Type keyword(s) to search

Jon Stewart Leaving The Daily Show

Ending one of the most venerable and trusted careers in making a complete mockery of the news, Jon Stewart has announced that he is stepping down as host of The Daily Show. According to sources who were there (some of whom are already passing word along on social media), Stewart let the news slip at the taping of today’s episode, telling those in the audience that he’s retiring. No word yet on when exactly he’s leaving, whether this means he’s ending his time in the anchor chair to focus on being a Serious Movie Director now, or just how much this is Brian Williams’ fault. Presumably all of this information will be revealed in time—and delivered by Stewart himself tonight on your television. We’ll update when we have more.

http://www.avclub.com/article/jon-stewart-says-hes-leaving-daily-show-215070

EDIT:

B9hWCqSIIAA_8vR.jpg

Edited by ApathyMonger

He's our generation's Mark Twain -- hopefully he continues in some way shape or form in the public discourse.

Because this is a tremendous loss.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/11/arts/television/jon-stewart-leaving-daily-show.html?module=Notification&version=BreakingNews&region=FixedTop&action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=29768450&pgtype=Homepage&_r=0

Edited by Captanne

Stewart made TDS into the opinion-maker show of the 2000s, but I can understand if he's feeling ready to move on.  Seeing Colbert do the same may have reinforced that.

Though if there was even an inkling of his wanting to do this recently, the network really should not have let John Oliver go.

• Love 3

I am not a spring chicken. I remember the political satire landscape was vast and empty until Jon Stewart came along followed by Stephen Colbert.  I cannot imagine it returning to the vast empty wasteland again.  I have a sad :(

• Love 2
Wow. What a surprise. :(

It kind of wasn't a big shock to me.  He's been seeming really burned out on a regular basis for the last few years and then just last week, he was interviewing someone and said something that made me sure he was leaving.  It was something like, "I know what you're thinking, you're thinking it's time for me to step down" ....I can't for the life of me remember which guest it was, but it was in last week's roster.  

Anyone else remember it?  As soon as he said it, I figured he'd decided not to renew at the end of his contract, but I didn't think his contract was up for another year.  Yikes. 

(in fetal position, sucking her thumb) No, no... first Colbert, now him? Not even 1 more election year? Any sign of heir apparent? Anyone? Can it be one of the correspondents, if it means finding some reason for this show to stay alive?!? Just take my heart, Jonny-bun, just like what Colbert and Ollie-Scone did to all of us the last two years!! 

(i'm going to cry now)

Edited by The Luvly Junkie
  • Love 1