Type keyword(s) to search

Cameo suggestions

• Start Topic

I thought I'd start a thread where people could post their ideas or mini scripts for Breaking Bad cameos on BCS.

Here is my first offering:

Camera opens on a framed diploma hanging on the wall, it is for a Business degree from UNM in the name of Domingo Molina. In the background we hear a jingle:

Don't let shoppingStrain your brain-o,Just sing this short refrain-o.Our furniture is bueno,Tampico is the name-o"

Domingo is shown working on his PC in the office of Tampico Furniture.  He smiles as he puts the finishing touches on a 5 year budget, forecast and financial plan for Tampico, that he is certain will grow the business exponentially. 

Enter Mr. Molina, Domingo's father and owner of Tampico Furniture.

Mr. Molina (in Spanish with English subtitles) : "Domingo, I need you to do some deliveries and installations today."

Domingo (angrily), "Dad, we've talked about this before.  I'm not a delivery boy, I have a  college degree!"

Mr. Molina:  "Two of my drivers called in sick and the deliveries need to be made!  What am I to do, Domingo?"

Domingo (enraged) : "F--k you, Dad! And, F--k your extended warranties!"  

Domingo begins to storm out , then turns to Mr. Molina grabs his crotch and yells, "Extend this, Dad!"  then storms out. 

Outside the store, Domingo dials his cell phone, someone answers on the other end, "Yeah?"  Domingo replies, "It's Krazy-8, I'm in, Tuco."

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 1

I'm totally anticipating the first time Saul begins representing the Vamanos Pest guys and "pulling their chestnuts out of the fire" in court. Meth Damon not working for them yet would be a plus.

Also the motel room/hospital room painting Walt noticed - no reason, other than wanting to be a total hipster and point it out to people.

• Love 1

Yes, I'm fully expecting a Bogdan appearance at some point!

Aside from the obvious cameos I'd like to see (Gus, Jesse, Walt)...  is there any doubt that Skinny Pete and Badger will materialize?  I almost think it would be a crime to not have them on the show, and they were surely involved in all kinds of shady shenanigans.  Plus, Skinny Pete knew Tuco.

Jane, in one of her junkie phases, could end up in trouble with the law and show up somewhere.

To me, a Hank and/or Gomez appearance would make a lot of sense, story-wise, because I would have to assume that at some point one of the two of them was involved in a case that Saul was somehow involved in -- but I don't think Dean Norris is interested in appearing, so we'll see.

I am really hoping for Hector (with or without his bell) and the cousins.

Maybe Ted Beneke??

You know who would be amusing to see?  That tweaked out meth couple from Peekaboo, "the ATM episode" (the woman had that horrible, weird, cackle-laugh), when they still presumably looked normal.  They must have been in trouble with the law and needed an attorney at some point!

Here are two BB cast members that I can't picture in a cameo:  Gretchen and Elliott.  Is there any way they could be worked in somewhere?  It doesn't seem like they'd fit into the framework of BCS, but I may be forgetting some detail that could connect them.

Edited by Sherry67

I think we may see someone getting a car wash...with a bushy eyebrowed guy at the cash register.

Bogdan would be great. Maybe Jimmy could represent a client who is suing him for unfair employment practices or maybe "KEN WINS" after his car is damaged at A1 Car Wash.

BTW, I wonder if Bogdan ended up buying A1 back, in a DEA auction, for a fraction of what the Whites paid him for it.

Yes, Spooge and Skank would be great clients. Maybe on their first drug bust, looking much, less horrifying. Skank could be pregnant with Spooge Jr.

• Love 2

I would really love to see Saul represent Jane on some kind of drug thing.  I miss Jane, and adore that actress.

She was stupid to threaten to tell Walt's family though.  Druggies, what'r'ya gonna do wit 'em?

• Love 5

I want more Gale! I could live without Walt and Jesse, other than maybe a random background appearance from Walt or getting some news of Jesse's fate once the show switches to sequel mode (if that happens at all), but I definitly want to see more of Gale. Guy was just too funny and likeable too not bring back. He also had no connection to Saul. Only question is how could he possibly get in legal trouble? He seems to be like someone who doesn't even have unpaid parking tickets, let alone anything serious. Well, other than cooking meth on an industrial scale of course. 

• Love 3

Jimmy defends Marie Schraeder (alias Charlotte Blattner and Tori Costner) on theft and criminal impersonation charges, unbeknownst to her real and imaginary husbands.

He negotiates an adjournment on contemplation of dismissal, with the condition that she undergo court ordered counseling with Dave, who just happens to be an old classmate of Jimmy's at the University of American Samoa.

• Love 1

I don't even have to see the character having a "story". Imagine seeing Saul/Jimmy buying something at a local mini mart and Jessie's in the background buying a Slurpee and some smokes. Or he shows up at the hospital or clinic and Marie walks by in the background taking a patient to get scanned. Those "tidbits" would just be amazing. 

• Love 3

The way the series opened with Saul in Omaha gives the impression that part of the story of the show is how he got there. Of course, we know a lot already from Breaking Bad, but perhaps we don't know the whole story in that final leg. Perhaps there will be an episode or two set within the BB timeline, showing us something from Saul's timeline. That would be the place to put in Walt or Jesse cameos, though it's not necessary. Robert Forster's disappearer would be nice, showing us Saul's end of it.

It seems inevitable that Kuby and Huell will eventually become regulars. And one of the first tidbits we learned about Saul was he represented Emilio Koyama... good chance to bring him and Krazy 8 back.

• Love 3

...is there any doubt that Skinny Pete and Badger will materialize?....

One very happy reason that it might be hard for them to appear is that, according to IMDb, both Matt Jones (Badger) and Charles Baker (Skinny Pete) are very busy with other projects. But I would think a short scene filmed indoors wouldn't take too much of their time. Maybe they would be crouching behind a vending machine while Tuco's posse shoots up the place (we would see the posse and then cut away to Badger and Skinny Pete, just hearing the mayhem continue in the background) and one would just say to the other, "I think we'd better call Saul." Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

One very happy reason that it might be hard for them to appear is that, according to IMDb, both Matt Jones (Badger) and Charles Baker (Skinny Pete) are very busy with other projects. But I would think a short scene filmed indoors wouldn't take too much of their time. Maybe they would be crouching behind a vending machine while Tuco's posse shoots up the place (we would see the posse and then cut away to Badger and Skinny Pete, just hearing the mayhem continue in the background) and one would just say to the other, "I think we'd better call Saul."

That would be a lot of fun!  I think that a lot of those very brief appearances (not full episodes like Tuco got) could be very entertaining, if placed within the episodes carefully -- not a cameo in every single episode, of course, but just a couple per season.

Raymond Cruz got the necessary permission to appear in Better Call Saul as Tuco, even though he was working elsewhere.  He filmed his scenes over one weekend, I think he said.  So I would imagine that it would be tricky to pull off for Matt and Charles, but not impossible (hopefully).

When I mentioned wanting to see Hector (with or without his bell) and the cousins in my above post, I should have also added that it could be amusing to not actually see Hector, but to just hear his bell ringing off camera.  It would just kind of be a nod to Hector without him being onscreen.   For example, maybe the cousins are in a room together, being menacing, and we hear the telltale 'ding ding ding' off-camera.  Then the cousins give each other that look that they gave each other a lot, and they go to Hector's side (off screen).

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

...When I mentioned wanting to see Hector (with or without his bell) and the cousins in my above post, I should have also added that it could be amusing to not actually see Hector, but to just hear his bell ringing off camera.  It would just kind of be a nod to Hector without him being onscreen.   For example, maybe the cousins are in a room together, being menacing, and we hear the telltale 'ding ding ding' off-camera.  Then the cousins give each other that look that they gave each other a lot, and they go to Hector's side (off screen).

Yes. They could maybe show some actual BrBa flashbacks/footage of Tio first.
  • Love 1

Was Hector fully disabled in 2002?

My guess is that he was not, although maybe we will find out more details about that somewhere along the line (in BCS).  The imaginary 'ding ding ding' scenario that I played out in my mind (with the cousins) could take place later than 2002, but before the time when we first met Hector in BB.

• Love 1

I think they could work out a scene where Chuck's law firm partner firm is used by Gretchen and Elliott to screw Walter out of a future fortune when Walter leaves Grey Matter, Inc. That could be a nice touch.. 

• Love 2

This may be the wrong thread for it but I really want them to be careful about cameos.  In fact, I think they can only get away with two or three throughout the run of their series.  And they should really make them cameos instead of guest appearances. 

I think they could work out a scene where Chuck's law firm partner firm is used by Gretchen and Elliott to screw Walter out of a future fortune when Walter leaves Grey Matter, Inc. That could be a nice touch.. 

Except wouldn't that be rewriting established Breaking Bad history? I thought WW left well before this show is taking place and Gretchen and Elliott didn't try to screw WW out of anything. WW screwed himself.  

• Love 1

This may be the wrong thread for it but I really want them to be careful about cameos. In fact, I think they can only get away with two or three throughout the run of their series. And they should really make them cameos instead of guest appearances.

Except wouldn't that be rewriting established Breaking Bad history? I thought WW left well before this show is taking place and Gretchen and Elliott didn't try to screw WW out of anything. WW screwed himself.

I think the circumstances around Walt and Grey Matter were a bit ambiguous.

Walt clearly thinks he was screwed, though that might have been Heisenberg talking.

I could see that even if he agreed that he sold his interest in the company, for $5,000, he might have believed he was entitled to his share of royalties from the patents he helped develop. Remember how he told his class the story of H. Tracy Hall, who invented synthetic diamonds while working for GE and only got a $10 savings bond out of it?

• Love 1

...Except wouldn't that be rewriting established Breaking Bad history? I thought WW left well before this show is taking place and Gretchen and Elliott didn't try to screw WW out of anything. WW screwed himself.

Yes, but they did pay him $5,000 for his share when he decided to leave, so if that occurred at the same time as BCS, we could see Saul advising them and drawing up the agreement. But I can't find a timeline showing what year Walt left Gray Matter or how long he was a high school teacher.

But I'm pretty sure Walt left Gray Matter before he even met Skylar, and they have a teenage son at the beginning of BrBa, so, yeah, Gretchen and Elliott are more likely to appear as wealthy neighbors/friends of the Kettlemans if at all.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Yes, but they did pay him $5,000 for his share when he decided to leave, so if that occurred at the same time as BCS, we could see Saul advising them and drawing up the agreement. But I can't find a timeline showing what year Walt left Gray Matter or how long he was a high school teacher. Anyone else?

I think it was before he met Skyler so it would have been early 1990s at the latest, and probably much earlier, as Walt Jr was born around 1992.

I think the other poster was thinking of a flashback showing Hamlin drawing up the deal to screw Walt, back in the 1980s or early 1990s.

I would really love to see Saul represent Jane on some kind of drug thing. I miss Jane, and adore that actress.

She was stupid to threaten to tell Walt's family though. Druggies, what'r'ya gonna do wit 'em?

Wouldn't Jane be far too young at this point in time? I distinctly recall they said she was only 18 when she died. So aren't we talking approx. 8 years prior to all the BB events ?

I want to see Robert Forster (the guy that wipes out identities) & how Jimmy got to know him !!!!

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 1

I think the circumstances around Walt and Grey Matter were a bit ambiguous.

Walt clearly thinks he was screwed, though that might have been Heisenberg talking.

Walt always thought he was screwed but I thought it was pretty firmly established that he chose to walk away because he didn't like the way things were going.  He chose the buyout before they became billionaires. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I was more thinking of a flashback with Hamlin, and maybe Chuck, back in the early 90s or so, as Walter is negotiating his exit from Grey Matter, holding out for something more than the lousy 5k, that eventually would have been worth a lot of money. Hamlin, Machiavellian lawyer that he is, recognizes Walter's personality type, goads him into a wounded pride temper tantrum, through some quasi unethical acts,  over Chuck's objection. Walter storms out with his pittance of a severance, Chuck gets mad at his unethical partner, and a rift is opened with Hamlin. It's even better if Chuck was the guy who brought Gretchen and Elliott in as clients, putting the law firm on a prosperous path, with Gretchen and Elliott's burgeoning mega-fortune.

Making Cranston look 25 years younger in a closeup might be pretty tough, so it would take some creativity.

Jane was 18?  Seriously? 

I really don't think so.  Yikes!

Her dad kept talking about her being in and out of rehab.  I guess it's possible, but she didn't look, or sound, like an 18 year old to me.

I really don't want Walt's story on this show.  At all.  Maybe later, or him walking by in a background scene, or polishing someone's tires at the car wash, but not STORY.  It needs to make it's own way first though. 

From what I recall of Grey Matter, and the info was kind of skimpy.

1.  There was some kind of sexual or relationship involvement between Gretchen and Walt, while Gretchen was involved with Elliot, and no idea if Walt was with Skylar yet. 

2.  Walt felt guilty.

3.  It caused rifts in such a small company.

4.  Walt was out (maybe voluntarily, maybe guilt, maybe pressure.)  Got $5000

5.  Walt's contributions to the content that made Grey Matter a billion dollar company WERE significant, and dismissed by G & E in that final show TV thing.

6.  Gretchen and Elliot obviously felt guilt.  They were obscenely wealthy, and could have, at any time, paid Walt more and told him "without you, this would have never happened, please at least take a small cut, because without you, we wouldn't be here."  Say $1 million.  Not charity, "earned."  They chose not to.

7.  As Walt became better in cutthroat business, he finally accepted how screwed he'd been by them, but more, they were the means to get the money to his kids.

I'm not spoiler tagging that, because the whole topic is obviously going to be mostly about Breaking Bad characters.

• Love 2

Jane was 26 in Breaking Bad, so her character would be about 20 years old in the current BCS timeline (it's six years before BB started... the entire events of the show BB took place over two years, but seasons 1-5 took place over only one year.  So Jane's part in the story was likely only a few months after the start of the story in 2008).

• Love 2

Wouldn't Jane be far too young at this point in time? I distinctly recall they said she was only 18 when she died. So aren't we talking approx. 8 years prior to all the BB events ?

I want to see Robert Forster (the guy that wipes out identities) & how Jimmy got to know him !!!!

Robert Forster's 'disappearer' character must have had a whole bunch of interesting tales to tell from his line of work.  He needs his own series too!

I don't know accurate this page is, but it says that Jane was 26 when she died -- http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Jane_Margolis.  That would make more sense -- she seemed a bit older than Jesse and older than 18.  So if she popped up in 2002 (which is when BCS is currently taking place) -- in trouble for drugs or something -- she'd have to be somewhere in the range of 19 or 20-ish.

If Better Call Saul stays in 2002 and never moves ahead, then Jane may or may not be too young to be played by Krysten Ritter (how is Krysten holding up these days?  Does she still look young?).  I don't think that the series will stay set in 2002 for the duration, though (if it lasts past Season 2).  Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould have said that (and I'm paraphrasing) the field is wide open to jump around in the timeline, including flashing forward -- maybe flashing forward just a year or two and maybe flashing all the way forward to Saul's post-Heisenberg life -- and flashing back, or flashing back even further than 2002.  Or, the show could just naturally move from 2002 to 2003 to 2004, etc.   As long as they don't try to 'flash sideways' as Lost did during one of its particularly confusing stages, it should be pretty easy to follow BCS' time jumps.

Of course, they're not going to flash forward or flash back just for the sole purpose of working in a 10-second cameo (Marie sneakily shoplifting in the background or something) -- it would have to make sense in the context of the scene/episode, and it would have to be worth everyone's time to do it.  So Jane may not be an important enough character in the pantheon of Breaking Bad characters to show in the period of time that spans 2002-2009, but it would be good to see her and her character was an addict...so occasional legal help might have been needed.

Edited by Sherry67

Jane was 18?  Seriously? 

I really don't think so.  Yikes!

Her dad kept talking about her being in and out of rehab.  I guess it's possible, but she didn't look, or sound, like an 18 year old to me.

I really don't want Walt's story on this show.  At all.  Maybe later, or him walking by in a background scene, or polishing someone's tires at the car wash, but not STORY.  It needs to make it's own way first though. 

1.  There was some kind of sexual or relationship involvement between Gretchen and Walt, while Gretchen was involved with Elliot, and no idea if Walt was with Skylar yet. 

2.  Walt felt guilty.

5.  Walt's contributions to the content that made Grey Matter a billion dollar company WERE significant, and dismissed by G & E in that final show TV thing.

6.  Gretchen and Elliot obviously felt guilt.  They were obscenely wealthy, and could have, at any time, paid Walt more and told him "without you, this would have never happened, please at least take a small cut, because without you, we wouldn't be here."  Say $1 million.  Not charity, "earned."  They chose not to.

7.  As Walt became better in cutthroat business, he finally accepted how screwed he'd been by them, but more, they were the means to get the money to his kids.

I'm not spoiler tagging that, because the whole topic is obviously going to be mostly about Breaking Bad characters.

I think that is mostly accurate.  I'm not sure if it is considered BB canon, but the actress who played Gretchen said in an interview that she came from a very, wealthy family and Walt became very intimidated by her family's wealth during a 4th of July weekend with them, and left her. 

Too bad Walt didn't have a lawyer like Saul back then.  He could've slapped Gretchen with a sexual harassment suit or something. :)

As for whether G&E screwed Walt, I think it is a bit unclear.  I'd imagine with a part owner of such a small company leaving so abruptly, under emotional circumstances, the terms of the $5,000 buyout might not have been crystal clear.  I could see Walt thinking he still retained rights to the patents. 

He clearly expressed that he thought they ripped him off in his lunch with Gretchen, though she said something like "You can't possibly see it that way.".  What I find more convincing is that in Felina he tells them, "Cheer up beautiful people.  This is where you get  to make it right.".   I think he was in sort of a post-Heisenberg state at that point,  and was thinking much more rationally, yet he still believed they had wronged him. 

Edited by Bryce Lynch

If Better Call Saul stays in 2002 and never moves ahead, then Jane may or may not be too young to be played by Krysten Ritter (how is Krysten holding up these days?  Does she still look young?).  I don't think that the series will stay set in 2002 for the duration, though (if it lasts past Season 2).  Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould have said that (and I'm paraphrasing) the field is wide open to jump around in the timeline, including flashing forward -- maybe flashing forward just a year or two and maybe flashing all the way forward to Saul's post Heisenberg life -- and flashing back, or flashing back even further than 2002.  Or, the show could just naturally move from 2002 to 2003 to 2004, etc.   As long as they don't try to 'flash sideways' as Lost did during one of its particularly confusing stages, it should be pretty easy to follow BCS' time jumps.

The age thing is an unavoidable factor with the whole show, with it being set six years before Breaking Bad.  Saul's age when his character was introduced, probably 2008 in the show's timeline and 2009-10 at the time of his vanishing to Omaha, is a few years short of Odenkirk's actual age, and he's playing the character 6 years younger.  So Jimmy is probably a good 12-13 years younger than Odenkirk (that's to say nothing of the opening flashback, which, given the jumbo mobile phone, was another 10-15 years prior).  We just gotta switch on the suspension of disbelief for that because there's nothing the show can do about it short of spending a bunch of money on makeup or special effects, which is impractical.  I'd have no problem accepting Kristen Ritter as a early 20 something even if she doesn't look it... same with Badger, Skinny Pete, Jesse, or anyone else who ends up popping up on the show.

• Love 2

Robert Forster's 'disappearer' character must have had a whole bunch of interesting tales to tell from his line of work.  He needs his own series too!

Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould have said that (and I'm paraphrasing) the field is wide open to jump around in the timeline, including flashing forward -- maybe flashing forward just a year or two and maybe flashing all the way forward to Saul's post-Heisenberg life -- and flashing back, or flashing back even further than 2002.  Or, the show could just naturally move from 2002 to 2003 to 2004, etc.   As long as they don't try to 'flash sideways' as Lost did during one of its particularly confusing stages, it should be pretty easy to follow BCS' time jumps.

They already flashed back before 2002 in episode 3, "Nacho." They telegraphed this with Chuck's bigass cellphone, and his & Jimmy's wigs. (Plus the fact that Chuck would even use a cellphone and leave the house.) And they discussed Jimmy's mom (I guess she's Chuck's mom, too?) still being alive.

Nthing Robert Forster. He was one of the best things about Intruders.

• Love 1

2.  Walt felt guilty.

My impressions were a little different:

• Walter White and Elliott Schwartz were chem grad students together at CalTech.
  • Gretchen was Walt's chem lab assistant, and their academic relationship developed into a romantic one.
  • After graduation, Walt and Elliott jointly formed Gray Matter Technology. Walt and Gretchen are still together at this time, and all three are good friends.
  • Walt and Elliott start some research at Gray Matter which, while ground-breaking, shows no initial signs of commercial success. Allusions were made that Walt was the primary contributor to the initial research.
  • Here's where it gets real fuzzy. Three significant events take place: Walt breaks up with Gretchen, Gretchen hooks up with Elliott, and Walt decides to leave Gray Matter. The chronological order of these eventsis unclear, however.
  • Elliott buys out Walt's share of Gray Matter for $5000.
  • After Walt's departure, Elliott (with Gretchen as at least a business partner, and maybe a romantic partner as well) continues the research initially started by Walt and Elliott.
  • The research eventually (?) leads to astounding commercial success for Gray Matter, and a Nobel Prize for Elliott. Walt's contribution is not reflected either professionally or financially.
  • Years later we find Walt teaching high school chemistry and married to Skyler.

Now, this part is totally my own conclusions, but I always had the impression:

• On the rebound from Gretchen, Walt hooked up with Skyler - then a cute cashier at a restaurant Walt used to frequent.
  • Skyler gets pregnant (with Walt Jr.), and Walt and Skyler marry.
  • Freshly unemployed from Gray Matter, Walt takes the job teaching high school chemistry to support his new insta-family-to-be.
  • Walt probably intended the teaching job to be temporary, until he found something better - but suddenly he looks up, and realizes 15+ years have shot by....
  • Love 1

<p>

My impressions were a little different:

• Walter White and Elliott Schwartz were chem grad students together at CalTech.
  • Gretchen was Walt's chem lab assistant, and their academic relationship developed into a romantic one.
  • After graduation, Walt and Elliott jointly formed Gray Matter Technology. Walt and Gretchen are still together at this time, and all three are good friends.
  • Walt and Elliott start some research at Gray Matter which, while ground-breaking, shows no initial signs of commercial success. Allusions were made that Walt was the primary contributor to the initial research.
  • Here's where it gets real fuzzy. Three significant events take place: Walt breaks up with Gretchen, Gretchen hooks up with Elliott, and Walt decides to leave Gray Matter. The chronological order of these eventsis unclear, however.
  • Elliott buys out Walt's share of Gray Matter for $5000.
  • After Walt's departure, Elliott (with Gretchen as at least a business partner, and maybe a romantic partner as well) continues the research initially started by Walt and Elliott.
  • The research eventually (?) leads to astounding commercial success for Gray Matter, and a Nobel Prize for Elliott. Walt's contribution is not reflected either professionally or financially.
  • Years later we find Walt teaching high school chemistry and married to Skyler.
Now, this part is totally my own conclusions, but I always had the impression:

• On the rebound from Gretchen, Walt hooked up with Skyler - then a cute cashier at a restaurant Walt used to frequent.
  • Skyler gets pregnant (with Walt Jr.), and Walt and Skyler marry.
  • Freshly unemployed from Gray Matter, Walt takes the job teaching high school chemistry to support his new insta-family-to-be.
  • Walt probably intended the teaching job to be temporary, until he found something better - but suddenly he looks up, and realizes 15+ years have shot by....

I could buy the Skyler on the rebound part. But Walt had a job at some sort of lab, in the flashback where he and Skyler (pregnant with Walt Jr) looked at the empty house at 308 Negra Arroyo Lane that they ended up buying.

The realtor asked if Walt was working on giant space lasers and Walt jokingly replied that he would bring that idea up at the next staff meeting.

Walt seemed very confident and optimistic about his future and thought the house was too small and that they should stretch their budget to buy something bigger.

Skyler seemed more cautious and worrisome. I have always suspected that she held him back from taking risks in his career and convinced him to embrace the security of the teaching job.

• Love 2

I could buy the Skyler on the rebound part. But Walt had a job at some sort of lab, in the flashback where he and Skyler (pregnant with Walt Jr) looked at the empty house at 308 Negra Arroyo Lane that they ended up buying.

The realtor asked if Walt was working on giant space lasers and Walt jokingly replied that he would bring that idea up at the next staff meeting.

Walt seemed very confident and optimistic about his future and thought the house was too small and that they should stretch their budget to buy something bigger.

Upon recollection, you're right. Walt was working at least one job between Gray Matter and the high school gig at one of the big New Mexico think tanks (Los Alamos, Sandia Kabs, etc.) - he and a co-worker were grabbing lunch in the diner were Skyler worked when Walt first noticed her.

The "space lasers" comment, though; that makes me think subcontractor for NASA, or some other federal agency. Which in turn makes me think of Walt marrying Skyler, taking on a new mortgage, kid on the way, etc. - then losing his cush job due to budget cuts and grabbing the chem teacher job in a financial panic.

Skyler seemed more cautious and worrisome. I have always suspected that she held him back from taking risks in his career and convinced him to embrace the security of the teaching job.

Notice the look of shocked surprise which totally failed to cross my face.

I think the show alluded to the fact that Walt Jr.'s CP convinced him to embrace the security of a teaching job. I think the flashback and Walt's subsequent actions indicated he felt entitled to something greater.  It felt far more sinister to me than optimism. 

• Love 1

Yeah, Walt Jrs medical issues may have needed the better health care that teaching provided.  I think that's what wrecked them.  In the DVD extras, Vince once mentions that (for time) they had to cut the scene of Walt and Skylar arriving to look at the house they eventually bought in a red shiny, brand new convertible sports car, so before Walt Jr was born, they had a lot more money, and expected to keep earning that, or Walt did, because he thought the house was too small for them.

There was some kind of sexual relationship with Gretchen that blew up their partnership, that's for sure.  Both felt guilt, hell, Walt's guilt was so much that he left the company, and Gretchen mentions it a couple of times during the series, or alludes to it anyway.

• Love 1

I think the show alluded to the fact that Walt Jr.'s CP convinced him to embrace the security of a teaching job. I think the flashback and Walt's subsequent actions indicated he felt entitled to something greater. It felt far more sinister to me than optimism.

I just rewatched it. I didn't see anything sinister about Walt. Skyler wasn't as negative as I remembered either.

The Walt in that scene was totally different from the "nerdiest old dude" from the beginning of the series or "the devil" from season 5.

He was relaxed, confident, optimistic and almost cool. I think it was because Skyler had not yet "crawled up into his @$$". :-)

I do think that Walt Jr's cp probably changed both of them though and might have had a lot to do with Skyler taking up residence in his rectum.

• Love 1