Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Wesenrein

Add me in to those who are okay with Juliette not telling Nick or Rosalee right now.   Yes it's important, but Monroe being kidnapped and in danger is a little more important.   It is also in character for Juliette.   Nick calls and says "Sending someone to you for safety."   Regardless of what she is doing or is happening she says "Okay."  

I realized why her running around telling everyone Nick cheated on her in the season premiere bugged.   Their house had been broekn into and Theresa attacked.   There was a dead body in their living room.   The FBI was running around.   Something happened to Nick.   Yet Juliette was all "BUT HE SLEPT AROUND ON ME."   Yeah so not the time or place.  

• Love 1

Juliette called Nick immediately after her first woge. He didn't answer because he was in the middle of the double crisis of dealing with Wu and then searching for Monroe.

When he finally did call her, to let her know Rosalee was on her way over and Monroe had been abducted, Juliette's first words when she answered the phone were that she really needed to talk to him. But "Monroe is in mortal danger" kind of trumps the worst headache or unforeseen spell side-effect, I think, so she kept mum and just dealt with it. I think if she'd said: "But Nick, I'm woging!" she would be open to criticism for making it all about herself. I can see that any distraction from finding Monroe would be a bad thing at that moment. Nick certainly couldn't afford to go home and talk with her about it right then. At best, he could have said: "WTF? Go see Renard!" But then who would sit with Rosalee? Juliette and Rosalee are friends. J would want to be there for her, I think.

Since then, then Rosalee is with her and completely falling apart, and I really think it was a good call not to burden her with anything more.

I'm hoping they do discuss everything quickly, and this is not going to turn into one of those TV debacles based on contrived bad timing.

Brie Turner is a great actress. She managed to make all  her emotions intense and authentic, without veering into chewing the scenery. I would like to see her go on a rampage of some sort, rather than just waiting patiently and passively for the men to save Monroe, and my ideal scenario is Juliette surprises everyone by helping her in a woged state. This doesn't have to be a bad thing-- Renard and Adalind and all the zauber/hexenbiests have been shown to be able to operate in everyday mode for extended periods of time, and only go all biesty by choice or in extremis. So maybe the delays in Juliette getting to talk about her situation means everyone finds out when at a critical moment she goes all biesty and does something appropriately and helpfully fierce, in tandem with Rosalee.

I think the main event should be Rosalee showing her power, but a side helping of Juliette assistance would be fine with me. We know that even in her normal state, Juliette has it in her to be creative and react quickly and effectively to threats. A little extra power could make her quite an ally in a fight.

I kept wondering why Monroe didn't woge in captivity and use the extra strength it seems to give him, to break free, or run faster, or something.

• Love 7

I don't understand why Monroe being kidnapped and Juliette being Hexenbiested are two things than can't be discussed at the same time. In fact, considering the dream that Juliette had it's clear there is a critical reason WHY Juliette should have at least kind of mentioned it.  It's not like Juliette was going to say, "Hey Rosalee, focus on this thing instead of your husband." Just saying you know this is happening would have been enough. 

• Love 2

I was kind of happy when she accidentally waged in front of Rosalie before it turned into a dream, because that seems reasonable.

I was ok with her not mentioning it but I also think it might have distracted Rosalie...but they should have been brainstorming on how to get Monroe back actually which they really didn't.

I'm glad Wu is finally in the know. Once he's had time to think about it, there will be fallout. After all, colleagues he trusted and respected, and probably thought they returned that respect, allowed him to be committed instead of telling him the truth. I'm guessing we're up for more Wu drama once he really processes and realizes how long they let him suffer, even if he accepts their belief and/or explanations, he'll be hurt and angry. Quippy Wu just might be a thing of the past. I hope not.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2

What would be wrong with Juliette saying to Nick on the phone something along the lines of hey, we've got a problem here and I know Monroe is the priority, but could you get Renard to contact his mother about this.  Renard is busy just pacing his office anyway, so he could drop a dime on his mother, or start the process of finding her. 

Wu said he needs to have some in-depth discussion once the current crisis is over.  I agree this is all going to be a bitter pill for him to swallow. 

• Love 1

Rosalee's already freaked about Monroe and can't help.  Telling Nick would distract him at the time he needs to put all his focus into finding Monroe before SNOW burns him alive.

I did like Juliette's brief inner debate when Nick calls her about Rosalee staying at the house.  Nick says its unsafe to remain at her own home and you can almost hear Juliette thinking "Well, it's not exactly supersafe here either."  I did love Bree Turner's entrance to Juliette's home.  Her face is calm and set like she's in her head going "I will not cry I will not cry" then the door shuts and she bursts into tears and Juliette folds her into a hug.

I love their friendship.  If for no other reason, I'd want Juliette to stay around just to keep that aspect of the show.

Meanwhile, the contrast between Adalind and Juliette's hexenbiest forms is pretty funny.  Juliette's form says "ancient terrifying monster" while Adalind's is "grumpy old mean girl."

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2

I don't think the showrunners are ready to let go of Claire Coffee. Maybe she can at least kill off Victor as a consolation prize.

No offense- but I really hope you're wrong!! I'm not really one to talk about characters story arcs being over. But for me her character has become tiresome, especially with this baby. If she would go away, I don't think the show would lose anything. We have Elizabeth & Viktor/the royals who will continue to look for the baby. Also, I think it would be perfect if Juliette would be the one to take her out with the same powers she went through hell to get back. Juliette owes her too. Not just for taking Nicks powers but for putting her in that coma.

• Love 1

I liked what Juliette's nightmare revealed about her.  In a lot of shows the nightmare would have been about Nick rejecting her for being a hexenbiest or herself getting killed for kill Rosalee.  Instead Juliette's fear isn't for herself, it's for someone she cares about - Rosalee.  She's afraid for Rosalee instead of herself.

• Love 5

I liked what Juliette's nightmare revealed about her.  In a lot of shows the nightmare would have been about Nick rejecting her for being a hexenbiest or herself getting killed for kill Rosalee.  Instead Juliette's fear isn't for herself, it's for someone she cares about - Rosalee.  She's afraid for Rosalee instead of herself.

I do wonder if that dream was really a prophecy? 

Don't like Juliette not telling anyone about her Hexenbeisting

I don't think there's been time --- she just learned about the transformation when Monroe is kidnapped.  I appreciate the fact that Juliette''s there helping Rosalee in her time of need instead of dumping on her.

Adadlind and Viktor are finally going to Portland.  I can only hope they have some kind of pay-off, for putting up with all of their scenes.

I don't think there is enough payoff in the entire world that would make up for the drek of Adalind's storyline for the past two seasons.  Victor just makes a bad storyline worse .... honestly, I didn't even notice they weren't in the episode until the brought it to a screaming halt for the "let's go get our baby" crap.

I really enjoyed this episode.  And I agree with those who have been saying that Juliette handled that well.  Basically, she had to take care of the more urgent matter at hand which is that Monroe is in deep danger and if they don't save him now he could die.  Whereas, no matter how bad her situation is, Juliette doesn't have reason to believe herself to be in peril.

Here is a question.  Does Juliette realize she is going hexenbeast?  I mean, I know she knows about the wessen and how Nick can see their appearances change.  But does she really know what a hexenbeast looks like?  Or does she know enough that she can figure that out based on conjecture (knowing that Renard's mom is hexen and that Adalind is hexen and that this happened shortly after the spell)?  I'm just wondering how much she understands about what is happening.

• Love 1
seamusk, I guess that depends upon whether Juliette has ever seen a Hexenbiest in Nick's books, and, if she has, whether she recognizes her own face in the mirror as being a Hexenbiest. She might just think she's hallucinating at this point, since she keeps going back to her normal visage. Anyway, good question!
  • Love 2

Juliette saw Adalind fully Woge (ie, make herself visible to normal humans) back in Season 3.  Juliette even commented something like "I feel a little sorry for her, even if she did scare the crap out of me."

It's clear that Juliette's aware of what's happened to her.  It's why she hesitated when Nick told her he was going to send Rosalee to her.  When Rosalee did come over, Juliette was obviously being extra careful and sensitive with her to keep both Rosalee and herself calm.

• Love 3

I hope Juliette decides to keep the hexenface for now, until she and Adalind can have a final (and I do mean FINAL) showdown. Adalind will try to use her to get to Nick, but then Juliette will woge and be all like, how do you like me now, bitch?! Cue epic hexenbattle. After that, she can go ew, ew, get it out!

I hope Juliette decides to keep the hexenface for now, until she and Adalind can have a final (and I do mean FINAL) showdown. Adalind will try to use her to get to Nick, but then Juliette will woge and be all like, how do you like me now, bitch?! Cue epic hexenbattle. After that, she can go ew, ew, get it out!

I want Juliette to stay a hexenbiest for a good, long while.  Her situation provides so many possible storyliine opportunities.  First off, we get to "reboot" hexenbiests a little bit and make them scary again.  I contrast Juliette's 'biest with Adalind's.  Juliette's is "throat-ripping monster" while Adalind's (as per her wake up call) is "grumpy kitten."

We've heard how difficult it can be when Wesen natures manifest and now we can see it play out.  Plus, again, Juliette's powers aren't necessarily "friendly" like Nick's are.  Nick's "Hey, I have super hearing."  while Juliette's "Oops, I tore out some dude's heart with my mind."

...The torture really bothered me in this episode, and I feel like they've gone so far afield of what this show used to be about, I'm just staring at the screen wondering where my show has gone. I put a spell on you, then I reverse the spell, then I put a spell on you, then I reverse the spell, then I put another spell on you, and I reverse the spell. And if you think there won't be yet ANOTHER reverse-spell ritual for Juliette, then I have to give you the bad news. MAKE IT STOP, SHOW!

And they had to add a magical baby that sucks up even more time away from the GRIMM....

The show feels like I'm in the kind of dream where I have something very important to do, but I keep getting sidetracked by little things, until I remember I had something really important to do.

Maybe in an alternate universe you and I are watching a Grimm in which Juliette uses her veterinary knowledge to help sick Wessen, Adalind is a snarky comic side character, Monroe has been hired as a consultant to the PPD, and Wu is still in the dark re Wessen/Grimm stuff, but he is more Mrs. Kravitts from Bewitched than Cary from Homeland.

And there is no torture ever.

And no magic powered babies. Just a cute foxy Blutenbad.

• Love 2

She might just think she's hallucinating at this point, since she keeps going back to her normal visage. Anyway, good question!

That's a good point about hallucinating.  Even if she knows what she is seeing, she could think it's a hallucination which is interesting.

Juliette saw Adalind fully Woge (ie, make herself visible to normal humans) back in Season 3.  Juliette even commented something like "I feel a little sorry for her, even if she did scare the crap out of me."

It's clear that Juliette's aware of what's happened to her.  It's why she hesitated when Nick told her he was going to send Rosalee to her.  When Rosalee did come over, Juliette was obviously being extra careful and sensitive with her to keep both Rosalee and herself calm.

I forgot that she saw Adalind Woge.  I kind of forget those kind of details so thanks.  I do think, though, that Juliette might not be sure entirely of what's happening yet.  She could be changing forms or as shapeshifter suggests, hallucinating that she is changing forms.  I think under either scenario her reactions are fairly consistent.  Anyhow, I like it as a story line.  I like Juliette.  Reminds me a bit of a Buffy story arc where the more folks stay in the know with Nick the Grimm, the deeper their involvement gets (eg. Willow the Wiccan).

• Love 2

As for me, I like progress.  I like to see characters progress.  Hell, I like to see people progress.  Somebody daughter stumbling around going "Mama!  Dada!" is cute and adorable when they're 18 months old, but it's creepy and sad when they're 18 years old.  The coma storyline from Season 2 sucked ass, but it's led, in a roundabout way, to the hexenbiest storyline, which looks like it's going to kick massive ass, so I'm cool with it.

Edited by stacey

I forgot that she saw Adalind Woge.  I kind of forget those kind of details so thanks.  I do think, though, that Juliette might not be sure entirely of what's happening yet.  She could be changing forms or as shapeshifter suggests, hallucinating that she is changing forms.  I think under either scenario her reactions are fairly consistent.  Anyhow, I like it as a story line.  I like Juliette.  Reminds me a bit of a Buffy story arc where the more folks stay in the know with Nick the Grimm, the deeper their involvement gets (eg. Willow the Wiccan).

Juliette had to physically clean up the glass she broke with her new telekinesis.  Figure she doesn't see it as a hallucination.  Meanwhile Juliette has seen not only Adalind but other Wesen do Woges.  She knows what that looks like.  She's also had exposure to the lore in the trailer as well as what Nick has told her.  Juliette's a competent, intelligent person.  It's likely she's already put it together.

Evil as this is, I kind of hope that either Monroe or Hank doesn't make it out of next episode.  I look at the main cast list and right now there's seven people on Team Grimm with only Adalind as the odd person out.  I like the characters of Hank and Monroe but neither of them have had much in the way of storyspace in their own rights.  If I had to pick between them, I'd have Hank killed (or perhaps moved to a new show featuring Jacqueline Tobini as Trubel).  That makes Nick the senior partner with Wu and gives Monroe a chance to be Nick's "extra backup" until Wu can find his feet dealing with all this stuff.

I will say that even though I kind of like it ("Nazis" are villains everyone loves to hate), this story doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.  From what I recall in previous episodes, we've had at least four interspecies couples aside from Monroe and Rosalee and no one said boo about the Wesenrein then.

I will say that even though I kind of like it ("Nazis" are villains everyone loves to hate), this story doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.  From what I recall in previous episodes, we've had at least four interspecies couples aside from Monroe and Rosalee and no one said boo about the Wesenrein then.

That's what I don't get. They have a problem with different wesen getting together but they have no problem with a wesen being with a "human".

That's what I don't get. They have a problem with different wesen getting together but they have no problem with a wesen being with a "human".

When I say "interspecies couples" I'm not counting Wesen/human coupling.  I'm saying that at least four other times Wesen of two different species got together, two of which were married.

Yes, where were the Weisenrien when that church with a wolf pastor was sleeping around with the sheep congregation? I do think that the weisenrien is more about keeping the wolves pure, with a side of" everyone stays in their own corner, or else!" The group seems to be primarily the bully predators ( the tomcat wesen and blutbaden, but probably some others are mixed in as well.)

There was also the lion and the mouse couple that lead to the ziegenvolk lawyer and "hijinx" from our crew.  I am blanking on the other two.

You would have thought that the group would have someone in the sciences to stop experiments like the one with the gentle sea turtle/lion hybrid wesen as well.

There was also the lion and the mouse couple that lead to the ziegenvolk lawyer and "hijinx" from our crew.  I am blanking on the other two.

There was the Klaustreich who abused his Fuchsbau wife in "Eye of the Beholder" in Season 3 (and who Juliette beat the holy living fuck out of in her kitchen).  There was the Blutbad/Fuchsbau couple in "The Show Must Go On" in Season 3.  Finally there was the Klaustreich/Seltenvogel in the Season 1 episode "The Thing With Feathers" (where the abused female Wesen grew that gold egg thing).  So that's five relationships between different types of Wesen.

Of course since four of the five mentioned involved abusive behavior and two ended in murder, maybe the Wesenrein have a point about different species joining not being such a good idea.  Not that SNOW aren't still a pack of evil, torturing shits who need to be destroyed by an angry Rosalee (with a little help from her friends).

• Love 1

I must have missed something, because everyone is acting like the reveal that Officer Acker was involved was--a reveal. He had the mask on at the end of last episode when Monroe brought out the sandwich--he was always obviously involved.

The occupant of the police car had on a mask; but who was to say it was still Officer Acker in the car when Monroe when outside...instead of someone new, with Acker slugged and removed..

• Love 1

Wu:   Are you ....?  to Renard.   Renard:   You don't want to go there .[quote fixed]   Wu:  Okay then.   Even with heavy drama there is humor.   And I am on team "better know they are real than think you are crazy" in telling people the truth.  

And with that non-answer, Reynard answered his question.  Wu knows Reynards is wesen, but not a cute, friendly type.

The occupant of the police car had on a mask; but who was to say it was still Officer Acker in the car when Monroe when outside...instead of someone new, with Acker slugged and removed..

That's what I thought,.