Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E07: Auditions #7

• Start Topic

Why are they wasting so much time on dumb stuff?  Puerto Rican soap opera...really?  Sprints across the audition floor?  Do they think that's what we want to see?  For all that Simon was harsh, Paula was clueless and Randy was...well...whatever he was, at least it was entertaining.  Except for the occasional banter between HCJ and Keith, I'm bored and making liberal use of the FF button.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 7

Several of the singers had very nice voices, but when they put through that first singer, the annoying "look at me, I'm quirky!" 15 year old, I once again wondered how different these auditions sound live. To me her voice was consistently sharp and really unpleasant.

• Love 3

Harry is ready for the gun show.

First girl with the psychic cat. WHY? She was exhausting to watch. Though, I was impressed she managed to find the least flattering EVERYTHING about that look.

I hate it when they say "So and so could win this". Didn't they learn from the girl who ended up singing into her shoe or whatever a couple of seasons ago not to do that?

There's no way first girl is 15.  And she rocked it out with Bowie back in the 70s?

I think Erika David is in the silhouettes video,  I wonder what Keith didn't like about her.

Ryan Pinkston's natural voice sounds like autotune.  That's funny.

When Andrew introduced himself on tape, he gave us an Armenian name which I don't remember, but when he went into the judges, he said his name was Andrew Bloom.  Ryan Bailey.

The kid with the ukulule had a really sweet voice.

The soap opera thing was just stupid and boring.  Here's his bio at imdb, but he has no credits: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5542429/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm He also has a YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi2uicUoZrvw3nv1afkQ5jg/videos

Rayvon has a nice voice.

There's no way first girl is 15.  And she rocked it out with Bowie back in the 70s?

The kid with the ukulele had a really sweet voice.

I also thought she looked older than 15, but since she'd have to be in her 50s to have "rocked it out with Bowie", that's just more of her "Look! I'm quirky!" schtick.

And yeah, ukulele kid had a super sweet voice. 

Edited by designing1
  • Love 1

Ugh. That was a painful hour sandwiched between two odd 15-16 year olds girls. The first one was just way too exhausting. The last contestant was OK, but all I could think with her wearing that horrendous red lipstick was why does she want to look like Janice the Muppet? Rayvon was the only memorable (in a good way) audition in the whole bunch.

• Love 2

I'm really hoping that everyone from this episode minus Rayvon will fade into the ether that is Hollywood once the culling begins but when JLo is already calling potential winner on the last girl who I thought was at least two or three notches overrated, I'll guess I'll have to be realistic.

If I'm forced to accept a 16 year old Maddie in the 24, I'd rather have Maddie Walker the blonde country singer who sang Suitcase last week. The less said about the first 15 year old, the better. Accordion girl and her will end up in a competition within the competition for the title of most weird/quirky Hollywood week contestant....I did think it was nice that a long lost Haim sister managed to get a golden ticket in that 3 person montage early on. I actually liked her NY State of Mind, but the guy that Harry called perfect who followed her.....what am I missing here? IMO, he seemed borderline at best.

They should have made the Olympic sprinter do an impromptu audition once they brought him in the judges room. That would have been amazing if they'd done that and it turned out that he could actually sing a little.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

These audition shows need to be condensed by AT LEAST a week.  I lost interest a while ago.  And who could blame me? I'm bored with contestants gushing over how beautiful Jennifer is and begging for "one more chance" because they promise to "work really hard".  When they are filling time with things like telenovelas and sprints, there isn't enough content to devote an hour-long episode to each audition city.  If the talent pool is that shallow, start combining locations in one episode.  I don't care what city people are auditioning from anyway.

• Love 1

Haha, I was in the kitchen cleaning up and listening to the first contestant "singing"--or as it sounded to me, caterwauling--and thought "wow, they're starting with a bad contestant first, they don't usually do that".  And then I popped into the TV room to see the critique, and they put her through!  My dog could have done a better job.

I liked NY State of Mind girl, though we only saw a bit of her.  BTW, due to the editing, it's not clear to me which contestant Harry was talking to when he said "that was perfect". I thought he might have been directing that to her, but who knows?

Last girl's lipstick was indeed horrendous. For me, it totally undermined any talent she had (and she could definitely sing ok) because I could not stop staring at the awfulness of that red. And the eye liner. And the judges loved it?  Sad. She'd have looked way better without the grisly makeup. (And also less hookery.)

• Love 3

Harry is ready for the gun show.

No kidding.  I was a little shocked and pleasantly surprised when he flexed.   Will the sprinter have to get to Hollywood on his own dime or will the show bring him for entertainment purposes and to endorse his sport?  I know nothing about this young man, but it seemed to me the show was trying to promote his sport for him.

I think it was the last girl - the one with the dark lipstick, child of a single mother etc who got it right with the emoting for the song she was singing.  It really was something to see her go from super chipper to emotional while singing.  Have to say this to me was another example of "feeling" the song vs just singing the lyrics or having inappropriate facial expressions because you have no idea or can't relate to what you're singing. 

• Love 2
I think it was the last girl - the one with the dark lipstick, child of a single mother etc who got it right with the emoting for the song she was singing.  It really was something to see her go from super chipper to emotional while singing.  Have to say this to me was another example of "feeling" the song vs just singing the lyrics or having inappropriate facial expressions because you have no idea or can't relate to what you're singing.

Good point.  While Rayvon may have had the best vocals of the night, he did smile all the way through Wide Awake.  Lipstick girl had him beat when it comes to connecting with the lyrics. 

I've actually been enjoying the bulk of the Auditions' episodes this season but last night's was just about unwatchable.  The one thing I really loved was when they went out to get the family of the young man with the ukulele.  The family saw his Golden Ticket and didn't even look at the judges.  They were just genuinely thrilled for him.  Heartwarming.

I wonder if Ryan Bailey, the Olympic sprinter, is gunning for some kind of TV reality show. 

Horrible lipstick girl actually frightened me to look at her.  Between the lipstick and the eyeliner, I couldn't appreciate the fact that she could actually sing and she's quite attractive.  I hope someone tells her to tone down the makeup.   

I was in the kitchen when Rayvon was singing so I didn't see him smiling, but I really liked his voice. 

• Love 1

I loved that they played "Rave On" after Rayvon won.

I did too.  I thought it was one of the most clever things AI has done in years but then they couldn't just let it be subtly clever...they had to have Ryan's VO accentuate that it was "rave on."

As soon as I heard about the "psychic cat" I knew we were going to have a whole lot of cute and quirky shoved down our throats. I see tons of these kinds of supper annoying girls here in Seattle, with the artsy, completely indulgent parents who have been telling them what precious talented snowflakes they are since birth. It produces toxic levels of self-confidence. Actually, underneath all the "look at me" antics and the meaningless blather about Bowie and rock stars, she probably does have some singing talent. But like most 15 year olds who come on this show, her vocals were affected and lacking in originality.

I thought the bit about how Jennifer would like the Asian girl's sassiness was funny. Jennifer really is that predictable. I personally would not have put that girl through. It seems that nobody can ever come on Idol and sing an Alicia Keys' song without trying to imitate every single vocal inflection to the letter.

This was only the second audition episode I've watched this season, and it was a parade of mediocrity, far inferior to the New York audition show I'd watched previously. But then, there were several posts on the forum that said that was one of the best audition episodes ever. Well, as a native New Yorker I'm happy to believe that.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2