Type keyword(s) to search

Act Naturally: Roseanne Cast Members In Other Roles

That reminds me of several years back when I finally realized Jamie (central figure) of Halloween 4 and 5 was Danielle Harris, who played Molly Tilden.  Only four years had passed between projects and she looked very much the same, but despite how many times I'd seen the films and the Roseanne episodes, it took years to dawn on me. 

While on the subject of cast members in other roles, I love Boys Don't Cry, and think Lecy is quite good in it.  You can tell she's breathing in the shot when Candace is supposed to be dead, but I blame that on the low budget rather than her -- it's a long, panning shot, and they were limited in takes, so they'd have to go with what was best overall even if one can see the actor breathing in that one.

She's also good in Love, Ludlow.

I haven't truly enjoyed Sara Gilbert in anything outside of the show.  She was fine in Poison Ivy and an episode of Law & Order: SVU (Lecy also appeared in the latter and did a good job), and I haven't seen most of her other credits, but of those I've seen, Roseanne is the only one where she had moments that really made me sit up and notice. 

• Love 1

I haven't truly enjoyed Sara Gilbert in anything outside of the show.  She was fine in Poison Ivy and an episode of Law & Order: SVU (Lecy also appeared in the latter and did a good job), and I haven't seen most of her other credits, but of those I've seen, Roseanne is the only one where she had moments that really made me sit up and notice. 

Loved 'Poison Ivy', not so much for Sara, but for Drew Barrymore. I taped it off Cinemax on a VHS when I was a kid. LOL. I have to agree that I've only ever really enjoyed Sara's acting on Roseanne. I think she did a good job with the role, especially seeing how she actually is in 'everyday' life on the talk. She's nothing like Darlene attitude wise. So, she really was acting. 

Just popping in to mention that if anyone is interested in checking out Laurie Metcalf in something really fantastic, I recommend the HBO show Getting On.

It's about the doctors and nurses in the geriatric extended care wing of a hospital. It's funny and dark and touching and incredibly smart. The whole cast is wonderful and the writing is perfect and LM just shines while playing Dr. Jenna James, who is a bit uptight and lacking in social skills, but is in truth a really good doctor. She does all sorts of research studies that she speaks about with an incredibly passionate, somewhat maniacal gleam in her eye. 

In my opinion, it's definitely worth a watch. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

Just popping in to mention that if anyone is interested in checking out Laurie Metcalf in something really fantastic, I recommend the HBO show Getting On.

It's about the doctors and nurses in the geriatric extended care wing of a hospital. It's funny and dark and touching and incredibly smart. The whole cast is wonderful and the writing is perfect and LM just shines while playing Dr. Jenna James, who is a bit uptight and lacking in social skills, but is in truth a really good doctor. She does all sorts of research studies that she speaks about with an incredibly passionate, somewhat maniacal gleam in her eye. 

In my opinion, it's definitely worth a watch. 

Laurie Metcalf in Getting On is pure, uncut BRILLIANCE. You're laughing hysterically at her one minute, you're kind of pissed at her the next minute, and your heart totally breaks for her the next minute. You're right, the whole cast is enchanting and pitch-perfect, as is the writing. The only thing that totally sucks about that show is that there are only 18 episodes.

• Love 1
On 3/9/2017 at 1:26 PM, Aja said:

Laurie Metcalf in Getting On is pure, uncut BRILLIANCE. You're laughing hysterically at her one minute, you're kind of pissed at her the next minute, and your heart totally breaks for her the next minute. 

I completely agree! She's absolute perfection in this role. 

I love that no matter how frustrated I get with Dr. James when she's being either totally insensitive or a complete jerk, I still feel all protective of her when she's dealt a hand of crap. 

You're right that the only bad thing is that there are so few episodes. It's annoying that some crappy shows can get season after season while something as brilliant as this show only gets 18 episodes. Although, I suppose that might have more to do with actor availability than anything else. I think all the leads have multiple projects going on. 

• Love 1
On 3/10/2017 at 6:33 PM, SparklesBitch said:

I completely agree! She's absolute perfection in this role. 

I love that no matter how frustrated I get with Dr. James when she's being either totally insensitive or a complete jerk, I still feel all protective of her when she's dealt a hand of crap. 

You're right that the only bad thing is that there are so few episodes. It's annoying that some crappy shows can get season after season while something as brilliant as this show only gets 18 episodes. Although, I suppose that might have more to do with actor availability than anything else. I think all the leads have multiple projects going on. 

They did leave the ending kind of open for the same cast in a different hospital, but I think that was just more to tease and torture me than because they're actually going to do more shows. 

Jenna hiding in the toilet with the hospice lady to get the files AND one of the final scenes during the fire when the shirtless doctor comes running around the corner carrying Jenna while she's barking orders had me laughing harder than any TV show has made me laugh in YEARS.  Laurie Metcalf is a damn national treasure. 

• Love 1

I haven't seen the other two performances in that category, but Metcalf, Janney, and Spencer were all fantastic, and it's almost a shame they all happened in the same year and are thus up against each other, because I'd like each of them to win.

As awards season got underway, it seemed like Metcalf was the front-runner, but Janney has the momentum now.  I'll be quite happy for any of those three, but, yeah, it would be pretty damn cool to see Aunt Jackie win an Oscar.  Take that, Shirley Fisk!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Congrats to Laurie Metcalf on her Oscar nom for Best Supporting Actress for "Lady Bird" ! 

Yay for Laurie!! She was brilliant in Lady Bird, and I hope she wins. I haven’t seen the other two ladies’ performances, but they’re both brilliant as well just in general, so it’ll definitely be a well deserved win for any of them. 

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Take that, Shirley Fisk!

LOL, yes!! Perfect! =) 

I grew up watching Allison Jenney and Laurie Metcalf so it’s a hoot to see them face-off for an Oscar. They’re so similar in terms of critically acclaimed acting credentials, and kind of look like sisters.

I’d be agog if the two them ever starred in a vehicle together. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Not4Me said:

I’d be agog if the two them ever starred in a vehicle together. 

Laurie Metcalf plays a recurring character on The Big Bang Theory, and Allison Janney is one of the leads on Mom. Both are Chuck Lorre shows and air on CBS, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to do some kind of crossover episode where both characters happen to appear. Chuck Lorre, if you're reading this, please make it happen!

• Love 4

Laurie's nom makes me realize how many Oscar nominated/winning people have been on this show.

Estelle Parsons (Bev) won an Oscar for "Bonnie and Clyde".

Ned Beatty (Ed) was nominated for "Network."

Sally Kellerman (Mrs. Healy) was nominated for "Anna".

Leonardo DiCaprio appears in Season 3. Sharon Stone appears in Season 7.

George Clooney (Booker) won for "Syriana".

Shelley Winters (Nana Mary) won two Oscars!

• Love 6

It's still weird to think we live in a world where Jackie Harris and CJ Cregg were up against each other for an Oscar, but happy, too. Even though Laurie lost, it's still so awesome that she was nominated. 

• Love 7
On 2/26/2018 at 10:19 PM, FairyDusted said:

That's great! Report back please!

Will do! 

3 minutes ago, UYI said:

It's still weird to think we live in a world where Jackie Harris and CJ Cregg were up against each other for an Oscar, but happy, too. Even though Laurie lost, it's still so awesome that she was nominated. 

Right?! I figured Allison Janney would take it, but it’s fantastic that Laurie was recognized with a nomination. 

• Love 3

Hope the double post is okay since it’s over a month later. Just bumping this thread to mention that I saw Laurie in Three Tall Women this afternoon, and guys, she was phenomenal. If you have even the slightest interest and the chance to go see this awesome play, do it. All three ladies were wonderful, but there was something about getting to see Laurie live that was just amazing! :) 

• Love 9

I saw Laurie on stage in The Other Place, for which she received a Tony nomination, back in 2013. She played a researcher of dementia who begins to (possibly) show signs of the illness herself. To say she was brilliant would be an understatement.

She also had a small but pivotal role as the scorned wife of John Terry's character in A Dangerous Woman.

She is a performer who can seamlessly transition from drama to comedy and delivers in all three mediums of acting. She deserves all the success she has been enjoying as of late, and I hope she has many more projects worthy of her talents in the future. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I agree. I guess I just wish the writing for Jackie were better.

I recall Wanda Sykes making a comment about how writing for Jackie was easy because Laurie can make any line work. I think that perspective might be part of the problem--relying too heavily on an actor's performance to elevate substandard material.  

If the writing for her character doesn't improve, at least Roseanne will be an opportunity for her to make a boatload of money. Projects like Lady Bird and Three Tall Women are superior outlets for her talents as an actress, but theater and indie movies don't pay like a hit sitcom does, and she has young kids to help support.  

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, ThatsDarling said:

she has young kids to help support.  

I don't knot about her other kids, but her daughter Zoe is doing pretty well for herself on Young Sheldon. She's playing a younger version of Laurie's BBT character, and the resemblance in terms of voice and mannerisms in uncanny.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I don't knot about her other kids, but her daughter Zoe is doing pretty well for herself on Young Sheldon. She's playing a younger version of Laurie's BBT character, and the resemblance in terms of voice and mannerisms in uncanny.

It really is, and she's a talented actress in her own right. She appeared alongside her mother in The Other Place on Broadway and was quite good. 

Laurie had another daughter at 50, who she describes as having a "belting Ethel Merman voice" in an interview.  Perhaps there is going to be a full-on Metcalf acting dynasty. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

She had a baby when she was 50? o_O

I was curious too, so I looked up Laurie's Wikipedia page. Apparently her younger daughter was born via surrogate. She also has two sons, one born in 1993, and one that she adopted in 2006 at age six. I didn't know about the two younger kids, only about Zoe and the older son.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

She had a baby when she was 50? o_O

That made me do a double-take, too, so I looked it up, and it was a surrogate who gave birth.  Her kids are crazy far apart - one born in the '80s, one in the '90s, and then one in the '00s (and apparently another one, too, per the above post).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Even though Roseanne is known primarily for her sitcom, I will say that I did enjoy her attempts at acting in different movies especially the serious The Woman who loved Elvis where she was less shrill and not funny whatsoever.  She's shown in the sitcom that she can do drama, and it would be nice if she did more dramatic fare again.

(edited)

I'm re-watching season 1 OG on FilmRise. I was watching the episode where Dan almost gets into a bar fight, and realized that the Hulk Hogan wannabe was Eric Allan Kramer, who I know as the Dad from Good Luck Charlie on Disney.

It's also weird to watch a young George Clooney and realize that he's 5 years away from the break that turns him into a super-star.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4