Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Chapter Ten

I like Jane see Michael being willing to let her give her baby to an unstable couple to be a huge betrayal.

Wasn't Rafael willing to let her give her baby to an unstable couple, too? Granted, at that time she should've expected more from Michael than Rafael, but I think she's dumbly turning a blind eye to Rafael's misdeeds because of her glowing heart while being much too stringent about Michael. But maybe there's a purpose to that and actually, saying it that way, it does make sense with regards to Bouffe's thoughts about the different paths and whatnot. 

The show being on the CW just gets me real antsy in terms of ships and the fandom and whatnot so I just expect some bullshit from the writing. But this show has proven itself to me already from a writing standpoint so I should probably not be so quick to think it's gonna end up like all the other CW shows.

Edited by peachmangosteen

Wasn't Rafael willing to let her give her baby to an unstable couple, too? Granted, at that time she should've expected more from Michael than Rafael, but I think she's dumbly turning a blind eye to Rafael's misdeeds because of her glowing heart while being much too stringent about Michael.

Rafael made a good faith effort to try to make things work with his wife, in part because he wanted the baby, at the end of episode 2.  After he figured out that she was cheating on him with Zaz, he played out a few things, and then served divorce papers and told Jane what was going on.  To the extent that he was dishonest, Jane has in the past (to Michael) been pretty clear that she can handle lies if they're owned up to; she only found out about Michael's lie because she stumbled across his photos.

Also, Rafael being desperate to raise his biological child is a much more sympathetic motivation than "I don't want this child and I don't care what happens to it".

• Love 6

Also, Rafael being desperate to raise his biological child is a much more sympathetic motivation than "I don't want this child and I don't care what happens to it".

IMO that really overs simplifies Michael's feelings/thoughts. But also for me Michael questioning how the baby will affect Jane and his relatinship with Jane isn't a bad thing. Again it just really comes down to a YMMV situation and whether or not one likes/understands/sympathizers with Rafael or Michael or both.

She acts like everything he does now is just so awful and annoying. She accused him of stalking her, like come on, honey.

Are you referring to this episode, when Jane asks Michael if he's following her, and he admits he is?

• Love 2
Michael did deserve to get dumped. His lying and attempt at gaslighting Jane was abhorrent. But he is redeemable.

I agree with this. I also agree with how annoying it is to see Jane being all googly-eyed over Rafael. I don't have a particular complaint against Rafael, but she really hardy knows him, and his past (even his recent past) is at least questionable. However, I think it's realistic for her to be a bit goopy, given the state of her life and her age and temperament.

I find that the lightning fast pace of the show makes it easier to suffer through the elements I'm not into, because I know they won't last. At this point, I wouldn't guess what end game is. It could be Michael, or Rafael, or neither of them. This show isn't quite bold enough for it to be both, but I'd love it if they were-- it's almost wild enough that I can imagine such a thing, but it's still The CW, so I guess something that fresh is off the table.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

What "high horse"?  Michael's willingness to give the baby to a couple he knew was on the rocks, when he knew that was important to Jane, is a pretty big deal to her (and his attempts to keep the secret also involved telling Jane that her correct suspicions were hormonal, etc.). 

Besides that, Michael stole evidence from a crime scene in order to protect Petra, because he didn't want to keep the baby...

• Love 5

Rafael made a good faith effort to try to make things work with his wife, in part because he wanted the baby, at the end of episode 2.  After he figured out that she was cheating on him with Zaz, he played out a few things, and then served divorce papers and told Jane what was going on.  To the extent that he was dishonest, Jane has in the past (to Michael) been pretty clear that she can handle lies if they're owned up to; she only found out about Michael's lie because she stumbled across his photos.

I would also add that, at the time, Rafael was not in a relationship with her and in fact was, to the extent that the situation could be considered to have "sides", was on the opposing "side" vis-à-vis Jane.  She had no legitimate expectation of complete honesty from Rafael at the time.  Michael was her fiance and supposed to have her interests at heart, or at least not actively work against them. 

And Micheal didn't just know that Rafael and Petra were "on rocks", he was aware she was having an affair with his Rafael's best friend whom he suspected of having criminal ties.  That's a pretty big betrayal

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 2

I find that the lightning fast pace of the show makes it easier to suffer through the elements I'm not into, because I know they won't last.

Good point!

Literally the only thing about the show that I don't like is Jane/Rafael and unfortunately for me they are kind the main focal point currently. But, as you said, that won't last.

Does anyone have any theories on who Sin Rostro is? Or on why Rafael had all that stuff in his safe? We need a speculation thread IMO!

Sounds like Michael might not be long for this world. I'm bummed. I like Michael way more than Rafael. I'm not sure why, but I just can't connect with him. 

Honestly, I think the story of Michael being an adoptive father to Jane's baby and having to deal with Rafael outside of their relationship is a much more interesting story with potential conflict than Rafael and Jane's glowing heart love and perfect coincidence family.

I agree with both of these posts actually. I find Rafael fairly dull, and his relationship with Jane is the least interesting part of the show for me. I find Michael to be a more compelling character in general, and while I'm not that invested in either of Jane's romantic relationships (and have no interest in ship wars), his works better for me than Rafael's. I think it goes back to the wedding shop scene, which is one of my favourite scenes the show has done so far and really sold me on them as a couple. Obviously he did a shitty thing in lying to her and don't begrudge her decision to end things, but I don't think it's the sort of screw-up that takes any future relationship off the table. Mostly though, his feelings for Jane come across as much more...sincere to me than Rafael's. That might just be because Brett Dier is a better actor that Justin Baldoni (who I kind of think is the weak link in the cast), but it's the way it comes across to me anyway. I'm also one of the few that doesn't really see that much chemistry between Jane and Rafael.

As for Jane moving on to Rafael so fast, that's one of the few times where the show's breakneck pacing didn't really work for me. I mean, I know she didn't technically do anything wrong, but I get the sense that the show wants us to believe that she really did love Michael, and the fact that she got over him and moved on in about two minutes kind of undermines that. And while I know, and for the most part appreciate, that they're generally not aiming for anything close to realism, I will say that if I knew someone, male or female, who ended a two-year relationship to a person they were planning to marry, I'd probably be advising them to really think things through before immediately jumping into a brand new one.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 3

I think they put Rafael and Jane together that quickly because they had no idea if the show was going to be renewed or if they would only get one season.

I actually think it's to eventually blow them up for a while.  Right now, they're in the honeymoon phase of their relationship.  They are a bit starry eyed. Something will happen that will bring them down to earth.  I don't think that will be the end of them but it will put them on a path not based on all sugar and sweetness.  I do like that they've been injecting a little bit of that into their relationship now. 

But also for me Michael questioning how the baby will affect Jane and his relatinship with Jane isn't a bad thing. Again it just really comes down to a YMMV situation and whether or not one likes/understands/sympathizers with Rafael or Michael or both.

I don't know that anyone thinks that questioning on the baby would affect his relationship with Jane was a bad thing. It's sympathetic and realistic. But prioritizing his discomfort over what's in the best interest of the child and what his fiancee wants for her child (and as much as I hate babies, I do think best interest of the child should reign here over the adults) to the point that he's willing to potentially protect a murderess so she can raise that child?  That I think was a bad thing.   

To his credit, he did come around on that.  On the other hand, of Jane's two suitors, he's the one we know has done something arrestable whether it's tampering with Zaz's room to protect Petra or breaking into Rafael's office. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 5

I find Rafael fairly dull, and his relationship with Jane is the least interesting part of the show for me. I find Michael to be a more compelling character in general, and while I'm not that invested in either of Jane's romantic relationships (and have no interest in ship wars), his works better for me than Rafael's. I think it goes back to the wedding shop scene, which is one of my favourite scenes the show has done so far and really sold me on them as a couple. Obviously he did a shitty thing in lying to her and don't begrudge her decision to end things, but I don't think it's the sort of screw-up that takes any future relationship off the table. Mostly though, his feelings for Jane come across as much more...sincere to me than Rafael's. That might just be because Brett Dier is a better actor that Justin Baldoni (who I kind of think is the weak link in the cast), but it's the way it comes across to me anyway. I'm also one of the few that doesn't really see that much chemistry between Jane and Rafael.

Thanks for putting my feelings about the whole thing more eloquently than I have been able to! 

I still don't particularly ship Jane/Michael, but that wedding shop scene between them is my fave scene of the show so far and it really sold me on their love. Which again is what makes Jane seemingly throwing Michael away and falling madly in love with Rafael within the span of about 10 minutes very annoying to me.

• Love 6

I'm not sure Jane would have fallen for someone totally new so quickly, though. She had met, talked with at length, and been smitten with Rafael five years earlier. Then she slowly got reaquainted with him when he became her boss and then after finding out she was pregnant and he was the father. So the warm tingles were already there underneath and only needed a little stoking to be reignited. It's not like she met some guy the week she broke up with Michael and already decided she was in love with him. The basis of the relationship was already there with Rafael, although she wouldn't have let her mind wander down that road too far while she was still with Michael.

• Love 5

Does anyone know if Jane stays a virgin in the original version of this show? How long can they stretch her virginity out before it gets old? 

Phrasing??

Edited by Pacodakat

The original is on hulu.  I haven't watched it but I do know she loses her virginity. 

I doubt Jane will have sex this year, especially knowing they have a second year.  If she's with either Michael or Rafael next year, I suspect they will cross that rubicon.  If she's single, it could be the third season. 

I actually think it's to eventually blow them up for a while.  Right now, they're in the honeymoon phase of their relationship.  They are a bit starry eyed. Something will happen that will bring them down to earth. 

Something happening to Michael and it being the fault of one of Rafael's family or Rafael himself would fit the bill (no spoilers, just a random wild guess based on nothing).

I'm liking Rose as Sin Rostro. She needs the marriage to Rafael's father to keep access to the hotel. And her worrying about his criminal enterprises in Croatia felt like a frame job.

• Love 1

Let's not forget that Michael fell madly in lust also in about ten minutes...it's not just Jane who moved forward at whiplash speed. 

IMO Jane is being presented as being in love, or at least falling in love, with Rafael and Michael is in no way being presented as being in love with his partner. I don't even think it seems like he's in lust with her.

And just for me personally I can more easily understand sleeping with someone soon after your fiance breaks up with you than I can being in love with (or falling in love with) a guy you had one convo with 5 years ago about a week after you broke up with the fiance you've been with for 2 years.

Jane/Rafael just doesn't work for me. I know they met before, but it's not like they spent any significant time together, right? Didn't they just have one conversation/kiss? I think maybe if they'd spent more time together previously or if they'd waited a bit more time after Jane's break up then they wouldn't annoy me quite as much.

• Love 3

I have to comment on what a good crier Gina Rodriguez is. The moment when Xo tells her that Alba might be deported, and Jane gasps a little and tears up - that was perfect. She also really nailed the scene in the bridal shop, when she starts crying after finding out that her mom had been lying to her about who her father was.

• Love 2

Does anyone know if Jane stays a virgin in the original version of this show? How long can they stretch her virginity out before it gets old?

Juana (Jane) has sex with Mauricio (Rafael) when she's like 8 1/2 months pregnant.

But I don't think that really matters here.

Edited by Dougal
Tagged Juana la Virgen spoiler, just to be careful.

I find that I've had conflicting feelings about both Jane/Rafael and Jane/Michael. I think I don't mind both couples, but the thing I have beef with in terms of Jane/Rafael is that they did get together way too quickly. Jane literally told Rafael that she broke up with Michael and he immediately went to kiss her, instead of asking if she was ok, if she needed to talk, etc. Then, he jumps into it with her. They're certainly in their honeymoon phase, which means things are going to go bad for them sooner rather than later. They have to acknowledge their quick get-together, and now that Jane is slowly reconciling with Michael, I think that'll start impacting their relationship. For Rafael, his relationship with Jane hinders on her and Michael's bad breakup. 

Again, Jane/Michael are my more preferred couple, though by no means my OTP. I understand what Michael did was wrong, but I also think Jane's not in the clear either. She lied about their breakup being about Rafael. Then, she gets together with him instantly without thinking about the fact that she just got out of a two+ year relationship. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve to, but I am saying it's awfully quick and Michael has the right to be upset over it. He may be sleeping with his partner, but as far as we know, it's not emotionally attached. So hopefully, when Jane finds out about Nadine/Michael, she doesn't get all self righteous because I think she lost the right when she started seeing Rafael pretty much the night they broke up.

Also, my three favourite 'Jane romantic' scenes happen to be with Michael (their first kiss flashback, the bridal shop and now the elevator scene). Michael caring about her family just puts him over the top for me. Rafael hasn't even met her abuela, has he? He hasn't talked with her family at all, and I think if he did that, it would make things a little bit better for me.

I think that Jane's friends did put her in an impossible decision. If she uses her connection with Rafael to keep her friends' jobs, someone else who might be better loses theirs. And she's known as the girl who gets what she wants because she's dating one of the bosses. If she doesn't, then her friends think her connection is only good for her and that she doesn't care enough to fight for them. I do appreciate that Jane still asked anyway. Her friends, hopefully, will see that it's either she's persecuted for not using her connections, or judged for using her connections.

I'm glad Alba is ok. I also think that Rafael knows more than he says he does. It might not be him knowing who Sin Rostro is, but I think he's been made aware of some of the shady activity. So....if this is the case, Jane better not handwave it with Rafael. 

Also, now I even worry about Michael's safety. If it doesn't happen this season, it might happen the next and I'm not looking forward to that at all.

I feel like the viewer is supposed to be rooting for Jane/Rafael.  Michael's selfishness about 'another man's baby' and his playing loose with the law and the baby's future and not just fully supporting Jane through a tough ordeal make him hard to root for.  Even without him bonking his partner.  He's not evil or irredeemable and I imagine he'll die doing something heroic and devoted, maybe with a dying wish that Jane not spend her life with Rafael, in that way inserting himself between them forever.  

Rafael's weird dot on his left eye bugs me, petty as that is.  I feel like if I was Jane I'd have trouble not staring at it.  

If Magda is Sin Rostra why didn't she fix her own face in her basement plastic surgery ward?  How fun would it be if she pulled off the Magda mask and was another actress underneath? 

Maybe we'll get a wig removing reveal worthy of Kimberly Shaw Mancini!

I really disliked how immature Lina and Frankie were about the layoffs. Lina wants to stay because she gets to drink for free and then gets huffy because Jane has allegedly changed. So does Lina think that if these layoffs had happened two months ago, Jane would have threatened management so that Lina and Frankie could keep their jobs? What really annoyed me is that when Jane said she probably wouldn't be laid off because she had only used three sick days in four years and had been employee of the month twice, Lina said, "Yeah, keep telling yourself that." DUDE. Jane has clearly been a more reliable employee yet Lina responds to the facts with a pouty middle school retort. Sheesh. With friends like that!

Same goes for Frankie who Rafael said was being let go because she was a newer hire and had a lot of tardies. Neither of those things are Jane's fault and she shouldn't be put in a position to ask her new boyfriend to keep a less than stellar employee when they need to make some budget cuts.

I hated that Jane gave in to their peer pressure and not only asked to see the list but then asked Rafael to keep Frankie. That was totally out of line. What happened to their separation of church and state rule? I wish she had just told Lina and Frankie that Rafael doesn't make business decisions based on his relationship with her, which is and should remain true. As he pointed out, if Frankie didn't get laid off it would just be someone else.

Rafael was pretty cold to Petra, but as the narrator reminded us, she has lied A LOT since we met her and she has done a lot of things to screw with Rafael, so why should he believe her at this point? If I were in his shoes, I would probably think she was lying too.

Even though I'm glad we finally got some momentum on the hostage situation, I will miss Ivan watching Rogelio's telenovela.

I like both Michael and Rafael for different reasons. It is really obvious that Michael and Jane have a long history and that he was a very caring attentive boyfriend (unlike some people who forget anything you tell them as soon as it leaves your lips). It's sweet to see that he remembers all of Jane's stories and that he obviously cares about her family. I understand why Jane feels she can't trust him now though. It's not like he told her one tiny white lie. He lied to her for very selfish reasons, made her think she was being paranoid, and was willing to let her child grow up with a crazy cheating bitch. That's a lot to forgive.