Type keyword(s) to search

The Royals In The Media: Paparazzi Not Allowed!

That was kind of interesting. Elizabeth is so modest. The rest, not so interesting. So, are Alexandra Park and the guy who plays Jasper an item IRL? That's the impression I was left with, but they were pretty cagey about it.

• Love 1

A whole lot of people have left the cast this season. I found this article that lists which ones and why. Thank god for this article, I was going nuts trying to figure out which character went where.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1

Season 3 premieres December 4th, 2016.

The link includes some details about the season and a few stills. Nothing too spoiler-y, if you're avoiding that. I hope they replay S2 ahead of the premiere because I've forgotten a lot of what happened!

Lots of casting news, too (almost all of the sources include the part I spoiler-tagged, so don't click through if you're avoiding it):

Toby Sandeman as Sebastian, a Moroccan prince (source); Damian Hurley (Elizabeth Hurley's son) as Prince Hansel von Liechtenstein (source) ; Genevieve Gaunt (Wilhelmina/Willow) has been upgraded to a series regular; Jules Knight as Spencer Hoenigsberg, the new Lord Chamberlain to the Queen of England (source); and

Spoiler

Max Brown as Prince Robert. (I know the S2 finale teased that he was alive but spoiler-tagging just in case.)

• Love 3

I have no faith in this team of writers.  Hopefully they won't kill Robert in the last episode so Max Brown will have a job for a little while longer.  I don't think I can stand to see the propping of Liam in another season and Eleanor being useless and needing a sandwich.   I can come back for Sebastian, Hill (?) and Cyrus if he goes back to the Cyrus of old, other than that they all bore me. I'm sure Sebastian is the next one they will ruin, remember Jasper the frustrated private eye was investigating him.  I don't know, they may be able to make Willow interesting....oh I forgot she wants Liam. 

• Love 1

Welp - they got renewed?  Shocked.  Pretty sure that means Robert will be a full on villain for Liam to "overcome" in Season 2 - that just sucks... Ugh - I love Max Brown so I will feel forced to watch - but I really can't stand Liam.  I hope they don't kill off Cyrus.

I don't think I can make it through a whole season of watching Liam "take down" Robert.

On 2/16/2017 at 8:08 AM, Arynm said:

They just announced a season 4 on the Today show. Yay!! What nonsense can they get up to next?

I'm pretty thrilled. As much as this show can grate, it's one of only a handful of shows I'll try to catch live, mostly so I can discuss it with you awesome people.

Max Brown better enjoy the hell out of his paycheck, because Robert is surely going down. I'm excited we have a renewed chance of seeing Robert with Willow, especially since the latter has had fuck all to do since Kathryn came along. Sadly, if they're going to go full villain on him, he probably won't get a nice girl in return (see: Cyrus).

• Love 2

That's great news! For me, Jake Maskall and now Max Brown make or break the show. Helena has been declawed so she's no fun. I wish Joan Collins would come back but didn't the Queen Mother get sent to prison? I forgot.

Liam is the most boring character ever and I don't care for William Moseley. I am sort of perplexed as to why he has such a huge fan base over here.  (I just assumed that this show would NOT be aired or written for a UK audience but I could be wrong.) He has no charisma and no chemistry with any of the women he's been paired with so far. He's spineless and whiny and I'm sure that next season that whatever he has up his sleeve, he'll get Cyrus to do the heavy lifting. Although Cyrus is smart enough to "delegate" to keep his hands clean.

I like Eleanor but we see too much of her and while the actress is good, the character isn't strong or well-developed enough to be the leading lady. Maybe Willow?

I am also struggling to embrace the appeal of Jas-pah. Sure, Tom Austen is a hottie, but he is the most dour character ever. Has he ever smiled on the show? I know he's supposed to be a serious bodyguard, dark past, etc., but lighten up!

I guess we'll have a long wait until December ???

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:15 PM, grisgris said:

Sure, Tom Austen is a hottie, but he is the most dour character ever.

I beg to differ. That award (most dour) goes to Michael Shannon on Boardwalk Empire.

On 8/16/2017 at 11:41 PM, Rachel RSL said:

Does anyone know when this show comes back on? I miss this glorious trash so much!

If we're going by past seasons, it usually returns late next month or so. I saw on Instagram that they wrapped filming on the entire season already. I miss this show so much, mostly because the discussions here were so good. But yeah, I can't seem to find a concrete date.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1

What a bummer. I've been looking forward to the December return of this show. Thanks, EG Tea for posting this. I can't acess the links on this computer (but with check on laptop later) so can you some up what Mark Schwahn is accused of?

11 hours ago, kat165 said:

What a bummer. I've been looking forward to the December return of this show. Thanks, EG Tea for posting this. I can't acess the links on this computer (but with check on laptop later) so can you some up what Mark Schwahn is accused of?

A bunch of the One Tree Hill main female cast members wrote a letter about his sexual harrassment and manipulation during his tenure on the show. Bunch of the male cast members have come out in support of the women. News just broke that he is suspended from The Royals. Poor women. He's probably done for good as showrunner.

I was just thinking about this show the other day, wondering when we'd finally get a return date. I was looking forward to a December/January date as well, so I'm surprised that it's coming back so much later than that. But it's better than nothing! I miss this show!

Really disgusted with the news about Schwahn and I'm glad he's been suspended. I haven't checked if other "Royals" actors have responsed but if Park was subjected to his lechery, other female actors on the show likely were as well. Sickening. I'm glad that the network seems to be supporting the actors, based on Park's statement. I'm not so sure this show will get another season but I hope they do, not only because I enjoy it but because I'd like to see the cast and crew get to work on a season without any of this disgusting behavior tainting it.

• Love 1

Some cast and crew of The Royals have written their own letter  today with their own allegations against Schwahn. I think it’s mostly crew, but guess which of the actresses signed it? None other than Merritt Patterson (Ophelia). I didn’t recognize any of the other names, there may be other actresses who signed.

This may explain a lot about Merritt’s weird departure from the show. The poor woman. I always liked the character.  

Stick a fork in him, he’s done. 

Edited by EarlGreyTea
found a link
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I can’t link to it, but some cast and crew of The Royals have written their own letter  today with their own allegations against Schwahn. I think it’s mostly crew, but guess which of the actresses signed it? None other than Merritt Patterson (Ophelia). I didn’t recognize any of the other names, there may be other actresses who signed.

This may explain a lot about Merritt’s weird departure from the show. The poor woman. I always liked the character.  

Stick a fork in him, he’s done. 

You know, I was going to mention that I wondered if this was the real reason why Merritt left (I thought it was because the character was so disliked; I wasn't a big fan myself and was glad her character was written out) but didn't want to speculate like that. Geez. Thanks for all the info, EarlGreyTea.

• Love 1

The list of cast and crew who signed their names to this letter:

Hatty Preston, Sophie Colquhoun, Alex Watherson, Lydia Rose Bewley, April Church, Annalise Beusnel, Poppy Corby-Tuech, Florence Chow, Charlie Jones, Isabella Artitzone, Jade Armstrong, Rachel Walsh, Tania Vernava, Bonnie Vannucci, Merritt Patterson, Kate Benton, Jerry-Jane Pears, Jodie Simone, Kate Royds, Leonie Hartard, Lisa Mitton, Marie Deehan, Alice Woodward, Rachel Lennon, Kimberly Macbeth.

Interesting to note that following actresses who signed it:

Merritt Patterson (Ophelia): explains a lot about the rather abrupt and frankly cruel way she was written out

Lydia Rose Bewley and Hatty Preston, who played the cousins. Didn't one or both leave after season one too? Jerry-Jane Pears I think played one of them after the plastic surgery.

Sophie Colquhoun, ditto. She played Gemma.

Tom Austen, who is particularly close to Alexandra Park, has also commented:
Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1

Yeah. I think this might be the final death knell for the Royals. Oh, well. 4 seasons ain't bad.

As for Merrit...well, damn. I always did feel like her departure from the show felt personal, which is why she was written out in such a way that felt pretty much as final as you could get without actually killing her off in a dead, dead, dead way.

I'm not really shocked per se, because I always thought Mark seemed extremely creepy towards Hilarie Burton when One Tree Hill was running. Just the storylines he gave Peyton just always seemed to fetishize her.

• Love 1
On 11/19/2017 at 2:11 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Yeah. I think this might be the final death knell for the Royals. Oh, well. 4 seasons ain't bad.

As for Merrit...well, damn. I always did feel like her departure from the show felt personal, which is why she was written out in such a way that felt pretty much as final as you could get without actually killing her off in a dead, dead, dead way.

I'm not really shocked per se, because I always thought Mark seemed extremely creepy towards Hilarie Burton when One Tree Hill was running. Just the storylines he gave Peyton just always seemed to fetishize her.

Yeah, the way she was written out was downright vindictive and sloppy. I also don't think her dad was supposed to be Simon's killer in the first place. It seemed like a retcon of major proportions. It ensured Ophelia could never come back, and she was written off abruptly in the first place, with Liam getting her that audition. They could have just left it at that.

Edited by EarlGreyTea

A minute-long teaser for S4:

Happy to see more campiness... Liam looks like he's going off the rails, which I've kind of wanted him to do but I'm not sure William Moseley's restrained style will allow him to pull it off. We'll see. I'm no fan of Jasper/Eleanor so meh to that. Didn't they break up? I hope E! has a S3 marathon because I forgot everything already, lol.

• Love 2

Looks great!  Happy to see a glimpse of Joan Collins. Eleanor looks healthier this season. Alexandra Parks looked beautiful; her hair was positively glowing.

Of course, they had to work in a royal wedding!

Can't wait!!!

Thanks for posting,omgsowicked!

• Love 2
On 1/6/2018 at 10:27 PM, omgsowicked said:

A minute-long teaser for S4:

Happy to see more campiness... Liam looks like he's going off the rails, which I've kind of wanted him to do but I'm not sure William Moseley's restrained style will allow him to pull it off. We'll see. I'm no fan of Jasper/Eleanor so meh to that. Didn't they break up? I hope E! has a S3 marathon because I forgot everything already, lol.

Ugh, I'm definitely leaning towards not watching. I really miss season 1. They never should have killed off Simon, this whole "battle for the throne" crap is just boring & stupid.

Hi

I wrote this on YouTube and no answer lol. Basically  I want to know how and why Mark is still credited as an exutive producer on this show!

Also did any of the cast membersebers know what he did to one tree hill cast members before one of them told the media?

I'm finding it hard to watch it would of been ok sort of if he still wasn't credited but he is even online! I feel sorry for his victims and to still credit him as anything is just sickening.

anms- in answer to your first question my guess is that when Season 4 was filmed it was prior to the harassment stuff coming out. Also I'm not sure if his name would be removed because he was EP at that time. Mark was removed after filming was completed.

I'm sure someone will come up with a more accurate explanation of circumstances but hopefully this will tide you over until you can fill in the blanks.

On 4/6/2018 at 7:02 PM, anms said:

Hi

I wrote this on YouTube and no answer lol. Basically  I want to know how and why Mark is still credited as an exutive producer on this show!

Also did any of the cast membersebers know what he did to one tree hill cast members before one of them told the media?

I'm finding it hard to watch it would of been ok sort of if he still wasn't credited but he is even online! I feel sorry for his victims and to still credit him as anything is just sickening.

Maybe it's illegal to remove his name off the credits since he did work on the show, after all. Good riddance to him.

It's unclear what the cast members knew and when they knew it. My guess is that there were always rumors. I'm a total rando, but even I had heard rumblings back when OTH was on. What was telling was that a large number of the female Royals cast members and crew signed an open letter saying they had also been harassed, and later on Alexandra Park did too. Those poor women. It does, however, explain why so many female cast members jumped ship, including Merritt Patterson, whose character Ophelia was written off with such finality that it felt like a personal jab.

I was disappointed with Hurley's response. It smacked of the "he didn't do anything to me so he must be innocent" frame of mind which is so damaging.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:16 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

It's unclear what the cast members knew and when they knew it. My guess is that there were always rumors. I'm a total rando, but even I had heard rumblings back when OTH was on. What was telling was that a large number of the female Royals cast members and crew signed an open letter saying they had also been harassed, and later on Alexandra Park did too. Those poor women. It does, however, explain why so many female cast members jumped ship, including Merritt Patterson, whose character Ophelia was written off with such finality that it felt like a personal jab.

I think anyone who watched One Tree Hill with at least some regularity would get how creepy Mark was towards Hilary Burton. A lot of her storylines seemed to fetishize her. I mean, for starters, Peyton was a teenaged girl who entertained people on her webcam. I remember distinctly thinking, when the Psycho Derek Peyton collage was revealed, "Wow, that's like what Mark Schwann's mind is like."

• Love 1

So I've been watching these cute little videos from the Royals (called The Royals Hangover) and the comments are becoming more and more steadily pro-Robert - especially due to the Willow angle.  

Max Brown just might pull this show into a fifth season.

• Love 2

That was entertaining, thanks for posting. I feel even worse for Moseley now, because it's clear he is funny and full of life, all things his character is not. Why can't they make Liam more like William? It would fill in a huge hole in the canvas - a comic character. We haven't had one since the cousins.

Also, Max Brown looks great with his hair tousled.

• Love 3

well the shows been cancelled. I still never was the last episode and a half, so maybe I will Now that I don't have to worry about whether or not they were going to redeem Robert or not haha. I sincerely doubt they will get picked up by another Network. Hope Max Brown finds a job

• Love 1

I am kinda bummed it got cancelled - I think the producer going down for sexual harassment gave E! the nudge it wanted to go ahead and cancel - but maybe it will get picked up.  Although I wasn't really looking forward to seeing everyone going after Robert when he's the best thing that ever happened to this show.  I don't mind a JR character, but not one that they make totally evil just so the "good" character has something to do.

Wherever Max B goes I'm following though.  Love him.  Hope he finds someplace worthy of his talent.

The writing has been on the wall for quite some time now, but to see it finally canceled was so disappointing. I really enjoyed discussing it with everyone here. I think bringing back Robert was such a great move and, if it had to end, I'm glad it ended with him getting one over on everyone and getting his happy ending with Willow. Also glad we never got to a Jasper/Eleanor wedding, because they became thoroughly insufferable.

Frankly I'm surprised it lasted this long. The ratings were never all that great.

• Love 2

I'm so bummed it was cancelled but I think it's hilariously awesome that the series ended with Robert getting the throne and the woman he loves. I know that wasn't the plan but, haha, suck it Liam and Jasper!  Robert wins!

• Love 3