Type keyword(s) to search

Share Your Simply Beautiful Songs

Betweenyouandme
  • Start Topic

Bring Him Home from Les Mis

Rick Kitchen - your post alone gave me chills. I saw Colm Wilkinson in Les Mis in NY in 1987 or '88. I wasn't familiar with any of the music and am also not much of a crier, but by about the third line of that song I was ugly crying - gulping and face contortions and all. Which is to say that I couldn't agree more.

• Love 1

Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler

The Rose - Bette Midler

My Heart Will Go On  - Celine Dion

I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston

Full of Grace - Sarah McLaughlin

The Promise - Tracy Chapman

For You - Kenny Lattimore (I want this to be my wedding song)

I love ballads in general (the more touching/depressing the better).

• Love 3

I fell in love with David Berkley's "Fire Sign" after first hearing it in an episode of "Without A Trace".

I also love "Bell Book & Candle" by Eddi Reader.  Again I thank TV, as it was the song used on Charmed for Prue's funeral.

And a few more from the past:

"Mr. Dieingly Sad" by The Critters.

"Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" by Frankie Valli.

"There's A Reason" by The Cascades.

"Let It Be Me" by The Everly Brothers

"Darling Be Home Soon" by The Lovin' Spoonful

"I Want To Be Free" by The Monkees

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 1

I'm not going to lie, Taylor Swift's "Clean", from her new album 1989, is gorgeous, and I'll admit it has gotten me through some personal stuff recently. It's made even better by the haunting background vocals of Imogen Heap. I really hope she releases this as single, although she doesn't release ballads as singles very often. 

Here's Ingrid Michaelson covering it last December:

• Love 1

"As" by Stevie Wonder is one of the most breathtaking and incredibly arranged love songs I've ever heard. Stevie sings it with such passion and charisma, I have no choice but to be moved by it. Whenever I play it in my car, I honestly have to roll the windows down because I feel owe it to everyone to hear it.

"The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel is another song I have to share with the world when I drive.

"Stardust" by Nat King Cole. I love the tender, understated (no dramatic swells) orchestration, and the fact that the lyrics are a bit verbose, but still scan and work beautifully. Plus, Cole owns this song. Owns it. A lot of artists I like, such as Willie Nelson and Katie Melua have covered it, but, sorry, no version of "Stardust" can match Cole's rendition.

Deanna Durbin is one of my favorite singers ever, and picking a beautiful song from this charming, accomplished musical star is a bit of an undertaking because there were so many. But one that comes to mind is "One Fine Day", the English language version of "Un Bel Di" from Puccini's Madame Butterfly. She was 17 years old when she recored this. 17. Years. Old. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 4

I had So You Think You Can Dance on in the background, and one of the last dancers auditioned to the song "Sleepwalk"; it was a version with lyrics that I wasn't familiar with, but that melody is so haunting and beautiful.

On the flip-side, that song will always be tied in my memory to the incredibly sad ending of the movie La Bamba, which I haven't watched in full since I was a kid. When the song gets to those final chords at the end, I hear Esai Morales screaming "RITCHIEEEEEEE" in my head

• LOL 2

Some of my choices are a bit out there but they move me....

1. Jasmine-The Kingston Trio...the vocals..the guitar..and the lyrics are all filled with longing..written by singer-songwriter John Stewart...and done recently for The Kingston Trio's latest album..

Clouds-Zach Sobiech....written by a Minnesota teenager who found out he has terminal cancer...It's beautiful because he takes this moment as a chance to say goodbye but with a sense of joy...

Whispering Jesse ...John Denver....a great artist not truly appreciated in his lifetime...This is a beautful song about an old cowboy reflecting on the love he once had...a later tune for him..and one I wish someone would cover and have it be a smash..

• Love 2

There are many songs that I love, but, when I think of beautiful songs, these always come to my mind first off: Annie's Song by John Denver and

All I Know by Art Garfunkel

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

George Michael's live version of I Believe (When I Fall In Love).

The Beautiful Ones  and When We're Dancing Close and Slow, by Prince.

And, this one might seem trite, but Whitney Houston's version of I Will Always Love You.  Girl could sell it.

• Love 1

These two beautiful songs always put me in a very pensive mood.  Something about them. 

And Superstar by The Carpenters. (What a combo, right?)

Karen's voice is just haunting. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On 12/28/2017 at 3:33 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Karen [Carpenter]'s voice is just haunting. 

I've been in a serious Rainy Days and Mondays mood lately, and the lyrics may be 10 percent of that, and the rest is all her voice. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've been in a serious Rainy Days and Mondays mood lately, and the lyrics may be 10 percent of that, and the rest is all her voice. 

Me too.  I just heard Karen's song Solitaire the other day.  Oh my..... and also For All We Know....it's like musical therapy, imo. Her voice is so rich.  I shall never forget it.  This Christmas song by them is perhaps my favorite, other than Superstar.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
(edited)

"Blackout"-Muse. Favorite song by these guys. It's just so hauntingly gorgeous:

"Into My Arms"-Nick Cave. One of the most beautiful love songs ever:

And a classic from another band I love-"Fall at Your Feet" by Crowded House:

Edited by Annber03

I like the original of this song, but, I also find this cover really lovely. Simple piano, vocals, harmony.  Just nice.  I am surprised too, because, I'm not a big fan of this artist, but, I really liked her here.   It's Heart of The Matter (Hendley) performed by Chenoweth. The lyrics of this song are just so powerful...it's difficult to explain, but, it really speaks to me. 

https://www.today.com/video/today/56482802

Edited by SunnyBeBe
19 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Help,lol, how are ya'll able to post the videos here?

If you find the video on line, like on you tube, you can copy the link and paste it on your post. It'll open it up with photo of the song. At least, that's how I have done it before.