Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: What's Up Doc?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

t

35 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

That really does demonstrate a room of writers that are running on fumes. I've always said that shows have a natural lifespan of about four years. After that, most of the ideas have been explored, most character dynamics have been mined, and there's not much to do but repeat things or get more and more outlandish. In a show like E.R., where there are new characters fairly regularly, that lifespan is extended. But the fact that they started killing characters like this suggests to me that the writers were struggling for ideas.

Especially when you contrast that with the first few seasons, where they only killed Dennis Gant. And his situation felt far more real: A depressed young medical student, far from home and struggling to fit in. I imagine there is a soberingly high number of them that consider suicide.

Yeah, as time passed, there were also more and more outrageous storylines involving members of the staff involved, at the very least, in hastening the death of other patients and even family members.  Then, there were multiple storylines where characters decided to play God and either refuse care or force care upon patients against their will.

Spoiler

Mark kills a guy in the elevator by refusing to cardiovert him.  Chen euthanizes her senile father.  Sam shot and killed her ex while he slept (though he was a murderer, kidnapper and otherwise despicable.)  Chen and Malucci screw up big time on a patient at least in part because Kerry, who was supposed to be there backing them up, left the hospital during her shift on a personal errand and didn't have her pager.  Kerry then turned right around, lied about her whereabouts, denied she didn't have her pager and fired Malucci and demoted Chen rather than take responsibility for her part in the patient's death.  And, of course, we had Luka repeatedly making moral judgments and wanting to deny care to those he deemed unworthy while Abby insisted on forcing care on people against their will.  She repeatedly tried to force her mother and brother into restrictive treatment facilities for the mentally ill because she didn't want to deal with them, going so far as to go to court to force commitment on her mother.  One of her former profs turned up in ER with a fatal illness and a DNR.  Abby was irate, demanded the guy accept treatment including a tracheostomy despite the fact she hadn't seen him in years and both he and his partner were satisfied with the DNR.  She then trached him against his will when his condition deteriorated.  And, since she was Abby, the episode ended with him apparently accepting the intervention and agreeing to hospitalization and treatment despite progression of his ALS.  Abby never mentioned him again, no indication she ever even saw him again and, yet, we were apparently supposed to be impressed with her plucky tenacity.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3

^ All that sort of thing is why I gave up on the show in its later seasons. Well, that and the exodus of all the original cast members. To begin with, I felt like I was watching a realistic (if more consistently dramatic) depiction of a hospital emergency room. But the show started to transform into a soap, where characters did crazy things, just to set up the storyline that writers had come up with. Exploring character relationships and professional issues was fine, but it started to stretch credulity when they were jeopardising patient care and/or their own careers just to win some pissing contest.

• Love 3

Yup, as I said in an earlier post, I drifted away when it became more of a soap opera.  I did not even know about most of the events under the spoiler bars, but it confirms my sense of the show whenever I tried to watch a later episode.  I've actually be grateful for the repeating cycle of the first six seasons this summer while I had some time to watch, as they still surprise me and engage me, and now I think I have re-watched almost all of the episodes from these earlier seasons.  

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Yeah, as time passed, there were also more and more outrageous storylines involving members of the staff involved, at the very least, in hastening the death of other patients and even family members.  Then, there were multiple storylines where characters decided to play God and either refuse care or force care upon patients against their will.

Hide contents

Mark kills a guy in the elevator by refusing to cardiovert him.  Chen euthanizes her senile father.  Sam shot and killed her ex while he slept (though he was a murderer, kidnapper and otherwise despicable.)  Chen and Malucci screw up big time on a patient at least in part because Kerry, who was supposed to be there backing them up, left the hospital during her shift on a personal errand and didn't have her pager.  Kerry then turned right around, lied about her whereabouts, denied she didn't have her pager and fired Malucci and demoted Chen rather than take responsibility for her part in the patient's death.  And, of course, we had Luka repeatedly making moral judgments and wanting to deny care to those he deemed unworthy while Abby insisted on forcing care on people against their will.  She repeatedly tried to force her mother and brother into restrictive treatment facilities for the mentally ill because she didn't want to deal with them, going so far as to go to court to force commitment on her mother.  One of her former profs turned up in ER with a fatal illness and a DNR.  Abby was irate, demanded the guy accept treatment including a tracheostomy despite the fact she hadn't seen him in years and both he and his partner were satisfied with the DNR.  She then trached him against his will when his condition deteriorated.  And, since she was Abby, the episode ended with him apparently accepting the intervention and agreeing to hospitalization and treatment despite progression of his ALS.  Abby never mentioned him again, no indication she ever even saw him again and, yet, we were apparently supposed to be impressed with her plucky tenacity.

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Hide contents

Or when characters would fudge paperwork/medical records to suit their patients or their families.

Spoiler

Carter changed a diabetic teen's chart, saying his blood glucose wasn't checked because the dad's insurance didn't kick in for a few months, so, he couldn't afford his son's treatment and it would have been considered a pre-existing condition. It bit Carter in the ass because the kid came back some episodes later in a diabetic coma.

Gates' patient (Guest Star Bingo: Sean Young) purposely ingested toxic liquid and he convinced Luka to rule it as an accident instead of suicide for the death kit so that the sons could get her life insurance money.

1 hour ago, ShortyMac said:

Or when characters would fudge paperwork/medical records to suit their patients or their families.

Hide contents

Carter changed a diabetic teen's chart, saying his blood glucose wasn't checked because the dad's insurance didn't kick in for a few months, so, he couldn't afford his son's treatment and it would have been considered a pre-existing condition. It bit Carter in the ass because the kid came back some episodes later in a diabetic coma.

Gates' patient (Guest Star Bingo: Sean Young) purposely ingested toxic liquid and he convinced Luka to rule it as an accident instead of suicide for the death kit so that the sons could get her life insurance money.

Carter and the diabetic kid happened in Season 6 which has been in rotation on POP TV already.  However, you're right, there are many, many instances of insurance fraud as well as HIPPAA/privacy violations which became more and more egregious as the seasons progressed.  In Season 6, we also had Abby deliberately ignoring a father's instructions and contacting the man's ex-wife, telling her his daughter had leukemia and requesting that his daughter from his previous marriage be tested for possible bone marrow donation.  Against the law and grounds for immediate dismissal from medical school in real life.  And, when the first daughter came in without her mother's consent, Abby the idiot, was all set to to draw her blood for testing without her mother's consent even though the girl was under age.  Once again, doing this without parental consent constitutes assault and is illegal and, would, in real life, once again cause Abby to be expelled from med school.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2

Accountability was dead by season 10. In the episode where

Spoiler

Romano dies, he caught Morris with weed that had been taken from a patient IIRC, and we were suppose to see that his death was such a relief for Morris because he hadn't yet reported it for his firing. He was stoned nervous about being fired while everyone else was dealing with the accident. The next season he was a chief resident. That always pissed me off, because it was like it was fine because Romano was an asshole. 

• Love 3

My husband and I rewatched the episode where Doug and Mark go to California, he thought it was one of the best episodes of TV he had ever seen!

I'm wondering, were those home movies of Doug really Clooney? It didn't quite look like the dad was Nick Clooney, but that baby sure had Clooney eyebrows!

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

My husband and I rewatched the episode where Doug and Mark go to California, he thought it was one of the best episodes of TV he had ever seen!

I'm wondering, were those home movies of Doug really Clooney? It didn't quite look like the dad was Nick Clooney, but that baby sure had Clooney eyebrows!

I am almost positive that those were Clooney family home movies. There are quite a few pictures online of George as a young kid and that is him.  Not sure if that was Nick or not, but I am pretty sure that the woman holding baby George is his real life mom, Nina, who, luckily enough, resembles Piper Laurie.  She is still gorgeous and there are quite a few fairly recent photos of her online, too.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1

I also thought those must be films of George Clooney as a baby -- and that was the reason for showing them!  It did not matter to me who was holding him; the images were charming, and those baby Clooney eyes!  I agree that was a great episode, and always forget how much they pack into that, with the side trip to Mark's parents as well.  It really  helps to have the backstory of the future episodes with Mark's parents when watching this first appearance by them -- I really get a sense of how much is beneath the surface, and it's like the actors were told what would be revealed down the road. 

• Love 1

WTF,  Pop?  I started watching today's 3 DVR'd episodes a little early, so the last one ended at "live" time.  To my surprise, they were airing another unscheduled episode in lieu of "Schitts Creek".  I'm watching Kerry Weaver's first day right now on live TV (horrors!).  So not cool if I had missed this episode.  

47 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

WTF,  Pop?  I started watching today's 3 DVR'd episodes a little early, so the last one ended at "live" time.  To my surprise, they were airing another unscheduled episode in lieu of "Schitts Creek".  I'm watching Kerry Weaver's first day right now on live TV (horrors!).  So not cool if I had missed this episode.  

The Young and the Restless wasn't on today because CBS covered  the eclipse so they decided to show another ER. 

• Love 1

Oh, I see!  It looked odd on the schedule that each episodes was starting at a strange time (:12 after the hour, :16 after the hour), but I did notice it ahead of time.  But it is back to the regular schedule Tuesday, and also next Monday.  I thought it might be a Monday thing, but no.  Eclipse makes some sense, I guess!

22 minutes ago, rcc said:

The Young and the Restless wasn't on today because CBS covered  the eclipse so they decided to show another ER. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I must have missed an episode--did Ross and Carol sleep together after she came to his house, crying over losing Tatianna? He said he was going to drive her home!

No.  In a fit of morality, he turned her down.  Which pissed her off.

I think it might be close to unanimous here, about when the series stopped being engaging, and reverted to -- well, soap.  Hathaway's exit to Seattle, yes?

Going through this with the Mad Men reruns now.  Don & Megan just slept together....annnnndddd I'm out.   I didn't like much after Season 3, before that moment, and I always thought Downton Abbey should have stopped with the M&M wedding; Grey's Anatomy, long before Izzie started dreamfucking Denny.  The "repeat things"/"get more & more outlandish" seems to apply across the board.

And POP screening the rest of the seasons may turn out to be a "Careful what you wish for" few months. 

Promise me you won't let me go through it alone.

• Love 2

Yes, I said above that when Carol left for Seattle, I was done -- never thought the mix of characters recovered from the loss of her and Doug.  Did not even watch when Sherry Stringer came back for a few seasons.  But these first six seasons are still golden after all these years.  I'm sure you will have company here, but it won't be me!  (Not going on strike, just get very busy in September.)

31 minutes ago, voiceover said:

I think it might be close to unanimous here, about when the series stopped being engaging, and reverted to -- well, soap.  Hathaway's exit to Seattle, yes?

And POP screening the rest of the seasons may turn out to be a "Careful what you wish for" few months. 

Promise me you won't let me go through it alone.

• Love 1

The show definitely devolved into soap later on. Take Carter. We learned he wanted to be a doctor because he lost his older brother to cancer. Makes sense. (But why didn't the older brother have the name John instead? Eh.) His parents turned to ice because of it. Okay.

I can even accept the stabbing as, hey, there are mentally ill patients and lack of security, etc.

But then all I recall is how he constantly got crapped upon. Anspaugh and Benton saved his kidney but...

It eventually must stop working because I recall him having gotten some issue with his OTHER kidney when in Africa, and he needed dialysis/a later transplant [which admittedly gave us a great Benton/Carter reunion in S15]! Add in his baby son dies, and his wife turns into a cold distant shell - much like his own mother - and can't seem to decide whether to stay with him or not

, and yeah...Carter got a short straw, too.

In the finale, almost everyone seemed in a better place, but getting there? It seemed everyone was MISERABLE 90% of the time in the latter half of the series.

• Love 5

I was also mostly out after Carol left, I knew who Luka and Abby were, but after that, nope! All the stuff you mention with Carter, had no idea.

My "sweet spot" seasons are 4-6. Everything just gelled, really great storylines, acting, shocker moments, even the cinematography was better!

• Love 1

Watching "Do One, Tell One, Kill One" and just saw something that most people don't pay any attention to and if they do, don't care.  But I care.

Near the end Susan Lewis is holding Susie on one side of a chain length fence and Chloe is on the other side of the fence about to abandon her baby.  Susan is wearing her regular clothes and a heavy coat and Baby Susie is just in short sleeves!  That kind of stuff just grates ...

41 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I believe it's actually "Do One, Teach One, Kill One", just because I'm anal retentive!  :-)

You're absolutely right.  And it just went off 10 seconds ago!

14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Take Carter. We learned he wanted to be a doctor because he lost his older brother to cancer. Makes sense. (But why didn't the older brother have the name John instead? Eh.) His parents turned to ice because of it. Okay.

But then all I recall is how he constantly got crapped upon. Anspaugh and Benton saved his kidney but...

Reveal hidden contents

It eventually must stop working because I recall him having gotten some issue with his OTHER kidney when in Africa, and he needed dialysis/a later transplant [which admittedly gave us a great Benton/Carter reunion in S15]! Add in his baby son dies, and his wife turns into a cold distant shell - much like his own mother - and can't seem to decide whether to stay with him or not

I don't understand your comment about John's older brother being named John instead.  Could you elaborate please & thank you?

Also, I never saw the latter seasons.  Could you tell me how John was crapped on?

I love early-season John so much.  He's so wide-eyed and ambitious and hopeful and cute and sweet.

• Love 1

Here's a general survey to distract from today's repeat (ugh, Weaver v Lewis; even when I found Susan annoying, I was always on her side in this):

Favorite desk clerk?

Mine: Randi.  Because you never knew what to expect!  Ms "Malicious Mischief", indeed.

4 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

I don't understand your comment about John's older brother being named John instead.  Could you elaborate please & thank you?

Well, John's grandfather was John Carter, Sr. Carter's father, Jack, was John Carter II. So if one goes by family line, Carter's older brother that died as a kid likely would have been the one to be John Carter III, but he had a different name, and John got the name instead.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, John's grandfather was John Carter, Sr. Carter's father, Jack, was John Carter II. So if one goes by family line, Carter's older brother that died as a kid likely would have been the one to be John Carter III, but he had a different name, and John got the name instead.

Ah, I see what you're getting at.  Hey show!!  What's up with that??

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, voiceover said:

even when I found Susan annoying, I was always on her side in this

I always liked Susan! Much more than Kerry or Abby. Liked her more than Carol, too, though I did enjoy Susan and Carol's friendship. (I liked the Tarantino-directed episode where they sunbathed on the hospital roof and dancing with Carter at the end of "Full Moon, Saturday Night".)

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I always liked Susan! Much more than Kerry or Abby. Liked her more than Carol, too, though I did enjoy Susan and Carol's friendship. (I liked the Tarantino-directed episode where they sunbathed on the hospital roof and dancing with Carter at the end of "Full Moon, Saturday Night".)

Same here. 

• Love 1

I looked up when they dropped a helicopter on Romano, and that was season ten, so I watched at least through then.  I'm not sure whether I gave up in disgust shortly after that, or drifted away slowly.  That's why I'm glad Pop will finally be airing the rest of the series - so I can see what looks familiar to me.

They did put Carter through a lot of crap over the course of the series, didn't they?  I remember his girlfriend having to deliver their stillborn baby, but really don't remember her (other than she was played by Thandie Newton) or their relationship.  Didn't they kill off his grandma (the only one in the family he was close to), too?  I know his parents got divorced.  He had that nice moment with his mom, when he learned that she blamed herself for his brother's death and understood that losing a child had just pretty much broken her and she shut down/closed off, but then his dad divorced her and she pretty much said, "Fuck the Carters" and peaced out.  I think maybe he came to some sort of decent relationship with his dad, but I'm not sure - and, with the way things went for him in general, probably not.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

They did put Carter through a lot of crap over the course of the series, didn't they?  

I hated the addiction sl, and that it led to his being rejected for Chief Resident.  If anybody in that cast over the years deserved that role, it was Carter.

• Love 6

I am now so sensitized to all the times Jerry is offering a big old plate of common food, after recently seeing the much later episode where he was taught how and when to wash his hands ("what, *every* time???") after being identified as the source of a staph infection.  Today it was a giant bowl of buttered popcorn, after he had fished out a handful.  Beware, ER staffers!!! 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, which sucked. Frances Sternhagen was wonderful as Millicent Carter.

Every time he sees Frances Sternhagen, my husband thinks she is Nancy Marchand. I have to tell him she is not Tony Sopranos' mom, she is Cliff Clavin's mom.

• Love 4

I never understood how Jerry didn't get fired for all the stupid shit he did.

She's pretty much always wonderful on stage or screen.  She may have retired from acting - at nearly 90, that's a damn good run - as her last role was in 2014.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Every time he sees Frances Sternhagen, my husband thinks she is Nancy Marchand. I have to tell him she is not Tony Sopranos' mom, she is Cliff Clavin's mom.

And Brenda Leigh Johnson's mama on The Closer and Charlotte's ex mother-in-law on Sex And The City, among many other roles!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

In the Season 1 Episode, Carter's father is said to be named Roland.  Carter's brother was named Bobby which, of course, could've been another family name, perhaps their maternal grandfather.  In later seasons, when we saw Carter's father, he was called Jack; so there's a continuity issue there.  Another continuity issue occurred when Carter's grandfather died and his first name was given as Jonathan since, of course, that meant he wasn't John Carter, Sr. and Carter couldn't have been the third one after him.  Then again, probably the biggest Carter family mystery is what became of Carter's sister who was mentioned twice in Season 1.  Carter's parents visited her in Switzerland and she later came from Paris for his graduation; no explanation given as to why she was bopping around between European countries either.  She was never heard from again.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Then again, probably the biggest Carter family mystery is what became of Carter's sister who was mentioned twice in Season 1

That, I do remember. Maybe she ran off with the other Cunningham brother, Chuck, from Happy Days! (I was 3 when that show premiered, so I didn't see first-hand, maybe repeats, but I read there was a third [oldest] kid that just vanished!)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, voiceover said:

Here's a general survey to distract from today's repeat (ugh, Weaver v Lewis; even when I found Susan annoying, I was always on her side in this):

Favorite desk clerk?

Mine: Randi.  Because you never knew what to expect!  Ms "Malicious Mischief", indeed.

Randi is my favorite, too.

5 hours ago, voiceover said:

Favorite desk clerk?

Oddly enough, Frank.

Although I liked Randi and Jerry a lot, they were both of Forced Quirk lineage.  Frank was just a curmudgeonly retired cop, with a secret soft side.  He started out about as bigoted as Romano, but his mind broadened in a way Romano's never did.  The way he lit up when he recognized Rachel when she came for her med school interview was everything.

Edited by starri
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Plus they didn't just kill her off, they had Abby's brother take a drunken pee in front of everyone and then fall into her grave in the middle of her funeral.

That might have been an even bigger jump the shark moment for the show than the helicopter's vendetta against Romano, honestly.

Edited by Sticker Shock
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Sticker Shock said:

Plus they didn't just kill her off, they had Abby's brother take a drunken pee in front of everyone and then fall into her grave in the middle of her funeral.

That might have been an even bigger jump the shark moment for the show than the helicopter's vendetta against Romano, honestly.

At the very least, I appreciated that moment because it lampshaded how Carter had lost his dignity and credibility through his pursuing the dreadful, selfish Abby as a romantic partner.

When I look back at the show, Carter's trajectory post-season 4 just depresses me. And I have to agree that having him marry a woman who shuts off after the death of her child, like Kem did, was an unnecessarily mean mirroring of Carter's own mother. He really didn't get a good swing of the bat when it came to love interests. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, starri said:

Oddly enough, Frank.

Although I liked Randi and Jerry a lot, they were both of Forced Quirk lineage.  Frank was just a curmudgeonly retired cop, with a secret soft side.  He started out about as bigoted as Romano, but his mind broadened in a way Romano's never did.  The way he lit up when he recognized Rachel when she came for her med school interview was everything.

I am debating Frank vs. Randi. I liked both. I loved how Randi just had these out of nowhere lines --you never knew when they would pop up. There is one episode where someone makes a reference (I think) to it being harder to crashing the White House and Randi tosses out an offhand "that's not that hard." You just never knew what her background fully was. But, I do agree, it was kind of Forced Quirk. And Frank did have that curmudgeonly thing down.

• Love 3

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the hubby and I are brand new to E.R. and we are hooked. Hooked so much so that hubby did not want to wait around for POP to start airing season 7 so he went and bought the entire series on DVD. At our own pace, we are currently watching Season 7. Plus, for some reason, when POP airs the seasons, they have episodes missing and we have questions, such as what happened to Jerry? why was Carter living with Weaver?  Thankfully, there was a wonderful person on this thread who explained Carter/Weaver, but you shouldnt have to do that. If POP says they have every episode, then air every episode of the season...its crazy!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Happy Belly said:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the hubby and I are brand new to E.R. and we are hooked. Hooked so much so that hubby did not want to wait around for POP to start airing season 7 so he went and bought the entire series on DVD. At our own pace, we are currently watching Season 7. Plus, for some reason, when POP airs the seasons, they have episodes missing and we have questions, such as what happened to Jerry? why was Carter living with Weaver?  Thankfully, there was a wonderful person on this thread who explained Carter/Weaver, but you shouldnt have to do that. If POP says they have every episode, then air every episode of the season...its crazy!

The episode where Carter decided to rent from Weaver has been shown on Pop at least once this summer as has the eppy where she gets promoted and tells him he has to move out.  I've seen them both.  A lot of these eppies are so jam packed with small but important scenes that it is easy to miss a detail or two.

• Love 1

I've not been watching the more recent run throughs of season 1-6 on Pop but the first time through, they showed all the episodes, including the one where he first ends up renting from Weaver. Earlier in the thread we talked about one of her best lines (to me)--where she tells him if he sees anything in her music collection he'd like to listen to-- and you think she'll say "go ahead" --but of course Kerry says to ask her first and goes on about how she had to make that a rule. So Kerry.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:58 PM, BooksRule said:

I just posted this information on the Small Talk forum, but Pop Channel is showing 'ER' starting with the pilot episode tomorrow (Saturday).  I don't know if they've been showing it or this is new for them, but I'm looking forward to seeing those episodes I haven't seen in years.  I know there will be a lot of 'I forgot about that!' or 'I don't remember that person being on the show!'

And--after reading the comments above--it looks like 'Blizzard' is scheduled to air on April 1 (4pm CST) and 'Love's Labor Lost' on April 7 (3pm CST).

Just feel like noting that this forum was on page 1 with no real posts since 2016, when in March BooksRule kicked things off by noticing Pop was starting to run these--and now we're on page 21.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Happy Belly said:

Plus, for some reason, when POP airs the seasons, they have episodes missing

They didn't skip any during the first rotation of seasons one through six, and I didn't see any posts about them doing so on the second rotation.  You may be thinking of the Tuesday night or Saturday marathons, because, as far as I know, the weekday airings go in order, without skipping.

• Love 1