stein or Jax or Ray for yet ANOTHER character (I know Sara's a given for staying, so I'm not even worried about that).

Producers, you could dump Nate and I wouldn't squawk.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, squidprincess said:

Interesting!  I wish this didn't make me concerned for Amaya though.  I'm really hoping the show will buck the trend and actually let us have two women of color on the show at the same time.

I wouldn't have been concerned for Amaya, except this new character seems to be a duplicate of her character in a lot of ways.  Derives her powers from an ancient amulet, has super strength, speed, flight, etc.  

• Love 1

I've been concerned about Amaya since that press release. When the team disbands she is likely sent back to the 40s. It's possible once they reassemble they go and pick her up. But who knows. This new character does sound a lot like Amaya ability wise.

But, at the HVFF in London two weeks ago MRS (Amaya) was there and at her panel with Routh she sounded excited about season 3 and where her character is headed. I think she'd have known by then if she was being written off.

• Love 1

Amaya mixed with a bit of Felicity (sorry computer nerd hacktivist from these producers means inevitable comparisons). Hmm. Amaya wasn't in the press release but she was in the artwork for S3, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything if they wanted to avoid spoilers I guess. I think/hope she's staying but CL sat at cons before S3 talking about Sara's role in it and she was killed off in the premiere so who knows.

The cast might be getting bloated but if Rip is with the new Time Bureau they might be taking the antagonist spot for a few episodes before another Big Bad shows up and might mean less episodes/screentime for AD ala S2. Ray normally handles any tech stuff not done by Gideon but I don't think BR is leaving, maybe Stein as a lot of people have been speculating? I know nuclear physics and hacktivist aren't really overlapping specialties, but they are on TV sometimes.

Honestly, my first reaction before thinking about it was: "Awesome! Another female character to even out the dudebros. And another POC!"

She definitely sound like she has similar abilities as Amaya, and the less successful female writing rate in the Arrowverse makes this all questionable. However, Legends got their female characters right this past season (besides the the last couple of episodes with Amaya/Nate), much better than Arrow, The Flash, and parts of Supergirl season 2, so I have a bit more hope.

I do think they could really work well with Zari behind from 2030 in contrast to Amaya from the 1940s. I think Zari could be quite different with Amaya and either clash or be close friends. And if we can get them and Sara to work together, the show will really prove itself to be superior to the other shows. I mean, getting female characters to interact is a pain on The Flash and Arrow. 

Also, if they can have multiple archers on Arrow, multiple speedsters on Flash, and Nate/Ray basically being the same person with slightly different abilities, then why not have both Zari and Amaya?

The cast has always been quite bloated (right now, even with Zari joining the cast and even if Rip is still going to be around from time to time, it'll still equal the number of team members from season 1....well, parts of season one with Hawkman) but they've managed to balance out screen time relatively well the last two seasons, so I think they can still make it work.

But, please show, for the love of Sara, do NOT hook up Zari/Ray just because Zari's a hacker. If you hook her up with Sara or Jax, I could be ok with that. But I'd rather her not hook up with anyone on the team. We're already stuck with Amaya/Nate.

• Love 5

This is the first thing that's got me excited about the season! I've been convinced since the finale that AD wouldn't be a regular anymore,  and that opinion's been backed up by the fact that he's making appearances in UK during August at a convention in Wales, and in October at a show to promote his new album. Surely, if he was going to be a regular, he'd be in Vancouver filming then. I admit that I've been considering dropping the show because of it, and also general flarrowverse exhaustion, but bringing in Isis has really caught my attention.

When I was a little girl in the 70s she was my first female superhero. Before I ever heard of Wonder Woman, Batgirl, or Supergirl, there was Isis: strong, and brave, and standing up for what was right. I'm going to at least have to check out the first episode to see what they do with her. Here's hoping they don't screw it up.

Here's a link to an episode of The Secrets of Isis (because I can't seem to get you tube videos to embed anymore). Be advised that it's a cheesy 70s Saturday morning show, aimed at really little kids. But I loved it!

https://youtu.be/O2Zo3UiJkHs

• Love 3

AD might not be in every episode but that doesn't mean he won't be a regular anymore. Flash and Arrow have regulars that don't appear in every episode as well.

I too have wondered if Zari may be the love interest that Caity hints about in the video.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Lokiberry said:

When I was a little girl in the 70s she was my first female superhero. Before I ever heard of Wonder Woman, Batgirl, or Supergirl, there was Isis: strong, and brave, and standing up for what was right. I'm going to at least have to check out the first episode to see what they do with her. Here's hoping they don't screw it up.

This makes me feel more positively about the character - thanks!  I hope they get it right too.   

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Lokiberry said:

Oh zephyr winds which blow on high,

Lift me now so I can fly!

• Love 2

Thanks for that, well she's certainly going to be an interesting addition. Yeah Ray/Nate are similar people with slightly different areas of interest. Although in some episodes Nate actually snarked about high school studying like he didn't have a Phd, something Ray never does, so there's theoretically no reason why Amaya/Zari couldn't coexist at all. Except a lot of TV writers (many of the Flarrowverse writers included) have proved that they can always write in one more dudebro but find it difficult to write the same things for multiple female characters. I think a compare and contrast between 2 female characters born almost 100 years apart could be amazing but I'm a little sceptical that we'll ever get it, even though LOT was hands down the most improved DCTV show this season and did right by a lot of characters despite having a lot.

She might end up as Sara's LI for a while at least, it would certainly be more interesting than the speculation about Ray (purely because they're both "nerds"). I vastly prefer Ray when he isn't in a relationship, though I did like his little moment with Lily Stein. I was actually hoping she'd be recurring regularly regardless of VG involvement or not, but I suppose that's less likely now they have Zari.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Starfish35 said:
4 hours ago, squidprincess said:

Interesting!  I wish this didn't make me concerned for Amaya though.  I'm really hoping the show will buck the trend and actually let us have two women of color on the show at the same time.

I wouldn't have been concerned for Amaya, except this new character seems to be a duplicate of her character in a lot of ways.  Derives her powers from an ancient amulet, has super strength, speed, flight, etc.

If Hawkgirl were still around, the comparison would be even more apt: Ancient Egyptian, mystical powers, etc.

3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

If Hawkgirl were still around, the comparison would be even more apt: Ancient Egyptian, mystical powers, etc.

But she isn't a barista. ;)

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, benteen said:
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Well, then, no point in comparing them!

(edited)
10 hours ago, benteen said:

We don't know that.  Presumably they still have coffee in the future.

Meanwhile, I will note that IMDB has Maisie Richardson-Sellers (Amaya) as a regular through the full third season.

Edited by johntfs