Type keyword(s) to search

Monk - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I got 18 out of 22.  I guess incorrectly about how many eps the psychiatrist was in even though I suspected I was wrong.  Also wrong about how many actors played Dale The Whale.  I got the number of novels wrong but did get the streaming show correct.  And I was wrong on the phobias--why I underestimated that one, I do not know.

• Love 6

17/22

Didn't know there was a web series or books. Also didn't know which network Monk was aired on since I don't live in America and I totally guessed which tv show Tony Shalhoub was on before 🤷‍♀️ So, overall I think "not bad."

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, christie said:

I totally guessed which tv show Tony Shalhoub was on before

That one was easy for me because my mom's a fan of "Wings" :D. I got into that show through watching it with her-first thing I'd ever seen him in (and he's hilarious on there). 

And funny enough, they used to show "Wings" reruns on the USA Network (which is where my mom first came across that show), which of course, also aired "Monk". Good cross-promotion opportunity, and all that :).

• Love 6

15 out of 22. I thought I knew the show better. I didn't know about the books or web series or which shows the actors were on previously. Got the phobias right and the psychiatrists right and a few wild guesses...

• Love 5
Just now, Gramto6 said:

15 out of 22. I thought I knew the show better. I didn't know about the books or web series or which shows the actors were on previously. Got the phobias right and the psychiatrists right and a few wild guesses...

I bet we'd all get 100% right if the quiz was just about the content of the episodes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I bet we'd all get 100% right if the quiz was just about the content of the episodes.

Someone needs to make a quiz like that. Or find one. But make it difficultly: hard 😆

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh I'd probably suck at that quiz.  I forget details so much.  Which is why I forgot how many phobias he had.  Or how many whales there were.  

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I wouldn't have (and wouldn't expect to; as I said, I was a very casual fan and haven't seen it in some time) -- I didn't know how many Dale the Whales there were (I originally guessed three, but unfortunately changed my guess to two) or that Tony Shalhoub is the only cast member to appear in all episodes.

Dr. Kroger being in more episodes and Snoop Dogg being the rapper I only got via guessing, although I was pretty sure about the first one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Dr. Kroger being in more episodes and Snoop Dogg being the rapper I only got via guessing, although I was pretty sure about the first one.

Admittedly I guessed on the Drs. Kroger vs Bell question, but Kroger was in six seasons to Bell's two, so I assumed. 

I think I might put together a quiz for you guys, now...

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Admittedly I guessed on the Drs. Kroger vs Bell question, but Kroger was in six seasons to Bell's two, so I assumed. 

I couldn't remember how far along in the series the actor died, so I knew it was either Dr. Kroger had been in more or they'd been in the same, but I figured it was the former.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I couldn't remember how far along in the series the actor died, so I knew it was either Dr. Kroger had been in more or they'd been in the same, but I figured it was the former.

Ooh that was my mistake.  In my head, I was thinking about Natalie and Sharona and how Sharona left almost exactly in the middle (she didn't but it was closer to the middle than Kroger.)  I should not have made that mistake. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It was just very one dimensional. Not much there.

That makes me sad, and now I'm glad I haven't read them, because I wouldn't want them to ruin the show for me.

• Love 4
Just now, LexieLily said:

That makes me sad, and now I'm glad I haven't read them, because I wouldn't want them to ruin the show for me.

Oh, didn't ruin the show for me. In fact it was an episode that I'd seen. It was just that Tony is such a presence, I didn't feel the same interest.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yeah, I'd just want to check them out for curiosity's sake more than anything, if I ever happen to come across any of 'em :). I can see where it'd be easy to feel that way while reading one, though. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, didn't ruin the show for me. In fact it was an episode that I'd seen. It was just that Tony is such a presence, I didn't feel the same interest.

Some of the novels were written about the canon-episodes? That's interesting!

• Love 3
(edited)
3 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Some of the novels were written about the canon-episodes? That's interesting!

Yep, I'll see if I can find my copy. It's in one of my piles of books somewhere around here. It's narrated by Natalie.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep, I'll see if I can find my copy. It's in one of my piles of books somewhere around here. It's narrated by Natalie.

I'd be interested to know what episode it covered, at least.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

I'd be interested to know what episode it covered, at least.

I was wrong. It's called Mr. Monk Goes To The Firehouse. Monk has to stay with Natalie and Julie because his place is being fumigated for termites. One thing that stood out to me (being a fan of Emergency!) is there is a fireman called Captain Mantooth.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I only read the one. 

Oh. That's what I get for skimming, LOL. 
I conflated your post with @Annber03's:

On 7/23/2021 at 7:04 PM, Annber03 said:

21. I wasn't sure of the number of novels, which I probably should've known, given I used to shelve them when I worked at a bookstore. Haven't read them yet, though....

--and was wrongly imagining one of you had them all sitting on a shelf in your home. 

Anyhoo, here's a link with info: https://monk.fandom.com/wiki/Mr._Monk_(book_series)

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I recently watched, Mr. Monk and the Three Pies.

I was thinking to myself, if I were stuck in a house for an extended period of time, who would I rather be stuck in the house with, Ambrose or Adrian?

I think I would rather be stuck in a house with Ambrose.  Yes, the house would get smaller and smaller with all of the stuff he refused to throw out simply because he wanted to keep it all in case his dad came back.   But he was nowhere as needy as Monk.

Of the two who would you rather be stuck in house with?

I think Adrian. He does all that housework that I hate and he has simple taste in food. As long as it doesn't touch.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Of the two who would you rather be stuck in house with?

Ambrose.  Monk would think my very presence meant I should act as his assistant, he'd keep trying to demand I do things for him he's perfectly capable of doing for himself, and I would have to kill him (secure in the knowledge I could get away with it, since no one in the entire SFPD can solve a crime without him).

Ambrose is nice and quiet, used to being alone, and wouldn't pester me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I was thinking to myself, if I were stuck in a house for an extended period of time, who would I rather be stuck in the house with, Ambrose or Adrian?

Does this include being assistant-consultant on Monk's crime-solving? Because that might be kind of cool. If Stottlemeyer and Randy brought over the case files and crime scene photos I could live out my Nancy Drew fantasies.

Though @Bastet makes an excellent point about Ambrose. 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Does this include being assistant-consultant on Monk's crime-solving? Because that might be kind of cool. If Stottlemeyer and Randy brought over the case files and crime scene photos I could live out my Nancy Drew fantasies.

LOL, right? My thoughts exactly :D. 

I'm a total homebody sort, so I too would fit in just fine with Ambrose. But Monk might get me out of the house a little more often when needed, so.... Plus, the stuffiness of the house might get to me after a while. 

• Love 4
On 3/22/2015 at 4:48 AM, amensisterfriend said:

I'm also loving Ambrose, especially as he wasn't used too frequently. He was not only amusing but added depth to Monk's character for me.

I love Ambrose!!!! I wish I had seen him more as well.

"Going out on dates... Going out on Dates With Women! At twenty-six years of age!!!!"

On 3/23/2015 at 6:01 AM, random chance said:

Considering how long it ran, I thought it was quite a feat that it stayed as fresh as it did. 

One of the things I loved about the show.  They stuck to the original formula for eight seasons and kept it interesting!

Andrew McCarthy as the bad guy was great, although he was my teen celebrity crush! I love how Monk outsmarted him, and also Patrick Kloster (Mr Monk and The Genius).  I mean, Monk (and Ambrose) is a genius too.

On 3/23/2015 at 10:55 PM, cincivic said:

"You can't clean nature with nature!".

"Nature Dirty!!!"

Also, I was impressed with Julie and Benjy.  They were both really kind, decent and great kids.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SarahPrtr said:

I love Ambrose!!!! I wish I had seen him more as well.

"Going out on dates... Going out on Dates With Women! At twenty-six years of age!!!!"

I love Sharona's reaction to that, and Ambrose's list of all the other things Monk was doing that he wasn't. "...he's a regular Evil Knievel!"

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, SarahPrtr said:

Also, I was impressed with Julie and Benjy.  They were both really kind, decent and great kids.

Yes, Julie and Benjy were "really kind, decent and great kids" but also believable, because they sometimes laughed a little at Monk, but not in mean ways, and they sometimes rebelled against their moms, but not too much.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Natalie should have asked Stottlemeyer to investigate to make sure Trudy was alive, and told nothing to Monk about it.  Natalie has been around long enough to know that it doesn't take much for Monk to spiral.

I can understand her desire to tell him in and of itself, both because, as she notes, she'd want someone to do the same if it were Mitch, and also because if Leland was investigating it, no matter how careful he was, chances are Monk probably would've noticed something was up eventually anyway, or found out some other way what was going on (especially if he happened to encounter her himself when out and about somewhere, the way Natalie had). So maybe she figured it was better he was in on the details right away as a result, painful though it would be for him. 

But even so, fair point that they could've at least tried to wait to let him in on the details until they knew for certain one way or another who this woman was. If it was Trudy, then they could've figured out how to tell him and gone from there, if it wasn't, well, then, Monk wouldn't know and all would've been fine. 

I do agree that Randy's resentment bit didn't help matters. I don't blame him for feeling hurt when Leland clarified who he was really talking about, but yeah, maybe wait on dealing with that part of things until after the case is over. 

I do personally still like the episode, though, just 'cause it is interesting to see how everyone deals with the possibility of Trudy being alive (highly unlikely though the possibility would be, sure, but hey, then again, weirder things have happened in the real world on that front, so...). And I like the bit where Monk explains to Natalie how he knew this woman wasn't Trudy. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, Julie and Benjy were "really kind, decent and great kids" but also believable, because they sometimes laughed a little at Monk, but not in mean ways, and they sometimes rebelled against their moms, but not too much.

We didn't know the Stottlemeyer boys nearly as well but I like to think they were the same way, as far as kind and decent kids went. Even Jared pulled it together at the end of the Rock Concert episode.

Julie made up for it at the end with the bravery medal she made for Monk and I totally get that peer pressure is a thing especially at the age she was during the astronaut episode, but I also thought she was entirely too old to be doing nothing when her bratty classmates were using the red laser lights on Monk during Career Day. The teacher (or Natalie, who was there!) should have stopped that obnoxious child.

• Love 4

I'm late to Monk, I just started watching the series a few weeks ago. I love it.  I'm on season 7 and I've noticed that more often then not the killer/suspect is revealed before Monk solves the case usually at some point in the beginning of the episode, while in earlierseasons i never noticed that happen. . I just watched "Mr Monk on wheels " and now "Mr Monk and the lady next door" (season 7) there are other episodes but I watched these 2 today.  My point is I really enjoy it more when it's all revealed at the end like a real mystery as in  earlier seasons.  Lol.  I know I sound crazy.

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 4

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Monk. MeTV added it to their Sunday night lineup. And now I've found it weekdays on one of the Hallmark channels  3 episodes from noon to 3 pm ET. The Hallmark episodes are airing the last season (8).

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Cozytea said:

My point is I really enjoy it more when it's all revealed at the end like a real mystery as in  earlier seasons.  Lol.  I know I sound crazy.

Ha, I think that's a common critique among those who watch mystery series :p. Which makes sense, 'cause it's fun to try and solve the case along with the characters. I do find it fun, though, when there's an episode where we know who did it, but we don't know why or how. Given how elaborate and strange some of the cases can be, that makes it more fun to try and figure out the "how" :D. 

Anywho, glad you're discovering the show and liking it! Would love to hear your thoughts further once you finish the series completely, and in general :). 

• Love 3

It’s too bad there isn’t a full forum for this show, because what I’m about to type would go in the unpopular opinion thread.

I enjoyed the show okay, but GOOD GOD. I don’t know how Randy made it to Lieutenant, let alone a cop. I’ve never seen such a clueless moron. And don’t get me started on the out of the blue wuv between him and Sharona at the end, which was so forced.

As for Adrian Monk himself-I only liked him when he was dealing with/talking about Trudy, and revealing how the killer did the deed. Otherwise, he was such a passive aggressive jerk to both Sharona and Natalie.

Yes, I binged the entire series in two weeks. The finale was so underwhelming. Like the Judge gave any shits about the baby Trudy had when he had her put in an orphanage; and that he would know who “she” was before he took the tropey coward’s way and killed himself.

The character of Dale the Whale got more ridiculous with each recast, the last one being the worst.

But I did enjoy seeing the cast of guest stars that I had seen also appear on Psych. Brooke Adams appeared the most, playing five different characters.

And like others, I liked both Dr. Kroger (who’dathunk Stanley Kamel as a Good Guy?) and Dr. Bell.

I LOATHED Howard and couldn’t understand why they kept bringing his annoying ass back again and again.

That’s all I have for now. It’s late.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And don’t get me started on the out of the blue wuv between him and Sharona at the end, which was so forced.

Girlfriend, come belly up to the virtual, pandemic-safe bar and get started all you want as drinks are on me.  That was ridiculous.  I don't even care all that much about this show, but that storyline still pisses me off on Sharona's behalf whenever I'm reminded of it.  RANDY?!

Since you're a new viewer, did you come across the "Mr. Monk Shelters in Place" quarantine special after exploring the show?  No one even asking Randy about Sharona lets me live in a happy place where she came to her senses about five minutes after the series ended and never actually wasted any of her or Benji's time on that relationship.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Girlfriend, come belly up to the virtual, pandemic-safe bar and get started all you want as drinks are on me.  That was ridiculous.  I don't even care all that much about this show, but that storyline still pisses me off on Sharona's behalf whenever I'm reminded of it.  RANDY?!

Since you're a new viewer, did you come across the "Mr. Monk Shelters in Place" quarantine special after exploring the show?  No one even asking Randy about Sharona lets me live in a happy place where she came to her senses about five minutes after the series ended and never actually wasted any of her or Benji's time on that relationship.

Can I join you at that pandemic-safe bar and drink some lemonade instead, @Bastet? Randy is a good man underneath all the ninja theories and he was a step up from her deadbeat ex-husband and her murderer-of-the-week ex-boyfriends from canon, but once they were alone in Summit I didn't see that relationship lasting much longer. The end of the series was meant to tie up everyone's story in a nice bow, hence rushing everyone sans Monk into a HEA, and the idiocy that was Natalie and Steven Albright doesn't even deserve a mention. TK seemed fine enough for Leland but we literally only met her once before they got married, so who knows?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But I did enjoy seeing the cast of guest stars that I had seen also appear on Psych. Brooke Adams appeared the most, playing five different characters.

Just FYI: Brooke Adams and Tony Shalhoub (Monk) have been married since 1992.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The character of Dale the Whale got more ridiculous with each recast, the last one being the worst

Yes. Ugh.

• Love 4

I don't mind Randy and Sharona, myself - like @LexieLily said, at least he was a decent guy, compared to some of the jerks that Sharona often dated (though for those who don't care for the pairing, I will say that given Sharona's iffy dating history, it would track that she would go for someone as goofy and ridiculous as Randy as a result :p). And watching back some of the early season episodes, there does seem to be some hints and a bit of groundwork being laid in regards to them showing interest in each other - I'm thinking specifically, for instance, of that one episode where she sees that personals ad of his in which he seems to describe a woman that sounds a lot like her, and he also makes a point of saying "Kids okay", thus implying that her having a son wouldn't scare him off. 

But I can also see why some think they wouldn't have lasted, either, for a whole host of reasons. 

As for the finale, I'll agree that Rickover's feelings for the baby don't seem to really fit with his otherwise cruel and awful plot and demeanor. My biggest wrinkle regarding that particular storyline is that it totally screws up the timeline of Monk and Trudy's relationship. Trudy says everything with Rickover and the baby happened before she met Monk, but we know from canon that Monk and Trudy met while in college in about 1980/1981, and yet  once Monk learns about Molly, it's revealed she was born in 1983, so...yeah. 

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I LOATHED Howard and couldn’t understand why they kept bringing his annoying ass back again and again.

I can also agree with this. Oddly enough, I think I preferred Kevin out of the two of them -they both annoyed Monk to no end and Kevin certainly had his own issues, but he did aso have a few nice moments with Monk, too. 

(Honestly, though every time I see Howard I just think of his character from "Will & Grace", which may factor into my view as well - it's just a tough association to shake for some reason :p.)

But yeah, the episodes with Howard don't tend to rank among my top favorites, save for the one where he's first introduced. That one is among my favorites of the series in general - but it's because of the main storyline involving Sharona. The only time Howard pops up is when he and Monk first meet in the waiting room. I do like when they're arguing over how to organize the magazines in the waiting room, too, 'just 'cause I can relate to that particular debate. For the record, I would organize them the way Monk does :D. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Ha, I think that's a common critique among those who watch mystery series :p. Which makes sense, 'cause it's fun to try and solve the case along with the characters. I do find it fun, though, when there's an episode where we know who did it, but we don't know why or how. Given how elaborate and strange some of the cases can be, that makes it more fun to try and figure out the "how" :D. 

Anywho, glad you're discovering the show and liking it! Would love to hear your thoughts further once you finish the series completely, and in general :). 

That's what made Columbo unique. We always knew whodunnit, it was more about howcatchem.

• Love 3

@GHScorpiosRule - I can't imagine bingeing Monk but if I had, I might agree with your assessment because I think you captured most of my pet peeves about some of the characters and the way they ended the series.

But because I watched the series when it was on the air, I disagree somewhat regarding Monk himself. It was always fascinating and sometimes endearing to watch Monk re-engage with the world. Adrian could be a jerk but there was always something more going on under the surface. Tony Shaloub is a great actor. But the subtleties that stayed with you week to week might not play as well all at once. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Don’t mind if I do! Gimme a few 🥃🥃🥃 and 🍹🍹🍹🍹. Even if there were a few scenes that looked like flirting, I didn’t buy it because first, it’s Randy; and second, Sharona had a type-all losers/jerks/assholes, and Randy was the opposite. Plus, I don’t think every “teasing” or bantering among characters automatically means or equals “planting the seeds” for them becoming a couple.🙄🙄🙄🙄

I didn’t no. But I’ll check it out.

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Just FYI: Brooke Adams and Tony Shalhoub (Monk) have been married since 1992.

I didn’t know that, but did wonder if she was married or involved with someone on the show. At least Brooke is a good actress, unlike other actors  and actresses on other shows that got the same treatment.

I would have loved to have seen Christine Baranski guest star here, though.

12 minutes ago, tessaray said:

@GHScorpiosRule - I can't imagine bingeing Monk but if I had, I might agree with your assessment because I think you captured most of my pet peeves about some of the characters and the way they ended the series.

But because I watched the series when it was on the air, I disagree somewhat regarding Monk himself. It was always fascinating and sometimes endearing to watch Monk re-engage with the world. Adrian could be a jerk but there was always something more going on under the surface. Tony Shaloub is a great actor. But the subtleties that stayed with you week to week might not play as well all at once. 

I think I only saw a couple episodes during its initial run and didn’t mind how he behaved with other people. Like the one where he was on the jury, for example. It was his treatment of and toward Sharona and Natalie that annoyed. And it’s all due to Shaloub’s talent that he gave Adrian such gravitas, layers, and yes, moments of laughter, that I don’t hate him.

It’s interesting that two of his Wings costars appeared, but Tim Daly played himself. Someone in the writing room either didn’t do their research or ignored Tim (if he mentioned it), but he did play a villain-he played cult leader David Koresh.  But I guess that revelation wouldn’t have worked with the plot, so…hand wave it away.

So many more thoughts, but I will post later. 

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think I only saw a couple episodes during its initial run and didn’t mind how he behaved with other people. Like the one where he was on the jury, for example. It was his treatment of and toward Sharona and Natalie that annoyed. And it’s all due to Shaloub’s talent that he gave Adrian such gravitas, layers, and yes, moments of laughter, that I don’t hate him.

It’s interesting that two of his Wings costars appeared, but Tim Daly played himself. Someone in the writing room either didn’t do their research or ignored Tim (if he mentioned it), but he did play a villain-he played cult leader David Koresh.  But I guess that revelation wouldn’t have worked with the plot, so…hand wave it away.

I think it also helps that the other characters didn't coddle Monk in the moments when he was acting like a jerk or getting too into his own head or whatever. Instead, they called him out and made it clear that his phobias/issues/etc. didn't excuse or justify his not-so-great behavior. 

Did not know that about Daly playing Koresh, wow. That's interesting. I like the episodes where his "Wings" co-stars appear :). The one with Steven Weber is tough to watch because of how utterly cruel his character is, but I do like that one all the same. 

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Did not know that about Daly playing Koresh, wow. That's interesting. I like the episodes where his "Wings" co-stars appear :). The one with Steven Weber is tough to watch because of how utterly cruel his character is, but I do like that one all the same. 

Oh yeah. I remember on Politically Incorrect when Tim was on, another guest went off about how he hated when actors played cult leaders/killers, thus glorifying them, and the movie (television movie on ABC, I think) had just come out, and Tim is sitting right there. Clearly the guest hadn’t seen it or knew of Tim’s work.

The first time I saw Tim, he played a stalker on Midnight Caller. So clearly Sharona isn’t as knowledgeable a fan as she claimed!😆😆😆😆

The one with Stephen Weber was very difficult to watch. I don’t like it when he plays a bad guy or asshole. I can deal with a con guy, as he did on Psych as Shawn’s uncle. But it was great to see Tony and Stephen onscreen together again.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3