Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Jenn Brown

Donny Ketchum
  • Start Topic

Another women with internalized misogyny who doesn't like women and would rather be around guys. Lovely.

Well, she hasn't been shown getting close with Nina or Hali.  Just Vince and Joe.  So this is probably accurate.  I won't be surprised if Vince's paranoia and insecurity blows up in her face, though.

Well, she hasn't been shown getting close with Nina or Hali.  Just Vince and Joe.  So this is probably accurate.  I won't be surprised if Vince's paranoia and insecurity blows up in her face, though.

Now it seems she and Hali are BFFs, so I don't think this is an accurate description of her.  

Which is good.  She's a hoot.

• Love 3

Now it seems she and Hali are BFFs, so I don't think this is an accurate description of her.  

Which is good.  She's a hoot.

Absolutely.  So glad she's capable of being around women, too!  So far, the only woman this season who seems reluctant to try to relate to other women is, ironically, Nina.

• Love 1

I like Jenn.  I get a bit of a Sugar vibe from her.  She's my favorite female out there right now, along with Hali and Carolyn (until I can tell the BC ladies apart anyway, then maybe I can decide whether or not to like them).  She's 2nd to Joe as being my favorite out there overall.  I think she could have the potential to actually make moves and play a great game vs just getting in an alliance and being a sheep.  I hope she makes the merge, though I'm worried with NC dwindling numbers, and a tribe swap that will likely happen down the road in the near future, she may get the short end of the stick and get the last pre-merge boot.  Along with Sugar, some of her comments remind me of Kat and I think she may be in for a big blindside.  It's also why I'm thinking it might go either way for her.  I actually thought last week she might just get the boot, with her "I love TC!" comment.  She looked surprised at the very first vote Jeff held up with her name on it (but really, Vince and Nina were going to vote for one of those 3, so why was she surprised).  She's probably the only no collar person that I would legitimately classify as acting no collar.

She seems to get along with Hali and Joe (there's quite a few photos of her and Joe together on instagram so it seems they stayed friends outside the show), but I'm still questioning the dynamic when it comes to voting on that tribe.  With it looking so predictable that Nina was getting booted, I thought the girls might end up forcing a tie to get Will out since Jenn seemed on board with him being the weakest.  It's like they go into TC with a plan, but then it goes slightly off course for that tribe.  At any rate, here's hoping NC wins next week, because even though Will is likely leaving, I don't want their numbers to get any smaller.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Yeah, I like Jenn, too, and don't see what the hate for her is all about.  I haven't seen a hint of smugness from her.  She makes her points, she explains her points, and she just comes off as into the game to me, not at all like a mean girl.

• Love 3

There are two vids from the extra vids for the last eps that may have me turned around on Jenn. She's very endearing when tending to/talking about the chickens. But then she has another vid where she's whining about Shirin and I'm reminded why I don't really like her.

I finally got around to watching the Meet Jenn video. She comes off as really judgmental and immature in that one. Just the way she talks about how people with 9-5 jobs are boring and you'll never meet an interesting investment banker is just dumb. And then she also talks about how she doesn't understand why people would ever take on jobs they don't like. Look, I understand that from a theoretical perspective, but she's old enough to know that that's not how the world works sometimes. She says in the video that she's not a trust fund kid, but she does come across as very privileged. (Aside - she's a sailing instructor. Isn't sailing kind of a wealthy yacht club kind of thing?) In her other video she mentions that she doesn't like to be friends with girls and, as I mentioned in the episode thread, I feel like she can't be friends with girls because she's catty, not because they are. 

• Love 3

I just adore Jenn.  I really can't wait to get to next week and see her strategizing taken to the next level.  I was so happy to see her give the victory to her team during the RC.  Interesting analogy comparing the life of a sea turtle to her life in this game, and not really sure if it lived up to the "life altering experience" we got from the promos.  But I enjoyed her reaction to that, to really taking in where they were and witnessing.  She tells it like it is and is real, and I love listening to her confessionals.  Total bonus points that she thinks of Rodney as a douche.

• Love 3

I'm really liking her too, I hope she goes far, I also really like Shirin, I find them both fun to watch. As far as her comments about 9-5 jobs and such, I think it's clear these people have been heavily coached to blather on and on about things that relate to their tribe designation. They came up with this concept after the show was cast, if they hadn't applied this on them, I don't think we would be hearing comments like that from her, or Mike going on about how white collar workers make their livings on the back's of blue collar workers. It's the only thing I'm not liking about this season, we get the concept producers, stop trying to beat us over the head with it.

Also, sailing isn't necessarily just for the privileged, if she said she or her family owned a sailboat, then that might be more of an indication of that. But enjoying sailing? I grew up solidly middle class, and I knew several people that were into it, they would rent boats when they had the money, and make a day of it. I don't know if she has a privileged background or not, but I'm enjoying her on the show. 

• Love 2

From the recap:

Having a one-in-thirteen chance at winning Survivor is looking pretty good compared to having a one-in-100 chance at, y'know, life.

That's exactly the kind of speech you'd hear in replay at the season finale. I'm calling it now, Jenn for the win.

• Love 5

Well, Jenn and Joe are obviously still friends and hanging out together, but am not sure it's so clear whether they are actually dating.  Jenn has a lot more photos on instagram with Hali than with Joe.  Those two are clearly still good friends.  Hali looks pretty bad-ass on her Honda.  Not sure its the safest thing in the world to ride around with two girls and a surfboard on the same motorcycle, but maybe they were just posing in that particular photo.

Edited by viajero

Or maybe we can't really draw any conclusions about her dating status from her Instagram!

I mean, sometimes you easily can, but in this case I don't think it's clear at all. I'd say it seems more like they've stayed friends, which isn't surprising.

Well, Jenn and Joe are obviously still friends and hanging out together, but am not sure it's so clear whether they are actually dating.  Jenn has a lot more photos on instagram with Hali than with Joe.  Those two are clearly still good friends.  Hali looks pretty bad-ass on her Honda.  Not sure its the safest thing in the world to ride around with two girls and a surfboard on the same motorcycle, but maybe they were just posing in that particular photo.

It seems like Jenn/Hali/Shirin are really close, though they all live near each other so that's not surprising.  Hali looks like a lot of fun in real life.  I loved that photo of her on her Honda.  I'm enjoying her on the show, but looking at those photos of her and Jenn, I feel like they've got similar personalities.  I wish we'd get more of that side of her.  In regards to Joe/Jenn-they seem to be having fun with fans with the whole dating rumors.  Whether they are or aren't who knows.  I love Survivor romances, and it seems like this show has more luck with hook ups than The Bachelor.  But I can totally see why they are still so tight, friend-wise or something more.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5
(edited)

Jenn for the win.  She saved this entire episode.  Girl is a tough, tough competitor and super smart about the game.  Plus she's funny.  I could watch a full episode of her confessionals.  I wish she didn't have to play her idol so soon, but glad she did.  I don't even want to get to next week if all it means is everyone re-groups and just picks off the remaining NC because their idol is used.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 6

I'm totally glad she figured out she might be in trouble and played that idol.  Glad she's still around, too!  And yes, getting stung, but continuing on with the challenge earns her my props, as well!

I just hope she, Hali, Joe, and Shirin can finagle something next week.  I mean, who wants a F7 of Mike, Dan, Rodney, Sierra (though I like her), Tyler, Carolyn, and Will?  Seriously?

• Love 5

I just hope she, Hali, Joe, and Shirin can finagle something next week.  I mean, who wants a F7 of Mike, Dan, Rodney, Sierra (though I like her), Tyler, Carolyn, and Will?  Seriously?

We can only hope the former group can convince Carolyn and Tyler to side with them, because really... the alternative... Mike/Dan/Rodney is just a mishmash of suckiness.

• Love 4

Just so you guys know. I'm from Long Beach, where Jenn is from. I've taken sailing classes, many times. I'm far far from rich or privileged. Costs aren't prohibitive, but they aren't 'cheap' either. My son and I enjoyed it.

Jenn was probably still in school when we did this, so nope, no Jenn stories to share, sorry.

• Love 3

God last season's shenanigans made me almost completely certain that Jenn has been getting the Josh Canfield Memorial First Merge Boot edit when her name came up and Mike's did not.  I <3 you Jenn, good work.

I starting to think that Jenn was a regular poster in the Survivor threads at TWOP. If she says "Shut up, Jeff Probst" then I'll know for certain. 

Someone specific in mind, or just in general?  How interesting.

• Love 2

Someone specific in mind, or just in general?  How interesting.

I don't remember any handles but I always felt that if someone from TWOP had ended up on Survivor, they'd give snarky entertaining interviews instead of the bland ones (or embarrassing ones) contestants usually give. Jenn has given some of the snarkiest interviews in Survivor history, yet when she's back at the camp she manages to keep it all in and stay strategic. 

• Love 2

I interpreted Probst saying that Jenn "hates me" as she doesn't worship him like he expects all Survivor contestants to worship a reality television host. I guess he got his hopes up when she said how blown away she was when seeing him at the first TC. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I interpreted Probst saying that Jenn "hates me" as she doesn't worship him like he expects all Survivor contestants to worship a reality television host. I guess he got his hopes up when she said how blown away she was when seeing him at the first TC. 

I'm glad she doesn't like him, but I wonder why she doesn't?  For the same reason most others don't?

Edited by Donny Ketchum
(edited)

I'm glad she doesn't like him, but I wonder why she doesn't.  For the same reason most others don't?

I would guess that if she "doesn't like him," it's more that kind of petulant/sassy/disapproving attitude that kids have for their teachers.   You know, where authoritarian figures are by nature square and sassing back at them is a high art form.

I know because I was that way and I can totally see it in Jenn.  That was 11th grade, though.  ;)

ETA:  Since Jeff still wants to be one of the cool kids, he characterizes it as "she hates me" -- perhaps playfully so.  One of the markers of age/maturity is realizing -- and not caring -- that young people will categorically disregard you.

I know because I have now reached that stage.  ;)

Edited by Special K
  • Love 3
(edited)

After this week I wouldn't like him either (even if I already did).  He knew exactly where that bee stung her, and yet he still wanted her to announce it to the world that she got stung in her lady parts.  But Jenn handled that well.  That and her idol play were probably two of my favorite moments thus far this season.  She just brings the level of fun to something new.  I've liked past female contestants, but it's been awhile since I've liked and enjoyed one this much.  I think I was rooting for Natalie to win last season more by default than anything.  Looking at whose left, it would be pretty boring out there without Jenn.

It could just be the love-hate relationship: Probst takes himself too seriously, loves to hear himself talk, be head honcho, call the shots, put people on the spot, and yet Jenn would purposely challenge him just to turn it all around on him.  She's like the kid in school that you think are going to make look stupid by having an argument with her, and yet she'll just keeping turning your own words on you until you have to run out with your tail between your legs.  I recently watched The Breakfast Club, so I almost picture Probst being the stuff shirt principal and Jenn being the Judd Nelson criminal of the group that antagonizes him all day.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 7

Yeah, Jenn is spirited and funny ... but I can't quite shake off my earlier impression of her and Hali (and maybe Joe) of being shallow and privileged and a bit mean.  It's kind of telling that all of the older people who have played with them seem to dislike them, tried to remove themselves from their alliance and targeted them.  Nina, Vince, and Kelly have all said something to that effect, and from what I'm hearing from Kelly's interviews, Will and Carolyn appear to have distanced themselves for similar reasons.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, Jenn is spirited and funny ... but I can't quite shake off my earlier impression of her and Hali (and maybe Joe) of being shallow and privileged and a bit mean.

This is why I keep going back and forth on all 3 of them. But of the 3, I do like Jenn the best at this point. She doesn't seem quite as mean as I initially thought she was. Plus she's providing me endless entertainment.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3

Did we see her face when she answered Jiffy Pop's question about the bee sting?  'Cause I'm wondering if "Jeff" was added in post-production;  as in, the original quote was, "Where my hand is, dumbass."  That'd give Jeff a reason to think that she "hates" him.

And as far a TWoP'er (PTv'er for that matter,) I'd have to believe that they have edited out more than one, "Shut up, Probst!," during competitions in the history of the show...  So that clue is unlikely tp occur.

• Love 1