Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

It's funny.  Everyone says that about Sam Page but I never associate him with Dr. Rapist even though I remember Greg.  I do, however, think of how everyone else thinks of him as Dr. Rapist whenever I see him in something. 

Hee! For me, I think that Sam Page as Dr. Rapist is a role of his that made the biggest impression on me. He pops up a lot in so many television shows that I have watched over the years, but the Mad Men role is what sticks out the most for me.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

It's funny.  Everyone says that about Sam Page but I never associate him with Dr. Rapist even though I remember Greg.  I do, however, think of how everyone else thinks of him as Dr. Rapist whenever I see him in something. 

Hee! For me, I think that Sam Page as Dr. Rapist is a role of his that made the biggest impression on me. He pops up a lot in so many television shows that I have watched over the years, but the Mad Men role is what sticks out the most for me.

I watched "Murder, She Baked: A Deadly Recipe" & spent most of the movie being annoyed. Either the actors mumbled their lines to themselves, or they talked over each other's lines, especially Hannah & her mother & sister. Why can't people enunciate?  

(edited)

I don't know if tonight's Wedding March movie will be good or not (though I have liked the scenes that I've seen from it), and I'm sure you guys will all hate it, but Jack Wagner and Josie Bissett have been doing a lot of press for it (more than any of the actors in the other movies), so it's automatically going to get a lot of viewers.  Between the Hearties, the Melrose Place fans, the fans of Jack when he was on General Hospital, and anyone else they have won over from this recent wave of interviews, I think the ratings will be very strong for a non-Christmas Hallmark movie.

I have no idea if Jack or Josie is involved with/married to anyone right now, but I want them to get together in real life.  They seem like they are having a lot of fun together, and they'd make a cute couple.

Edited by Sherry67
1 hour ago, Sherry67 said:

I have no idea if Jack or Josie is involved with/married to anyone right now

I know Jack is divorced from his GH co-star Kristina Wagner and Josie Bissett divorced former MP co-star (and Silk Stalkings actor) Rob Estes. But I wouldn't wish Jack on Josie. He seems like a great guy but a guy who clearly likes the ladies!

Glad they're having fun with this, though.

Come to think of it, I think Jack was also involved with another MP actress, Heather Locklear, for a time years back, too.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I know Jack is divorced from his GH co-star Kristina Wagner and Josie Bissett divorced former MP co-star (and Silk Stalkings actor) Rob Estes. But I wouldn't wish Jack on Josie. He seems like a great guy but a guy who clearly likes the ladies!

Glad they're having fun with this, though.

Come to think of it, I think Jack was also involved with another MP actress, Heather Locklear, for a time years back, too.

I don't think Jack is the same guy now.  I haven't heard any wild stories about him recently.  Have there been any that I have missed?  I tune TMZ out most of the time these days because it's all-Kardashian, all the time, so I might have missed some good stories about non-Kardashian folks.

In the old days -- before he married Kristina -- I knew someone who hooked up with Jack.  At that point he was definitely not a one-woman man.  He and Kristina were together for a very long time.  He and Heather broke up right around the time -- give or take a couple of months -- he found out he had a grown daughter.  That seemed to be a very emotional, moving thing for him and I would like to think that he is not quite the same guy he was at one point. 

Edited by Sherry67

Net at It's a Wonderful Movie tipped me off to the commercial for the new "Summer Nights" movie event, which has begun running on the Hallmark Channel.

There are SIX new movies in this event, according to what the ad states.  Some quick scenes are shown in the promo, so based on what is in the commercial and what I have already uncovered, it appears that the movies may/will include:

-- "Summer Villa" (with Victor Webster, Hilarie Burton and Cristina Rosato) -- premiering on July 23rd

-- "For Love and Honor" (with James Denton and Natalie Brown) -- premiering on July 30th

-- "Managing Manhattan" (with Marc Bendavid, Julianna Guill, Vivica A. Fox, Marla Sokoloff and Natasha Henstridge)

-- "A Summer to Remember" or "My Summer Prince" (with Jaxon Turner, Taylor Cole, Marina Sirtis, Lauren Holly and Vanessa Angel)

-- "Relevant" (with Debbie Gibson, Ken Tremblett, Pascale Hutton and Marcus Rosner)

-- The "Chesapeake Shores" premiere movie

"Chesapeake Shores" is shown in the ad, so it is believed that its 2-hour premiere counts as one of the movies. 

But... another summer movie is starting production this weekend.  So if that movie makes it into the Summer Nights movie event, then they will either have 7 movies instead of 6 -- or they will have to bump one of the titles on the above list to another season... like Fall Harvest or something.  Debbie Gibson said her movie would premiere in the fall, and yet she is shown in the summer commercial.  I am thinking her movie could be the one that is bumped to fall if the movie that is shooting this weekend gets wrapped up in time.

7 hours ago, Sherry67 said:

He and Kristina were together for a very long time.  He and Heather broke up right around the time -- give or take a couple of months -- he found out he had a grown daughter. 

When he was with Kristina, he wasn't exactly a one woman man then either.  It was reportedly the reason they split both times. He just strikes me as someone for whom monogamy isn't his thing.  And that's fine.  I think it'd work out better for him if he found someone that was cool with an open relationship.  Last I read, he was dating another former co-star.

Now, as to tonight's movie.  I was impressed.  They managed to pretty much avoid everything about it I feared. The background music was appropriate and not annoyingly treacly.  While the original songs weren't super impressive, I did find the performance of them very authentic.  And I like that it wasn't a part of a montage. 

The rapport that Jack and Josie had was supported with the script.  Both actors had energy and personality.  I actually got genuine chuckles from the movie.  The side characters were good too. I liked the sisterly relationship the daughters developed. It felt organic.  Duke was fun. 

And they especially did a great job with the fiance, Josh.  Watching Josie and her fiance interact, I never once questioned why they'd be getting married.  They respected one another.  They tried to be considerate of one another.  Even when work kept interfering, we could see that she understood him and we didn't get the exasperation I've come to expect from situations like that.  They even laughed together. It was the kind of relationship where I got why they weren't going to be right for one another but their wrongness for one another was a direct result of Jack's blast from the past and how that woke up something in Josie.  Had that not happened, I could believe that these two would have gotten married and had a "lived reasonably happy ever after".

This movie also pretty much delegitimized every rushed wedding we've had this June.  Early on I thought I'd be okay with a rushed wedding because hey, at least they've known each other for thirty years, but instead this movie had to end on a very reasonable note.  How dare they?  So it looks like Hallmark didn't have a wedding mandate for June.

Even better?  No stupid misunderstandings.  Well, there was a stupid misunderstanding but it was from 30 years ago when they were actually young and stupid. 

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, In2You said:

I wouldn't wish Jack on anyone. He had a very public breakup from Heather Locklear a few years back where he allegedly put his hands on her during an argument. 

Didn't Heather also allegedly have a few problems during that time, including with some substances?  (I can't recall all the details, as it seems like it was a long time ago.).  But... I guess "allegedly" is the key word here.  We don't really know what went on between them.  Kristina is the one who probably knows him best, and they are still great friends.  You can see it when they are interviewed together -- they genuinely like each other and get along, even aside from sharing kids.  If he were a bad guy or someone who gets physical with women, she would probably know it and might not be so chummy with him, doing tandem interviews and what not -- even going so far as to act on the same Hallmark series with him because he recommended her for the role.

The last I had really heard/seen of Jack before he joined the cast of When Calls the Heart was his appearance on Dancing with the Stars.  That's when he talked about meeting the grown daughter he never knew he had, and he was quite emotional about it. 

14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

When he was with Kristina, he wasn't exactly a one woman man then either.  It was reportedly the reason they split both times. He just strikes me as someone for whom monogamy isn't his thing.  And that's fine.  I think it'd work out better for him if he found someone that was cool with an open relationship.  Last I read, he was dating another former co-star.

Now, as to tonight's movie.  I was impressed.  They managed to pretty much avoid everything about it I feared. The background music was appropriate and not annoyingly treacly.  While the original songs weren't super impressive, I did find the performance of them very authentic.  And I like that it wasn't a part of a montage. 

The rapport that Jack and Josie had was supported with the script.  Both actors had energy and personality.  I actually got genuine chuckles from the movie.  The side characters were good too. I liked the sisterly relationship the daughters developed. It felt organic.  Duke was fun. 

And they especially did a great job with the fiance, Josh.  Watching Josie and her fiance interact, I never once questioned why they'd be getting married.  They respected one another.  They tried to be considerate of one another.  Even when work kept interfering, we could see that she understood him and we didn't get the exasperation I've come to expect from situations like that.  They even laughed together. It was the kind of relationship where I got why they weren't going to be right for one another but their wrongness for one another was a direct result of Jack's blast from the past and how that woke up something in Josie.  Had that not happened, I could believe that these two would have gotten married and had a "lived reasonably happy ever after".

This movie also pretty much delegitimized every rushed wedding we've had this June.  Early on I thought I'd be okay with a rushed wedding because hey, at least they've known each other for thirty years, but instead this movie had to end on a very reasonable note.  How dare they?  So it looks like Hallmark didn't have a wedding mandate for June.

Even better?  No stupid misunderstandings.  Well, there was a stupid misunderstanding but it was from 30 years ago when they were actually young and stupid. 

This is encouraging!  I'm recording it so I can skip through all those blasted commercials, so I'll have to chime it with an opinion later.

Edited by Sherry67
My stupid browser hates this site, and won't let me type or revise things when I need to!

I loved the fact that tonight's movie didn't end with a rushed wedding. It was a very welcome surprise.

The guy who played Josie's husband to be also played one of Donna's boyfriends in the original BH 90210. So throughout the movie I kept thinking about how they had all been on Aaron Spelling shows.

• Love 1
(edited)

I watched The Wedding March.  I liked it in general, though I thought it was a little slow in certain parts.  I wanted more scenes with Jack and Josie (Mick and Olivia) together to speed it up.  I liked the daughters, but I felt there was maybe one scene too many with them.   I enjoyed it when there were funny moments thrown in -- I like Jack best when he can be a little funny and sassy.  It was good to see Jack Wagner singing and playing guitar again.  I liked the friend/bandmate offering words of wisdom.  I liked Josie's mom (played by the same woman who played "Mrs. Mitchum" in A Very Merry Mix-Up, Susan Hogan -- who. I think, is Gabriel Hogan's mom in real life??!). 

I liked that there wasn't a sudden wedding (though it would have made sense for those 2 characters more than for any of the others in these movies), BUT I wish that the movie had not ended immediately after the kiss.  I would have liked maybe one or two minutes added on after that, just for some dialogue to let us know what was going to happen.  Were they going to live together at the gorgeous inn?  I would have liked to hear them say something like, "Let's try this again" or whatever.

So, although I enjoyed it (and will watch it again at some point down the road) I still would not put it up there with the favorites that have grabbed me in the past.  Those only come along every so often, but they do come along.   Between 6 new Summer movies, Fall Harvest movies and 26 Christmas movies (between the 2 channels), I hope there is another favorite or two in the bunch!

Edited by Sherry67

Okay, this is becoming more about Jack Wagner's issues than the Hallmark movies. Agree to disagree and move on. Snarking at posters is not the way to go here; save that for the actual TV programs. Thanks!

(edited)

Because I cannot pass up a Kavan Smith movie, I got sucked into Wedding Bells Saturday afternoon. The acting was decent overall (only the best friend groom actor was flat and wooden), but wow was the plot contrived. After an hour-and-45-minutes of going from bickering and disagreeing about everything to getting to know and appreciate each other, the leads suddenly jumped to a marriage proposal before ever going out on a single date, then a jiffy-pop fairy tale wedding in the last minute of the movie. These characters are longtime single professionals in their forties mind you, not lovestruck teenagers. Though perhaps the movie's writer was the latter.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1

For about the first half of Wedding Bells (I also got sucked into it Saturday afternoon), I thought they were going to do a couples switch, since it seemed to me like Miss I Can't Leave Manhattan seemed like a better match with the pretentious chef, while our down-to-earth heroine was better suited to the "I can get married anywhere" groom. There were even scenes that seemed set up to show that, like the heroine and the groom both being gung-ho about the idea of the country inn wedding while the others weren't so much, and then when they were sitting in the diner, the bride and the chef were all "eww" about the plain food while the heroine and the groom both had full plates and were eating enthusiastically. They were the ones loving the rustic barn as a wedding site. Plus, the groom had the typical Hallmark hero backstory of a guy who'd been successful in some kind of high-end business but had quit to do something more down-to-earth that helped people, so I thought that would be the sign that he was going to end up as the romantic lead. Does Hallmark ever do the thing often done in romance novels, where a secondary character becomes hero of his own story? It kind of seemed like the bride and groom might be being set up for their own movies. She has the backstory of spoiled rich girl with failed relationship, which seems like a setup for the "life in small towns really is better" kind of story, and he's got the whole rejecting the high life thing going on for him to move to a small town and either end up with a local businesswoman who initially distrusts the outsider or be established in the town when some high-powered big city outsider comes to town and needs to learn that life in small towns really is better. Both of them would end up getting married at the inn, so we could check in on the previous hero and heroine.

I also finally got around to watching Tulips in Spring off my DVR, mostly because I can't resist Lucas Bryant. I'd have to say that this is the perfect movie for someone who can't handle tension or conflict of any kind. They kept setting up all these potentially tense situations and having everything come out perfectly. The heroine is estranged from her father and dreads seeing him again -- but it's all good without even any big arguments. The heroine's Devil Wears Prada-style demanding boss warns her that if anything goes wrong with the project, her career is over -- and there doesn't seem to be the slightest hitch in the project while she's running it remotely. A few Skype sessions, and everything's fine. The heroine's boyfriend is perfectly okay, so we figure she'll be fine even if she doesn't decide to stay with the tulip farm and the broker (other than her missing out on Lucas Bryant). She decides to break up with boyfriend, but he does it first, it's mutual, and everyone's happy. Even when she has to rush back to LA for work, there's no big potential disaster on either end. The tulip stuff seems all wrapped up by the time she has to leave, and the project works out perfectly.

I watched Perfext Match again tonight since Netflix was being slow, and wow is Paul Greene in a lot of movies. I liked the chemistry between him and Danica, and it was much better than the current movie about wedding planners, Ms. Matched. 

Some of the summer movies look promising, but I'm sure there will be many clunkers as well. I hate summer tv because there is nothing new to watch and it makes me WANT to see a crappy new Hallmark movie. I hope Chesapeake Shores is better than Good Witch, which is quite possibly the most boring show ever.

• Love 1
(edited)

Unfortunately I missed the first 40 or so minutes, but I caught The Magic Stocking with Bridget Regan and Victor Webster on HMM last night. They're in their Christmas-movies-in-July mode now. I really enjoyed it, and hope they broadcast it again so I can see the whole thing. Bridget Regan is just such a stunning woman, and it was a nice change to see her in a good-person role, since the two shows I've seen her in, Marvel's Agent Carter and Jane the Virgin, have her in the bad-girl role. And Victor Webster is generally an auto-like for me. But really, I liked everything--the mom, Mom's new love, the little girl, the puppies, the relatively organic and not-too-obviously-manufactured relationship drama...This is one I would definitely put high on my list (unless the first 40 minutes somehow changes that opinion, which I doubt).

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1

Saw this on Tumblr

Women are like tea bags, you never know how strong they are until you put them in hot water.

— Some Christmas Hallmark movie my mom had on

• Love 2

Was browsing the Hallmark FB page and they must be gotten a new intern. They better have a movie with a non white lead(and not white passing) in the works to release a statement like this. Cuz nothing on the channel reflects them taking diversity seriously

hte005.jpg

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Who did they fire for being too old?

I agree about their movies not having diverse casts.

From what I got on Facebook they got rid of the lady on Home and Family. 

I'm not sure what they're supposedly working toward.  It shouldn't be some long process. POC fall in love too.  Take one of those same movie projects and instead of casting just white people open up the lead role to other races. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Or they do cast a POC and whitewash them like Meghan on When Sparks Fly- she's biracial but had two Caucasian parents instead of an African American parent. Absolutely ridiculous. Lifetime is better when it comes to this but is still far behind TV shows.

Edited by twoods
Spelling
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, twoods said:

Or they do cast a POC and whitewash them like Meghan on When Sparks Fly- she's biracial but had two Caucasian parents instead of an Acrican American parent. Absolutely ridiculous. Lifetime is better when it comes to this but is still far behind TV shows.

Did the same in Ms Matched by casting biracial Alexa PenaVega who openly identifies as latina but playing her as a white character.

• Love 3

Yeah, I'll believe they care about diversity once the proof is on my screen.  Although the person asking about 40 year olds clearly doesn't look at the ages of the stars of their films. 

I do like that the comments are taking them to task.  Interesting news about Home & Family.  I don't watch that show unless it starts before I leave for work.  I was wondering where Christine was.  I think whoever was there was said to be just "filling" in but clearly that's not the case.  She's just filling in until Debbie starts.  Christine has been a pro for a long time.

• Love 2
(edited)

They should reach out to Tamera Mowry Housley (who's also good friends with Candace Cameron Bure). She has a big following and she fits the Hallmark brand. 

And shame on them for posting that generic response not once but twice when they know they don't care about racial diversity. 

tumblr_o9vah0Cbs51rhvwvxo1_500.jpg

Edited by In2You
  • Love 1

Wait 7 shows that featured an African-American?  They don't produce seven shows, do they?  Or are they taking credit for shows like Diagnosis Murder which they had nothing to do with putting together.  They just optioned the rights to a show that happened to already have a black cast member.

6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Wait 7 shows that featured an African-American?  They don't produce seven shows, do they?  Or are they taking credit for shows like Diagnosis Murder which they had nothing to do with putting together.  They just optioned the rights to a show that happened to already have a black cast member.

Even then since when do they have seven shows they currently  air featuring  AAs? Fairytale and fallacies! 

Occasionally, Hallmark will cast people of color as friends.  There is Meddling Mom about a Hispanic family which is the only time I can think of the channel making a real effort at inclusion.  Otherwise the leads are white or a person of color who can pass as white.  It really is ridiculous considering the amount the movies they churn out a year how they manage to avoid showing any real diversity.   How many movies are they making this year?  How many have a person of color as a lead?  

• Love 2

The Watson Go To Birmingham was the only one I remember with black leads.  Hallmark makes like 40 movies a year and half of them them feature repeat actors.  

(edited)

I can't remember if it was a Hallmark Christmas movie or another network.  A family was in "crisis" because the father was a workaholic. 

He built a dream vacation house for his wife, but she realized it was just to impress others and not really for her.  Anyway, a very happy, loving family showed up on their doorstep.  The loving family showed the crisis family the true meaning of family, togetherness, Christmas, etc.  It turned out that the loving family members were actually dead, killed in a car crash right before they showed up at the crisis family's home.  The loving family was a black family.

Does any else remember the movie?

Edited by WendyCR72
Added spoiler tags
(edited)

Lol you kinda spoiled the ending there. That movie aired last Christmas on UP and was called Angels in the Snow. I thought it was a cute movie. A little sad in the beginning though. 

Edited by WendyCR72
Edited out unaltered post responded to...
  • Love 1

Lol you kinda spoiled the ending there.

Sorry.  I thought that it was ok because the movie already aired.  If spoilers are not just for things that haven't been on yet, please tell me how to edit my post.  I can't figure it out.

(edited)
8 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

Sorry.  I thought that it was ok because the movie already aired.  If spoilers are not just for things that haven't been on yet, please tell me how to edit my post.  I can't figure it out.

@ShelleySue Click on the pencil icon at the bottom left of the post you want to edit.

To tag a spoiler, use the "eye" icon on the toolbar.

PTV spoiler policy: 

Edited by editorgrrl
Editing a post lets you add anything you want down here.

I have edited the post with spoilers (and the replies quoting the original post). (I see it is a couple days old. But hopefully, not everyone has seen it.) In the future, please do not put spoilers in posts. If you accidentally do so, and do not know how to edit, please PM me.

That said, @editorgrrl is correct. Use the pencil icon to edit. And to manually add spoiler tags, just type [.spoiler.]text[./spoiler.] (removing the periods in the tags).

Any other questions or if help is needed, PM me and let me know. Thanks!

• Love 1

Am I the only fan of Crown for Christmas??  I mean; come. ON!!  Rupert Penry-Jones as the King???? 

He elevates the cliches (or makes me not care that they're there), & I like his chem with Danica McK & the actress who plays his daughter.  

And his last line?? ("You had me at 'sewing kit'!") *swoon*

• Love 5

Not in the least.   IIRC,  it was pretty well received when it aired last Christmas.  I know I  really liked it.  The only complaint I recall is people wishing the leads had spent more time together. 

• Love 3

Yes, that sums up the general reaction (and mine, too) to Crown for Christmas:

On February 4, 2016 at 5:24 PM, scenicbyway said:

Crown for Christmas was the best 2015 Christmas movie by far. Danica McKellar was a little awkward, but that actually went along well with the character she was playing.

On February 4, 2016 at 10:52 PM, Sherry67 said:

I was just thinking about Crown for Christmas earlier today, trying to decide if it is one that I will eventually get on DVD when it gets to Amazon for a low price. It really is a cute movie—it had its flaws, like mostly all Hallmark movies do, but it is a nice Christmastime fairytale.

On February 6, 2016 at 0:12 AM, twoods said:

I definitely enjoyed Crown for Christmas more the second time around, but I felt there were a few scenes lacking between the leads. They didn't spend enough time together. At least the one that had Paul Campbell in it [Once Upon a Holiday] showed him and the princess hanging out together for 2 days and bonding.

Crown for Christmas was one of my first Hallmark movies, and I was pleasantly surprised to see such a well-known (to me, at least) actor as Rupert Penry-Jones. (I've liked him ever since Cold Comfort Farm.)

A DVR snafu caused me to miss 12 Men of Christmas with Kristin Chenowith, and I was hoping to get a second chance during Christmas in July…

(edited)
46 minutes ago, editorgrrl said:

A DVR snafu caused me to miss 12 Men of Christmas with Kristin Chenowith, and I was hoping to get a second chance during Christmas in July…

15 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

I think 12 Men of Christmas is a lifetime movie.

Thanks, @Luckylyn! A friend introduced me to Hallmark movies back in November, and I was instantly hooked. My aunt loves the Joanne Fluke books, so we watched a Hannah Swenson Murder She Baked movie. It's like a contagion (in a good way)!

Edited by editorgrrl
Chick flicks are my favorite guilty pleasure.
(edited)

12 Men of Christmas is great- definitely check that out and ABC Family's (or should I say Freeform) 12 Dates of Christmas (also on Netflix stream) and the Mistletones. 

If you are checking out the Christmas in July movies, try to catch Let It Snow with Candace Cameron Bure- it's one of the better movies in the past few years. Same with Nine Lives of Christmas.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

I really liked A Perfect Christmas.  I thought the supporting actors were really strong and the couple had chemistry.  The almost tell the secret just to get interrupted thing got a bit tiresome but still overall was a well done movie.  I know the mother in law was supposed to be difficult but she was way nicer about the forgotten suitcase than I would have been.  I liked that she was a mix of snobby and compassionate which let her be more than a stereotype.

The characters were decently drawn but I was bored.  But it's not the kind of movie that would normally interest me anyway without more humor--the kind Hallmark is unlikely to be able to do.

I did think the Summer Villa preview looked interesting.

• Love 4

I just watched "A Christmas Detour." I enjoyed it very much (well, I have ten more minutes, but I can safely say that).

And most of all, I really, really love Paul Greene. He is so likable. And yes, hot. 

I saw a movie I liked this afternoon Gift of Miracles which came out last year. I appreciated that the plot was about a young woman learning about her mother who died when she was a baby. There was a romance but the movie would have worked without it.

(edited)

Did they seriously have to ruin a decent movie like Summer Villa with an annoying teen? She got much better as the movie went on and I guess she was somewhat needed for the chef to be inspired but wish they toned her down a bit.

I did like the chemistry between Victor and Hilarie. It kept me interested. I'm also glad she squashed things with the French guy pretty quickly instead of going the ridiculous triangle route. Of course the ending was predictable but I enjoyed it.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2