Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Cubbies

Tara Ariano

Last season he did have something going on, doctor wise. Anyone remember? I just remember it was after Hannahs both editor died and she met with other editors who wanted to publish her but then her Dad called and was all, "I had a small medical procedure done" and he tried to explain it but then Hannah started to talk about her new book deal and then when she found out from her Dad that she couldn't get a new book deal for a few years she just flipped out and started yelling. We never found out what his procedure was. 

Yes - sorry - I replied the same thing before reading all the comments!

I too thought the dad was trying to tell Hannah something at dinner. In Season 1, Elijah did allude to Hannah's dad being gay or giving him a "vibe" or something, so I thought they were headed in that direction.

Considering the way he was talking about his wife, I would guess he needs to tell Hannah that their marriage is over. Edited by pbutler111

I've never understood how Hannah got into Iowa in the first place. What has she ever written?  The little I remember being mentioned on the show was all non-fiction bloggish stuff.  Seems to stretch the imagination to the breaking point to suggest she got into such a competitive program based on so little.

• Love 2

pbutler111, on 09 Feb 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

For "Scene in a Bathroom..." etc., did I only imagine Hannah reading while using the toilet?

What's odd about that? Many people read while on the toilet.

There's nothing at all odd about that. The recapper said there were no scenes of people using the bathroom for actual bathroom activities.  I just pointed out that Hannah is shown reading on the toilet.  I assume she was using the toilet in the traditional manner; it certainly looked that way.

She did know. She mentioned something to him about it when they were coming out of AA before the arrest. It was very much in passing and I suspect a lot of people didn't catch it. It was something about how often he is seeing her.

Does anyone have a clip of that scene or the dialogue? I totally missed it.

I haven't done an MFA in writing but I used to work at an acting conservatory where actors got MFAs, and while there is a lot of cattiness that goes on, there is also a lot of support for people. Of course, where there is one person who disrupts the dynamic in a deeply negative way, then all of the actors band together and collectively work against that one person. Of course, writing is solitary and unlike actors, the writers don't need one another to really get their work done.

Having said that, I still can't believe that the writers portrayed at the IWW are so immature. Really? A Robotic Horse? This is a place that in reality churns out some wonderful and successful writers. Not all of them are as young as this group, and most of them are pretty focused. This undergraduate-whinyness that's occurring probably would not fly so well. (I did love it, however, when the program director said you'd have to be "really violent" and "not just a little violent" to get kicked out.)

Ah Marnie. Been there, done that.

Ray should annoy me more, but I think he's awesome. "This is a private moment between me and all of them." Hee.  A one-man attempt to stop the honking in Brooklyn.  You go, Ray.

At least Shosh is getting interviews. 7 in two weeks?  I know folks who got maybe 1-2 in a span of 3 months.  She's doing something right, although we aren't see what that is. 

• Love 5
Hannah really is kind of a waste of skin, isn't she? After being accepted into this prestigious program, she gives it a try for maybe five minutes before she bails on it, without considering the fact that she took a slot in the program that someone else would have killed for, or the cost of the program, or the cost to her parents to continue to support her life in NYC. How does she ever plan to be self-sufficient?

I get what you're saying and the points make sense but sometimes quitting is the best. I did it after being accepted to an art school that is difficult to get into. I didn't like it, it wasn't fun, and it was starting to ruin my feelings about the work. I dropped out, went home (sort of), took a different turn that didn't even include graduating from the school I transferred to (or at all). Turns out, it was exactly the correct thing for me to do and my lack of a college degree hasn't hurt me at all...though I really did like going to school.

Yeah, whatever it was, it was suspect. A man who's just left his girlfriend doesn't weep about it like that and get so angry describing her infidelity. He should be full of conviction...

I don't see why not. If my BF cheated on me, I would definitely dump him. And I would totally cry. I would also be extremely angry and full of conviction. If it were reversed, I am positive my BF would do the same. When someone you love and trust does something terrible enough to be excised from your life, you can still cry over the loss of, and miss, that person. In fact, I'd venture to say that it would be weird not to, whether you're a man or a woman. It's not like flipping a switch to "And now I hate that person and am ecstatic that s/he's gone." 

Also, I can't stand boring Marnie (who, IMO, is at best only moderately good-looking).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

Something is clearly up with Hannah's dad. It was sweet when he said, "Let's leave and run away together." Hannah naturally took this to be creepy because she is who she is, but this was so out of character for her dad. She couldn't even for one second step away from herself and ask him what was wrong in his life to make him want to "run away."  

Didn't Adam once say that if Hannah died the earth would stop moving? Or something equally dramatic? Turns out, she only needs to leave town for a month for him to replace her and move on. Loss isn't a big deal for Adam, apparently.  Seriously - Adam is not a "move on" type of guy who deals with the practical aspects of situations. I can imagine him sleeping with someone else, but not allowing her to stay at the apartment past dawn. He'd feel too guilty. 

• Love 1
I get what you're saying and the points make sense but sometimes quitting is the best.

I agree.  I do feel like Hannah should tough it out, but there is something to be said for cutting your losses. 

At least Shosh is getting interviews. 7 in two weeks?  I know folks who got maybe 1-2 in a span of 3 months.  She's doing something right, although we aren't see what that is.

My guess is that she looks good on paper.  Obviously, the reality is a giant failure. 

• Love 3

I can't believe I let the previous episode convince me that these characters might actually do something! Everyone is stuck and it's starting to piss me off. I'd like to see how the dynamic of the group would change if one of the girls was actually successful. It'd be hilarious if Marnie's boring music took off just to see the look on Jessa's face.

Does anyone have a clip of that scene or the dialogue? I totally missed it.

Jessa: How have your nights been with uh whatsherface?
Adam: [laughs] good, good.
Jessa: right...
Adam: It's not like I see her everyday or anything.
Jessa: You're a liar. I mean it's cute, its very funny but y'know...[goes off to pee in the street!]

This also changes my interpretation of the earlier scene where Adam asks Jessa if she thinks it's okay to throw away Hannah's refrigerator magnets. I thought he was just being weird and dramatic. lol

• Love 4

I don't see why not. If my BF cheated on me, I would definitely dump him. And I would totally cry. I would also be extremely angry and full of conviction. If it were reversed, I am positive my BF would do the same. When someone you love and trust does something terrible enough to be excised from your life, you can still cry over the loss of, and miss, that person. In fact, I'd venture to say that it would be weird not to, whether you're a man or a woman. It's not like flipping a switch to "And now I hate that person and am ecstatic that s/he's gone."

Oh to be sure.

But I'm just saying Desi's first story was that HE left CLEMENTINE, ostensibly for Marnie.

When in fact, Marnie didn't even factor into it.

When I mean "full of conviction," I mean, if you left someone to be with the one you love, you might feel some regret, but mostly, you'd feel relieved the deceit was over and excited.

Desi is just Bsing that side of it. He's using Marnie as an option, a back-up girl.

• Love 3

I can't believe I let the previous episode convince me that these characters might actually do something! Everyone is stuck and it's starting to piss me off. I'd like to see how the dynamic of the group would change if one of the girls was actually successful. It'd be hilarious if Marnie's boring music took off just to see the look on Jessa's face.

Jessa: How have your nights been with uh whatsherface?

Adam: [laughs] good, good.

Jessa: right...

Adam: It's not like I see her everyday or anything.

Jessa: You're a liar. I mean it's cute, its very funny but y'know...[goes off to pee in the street!]

This also changes my interpretation of the earlier scene where Adam asks Jessa if she thinks it's okay to throw away Hannah's refrigerator magnets. I thought he was just being weird and dramatic. lol

Thank you for transcribing. I guess I first interpreted the scene as them talking about Hannah (with Jessa calling Hannah "what's her face" because she was pissed at her for moving away) but then got distracted by the ridiculousness of Jessa urinating on the street that I forgot about the brief conversation.
  • Love 1

Oh to be sure.

But I'm just saying Desi's first story was that HE left CLEMENTINE, ostensibly for Marnie.

When in fact, Marnie didn't even factor into it.

When I mean "full of conviction," I mean, if you left someone to be with the one you love, you might feel some regret, but mostly, you'd feel relieved the deceit was over and excited.

Desi is just Bsing that side of it. He's using Marnie as an option, a back-up girl.

Agree on all of that, man. They both make me cringe! Though good job to both actors; I think I'm supposed to remember acting that way and/or knowing people that acted that way (because I knew a few artsy dudes with this M.O.!) and cringe.

• Love 1

Yeah, whatever it was, it was suspect. A man who's just left his girlfriend doesn't weep about it like that and get so angry describing her infidelity. He should be full of conviction...

Sure he does. I've seen lots of them do it. It's just hard to sympathize with when you know he's been running after other women.

Shosh has nothing but a BA degree from NYU on her resume, AFAIK. How great does that look on paper?

She just got her MBA. Not sure whether it was from NYU, or some slightly more prestigious place, but she does have a master's degree in a STEM subject.

Sure he does. I've seen lots of them do it. It's just hard to sympathize with when you know he's been running after other women.

She just got her MBA. Not sure whether it was from NYU, or some slightly more prestigious place, but she does have a master's degree in a STEM subject.

She just graduated from NYU but I think it was undergrad.  I believe she is either a few years younger than the others or a few years behind them in school for some reason.

• Love 2

Shosh doesn't have an MBA. She just graduated with a degree (undergraduate) in Math from NYU. That could be a B.A. or B.S. degree, depending on school or program.

• Love 2

I get what you're saying and the points make sense but sometimes quitting is the best. I did it after being accepted to an art school that is difficult to get into. I didn't like it, it wasn't fun, and it was starting to ruin my feelings about the work. I dropped out, went home (sort of), took a different turn that didn't even include graduating from the school I transferred to (or at all). Turns out, it was exactly the correct thing for me to do and my lack of a college degree hasn't hurt me at all...though I really did like going to school.

I agree with this.  Hannah is very annoying and self-centered, that's true. But I also feel for her. I think a lot of people hit this "quarter-life crisis" point in their lives where they had a plan for what their life would look like and then they get to a point where they aren't sure if the plan is really anything they can achieve or anything they want to achieve but it's so ingrained in how you see yourself as an adult, it's hard to figure out who you are and what you should be doing.  When I was a little older than Hannah I didn't quit a prestigious writing program but I was working in journalism and hated it - felt sick about doing it and was miserable so I quit and felt like such an extreme failure. I think Hannah is going through a little bit of this.  She thought of herself as a writer - it's not really working out for her - so who is she?

• Love 2

OK, can we talk about Hannah on the toilet for one more minute? Her shirt was hanging behind her while sitting on the pot and it was really bothering me. If you are dropping a deuce, wouldn't you ensure that your shirt tail isn't dangling behind you? Talk about unsanitary.

I am glad we are done with Iowa. It felt disjointed and I am ready for something/anything to happen to all of the non-Hannah characters. Could Jessa possibly have any less of a storyline?

• Love 1

"I've never understood how Hannah got into Iowa in the first place. "

Just what I was thinking. So many comments about her quitting Iowa shows she's 'not a serious writer.' But she must have submitted something good enough to get her accepted. Was there any mention of what kind of submission she sent?

Was empathetic with Ray. Have a similar situation in the street in front of my house. But at least with me it's only the morning rush.

This is my fanwank guess.  Hannah probably does have some talent.  The poster who said she probably can deliver some awesome tweets and would be perfect for advertising was spot on. 

However, she refuses to do the work necessary to polish and develop her skill.  Hemingway was not Hemingway with his first writing...he took in constructive critism to develop what became an iconic style of writing.  Hannah believes is that she is pretty good at putting words together, so it should come easily and anyone who disagress does not understand she is the voice of her generation.

So, what it comes down to is that she is too lazy and self absorbed to be a real writer...even though she does posses some ability.

• Love 2

I haven't read all the posts here because I'm an episode behind, but I think there were a number of reasons Hannah left Iowa: missing her friends, no communication with her BF, not thick skinned enough to take the critiques (and BS) of the other writers. Yes, she's self absorbed, but I don't think that necessarily means she's a bad (or even lazy) writer. Writing is hard. A lot of writers will do anything to avoid it until they absolutely have to finish. Maybe because of a deadline.

• Love 1

I haven't read all the posts here because I'm an episode behind, but I think there were a number of reasons Hannah left Iowa: missing her friends, no communication with her BF, not thick skinned enough to take the critiques (and BS) of the other writers. Yes, she's self absorbed, but I don't think that necessarily means she's a bad (or even lazy) writer. Writing is hard. A lot of writers will do anything to avoid it until they absolutely have to finish. Maybe because of a deadline.

Yeah, the group was cliquish, full of bull, and deserved pretty much everything Hannah had said to them. Perhaps more, since tall dark and androgynous was probably the one stealing Hannah's bike all the time.

Hannah makes me cringe, but they did in fact unite against her and eject her. She was jerky, but she WAS being bullied.

Just what I was thinking. So many comments about her quitting Iowa shows she's 'not a serious writer.' But she must have submitted something good enough to get her accepted. Was there any mention of what kind of submission she sent?

I seem to recall she made it sound like she did nothing more than fill out a simple application and send it in.  Sounds plausible... right?