Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers With Speculation

SueB
Message added by ohjoy

Please keep your speculation and comments on the end of Supernatural in the Supernatural Ending topic. Use this topic here or the Bitter Speculation topic for discussion of the upcoming season only. As always, keep Bitch vs. Jerk discussion in its own topic.

Thank you.

• Start Topic

I think Thursday actually helps for me if I remember correctly.

I still watch Law & Order: SVU (I know, I know - it's a sickness), and since that's on Wednesday I would sometimes miss it and have to catch it on the Saturday rerun if I was lucky and it was on. I think there used to be a cooking show or something I watched on Wednesday also. And for some reason, almost everything I watch is on at 9:00 (rather than 8 or 10).

Now on Thursdays it will conflict with Project Runway (I know, I know - it's another sickness), but that reruns later that night, so I'm good... and also now I have On Demand for most things, so I'm okay with Thursday.

I like football, but I have Sunday for that (when I'm not taking an hour off for The Walking Dead), and even if there's a team I like on Thursday, those games usually go for 3 hours at least, so I can miss an hour to watch Supernatural.

As for the nostalgia... hee. I remember in the beginning, I used to love the Gilmore Girls * / Supernatural combination, because it made for a great night of TV for me... but then later I disliked the direction Gilmore Girls took, and I outright started to almost hate the show - enough that I couldn't even hate watch it anymore and actually gave up on it**, and I don't remember now how long the good pairing lasted before that happened.

* Gilmore Girls is what lead me to watch Supernatural in the first place, so I at least have that fondness for it.

** I didn't even watch the series finale episode of Gilmore Girls, because I was afraid to see what they would do with it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mertensia said:

I dunno; what is the overlap between Supernatural fans and the NFL or the NBA? I mean I love me some football but the NBA? Snoresville.

I used to watch the NBA, until it became all LeBron, all the time.  Dull as dishwater.  But I never watched live.  

Frankly, I'd be more concerned for Legends of Tomorrow than Supernatural.  It's up against Big Bang Theory, which might actually have some overlapping fans.  Supernatural will be up against:

ABC -- Notorious, a new show sandwiched between Shondaland.  Scandal returns mid-season.
CBS -- Mom/Life in Pieces.  Sitcoms.
Fox -- Pitch, about a young woman who becomes a pitcher in the MLB.  
NBC -- Chicago Med

I really don't see any of those shows competing for the same viewers as Supernatural.  I'd be much more concerned if Fox had put Lucifer (Monday), Scream Queens (Tuesday), or The Exorcist (Friday) on Thursday.

It's hard to tell with the two new shows, but I'm not sure how much of the audience actually overlaps with what it's up against. It could be Supernatural will provide an alternative for some folks and it picks up a bunch of new viewers in this time slot? Plus, Supernatural fans tend to follow this show wherever it goes so I'm not too worried about it...not yet anyway.  

15 hours ago, Demented Daisy said:

http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Supernatural-Season-12-Details-41813718?stream_view=1#interstitial-1

A handy list of the spoilers to date, most of which we've already covered.  I missed the interview with Misha:

I'm with @bearcatfan, that article was from back in June, so I'm guessing Misha was referring to Rick Springfield/Lucifer. Which makes sense Misha would be talking about it since Cass is supposed to be out hunting for Lucifer. 

For a minute there, though, I got excited trying to think of some possibilities. Although, Dabb did say they were introducing some new characters... . ;)

Hey, just remembered Mark Pelligrino tweeting that he'd be back as Lucifer this season. Perhaps we'll see some flashbacks with Mark as Lucifer, too?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mertensia said:

I dunno; what is the overlap between Supernatural fans and the NFL or the NBA? I mean I love me some football but the NBA? Snoresville.

The SPN core audience is loyal  and is pretty much 50/50 with male and female. It really depends on how much of that  audience watches sports and are Neilsen households. 

I'm not being sexist with my next comments: Males make up the larger swath of the audience for NFL and NBA. That's not news.  With SPN the male demo fluctuates from week to week as seen in the ratings thread.  Despite more importance given to other viewing methods or time shift watching by the network,  advertisers still covet the male 18-49 demo more than other demos. If that demo chooses NFL, NBA or MLB playoffs over SPN on Thursdays, that could hurt.  If the female audience for SPN, who watches sports (like me) fluctuates it might not hurt as much but it will hurt the overall 18-49 audience. For me on the West Coast, it doesn't matter because SPN airs later when most of the EC games are already over unless I choose other viewing methods.   Of course, I don't matter either way because I fall outside their coveted demos and I'm not a Nielsen household.

My only real influence is in Twitter ratings. That does count. So I will still watch SPN live if at all possible, so I can tweet about it during the important 3 hours before and after it airs.  Just as an aside, if y'all that don't do Twitter, this might be a good reason to start. The CW does look at Twitter ratings and there is no demo concern with that.

I will happily eat crows, hats, and crow's hats if the ratings hold steady or go up. Happily. 

I love sports but have never been able to get into the NBA. That's probably because our NBA team left when I was a young child. I find college BB much more entertaining.

Do you tweet reactions? I rarely tweet, although I have a twitter account.

1 hour ago, bearcatfan said:

I love sports but have never been able to get into the NBA. That's probably because our NBA team left when I was a young child. I find college BB much more entertaining.

Do you tweet reactions? I rarely tweet, although I have a twitter account.

I watch and tweet about baseball, football, basketball regularly but sadly, my teams are rarely if ever on national TV except for the Broncos. I subscribe to MLB.TV so I can watch baseball on my tablet or chromecast to my TV and still watch SPN live .

Tweets are counted for Nielsen Twitter ratings if you use #Supernatural hash tag.  Those are posted in the Ratings thread along with the normal ratings. SPN was often in the Top 5 on Wednesdays for non sports events.  Sports are counted in their own category. 

That's supposed to be the Hitler episode isn't it?

2 hours ago, auntvi said:

Nina Lopez-Corrado tweeted that she's finished prep for directing Episode 1205. The episode title is "The One You've Been Looking For", writer Meredith Glynn.  The title & director sound promising!

Edited by catrox14
8 minutes ago, auntvi said:

Oh shit! Are you f'ing kidding me??!! I take back all those good thoughts and hurl invective!

LOL.  Oddly, Nina Corrado's involvement upped my negative opinion. 

I don't remember seeing this piece posted from Zap2it re the Hitler episode.  If it's been posted before, let me know and I'll remove my link.

Why has it taken so long for ‘Supernatural’ to battle Hitler?

http://zap2it.com/2016/08/supernatural-season-12-sam-dean-winchester-fight-adolf-hitler/

Literal Zombie!Nazis would make this more interesting if they look something like this.

(this is from the article)

dead-snow-nazi-zombies.gif?w=769

• Love 1
On 8/19/2016 at 3:10 PM, Boopsahoy said:

I actually like the idea of Lucifer in a bunch of different fun bodies. Love the Rick Springfield idea-I think he will be great.

I was chatting with my mom, and we got around to talking about The Strain (my parents are trying to get caught up before the new season starts this weekend).  She said "gotta watch out for aging rock stars getting taken over" and I replied, "On that topic... guess who is coming to Supernatural to play Lucifer?  Rick Springfield!"  She said, "I really like him, maybe I'll start taping it". 

Mom will watch Supernatural with me when I'm visiting, but hasn't really gone through the series at all (she said she did try to start it last weekend, but got distracted by Longmire).  Count +1 for a fan, at least temporarily (I did warn her he'll only show up in a few episodes).

I will admit, I think most of my disgust over this comes from the fact that I'd rather have Lucifer just gone, and not about who's playing him.  I did love "Hard To Hold" and listened to the soundtrack endlessly during our road trips when I was younger.  So who knows, maybe it'll be awesome and I'll eat my words in a few months!

• Love 1

Yeah, I kinda wish they'd just leave the Lucifer stuff alone too, but if they must I guess it's better he's jumping bodies than coming back as a dead meat suit. And, I guess my reservations about bringing Lucifer back kinda tearing down what came before is already moot since they did that already last season. 

I guess I'm just going along for the ride this season. I can't seem to get too worked up one way or the other about anything. I can't decide if that's a good or bad thing. On the one hand, I don't waste as much time thinking about the show, but on the other, I kind miss the feeling of being excited about it. Ah well, I guess that feeling couldn't realistically last forever, right? ;)

• Love 2
On August 25, 2016 at 8:19 PM, catrox14 said:

LOL.  Oddly, Nina Corrado's involvement upped my negative opinion. 

I don't remember seeing this piece posted from Zap2it re the Hitler episode.  If it's been posted before, let me know and I'll remove my link.

Literal Zombie!Nazis would make this more interesting if they look something like this.

(this is from the article)

dead-snow-nazi-zombies.gif?w=769

Ah, Dead Snow.  Or its sequel, Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead.  Nah, it's the first.

• Love 1

I'm excited about them exploring "the hunters network". I know this is probably a very unpopular opinion but I'm kind of hoping that Sam and/or Dean will have a hunter love interest this year. I keep thinking about what Sam said last season (in episode 1104 "Baby") when he and Dean were talking about Sam having sex with that random waitress in the back seat. Sam said he wanted "something more" maybe with a hunter, someone that "understands the life". 

Not sure if this even qualify as a spoiler but I saw this on Samantha Smith's twitter account. Some fans thought they saw her at VanCon this weekend, but she says she was in LA all week. 

Do you think it means she wasn't filming for episode 1204 (that's the one about psychics if I'm not mistaken)? I know it takes them about 8 days to film an episode so if she was in LA for a week she probably wasn't filming for this episode and she's not in it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, goldy said:

I'm excited about them exploring "the hunters network". I know this is probably a very unpopular opinion but I'm kind of hoping that Sam and/or Dean will have a hunter love interest this year. I keep thinking about what Sam said last season (in episode 1104 "Baby") when he and Dean were talking about Sam having sex with that random waitress in the back seat. Sam said he wanted "something more" maybe with a hunter, someone that "understands the life". 

Not sure if this even qualify as a spoiler but I saw this on Samantha Smith's twitter account. Some fans thought they saw her at VanCon this weekend, but she says she was in LA all week. 

Do you think it means she wasn't filming for episode 1204 (that's the one about psychics if I'm not mistaken)? I know it takes them about 8 days to film an episode so if she was in LA for a week she probably wasn't filming for this episode and she's not in it.

Well reasoned!

I believe they're filming episode 5 right now--the Hitler episode. This was tweeted yesterday:

But yeah, if Samantha Smith has been in LA all week, I'd say she isn't in episode 4 or 5. Doesn't mean Mary is gone altogether, though. They probably only have her for a limited number of episodes this season and will do like they did with Kevin in S9--mention she's hiding in her room or on a bender in Branson--or like they do with Cass routinely--send him off on his own thing for a couple episodes.

3 hours ago, goldy said:

While I'm not necessarily hoping for love interests--this sort of thing usually doesn't go well for this show--I'm also excited about them exploring the hunter's network. I'm hoping it gets them back on the road a little more and it might be interesting to see Mary's circle of contacts. Maybe they aren't as "wild" as some of the hunters they've run across over the years?

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

I believe they're filming episode 5 right now--the Hitler episode. 

But yeah, if Samantha Smith has been in LA all week, I'd say she isn't in episode 4 or 5. Doesn't mean Mary is gone altogether, though. They probably only have her for a limited number of episodes this season and will do like they did with Kevin in S9--mention she's hiding in her room or on a bender in Branson--or like they do with Cass routinely--send him off on his own thing for a couple episodes.

They just started filming for episode 5 (I think they were on their first or second day of filming of episode 5 when Samantha Smith made the tweet) so this is why I thought that it was episode 4 she wasn't filming for. But I guess it could be both episode 4 and 5.

You're probably right. They'll probably have episodes where they'll mention her but will not show her, which I think is a good thing, I believe Mary will be an interesting character but its always a good idea to keep the focus on Sam and Dean.

this sort of thing usually doesn't go well for this show

That seems to be the general consensus in the fandom but I don't know, I thought Dean and Jo had some crazy chemistry going on back in the days. And I liked Sam with Eileen (the deaf girl from last season -- episode 11) I even liked Amelia and Sam for what it was. But what ever, the relationship between Sam and Dean is the main reason I watch the show, so as long as I have that, I'm good.

I'm also excited about them exploring the hunter's network. I'm hoping it gets them back on the road a little more and it might be interesting to see Mary's circle of contacts.

Do you think Mary will have contacts in the hunters world? I mean, all of the people she knows are probably in their 50s and we know that hunters tend to die young (due to the nature of the job). I'm not sure she'll know anyone.

Maybe they aren't as "wild" as some of the hunters they've run across over the years?

I would love to see more balanced hunters this year. I thought last year we started to see more of those  types of hunters; the gay hunters (episode 1119) and Eileen the deaf hunter were really cool.

5 minutes ago, goldy said:

They just started filming for episode 5 (I think they were on their first or second day of filming of episode 5 when Samantha Smith made the tweet) so this is why I thought that it was episode 4 she wasn't filming for. But I guess it could be both episode 4 and 5.

I'm not certain about episode 5, but I'm just making the assumption based on past seasons. Generally, the one offs are Sam and Dean, more often than not. However, that's just an assumption on my part.

9 minutes ago, goldy said:

That seems to be the general consensus in the fandom but I don't know, I thought Dean and Jo had some crazy chemistry going on back in the days. And I liked Sam with Eileen (the deaf girl from last season -- episode 11) I even liked Amelia and Sam for what it was. But what ever, the relationship between Sam and Dean is the main reason I watch the show, so as long as I have that, I'm good.

I meant it doesn't go well with fandom when they introduce love interests. I personally don't have a real issue with love interests myself, but usually what happens is they introduce a character, fandom goes crazy--nashing their teeth and all that--so they end up killing them off or sending them off-screen prematurely. I'd rather not get invested in a character if they're not going to really stick around for the long-haul.

13 minutes ago, goldy said:

Do you think Mary will have contacts in the hunters world? I mean, all of the people she knows are probably in their 50s and we know that hunters tend to die young (due to the nature of the job). I'm not sure she'll know anyone.

Not necessarily the same people, but her family probably had a network of people they worked with that could still be active today. I would imagine Grampy Campbell didn't tap into those contacts when he was brought back. I'd guess he only tapped the shadier elements that would go along with his shady plans at that time. I was just thinking about how Grampy Campbell said there were Campbells hacking the heads off vamps on the Mayflower. I think it suggests there could be more of a community of hunters who are more "settled" than most the hunters we've met on the show.

I also wonder if Mary will have heard bedtime stories of the MoL. Perhaps her grandparents or great-grandparents was one of the "trusted hunters" the MoL worked with on occasion? I'm just wondering if they're gonna use Mary to connect the hunter world with the MoL world more. It should also be interesting for her to learn that John was a Legacy considering she'd always believed him to be an innocent in all this crap. 

I meant it doesn't go well with fandom when they introduce love interests. I personally don't have a real issue with love interests myself, but usually what happens is they introduce a character, fandom goes crazy--nashing their teeth and all that--so they end up killing them off or sending them off-screen prematurely. I'd rather not get invested in a character if they're not going to really stick around for the long-haul.

I noticed that, and I think it's unfortunate. I also know what you mean about not wanting to invest in a character that would be sent off or killed off fairly quickly. Though,a lot of characters that were pretty popular got killed off in this show over the years too (Bobby, Charlie, Kevin etc) so its always hard to invest in characters in this show IMO. 

Not necessarily the same people, but her family probably had a network of people they worked with that could still be active today. I would imagine Grampy Campbell didn't tap into those contacts when he was brought back. I'd guess he only tapped the shadier elements that would go along with his shady plans at that time. I was just thinking about how Grampy Campbell said there were Campbells hacking the heads off vamps on the Mayflower.

Its possible. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think it suggests there could be more of a community of hunters who are more "settled" than most the hunters we've met on the show.

You mean like, hunters that have wives/husbands and kids and maybe living among other hunters?

If so, I think that could be pretty interesting because John always taught the boys not to get too attach to people so that the "monsters" won't use it against them. So for them to see hunters that live an almost normal life would be (I imagine) pretty inspiring.

I also wonder if Mary will have heard bedtime stories of the MoL. Perhaps her grandparents or great-grandparents was one of the "trusted hunters" the MoL worked with on occasion? I'm just wondering if they're gonna use Mary to connect the hunter world with the MoL world more.

I'm not so sure there were "trusted hunters" that worked with the MoL, I feel like the MoL felt superior to hunters (Henry even refer to them as "apes"). 

I think that hunters did not know that the MoL even existed,I mean; Bobby never knew about them and I always got the impression that Bobby was kind of a super hunter that knew about everything to do with the supernatural world.

29 minutes ago, goldy said:

I'm not so sure there were "trusted hunters" that worked with the MoL, I feel like the MoL felt superior to hunters (Henry even refer to them as "apes"). 

I think that hunters did not know that the MoL even existed,I mean; Bobby never knew about them and I always got the impression that Bobby was kind of a super hunter that knew about everything to do with the supernatural world.

Actually, Henry says the MoL worked with a select group of hunters from time to time. I was just watching As Time Goes By this morning, so it was fresh on my mind and what got me to thinking about this. My impression was that, since the MoL stuck to their research and didn't get involved, on occasion they would give information to hunters they trusted to handle the situations. Dorothy (from the Wizard of Oz episode) was a hunter and her father a Man of Letters.

IMO, Bobby wouldn't know about them, except maybe hearing some tales told around the campfire type thing, because they disappeared in the 1940s and Bobby didn't become a hunter until decades later. The Campbells have a hunting legacy that stretches back to the middle ages, I wouldn't be surprised if the Campbells and the Winchesters haven't crossed paths long before Sam and Dean were born.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, goldy said:

You mean like, hunters that have wives/husbands and kids and maybe living among other hunters?

Yeah, kinda like how Mary's family was when she was young. They appeared to be "settled" in Lawrence when Dean was first sent back in time in S4.

• Love 1

Oh yay, Sam tied to a tiny chair being tortured by someone half his size and here I was worried this season might be repetitive with Lucifer being around again and all. My eyes hurt from the rolling. The BMoL seem remarkably similar to the uptight angels, did they reuse the wardrobe and hairstyles?

• Love 5

So nothing new in those pics. The thing I am most looking forward to in the premiere is the reunion hug between Dean and Cas. Not even kidding. Everything else seems pretty predictable given we predicted most of it already. @TRXR4KIDS  but Bob Singer said it would fresh and not redundant. Sam is being interrogated by two women this time! That's new.... ?

Edited to add.

Thanks for link @SueB. I'm gonna bring the pics over from your link :). 

spn_1201_7.jpgspn_1201_1.jpg

spn_1201_2.jpg

spn_1201_3.jpgspn_1201_4.jpg

spn_1201_5.jpgspn_1201_6.jpgspn_1201_8.jpgspn_1201_9.jpgspn_1201_10.jpg

spn_1201_11.jpgspn_1201_12.jpg

spn_1201_14.jpg

I do love the pic of Dean and Cas in the front seat together looking like they are in beast mode. That's what I'm talking about!

Please show I BEG OF YOU. DO NOT MAKE MARY AND CAS a thing. I don't care about whatever silly thing Misha said at Comic Con about Cas hitting on Mary. I am 99.9999999% certain that Misha was joking but I am terrified of that .00000000001% chance that someone in the show will think it's just hilarious for that to become a thing. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

Someone spotted them filming yesterday or today. 

This is funny. I would be saying the same thing 'Oh Jesus Christ!"

Listen to Baby as Jensen is driving in reverse. It's my kink. Don't shame me.

http://ibelieveinthelittletreetopper.tumblr.com/post/149688707216/so-heres-one-of-the-greatest-moments-of-my

No judging! I'm pretty sure the "driving in reverse" is a subclass of the "competency" kink many people have.

Regarding Mary and Cas - I'm also certain that Misha was joking. OTOH, I would take DELIGHT in Cas being "teacher's pet" because 1) the number of times he's saved her children and 2) he rats them out to their mother in usual clueless mode.  Misha still can pull off guileless with such skill.  And it would be fun IMO.  He'd clue in eventually but Mary, once she starts reforming her bond with the boys, probably would really appreciate an angel watching over both Sam and Dean.  

Edited by SueB
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

Actually, Henry says the MoL worked with a select group of hunters from time to time. I was just watching As Time Goes By this morning, so it was fresh on my mind and what got me to thinking about this. My impression was that, since the MoL stuck to their research and didn't get involved, on occasion they would give information to hunters they trusted to handle the situations. Dorothy (from the Wizard of Oz episode) was a hunter and her father a Man of Letters.

IMO, Bobby wouldn't know about them, except maybe hearing some tales told around the campfire type thing, because they disappeared in the 1940s and Bobby didn't become a hunter until decades later. The Campbells have a hunting legacy that stretches back to the middle ages, I wouldn't be surprised if the Campbells and the Winchesters haven't crossed paths long before Sam and Dean were born.

My apologies. I went back and watched the episode and he does say it. I must have missed it the first time I watched.

I definitely think you're right. There is a possibility that someone from Mary's family was one of the "trusted hunters" and I  can totally see them connecting Mary to the MoL storyline. 

6 hours ago, SueB said:

12.1 Pics: pictures!

I love those!

Is Mary wearing Dean's jacket or am I imagining things?

5 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Please show I BEG OF YOU. DO NOT MAKE MARY AND CAS a thing. I don't care about whatever silly thing Misha said at Comic Con about Cas hitting on Mary. I am 99.9999999% certain that Misha was joking but I am terrified of that .00000000001% chance that someone in the show will think it's just hilarious for that to become a thing. 

Oh God, I hope not! I don't mind them having some kind of deep friendship but anything more than that would just be creepy! 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, goldy said:

Is Mary wearing Dean's jacket or am I imagining things?

It appears so...awww, Dean was a gentleman and gave her his jacket. I wonder where she got the jeans and shirt? Last we saw of her she was wearing that white nightgown.

3 minutes ago, goldy said:

My apologies.

No apologies needed!

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

It appears so...awww, Dean was a gentleman and gave her his jacket. I wonder where she got the jeans and shirt? Last we saw of her she was wearing that white nightgown

I just figure Dean has extra clothes in his duffle bag in the trunk. .

50 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

It appears so...awww, Dean was a gentleman and gave her his jacket. I wonder where she got the jeans and shirt? Last we saw of her she was wearing that white nightgown

I just figure Dean has extra clothes in his duffle bag in the trunk. .

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Diane said:

Ok, I give I have no idea who is the author is? Sorry in advance.

She not only wrote for TWoP, but filled in recapping for Supernatural in S4 when the regular recapper Demian was injured. They named the nurse at the end of the season after her.

ETA: or what catrox said while I was distracted by a co-worker.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

So I'm throwing out this wild ass spec.

Adam Rose aka Aaron Bass  tweeted the below.  He's going to Canada. Not sure if it's Vancouver and he could be any number of things BUT since they are shooting the Hitler episode this week...I'm thinking maybe he's going for that? No confirmation from him at all but hey, I'm putting it out there as my guess.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

So I'm throwing out this wild ass spec.
 Adam Rose aka Aaron Bass  tweeted the below.  He's going to Vancouver. Now he could be doing any number of things BUT since they are shooting the Hitler episode this week...I'm thinking maybe he's going for that? No confirmation from him at all but hey, I'm putting it out there as my guess.

eted this

Would love that!

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Flash, Once, Nashville, Bates Motel, Supernatural, Bones, Stranger Things and More

TVLine (Ausiello) spoilers.

@SueB is this you?? ;)

Question: Any intel on the English Rose on Supernatural? —Sue
Ausiello: Lady Toni Bevell (Elizabeth Blackmore) and her brethren across the pond certainly “didn’t start off on the right foot” with the Winchesters, seeing as how she shot Sam in last May’s finale, notes Jared Padalecki. Indeed, as co-showrunner Andrew Dabb explains, “Toni is very against Dean and Sam and has studied them and has very strong opinions about them, [which are] not positive.” That said, Dabb teases that a compromise of sorts may be in the offing seeing as how “there are other people in the British Men of Letters who want to take a different approach [with the Winchesters].”

Edited by catrox14