Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Rule #101: Know When It's Time to Move On

Honestly, he used to be really hot in an offbeat non-pretty-boy way.  Not so much now.  Noxon cast him when he hit the wall.  Ah, great casting, Noxon.  He really looks like shit.  And dressing him like a 17 year old high school boy just makes him look worse  

So I heard a rumor Janeane is gonna make an appearance on the "finally".  Me doubts it.  Doesn't seem like JG's style at all.  When she's gone, I suspect she stays gone.  But I have zero interest in watching this shit anymore so I'll depend on others to confirm.

• Love 3

Well, I started watching a marathon a few months back, caught two episodes, and was snowed in today and caught two more, thus I came back tonight for the final, one because I thought I was going to see the annoying ex husband go away. 

Gosh, why do we always have to see the WOMAN imploding her life?  She has a very mature younger man crazy about her, and an ex that treated her poorly, so OF COURSE she screws up things with the guy that has been patiently reassuring for the "safety" of what she knew before. 

Who didn't see the pregnant ex girlfriend coming?  Oddly, I like the other three women much better than the lead, but I like her as long as she is not in a scene with her ex. 

Would like to see the show, but if the ex and that drama is back for next season, then I am out. 

• Love 1

I am confused. Was this the finale? Instead of previews for next week, they had an ad to watch Season 1 on demand before Season 2 starts. It seemed kinda finale like but somehow I had thought there was one more episode.

I have never seen this Jake actor before so I have no clue what he used to look like. I will have to look him up on IMDB.

Also, ew on all the other pairings- Phoebe and Marco, Delia and creepy rich guy. Kind of grossed out by all of them.

• Love 2

I just started watching this show via re-runs and caught some of the marathon today.  Just finished watching the finale.  I'm surprised it gets such crappy ratings.  I liked it.

Can someone tell me what the deal with the hamburger phone was?  I saw Jo pull it out of a laundry basket and I have no reference for why she looked so perplexed.

• Love 1

This show is way too contrived. Each character is a stereotype a la Sex and the City but they made it fun and charming and not overly stupid with the right cast. It is so hard to get through an episode--it seems like a 3-hour bad movie--because ONLY DELIA is worth watching. 

• Love 1
I just started watching this show via re-runs and caught some of the marathon today.  Just finished watching the finale.  I'm surprised it gets such crappy ratings.  I liked it.

I can totally see why you liked the show, if you only watched a few eps.  I'm curious if your opinion will change if you watched every single ep as I had, until a week or so ago.  When a show completely makes no sense -- to the point of being painfully annoying, I just can't watch anymore.  And I suspect many other viewers felt the same as I have & that's the reason for the huge dropoff in ratings.  As has been mentioned many, many, many times in threads for past eps, the casting here is an enormous prob.  Warren Christie, who plays Abby's "young" bf, who's supposed to be so much younger than her & is supposed to be 28 in the show, is actually nearly 40 & looks older.  It throws everything off for me.

Other characters, like Jo or Phoebe or Delia have storylines that make no sense.  I just had enough.  But I'd really like to hear from anyone who does like this show cuz maybe there's something I'm missing.  I still think it's too bad cuz the idea for this show was a good one.  I'm hoping SJP's divorce show is better than this.

Can someone tell me what the deal with the hamburger phone was?  I saw Jo pull it out of a laundry basket and I have no reference for why she looked so perplexed.

It was a very expensive auction item she had donated for a school benefit (was a movie prop).  It went missing and turned up hidden in her daughter's stuff.  Her daughter had stolen it.

• Love 1

It was a very expensive auction item she had donated for a school benefit (was a movie prop).  It went missing and turned up hidden in her daughter's stuff.  Her daughter had stolen it.

Thank you!  I hope this show comes back next season.  Lots of loose ends that I think are worthy of getting tied up.

• Love 2

"Know When It's Time to Move On" is a pretty apt title, as in maybe it's time to move on from this show.

The only likable characters were Jo's daughter (who thanks to Mommy is wound so tight that when she farts only dogs can hear it) and Abby's house.

Depending on what else has my interest by then, I may check out Season 2 (as Casey Kasem infamously said, "Two?? Ponderous, man, fucking ponderous"), but OTOH this and sometimes Watch What Happens Live are about all I watch on Bravo, so unless I stumble across a commercial for it somewhere I'll probably forget about it.

In the immortal words of Carl Spackler, "In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, go-phere'."

I was about to watch this when I decided to check out the reaction here. Am I reading correctly that a significant portion of this episode is about a hamburger phone? Never has a title been more of a whap to the head of a viewer than this one. Fine, I get the hint. I'll watch the Daily Show instead. You know you. 

Edited by whack-a-mole
  • Love 1

Not just a hamburger phone. Abby also makes a major life changing decision without really thinking about it at all. And one of Abby's friends revealed she was a victim of some sort of underage prostitution ring. And they kept name dropping Joseph Gordon-Levitt. And in shocking turn of events, everyone seems medicated 100% of the time.

I saved myself a lot of hassle and just read a recap. Oh boy! At this point most of the relationships in this show make me feel slightly nauseous, not least of all this whole on/off Abby and Jake bullshit. He's hideous inside and out and I'd rather take relationship advice from Hugh Hefner than her. I'm sorry, but making such a weak-willed, indecisive idiot the main character is probably the biggest and most unforgiveable mistake the writers made when dreaming this mess up. I'm starting to feel bad for Lisa Edelstein now cos even though she's probably not good enough to be a lead, nobody deserves to have to carry this for more than one season.

Anyhow the ratings are shocking for a season finale. 788k and 0.33. There was no justification for that renewal other than Bravo saving face. It doesn't pull in big audiences and it won't win awards. Not even the fake ones like People's' Choice.

• Love 1

So this finale didn't even turn up on the top 100 cable shows of the night.  Yikers!  Ratings were 788 thou viewers.  So the average rating for the season in the 18-49 demo was 820 thou.  Wow, pretty crappy.  If this were any other Bravo show, it would be buh-bye.  Here's a sum-up of the piss poor ratings-

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/girlfriends-guide-to-divorce-season-one-ratings-35109/

Still think some heads are gonna roll at Bravo for renewing this dawg.

Btw, does anyone think there's even a remote chance the show could get better?  So many shows that were awful in their first season improved tremendously.  I could even say that bout Sex and the City.  My feeling is there's just too much terrible going on here, they shoulda put this thing outta its (and our) misery.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 3

Noxon has to go for this to get better IMO, and there probably has to be some cast changes. I'd sideline Abby a little and move Delia front and center. Personally I think there's too much wrong with it for it to turn into a genuinely good show though, and it's obvious that they have no idea where they want to take it. I think the problem is that there was only really enough decent material for a movie here, and not however many hours of TV they manage to spin out of it. It already feels like one of those shows that's been on for 6 seasons and they've resorted to reading bad fanfiction for ideas.

I was about to watch this when I decided to check out the reaction here. Am I reading correctly that a significant portion of this episode is about a hamburger phone? Never has a title been more of a whap to the head of a viewer than this one. Fine, I get the hint. I'll watch the Daily Show instead. You know you.

No, the hamburger phone was in a previous episode. Someone who had just seen that episode was asking about it. In this episode Abby and Jake sign their divorce papers and hook up.

No, the hamburger phone was in a previous episode. Someone who had just seen that episode was asking about it. In this episode Abby and Jake sign their divorce papers and hook up.

Thanks. Through no fault of your own, that sounds no better. I'll save my eyes from having to see that. I'm sure there are plenty of kittens on youtube to keep me entertained if I get desperate. 

So this finale didn't even turn up on the top 100 cable shows of the night.  Yikers!  Ratings were 788 thou viewers.  So the average rating for the season in the 18-49 demo was 820 thou.  Wow, pretty crappy.  If this were any other Bravo show, it would be buh-bye.  Here's a sum-up of the piss poor ratings-

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/girlfriends-guide-to-divorce-season-one-ratings-35109/

Still think some heads are gonna roll at Bravo for renewing this dawg.

Btw, does anyone think there's even a remote chance the show could get better?  So many shows that were awful in their first season improved tremendously.  I could even say that bout Sex and the City.  My feeling is there's just too much terrible going on here, they shoulda put this thing outta its (and our) misery.

Interesting question. Usually, if a show has a good protagonist and people care about her story (which IMO this show does) that's the sign it can improve. This is a tougher case IMO because everything else about the show is so terrible. Also, the critical raves are actually a hindrance. Given how often they promote "catching up" on the show, they clearly think they have something and this is some kind of marketing failure. So why change? Also, half the audience seems to think the show's too superficial, the other half seems to think it's not superficial enough. That's hard to fix.

Yeah, and then there have been these strangely over-the-top super-positive recaps from EW, where their writer just goes bananas about this show.  It's puzzling to me.  When I read her recaps I feel like we're watching 2 different shows.  Is Noxon or her peeps paying her?  Is this writer looking to trade favors with Noxon or Bravo.  I doubt it, but I don't get it -- at all.  

Sheesh, it almost seems to me this writer has been ordered by her editor to write effusive, ONLY positive things bout this show or she's doing it on her own for whatever her reasons.  Could she possibly be legitimately so crazy in luv with this show?  Really?  But even she mentions the show has a ton of problems with casting & writing & yet she continues to luv it to pieces.  Here's her recap on the finale.  I'm still not gettin' this woman going so nuts about the show, but it does make me very suspect on the legitimacy of EW -- when I hadn't especially been before.

http://www.ew.com/recap/girlfriends-guide-to-divorce-season-1-finale

• Love 1

The very odd thing about those EW recaps is that the first two were quite harsh, and then I think they changed the person writing them and the whole tone shifted after that. Shady business!

I noticed that the show stopped getting much press at all about mid-way through the season, especially from the bigger websites like Hollywood Reporter, TVLine etc. I guess it doesn't bring in the page hits. If they really think that the PR campaign has been the problem with this show then I'm expecting lots of issues with their scripted venture in general. I just don't think they understand the difference between what people expect from reality and what they demand from drama yet. In fact, I said early on that the show's writers have no idea what they want this to be. I think they just ticked a load of boxes they thought their demo would like and expected it to be a hit.

BTW since when did dramedy = underage prostitution ring?

I didn't even realize the former model had kids until the episode where she pulled them out of class when her nemesis was taking photos. She just bugs me, and it looks like she has teeth missing in back, something weird going on there.

All these women are more attractive than the men they are with, I don't think it would be that hard to find a few handsome middle aged actors.

You need somebody to root for in a show, and frankly even after watching all the episodes I really don't care about any of them.

• Love 2

Things that flop like a dead fish don't tend to get much press unless it's paid or some kind of favor. Somebody at EW is either banging somebody related to the show or getting some sort of payoff. Nobody likes this mess that much without getting either a trip to o town or some cold, hard cash.

All these women are more attractive than the men they are with, I don't think it would be that hard to find a few handsome middle aged actors.

Yeah, I think you bring up a great point.  They may have been limited on budget, but it doesn't excuse why they cast such overwhelmingly unattractive actors.  It's not like any of 'em are any good, to make up for their unattractiveness.  Sheesh, but we know the ole Hollywood double standard & that it would never be tolerated with women.  There's a ton of good looking middle aged actors who are talented that would have been a great fit for the show.  Given Paul Adelstein's career has not exactly gone the same as Brad Pitt's. I suspect they got him for a few nickels & some dimes & he was happy to get the part.  Actually, Warren Christie is an attractive guy (at least on the rare occasion someone pins him down & shaves him).  And apparently dopey Noxon wants to continue using him-

http://www.accesshollywood.com/girlfriends-guide-to-divorce-ep-marti-noxon-on-abby-will-and-jake_article_104700

Wonder if everyone on the show is still gonna go nuts about how young he is when Warren actually does turn 40 later this year.  Ah, but I'm sure this EW writer will somehow make excuses for it, and say that it doesn't matter whether the show makes no sense, and that we should all just go with it.  Sure, hun.  I'll do that if you share your payola with me.

The very odd thing about those EW recaps is that the first two were quite harsh, and then I think they changed the person writing them and the whole tone shifted after that. Shady business!

Just checked those EW recaps & you're absolutely correct.  Great catch!  The first 2 recaps were written by 2 different writers -- who both said the characters were all unlikeable.  Then another writer took over & from then on, she ONLY wrote effusive, extremely positive recaps, pouring out ONLY luv, luv, luv for this show.  Honestly, her recaps are really strange.  They come from a place where she's a loony super fan of this show.  Er, huh?  OK, one person here said they like the show, so I guess others do too & that's fine.  But I question how anyone can possibly be a super fan of this awful mess.

Anyhoo, the writer at EW who took over the recaps seemed to be trying to enforce a positive spin immediately by negating what was said by the ones before her (while being very careful not to quote them directly).  She said the characters were sympathetic & this was ultimately more important than whether or not they might be unlikeable.  OK then.  Not convincing me, anonymous EW writer.  Not at all.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the brother,  Well, he is pretty forgettable.  And his charmless unattractive husband, who he has absolutely zero (sexual, friendship or any kind of) chemistry with, is even more forgettable.  Anything in the finale about them?

• Love 1

In this episode Abby and Jake sign their divorce papers and hook up.

They already hooked up several eppy's ago. How boring. Just get back together already. Was it ever really clearly explained why they were divorcing? 

I really don't like Lisa Edelstein as Abby. Poor casting is one of the downfalls of this show. No wonder Jeanene G. hauled ass. 

• Love 1

They already hooked up several eppy's ago. How boring. Just get back together already. Was it ever really clearly explained why they were divorcing?.

That's further proof that this show has nowhere to go. Either they get back together or they don't. Can you really maintain that for 5 or 6 seasons (the horror!)? I already don't care. I think they decided to divorce because he was already seeing someone else, and she was having 'emotional affairs'.

So where exactly do they go from here? I can't imagine the show maintaining the same budget. That rules out casting hot guys who can actually act.

Edited by Crazy8
  • Love 1

I think what broke it for me was the arrival of Abby's godawful anal expulsive club kid friend from New York, who I think is supposed to be injecting a little life-affirming vulgarity into Abby's repressed life. Before she showed up, I thought maybe Abby became a doormat with horrible judgment about people over years of living with her useless husband and awful kids. But, no, that turns out to be pretty much her model for intimacy.

I read that EW review. I can only think they can redeem that for priority access to the next Housewife who flames out.

Edited by Julia

They already hooked up several eppy's ago. How boring. Just get back together already. Was it ever really clearly explained why they were divorcing? 

Back when this began, he was schtupping a CW actress half his age and seemed to think that relationship was going somewhere. It was one of the more plausible plots the show had going, so of course they bailed on it pretty quickly.

• Love 1

Not even Janeane Garofalo, my hero, could get me past the second episode.  It was just painful.

But I woke up recently when the next-to-last episode was playing at 2a.m. and it was good enough for me to program the finale.  So I guess it did get better, but I think it's funny that the middle 2/3's of the season was irrelevant--as in, I didn't have any trouble following the storylines. Smile.

P.S>I can't recall if shoplifter kid's mother was in the first two episodes, but the smackdown she got from the therapist was extremely enjoyable.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not even Janeane Garofalo, my hero, could get me past the second episode.  It was just painful.

But I woke up recently when the next-to-last episode was playing at 2a.m. and it was good enough for me to program the finale.  So I guess it did get better, but I think it's funny that the middle 2/3's of the season was irrelevant--as in, I didn't have any trouble following the storylines. Smile.

P.S>I can't recall if shoplifter kid's mother was in the first two episodes, but the smackdown she got from the therapist was extremely enjoyable.

Shoplifter kid's mom is Jo, the club kid friend from New York. Abby actually _apologized_ for calling Jo irresponsible when she came home to find Jo having sex with a pick up on the living room couch of Abby's house with her children sleeping upstairs because Jo didn't want to do it where _her_ kid might walk in on it. I think she's supposed to be Abby's id. 

Jo is an awful, awful character, and the actress who plays her is already pimping her role in next season. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I think she's supposed to be Abby's id.

I'm taking this literally and running with it. In Season 5 you'll discover that Abby has been in an institution for years, and all the girlfriends are actually different aspects of her psyche. Jake is her psychologist and Carrie Fisher just dropped in for a charity event one time. There. I've improved the show 3000%.

On a more serious note, I feel pre-emptively sorry for the people who actually enjoy this show because there's bound to come a time when Noxon pulls the rug from under them. The more I read about her, the more relieved I am that I'm not invested.

• Love 2

Shoplifter kid's mom is Jo, the club kid friend from New York. Abby actually _apologized_ for calling Jo irresponsible when she came home to find Jo having sex with a pick up on the living room couch of Abby's house with her children sleeping upstairs because Jo didn't want to do it where _her_ kid might walk in on it. I think she's supposed to be Abby's id. 

Jo is an awful, awful character, and the actress who plays her is already pimping her role in next season. 

Well, there ya go.  It wasn't hard to despise her simply on the basis of being a self-centered snotty bitch-victim in her daughter's therapy session, even without the attractive background details from the middle episodes.  : )

I get the feeling this show wants to be about the women changing and evolving, but epic fail because they're all exactly the same as they were.  Abby's still insisting on her delusional viewpoint in a really loud voice and then experiencing a personal revelation two scenes later.

That's pretty interesting about Jo being Abby's id.  Are there ego and superego characters?  I'm going to give the showrunners some serious extra credit if they've got all that going on.

(edited)

That's pretty interesting about Jo being Abby's id.  Are there ego and superego characters?  I'm going to give the showrunners some serious extra credit if they've got all that going on.

I actually think Marco, Phoebe's new flame, would be a pretty decent superego. I suspect, though, that Abby is the ego and her laundry list of facile pronouncements about Life (which have taken her to where she is today - a celebrity who's utterly incompetent at what she's famous for) are what she's chosen to have instead of a superego.

Which is kind of a shame, because it was a pretty good series of books, but LIsa Edelstein has made it pretty clear in interviews that this character is not Vicki Iovine. OTOH, Marti Noxon has been talking an awful lot about her own divorce...

Edited by Julia
I think what broke it for me was the arrival of Abby's godawful anal expulsive club kid friend from New York, who I think is supposed to be injecting a little life-affirming vulgarity into Abby's repressed life.

OK, so here's yet another thing that baffles me.  Is Jo supposed to be the about the same age as Abby?  I thought there were references on this, but maybe I'm wrong?  Cuz the actress who plays Jo is 9 years younger than Lisa & she looks significantly younger than her.  I don't get this.

• Love 2
(edited)

They were supposed to be college roommates. There was conversation about the two of them hanging out on the LES before it was gentrified back in the day. That part, I think, is drawn from Lisa Edelstein, who was club kid royalty herself back when she was at NYU.

Edited by Julia

They were supposed to be college roommates. There was conversation about the two of them hanging out on the LES before it was gentrified back in tHE DAY. That part, I thinkk, is drawn from Lisa Edelstein,, who was club kid royalty herself back when she was at NYU.

Is it just me or does that demonstrate a complete lack of imagination? Especially as Noxon is unashamedly basing a lot of the show on her own divorce as well.

The casting is universally crap. There isn't one character where they absolutely got it right, and Lisa really isn't lead material IMO. She constantly has to bounce off other actors and doesn't have the screen presence to generate the kind of magic that good leads do all on her own. She's not awful, just not that great. I do wonder if a lot of the cast were chosen because of budget constraints, or if Noxon is (stupidly) giving jobs to friends. I really can't imagine the show with the same cast if it had stayed at Showtime.

• Love 2

I think if they'd taken it in a direction where she had to reassess her life and realize that she's been coasting, she doesn't really have the answers, and that she surrounds herself with people who are living in their own house of cards, it would be really interesting. A bunch of damaged people limping along holding each other up - that's practically life, right there. Only it seems as if everyone involved has been living amongst rich folks in southern California too long, because they seem to be telling us that these are awesome women worth taking guidance from.

I'm particularly disgusted, though, with the way they wrote Janeane Garofalo's character out. Lyla's in the middle of a toxic divorce, she's been working a jillion hours to support a bigass house and a husband staying home with the kids, her stay at home husband is trying to take away her kids because she's never home, she's facing alimony and child support, and her associate makes a naked play for her biggest client. She chooses to keep the client, she loses the kids, and what do her stalwart friends (because you always have your friends) do? They decide that Delia, the associate who fucked Lyla over, is the most awesomesauce thing ever, and choose her over Lyla. Who they then read a revoltingly self-righteous lecture about the not-awesomeness of being an angry person.

It comes as no surprise at all that someone who worked closely with Joss Whedon came up with this nonsense. All hail the awful people. Let's make TV about them.

• Love 1
(edited)
They were supposed to be college roommates.

I thought I heard this.  They constantly made a big deal on the show how Abby & Jo are contemporaries & have a long history together, don't they?  And yet the actresses are 9 years apart in age.  A very big discrepancy, eh?  Lisa is 48, soon to be 49, while Alanna Ubach, who plays Jo, is 39.  If they were only a few years apart in age I would not have noticed.  After all, Lisa is young looking, but still, she & Alanna look to be obviously of different generations.  Oy, so this is yet another example of this show's horrible miscasting.

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but it is similar to the blaring miscasting of the nearly 40 year old Warren Christie as a 28 year old.  Especially when it's constantly thrown in viewers' faces how liberating it's supposed to be for Abby to be with a much younger guy in his 20's -- er, except he's played by an actor who is 40.  Why not cast someone who was 80 in the part, Noxon?  And why not cast someone who is 20 in the part of 47 year old Abby's contemporary friend?

Actually, I don't remember seeing a show that has been so terribly miscast.  And with actors who don't physically fit their parts (as scripted) or actors who have little charm or presence or who just aren't especially talented enough to have a leading part on national TV.  I guess the miscasting could be played for laughs -- except there's nothing funny here.  In fact, there's nothing here that would get me to start watching again.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1
They decide that Delia, the associate who fucked Lyla over, is the most awesomesauce thing ever, and choose her over Lyla. Who they then read a revoltingly self-righteous lecture about the not-awesomeness of being an angry person.

I forgot about that.  Wow, that totally made no sense.  Delia was a completely loathsome character when first introduced.  And cuz Janeane abruptly walked out, they badly needed another character quickly, so they musta done done a hasty re-write on Delia, which (of course) made absolutely no sense.

Janeane made the right choice to step outta this quickly.  Sheesh, everyone in Hollywood must know by now to stay far away from Noxon.  Guess only those desperate for work will go near her.

(edited)

...Lisa Edelstein, who was club kid royalty herself back when she was at NYU.

I'm so un-hip, I don't even know what that means!

Edited by Lovecat
(edited)

I can help cuz I remember being a young teen & hearing bout her & thinking she sounded so glam & fab & exciting.  In 1986, she was 19, a student at NYU & known as Lisa E & she was dubbed by media back then as the queen of nightlife in NYC -- a sorta version of Edie Sedgewick, 20 years later.  Guess she could have flamed out quickly & succumbed to drugs, booze, bad choices or become a suburban soccer mom or gone into some career where she'd draw less attention.  Interesting that she was able to forge a fairly successfully acting career from her beginnings as a "club kid" 30 years ago.

Is Jo supposed to a reflection of Lisa E, that club kid from 1985 or '86?

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 2

I used to dip in and out of House when there was nothing else on, and I remember reading or seeing an interview where Lisa said she'd always got roles through people she knew rather than auditioning. Her 'Club Kid' days must have served her pretty well.

Kinda bummed that this show has made me find her irritating though. Never had a problem with her before.

• Love 1

I am Lisa E's age and I do not know what a "Club Kid" is either.  I'm so not cool. My best friend went to NYU in 1989, too.  I watched the video and it reminded how we(80's kids) thought we were soooo awesome but I guess all late teens/twenty-somethings think the same thing no matter what year/decade they are in. lol  I did just see her on the Seinfeld episode where she was dating George.  She looks better with a few more lbs.  I think she is way too thin now. 

No reason to remember any of them, except for this-

http://nypost.com/2014/05/12/party-monster-relives-catfight-that-ended-in-murder/

I suspect this pretty much ended that era & rendered nostalgia for them serving absolutely no purpose.  So to have Jo's character held up as an ode & a reminder to these people is even more ridiculous.  And especially since Alanna Ubach is a decade too young to have been a part of this crew.  Ah, thanks for continuing the senseless writing & shitty miscasting, Noxon.

1      I think if they'd taken it in a direction where she had to reassess her life and realize that she's been coasting, she doesn't really have the answers, and that she surrounds herself with people who are living in their own house of cards, it would be really interesting. A bunch of damaged people limping along holding each other up - that's practically life, right there.

2     Lyla's in the middle of a toxic divorce, she's been working a jillion hours to support a bigass house and a husband staying home with the kids, her stay at home husband is trying to take away her kids because she's never home, she's facing alimony and child support, and her associate makes a naked play for her biggest client. She chooses to keep the client, she loses the kids....

3.  It comes as no surprise at all that someone who worked closely with Joss Whedon came up  with this nonsense. All hail the awful people. Let's make TV about them.

1.  Excellent.  I want to watch that show.

2.  And again, this would be a story I'd watch.  Too bad, because JG has the chops to have pulled it off.

3.  Uh-oh, disconnect.  I like Buffy better than that.  But as someone who only plowed through Tolkien to seduce her high school crush object, what do I know from fantasy?  

4.  I'm ten years younger than Edie Sedgwick and ten years older than Lisa E, so those '80's clubkids were just stupid poseurs to me. 

: )

5.  I forgot about the book series.  I wonder how the author feels about this shitshow.  I'd like to think she and Garofalo snuggle under cashmere throws, knock back tequila shots and make hysterical snarky comments while they watch it together.

• Love 2

I think Vicki Lovine is a producer on this show. In name at least. Any horror at how they're destroying her brand is probably tempered by the paychecks.

I'm a little too young to remember much about the Club Kids, but they were just a bunch of spoiled rich kids who benefited nobody but themselves. Like Pre-Kardashians, but worse in a way.

• Love 1

I can help cuz I remember being a young teen & hearing bout her & thinking she sounded so glam & fab & exciting.  In 1986, she was 19, a student at NYU & known as Lisa E & she was dubbed by media back then as the queen of nightlife in NYC -- a sorta version of Edie Sedgewick, 20 years later.  Guess she could have flamed out quickly & succumbed to drugs, booze, bad choices or become a suburban soccer mom or gone into some career where she'd draw less attention.  Interesting that she was able to forge a fairly successfully acting career from her beginnings as a "club kid" 30 years ago.

Is Jo supposed to a reflection of Lisa E, that club kid from 1985 or '86?

I think I had that same stupid looking white mini skirt Lisa is wearing in the video.  I am about the same age and remember hanging out in the NYC club scene at that time.  I was no Club Kid though.