Type keyword(s) to search

She's Superman's Cousin!: And Other Supergirl Spoilers

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Kromm said:

That's a weird way to phrase it. Clark isn't Alex's family, so why would she think of him that way? I think it's just Kreisberg misspeaking because it's not how I'd phrase it.

Clark/Kal doesn't have to be Alex's family for her to resent him slightly.  The fact is that he's Kara's biological family (and the Danverses recognize and respect that), yet he had nothing to do with her upbringing on Earth for her first 12 years here after he dropped her off with the Danverses.  In other words, Jeremiah, Eliza, and Alex were there for her as her family since Day One in a way that Clark/Kal never was, yet Kara apparently still only thinks of him as her "real" family and therefore at least subconsciously pushes her adopted family into the background whenever he's around.  Alex can respect the idea that Kal is Kara's blood relative while still resenting the fact that Kara seemingly favors Kal over her based upon nothing more than a biological technicality (from Alex's point of view).

1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

Clark/Kal doesn't have to be Alex's family for her to resent him slightly.  The fact is that he's Kara's biological family (and the Danverses recognize and respect that), yet he had nothing to do with her upbringing on Earth for her first 12 years here after he dropped her off with the Danverses.  In other words, Jeremiah, Eliza, and Alex were there for her as her family since Day One in a way that Clark/Kal never was, yet Kara apparently still only thinks of him as her "real" family and therefore at least subconsciously pushes her adopted family into the background whenever he's around.  Alex can respect the idea that Kal is Kara's blood relative while still resenting the fact that Kara seemingly favors Kal over her based upon nothing more than a biological technicality (from Alex's point of view).

I know that. I was just pointing out that Kreisberg actually said the phrase " She loves him and he’s family" for the relationship (his words, not mine), and so he either misspoke (or that the writers are going to spin it that way--thus creating a necessity that the Danvers likely DO know the secret ID, or their chances to have interacted with him would have been fairly limited). 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

That's a weird way to phrase it. Clark isn't Alex's family, so why would she think of him that way? I think it's just Kreisberg misspeaking because it's not how I'd phrase it.  Although it does seem to clarify that the Danvers family know Superman's secret identity--something we'd never been sure of before. How that would figure into Jeremiah Danvers being taken by an organization as dangerous as Cadmus should be an even bigger deal in that case. 

Supergirl as a show kind of underplays the importance of her secret identity, but with Superman its a huge deal.

I think that Clark might be "family" to the Danvers both by virtue of his relationship with Kara and that he must have had a strong relationship with them to trust them to both help him understand his powers and to raise Kara in the first place. So it's possible that Clark was "family" to them even before Kara came to Earth.

• Love 1

I'm just kind of bummed that the Alex vs Clark tension seems to be about family dynamics primarily, at least based on what Kreisberg said. I think that certainly should be part of their conflict--it strikes me as a realistic emotional beat given the situation--but I was hoping for the Alex-Clark tension to revolve more around the DEO, since they established in S1 that Clark doesn't like/trust the DEO. And then Kara gets dragged into the middle because Clark disapproves of her alliance with the DEO, and more broadly Kara's superhero philosophy in general (SuperScooby gang vs Superman's more lone wolf attitude). That, to me, feels like a more substantial, interesting, deeper conflict where both sides have legitimate arguments. Hopefully that IS the source of the conflict and the family dynamics are just the garnish on top!

Relatedly (no pun intended!), more Alex and Maggie scenes. It's got to be Alex/Maggie, right?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Kromm said:

She tweeted yesterday...

That sent me looking for more info about her... I didn't realize she was from Nepal.

3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

(Responding to the bolded part) I'm still not sure that's the case.  He might not have been there on a daily basis, but I don't think we've seen any evidence one way or the other as to whether he showed up for birthdays, helped her move into the dorm in college, etc.

• Love 1

I think they obviously had some level of contact, she references him inviting her to the fortress "a lot", he references her teaching him the "blood bonds us all" proverb, their brief IM chats throughout season 1 make it seem like she's familiar and comfortable talking to him.

Of course Alex could still feel that he wasn't involved "enough" regardless of how much time he spent with Kara, whether he saw her once or twice a year or once or twice a week, it would be a natural emotional response to the situation.

While it's natural that Superman being on the show is getting a lot of attention, it's also kind of crazy how much focus there is in the spoilers on Superman's role on the show when he's only scheduled to be in 2 episodes so far.

• Love 1

Season 2 premiere description:

"The Adventures of Supergirl"

THE CW HAS A NEW HERO AND SHE'S BRINGING SUPERMAN WITH HER -

When a new threat emerges in National City, Kara/Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) teams up with her cousin, Clark Kent/Superman (guest star Tyler Hoechlin), to stop it. Kara is thrilled to have family in town but it leaves Alex (Chyler Leigh) feeling a bit left out. Meanwhile, Hank (David Harewood) and Supergirl are stunned by the pod that came crashing to Earth.

Glen Winter directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti & Andrew Kreisberg and teleplay by Andrew Kreisberg & Jessica Queller

Here is an article written by someone who also got to view the premiere. There are few 'spoilerish' things. 

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/09/23/five-things-you-want-to-know-about-the-supergirl-season-2-premie/

You learn something about Lois Lane in the premiere. She's mentioned more than once, and not in the dismissive "that hag Lois Lane" like she has been in some past episodes.

There is a reference to a specific story in Superman's past that longtime fans will recognize immediately.

You will learn why Superman and J'Onn J'Onzz don't get along.

Expect a cameo appearance by a member of the Superman supporting cast that you haven't seen onscreen in quite a while.

Lena Luthor is not the only character whose agenda remains shrouded in mystery by the episode's end.

Edited by Kendra
  • Love 1

EW Spoiler Room:

How was Supergirl? — Donna

The season 2 premiere is definitely a fun mix of comedy and action, along with a pretty surprising exchange between Kara and James. I can’t say more, but I can’t tell you that Brenda Strong joins the Supergirl cast in a recurring role — and she makes quite the first impression in the season 2 premiere.

You learn something about Lois Lane in the premiere. She's mentioned more than once, and not in the dismissive "that hag Lois Lane" like she has been in some past episodes.

LOL

Expect a cameo appearance by a member of the Superman supporting cast that you haven't seen onscreen in quite a while.

Who? Mon El has never been onscreen ever, has he?

45 minutes ago, Trini said:

"along with a pretty surprising exchange between Kara and James."

Me thinks a make out scene, perhaps??

25 minutes ago, DCLeague said:

LOL

Who? Mon El has never been onscreen ever, has he?

My guess is Krypto the super dog. 

I want to know what the news is with Lois? I'm pretty sure Mon-El is the other character "whose agenda remains shrouded in mystery"

Edited by Kendra

Expect a cameo appearance by a member of the Superman supporting cast that you haven't seen onscreen in quite a while.

Krypto has only been in animated right?  Unless Smallville had a version?

Remember he doesn't actually have to be a Kryptonian pseudo-dog. I think two other origins are him either being just a 100% normal Earth dog, or him being a Cadmus experiment where Kryptonian DNA is infused into a dog.  And #2 is VERY possible given what we know about where this season is going.

For yucks, it could be Bibbo Bibbowski. He was in Lois & Clark for one appearance, and also in both Superman Returns AND Man of Steel.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who thinks the "surprising exchange" between Kara and James might be a break-up/cooling off of things between them? Given the way last season ended, any escalation of the relationship WOULDN'T be surprising. And I can't shake the feeling that we're headed firmly for a Kara/James/Mon-El triangle, so a "temporary break" (even though they're not really a thing yet...) would open the door for the Kara/Mon-El side to gain some legs. And it would be an inversion of last season, having James pine for a Kara who seems preoccupied with someone else.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Kromm said:

Krypto has only been in animated right?  Unless Smallville had a version?

Remember he doesn't actually have to be a Kryptonian pseudo-dog. I think two other origins are him either being just a 100% normal Earth dog, or him being a Cadmus experiment where Kryptonian DNA is infused into a dog.  And #2 is VERY possible given what we know about where this season is going.

For yucks, it could be Bibbo Bibbowski. He was in Lois & Clark for one appearance, and also in both Superman Returns AND Man of Steel.

Clark found a dog on Smallville that was given temporary super powers by a lab experiment, that he almost named Krypto but they ended up settling on naming him Shelby.

• Love 1

Review of the first episode. It does not give away any plot specifics, but it does talk in general terms about the shape and content of the episode, so I thought it should go here instead of the media thread; mods, please let me know to move it if you think it's non-spoilery enough to go there!

They give the episode pretty high praise. "There's no better way to start this off: the season two premiere of Supergirl is one of the best hours of live-action superhero television ever created. It's utterly joyful television that perfectly communicates the wonder, fun, and action of the best superhero comics.... at its best -- such as in this episode -- Supergirl is a little magical."

• Love 1

Review of the first episode. It does not give away any plot specifics, but it does talk in general terms about the shape and content of the episode,

Thanks, this just reminds me how  much we are due for the trailer. COME ON CW!

They give the episode pretty high praise. "There's no better way to start this off: the season two premiere of Supergirl is one of the best hours of live-action superhero television ever created.

Awesome, just as I expected

Am I the only one who thinks the "surprising exchange" between Kara and James might be a break-up/cooling off of things between them? 

Mehcad talked about a wedding in the premiere during comic con, its sound ridiculous yeah, it must be a hallucination or something strange that caused it.

Edited by DCLeague
38 minutes ago, DCLeague said:

Thanks, this just reminds me how  much we are due for the trailer. COME ON CW!

Maybe they're avoiding one because they're supposing the moment they release one, the Internet will explode with moaning about how the promo is "all about Superman".  They've unexpectedly put themselves in a no-win situation with Supes being man on the spot in the first two episodes.

46 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Maybe they're avoiding one because they're supposing the moment they release one, the Internet will explode with moaning about how the promo is "all about Superman".  They've unexpectedly put themselves in a no-win situation with Supes being man on the spot in the first two episodes.

The main thing that bugs me about the heavy Superman focus is I feel like EP's and cast spent all of last season telling me the show didn't NEED him. Now after a less than successful first season, suddenly it's all "LOOK! SUPERMAN!! BUT LOOK LOOK WE HAVE SUPERMAN!" His appearance is a ratings stunt to entice new viewers as well as win back old ones who gave up on season one. Part of me still is disappointed the show has to resort to such a stunt at all.

Anyway, another good review of the pilot. Apparently Cat gets a new assistant and it should be a treat for fans to see who it is.

http://www.kryptonsite.com/advance-review-the-supergirl-season-premiere-is-absolutely-super/

• Love 2

This made me ROFL:

Also amusing is that, being The CW, it looks like the makeup plan has changed and all of the characters look 5-10 years younger than they did in Season 1. TV magic!

Magic! Though I can't imagine most of the regular cast would look all that much younger, since Kara very definitely already looked 25 and Winn/James appeared like 27-29. My guess is that Alex will be the one who looks most suspiciously de-aged.

The main thing that bugs me about the heavy Superman focus is I feel like EP's and cast spent all of last season telling me the show didn't NEED him. Now after a less than successful first season, suddenly it's all "LOOK! SUPERMAN!! BUT LOOK LOOK WE HAVE SUPERMAN!" His appearance is a ratings stunt to entice new viewers as well as win back old ones who gave up on season one. Part of me still is disappointed the show has to resort to such a stunt at all.

I agree. It feels a bit hypocritical, imo. Or, maybe I shouldn't use a word strong as hypocritical, but...perhaps a little embarrassing. And it doesn't help that they've basically written Kara as a genderswapped version of Clark, either. Though I can't lie, I'm also bugged by how much of the promotion has been about Supes. I understand it, but I still wish they'd taken about 10%-15% of the focus they put on Superman and given it to Lena Luthor and Maggie Sawyer. More could have been done with the new ladies.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Though I can't lie, I'm also bugged by how much of the promotion has been about Supes. I understand it, but I still wish they'd taken about 10%-15% of the focus they put on Superman and given it to Lena Luthor and Maggie Sawyer. More could have been done with the new ladies.

I am dismayed at this too. Though I did agree that it was getting silly last year talking about Superman but he never was seen.  So I am glad they cast him (and I am happy with Tyler H) and I am glad that they are not putting a lot of focus on him.  It is my hope that after the first two episodes it really does return to a strong woman show.  It bothers me that last year I heard a lot of bashing of this show and I can't help but think it is because people want the hero to be a man and don't care about a woman's story. I think we really do havve a long way to go. And I do think they brought in supes for sagging ratings and a potential back door pilot. 

Maybe they're avoiding one because they're supposing the moment they release one, the Internet will explode with moaning about how the promo is "all about Superman".

If they are clever then this is the opportunity to squash those worries  and show a well rounded trailer. Add everybody, Mon El, Miss Martian,Maggie, Lena etc,. They should have plenty of material by now. Im expecting the internet to explode with how good the trailer will be. Whats holding them up? it better be a super long trailer. 

Anyway, another good review of the pilot. Apparently Cat gets a new assistant and it should be a treat for fans to see who it is. http://www.kryptonsite.com/advance-review-the-supergirl-season-premiere-is-absolutely-super/

Thanks, "The Supergirl Season Premiere Is Absolutely Super", love the headline.

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 1

Ask Ausiello:

Question: Anything you can tell us about Superman being in the first episode of Supergirl? —Jeff

Ausiello: Despite traveling light, Supes arrives in National City with some baggage — namely, a long-simmering dispute over something Hank Henshaw did in the past. Other than that, though, things are easy-breezy for this Clark Kent, who during the course of the Oct. 10 premiere flusters Cat Grant (among others in his cousin’s orbit), checks in with lady love Lois and joins Kara in laying eyes on the “new” (and yet not) DEO base.

While it is a little odd that this sort of thing never seemed to happen in season 1 (an emergency that isn't localized in National City of Metropolis) it's good to see the two of them acting like adults who get along and no nonsense about handling things solo.  Superman shouldn't be showing up on this show too often but definitely have him drop by on occasion.

I think the best way to view the first two episodes is like a TV movie - you've got the special guest star, you're introducing some new characters, and you're saying goodbye to the old ones (Cat dropping to recurring, Lucy and Max vanishing).  Starting in episode 3 the new status quo can begin and we'll see how things shape up.

9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Okay, if the rest of the episode holds up to these 2 minutes?  They've done it exactly right. 

Yeah, they're still going to apparently have to lampshade why he looks so young (the reviews say they do) but the outfit doesn't look as bad as we feared (the shoulder straps aren't as intrusive as it looked), his attitude seems spot on from the little we see, his voice seems right, and his Clark Kent is REALLY good.  Not a carbon copy of Reeve, but a kind of update of the same kind of meekness with a little snark mixed in. Speaking of lampshading... I wonder if they do that with his height (especially vs. James) or not.

Very impressed right now.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I will say that in that one clip alone, the special effects are about 10x better than season 1's. I don't know whether I'm in the minority, but when CBS produced Supergirl, the effects were often very noticeable and very, very bad. I could barely stand to watch Supergirl flying or trying to stop some sort of large vehicle or transportation. That clip showed that The CW has done it better. Maybe not a whole lot better, but better nonetheless. 

Also, congrats to Tyler Hoechlin who made me forget about how much I disliked him as an actor. When he gets good roles, I guess he just proved that he can handle it. But I'm the one person who hated Derek on Teen Wolf and the only other show I've seen him on was 7th Heaven, so....

I still don't want an attempted spin-off, if they're trying to go down that route. I've had enough of male dominated superhero shows, especially another Superman one. I don't really like Superman, but if he's on this show in small doses, then I'm fine with it. 

• Love 1

Another review.

http://weliveentertainment.com/welivetvshows/franchise-fred-review-supergirl-season-2-premiere/

Spoilers: 

Winn now knows Kryptonian (Ummmm...what?! LOL)

Superman and Hank have a conflict that is ethical territory. 

Cat's assistant is Eve Tessmacher (likely the cameo another reviewer had mentioned. Eve is Lex Luther's former lover and assistant)

There’s a reference to the larger DC world that connects Superman and Supergirl to a world not specifically part of their show. (Could it possibly be Mon-El and the legion of superheroes??)

Not sure what to make of this part. Seems like maybe Kara and James might not actually be together???

Some of the other romantic threads are sort of dismissed away and I can’t say I’m going to miss them terribly. I would have celebrated the coupling, but if it was just going to be an extended “will they or won’t they” anyway, we don’t need that distraction. I want Kara to be happy and find love but I trust the writers to decide when that’s the most dramatically viable.

Edited by Kendra
  • Love 1

From what little they've shown so far, I think Tyler is good as Clark/Superman. I still would have preferred they cast someone closer to the age of the character. But looking forward to seeing more Clark Kent.

Edited by Trini
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, congrats to Tyler Hoechlin who made me forget about how much I disliked him as an actor. When he gets good roles, I guess he just proved that he can handle it. But I'm the one person who hated Derek on Teen Wolf and the only other show I've seen him on was 7th Heaven, so....

Congrats to Tyler but I always thought he did a great job on Teen Wolf it was the writing / show runners that failed him.  I was glad he got off the show. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that he can act because of Road to Perdition. I was cringing at the though of him as Superman because it seems like who ever manages him makes short term decisions that can hurt his career. Pigonholing your client as Superman on the back of the "fifty shades" movies didn't seem promising. But I am glad that it looks like it is going to be done well and maybe he will only show up once and a while.  I agree with whomever said that they aren't interested in "another" superman series... with you. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Trini said:

From what little they've shown so far, I thought Tyler is good as Clark/Superman. I still would have preferred they cast someone closer to the age of the character. But looking forward to seeing more Clark Kent.

A few key things it looks like he's done.

1.) from the little we see, it looks like Clark and Superman's mannerisms and posture differ. That's a subtle but important thing that only Chris Reeve really seemed to get.

2.) Superman's voice seems pitched deeper than Clark's. Admittedly we only hear line one line from Superman in the preview scene, and one other line in the "Team Up" trailer, so that could be an aberration, but I hope it isn't.  

3.) Someone figured out that Superman works if he's a bit cheeky. Clark is bumbling, but has a tiny snarky edge in how he talks to Perry White. Superman winks at someone in the "Team Up" trailer. He also indulgently smirks a bit at Supergirl in the trailer also. Now we've been saying all along that grim, humorless and violent is what makes most of us disgusted at and bitter about the movies. But backing that out is more than just having jokes cracked--it's also about attitude. Superman needs a bit of a sense of joy. Even the comics have been bungling this a lot for years now, because they too often play him as the big stiff moralist (to contrast with Batman being the rogue). But Superman with a bit of joy is special. The last Superman I can remember doing this adequately was the one on Lois & Clark. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, silver.goddess said:

CW just released a new trailer and sure there are Gotham references as reported on some sites , I would like to see some Batman characters there but what do you guys think? 

I am looking forward to their crossovers but they have to be creative with that, Supergirl is in a different multiverse after all. 

Not anymore, she's not.  The Flash changed that when he messed with the timeline at the end of the last season of HIS show.

2 hours ago, silver.goddess said:

I am looking forward to their crossovers but they have to be creative with that, Supergirl is in a different multiverse after all. 

You're confusing "multiverse" with "universe".  She's always been in the same multiverse as the other shows. The question is if she's now in the same universe (indications so far appear to be that she's not, but we still don't have a definite answer). 

11 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Not anymore, she's not.  The Flash changed that when he messed with the timeline at the end of the last season of HIS show.

We don't know that. Nothing's been revealed yet confirming or denying that Flash's changes affected that.  Heck, we don't even know for sure if it will affect the two other shows, or if Flash's "changes" will be local to only that show (until the whole plot is resolved one way or the other). 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Didn't the producers actually give a recent interview where they said that Supergirl is still set in its own universe, NOT the Flash/Arrow/LoT universe (for the moment)?

Yes, they said that if they had Supergirl/Superman joined the FlArrow universe they'd have to explain their lack of involvement/references on FlArrow and they didn't want to deal with that.

Also, it wouldn't really make sense IMO, would Barry saving his Mom somehow cause Krypton to explode in his universe? I know there's butterfly theory, but that would be a bit much.

28 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Didn't the producers actually give a recent interview where they said that Supergirl is still set in its own universe, NOT the Flash/Arrow/LoT universe (for the moment)?

If so I didn't see it, but it makes sense. As I said, it's always been the same multiverse, but if they were actually moving it I'd think it would happen as part of an actual crossover arc, not "in the background" between seasons.

So I'd say Barry's forced to do something else to the timeline right about the time of their four way crossover. And whatever pops out the back end of that event may (repeat: may) at that point affect Earth-S (my informal name for it...) Note Earth-S is probably not Earth 3 even though people here have been using that label in some posts, because we already know Jay Garrick was from Earth 3 and there's no indication given on Supergirl that anyone like Jay is part of their history. Particularly since we saw Flash reach Supergirl's reality but the only reason Jay eventually left for Earth 2 was because nobody had found a way to Earth 3.

Edited by Kromm