Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Wild Wild West Coast, Part 2

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

The ALDC's last week in Los Angeles is busy with the girls juggling a competition with a music video shoot. Abby has a disagreement with the singer's manager and tries to shut down the shoot. Later, she decides to cut one dancer, which causes the moms to scramble to secure a position for their daughters.

So the whole "relocate to LA" thing was just a few weeks? That's anti-climactic.  And if Abby really wanted to win out there she'd stay there and work harder, not just run back to Pittsburgh.

I thought it was funny that Abby asked JoJo if she watched "Lucy and Ethel," JoJo says yes and starts talking about it enthusiastically, and Abby rolls her eyes all annoyed.  You just can't win with her.  Unless you are Maddie, then you can't lose.

So we're just gonna keep using the "music stopped" story line!?

Didn't they just do that a week or two ago?

• Like 1
  • Love 3

You notice how in the latest episode they have two girls who have a chance to get a spot on the team. Earlier in the episode Abbey was talking about how Nia and her mom might not still be members of the team, and the episode made a lot of fuss around how these new moms really wanted a spot on the team.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

The show conveniently adds two new dancers/moms to the mix and in the end of the episode who does Abbey get rid of? One of the girls who never really was part of the team anyways. It's a genius strategy. The teasers make you think Abbey is going to actually get rid of one of the dancers that have been around all season.

Now that I think of it, I'm sure they've pulled this technique before on a few other episodes.

That Lucy and Ethel makeup was very detailed. They can't actually think we believe the moms do that? A lady I know who's daughter competes says the girls usually do their own makeup but on this show it always looks professionally done.

Just finished watching this episode.  I'm glad that Holly and the other moms let their girls be in the music video and I think it's something that Jill will kick herself for later. Abby's main objective focuses on Maddie and MacKenzie only - not the other girls and as we saw - if they can't be in the spotlight then the other girls on the team have to suffer.

I thought it was weird last week that MacKenzie was in 3 routines plus the " music video" that never came to be. I like MacKenzie but she's not polished and I relly tink it's asking too much for her to remember all that - she's not Maddie - and no it doesn't show if she messed up but then the dances are edited so we'll never know. It would have been much better to have Kendall compete in both group dances.

I had to laugh when the other moms started in on Kira - Kalani stayng at Sarah's house all the time because Kira was with boyfriend - ah didn't we have a similar situation with Melissa and Greg. Her son not living with her - love to know the story on that as on Kira's Twitter acct - she mentions ax - but there's no pic of him - so is he still living elsewhere? Looking at Kira's Twitter acct. - she and Kalani now have the Kalani & Kira accessories for sale - blinged out cell phone covers ect.. and Kalani has her own Designer dance clothes line. Doesn't seem she's going anywhere and why keep saying the other girls want Kalani's position when Jojo was the last one to join the team?

During the group dance - the feather's on Nia's costume were falling all over the place. Remember when the big faux pas was if a part of your costume fell off or came loose? Too totally different tapings as when the girls finished - feathers all over the floor at their feet - cut to Abby - come back to the girls bowing and walking off - no feathers at their feet - a few on the floor in the background - how many tapings do they actually do?

Abby blaming the  mom's for the poor showing at the LA competition - she has only to look in the mirror. She was the one not there for them - she was the one that approved the choreography, she was the one who approved the video shoot - taking time away from practicing for the competition and then drawing it out with her demands. Abby needed to really pay attention to what the judges like in LA - instead of thinking that her girls and herself are the be all end all. Kalani and Sarah were beautiful and I can't believe that didn't place - but then again maybe it did and this was just for drama. - I don't understand how both duets were in the same age group - unless the taping was deceptive and it was the overall results.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This season's LA business has been so contrived. 

I would not have let my child dance in the Lady Marmalade numbers. Um, they are hookers. And dressed like hookers. No thank you.

I also hated the Lucy/Ethel black and white stuff- the makeup, the dress, everything. I guarantee you a poll of the audience asking "who are the representing" would not have been answered with Lucy and Ethel.

I wish Dance Moms would get cancelled so I wouldn't feel the need to hate watch anymore! haha!

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I also hated the Lucy/Ethel black and white stuff- the makeup, the dress, everything. I guarantee you a poll of the audience asking "who are the representing" would not have been answered with Lucy and Ethel.

I wish Dance Moms would get cancelled so I wouldn't feel the need to hate watch anymore! haha!

I didn't realize the make-up was supposed to represent "black and white TV" until their dance was half over.  They looked like ghouls, I kept thinking how morbid it looked, like were they supposed to be the ghosts of Lucy and Ethel?  White powder on their faces and varying shades of gray and white in their costumes would have worked fine - they didn't need those black streaks all over their faces.  JMO, though.  And yes, I believe they got some local makeup artists to help with that.

I don't have much to say about last night except all the adults SUCK, every single one of them.  Not a redeeming moment for any of them.  Holly might have sucked a little less, but she still puts Nia in awkward positions.  I thought for once I might get behind Melissa, but no, she doesn't stand up for herself or her kids!  "Oh, I just signed what's in front of me....I don't read words on paper" (paraphrasing, ofc).  Really?  If anything positive came out of the moms this week, it would be the visiting moms being honest about the video shoot.  Yes, it was a fun, little Youtube project and ultimately not a big deal.  

I really need to stop watching this dreck, though I did tune out for the last 15 minutes, so I missed the clown dance and the results.  Every time I hear the word "team" on the show, I mentally substitute "tv show" - the dialogue really makes more sense.  There's nothing special about this team and I hate the pretense that this reality show environment puts forth.  

Thank you, Jojo, for the only fun and real moments of this episode.  She was really cute recapping the "I Love Lucy" episode she saw, and I liked how she grabbed Nia's arm and said something like, "I don't want to be alone, let Abby hate us together!".  I'd like to see more of that side of her, though I did not see the end to see which girl got the boot, so maybe I won't see her again?

Maddie looked really dazed and confused for some reason.  Poor kid was on a whirlwind tour, I suppose.  

Edited by Shell76

I don't have much to say about last night except all the adults SUCK, every single one of them.  Not a redeeming moment for any of them.  Holly might have sucked a little less, but she still puts Nia in awkward positions.  I thought for once I might get behind Melissa, but no, she doesn't stand up for herself or her kids!  "Oh, I just signed what's in front of me....I don't read words on paper" (paraphrasing, ofc).  Really?  If anything positive came out of the moms this week, it would be the visiting moms being honest about the video shoot.  Yes, it was a fun, little Youtube project and ultimately not a big deal.  

Definitely. They are all awful. I used to have some respect for Holly but that withered away several seasons ago when it became clear she was all aboard the fame train no matter what the cost to Nia, just like the rest of the moms. So now I hate all of them. I was surprised, though, that Jill allowed Kendall to be pulled from the YouTube video. Not because she's awesome, but because she would see it as a chance to be noticed. 

So Kira is just as much as a stage mom as the rest. Kira looks like she's hated on by a lot of mom's at her studio in Arizona. As much as I don't care about these moms personal lives it's interesting that Kira sounds like another Melissa.

Those dances were awful!  I really hate how Abby goes so overboard with all the costumes/make-up/themes etc.  The whole thing is almost a mockery of dance.  Give them some simple, beautiful costumes where you can see their lines well.  Put their hair up, put on some appropriate make-up.  Not every dance needs to have an overtly cheesy in your face "story" or head to toe face-paint.  Ugh, Abby just seems to antiquated to me.  

• Love 7

See - I really enjoyed ( my j & h keys are sticky sorry! ) Kalani and Sarah's dance and I enjoyed the group dance - but I pictured the girls as they were rehearsing in soft pink costumes - and then they came out dressed like clowns - the clown costumes were cute - but I didn't see that dance going with them.

I also felt bad for Sarah. This was the second time Abby reeled her in to toss her back overboard. From her TH is seemed like she thought she had a second chance to be on the team, but I think it was Abby's idea all along to just have her fill in. The Moulin Rouge number - awful. People get upset that Pagent moms dress their kids up to look like adults and yet a few times a year - Abby either dresses these girls up or has them performing routines that are way too old for them as far as the storyline.

• Love 1

I suspect Jill let Kendall get pulled from the video because she didn't have a featured part.  If Kendall had at least been cast as one of the waitresses, I'm guessing Jill would have been more likely to let the child stay.  I don't like Holly and I think she's awful lately, but I'm glad she let Nia stay.  Nia wanted to do it and it was a fun little side project.  Let the child get something out of her trip to LA.

• Love 6

So we're just gonna keep using the "music stopped" story line!?

What bugged me about it is that none of the moms blamed Abby for the music not working.  As the dance team coach, It is her responsibility to provide a working copy of the music to the sound people at the competition.  If it was a mistake on the part of the sound people, they would have let them have a re-do.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I just don't understand how Abby doesn't factor herself into the team's "failure" at all. From her shoddy choreography to being completely absent to showing up hours late to the video shoot and then acting pissed that the moms had somehow screwed up when she had set it up. I

I felt bad for the girls getting pulled from the video--for once they were actually having fun. But it was probably for the best because "I just want to dance" (as performed by tone-deaf JoJo) has been hammering around in my head for many days.

Kalani really is a beautiful girl. Can't stand the mom.

• Love 2

Is it just me or does Nia looks really out of place now? Watching Nia with the other girls, she seems way out of place now, at least to me. She's grown so much and she's developed a woman's body. In the Moulin Rouge group number, I thought it looked a grown lady dancing with a bunch of little kids.

Edited by MoonWalker
  • Love 3

Actually, I think that both Kalani and Nia look out of place. I love them both and think Kalani is a beautiful young woman and a beautiful dancer and I love how much Nia has progressed through the years but they both look much older than the other girls. I guess it really wouldn't be much different if Paige, Brooke and Chloe were still there though as both Paige and Chloe had big growth spurts.

That's why I question how much longer Dance Moms will be on. It may be why Abby started the LA studio - to introduce us to a whole new groups of exceptional 7,8,9,10 yr old dancers. I remember back in the beginning - talking about how Cathy stuck Vivi in the dances with the older kids so that they would qualify to dance with the younger groups and that's what Abby is starting to do now. These girls are coming up to the next age division and are no longer that different as their peers have developed and are coming into their own

• Like 1

I also felt bad for Sarah. This was the second time Abby reeled her in to toss her back overboard. From her TH is seemed like she thought she had a second chance to be on.

I also felt really bad for Sarah.  I get the sense, from how others react to Sarah, that she is a really, really genuinely nice and humble kid.  It seemed that even Abby had a soft spot for her.  

I just don't understand how Abby doesn't factor herself into the team's "failure" at all. From her shoddy choreography to being completely absent to showing up hours late to the video shoot and then acting pissed that the moms had somehow screwed up when she had set it up. I

I felt bad for the girls getting pulled from the video--for once they were actually having fun. But it was probably for the best because "I just want to dance" (as performed by tone-deaf JoJo) has been hammering around in my head for many days.

Kalani really is a beautiful girl. Can't stand the mom.

It's so ridiculous.  Abby will say things like "the girls came to L.A and they failed"... well, Abby, you trained them, you choreographed their number, you chose their costumes and music... so you came to L.A and you failed.  She's really mentally sick that she can't see that.  When they win they do so because of her but when they fail... their fault.  

And I agree, Kalani really is quite a little beauty.  I was noticing her face both in the video shoot and in the end in that clown make-up - the camera just loves her.  

• Like 1

Actually, I think that both Kalani and Nia look out of place. I love them both and think Kalani is a beautiful young woman and a beautiful dancer and I love how much Nia has progressed through the years but they both look much older than the other girls. I guess it really wouldn't be much different if Paige, Brooke and Chloe were still there though as both Paige and Chloe had big growth spurts.

That's why I question how much longer Dance Moms will be on. It may be why Abby started the LA studio - to introduce us to a whole new groups of exceptional 7,8,9,10 yr old dancers. I remember back in the beginning - talking about how Cathy stuck Vivi in the dances with the older kids so that they would qualify to dance with the younger groups and that's what Abby is starting to do now. These girls are coming up to the next age division and are no longer that different as their peers have developed and are coming into their own

And who wants to see teenagers perform like that every week. It's an embarrassment.

How old is Nia now?? 13? 14?? Like she just does look old and in this weird, uncomfortable way. and espically right next to Mack. She's, like Chloe, grown a lot and you can tell. Shouldn't she and Kalani both be moving to the teen division anyway? They're getting older. (It's been years since I've danced so i don't really remember the age divisions, and i guess they change from place to place?)

Also, I don't get why they're leaving LA so soon. I mean wouldn't they want to keep working at it and training against better studios and getting the win? I think Abby is just ridiculous to be honest. I think they all danced beautifully, that clown number was unnecessary and those costumes oh my god. 

(I honestly don't think Abby is serious about "making changes" because let's be real. she threatens this every week.)

(also i feel like this stuff is leading Nia to leaving the ALDC as well and it is HIGH TIME)

I agree with all of you about Kalani.  She is turning into a real beauty and Kira may have to lock her in the basement pretty soon because  them boys are gonna come a calliing.  It was obvious that Kalani and Sarah really are close and love to dance together in spite of whatever real or staged nonsense goes on between their idiot mothers.  I thought that the two girls looked very good in their routine.  Jill is a moral coward who talks a good game where Abby is concerned but can't back it up with real actions.  Holly is right to put some distance between her and Jill and Melissa. Speaking of Melissa, it looks like she has one very pissed off pre-teen on her hands.  Mackenzie seemed to be very upset at being yanked out of the video.  Way to go Melissa. As usual, your younger child gets introduced to the wheels of the bus.  As far as Boss Hogg is concerned, regardless of what is real or staged, does this woman not realize how badly she comes off every week.  She is a vicious, manipulative, vindictive harpy whose primary mission in life seems to be to psychologically damage young girls as much as she can.  When Sarah's mom said that her daughter wanted  to be in ALDC because Abby is the bestest dance teacher in the whole wide world, I almost did a spit take.  In what galaxy is that a fact?

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 4

I think it was one of the most disgusting episodes yet so that's saying a lot.  They went to LA where Abby began saying something like she was making a studio in LA and they ended up renting space in a ballroom dance studio.  They didn't even do an LA competition.  They went to San Diego county to rather out of the way Fallbrook and didn't set the place on fire according to the televised results. I disliked most of the dances and Moulin Rouge should never have entered Abby's mind.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I love the show, and I think Abby is a hoot! The way the mothers behave is horrendously entertaining, and I like all the crazy drama.  The girls are very talented and it's enjoyable to watch them perform.  Dance Moms is one of my guilty pleasures.

I love it too.  I'm glad they brought in the trashy mothers from Arizona.  They're more interesting than the original mothers. I wonder which dancer is going to inherit her mother's huge ass?

I believe that Kalani's mother neglected her son so that she can be with Kalani 24/7.  Kalani was on another reality show before Dance Moms.  She was very advanced as a young child but now that she's 14 she talented, but not unusual.  And I would guess that she is not advanced in ballet or classical modern which is too bad.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
I didn't realize the make-up was supposed to represent "black and white TV" until their dance was half over.  They looked like ghouls, I kept thinking how morbid it looked, like were they supposed to be the ghosts of Lucy and Ethel?

I thought it was weird they didn't give Mackenzie (she was Lucy, right?) red hair.  Even if they were supposed to be black and white it shouldn't have been the same blondish color as JoJo.  I don't know why that bothered me so much.

I believe that Kalani's mother neglected her son so that she can be with Kalani 24/7.

That was my guess too, but I do think it was below the belt for the other mom to bring that up.  Does anyone know if the credit card fraud claim was true? 

• Love 1

I wish I could make myself quit watching this stupid show. I thought I would be able to stop once Chloe left. She was always my favorite. Abby is a horrendous excuse for a human being and her choreography quite simply sucks. I'm sick of this being "The Maddie Show" I have been around professional dancers my whole life and let me just say there is nothing special about Maddie. IMO her days as a dancer are numbered.

• Love 5

Did anyone else chuckle that they covered the rounded windows that are so recognizable from SYTYCD and DWTS at the 3rd Street Dance Studio?  What a bunch of baloney that Abby ever intended to open a studio in LA.

I agree that it looks really silly now that Nia and Kalani have both passed through puberty for them to be dancing on a small team with other girls that look so young, even if the age difference is only a year or two.  In a large group of 11-13 year olds it wouldn't be that remarkable, but in a small group it's really obvious and looks ridiculous.

• Love 3

I know a lot of this crap is staged, so sometimes I don't know what is worth commenting on or not.  Abby blaming the mothers for the failure in LA?  Yeah, okay.  The mothers may be crazy, but the failure might have something to do with Abby being MIA for part of the trip. 

Even that silly video thing.  Is it stupid of Melissa to sign something without reading it?  Of course.  But if you are their manager, then as their manager it was your job to get your ass to the video shoot on time to advise the girls/mothers how to proceed.  Showing up late and then getting mad that the mothers went ahead with what they thought they were supposed to go ahead with was dumb.  You were late.  You didn't do your job.

Also if I have to hear one more time about MackZ and how poor Mack is a legitimate recording artist with a following, I'm going to hurl.  She has her Dance Moms following and that's it.  If you go on youtube and look at the hit counts on her videos, they aren't even that high.  Stop pretending she's a pop star.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 7

(also i feel like this stuff is leading Nia to leaving the ALDC as well and it is HIGH TIME)

I agree that Nia needs to leave the ALDC, but I feel for her; she's danced there since she was 3 and now it's become a source of so much stress and dramatics. I went through a similar situation with my longtime dance studio when I was 16 and it was heartbreaking for me, dancing in a lil' podunk studio that didn't compete, so I can't imagine how Nia would feel if she left ALDC.

• Love 1

When I first started watching - I was amazed with how good both Maddie and Chloe were for their ages. It was really entertaining and I was hooked. Then I found forums and realized through others links that there were many exceptional young dancers out there. That takes nothing away from Maddie and Chloe but I questioned Maddie being good because she had natural talent vs. Abby's teaching methods.

I think both Maddie and Chloe did so well because their love of dance but other dancers have grown through leaps and bounds and are just as beautiful and could have careers in dance if they choose. I think Abby really soured Chloe's love of dance and that's why she was so down for a couple of season's. She's not Maddie but she should never of had to play second fiddle or compete for a go to girl spot when Maddie wasn't around. Abby's lucky Chloe didn't sue for depression ect..

• Like 1

That Ethel and Lucy makeup was horrible and ugly. If the music stops, they should be given the chance to restart their routine again.

Kalani and Nia are boring, be gone!

In general, i like Miss Abby, but i wish she'd take some of the blame when the girls fail.

Overall, probably the most boring Dance Moms episode i've ever watched.

I still love Maddie best.

That Ethel and Lucy makeup was horrible and ugly. If the music stops, they should be given the chance to restart their routine again.

Especially since this is a TV show and we know they do the routine more than once for the cameras. If the music stopping doesn't lead to drama, why make the viewers watch the music-less dance?

• Love 3

I just noticed this on the rerun tonight, but how come when they practiced moulin rouge mackenzie sat out? She was in the dance, but when they showed them at rehearsal they just showed Kendall, jojo, and Nia dancing and 'Mckenzie was sitting in the group with the girls in the clown dance. I would understand if they were practicing simultaneously, that she wouldn't always be there because she would be practicing, but she was in the room sitting on the floor... I just thought that was weird.

Especially since this is a TV show and we know they do the routine more than once for the cameras. If the music stopping doesn't lead to drama, why make the viewers watch the music-less dance?

It's the same lack of creativity that began killing Toddlers & Tiaras where every other episode someone was late whether they actually were or not.  Music stopping has become the go to filler or drama addition for Dance Moms.  

• Love 3