Type keyword(s) to search

Small (Coffee) Talk: I'm all verklempt!

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I stumbled upon a Jim Breuer comedy special on Epix last night, and I really liked the part I saw! I picked it up somewhere towards the end of a bit he did about being an older guy at a Slayer concert (which was okay) and stayed with it through a couple stories about his family,  The family stuff I loved. He pretty much had me at the part about him coming home from work all happy and stuff and walking into a home where his youngest daughter had "broken" his wife and emotions were running high. Heh. I've been the parent on both sides of that scene. Even better was the entrance of his middle child into the scene, because, A) it was really funny, and B) I can tell that regardless of how much of that story was true, he is crazy proud of the middle child.

I stuck with it through the journey through the Great Adventure Safari story. Which I also enjoyed thoroughly.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hope more of my TWOP buddies start popping up now.

I think my friend prairiegal had the last post over there, which feels most appropriate.

Hugs to everyone.

Edited by vb68

ANY REFUGEES FROM SEAN'S Saturday-Night-Live.com forums?

Looks like the storm took it down for good.   This seems like an active forum. 

Casey?  Water78?  B_Profane?  Anyone?

Hello, PreviouslyTV folks.

says--> ./cache/ is NOT writable.

Edited by JZL
6 hours ago, don said:

i'm trying to get a request to Tom Hanks

My son-in-law Pete Kostelnick, is currently running 3100 miles across america , on pace to break a 30+ year record of 46 days. 
 He is on track to finish at new york city hall on monday Oct-24.

Pete is a big fan of Mr. Hanks and would love to meet and possible run with him in NY, the fictional Forrest Gump and the real one.

https://www.facebook.com/petesfeetaa/

http://www.petesfeetaa.com/

It probably wouldn't hurt to try tweeting at him, maybe?  

Remember Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip?

I loved that show when it aired.  It's a good SNL-hiatus-jonesing bingewatch (not every year, but on and off).

Maybe this should be an "on" year since Sarah Paulson won an Emmy!

Anyhoo, my two cents worth. 

Edited by JZL

Like alot of people, I had dreams of being on this show. I took Second City classes, practice being funny at every opportunity (the guys at my 2nd job say I’m the fat guy version of Deadpool) but my love has faded in recent years.

What’s in the wings, a worthy successor to the dream?

I have a question, and I thought here might be as good a place as any to ask it, given John Mulaney’s long association with SNL.   A recommended video came up for me on YouTube of John appearing on Stephen Colbert’s show, so I watched it.

And John talks about how he and his older brother chose their confirmation names to honor their other brother who passed away, and Stephen said that he had done the same.  I was just curious what the story was there with John, but I only saw that he has a sister in show business and nothing about his other siblings.  Stephen’s situation has been reported in the media, of course, with how his father and brothers were killed in a plane crash in Charlotte when Stephen was very young, but I had never heard about John.  Poor guy.

Dave Chappelle and Jon Stewart are teaming up for a small comedy tour this summer.  So far it's only Boston, Houston, and El Paso, which is weird.

Yesterday I saw The SNL Experience at Chicago's Museum of Broadcast Communications (a place I hadn't even known existed, even though I've walked by it many times).  Apparently this exhibit started out in NYC and is now "on the road" with Chicago being the first stop.  It's set up to literally walk you through the 6-day process, Monday - Saturday, of putting on an episode of the show, with lots of artifacts (costumes, wigs, props, sets, sketches, and of course video interviews and show clips) interspersed along the way.  Well worth a visit!

One of the most fascinating things was what looked like a long teletype printout of Lorne's original "proposal" for the show.  You can see the outline of many elements that were adopted, even if some of them didn't last long.  I was intrigued by the mention of videos being contributed by various well-known performers, including the duo of Peter Boyle and John Lennon.  While Boyle hosted an episode, Lennon (who was best man at Boyle's wedding) never appeared on the show.  I would have loved to see what Lorne thought the two of them might do together.

• Love 5

Went and saw John & Pete last Sunday. Pete was pretty good but I'm not a fan of his delivery. His jokes are definitely a LOT more graphic than Johns. John performed after him and nailed it. I wish Johns set had been longer. I also feel like they didn't need a comedian to perform before them. All in all it was definitely better than when I saw Aziz Ansari(after his MeToo shit). His bit about Roseanne and the movement were NOT funny & he lost me after that show. 

• Love 2

I'm feeling the need to be open about something, and I guess I will do it in this forum where I spend so much time. The VB letters in my forum name have always stood for my hometown of Virginia Beach.

Everyone I know personally is safe, but still a little shaken by yesterday. It happened right across the street from my old high school. My mother worked in the adjacent building for years.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

I'm feeling the need to be open about something, and I guess I will do it in this forum where I spend so much time. The VB letters in my forum name have always stood for my hometown of Virginia Beach.

Everyone I know personally is safe, but still a little shaken by yesterday. It happened right across the street from my old high school. My mother worked in the adjacent building for years.  

So sorry to hear that. I used to have family in Virginia Beach, including my grandmother, so I have a lot of great memories of taking weekend trips down there when I was growing up.

Glad to hear that everybody you know is safe, but can only imagine how harrowing it can be to have a place so familiar to you become marred by such an awful tragedy.

• Love 2

Stephen Root was just on Marc Maron's WTF podcast.  He's nominated for an Emmy for Barry. 

I would looooove to see him host SNL.

What with Barry and his ties to SNL via Bill Hader, and far more remotely through Phil Hartman, not too crazy an idea?

• Love 2
On 6/1/2019 at 11:06 AM, vb68 said:

Hello VB68. There are two questions I wanted to ask you. First of all, is the 68 for 1968 and was that when you wee born ? The other question is what happened across the street ? Was there a tornado OR was there a shooting ?

On 8/16/2019 at 7:06 PM, JZL said:

Stephen Root was just on Marc Maron's WTF podcast.  He's nominated for an Emmy for Barry. 

I would looooove to see him host SNL.

What with Barry and his ties to SNL via Bill Hader, and far more remotely through Phil Hartman, not too crazy an idea?

What did Phil Hartman have to do with Barry ? Phil Hartman was dead long before Barry was ever a TV Show.

On 6/12/2020 at 2:25 AM, Jody said:

The other question is what happened across the street ? Was there a tornado OR was there a shooting

Yes there was a mass shooting in Virginia Beach a year ago May 31 at our Municipal Center. It was beyond horrific.

Happy New Year, Pete and everyone else!  2020 was such a difficult year, but it was nice to keep the routine of popping into this board to discuss SNL when everything else seemed like a trial.

• Love 5

Pete Martell mentioned with Regina King hosting in a few weeks how he still thinks of her from 227.  I thought I would post this clip of a a mini-reunion of her and Marla Gibbs from King's cop drama Southland from a few years ago. I always thought it was cute. Brenda!

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2