Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: The Archer Sanction

radishcake
  • Start Topic

Seriously, who didn't see Beard Guy as the assassin the moment he opened the door in the beginning?

Malory finally got back at Archer with the phony voicemail. That was glorious. Speaking of phones, I loved the "Teutonic Butts" ringtone.

"Who am I, Charles Fredrick Andrus?!" The show continues to pull out the great obscure references. Also: Why Archer confused Ireland as an axis power with Romania.

We only saw so little of Cheryl's bday party, but man was it great. I'd like to know the explanation behind the trash monster from Star Wars being in the hot tub, but I'd chalk that up to "Classic Krieger."

So we got more insight to Archer's bucket list, like "bang Joe Frazier."

Next Week: Poovey Farms! And Barry!

• Love 2

As someone of Irish descent, I find Archer's associating my ancestral people with the Axis Powers pretty fucking offensive.  (No doubt, he associates Ireland with the Axis because of things his mother told him.)  In fact, he was overtly irritating this episode.

Loved the supporting cast and their escapades in Mallory's apartment. 

Leave it to Archer to spoof an old and not exactly well-known Clint Eastwood movie.

Good episode.  I've been enjoying this season a lot more than Archer Vice.  Being back in the spy game has definitely benefitted the show and the team.  The animation on the snow landscapes was REALLY impressive.

Edited by benteen

Anybody else tired of Archer going into missions . .  .not even half-cocked. Quarter-cocked? I know, that's the bulk of his character, that he's so gifted to overcome anything . . . but it gets old. Or maybe it's because I'm not a drinker and therefore can't marvel over the magic of a "Peppermint Patty." Good episode, but I think that I'd want Archer to get punched in the balls more often.

"Teutonic Butts" . . . way to keep the joke going.

Next week looks promising . . . Barry's insanity is always welcome on this show. And you gotta wonder what he was doing during "Archer Vice."

ETA: Malory having the voice mail gag . . . that was also funny.

Yeah, I knew Crash was going to be the assassin, instead of one of the other three.  Still fun, but, wow, Archer couldn't have failed harder if he tried.  Not only did he do his usual "skim the dossier" method and forget to bring it, the one hint he does remember ends up being false because he thought Ireland was part of the Axis of Evil.  And, he did causes an avalanche to crash on them.  He is totally lucky Lana didn't kick him in the crotch or something.

Everyone else trying to find Malory was hilarious; I just wish we got more of Cheryl's actual birthday party.  I suspect there ain't no party like a Cheryl Party!

Malory pulling the phony voice-mail on Archer was the best.

I spent the whole episode knowing that Crash would be the Target, but I actually thought there would be a big reveal that he's of Romanian Descent.

Are Malory and Ron still married? I love Ron and since it sounds like the open marriage is over I thought they'd worked it out. But he wasn't at the hotel...

Oh...and does anyone have a clue what Pam said with her mouth full?

Edited by PinkRibbons

I was confused by the conclusion that Beard Guy was dead because of the Avalanche all 3 of them survived with very little damage...

I'm hoping Beard Guy comes back to haunt them like Conway Stern and Bionic Barry.

Anybody else tired of Archer going into missions . .  .not even half-cocked. Quarter-cocked? I know, that's the bulk of his character, that he's so gifted to overcome anything . . . but it gets old. Or maybe it's because I'm not a drinker and therefore can't marvel over the magic of a "Peppermint Patty." Good episode, but I think that I'd want Archer to get punched in the balls more often.

Oh, good!  I'm not the only one getting fucking annoyed by Archer's bro antics.

Did anyone else think Ray was going to get paralyzed again after the avalanche?

Crash; Get down!

Archer: Your not my supervisor!

Best birthday ever!

Of course Crash was the assassin he was the only one who could be. Still it was fun to watch anyway. Lana and Ray drool and Archer jealous. Fun times.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Leave it to Archer to spoof an old and not exactly well-known Clint Eastwood movie.

I guess he was in a lot of movies, and I guess I'm old -- I thought it was reasonably well known, at least in the genre. Movie spoiler:

And Archer essentially proposes the same solution that's a shocking twist in the movie -- the solution is just kill the whole climbing party.

I spent the whole episode knowing that Crash would be the Target, but I actually thought there would be a big reveal that he's of Romanian Descent.

My money was on Finland, the most morally ambiguous axis member. 

I was confused by the conclusion that Beard Guy was dead because of the Avalanche all 3 of them survived with very little damage...

I'm hoping Beard Guy comes back to haunt them like Conway Stern and Bionic Barry.

I like Lana as the conscientious team member who just reaches the point where she has no more energy to care, and goes along with declaring victory and moving on. That's the outcome of a lot of projects in much more mundane workplaces.

And yes, Crash (Beard Guy) will be back. We'll see what damage the avalanche did then.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

Is anyone else going to try to make that drink archer made up for the show? Anyone render what in its again?

All I remember is that it's called a "Peppermint Paddy" and I can only remember that Crème de menthe is in it with hot-cocoa and a bunch of other booze. 

As someone of Irish descent, I find Archer's associating my ancestral people with the Axis Powers pretty fucking offensive.  (No doubt, he associates Ireland with the Axis because of things his mother told him.)  In fact, he was overtly irritating this episode.

I am not sure if that would be his mother's fault. Archer already has some stupid ideas, so I won't be surprised that he actually thought that Ireland was part of the Axis or that  he thought he was supposed to kill a Japanese, or Italian, or German, person (and how hilariously, was it that there were all three ethnic groups there and that they turn out to be  undercover police agents). My personal guess is that Archer doesn't believe that Ireland was an Axis Power, but he actually thought that the person they were supposed to kill was from an actual axis power. 

Also, he was from Canada and he is actually Scot-Irish.

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

Not the best episode, but still funny.

Personally, I love Archer's antics and feel that they make the whole show. He's a dolt, and unapologetic about it, and he's hilarious. I liked that he flies by the seat of his pants and still manages to come out on top. Because if he actually paid attention and followed procedures to the best of his ability, the show would be boring. He'd be able to pull off any mission without breaking a sweat. It's long been established that he can half-arse everything and come out on top, so it seems completely in his nature that that's exactly what he would do.

Love the running joke of Archer's tinnitus and the ear-popping noise he makes. His goldfish bowl cocktail was great. Mallory pulling the voicemail prank was great too, as was Archer's indignant response to it. And Archer being jealous of Crash was amusing too. He's such a huge baby. And I do like it when he drops unexpected knowledge in great detail. It gives the character more layers, that he actually is a very bright guy, just with bags and bags of issues.

"Ray, if I ever have sex with a man, it'll be a man who remembers the gum! And, not that it matters, also black." *snuggles happily into Ray's shoulder*

Judy Greer captures the insane, manic energy of Cheryl so well. "Breaking into Ms Archer's apartment to hopefully find a crying baby clinging to her dead and shrivelled body is the best birthday present I've ever gotten."

I'm glad Ray didn't get paralysed, yet again, because I like him a lot out on missions with the others. Much better than when they had Cyril on missions.

• Love 4

The Peppermint Paddy:

Hot Cocoa

Dark Creme de Cacao

Hint of Creme de Menthe

Peppermint Schnapps

And if you don't try it, that is your major loss.

So, now I am going to have to find me those ingredients  and make me some Peppermint Paddy. 

Edit: my birthday is coming up and I am now wondering if I can go ahead and try out this drink.

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

I too got the Eiger Sanction parody right away. But then again, I used to be a big fan of Eastwood movies.

I would actually like to see them let Lana move on and actually get a relationship, and not the humiliating, demoralizing abomination that was her "relationship" with Cyril. I hate that she is there to be Archer's fall-back girl. I mean, I think her relationship with Archer at this pint is essentially, Archer needs a fall-back girl and the thought of Lana with anyone else kills him. I don't think he actually wants to be with her, as judged by his marriage to Russian, big tit, spy who becomes a cyborg and hooks up with Barry. As for Lana, I feel like her motivation for the Archer connection is just as questionable. I think she is looking for closure as a lot of people do and even though she knows it on some level, she hasn't fully accepted that she will never get satisfaction with regards to her time spent with this guy; so she can't truly move on. Now that she has AJ, I hope she can let him go and find some happiness for her and the baby.

As an aside, Mallory really seems to be taking to the role of grandmother. However, as I noted previously, since there is always some angle for everything Mallory does, I won't be surprised when it is revealed that there is more to it than just grandmotherly love.

I would actually like to see them let Lana move on and actually get a relationship, and not the humiliating, demoralizing abomination that was her "relationship" with Cyril. I hate that she is there to be Archer's fall-back girl. I mean, I think her relationship with Archer at this pint is essentially, Archer needs a fall-back girl and the thought of Lana with anyone else kills him. I don't think he actually wants to be with her, as judged by his marriage to Russian, big tit, spy who becomes a cyborg and hooks up with Barry. As for Lana, I feel like her motivation for the Archer connection is just as questionable. I think she is looking for closure as a lot of people do and even though she knows it on some level, she hasn't fully accepted that she will never get satisfaction with regards to her time spent with this guy; so she can't truly move on. Now that she has AJ, I hope she can let him go and find some happiness for her and the baby.

I wish they'd clarify their relationship, and actually pay a little bit of attention to it. Because, while it would be easy to say Lana should move on and Archer is just using her as an emotional crutch, they've had him admit to loving her, in moments of real crisis. So is that real or just him getting melodramatic? I tend to think he does love her, but is so emotionally messed up that he can't admit it or try for a real relationship. All the women he's been with, and Lana is the one who he still goes back to, who he has injokes with and gets jealous over, the one he rushes to save and will go to great lengths for to plan a baby shower. I think he absolutely wants to be with her, but just won't admit it because emotional vulnerability is something he really isn't good at.

The way Lana asked if Archer's feelings would be "super hurt" if she banged Crash, it seemed more like she was asking for a 'freebie', rather than telling her ex-boyfriend-who-is-also-her-baby-daddy that she fancies another guy (and she never had a problem with dating/screwing guys before, regardless of Archer's feelings). So are they together or not? Maybe that's something that will be asked and answered this season.

But from what I can tell, all the relationships on this show are some level of humiliating and demoralising.

• Love 3

As someone of Irish descent, I find Archer's associating my ancestral people with the Axis Powers pretty fucking offensive.  (No doubt, he associates Ireland with the Axis because of things his mother told him.)  In fact, he was overtly irritating this episode.

Loved the supporting cast and their escapades in Mallory's apartment. 

As someone of Irish descent as well I found you being offended pretty offensive. The show has made plenty of those jokes aim at other countries and characters but the moment they target you it's a different story.

• Love 3

The way Lana asked if Archer's feelings would be "super hurt" if she banged Crash, it seemed more like she was asking for a 'freebie', rather than telling her ex-boyfriend-who-is-also-her-baby-daddy that she fancies another guy (and she never had a problem with dating/screwing guys before, regardless of Archer's feelings). So are they together or not? Maybe that's something that will be asked and answered this season.

But from what I can tell, all the relationships on this show are some level of humiliating and demoralising.

They are not demoralizing they are incestous. Everyone has slept with just about everyone else at this point. When Lana asked if Archer would be super hurt if she banged Crash it was because he was acting all manly jealous and had very little to do with residual feelings. You don't have sex with a friends enemy....without permission anyway.b and I doubt the show will clarify the relationship anytime soon. Bit is much more entertaining to have it up in the air and uncertain for the time being. Edited by Chaos Theory

As someone of Irish descent, I find Archer's associating my ancestral people with the Axis Powers pretty fucking offensive. (No doubt, he associates Ireland with the Axis because of things his mother told him.).

I was reading a book recently that mentioned a number of Irish who voluntarily joined the Germans in wwi (roger casement among others I believe), so I thought he might be thinking of that. But the Romanian explanation was fun too.

I liked this episode and I am interested in Mallory's interest in her granddaughter. We haven't seen wood house in a while though, have we?

I've always thought Archer would be with Lana if he were healthy emotionally. I think she likes him too and can't seem to pull away. But their relationship is a total mess.

Edited by Shanna

I was reading a book recently that mentioned a number of Irish who voluntarily joined the Germans in wwi (roger casement among others I believe), so I thought he might be thinking of that. But the Romanian explanation was fun too.

Not surprising, since Ireland was still a British colony at that point.

One of the reasons the US stayed out of WWI as long as it did was the three big blocks of ethnic American voters who were kind of rooting against the Entente (though no group is ever monolithic, I hasten to add): The German-Americans, the Russian Jews, who hated the Czar, and the Irish. 

That's one reason Wilson was so insistent that once the US entered it was a war about Freedom™, and not just the US taking the side of one group of colonial powers against that other group of colonial powers.

In WWII, independent Ireland was neutral, having neither the resources nor the inclination to get involved.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

William Joyce, known as Lord Haw-Haw, was an American born Irishman who became infamous in the Second World War for his propaganda broadcasts on behalf of Nazi Germany.

Funnily enough, he was actually a Unionist, not a Republican, so his reasons for going over to the Germans were not due to his Irish politics. He was a member of Oswald Mosley's British Union of Fascists. So while Ireland was under the control of the British in the First World War, and neutral in the Second, there were famous examples of Irish citizens who sided with the Central and Axis Powers.

Knowing how smart the writers of this show are, I'm sure that they were aware of such cases when deciding to have Archer make the Ireland/Romania mistake. There were few countries in Europe that remained neutral and unscathed by the Second World War. Switzerland the forever neutral, Fascist Spain who certainly sympathised with the Axis powers, Portugal who did send soldiers to fight for Britain but never officially got involved, Sweden who seemed to play both sides and Ireland.

Ireland maintained their neutrality more solidly than most of the other countries, but de Valera blotted their copy book by signing a book of condolence for Hitler.

• Love 1

I read the book before I found out about the movie.

This show is constantly challenging my knowledge of old treaties and I'm losing.

• Love 2

This episode was really fun. Archer snuggling up on Ray made me laugh a lot. 

This show is constantly challenging my knowledge of old treaties and I'm losing.

I love the random facts about history and stuff like that that Archer knows. Considering that Mallory probably sent Archer to the best far away fancy school that money could buy it would make sense that he at least picked up some random stuff like that.

• Love 1

Isn't Woodhouse a WWI vet?

Yeah, I think he is. 

Weren't they flying biplanes? And he is only 120 if it is 2014 in Archer world.

Well, one thing is sure in the Archer Verse, is that you can live a very long time and Woodhouse is ancient.