Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: The Darryl Dawkins Dance

maraleia
  • Start Topic

As the Sadie Hawkins dance approaches, Erica asks Beverly to help her find Barry a date to keep him away from Lainey. But Beverly comes up with a girl that shocks everyone. Meanwhile, Adam gets into a fight with his best friend...Pops.

Cute episode.  I loved Barry and Lainey, and the teenaged version of the parents; I hope we get to see them again.  I also loved the song at the end of the episode.  

Although I love Adam and Pops, I didn't care for the Transformers stuff.  I'm the same age as Adam IRL and this show brings back a lot of memories of my childhood, but I have never been a fan of Transformers.

• Love 2

I loved, loved, loved transformers when I was a kid (also the exact same age as Adam Goldberg) but the toys not so much the cartoon.  My dad didn't really believe in cartoons and so I didn't see them a lot.   R rated movies?  Totally fine.  Cartoons?   Heaven forbid.   But I do remember seeing the Transformer movie and I remember disliking it.   I couldn't have told you why I disliked it, just that I did.  But if that's how it turned out?  Yeah, I would have been pissed.   

• Love 2

The sight of George Segal in an Optimus Prime suit?  

One of the greatest things I've ever seen.  That's like a future Goldberg's submission for The KING OF DISPARATE TV THINGS MOUNTAIN.

And the super-creepy mini Bev?  Eewww.  But then later sort of cute paired with mini-Murray.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

I had to go back and look up the actors name after seeing it in the credits, but apparently the actor playing mini Murry is named James Garvin. It looked a lot like James Garlin on my TV last night. That would have been great if Jeff Garlin's real life son played the part.

Also dang if Allie Grant didn't pull off the Bev quirks so well. I really enjoyed her in Weeds, and think she's got some great talent.

For the second week in a row, some sweet sweet Barry dancing in the end tag had me in tears.

• Love 5

I had to go back and look up the actors name after seeing it in the credits, but apparently the actor playing mini Murry is named James Garvin. It looked a lot like James Garlin on my TV last night. That would have been great if Jeff Garlin's real life son played the part.

Also dang if Allie Grant didn't pull off the Bev quirks so well. I really enjoyed her in Weeds, and think she's got some great talent.

For the second week in a row, some sweet sweet Barry dancing in the end tag had me in tears.

I know, I loved mini Bev and Murry and I was with Adam with Transformers. I was with my best friend at the time and we were both in shock when the Autobots were just destroyed in the first 15 minutes of the movie and Optimus Prime dying was heartbreaking. However, we figured he would come back and he did on the cartoon over a year later. I completely got Erica's reaction to her best friend and Barry, so many siblings have been there. I was actually in a relationship, even though briefly with a friend of mine's sister and when we went out. I could just see this look on his face going: "Please, stop!" "Please, don't kiss her hello or goodbye." We use to make fun of him. Also the best Optimus Prime costume ever!

Edited by readster
  • Love 1

I thought the B-story about Adam worrying he could lose Pops, brought on by the fact that Optimus Prime was felled by the Decepticons, was very sweet and very relatable. What child doesn't eventually have a very frightening realization about death and how it might affect the ones they love? It sounds like such a depressing storyline and, in the wrong hands, it could have been terribly unfunny. Here? It was not only touching, but hilarious. 

• Love 7

I loved ... the teenaged version of the parents; I hope we get to see them again.

I don't know, it seems like there's just one joke there, and they did it. One Bev is enough! If they came up with other stories for them, then I would be OK with seeing them again, I guess. I don't know how good of an actor Jeff Garlin's son is, but I have liked Allie Grant on occasion before. I've also not liked her, but that might have been the material.

I got a little teary thinking about Pops no longer being there for Adam.

• Love 1

I don't know, it seems like there's just one joke there, and they did it. One Bev is enough! If they came up with other stories for them, then I would be OK with seeing them again, I guess. I don't know how good of an actor Jeff Garlin's son is, but I have liked Allie Grant on occasion before. I've also not liked her, but that might have been the material.

I got a little teary thinking about Pops no longer being there for Adam.

They really were just an in-and-out one off joke, and I think it would be totally ruined if we ever saw them again.  Other than broad character strokes, like Bev being a Smother and Murry and his lack of pants, this show doesn't really need running jokes--they come up with new material fairly efficiently.

• Love 2

Yeah, mini Bev and Murray are funny. Once.

I liked how Adam misspelled Optmis Prime, just like his real life self did.

Why does Barry (or rather, the actor) do that weird squinty up look thing when delivering his lines? Are his eyes bad and he needs to angle his face up to see his costar or something? Leonard on Big Bang did the same thing the first couple of seasons and it's weird and distracting.

• Love 1

I loved that it looked like some poor PA really did make those costumes and whatever you would call that thing glued to the car out of cardboard boxes and stuff you'd find around the house.

I loved the argument between Adam and Pops and the references to calcium tablets, afghans and the shade.

• Love 1

I loved that it looked like some poor PA really did make those costumes and whatever you would call that thing glued to the car out of cardboard boxes and stuff you'd find around the house.

Here it is. Screencaps I found of this INSTANT classic.  It would already be awesome on it's own... but stick George Segal in it?  Epic.

np9iUkN.jpg

• Love 4

Adam coming after baseball when Murray came after Transformers was great.

Wonder how Adam felt about Duke dying in G.I. Joe the movie. Luckily they back tracked it into a coma. That was some BS as well.

Bingeing the show is making me crave Shrimp Parm big time.

Adam talking about flooding the basement for his movie so matter of factly had me howling. Then firing Pops for being 'difficult'. He's a true director.

'I'm just gonna have a pickle.' Right there with ya, Pops.

Adam beaming with pride when Pops said that spending time with his best friend keeps him young. Gosh, he was so honored and proud.

Adam making a movie of Optimus Prime rising from the dead may have earned a fist pump in solidarity from me.