Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: E ʻImi pono (Searching for the Truth)

• Start Topic

Where were they having their V-Day BBQ? I can't imagine any of those guys putting up all of the holiday decorations. It seemed like they were at Grover's house, but then where was his family? I am beginning to think his wife and son don't really exist. It seemed odd that all those men would have a Valentines party; with heart shaped burgers, no less.

Jeez, I didn't realize how big Jerry is; he almost makes Kamekono look svelte-ish. And I think that maybe they shouldn't have Grover and Danny stand next to each other. It really makes Danny look tiny. (Maybe Caan should have that written into his contract.)

• Love 1

Kono's engaged but Adam's missing from V-Day?

Kono was not at the party either.  Maybe she and Adam were off doing their own Valentine's thing, or were just late for the party?

I'm glad Danny is letting Grace grow up some, realizing that all boys don't have an "agenda" or however he phrased it in the Hilton pool.  I liked their conversation where they confessed to each other.  Grace really is a good kid and Danny is finally realizing it.  They must have been at Grover's house, and perhaps his family put up the decorations, and just were not seen.  Since Grover was doing the cooking, that makes sense to me.

Where were they having their V-Day BBQ? I can't imagine any of those guys putting up all of the holiday decorations. It seemed like they were at Grover's house, but then where was his family? I am beginning to think his wife and son don't really exist. It seemed odd that all those men would have a Valentines party; with heart shaped burgers, no less.

Jeez, I didn't realize how big Jerry is; he almost makes Kamekono look svelte-ish. And I think that maybe they shouldn't have Grover and Danny stand next to each other. It really makes Danny look tiny. (Maybe Caan should have that written into his contract.)

Grover's wife exists. She was in the S4 Finale, when Nick Jonas' Ian Wright character kidnapped their daughter, Samantha (who was also in the 1st Ian Wright/Nick Jonas ep earlier in the season, if not at least 1 more S4 ep). Here are the full cast credits for Ep 422 which will show Grover's wife in the ep's cast.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3666890/fullcredits/cast?ref_=m_tt_cl_sc

Ironically, the actress who plays her & the actress who plays Grover's daughter share the same last name, although they aren't related in real life (this was stated by Chi McBride, &/or others connected to the show, in some interviews I remember reading &/or seeing on TV). The actresses who play the Grover family members are only related on the show.

We still haven't seen Grover's previously mentioned son. Of that I'm positive. So, right now, either he's a good deal older than his sister & has his own life & family, he chose to stay in Chicago when his parents & sister moved to Hawaii, or he's not much older than his sister & is attending college somewhere other than in Hawaii. (That's all I've got for why we haven't seen the Grover son yet... Other than Peter Lenkov/the other writers just haven't seen fit to include him in an ep yet; we still have 10 eps this season, including 1 which appears Grover-heavy or Grover-centric--maybe the Grovers' son will be in, or at least be mentioned in, that ep).

Grover's wife exists. She was in the S4 Finale, when Nick Jonas' Ian Wright character kidnapped their daughter, Samantha (who was also in the 1st Ian Wright/Nick Jonas ep earlier in the season, if not at least 1 more S4 ep). Here are the full cast credits for Ep 422 which will show Grover's wife in the ep's cast.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3666890/fullcredits/cast?ref_=m_tt_cl_sc

Ironically, the actress who plays her & the actress who plays Grover's daughter share the same last name, although they aren't related in real life (this was stated by Chi McBride, &/or others connected to the show, in some interviews I remember reading &/or seeing on TV). The actresses who play the Grover family members are only related on the show.

We still haven't seen Grover's previously mentioned son. Of that I'm positive. So, right now, either he's a good deal older than his sister & has his own life & family, he chose to stay in Chicago when his parents & sister moved to Hawaii, or he's not much older than his sister & is attending college somewhere other than in Hawaii. (That's all I've got for why we haven't seen the Grover son yet... Other than Peter Lenkov/the other writers just haven't seen fit to include him in an ep yet; we still have 10 eps this season, including 1 which appears Grover-heavy or Grover-centric--maybe the Grovers' son will be in, or at least be mentioned in, that ep).

We did see a photograph of Grover's son in 4.22. We don't know how old it is of course, but if it's recent he is younger than his sister.

Edited to add:

I rechecked 4.22 ... the photo shows all four of Grover's family in the same shot, so the son is indeed the youngest.

Edited by edmattes76342

Grovers wife and daughter were probably getting the other food and stuff ready inside while Grover did the grilling outside. Someone has to get the plates, silverware, other foods etc. ready.

Grovers son is probably playing video games in his bedroom. Always. He hasn't left his bedroom since they moved in and plugged in his Wii (or whatever). ;-).

I agree that Scott Caan and Chi McBride shouldn't stand next to each other. Chi is almost 1 foot taller than Scott. At least according to imdb they are 5'5" and 6' 4 1/2"

Anyone else half expect Steve to give Danny a Valentines card or something? LOL, I wonder if they make bromance cards?

Yep, I googled them. They do exist.

Edited by Dot Com

We did see a photograph of Grover's son in 4.22. We don't know how old it is of course, but if it's recent he is younger than his sister.

Edited to add:

I rechecked 4.22 ... the photo shows all four of Grover's family in the same shot, so the son is indeed the youngest.

Then, at least theoretically speaking, you'd think we might've also seen Grover's son by now, since he's apparently younger than the character of his sister, Samantha, & should be living in Hawaii with the rest of the family. I sort of get why they cast the daughter 1st--"damsel in distress" potential, & all that--but you'd think they might've cast the son too, by now.

Like I said, there's an ep coming up that's either Grover-centric or Grover-heavy (it deals with more of his backstory from Chicago). I saw a "guest star announcement" for it already; I forget the source but I don't think it was CBS Press Express (which would mean the ep is done & has an airdate already). So maybe we'll finally see, or hear more about, Grover's son in that.

I still don't understand why this forum is not on the main page.  Anyone know how to fix that?

I was also confused about the house...if it were Grover's how is he so much richer than Dano that Dano's kid needs to get rich quick to buy such a nice house?

Mostly though the show just annoyed the hell out of me and ruined the episode with new girl sitting alone with her back to them all while they talked about her.  That was ludicrous and the betting  was disgusting.  Sucked to be her.  On par with a Kono sells lip gloss fantasy as her ambition in life. 

Probably why we haven't seen Grover's son - he's not female and can't be used for lame ass discrimination.

Have we ever seen a law enforcement agent's teenaged son get kidnapped, on any show? I guess without the "drama" of a sexual assault the story isn't seen as interesting. And we all know that boys can't be sexually assaulted in TV World.

It seems as though, in general, single fathers on TV have daughters. I guess for the obligatory daddy's little princess stories. Which is why I don't like the Grace/Danny storyline. Grace has no depth. I was really hoping when she punched that kid in school that there would not have been a "noble" reason behind it. Same with the date this week. Let her be a little bad. Give her some dimension.

I would guess Grover is a good ten years older than Danny. I can believe that he and his wife bought a house in Chicago many years ago and were able to sell it for a profit when they moved to Hawaii, allowing them to put a decent down payment on their current abode. And maybe Mrs. Grover has a well-paying job? I take it Steve's house has been in the family for at least one generation prior to Steve?

As an aside, my parent were living in Honolulu, courtesy of the U.S. Navy, when Hawaii became a state, and they used to have a special Statehood addition of the Honolulu paper from that day. The real estate listings made me question their sanity. Back then you could buy about an acre of ocean view land for about $10,000 dollars, with a house for about $15,000. But, noooo, they decided to move back to Michigan.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2

One of my husband's and my favorite games while watching this show is "That's not [....]." This happens when a place other than where they're filming is listed in a chyron or alluded to verbally OR the characters drive to their destination via a road that is nowhere near their starting or ending points.

This is perfectly understandable, of course, based on the need for scenic shots, film permits, etc., and we appreciate the way O'ahu is showcased, but it's fun to recognize landmarks or neighborhoods and realize, for example, that seaside shot was probably in Kualoa and definitely not in Mililani or wherever.

This episode's most obvious occurrence was when Barkhad Abdi's character picked up the family right in front of the Duke Kahanamoku statue in Waikiki and they asked to be taken to the Royal Hawaiian Center - which is only a block away and in the opposite direction of the one-way street they were on.

I still don't understand why this forum is not on the main page.  Anyone know how to fix that?

I think the moderator in charge originally confused the forum request with the Jack Lord classic version

• Love 1

I think the moderator in charge originally confused the forum request with the Jack Lord classic version

Is there a forum for the classic version? I've never seen 1, & when I requested this forum I made sure to ask for the (2010) designation after the title (like was on TWoP), to be sure the conversation here didn't mingle the classic & reboot versions (again, like on the previous forum).

BW Manilowe can you get it to the main page?  The show is still on the bubble and hiding it is doing it no favors. Even if I disliked the manipulation ending....I do love the show! :)

I read on another thread that shows are only taken off the main page if they are not in season/being shown.*

The Cancellation Bear is marking time waiting for CBS spring rookie premieres. He's already admitted he's got no good way of deciding between The Good Wife, Blue Bloods and Hawaii Five-0 as the next veteran drama (after CSI) that will be canceled to make room for the three rookie dramas they have already renewed (NCIS:NO, Scorpion, Madam Secretary), and the two more they might possibly renew (CSI:Cyber, Battle Creek).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/03/cbs-predictions-which-of-blue-bloods-the-good-wife-hawaii-five-0-will-be-canceled-poll/353390/

Edited by Jlina

I read on another thread that shows are only taken off the main page if they are not in season/being shown.*

Well, Halloween Wars hasn't had a post since November and doesn't seem like it's an ongoing series. I don't think there would be too many howls of protest if it was moved aside for Hawaii 5-0.

BW Manilowe can you get it to the main page? The show is still on the bubble and hiding it is doing it no favors. Even if I disliked the manipulation ending....I do love the show! :)

The Cancellation Bear is marking time waiting for CBS spring rookie premieres. He's already admitted he's got no good way of deciding between The Good Wife, Blue Bloods and Hawaii Five-0 as the next veteran drama (after CSI) that will be canceled to make room for the three rookie dramas they have already renewed (NCIS:NO, Scorpion, Madam Secretary), and the two more they might possibly renew (CSI:Cyber, Battle Creek).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/03/cbs-predictions-which-of-blue-bloods-the-good-wife-hawaii-five-0-will-be-canceled-poll/353390/

I can't do anymore than the rest of you about getting the forum moved to the front page--which is post in whatever thread(s) you're supposed to post in when you want the Mods to add/fix something, or use the "report" function on individual posts to ask for a change/fix.

I don't read the front page anyway; I go straight to the forums. So, honestly, even though I love the show, it really doesn't matter to me if it's on the front page or not.

I also DON'T work for the site, I just post here & I have NO influence! I was just pointing out, for whatever reason, that I was the 1 to request the forum (which any user can do)--because it didn't exist when we moved here--in the 1st place. Because we needed a new place to talk about the show.

As for the freakin' "cancellation bear" pay NO attention to it. Everybody's in an uproar about that damn bear & its alleged predictions practically everywhere I read about the show &, honestly, I'm sick of hearing about "the cancellation bear" & it's alleged predictions for the show's future. Whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen, STUPID bear or not.

For what it's worth, TVLine.com says the show LOOKS GOOD for renewal. And the ONLY people who MAY have any idea at this point if it's continuing beyond S5 are the network execs, not some FICTIONAL bear, or even Michael Ausiello at TVLine (though I'm paying more attention to TVLine than that damned bear at the moment).

Edited by BW Manilowe

As for the freakin' "cancellation bear" pay NO attention to it. Everybody's in an uproar about that damn bear & its alleged predictions practically everywhere I read about the show &, honestly, I'm sick of hearing about "the cancellation bear" & it's alleged predictions for the show's future. Whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen, STUPID bear or not.

For what it's worth, TVLine.com says the show LOOKS GOOD for renewal. And the ONLY people who MAY have any idea at this point if it's continuing beyond S5 are the network execs, not some FICTIONAL bear, or even Michael Ausiello at TVLine (though I'm paying more attention to TVLine than that damned bear at the moment).

This is why I like you.  Agreed.

As for Friday's episode, I enjoyed it because it had the whole group that I love working together.  We FINALLY got some Steve/Danny time in the opening and the closing.  I miss those two in scenes together, although I believe that both are in all episodes from here on out.  So that's a good thing.  Note:  I don't think the idea of butter in coffee sounds even remotely appealing.  I'll stick with my creamer.  

I was thrilled to see that everyone got some airtime but that most of the scenes were devoted to the Five O team.  I loved seeing Jerry and Max as well.  My issue is the new medical examiner.  Can anyone explain her purpose??  She sucks up airtime that can go to any other character.  I didn't mind her being off on her own because I couldn't figure out why she was at the picnic in the first place.  When did she become so tight with the group?  I would have preferred to see Kono than her (and no, I don't even know her name).  Does anyone know that Kono and Adam are engaged?  I'm guessing "no" at this point.

I thought the Danny/Gracie scenes were great, and I love that Danny confessed his "lie" to his daughter as she confessed hers.  It's wonderful that the trust between them hasn't been destroyed.  The actress playing Gracie is really growing up.  As for the warlord story, I wish it had more of a build up.  The wrap up of it all and the confrontation seemed too neat, but I still enjoyed those scenes.  Then again, logically, speaking, if he had been living on the island for years, he wouldn't have had this major terrorist act all planned out.  A car bomb and some tourist hostages make sense.  

My gripe with the episode is the lack of continuity from preceding episodes:  1) What is happening with Joe and is Steve still spying on him?  2) How come on Valentine's Day, there is no significant conversation between Danny and Steve about Catherine?  Whether people liked her or not (and it doesn't matter either way), storyline wise, Steve had spent the entire five years with her as his love interest, and it's his first Valentine's Day without her.  It would have been nice to just have Danny ask about how Steve is doing.  Those small beats in story are important, imo.  I feel like the major story lines:  Steve losing Catherine, Steve getting tortured by Wo-Fat, and Danny killing the guy who killed his brother has been pushed aside with no follow-up conversations.  I don't need Catherine mentioned a lot at all (if ever again), but it would be nice for someone to just ask how Steve is doing since he pretty much lost everyone in one fell swoop in the last few months (his girlfriend, his mother, his mentor, etc).  Other that those minor issues, I thought the episode was fun and enjoyable.  Just what I like with my Five-O.  

As for those who want a site for the original Hawaii Five O series, I'm sure it can be done.  I thought the original was "okay."  Too wooden and stoic for my taste and very dated dialogue and with roles and attitudes regarding women.  I catch episodes every now and then, but I MUCH prefer this version.  The characters are much more fleshed out.  Different tastes.

Edited by Bishop

I always assumed that the shows that show up on the main forums page were automatically driven by amount of posting traffic and/or whether the show is recapped, and that there just isn't enough forum traffic for 5-0 to make it so you don't have to click on the "and 18 more" or whatever the # for H is.  But what do I know?

I've thought for several seasons now that the makeup of their little fun gatherings were weird.  The oddest was Chin Ho's wedding which as I recall was mostly colleagues.  Didn't Malia have any relatives at all?  And I know Chin Ho and Kono have more than were there....so the Valentine's Day party, while an odd assortment of folk for such a thing, is nothing new.  

Also, why bother carefully forming burgers and cutting American cheese into heart shapes if you're just going to cover them up with a regular round bun?

And it's a little thing, but it irks me when they have an actor for a kid (brother of Patrice) and then the grown up version looks nothing like the kid version.  Their entire skull shape was different, let alone eyebrows, etc. etc.  (The grown actor looked more like he could be Patrice's brother than the kid actor did).

Finally, if I, my husband, and my son caught a taxi, we'd all squeeze in the back, or if it seemed indicated that someone would sit up front, it would be my husband.  I dunno--it seemed weird that the teen daughter was up front.

• Love 1

I sent a pm to an admin.

I think the bear is pretty right on and of those three it'd be a close call, however it has it at 77% renewal too so I'm not worried. Steve can always go back to being a vampire and make me happy!

Edited by Jlina
And I think that maybe they shouldn't have Grover and Danny stand next to each other. It really makes Danny look tiny

No kidding.  Chi McBride even makes Alex look tiny!  Putting him next to Scott Caan is just so jarring.  It makes Scott look like a pre-teen.  Maybe this is something Lenkov does to challenge his production team?  Make jobs for the the mic boom guy and camera guy that much more difficult?

I loved the opening with Steve lovingly preparing the perfect pot of coffee and making enough to share with Danno.  I even think the butter in the coffee was entirely calculated by Steve to "get his goat," knowing that Danny would not fail to notice and rant about it.  One presumes this is not a regular thing Steve does, otherwise I would have to think that Danny already knew Steve took his coffee weird. 

I had exactly the same thought about the taxi!  Uh, if someone has to sit in the front of a taxi next to a stranger, the first choice is never the most vulnerable person in the group, it is usually the biggest.

This is why I like you. Agreed.

As for Friday's episode, I enjoyed it because it had the whole group that I love working together. We FINALLY got some Steve/Danny time in the opening and the closing. I miss those two in scenes together, although I believe that both are in all episodes from here on out. So that's a good thing. Note: I don't think the idea of butter in coffee sounds even remotely appealing. I'll stick with my creamer.

I was thrilled to see that everyone got some airtime but that most of the scenes were devoted to the Five O team. I loved seeing Jerry and Max as well. My issue is the new medical examiner. Can anyone explain her purpose?? She sucks up airtime that can go to any other character. I didn't mind her being off on her own because I couldn't figure out why she was at the picnic in the first place. When did she become so tight with the group? I would have preferred to see Kono than her (and no, I don't even know her name). Does anyone know that Kono and Adam are engaged? I'm guessing "no" at this point.

I thought the Danny/Gracie scenes were great, and I love that Danny confessed his "lie" to his daughter as she confessed hers. It's wonderful that the trust between them hasn't been destroyed. The actress playing Gracie is really growing up. As for the warlord story, I wish it had more of a build up. The wrap up of it all and the confrontation seemed too neat, but I still enjoyed those scenes. Then again, logically, speaking, if he had been living on the island for years, he wouldn't have had this major terrorist act all planned out. A car bomb and some tourist hostages make sense.

My gripe with the episode is the lack of continuity from preceding episodes: 1) What is happening with Joe and is Steve still spying on him? 2) How come on Valentine's Day, there is no significant conversation between Danny and Steve about Catherine? Whether people liked her or not (and it doesn't matter either way), storyline wise, Steve had spent the entire five years with her as his love interest, and it's his first Valentine's Day without her. It would have been nice to just have Danny ask about how Steve is doing. Those small beats in story are important, imo. I feel like the major story lines: Steve losing Catherine, Steve getting tortured by Wo-Fat, and Danny killing the guy who killed his brother has been pushed aside with no follow-up conversations. I don't need Catherine mentioned a lot at all (if ever again), but it would be nice for someone to just ask how Steve is doing since he pretty much lost everyone in one fell swoop in the last few months (his girlfriend, his mother, his mentor, etc). Other that those minor issues, I thought the episode was fun and enjoyable. Just what I like with my Five-O.

As for those who want a site for the original Hawaii Five O series, I'm sure it can be done. I thought the original was "okay." Too wooden and stoic for my taste and very dated dialogue and with roles and attitudes regarding women. I catch episodes every now and then, but I MUCH prefer this version. The characters are much more fleshed out. Different tastes.

I think they brought on the new Medical Examiner--her character name is Dr. Mindy Shaw, played by Amanda Setton who Co-Starred with the late Robin Williams & Sarah Michelle Gellar on The Crazy Ones last season--so they could still have a character of that type around in eps Masi Oka wasn't scheduled for. Was Max invited to/at the barbecue (I don't remember)? If so, they probably invited her 'cause they invited him, & 'cause she may have been new to the islands & not really known anyone to spend time with besides Max & the team.

I think if anyone on the team knows Kono & Adam are engaged, it would probably be Chin since they're cousins & very close. But who knows? In this week's ep it could be painfully obvious the entire team *&* the extended ohana know, & knew before the Valentine's barbecue. It probably just depends on the writer each week & if/how they see fit to mention it.

Oh I'll bet we'll revisit Joe & Catherine--maybe even Doris (physically)--before the end of the season. I'm pretty sure Terry O'Quinn Tweeted, after the Bird Flu ep, Joe would be coming back again this season. But, really, there's only so much you can pack into 42-44 minutes of airtime & not have the story go too off the rails. We probably just have to believe Steve & Danny talked about Cath offscreen. Lenkov even says they can't necessarily fit things we've said we'd like to see in every ep/the time allotted; so we have to play them out in our heads, as it were.

Continuity doesn't necessarily have to mean in the storyline of consecutive eps; it can mean dropping a thread for a couple eps or more, then bringing it back later. Like the old Hawaiian Auntie who caught Kono (& Steve) getting the money to ransom Chin from the bomb collar in S1 & then returned, out of the blue, to set up Kono for that "theft" in the S1 Finale--12 whole eps later.

I liked the original show too--what I saw of it, anyway, which I doubt was every ep, since it was on when I was ages 5-17. It was really good for its time, though stoic, etc., & now "dated". But in comparison with the reboot, the reboot is my preferred version. And I really love that Lenkov's version lets us see the characters more than just "on the job"; they actually have a life this time, something Lenkov said--in interviews, if not S1 DVD extras, as well--he wanted to be sure to include in his version, when he was setting it up (because he didn't like that the original team was all about the work & had very little "play", together or apart). That's actually a big reason why I like the reboot better, it's not just all about the case like the original was.

No kidding.  Chi McBride even makes Alex look tiny!  Putting him next to Scott Caan is just so jarring.  It makes Scott look like a pre-teen.  Maybe this is something Lenkov does to challenge his production team?  Make jobs for the the mic boom guy and camera guy that much more difficult?

There was an interview with Alex where he talked about how big a guy Chi McBride is in real life.  Alex is 6'1" and Chi is like 6'4" or something, and when Chi is sitting down, it's not such a big deal, but when he gets up, Alex was like "He's massive, and I'm suppose to act the tough cop."  It was pretty funny.

I loved the opening with Steve lovingly preparing the perfect pot of coffee and making enough to share with Danno.  I even think the butter in the coffee was entirely calculated by Steve to "get his goat," knowing that Danny would not fail to notice and rant about it.  One presumes this is not a regular thing Steve does, otherwise I would have to think that Danny already knew Steve took his coffee weird.

I loved it too, and I think you're right.  I think Steve does things sometimes just to get a reaction out of Danny, and you know Danny is going to notice it.  lol.

I think they brought on the new Medical Examiner so they could still have a character of that type around in eps Masi Oka wasn't scheduled for. 

What else does he have to do?  It's not like he's in a lot of episodes?  I don't like her on the show for some reason.  She seems like filler to me.

Oh I'll bet we'll revisit Joe & Catherine--maybe even Doris (physically)--before the end of the season. I'm pretty sure Terry O'Quinn Tweeted, after the Bird Flu ep, Joe would be coming back again this season. But, really, there's only so much you can pack into 42-44 minutes of airtime & not have the story go too off the rails. We probably just have to believe Steve & Danny talked about Cath offscreen. Lenkov even says they can't necessarily fit things we've said we'd like to see in every ep/the time allotted; so we have to play them out in our heads, as it were.

I don't agree that he can't devote a few minutes to Danny asking Steve over coffee if he's okay.  It could be a two second sentence, and Steve being Steve would change the subject, but at least the audience would know that Steve is still off-center with the events of the last few months.  There has been NO conversation AT ALL about Wo-Fat since the events of Episode 7.  I don't get that.  I thought there was going to be a PTSD storyline for Steve because realistically, he should have one.  He should at least have an episode or a few scenes.  The guy had his best Seal friend murdered in front of him, then his father, then found out his mother was supposedly murdered, then his mother comes back after neglecting him for 20 years, she sides with his sociopathic pseudo brother over her own son, Catherine dumps him, and then Wo-Fat tortures him twice (this last time was brutal), and yet no reaction from Steve or any comment from anyone else.  It's something that shouldn't happen off screen.

I agree with you that we will see Joe again, but I really need to see some closure with Steve and Doris.  I can let go of any comments about Catherine, but they REALLY need to address the Steve/Doris issue.  He needs to tell her off and then disown her.  I hate how she hides when he tries to find her to ask questions that she SHOULD give him answers to.  So when he finally finds her, I want him to say, "I wanted to find you to tell you to your face that I never want to see you again.  You can go back to wherever it is you have been hiding the last 25 years.  Lose my number.  Forget my name.  My mother died over two decades ago and I have no idea who the hell you are."  Yeah, I have some deep-seated anger towards Doris.

But in comparison with the reboot, the reboot is my preferred version. And I really love that Lenkov's version lets us see the characters more than just "on the job"; they actually have a life this time, something Lenkov said--in interviews, if not S1 DVD extras, as well--he wanted to be sure to include in his version, when he was setting it up (because he didn't like that the original team was all about the work & had very little "play", together or apart). That's actually a big reason why I like the reboot better, it's not just all about the case like the original was.

I agree.  I think the character stories on H5O are done better than any other procedural on tv (NCIS, NCIS LA, Criminal Minds, etc).  Lenkov devotes a lot of time to his character's back stories, and that makes the show a richer show for me as a viewer.  We get the exciting crime stories, but the back stories for the characters are just as rich and dramatic.  It also makes H5O more serial than procedural because of all the back stories for each character, and viewers might not understand who this person is or why Steve or Danny reacted to that person the way they did if they don't keep up with all the episodes.  Sometimes that can be a detriment to new viewers who prefer the show to start and wrap up in one episode without needing to know the backstory.  I think that makes for a lesser show, frankly.  I think people like cookie-cutter shows rather than the deeper shows that take some effort to watch.  Jmo.

Edited by Bishop

Sorry, show was off the forum homepage for some reason. Fixed.

Someone removed the (2010) at the end of the show title for the current version of Hawaii Five-0.

I'm the person who originally requested the show forum. I mentioned the (2010) in my request & that there were very specific reasons for having it at the end of the show title (among them, the "classic" version of the show & the current version are so different that discussions of both in the same thread/forum don't necessarily work &, without the [2010], potential posters may think the area is only for discussion of the old show, not the new version which it's meant to be about).

I get that this isn't TWoP (which is where I came here from), but they saw fit to have a thread for each, separate, version of the show in their Dramas section. They felt the shows were so different that 1 thread wouldn't work, among other things (& I agree).

Could we please have the (2010) back in the show title in the forum? And then, if needed (I don't really see too many people asking for 1, right now), start a separate area for the original show?

Thanks for listening (again). I appreciate it.

• Love 1

Since no one seems to care to talk about the old show nor has ever requested it, I just removed the 2010 version from this title. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other really, so I'm happy to put it back in if it's a big deal (it's not but w/e :) ).

MeTV started airing the original again a few months ago.  I'd occasionally like to comment, but don't want to start a whole forum for it.  It would be nice to have a thread for the original here like on the Dallas forum.