Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Rule #101: Know When It's Time to Move On

I think I had that same stupid looking white mini skirt Lisa is wearing in the video.  I am about the same age and remember hanging out in the NYC club scene at that time.  I was no Club Kid though.

Oh, momof2boyz, you were hanging out in NYC clubs, rocking that white mini on your sweet underage self?  Clubkid!  Own it, girlfriend--you'll appreciate that resume' bullet point when the boyz grow up and move out and the arthritis kicks in.

I'm a little bit late to the party, but I have to say I really liked this show. Sure, it had its problems. There was a LOT more suspension of disbelief than I like in a more grounded show (as opposed to something sci fi, eg).  Unless CA's laws are way different from mine, child support doesn't work that way. If the kids lived with Abby, she wouldn't be paying Jake a penny in child support. Alimony? Sure, I can buy that, but if the kids live with her almost all the time, there's no reason to pay him support for something he's not doing.  And if she suddenly made less money and he made much more? Courts are supposed to take that into account in the support calculators and you can always file for changes, or mutually agree on alternate plan.

The age of characters vs actors thing bothered me, as did Phoebe's constant calling of women "mama."  I hate that IRL. I had a supervisor that did that to me and it took all my self-control at times not to slap her and say "Bitch, you're older than me. STFU I am not your mama."  It's so infantile and it's nails on a chalkboard to me. 

But overall, if I just let a lot of that stuff go, I enjoyed it.  It wasn't deep. It wasn't meaningful. It did not reflect my divorce AT ALL. But I didn't feel constantly insulted by the show and I laughed a lot.  I'm not eagerly awaiting S2, but I am glad there is going to be one. I watch a lot of heavy stuff, serious stuff, or comedies that are cerebral. It's nice to occasionally turn my brain off for a show like this.

• Love 3

Maybe S2 will improve.  I'm too turned off to continue watching this crapola.  The miscasting & senseless writing & mostly unappealing cast was too much for me.  But please post if you continue to watch.  I'll read the posts on here, but as of now, I'll pass on watching this shitty show again.

I am a teeny bit curious if the ratings improve.  While they weren't horrible, any other Bravo show, with ratings consistently well under a million viewers, seldom get renewed.  But this one did, probably because the Bravo execs so badly want this to succeed -- as it is their first scripted show (or at least one they admit to being fully scripted).  Throwing it on after BH Housewives didn't really help much to improve ratings.

Bravo execs seem to have saved Millionaire Matchmaker by throwing it on after Atlanta Housewives.  Maybe they need to do the same for this one too.  Or the producer of this thing, Marni Noxon, could make desperately needed improvements to the show.  I don't think that's gonna happen.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs

I don't even know why I'm posting this since pretty much everyone hates this show but...I like it. It's fluffy, pretty, waste of time tv. I liked Jeanene Garofolo's character but having her just take off to Portland with her ex-husband was just dumb. I didn't think I would like the character they created to replace her but I've always enjoyed that actress and I do like the character of Jo. I think she's hilarious and her daughter being so opposite to her is fun to watch. I totally agree about Jake-the dude looks like shit. I like Delia, I can't believe she's only 33. I don't mind Will being 40 in real life, he looks young to me so sure I'll buy that he's 28. I actually thought the baby jewelry idea was a good idea, I'm sure there are actual companies that sell that stuff that make a ton of money in places like LA. The brother storyline was one too many for me. It was enough to keep up with all the women and kids on the show, they just kind of stuck the guys in here and there and they never really felt like part of the show. But overall, I like the show and I'd recommend it to friends.

Having said all that, if they didn't make a season 2 I'd understand. As much as I liked the show I don't care to see 13 episodes of Jake hiding his love child while lying to Abby.

I'm also a little late to this party as I just binged on Netflix.

I must say, this is a very strange one for me as I did NOT like the characters at all. I especially hated Jo and they way she kept kissing that child. I thought it was plain weird. And that little boy needed two good slaps with that behaviour. And her daughter really was no better. I really didn't like a single character but I couldn't stop watching! Every time an episode ended, I found myself hitting "NEXT". WTF?!?!?! I think I kept watching to try to figure out what is so wrong with it. But 13 episodes later and I still don't know. Funnily enough, Phoebe's character grew on me. Didn't like her. Just didn't dislike her.

Will probably watch season 2 when it's on netflix. I think this show makes for great background noise when cleaning

• Love 1