Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E16: Blast from the Past

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

Undercover Gibbs knowing how to handle people but still being crap at computers was hilarious. I can only imagine how much patience McGee had to draw upon to talk Gibbs through computer stuff for 4 hours... Heeee.

And I officially cannot deal with Bishop now, not if she can't watch a single movie all the way through. Who doesn't enjoy Big?? Or all the very fine physiques in Top Gun? (LOL.) I'm with DiNozzo. It's a tragedy. 

• Love 5

The actress playing the woman responsible for creating the undercover identities reminded me of another guest actress on this show, the one who played the mother of a brilliant young woman with mathematic formulas written all over her body who was being poisoned by a jealous coworker.  The young woman's name was Clea and whoever it was playing her mother knocked it out of the park in terms of subtlety and emotion.  I got the same vibe from the actress last night.

• Love 1

I can totally buy Gibbs knowing how to use a computer back in the day and not now. My mom was a programmer on mainframes, and eventually managed programmers, and WYSIWYG systems throw her completely. I volunteered my brother to be her tech support when she couldn't reliably find the menus in Word after an hour on the phone (...then when the arrow is blocking the word "File," you click the left mouse button and...)

Who was that actress? She looks really familiar, but she's not up on IMDB yet.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Loved Gibbs as a computer technician, but even better was everyone else's reaction. 

Nice to see Tom Morrow back, I still yell 'it's Jim Robinson from Neighbours' every time he's on the screen. 

I loved Abby and McGee ripping Tony about not meeting Zoe's parents. There's a really nice feel to the way these characters relate to each other. 

How can you watch Top Gun and not realise Goose died?!

• Love 6

Nice to see Tom Morrow back, I still yell 'it's Jim Robinson from Neighbours' every time he's on the screen. 

SQUEE!!!!!!!!! Morrow is back? For Realsies??!!!!!  Ahem

As far as I'm concerned, Morrow is the BEST DIRECTOR this show has had; the way he was used--popped in only when it was necessary, not to mention the respect that Gibbs gave him. No baggage between him and Gibbs and no disrespect; even when they disagreed, and how Morrow always had his team's back.

Plus, I love that Silver Fox Alan Dale.

I am really enjoying the team dynamics this year.  I love that Bishop is competent but she clearly is still the probie on the team.  I like that Abby isn't confined to just Gibbs and McGee scenes.  Speaking of Abby kudos to wardrobe.  They have toned down her goth look from the anime levels it was at.  

• Love 2

And I think "oh shit, it's the evil Charles Widmore!" from Lost every time.

I have a picture book called Sliver Foxes, it's just pictures of sexy men with silver hair. Both Mark Harmon and Alan Dale are in it.

Please tell me John Slattery is in the book as well.

• Love 1

I actually enjoyed this episode and the storyline, I don't remember them having a case about old undercover personas, have they?

Lol and of course Gibbs was not going te repeat the 300 words-per-second explanation McGee was feeding! I liked the way he approached the guard, he knows his strengths.

• Love 2

I pegged Leland Spears's neighbor as the bad guy the minute he showed up-- something about his ridiculous hair. I figured he would pop back up again. I liked Gibbs going undercover and everyone's incredulity that he could be an IT guy. But Gibbs is the master of reading people, not necessarily knowing everything so I thought that interplay was amusing-- Abby and Tim freaking out that he was going to blow it and Gibbs totally working the security guard without blowing his cover at all.

I continue to appreciate the mentor/mentee relationship between Bishop and Tim/Tony. This week she spend more time with Tim and I like that they both treat her as a competent adult while still teaching her. I also like that she hasn't become a super NCIS agent over night. She's capable, but still looks to Tim and Tony for guidance and assistance. Additionally, I thought her worry about potential undercover work was realistic, given her marital status and the fact that undercover work is often portrayed as involving relationships with the target.

I'm happy we didn't get any flashbacks to Gibbs and Jenny undercover. *whew*

• Love 2

Mr. DVD pegged the neighbor and I the lady who created covert IDs as in on it, go us. We also laughed pretty hard at Bishop's non-knowledge of Top Gun, especially the "Goose died?!" part because Top Gun is Mr. DVD's favorite movie and back in the early dating days I "watched" it with him, and I probably would have said the same thing if quizzed on the movie. I know someone died. That's a start, right?

We really need to see more Gibbs doing stuff like going into that building as Spears because he is SO GOOD at it and it's much more fun to see him like this instead of all dour daddy to all the females on the show.

I've mentioned this so many times it's beginning to lose all meaning but it seems like every episode of this season reinforces my gratitude that everyone is being written as a competent adult, everyone likes each other and works well together, and people are in realistic, happy adult relationships.

• Love 6

The only thing that annoyed me was that we keep getting beaten in the head with Bishop being married. Her harping on being an undercover agent while being married, then her flashing her ring at the CIA agent. We get it, writers!

• Love 1

OHEMGEE did Morrow look überly Hawt! And how come I never realized how bluuuuuuuu his eyes were?

And they found a picture of Harmon from when he made People's sexiest man alive piece! At least I think that was where it was from.

I really enjoyed this episode with Gibbs playing computer technician, hee! And Morrow asking him if Gibbs's phone was capable of receiving text messages.

• Love 1

I thought it was funny that Gibbs was still carrying around his damaged new smart phone even though he wasn't using it.

The motive seemed dumb and unclear. Middle aged Serbian dude was becoming too Americanized? Also, why kill the other guy too? Made no sense to me. Finally why kill them in such a manner knowing there would be murder investigation? Why not make it look like accidents?

• Love 2
(edited)

Finally why kill them in such a manner knowing there would be murder investigation? Why not make it look like accidents?

It wouldn't matter if they made it look like an accident or murder because as soon as they ran the victim's I.D. it would raise suspicion.

Edited by RileyMay
  • Love 1

I loved the Gibbes as Geek twist, but couldn't they have found a way to do something like that without resorting to yet another story based on Gibbes' past and relationships?

I really miss basic Case-of-the-Week stuff. Does EVERYTHING have to have such relevance and importance beyond just solving a crime?

I guess the other teams handle all that stuff because the Gibbes team is too busy dealing with crimes based on Gibbes. I would think that at this point, some high level super secret part of some agency would be having hush hush talks about offing Gibbes themselves just to lower the crime rate in DC.

• Love 2

I guess they figure that's the only way to make it personal enough to be emotionally engaging for the audience. But I remember cases back in season 1 and 2 that grabbed me simply because the team was in danger because of the random case, not because it was personal to Gibbs or any other member getting 'targeted.'

Like Tony getting drugged and kidnapped in Missing or doing dangerous undercover work in Chained or being the unplanned victim in SWAK, or McGee facing a challenging mystery in a women's prison lockdown in Caged, or Palmer and Ducky facing madmen who want evidence to disappear -- those episodes showed the character facing a dangerous or stressful situation simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time or missed a clue until it was too late or just because shit happens (LOL). And what I like about those episodes is that we get to see the character(s) and/or the team working hard to solve the case, confront the danger, make it out alive, etc. We get to see the team care about one another, we get to see what they're made of and what they can do because they're good at what they do (and because they remember Gibbs' rules which can help in certain circumstances *GRIN*). We get to see them work together to solve the problems. Those are some of my favorite episodes.

Even in this past week's episode it was cool to see Gibbs go undercover, however briefly, as a tech geek. He may not know modern computers or cell phones, but he knows people and we got to see the hilarious results of that, how he can think on his feet and assess a person and know what to say to get past them in order to do what he needs to do and get out quickly (well, except for the agonizing part where he was on the phone with McGee for 4 hours, LOL). But we got to see what Gibbs can do, and it was really cool.

I would love to see more of that. The tension would come from whether or not he would be found out before he got out, or if the bad guys get to him and the rest of the team has to save him (or he can use his smarts to get out, himself). That can be done for any of the team, as well. And it would be fun and exciting to watch because we care about these characters and root for them.

We don't need a big bad villain to torment the team on a show like NCIS. It worked with Ari because it was the first time, but we don't need it all the time. Just put the team through their paces in an intense and good way, and we're sold.

• Love 3

I guess I'm used to seeing Gibbs roll over everyone between him and the answers with the sheer power of his Gibbsness. It was kind of fun to see him use a totally different part of his arsenal to get past someone who didn't even know he was Gibbs.

• Love 6

Loved Gibbs as a computer technician, but even better was everyone else's reaction. 

I loved Abby and McGee ripping Tony about not meeting Zoe's parents. There's a really nice feel to the way these characters relate to each other. 

How can you watch Top Gun and not realise Goose died?!

OK, so if anyone cares, I'm behind and just watched this episode.  How can you not watch Top Gun PERIOD?!  That's like not watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  Tony (or should I say Michael?  Probably both, I guess) and I are similar in age, so I feel his indignation.

Agree about how the characters relate to each other, but I also love the completeness of the universe.  There's mention of Zoe, Burt, and Jake.  At this point, since it's a TV show, I like that NCIS constantly mines its history.  There was a connection to Gibbs, but we also got a callback to Tony's history as Tony DiNardo.  I hated how Jenny used Tony for her own aims in that operation, but it was the first long-term, sustained appearance of Competent Tony, and I love him.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 3