Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers With Speculation

SueB
Message added by ohjoy

Please keep your speculation and comments on the end of Supernatural in the Supernatural Ending topic. Use this topic here or the Bitter Speculation topic for discussion of the upcoming season only. As always, keep Bitch vs. Jerk discussion in its own topic.

Thank you.

• Start Topic

I don't think it's Dean from the alternate reality:  According to JA, the character he plays is someone we haven't seen in a long time.  When have we ever seen AW!Dean?  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

I really want another character this time, one who is not any version of Dean, not from an AU world and nothing. And I want freaking powers on display this time. 

I'm dying to see Jensen play a character with the kind of powers that Cain had or like Matt Cohen's Michael had-especially Cohen's because they cheated us out of the ones that Cain had. I might even like Cohen's better because we actually got to see them fully.

• Love 1

Episode synopsis for episode 19 is out

ANGELS, WITCHES AND REAPERS, OH MY – Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) must stop Rowena (guest star Ruth Connell), who is on a deadly mission. Meanwhile, Castiel (Misha Collins) looks to heaven to recruit angels for an impending invasion but is shocked by not only what he finds, but who. Nina Lopez-Corrado directed the episode written by Steve Yockey (#1319). Original airdate 4/19/2018.

18 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Is this gonna be Yockey`s final episode if he is leaving the show after this Season? I think so. Too bad. Hope it`s a good one. 

According to Jessica’s spoiler sheet it is. 

Episode 20 is Glynn’s

Episode 21 is Beren’s

Episode 22 is BuckLemmings 

Episode 23 is Dabbs. 

On an unrelated note while looking up those writers I found the following re the regulars appearances up to episode 22.

Misha  - 14* (12 eps speaking) (1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22)

Alex - 9. (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 14, 18, 20, 21, 22)

Mark - 8. (1, 2, 7, 12, 13, 18, 21, 22)

Interestingly if one counts the non speaking appearances as proper appearances this season will either tie season 5 for the most Cas appearances or possibly beat it by 1 if he appears in episode 23. However, if like me you dont count a corpse as a proper appearance (episode one) or opening his eyes for all of two seconds (episode 3) then he’ll either narrowly beat last seasons episode count or go back up to the usual 13 of seasons 10 and 11. 

I also found it interesting neither Mark P or Alex will get anywhere near the 12 Mark S used to get. I’m assuming that’s due to budgetary limitations as a result of having three regulars instead of 2. 

Edited by Wayward Son
On 3/30/2018 at 11:07 AM, Aeryn13 said:

I hope that`s not the case, I want another character, preferably a supernatural one. Being coy about contact lenses was IMO a little callback to demon!Dean but even then, most angels and demons wear human visages most of the time. Even AU!Michael doesn`t sport the glowing blue eyes of angelyore.

Furthermore if there were an AU!Dean, then that means Castiel really was only talking to Sam when he said "this is a world you didn`t save". Because Sam not being born obviously makes all the difference whereas Dean? Eh, who cares. Gives me hate-backs to 5.22.    

At this point our universe Michael is a good bet. Otherwise I`m blanking on "character we haven`t seen for many years". Sure, Azazel but he can`t compete powerwise with the likes of AU!Michael or Lucifer or Jack. Jensen said Dean is "stepping up" in a big way, meaning he feels the need to do this as a way to help in the fight.  

It is Dean! Michael.  They have been sowing seeds for this for 2 years and dropping anvils all season.

1 minute ago, Castiels Cat said:

It is Dean! Michael.  They have been sowing seeds for this for 2 years and dropping anvils all season.

What’s your prediction about Cas’ role for the remainder of the season? 

On 3/30/2018 at 2:39 PM, Aeryn13 said:

Granted, if he was already a vessel for some other being, it would be a different character but honestly I wanna see the process how we get there. I want to see the context, why and how Dean makes the decision to step up in whatever form that is, the transformation and the final result. And I`d like to see all that in real time, not flashbacks or anything.

The show`s writers probably think Michael would still be a big surprise and therefore be a "twist". And they might be right for casual viewers. The online fandom obviously not so much. As soon as Jensen gave that spoiler, nearly everyone went to "it`s Michael, isn`t it". And the accompanying little tidbits all fit as well. 

But I think that is the main reason for why people think right now that it`s not gonna be Michael, because it would be too obvious. If it were a Joss Whedon show or a J.Michael Straczynski show, okay, yes, I would think that, too. But for SPN, I believe they think a lot of things are surprising that have been called as obvious by online fandom. The only show I know of (which admitted doing it) that really ever changed a big plot twist in a Season Finale because the entire fandom predicted it like 15 episodes out is Vampire Diaries. 

Now I`m still dubious how it`s gonna be handled but my best guess at the moment would be Michael of our world. 

They assume people will not suspect it because they have had one unreliable narrator drop a few hints that his Looney toons, and another unreliable narrator say he wouldn't be good in a fight or whatever Chucks excuse was.

In the meantime... lalala... They have introduced his weapon, prepped his vessel, put his opponent back onto the board, introduced his AU version as another world ending nemesis, given his vessel a reason to say yes and make a deal and given the one witch who can open the cage the read In to do so.

So the spring is fully loaded on this one.  And it would have been a huge surprise if Jensen had kept quiet.  Whenever the show would introduce a hint I would squack Dean! Michael and get patted on the head because no one believed it. 

BUT Our Michael is crazy. Yes... have you seen My Bloidy Valentine.  This is going to be fun.

But season 5/10  This is not season 5/10.  

Kind of astonished it is suddenly too obvious.

Jensen planned on playing him. Jensen worked with Matt Cohen to make sure his performance would be on point.  It was a huge disappointment to him and to fans at the time that this did not happen.   And now they have created a storyline that make it work far better than season 5.  (Dean would never really say yes if it meant killing Sam, hurting people, not having any control).

This is my other prediction. Letch is not Letch.  He is not acting like Letch. He is no longer a psycho torture loving killer.  My heart wants him to be Crowley.I do tbink it is weird how he is hanging around the Winchesters all palsy.  This is a guy that happily graduated from killsy witchery incorporated.

Edited by Castiels Cat
6 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

This is my other prediction. Letch is not Letch.  He is not acting like Letch. He is no longer a psycho torture loving killer.  My heart wants him to be Crowley.I do tbinknit is weird how he is hanging around the Winchesters all palsy.  This is a guy that happily graduated from killsy witchery incorporated.

If Ketch is Crowley, I will actually tweet incessantly at Dabb that he really fucked up. That would be so disrespectful to Mark Sheppard. I hope you are totally wrong.

• Love 5

I think Ketch is Ketch.  I asked David at SeaCon if he thinks Ketch is going through the same journey we saw Mick going through, from seeing black and white to shades of Grey.  He said yes.  That getting killed caused him to lose some of the superior attitude and that it was humbling. 

I told him at autos that I really liked the interaction between him and Dean in The Raid and he told me I'll probably like the episode he filmed with Jensen and that we'll see more of Ketch's journey.

So I think its more about David playing him a bit differently then him being a different person.

For someone that only played his character for a short time, David has pretty good insight on Ketch.  It's interesting listening to his thought process.  Plus, David is as nice in real life as he is on twitter.

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

If Ketch is Crowley, I will actually tweet incessantly at Dabb that he really fucked up. That would be so disrespectful to Mark Sheppard. I hope you are totally wrong.

Agreed! 

While it technically works within the rules of the show it would be an awful decision! Mark S is Crowley just as Misha is Cas. 

• Love 3

Episode 21 is Beren’s

Episode 22 is BuckLemmings 

Episode 23 is Dabbs. 

Yikes. To me that`s like the trifecta of evil writing. 

Jensen planned on playing him. Jensen worked with Matt Cohen to make sure his performance would be on point.  It was a huge disappointment to him and to fans at the time that this did not happen.   And now they have created a storyline that make it work far better than season 5.  

I disagree with that. I think the real time to do it would have been in Season 5. Everything was set up so much better for it then. Obviously, I`ll take it now as I take any scraps but it will never really be that time to shine again. Until maybe, possibly the Series Finale.  

In the meantime... lalala... They have introduced his weapon, prepped his vessel, put his opponent back onto the board, introduced his AU version as another world ending nemesis, given his vessel a reason to say yes and make a deal and given the one witch who can open the cage the read In to do so.

I still very much hope that reason is not ice-bitch Mary. That would be such a disappointing backstory for me. It should be for world-saving purposes. Otherwise, it`s really not heroism, it`s selfish stupidity.   

Yes, considering how it all went down, it would be disgusting to bring the character back with a different actor.  

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

I disagree with that. I think the real time to do it would have been in Season 5. Everything was set up so much better for it then. Obviously, I`ll take it now as I take any scraps but it will never really be that time to shine again. Until maybe, possibly the Series Finale.  

I agree.  I don't think the writers planned anything.  Nothing about his season comes across as a coherent plot line.  Everything feels thrown together. 

This new character seems to be extra incentive due to it being a contract season. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ILoveReading said:

I agree.  I don't think the writers planned anything.  Nothing about his season comes across as a coherent plot line.  Everything feels thrown together. 

This new character seems to be extra incentive due to it being a contract season. 

If that is true, I hope he reeeeeeally didn't want to re-up. (Just so that they pitched him a bitchin' storyline.)

• Love 3

Apparently there was a 13x22 scene between Dean and Cas, which was made private. They put up curtains and other things to block Misha and Ackles from sight. 

Could this be the moment Dean says yes to Michael (or whoever it is)? 

7 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

I think every season is contract season now? 

I think J2 were initially contracted for 6 seasons (6 seasons seems to be the norm for any show. Of course many don’t make it that far) 

Renewed for season 7 

Renewed for 8-10 in one go* 

Have been renewing on an annual basis ever since.

* I’m not entirely sure if they bulked Renewed for seasons 8-10. They may have just renegotiated their contracts annually since season 7.

4 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

I think J2 were initially contracted for 6 seasons (6 seasons seems to be the norm for any show. Of course many don’t make it that far) 

Renewed for season 7 

* I’m not entirely sure if they bulked Renewed for seasons 8-10. They may have just renegotiated their contracts annually since season 7.

What I've gleaned from J2's comments at cons they 1 through 6 or 7. 7 may have been one year I don't know. Then 8 through 10, 11 through 12, and 13 through 14 should there be a 14. Jared said at Nerd HQ in July 2015 he hadn't signed his contract yet, which was between 10 and 11. It's possible they have to sign a yearly deal but I think it's done in 2 year commitment periods after s10.

4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

What I've gleaned from J2's comments at cons they 1 through 6 or 7. 7 may have been one year I don't know. Then 8 through 10, 11 through 12, and 13 through 14 should there be a 14. Jared said at Nerd HQ in July 2015 he hadn't signed his contract yet, which was between 10 and 11. It's possible they have to sign a yearly deal but I think it's done in 2 year commitment periods after s1

I remember there being an article two years ago (at the start of s12) that Jared and Jensen had signed two year contracts.  So this should be a contract year.

I read that Dabb was working on something for s14, so if it is a contract year, I hope Jensen gets it in writing that this new character is supposed to last a certain number of episodes so they can't drop it again for a quirky episode. 

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Renewed for season 7 

As I recall

• They were contracted for 1-6
  • Signed for 7-8 at the start of S6. (I can't find a link, but I remember Demian was still recapping the show at TWoP and he was snarking that, at that rate, Jared and Jensen are going to be fighting monsters on the CW well into their 60s)
  • After Carver came on board in S8 and said he had a 3-year plan (which got stretched to four) they signed for S9-10 to make sure they would see the story through to the end as long as the CW renewed it: http://screencrush.com/supernatural-season-10-cast/

Since then we haven't really heard about their contracts. I have no idea if they have still been doing two-year deals or one-year at this point. Usually we'd hear because someone would ask at a con, but that hasn't happened, as far as, I know since the announcement came out for S9-S10. My feeling is they've been doing one-year deals, though. I also suspect they already signed contracts for S14 and it was probably done back in January.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

Since then we haven't really heard about their contracts. I have no idea if they have still been doing two-year deals or one-year at this point. Usually we'd hear because someone would ask at a con, but that hasn't happened, as far as, I know since the announcement came out for S9-S10. My feeling is they've been doing one-year deals, though. I also suspect they already signed contracts for S14 and it was probably done back in January.

There was an article in one of the industry mags that they had already signed for 14 when they signed for 13. Like I mentioned above, Jared said in July 2015 at Nerd HQ he hadn't signed his contract yet. That tells me that 11 was a contract year as was 13. I think between 14 and 15 would be a contract year

1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

There was an article in one of the industry mags that they had already signed for 14 when they signed for 13. Like I mentioned above, Jared said in July 2015 at Nerd HQ he hadn't signed his contract yet. That tells me that 11 was a contract year as was 13. I think between 14 and 15 would be a contract year

As the link I provided shows, they signed for S9 and S10 at the start of S8. Just like they signed for S7-S8 at the start of S6. So, yes, S11 is a contract season, but they would've negotiated that contract while they were shooting S10 and we don't know that it was a two-year contract or just for one-year. It could be, as @Wayward Son said, that every year is a contract year at this point.

However, I heard some scuttlebutt that they were still doing contract negotiations around Christmastime this year for S14. It was unofficial so I have no idea if it is true or not, but it's what leads me to believe they have been signing one-year contracts and were not yet under contract for S14. But since they're now talking about S14 not being their last, it seems apparent they have signed for S14 at this point and maybe a S15? I don't know. 

8 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

So, yes, S11 is a contract season, but they would've negotiated that contract while they were shooting S10 and we don't know that it was a two-year contract or just for one-year.

I don't understand. Are you concurring with me that 11 was the contract season or disputing it?

It seems to me the negotiations would have taken place after s10 or at the end of s10 if he hadn't signed as of July 2015.  I'm not picking at you, I just can't decide if you're concurring, disputing, or just offering additional information whilst agreeing. 

I mean I'm not in the industry but would the negotiations really take place during the season? I don't know how that works. 

3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I don't understand. Are you concurring with me that 11 was the contract season or disputing it?

It seems to me the negotiations would have taken place after s10 or at the end of s10 if he hadn't signed as of July 2015.  I'm not picking at you, I just can't decide if you're concurring, disputing, or just offering additional information whilst agreeing. 

I mean I'm not in the industry but would the negotiations really take place during the season? I don't know how that works. 

I think @DittyDotDot was adding to what you were saying. They’ll usually negotiate a new contract during the final season of the current contract. For instance Jared and Ackles relatively recently stated* at cons they hadn’t finished negotiations for season 14 yet. 

* I can’t remember exactly when this happened, but I believe they said it at a con sometime in February.

21 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

. For instance Jared and Ackles relatively recently stated* at cons they hadn’t finished negotiations for season 14 yet. 

I've seen all the recent con videos and don't remember them discussing the negotiations. Jared was mentioning to the fans about pushing TPTB for a s14. Do you remember which con it was? I am looking for the article that mentioned them already having signed for 14 when they signed for 13.

Thinking more, I do wonder if they can actually influence the SL during negotiations. That seems unusual to me and would give them more control over the show than the showrunner who is the head writer.

(edited)
45 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Basically I was saying that S11 would've been a new contract for them, but they would've negotiated that contract while they were filming S10, just as they negotiated their S9-S10 contract while they were filming S8 and they negotiated their S7-S8 contracts while they were filming S6.

Based on the history of announcements, it seems contract negotiations for Jared and Jensen have been done long in advance so the network and studio can make their decisions on renewals and such. My understanding is this isn't the case for the recurring or regular actors like Misha though. They do their contract negotiations in April or May for the following season. So, Misha should soon be negotiating for S14, but Jared and Jensen's contracts would've already been signed and sealed by that time.

So, when Jared said he hadn't signed his contract yet, he would've been talking about the contract for the next season, not the one he was filming at the time. For one, I highly doubt he could be filming a season he didn't already have a contract in place for, but also, the CW would've had their contracts in place before they renewed the season since the show lives or dies with Jared and Jensen. 

This year seems to be a little different--and probably what's holding up the renewal announcement for a S14--in that it appears Jared and Jensen did not sign on as early in the season as they have before. It seems like they have now, though, since they're suddenly talking about S14 like it's a go.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Jared was mentioning to the fans about pushing TPTB for a s14.

My opinion is pretty much what @DittyDotDot says above. 

I think the Jared remark you’re referring to is what I meant. I took that to mean something is holding up negotiations (maybe J2 want shorter seasons, maybe they want even more time off and the WB is reluctant since they get 4/8 days off as it is, maybe one or both of them were negotiating for better storyline) and they were encouraging fans to remind the network how much they want the show Renewed to strengthen their position at the negotiating table. 

9 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

My understanding is this isn't the case for the recurring or regular actors like Misha though. They do their contract negotiations in April or May for the following season. So, Misha should soon be negotiating for S14.

That sounds horrible. I now have bad visions of Misha or the WB opting not to renew his contract sometime and he doesn’t get a proper closing storyline just a “oh Cas decided to go back to heaven full time” mention. Since they’d be finished filming the current season by that point :s

Edited by Wayward Son
1 minute ago, Wayward Son said:

referring to is what I meant. I took that to mean something is holding up negotiations (maybe J2 want shorter seasons, maybe they want even more time off and the WB is reluctant since they get 4/8 days off as it is, maybe one or both of them were negotiating for better storyline) and they were encouraging fans to remind the network how much they want the show Renewed to strengthen their position at the negotiating table. 

I see. Thanks.

I disagree that he's using fans to renegotiate his contract which it sounds like you're saying to me.

I still don't think they can dictate SL via contract.

I think they can dictate nudity or lack there of but I didn't think they can say, write this SL for X character or I'm out. I just don't see Jensen doing that.

1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

I disagree that he's using fans to renegotiate his contract which it sounds like you're saying to me.

Yeah, I don't think they were using the fans to give them a better position at the bargaining table, but were feeling out the fans to see if they even wanted another season, more than anything.

I certainly hope that storylines can't be dictated through their contracts, but I wonder if they were pushing for a definite end point? The way they talked about how they sat down and discussed how they'd like the show to end, made me wonder. 

6 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I see. Thanks.

I think they can dictate nudity or lack there of but I didn't think they can say, write this SL for X character or I'm out. I just don't see Jensen doing that.

I don’t think they can necessarily dictate the specifics e.g “I want Dean!Michael and I want it to last for exactly ten episodes and Dean must display abilities x, y and Z” . However, the show lives or dies with J2, and I do think they’re in the position to make more generic demands such as “I want an action/supernatural based storyline for Dean and it needs to last at least half a season” 

3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I don't know if they can dictate it, but that doesn't stop a smart negotiator from knowing what their 'star' wants and offering it up out of hand to sweeten the pot. I think at this point both Js are kind of rare birds in the business in that they are somewhat in the driver's seat when it comes to continuing SPN (as we know it anyway). I DO NOT mean that in any kind of diva-ish way for either of them, it's just the way it is now. So yeah, if a good storyline for Dean, or more time off (for either of them), or the boys finally finding a hunt in Hawaii is offered up as an incentive, that's just good business.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Wayward Son said:

want an action/supernatural based storyline for Dean and it needs to last at least half a season

I still don't see how any actor can demand that either. That would impact the season arc that a writer showrunner already has in mind. And I really don't think Jense would do that. he worked with Michael Weatherly on Dark Angel who demanded that he had more lines than Alec played by Jensen and Jensen has remarked that ws not a good set experience. I can't fathom him or Jared having that kind of creative control. I mean to an extent they can change lines but they don't dictate storyline.

2 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I don’t think they can necessarily dictate the specifics e.g “I want Dean!Michael and I want it to last for exactly ten episodes and Dean must display abilities x, y and Z” . However, the show lives or dies with J2, and I do think they’re in the position to make more generic demands such as “I want an action/supernatural based storyline for Dean and it needs to last at least half a season” 

4 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

So yeah, if a good storyline for Dean, or more time off (for either of them), or the boys finally finding a hunt in Hawaii is offered up as an incentive, that's just good business.

A hunt in Hawaii I can see. But dictating a full story arc that would be surprising to me.

10 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

A hunt in Hawaii I can see. But dictating a full story arc that would be surprising to me.

What I was saying is maybe it wasn't a demand, but an offer. I know that's giving Dabb/Singer too much credit when it comes to Dean/Jensen, but I don't know who the actual negotiator for Team CW is. The truncated Purgatory and Demon!Dean storylines are really the only thing I've heard Jensen be vocal about when it comes to disappointment with the show. If *I*, as a fan, know this, surely they do - and it would only be smart to use that in negotiation.

22 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

What I was saying is maybe it wasn't a demand, but an offer. I know that's giving Dabb/Singer too much credit when it comes to Dean/Jensen, but I don't know who the actual negotiator for Team CW is. The truncated Purgatory and Demon!Dean storylines are really the only thing I've heard Jensen be vocal about when it comes to disappointment with the show. If *I*, as a fan, know this, surely they do - and it would only be smart to use that in negotiation.

I can’t remember the source, but I am fairly certain I’ve read somewhere that they negotiate contracts with the WB rather than the CW. So chances are we’ve never even heard of whoever they negotiate the deals with.

I think at this point both Js are kind of rare birds in the business in that they are somewhat in the driver's seat when it comes to continuing SPN (as we know it anyway). I DO NOT mean that in any kind of diva-ish way for either of them, it's just the way it is now. 

It`s actually not that uncommon and even less influence they would have if they had the producer credits by now. Which they said they didn`t want, likely because they have some kind of power "informally". Mark Harmon did wield a lot more power on NCIS after producer cred than simply "x storyline for my character". Ditto for Kevin Sorbo on Andromeda. Showrunners were made to leave over "creative differences". Comparatively, the Js seem very mild and easy-going in comparism.   

• Love 1
(edited)

It's my understanding that anything can be negotiated into a contract.   I heard rumors about the two main leads of a certain show who didn't get along negotiate that they were only allowed to have  a certain amount of screen time together. 

Jared, allegedly, told someone at ACL that he and Jensen negotiated having ACL weekends off.  (He said/she said source so take with grain of salt)

So its not out of the realm of possibility that stars with a lot of pull can negotiate things like screen time, storylines, episodes, number of lines, hours filming per day, etc.

till don't see how any actor can demand that either. That would impact the season arc that a writer showrunner already has in mind

According to Carver he planned a 6 episode arc for Demon Dean and they threw that away for Fan Fiction.  So if they can drop storylines for one episode then it should work the other way.

I'm not saying Jensen would do this, but since the writers have no clue where they're headed next season if they knew they had to accommodate a contract request a good show runner should be able to adapt.

Edited by ILoveReading
54 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I gotcha. Sorry, I was misunderstanding. 

17 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Jared, allegedly, told someone at ACL that he and Jensen negotiated having ACL weekends off.  (He said/she said source so take with grain of salt)

Yes, I've heard that as well, which isn't the same thing as trying to get a full SL. I think they have influence on some things but story arcs? I'm dubious.

6 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Yes, I've heard that as well, which isn't the same thing as trying to get a full SL. I think they have influence on some things but story arcs? I'm dubious.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I wasn't talking about negotiating a whole story line, more like a number of episodes.  For example, Michael (if that is who Jensen is playing) has to appear in at least 5 episodes.  Not he must do certain things. 

• Love 1

I'd be surprised if either Jared or Jensen negotiated regarding storylines.  I think they've always said they leave that up to the writers.  My guess is they're more interested in negotiating  time off, salary, never having to show any skin, etc.  I'm only semi-joking on that last one.  I swear they have a three-layer clause.

• Love 3

I wouldn't put it past Dabb to want to go with a more ensemble cast and trying to reduce J2s contracts with the excuse of more time off and needing more money diverted from J2 for the additional guest stars. Not saying that's what's happening. Just that I wouldn't put it past Dabb or Singer. I really wouldn't put anything past him.

3 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

I'd be surprised if either Jared or Jensen negotiated regarding storylines.  I think they've always said they leave that up to the writers.  My guess is they're more interested in negotiating  time off, salary, never having to show any skin, etc.  I'm only semi-joking on that last one.  I swear they have a three-layer clause.

Not sure about that, considering Jensen's guilty cheerleader comments at the end of S8. After all, would you want to sign a contract where you weren't really given anything artistically and yet you were so far from your loved ones just to stand there and look angst? I wouldn't blame him for not signing up for another season of that. I mean, they are still actors and, if they are not given any thing with regards to actual plot lines other than prop some one up and drive them places, would you want to sign up for that? 

Granted they used to state they wanted more creatively and now it's a great steady paycheck, no matter what they are given, but sucky stories is supposedly why Mark S bailed. And I don't blame him a bit, even though I really miss his character.

(edited)
21 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

What’s your prediction about Cas’ role for the remainder of the season? 

Hmmmm...  they have never given me what I wanted for Gas honestly.  The writing for him has been all over the place since season 6 ended.  I thought he did deserve a really good arc exploring humanity since he chose to follow Dean over heaven... something along the lines of what they gave Data on TNG which is why I chose my screen name.  Data had Spot his cat as part of that arc.  

Now Crowley had a beautiful arc exploring his growing humanity (and a lousy send-off).

Back to your question. I think that Fetus Jack reprogrammed Cas.  Fetus Jack has yellow power eyes. Cas used to have blue power  eyes. Cas now has yellow power eyes and he is all about Jack.  He cloaks it in a promise to Kelly but something happened when Fetus Jack transferred his mojo into him.  So Cas is Team Jack rather than TFW.  Not an issue now. Possibly an issue in the future if Jack ends up siding with daddy or goes power hungry.

Then there is the Primordial Oily Goo God or POGG.  Close-ups to Cas' face show a sadistic smirk now and again indicative of ...? I suspect POGG may have tampered with the programming too before beaming him back down.  

I think they are setting the board up for Apocalypse 2.0 with Dean!Michael, who may be psycho crazy and a fractured TFW. Initially there will be the wins they want. Mary saved. AU Michael destroyed.  Next season probably the fight against Lucifer.  

If they want to go beyond 14 they can but it could be dark potentially with crazy Dean!Michael, rogue Cas, uber Jack, angst Sam...

I Do Not know.  They disappoint me every season nowadays with the writing for Cas.  

Edited by Castiels Cat
20 minutes ago, Res said:

Not sure about that, considering Jensen's guilty cheerleader comments at the end of S8. After all, would you want to sign a contract where you weren't really given anything artistically and yet you were so far from your loved ones just to stand there and look angst? I wouldn't blame him for not signing up for another season of that. I mean, they are still actors and, if they are not given any thing with regards to actual plot lines other than prop some one up and drive them places, would you want to sign up for that? 

Granted they used to state they wanted more creatively and now it's a great steady paycheck, no matter what they are given, but sucky stories is supposedly why Mark S bailed. And I don't blame him a bit, even though I really miss his character.

I think this is a matter of perspective.  I personally don't feel that Dean is just there to prop up Sam.  I think Dean's been an integral part of the storyline from the beginning, and continues to be.  Would I love to see better writing and some great scenes for all the actors to play...absolutely.  But I honestly wouldn't trade Dean's role for Sam's.  

I don't think we've yet been officially told whether Mark S. chose to go or was asked to go.  I know he said he wasn't happy with the writing for his character for the past few seasons, but I don't think his contract was renewed.  He could console himself with the fact that he truly wasn't that happy with the writing.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/31/2018 at 8:03 PM, Aeryn13 said:

Yikes. To me that`s like the trifecta of evil writing. 

I still very much hope that reason is not ice-bitch Mary. That would be such a disappointing backstory for me. It should be for world-saving purposes. Otherwise, it`s really not heroism, it`s selfish stupidity.   

Yes, considering how it all went down, it would be disgusting to bring the character back with a different actor.  

Well... if I put myself in Dean's mindset I get why he would not say yes in season 5.  It was stupid for Sam to say yes but Deasn absolutely would not have said yes if it meant giving up all free will, killing his brother and killing millions of innocents.  This time around he has leverage to make a deal on his terms, he has something he wants, he is that desperate.

I like Mary fine. She is a Winchester.  Poor thing. Samuel was her father.

I am pissed at how Mark Sheppard was treated. I personally loved his portrayal of Crowkey especially during his slow crawl towards humanity.   However there is something off with Letch, his body was handy, Criwket is a,survivor, Crowley has a history of successful plan B's and faking deaths,  and I just don"t buy him sacrificng himself.But Dabb and singer suck.  

Edited by Castiels Cat
28 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

I don't think we've yet been officially told whether Mark S. chose to go or was asked to go.

He made a remark at one of his last Creation Cons that it wasn't his choice. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Res said:

I wouldn't put it past Dabb to want to go with a more ensemble cast and trying to reduce J2s contracts with the excuse of more time off and needing more money diverted from J2 for the additional guest stars.

Personally, I wouldn’t have a problem with this since the two brother only episodes this season were dire and completely boring.

However, whether one looks at it as a good thing or bad, I think it has more to do with J2 than Dabb. They've mentioned at cons before an eagerness to get more time off to be with their family’s so I’d imagine that was a key part of previous negotiations. So I’d say the “blame” for the more ensemble feel lies with J2 rather than Dabb. Especially since their contracts are not negotiated with Dabb or the CW, but the WB itself. So chances are he’s just told “Jared and Ackles will be working x amount of days out of x amount of days this year, make it work” 

Honestly, if I had a choice between Supernatural continuing but with less of J2 I would rather the show end. They are why I watch. I enjoy many of the other characters of course but generally in relation to how they relate to the Winchesters. 

I loved the Most Holy Man as a brother-only episode this year. Can't remember the other one. I also loved Advanced Thanatology - was that it? I mean Death was in it of course and those scenes with Dean were amazing. 

• Love 5
(edited)
10 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

Honestly, if I had a choice between Supernatural continuing but with less of J2 I would rather the show end. They are why I watch. I enjoy many of the other characters of course but generally in relation to how they relate to the Winchesters. 

I loved the Most Holy Man as a brother-only episode this year. Can't remember the other one. I also loved Advanced Thanatology - was that it? I mean Death was in it of course and those scenes with Dean were amazing. 

The two brother only episodes this year were The Scorpion and the Frog and The Most Holy Man. IIRC those two episodes only featured Sam and Dean and a bunch of one off characters. 

Advanced Thantology was nearly a brother only episode. Although it did feature one recurring character (Billie) and a regular (Cas) though he only had a non speaking role in the final scene of the episode). 

Edited by Wayward Son