Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Wesenrein

This show.   Sometimes.   I was totally freaked that Juliette had killed Rosalee.   Thank goodness it was just a dream.   But who the hell did Juliette call at the beginning.   It wasn't Nick because she later asked when he was coming home they needed to talk.   It wasn't Rosalee since she doesn't know what is going on?   So who did she call?   But gah, the Juliette freaks about turning into a hexenbeist is already old.   At least they made her part of the storyline tonight instead of having everyone else off looking for Monroe while she freaked out alone.

Wu:   Are you ....?  to Renard.   Renard:   You don't want to know.   Wu:  Okay then.   Even with heavy drama there is humor.   And I am on team "better know they are real than think you are crazy" in telling people the truth.  

Monroe has to be okay.   He just has to be.

• Love 7

To Be Continued... Save Monroe.... Forget Whisky Tango Foxtrot. What the Fuck, I hate the SOBs (Sons of Bitter Women) that run this show.

Kill all the Wesenrein, and kill them with fire. No wait, stake them all like they did their hapless victims, and then burn them all. And do a little dance.

The nightmare scene where Juliette killed Rosalee, oh my god, I thought for a minute they went there.

I will consider this episode awesome if and only if Monroe is saved and the Wesenrein are gloriously defeated, preferably with lots of blood and gore for the latter.

Edited by mustbekarma
  • Love 7

I have to say, I hate this storyline (the one with Monroe being kidnapped by murderous KKK types) but then I hate this same story when it shows up in various shows in different forms - I always find it lazy on the part of the writers when they whip out this KKK/Nazi type stuff - but I do like the bit of Juliette's new "personality" - that might be fun but man, I want this other thing to end and end quickly.  

And, I'm not sure I will stay with the show if anything bad happens to either Monroe or his lovely bride but I would be shocked if anything happens to Monroe.

Some of Wu's expressions were pretty odd but I guess that is understandable - all things considered.

• Love 1

Do we need t-shirts with " got machete?"

PS/eta: I loved when Nick went all zombie on Shaw in the  interrogation room!  Not loving the violence, as understandable as it was, but the fact that Nick was very pissed then went into pale overdrive. It's not just for playing with underwater!

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 3

Sweet Zombie Jesus, laughing, gasping and clutching my head - wow what a return! Wu in the loop is GOLD. I generally can tell pregnancies pretty early from extra full lips so I'm thinking Bree is pregnant. Which could mean A) Her death next week or B) A little Blutbau in the future. Bitsie was so blank on her reaction shots, it started getting funny.

• Love 1

That was GREAT! One of the best episodes EVER.

Zombie!Nick flashed for a minute.

Wu knows!!! And is appropriately freaked out and skeptical.

I believed for a hot minute that Juliette killed Rosalee which would have been horrible. I actually thought they might kill off Monroe and Rosalee and then I remembered that would be stupid.

Don't like Juliette not telling anyone about her Hexenbeisting

Surely Officer Acker is an homage to Amy Acker....it is in my head anyway.

• Love 2

I'm not normally bloodthirsty, but I would love to see a hexenbiest-Juliette beatdown of Adalind once the latter returns to Portland--mostly because such a confrontation would enliven the whole boring "Adalind's-desperate-search-for-the-special-Royal-Baby" storyline.

Amazing how dangerous Nick seems, now that he's a Grimm again.

Glad that Wu's in the loop now and that he's so matter-of-fact about everything.

• Love 2

I'm so glad it's back! So much has happened, this show has come so far. So glad they finally brought Wu in.

Poor Juliette. She's such a strong woman, but I don't know how much more she can take. I thought Renards Mom was actually trying to help. Why didn't she tell them this would happen? It SHOULD be a quick fix right? Adalind ingested Nicks (a Grimms) blood and she lost her powers. It SHOULD be the same for Juliette. Right?

They'd better not kill Monroe or Rosalee off. I don't think I'll be able to watch it anymore either.

I really think they made a mistake sending Trubel away though. Not only could she have helped find Monroe- but it was refreshing having someone different in the picture. Only so much can happen to Nick, Juliette, Hank, Rosalee, & Renard before it will get tiresome.

I know this is really off topic here- but David Giuntoli was on MTV's Road Rules in 2003. He went on to the Real World/Road Rules Challenge The Gauntlet after that. I love him as Nick.

Knew something was up with that cop, as soon as they interviewed him.  Hopefully Renard is true to his word and takes this slight very personally!

Well, things could be worst for Monroe, I guess.  At least he isn't dead, but it looks like the cult is getting there.  I hope Nick and crew figure it out in time.  And, again: no arrests, please.  Just kill them all, Nick.  Go Full Grimm.

Wu is finally looped in! He seems to handling better all things considering, but I hope this is a longer process, and it won't just be a retread of Hank being brought into the loop.  I really hope we get some Hank/Wu stuff, since Hank will know how Wu feels.  Either way, I'm glad it's happening.  The Wu/Renard stuff was comedic gold!

Juliette being a Hexenbeast is getting insane.  I figured that scene with Rosalee had to be a dream, because I think these guys would know there would have been a huge backlash if Juliette killed Rosalee.

Adadlind and Viktor are finally going to Portland.  I can only hope they have some kind of pay-off, for putting up with all of their scenes.

• Love 1

Knew something was up with that cop, as soon as they interviewed him. Hopefully Renard is true to his word and takes this slight very personally!...

Heh, I had him pegged as soon as he conveniently stumbled out of the bushes into the car lights after Monroe was kidnapped.

...I figured that scene with Rosalee had to be a dream, because I think these guys would know there would have been a huge backlash if Juliette killed Rosalee....

I was horrified as I momentarily considered that the writers planned all along to make the audience dislike Juliette so that when she literally ripped out Rosalee's throat, there would NOT be an outcry that Juliette's character had been destroyed. Whew! Glad it was a nightmare. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

We see in the previews that Rosalee woges , intending to go after the Wesenrein. So, maybe she can bring Juliette along, and Juliette can go all Hexenbeist on them, with all the accompanying gore. Juliette's vividly gory dream has got to be a precursor to something, right? And as much as I'd like her to have a Hexenbeist-off with Adalind, I don't think the showrunners are ready to let go of Claire Coffee. Maybe she can at least kill off Victor as a consolation prize.

• Love 1

Wow! What an awesome episode! It has been a while since the last two parter.

I really liked the plot this weekend with Monroe being held as a prisoner. Loved that he fought back and tried to escape. I'm interested in finding out more about these Wesen KKK guys. How long have the Wesenrein been around and I hope they don't go away when Monroe gets rescued. I wish we learned more about the other guy being held prisoner, and hope we eventually see the man's wife.

All the cop stuff was business as usual, but it was nice to finally see Wu in on it.

I'm already anxious about how long they are going to have Juliette keep her transformation a secret. I hope she tells them what happened to her in a few episodes instead at the very end the season. I have a hard time imagining that she could keep it a secret from Nick for long. I really doubt she has the self control that Renard has at hiding his Wesen half. For a moment I believed Juliette had actually killed Rosalee, what a horrifying scene! I just hope they keep Juliette a Hexenbiest, and take her character in this new direction. No magic instant cures!

Overall, this was a great first episode to watch live. I started marathoning the first three seasons of Grimm over Christmas holiday, and finished up the first eight episodes of this season a couple of weeks ago. I wish I had started sooner! Great show!

Edited by icewolf
  • Love 5

Wu finally knows! So glad that they aren't dancing around this anymore. I really believed the Juliette/Rosalee fight, so good job show. I was very relieved it turned into a nightmare.

But who the hell did Juliette call at the beginning.   It wasn't Nick because she later asked when he was coming home they needed to talk.   It wasn't Rosalee since she doesn't know what is going on?   So who did she call?   

I'm guessing either Trubel or Renard's mother

Heh, I had him pegged as soon as he conveniently stumbled out of the bushes into the car lights after Monroe was kidnapped.

Once they showed him again, then I knew he was a bad guy, once is a walk on, twice is an arrow pointing him out, any more than that is an anvil, & they dropped a ton of them on this guy.

• Love 2

But who the hell did Juliette call at the beginning.   It wasn't Nick because she later asked when he was coming home they needed to talk.

I'm guessing either Trubel or Renard's mother
I thought they showed that it was Nick, but then he told her she needed to be in supportive mode for Rosalee. No?
  • Love 3
Zombie!Nick flashed for a minute.

They need to pay this off soon. It's been dragging on far too long as to what this actually means.

I don't think she's trying to hide anything. She called Nick because she wanted him to come home so she could tell him about it, but then realized that with Monroe kidnapped there was too much going on. She's waiting for a better time.

It SHOULD be a quick fix right? Adalind ingested Nicks (a Grimms) blood and she lost her powers. It SHOULD be the same for Juliette. Right?

It will be interesting to see if the show forgets there is a cure for this, but maybe she won't WANT it. If she gets a taste of the advantages she could have in this brave new grim world she's living in, she may want to hold on to her power-up.

Adalind and Viktor are finally going to Portland.  I can only hope they have some kind of pay-off, for putting up with all of their scenes.

If this leads to a hexen-showdown and the final glorious ouster of anorexic Adalind, I will not hate this storyline.

For a moment I believed Juliette had actually killed Rosalee, what a horrifying scene!

But it was cool, Juliette holding that piece of bloody windpipe high above her head. Heh.

• Love 4

I don't think Juliette is hiding her condition..she just hasn't had a chance to tell Nick, since he's been tied up in Monroe rescue since she found out. She did try to call him.

That dream was seriously scary.

The funny thing to me is that Rosalee, as herself, can get convincingly angry, but when she woges..she's so darn cute, it's hard to take her seriously.

I'm sure that the new Scooby gang will rescue Monroe, but his situation is pretty dire at the moment. And yeah, the whole Nazi thing is a bit OTT, but at least it's not the stupid Royals and their incomprehensible problems, right?

• Love 6

Knew something was up with that cop, as soon as they interviewed him. Hopefully Renard is true to his word and takes this slight very personally!

f .

He had too many lines! So yeah I knew something was up.

Also figured Juliette was dreaming not killing rosalee, and I'm not worried about Rosalie or Monroe for a hot second but I was hoping Monroe could himself out of it on his own. At least he did a pretty good job but I love it when Monroe gets all hulk smash so hoping we see that next week!

I thought this was a pretty good one but the outfit of the nazi/klan lazy hybrid group? So cheap looking.

• Love 4

wow what an episode. I totally believed that scene with Rosalee and Juliette, and was very thankful it was just a nightmare. I was glad that Monroe tried to make an escape and probably would have got further if he hadn't stopped. I get being shocked and horrified about what happened to the other guy but he lost his change to make it further.

I actually missed Nick go zombie but I loved that scene. Especially when Renard and Hank realized Nick really was going to kill the guy.

• Love 2

I don't think she's trying to hide anything. She called Nick because she wanted him to come home so she could tell him about it, but then realized that with Monroe kidnapped there was too much going on. She's waiting for a better time

If I recall correctly, Julia woged the first time at the end of the last episode - which was the beginning of this episode. Other than not calling Nick immediately, she hasn't really had a chance to tell anyone. When Rosalee showed up, it's not like she could have said "Hey, I know you're in mortal fear of your husband's impending death, but let me tell you about this strange thing that just happened, maybe you can help."

I was fooled by the nightmare for a minute - and then remembered it started with her being woken up. I heaved a sigh of relief. Boy, that was gruesome, though.

As disturbing as the Wesenrien storyline is, I don't find it lazy of the writers. They're world building, and it makes sense that not only would some Wesen have a problem with inter-marriage (as Monroe's parents did originally), but that there'd be fringe groups taking it to a crazy level. I can't say I love this story line - because Monroe and Rosalee are my favorites, and I don't want bad things happening to them.

While Rosalee's fox face is really cute - and I agree it's hard to take her seriously, foxes are not particularly sweet animals, so I think she'd have some chops as a hunter.

I thought this was a pretty good one but the outfit of the nazi/klan lazy hybrid group? So cheap lookingI

I agree, the marriage of KKK and Nazi didn't work particularly well.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4

But who the hell did Juliette call at the beginning.

She started to call Nick but then hit the hang-up button. I think she was kind of freaking out because she wasn't sure at first whether or not she was imagining things.

I admit it, they had me fooled with the dream, and I should have realized it sooner with Rosalee acting out of character but until the moment Juliette ripped her throat out I was totally buying it. Good job, show.

I was trying to figure out where I'd seen the actor playing the Grand Master before, he's one of those "Hey it's that guy" guys. {small voice} i recognized him from Charmed.

The TV trope is cutting to the dreamer waking up right at the big dramatic moment, and that's what we viewers typically expect for a dream sequence. As soon as it happened I was thinking this had to be a dream. But then they hang on the moment following, where the character is thinking "what the hell did I just do?" and the viewer is starting to think, "wait, did that just happen for real?" That's how they fool us, with that tiny variation on the trope. Not with the big dramatic event, but with the WTF moment that follows it going on just a little longer.

• Love 7

...As disturbing as the Wesenrien storyline is, I don't find it lazy of the writers. They're world building, and it makes sense that not only would some Wesen have a problem with inter-marriage (as Monroe's parents did originally), but that there'd be fringe groups taking it to a crazy level....

Rather than "lazy," I'd say they were playing it too safe with the Nazi/KKK symbols, and thereby made it a little boring because it's so obvious who the bad guys are.

ETA: A less "safe" symbolic representation would be something more current related to race or religion, etc.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I didn't realize this show was back last night until I came here to browse the forums.  For some reason, I thought it wasn't coming back until next Friday. 

I'm not a fan of Wu finding out the truth.  I liked him just fine as supporting character with his snark.  The actor doesn't do angst well, and besides that, now every member of the cast is in the know, and I think the show benefited from having the point of view of a regular Joe (or in Grimm terms, a Kehrseite) who didn't understand what was happening. 

They had me for a minute with Juliette's nightmare.  I was thinking wow, Rosalee must be really stressed because she is acting so out of character.  It wasn't until Juliette actually killed her that I realized it had to be a dream because there was no way I was buying that the show would go there. 

As for Juliette being a hexenbiest, the jury is still out on that for me until I see what they do with the storyline.

• Love 1

This was wild and good and scary and all of the things I like about Grimm.  So glad the show is back.  Monroe is killing me.  I could just feel his pain and worry and fear.  Wow. Loved it. 

I want to see Juliette just go flat-out Carrie on those Wesenrein fucks

I want Rosalee, not Juliette, to go all Carrie on their asses.  I see no point in Juliette doing it, it's Rosalee's fight.

Not liking the whole Juliette as a hexenbiest storyline.  Of course since I'm not a fan of the Juliette character I see this as a way for them to use her more, and more Juliette means less me.  I hate having to fast forward.

Loved seeing Zombie Nick back, very cool.  Also love that Wu is in the loop and that he is not all "wow this is so cool" about it.  He has more questions and is as unsettled as someone in that situation should be.   

Didn't buy the nightmare, Rosalee was just too out of character and she wasn't making any sense.  And while I wouldn't mind seeing Juliette disappear forever, I certainly wouldn't want it happen that way.

• Love 3

Just something that occurred to me. Not that they show her at work all that much anyway, but I wonder if making Juliette a Hexenbiest is the show's way of getting her out of being a veterinarian? Something about the animals sensing her beast & being afraid? That way they could give her some kind of job that's Grimm related, but keep all her vet knowledge for when somebody needs a shot.

• Love 1

I thought this was a pretty good one but the outfit of the nazi/klan lazy hybrid group? So cheap lookingI

I thought that was sort of the point, that as a group with such a long and "illustrious" history and rites handed down through the ages, they have rubber half-masks and high school graduation- level "robes" with ...economical material for the symbols sew on the fronts. Probably by hand. Because they're that pure, dammit!!

They told Wu!!! I liked how Wu reacted; it felt earned and real, including his reluctance to just blindly go along with the "you'll see" vagueness like shows usually do. In particular, his panic when vocalizing the "So... what, you're going to kill me?!?" when Hank was being especially cryptic, or the later "Why did you lie to me?!?!" when in the trailer, or his kind of wide-eyed caution while talking to Renard or the Scooby Gang about helping out "off the books". I'm one of those who agrees that Wu is best in moderate doses, but I think this episode was Reggie Lee's best acting thus far.

In a larger sense, that's when this show works best: when they give us the hokey supernatural stuff, but ground it in a cast that behaves plausibly- like actual people would. When they do it well, no one even notices the CGI quality or the muddled mytharcs.

Less thrilled about BTs hexenbeist arc, including the patented "Don't tell anyone when you're having issues, even if they'd be the best person to handle it, so that it becomes a future crisis" writing. Like, if you're now apparently a hexenbeist, and having vivid drrams of homicidal rage against your closest friend, ever since you took that magic potion... might be worth a mention? Granted, it's been a day or so, and things have been hectic, but i hope it doesn't drag on. If I wanted to watch people inexplicably fail to communicate, even in life or death situations, I wouldn't have quit "Lost" at the start of the third season. :)

The young cop being involved was incredibly obvious from the get-go. Although interestingly, the method of Shaw's death... was also the way Juliette killed Rosalee in her dream. Possibly just a coincidence, or possibly a hint that Juliette is getting "powered up", like Nick after the zombie thing.

Wow, the Wesenrein were absolutely vile. Well done show, because like Rosalee I wanted to gut them myself by the time we even met poor Terry (much less later). I have no doubt Monroe will ultimately be fine, but it's still gruesome.

• Love 1

Wu: Are you ....? to Renard. Renard: You don't want to know. Wu: Okay then. Even with heavy drama there is humor.

That was awesome! Renard rocks!

To paraphrase Joliet Jake Blues: "I hate fuckin' Oregon Wesenrein."

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3

This episode had way too much Wu. I think the writers are many the same mistake many shows have made in the past -- needlessly increasing the role of a minor side character people like without understanding that part of the reason they are liked is becuase we only get them in minor doses. It does neither the character, nor the show any favors.

What's worse is when the show started, it was all normal people can't know, their minds can't handle it, they have breakdowns and Hank and Wu are just fine, no real consequences or fall-out. whose next in the lets tell everyone list, the cop who used to play the Captain on Leverage? At this rate, Nick should just get his own Facebook page where he posts his daily Grimm encounters.

Why is the Royals storyline still going on? Every time they come in, it kills the momentum of the show.

Not enough of Monroe story-line. I understand they want to drag it out for multiple episodes but it could have been done in a better way.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 2

I don't know if it were intentional or just a funky acting choice but Wu last night kept making me think he was very much still about to crack up. I mean, I get that he shouldn't just accept it and that it would be a bit mindblowing that he thought he was going nuts, but nope, nope it's all real and Nick's a semi-superheroish dude. I know that's not easy to swallow. But if they were aiming to make me worry the entire time that Wu is absolutely in no way trustworthy and just because he's in the know now does not mean they can just use him as an extra hand on any and all wesen-related cases, well, mission accomplished.

Also I thought Renard told Wu he "didn't want to go there" not that he "didn't want to know". That's a minor, but I think noteworthy distinction? Or did I remember it wrong?

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 3

I must have missed something, because everyone is acting like the reveal that Officer Acker was involved was--a reveal. He had the mask on at the end of last episode when Monroe brought out the sandwich--he was always obviously involved. And it was in the previously on section too. The CHARACTERS didn't know he was involved until they found the photo, but the AUDIENCE did the whole time, right?

• Love 5

I thought that was sort of the point, that as a group with such a long and "illustrious" history and rites handed down through the ages, they have rubber half-masks and high school graduation- level "robes" with ...economical material for the symbols sew on the fronts. Probably by hand. Because they're that pure, dammit!!

But the masks were actually creepy and then the decor and robes actually detracted from the scariness to me. It would have made more sense for them to have just worn dark robes, like Druids style, but the designers were so dedicated to making the kkk/nazi hybrid that they made them look kind of ridiculous.

That's a minor quibble I fess but I found the masks So creepy that I wanted the rest to match.

• Love 2

I thought this was a pretty good one but the outfit of the nazi/klan lazy hybrid group? So cheap looking.

So cheap I could even hear the hollow rubbery sound their masks made whenever they donned or doffed them.

Even though Juliette's not my favorite character, I was more interested in her going Hexenbiest story than I was in the Weisenrein have captured Monroe story.  Don't get me wrong, I adore Monroe and want him to be okay, and I suppose it's good that they are addressing that there are evil, violent people like this in real life, but it's so violent and serious.  I prefer my Grimm to give me the truly far out stuff like Nick's girlfriend turning into a screeching creature or the happy stuff like Monroe serving as comic relief or turning into a Blutbad to help Nick take down a bad guy.  I didn't want to see poor Monroe chained up and beaten up in that nasty place.  :(

So glad Wu is finally in the know.  I thought the show handled it well, now that they finally got around to it.

IMO they sent Theresa away just a little too soon.  She could have been a big help tonight.  And I miss her just a tad!

But the masks were actually creepy and then the decor and robes actually detracted from the scariness to me. It would have made more sense for them to have just worn dark robes, like Druids style, but the designers were so dedicated to making the kkk/nazi hybrid that they made them look kind of ridiculous.

That's a minor quibble I fess but I found the masks So creepy that I wanted the rest to match.

Can't say hate group without  KKK/Nazi references. But, yeah, the masks were creepy and they do kind of make sense, within the Wesen world of why they would wear them and I do agree that the KKK/Nazi references were a bit over the top; plus they do take away from the fact that this is a Wesen hate group but who knows, we already know that Hitler was a Wesen (wasn't he a Jackal or something?), through Nick's old movies, so maybe this group is actually some kind of neo-Nazis group ?

As with Wu, it's a good thing that he knows but I can't but help feel that this is going to somehow backfire on them. We already know that Wu was upset that they let him thought he was crazy (and also allowing him to go to an insane asylum), so I do wonder if he is still harboring resentment for them?

Edited by TVSpectator

I'm actually glad that Juliette hasn't said anything yet because this really isn't the time. I may have been reading too much into it, but I got the impression when Nick told her he was sending Rosalee over that the thought crossed her mind that this would give her a chance to talk to Rosalee about what was going on, but then that thought immediately vanished the moment Rosalee showed up and buried her face in Juliette's shoulder and cried. At that point, the right choice was to focus on what was going on with Rosalee and not make this about Juliette. I'm sure Juliette wants to talk to Rosalee about it, maybe even before she talks to Nick, so she'll at least have some info and possible answers when she has that conversation, but she wouldn't want to put that burden on Rosalee right now when Rosalee has more than she can deal with. It's also right for her not to bring it up to Nick right now when Nick needs to be focusing all his effort on finding and saving Monroe.

So while I'm not a fan of the "I'll just keep this terrible thing to myself until it bites me in the ass" trope, I'm also not a huge fan of the "it's all about MEEEEEE" trope, so I agree with Juliette keeping quiet for now.

• Love 11