Type keyword(s) to search

Share Your Simply Beautiful Songs

Betweenyouandme
  • Start Topic

One of my fave songs of all time is "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" which has had  different but simply beautiful renditions by Peter, Paul and Mary as well as Roberta Flack. One of the best songs ever about falling in love that can keep hearts like mine from getting too cynical! 

• Love 4
On 8/9/2019 at 8:18 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

ha

yley westenra https://youtu.be/ZSwx2MdUKzw

She does an excellent rendition of that very touching song (that hopefully gets contemporary audiences to understand WHY it was such a hit in WWII Britain)!  Thanks for sharing it with us! Oh, and this is as good a place as any to mention that the singer who popularized it during that trying time Miss Vera Lynn is STILL with us at age 102[!]!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 1

Although its most popular rendition is that of the Flamingos in 1959, " I Only Have Eyes For You" has been one of the most beautiful love ballads ever sung since its first performance in the 1934 [!] movie Dames as the centerpiece of a Busby Berkeley fantasy number featuring the then-hot Ruby Keeler!  Anyway, IMO, it's tough not to be moved by the opening lines of asking whether the stars are out or whether it's cloudy or bright due to be smitten by a new flame!  No wonder it still has folks singing their own renditions in the New Millennium! 

• Love 4
On 8/8/2019 at 12:18 AM, catlover79 said:

Here are a couple...

Donny Hathaway and Art Garfunkel. I like your diverse (yet strangely similar) picks. 

Thanks to the Patrick Swayze documentary, I was inspired to watch Dirty Dancing three times in 3 days. So these songs have been on my mind:

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3
On 8/23/2019 at 4:05 AM, Annber03 said:

Because I was listening to this song earlier...

I just love, love Elfman's voice, and the overall dark, romantic beauty of the song as a whole. 

I love this era of Boingo. This is a great song.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I love this era of Boingo. This is a great song.

Was wondering how many other fans might be lurking on this site :D.

Yeah. That whole album's great. Such a fun band. 

I love Roy Orbison, but I think Cyndi Lauper's version of "I Drove All Night" (which was recorded second, but came out first by several years, and is thus probably regarded by many as the original) is better.

(Celine Dion's version doesn't deserve to share space with either one.)

Cyndi Lauper has a number of beautiful songs.  "Heading West" isn't as well known as some others, and Lauper herself would likely rank it fairly low as she doesn't love the album, but I like it for "I'm like a letter with no address":

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love Roy Orbison, but I think Cyndi Lauper's version of "I Drove All Night" (which was recorded second, but came out first by several years, and is thus probably regarded by many as the original) is better.

(Celine Dion's version doesn't deserve to share space with either one.)

THIS. Especially the Celine Dion post-script.

There is another Cyndi Lauper song, not well known, that was featured on Bones, called "Fearless", which I really liked. (Of course, the fact that she became a recurring character there made it easy to use her music!)

• Love 1

I've been a member of these forums for five years now and yet I never realized we had a Music forum here. I'm definitely late to the party! I'd like to contribute three of my favorite simply beautiful songs.

I think this may very well be the most gorgeous melody Bruce has ever composed. The arrangement; the chord progressions; I find it just stunning to listen to.

On the Hotel California album where Side 1 ends with Wasted Time, which could easily be named here, Side 2 ends with this masterpiece.

Going back to classic country of the 70s for this absolute gem.

• Love 1

Another fave song that never fails to give me cheer in tough times is Jimmy Cliff's "I Can See Clearly Now (the Rain is Gone)" from 1972. Not only does it have fantastic vocals and instrumentals but the lyrics are quite encouraging (and timeless) !

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Another fave song that never fails to give me cheer in tough times is Jimmy Cliff's "I Can See Clearly Now (the Rain is Gone)" from 1972. Not only does it have fantastic vocals and instrumentals but the lyrics are quite encouraging (and timeless) !

I love that song, too :). Always puts me in a good mood. I remember one time, my family was returning home from a trip, and we ran into some thunderstorms along the way. Just as the storms passed us and the sun started coming back out, that song came on :D. I was like, "Well, that's appropriate...", LOL. 

Neil Finn did a good cover of the song a number of years back, too, for the Antz movie:

• Love 1

I feel this is the time to recall Irving Berlin's classic " Blue Skies"

'Nothing but blue skies, do I see!'

Timeless yet timely lyrics, methinks (though, yeah, I'm a realistic and intellectually know that life will have bumps ahead but I feel more energized that I CAN overcome said bumps).

• Love 5