Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Cassandra Complex

NOTE: SyFy has made this episode available online/on demand a week before it airs on television. If you haven't watched the episode yet, be aware that there may be discussion of this episode (and therefore spoilers for this episode) below!

Cole's search for the location of the virus leads him to 2014, and to a devastating moment in Dr. Railly's life involving a dangerous outbreak in Haiti.

Promo:

Wow, this episode really revealed how far Cole will go to prevent the outbreak.  Cassie is going to have to find out about this, right?  I wonder how this will affect their relationship.  I'm still wondering why Cassie was so adamant that Cole stay away from her in Haiti.  Is it because of her connection to Henri?  And why did the CDC guy offer Cassie a job after he was so harsh with her and told her people could have died if they'd listened to her?  That seems weird.  

• Love 1

This was a solid interesting episode... though some part of it dragged (I believe Sci Fi requires that in its shows). Cole and Cassandra are the best thing about the show and their interactions are strong. Some of the things that happened I am not 100% how they will fit into the remainder of the series but it seems like it really expanded the universe with an outside drama in 2043. Funny moment came early on when Cole asked if the Chinese delivery man was a general.  I am not sure how, if at all, Cassandra and her Hati hook up fit into anything.

Wow, this episode really revealed how far Cole will go to prevent the outbreak.  Cassie is going to have to find out about this, right?  I wonder how this will affect their relationship.  I'm still wondering why Cassie was so adamant that Cole stay away from her in Haiti.  Is it because of her connection to Henri?

I am not sure but thought maybe it was because she was sleeping with Henri and rather a mess.  I am sure Cassie will find out about it... but it was established early on that Cole sees everyone as already dead, so it means nothing to kill someone now. I presumed that the CDC guy realized that people can lose their head during a severe outbreak but that since that time Cassandra had stabilized as far as he knew and he was willing to give her another chance. But this episode did have a lot of loose ends.

I am not sure but thought maybe it was because she was sleeping with Henri and rather a mess.  I am sure Cassie will find out about it... but it was established early on that Cole sees everyone as already dead, so it means nothing to kill someone now.

That was my thinking too.  It had to be because she's unhappy about how much she let Cole's initial visit get to her.  She seems to be dealing with it now, but I really liked seeing how bad it got for her for awhile.  Now we see why she was willing to wait in that hotel for a week, she had to know.

• Love 1

I'm really liking this show as much as I did the movie and also as much as I did Caprica, which doesn't bode well for its future.

Wow, this episode really revealed how far Cole will go to prevent the outbreak.  Cassie is going to have to find out about this, right?  I wonder how this will affect their relationship....

Likely she will be telling Cole how it was all her fault Henri was killed and how she's not going to let that happen again, and he will say it was necessary...and then he will confess. Or something like that. Given that this episode also showed her learning to shoot, perhaps the reveal will come when she is hesitating to shoot someone who died in the timeline when the plague was unleashed like Henri did.

In terms of their "relationship," yeah, it could be used as a plot point romance obstacle.

...I'm still wondering why Cassie was so adamant that Cole stay away from her in Haiti....

I thought it was because she figured it would prevent her from meeting him at the later appointed time. But maybe not.

...it was established early on that Cole sees everyone as already dead, so it means nothing to kill someone now....

I don't think it meant "nothing." I think he wished Henri could have lived.
  • Love 2

I think Cole regretted having to kill Henri because he saw that he was a decent guy, but he knew that he had to kill him in order to keep events as close to the original timeline as possible. I think he also knew that he could give Henri a mercifully quick death but that the creepy flower man would eventually find him and torture him to try to find the location of the night room.

• Love 11

I agree. Realistically, Henri has to die because the Pallid Man will find him.  His death is the only way to keep the Pallid Man from finding the night room.  But I wonder if Cassie see it the same way.  I was suddenly struck by the idea that Cole must have already killed him in the timeline since Cassie remembers the flash by the tents and Henri died without giving the secret of the Night Room away.  Cole must have been his killer all along.  I'm probably the only one who this  is new information for.

I think Cassie must have wanted Cole to stay away from her since she was in such a bad place in Haiti.  Seeing him after the CDC guy spoke to her would push her over the edge.

I was suddenly struck by the idea that Cole must have already killed him in the timeline since Cassie remembers the flash by the tents and Henri died without giving the secret of the Night Room away.  Cole must have been his killer all along.  I'm probably the only one who this  is new information for.

I see it a little differently. None of those things happened until Cole decided to go back to 2014 in 2015. So in the original time line, someone else killed Heri (most likely Tom Noonan) and there was no flash. But when Cole went back it instantly changed Cassandra's memories and (she is unaware of that fact). Cole also could not let Heri live because then Cole never would have any reason to come back to 2014 to talk to him.  (and I promised myself I would NOT think about the time line).

Sort of too bad (because I presume they were filming at the time) that they couldn't have tied this in with this years Ebola scare.

I agree Cole had some regret at killing Henri but I think he is rather mercenary because he does see most people as dead already. 

I think I have to give the show credit. When Cole came back right after Cassandra got physical with Heri I thought the show was going to use it for some Cole Cassandra uncomfortableness and maybe even a motivation for Cole to kill him -- but it went no place at all. Unless it will in the future.  Wasn't expecting that.

• Love 1

...Cole must have already killed him in the timeline since Cassie remembers the flash by the tents...

Like BooBear said, She "remembers" the flash after he time traveled there. Also, just to be clear, the flash is his entering or leaving that time--not a gun flash.

Why didn't he just kill the palid guy?

Well, if this were a movie, that might have been the end. Heh.
  • Love 1

Why didn't he just kill the palid guy?

I think it is also dangerous to do that. They really don't know what Palid guy is all about yet.  Killing him could do nothing and cut off their link to the 12 monkeys or the room.  He only killed Frost because they all thought they had conclusive proof he was the cause of the outbreak but now they realize that could have caused the outbreak.

Like BooBear said, She "remembers" the flash after he time traveled there. Also, just to be clear, the flash is his entering or leaving that time--not a gun flash.

I keep thinking about when Cole scratched Cassie's watch.  There was a definite sign things had been changed.  The show hasn't shown us what happens when a person's memories are changed.  Would there be an outward sign?

• Love 2

Luckily, I caught this before On Demand took it off.  I wonder how long SyFy is going to this "Show an episode in advance for a day" thing, with this show.  I have to think it is cutting in on their live ratings, so do they just not care about that?

As soon as that one doctor told Cassandra that Henri died in Haiti, I knew it was going to end up that Cole was the one who did it.  I see why, and I do think the Pallid Man would have gotten to him eventually and made him talk, but I am putting all my money down that him keeping this from Cassandra, is going to blow up in his face.  Of course, he didn't know that she and Henri had a fling, but she obviously felt guilt about what happened, so I don't see this making things any better.

The future stuff involving Ramse was actually interesting enough; glad that Kirk Acevedo is getting moments to shine.  Intrigued about where he and Cole came from, and this apparently scary leader (was that Todd Stashwick?  I saw his name in the credits, but the glimpse of the guy was too quick for me.)  And, in "Spot the Canadian from past shows" news, I totally remember the actress playing Max from a two episode arc she did on Nikita. 

Still enjoying the show, but I still think it is at its best when Cole and Cassandra are interacting with each other, so I hope they don't split them up too much.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1
Luckily, I caught this before On Demand took it off.  I wonder how long SyFy is going to this "Show an episode in advance for a day" thing, with this show.  I have to think it is cutting in on their live ratings, so do they just not care about that?

Showtime does that with some of their series too for the entire season, so I think it's just about getting people to watch the show and get them talking about it. Plus I feel like live ratings aren't as important to cable shows as they are on network shows. I know they still matter and they stil want higher ratings but they are more concerned with buzz, good reviews, and creating a fan base than regular network shows.

I know they still matter and they stil want higher ratings but they are more concerned with buzz, good reviews, and creating a fan base than regular network shows.

I just find it odd that they only do it for one day. I mean people do stuff on Saturdays.  I actually like it though because I am typically out cold Friday at 9... zzzz

• Love 1

I think Cole regretted having to kill Henri because he saw that he was a decent guy, but he knew that he had to kill him in order to keep events as close to the original timeline as possible. I think he also knew that he could give Henri a mercifully quick death but that the creepy flower man would eventually find him and torture him to try to find the location of the night room.

yeah i pretty much figured creepy man killed Henri  in the original timeline.  Also i have feeling everytime cole changes something the timeline jsut switches and over writes all there memories  the naime series Stein's Gate had this concept where when the main character time traveled and changed something in the past. He would be the only person who would remeber the original true memories meanwhile where wiped out and replaced with the new ones.

Like some others, I feel that the best moments of the show are when Cole and Cassie are bouncing off each other, and so I'm a little disappointed that they're finding ways to keep them apart.

• Love 1

Haiti was not very good to Cassandra was it?   Does explain why she showed up at the hotel to meet Cole though.  By that point she was a crackpot at work nearly made a epidemic WORSE and quite possible firebombed her relationship with her boyfriend.  So what the hell....lets go to the hotel and see if her,magic kidnapper from the future with his doomsday scenario for the future shows up for their date.   She had nothing to lose at that point.

Was surprised Cole killed Henri.  Cassandra is not going to be happy when she finds out.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Liked this episode a lot - especially getting more info about life in 2043. I too am intrigued to learn more about the people in tents. Looks like

they'll be ambushing Splinter Station in the next ep.

Poor Cassandra. The whole now-he's-here-now-he's-not thing with Cole is clearly taking its toll on her. I still love their dynamic - my favorite part of the show.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

To be succinct, the reason he didn't want Cassandra to see him is that is not where she first saw him.  That would change the timeline and might prevent her from helping him at the hotel.  The lady in charge in the future mentioned this.

• Love 1

I'm curious how the Florist found Henri in that woman's house while he was getting meds -- Cole was trailing Henri and no one was trailing Cole.  Though we now know that Cole gave him the scar on his cheek.

I'm even more curious how the CDC employees managed to find a decent hotel to stay at not that wasn't damaged in the earthquake -- and that had working Wifi.

ETA: The weirdness that Cole experienced when he was winking in and out of existence in 2014 in Hait that Jones indicated might happen.  That was odd -- where did he go when he winked out ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I knew that woman was lying to Kirk about her loyalty. Very curious to see how this plays out...

Yeah, me too. Tough girls with side braids are almost always bad news on TV shows...

• Love 4

Luckily, I caught this before On Demand took it off.  I wonder how long SyFy is going to this "Show an episode in advance for a day" thing, with this show.  I have to think it is cutting in on their live ratings, so do they just not care about that?

Also, it's a right, royal pain in the ass to have everyone posting dozens of comments, chock full of un-spoiler-tagged spoilers for an entire week before the show officially airs!  Isn't that against forum rules or something?  Aaarghh!

• Love 1

So I guessed that Cole shot Henri as soon as they mentioned it.

Even if I already didn't know that the people from Sarah Connor Chronicles were behind this, I was getting lots of Terminator vibes from this episode.

Pale Man is certainly creepy, but I can already see myself getting annoyed at how he is able to at pop up at every critical time and place. (At least Cole has a time machine and mission as an excuse!)

I did like how they showed how meeting Cole affected Cassandra. Ripples in time and all that; but I hope it doesn't get too complicated, as time travel is prone to do.

So now we know why Ramse is here: to connect to the storyline Outside the Perimeter. Not really interested in that; there's already lots going on.

• Love 1

...So now we know why Ramse is here: to connect to the storyline Outside the Perimeter. Not really interested in that; there's already lots going on.

Yeah, I was happy to have Kirk Acevedo as Cole's wise-crackin' buddy, but as soon as they started showing the tent people scenes I got a sinking feeling that my show was going off the rails.

Also, it's a right, royal pain in the ass to have everyone posting dozens of comments, chock full of un-spoiler-tagged spoilers for an entire week before the show officially airs!  Isn't that against forum rules or something?  Aaarghh!

Nope, it's been site policy that if an episode is available online or on demand before it airs, the episode can be discussed in the episode thread (which is one of the reasons why it's so awesome to have separate episode threads here!). If you post about the episode in any other thread (say, a character thread or the quotes thread) before the episode airs on tv, then you need to use spoiler tags.

This is the case with several shows for various reasons. Some shows like Downton Abbey, Sherlock, and Broadchurch air in the UK months before they air here. Some shows like Forever air earlier in the week in Canada than they do in the U.S. Some channels make the new episodes available online or on demand a week before they air on tv all season (Showtime has been doing this for years with shows like Californication, Nurse Jackie, and House of Lies) and we have been allowed to discuss them in the episode threads once they are available. And some networks post the season premieres on youtube or Hulu a week before they air (sometimes even more than a week in advance). In all of these cases, we have been allowed to discuss the episodes in the episode threads.

It was available for some people - Just Here posted a nice episode summary in Ep. 4.

ETA: The weirdness that Cole experienced when he was winking in and out of existence in 2014 in Hait that Jones indicated might happen.  That was odd -- where did he go when he winked out ?

Back to his own time.

Poor Cassie. I wasn't thrilled with her telling people the truth after she met Cole, but I get it. She was genuinely thrown by supposedly impossible events - the watch, Cole blipping out of existence. The show has done of good job of following this up, with her struggling to deal with their possible future before Cole came back to prove she wasn't crazy. Facing the end of the human race could be frightening/shocking for anyone, and in her line of work she would know better than the most the gory details of a pandemic.

I'm curious about Pale Man/Florist/we really need one name for the guy... I mean, he seems a bit "off," but when Cole cut him, he just looked stunned and ran off instead of fighting. Surely he's had victims fight back before?

• Love 1

I commend the show for making Cassie's journey believable. Sometimes it's better not to know your future no matter how much you think you can prevent it. Anticipating the worst instead of enjoying life day by day must have been horrible for Cassie. I hope Cole and gang feel guilty about that. They got her into this mess in the first place. Now there's no turning back. Him disappearing from her life right now would actually drive her insane because then she would no longer have connection or knowledge to do anything about the impending apocalypse. I'm surprised she doesn't resent Cole for any of it.

Normally I'd be against the 2043 type of storyline but I really like Ramse and am curious to know the history behind Cole and Ramse. And what made Cole so eager to be erased.

Can you link it? I can't find it.

Ep. 4: Atari - it's the last post. Not a blow-by-blow recap, but I think Just Here summed things up well.

I commend the show for making Cassie's journey believable. Sometimes it's better not to know your future no matter how much you think you can prevent it. Anticipating the worst instead of enjoying life day by day must have been horrible for Cassie. I hope Cole and gang feel guilty about that. They got her into this mess in the first place. Now there's no turning back. Him disappearing from her life right now would actually drive her insane because then she would no longer have connection or knowledge to do anything about the impending apocalypse. I'm surprised she doesn't resent Cole for any of it.

Normally I'd be against the 2043 type of storyline but I really like Ramse and am curious to know the history behind Cole and Ramse. And what made Cole so eager to be erased.

The relationship between Cole and Cassie is a highlight of the show, and I like that they have to rely on each other for so much. It gives them support they won't get anywhere else. No one believes Cassie; not even Ramse can really get what Cole is going through. And I'm guessing at some point the writers will use that by forcing them to choose between each other and the bigger picture (probably at gunpoint).

I'll need to see more of the West 7 (is that right?) before I can decide. I know we need more storylines to maintain the show for several seasons, I'm just not sure this is what I wanted.

Edited by coppersin
  • Love 1

I'm curious about Pale Man/Florist/we really need one name for the guy...

Officially, he's the Pallid Man, but I wouldn't mind a forum nickname.

I thought that violated rules of forum courtesy because 3 threads and 40 posts later someone just tuning in won't know who "The Gentleman" or whatever we name him is, but I don't see any general board rules against it. Maybe it's just for uber-active boards like Once Upon A Time?

Maybe his last name will turn out to be Cole or Railly, and that's why he doesn't have one yet?

I hope Cole and gang feel guilty about that.

Cole did have a look in this episode (when the CDC doctor was telling Cassie she needed a break) like it was sinking in how much his presence had messed up Cassie's life. I'm sure she resents it on some level, and I have no doubt that it will come into play at some point.

Tom Noonan's character is obviously pretty strong; IIRC, Cole is supposed to be full of nanites and stuff that make him nearly superhuman, and Noonan (whatever nickname we're giving him) manhandled him twice. So that's a strange thing.