Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Derailed

yeswedo

When Mike takes a humanitarian case with the potential to jeopardize firm business, Harvey must decide how much to rein in his associate. Meanwhile, Jessica wrestles with the distance she’s been forced to put between herself and Jeff Malone. And Louis fights to get the respect a name partner deserves.

At this point the show has to end with the firm coming crashing down.  Donna impersonates someone from the NTSB to illegally obtain evidence, add that into Mike's secret, and Donna knowingly destroying evidence (she didn't know it was false at the time) in a legal matter and getting hired back before it was proven to be false.  The firm's got to collapse at the end of the show.

• Love 2

I think Pearson, Spector, Litt should hire a skywriter to say, "Mike Ross isn't really a lawyer" because at this point they are just telling everyone.

Also, this Donna storyline was done 2 years ago. I may not have gone to Harvard Law School, but I know a show running out of storylines when I see one.

Edited by Athena5217
  • Love 3

Was it just me, or was the direction/cinematography in a few scenes... off-putting? Particularly the one in the morning in an office, where Mike and Donna are talking about how he has 24 hours, etc. etc. right before Donna does another illegal act? The direction in that scene was honestly a bit nauseating.

I am still entertained by this show most of the time, in large part because I just cannot get enough of the beauty that is Gabriel Macht.  Good lord, I could watch that man walk around in a suit (or do just about anything else) all day. If he were just a bit younger, he would have made a perfect Christian Grey in my opinion. 

Anyway, I will say the “Mike’s secret” thing is getting old.  I have always wondered – why hasn’t Mike actually been in law school this whole time?  He could have been going at night or whenever, actually gotten his law degree, and that way only a few people would have ever found out.  Is that just a stupid idea?   Has this ever been brought up on the show?

I am OVER Louis Litt and the completely immature way he is handling this named partner thing.  I know, Louis is anything but mature.  Still, it was funny a few episodes ago, now it's just annoying.  I want to slap him and yell at him to just GET OVER IT!!!

Also:  1) Does the show get paid for every profanity they can work in to the script?  And 2) Do the actors take classes on how to say each one with the most emphasis and dramatic inflection they can possibly manage?

Just wondering because it seems like a big YES to both.

Edited by cam3150
  • Love 1

I'm slowly losing interest if and when they don't get back to the legal profession and some interesting lawsuits.

Suits is like several other USA shows that I liked, Burn Notice and White Collar. Both were excellent to watch until the writers ran out of decent story lines and then both got very convoluted, much like Suits is now.

Edited by CaptainCranky
  • Love 1

At this point the show has to end with the firm coming crashing down. Donna impersonates someone from the NTSB to illegally obtain evidence, add that into Mike's secret, and Donna knowingly destroying evidence (she didn't know it was false at the time) in a legal matter and getting hired back before it was proven to be false. The firm's got to collapse at the end of the show.

This so needs to happen. At this point, the only character I dislike as much as Mike is Donna. Neither one ever learns from all the wrong they do and all the fall-out it causes. They literally are the people who need to have brick buildings come crumbling down around them and they probably still wouldn't get it because their heads are that far up their own asses. This is why Donna got caught because the thought that she is nowhere near as good or as smart as she thinks she is would never occur to her. For all her "I'm so beyond awesome" talk, she doesn't seem to ever truly think things through.

While I hate seeing Jessica get dumped, if that scene marks the end of Jeff, I'm thrilled because DBW can't act his way out of a paper bag and at the end of the day, his pretty only goes so far once you realize that his true pretty is pretty wooden in the acting department.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 2

What Donna did was like a bad plot from a sitcom.  Is she really so stupid that she wouldn't realize that there might be cameras there?  Or that impersonating a federal employee might be pretty illegal?

And I don't even know why she got the documents in the first place, since it won't help their case.  She got them illegally, so they aren't admissible and yeah, they have him on record saying they didn't replace the sensors, but so what?  If they were going to withhold or falsify the documents during discovery, what makes makes Harvey and Mike think they won't do it anyway?

One of the only good things about this episode is hopefully Jeff will go to Paris and never, ever come back.  Every character I've ever seen DBW play has been exactly the same; angry, bitter, and self-righteous and it's annoying.

• Love 2

I am still entertained by this show most of the time, in large part because I just cannot get enough of the beauty that is Gabriel Macht.  Good lord, I could watch that man walk around in a suit (or do just about anything else) all day. 

I know how you feel. I can't get enough of Gina Torres. I've got to admit, I rewound the scene were she walks into Harvey's office wearing that grey dress. Yowza! (And having Tricia Helfer on this episode didn't hurt.)

Suits is like several other USA shows that I liked, Burn Notice and White Collar. Both were excellent to watch until the writers ran out of decent story lines and then both got very convoluted, much like Suits is now.

At least White Collar's final season was pretty good, although the ending was a tiny bit bumpy.

i have been catching-up with the show, watching online. This whole second half of the season has turned on the payback for dishonesty. They got the evil woman from Burn Notice to play the corporate lawyer (Evan Smith) for Liberty Rail. It was obvious when Jeff and Louis were at the bar that Jeff was gonna find out that Jessica had lied to him.

All in All, Derailed was a reasonably good episode. I do think the show will turn in on itself...

Edited by DeepRunner

I just watched the show and thank God they are getting back to lawsuits even with a few added twists to the show. Jeff leaving is a plus and Louis being the normal Louis is good.

As for Donna and the ill gotten report. In the real world the plaintiff getting sealed records would be a big issue not unlike the report Donna got. One would think Harvey and Mike will make that an issue in the final show for the season.

The implication was that Jeff and Jessica had not told each other "I love you" before now.  This confirms my belief that Jeff is just a whiney baby man - getting all huffy because Jessica doesn't let him know every little detail about the law firm (that she started and runs and he just started working at) even though their relationship wasn't even close enough for an "I love you"? It is not unreasonable to expect complete honesty about the work history of someone you are in love with, but it is unreasonable to expect it from someone your are just dating.  

Well, on the plus side, Jeff broke up with Jessica before she told him the real secret.  Something tells me that guy wouldn't have been able to keep it a secret.  

Another plus - Jeff may be off the show - yay! Although, given the way this show has evolved into "The Secret That Haunts Their Every Move Show," they may turn him into vindictive ex who will try relentlessly to find out the real secret.  Ugh.

• Love 2

Did Donna really break the law or just outsmarted a stupid clerk?  She never claimed anything nor produced fake documents. Were they not violating the law by withholding evidence in a trial?

She impersonated someone with the NTSB.  That's a felony right there.

• Love 2

Did Donna really break the law or just outsmarted a stupid clerk?  She never claimed anything nor produced fake documents. Were they not violating the law by withholding evidence in a trial?

Donna stated "Ever hear of the NTSB?"

Which to a person in a legal records department, would indicate that they are a government employee/official.

Of course, the receptionist is going to be fired for not checking her ID. But Donna doesn't care.

• Love 2
I could get her off on this and not even a lawyer.  All I would need to ask the jury is "Ever heard of the FBI?" doesn't mean I'm an agent.  This is a non-issue.

Maybe not.  Place and time of statement made.  Reasonable interpretation.  Actions that followed utterance.  And ... context is everything.

I think Donna could be in a whole lot of trouble.  Mostly due to her own hubris, though. 

Actually, I think doing this was out of character for Donna.  There's no way the Donna of seasons past wouldn't know this was a dumb ass move.  So I blame the writers.  Something I've been doing more and more this year.

Edited by amaranta

Ugh! Doesn't this law firm ever do anything lawfully or "win" any cases outright? It's exhausting watching one screw up after another.* Forget suspense - give me some expertise, or I'm out. 

*It's the same reason I stopped watching Covert Affairs - Annie never seemed to be able to do anything right.

• Love 1

Lol Donna, for all of these years working for the DA and at PHL (or whatever else their names at the time), you would think she should know some of the basic law "stuffs" already...

Poor Harvey, Jessica has not left for Paris yet and he managed to get a heap of !!SHIT!!!! (TM USA channel) dumped on the firm.

Ugh! Doesn't this law firm ever do anything lawfully or "win" any cases outright? It's exhausting watching one screw up after another.* Forget suspense - give me some expertise, or I'm out. 

*It's the same reason I stopped watching Covert Affairs - Annie never seemed to be able to do anything right.

Gah, watching Annie Walker was like seeing Mr. Magoo try to be James Bond.

Your post also make me wonder when the last time that the Alphabet Soup Law Firm actually won a case without having to lie, steal, coerce, or threaten anyone.  All I can really remember happening the past two seasons is bitching and moaning about interoffice crap.

• Love 1
On ‎21‎.‎2‎.‎2015 at 6:55 PM, needschocolate said:

The implication was that Jeff and Jessica had not told each other "I love you" before now.  This confirms my belief that Jeff is just a whiney baby man - getting all huffy because Jessica doesn't let him know every little detail about the law firm (that she started and runs and he just started working at) even though their relationship wasn't even close enough for an "I love you"? It is not unreasonable to expect complete honesty about the work history of someone you are in love with, but it is unreasonable to expect it from someone your are just dating.  

I think that it's unreasonably not able to differ between work roles and private roles. Just because you are in a relationship, or even married with a doctor, priest, laweyr etc. doesn't mean that you have a right to expect, still less demand that he/she tells all about the work, especially about other people's matters.

Malone acted very unprofessionally, just as Scottie before.