Type keyword(s) to search

Who Turned Out The Lights?: Sitcom Episodes That Deal With Dark/Heavy Topics

Kromm
  • Start Topic

In Boy Meets World the Season Four episode 'Cult Fiction' had the protagonist's pal Shawn Hunter eagerly buy the claims of the Fagin/Heaven's Gate type leader of this live-in cult called  The Centre due to having been treated as expendable for much of his life by his actual parents. Cory and as well as the Matthews and Mr. Feeney all try to stress to him how they consider him a person of value for who he is. Mr. Turner makes a very impassioned speech about how joining this group would destroy his uniqueness and that it would be the worst decision of his life.  Believe it or not, he still opts to join this cult despite Mr. Feeney telling the leader Mr. Mack that he'd been trying to shut the place down for years AND Mr. Matthews going so far as to tell Mr. Mack that he'd KILL him if he harmed Shawn due to Shawn being the best friend possible to his son.

It's only when Shawn sees Mr. Turner unconscious in the hospital bed after a motorcycle accident that he sees that he DOES believe in God & asks God to heal Mr. Turner AND that his place is to be with those who sincerely care about HIM instead of just wanting to exploit him. 

It's a rather moving episode which gives good pause about why so many desperate folks who have been let down by their loved ones are so eager to join groups that tell them what they want to hear even to the point of totally sacrificing their individuality.

Of course, it's rather frustrating in retrospect that, despite its ending of Shawn evidently wanting the best for his injured mentor, that's the very last time Mr. Turner is seen on the show with only a few passing references for the rest of the show's run. Yes, they later update his status on Girl Meets World but it's rather puzzling that they dropped this character and storyline like a hot potato the next season. This despite the fact that all the young performers have since stated that they enjoyed working with the performer Anthony Tyler Quinn and Mr. Quinn stating how he was PROUD of this role. 

Edited by Blergh
fagin for shylock
  • Love 9
On 9/10/2015 at 8:17 PM, Sandman87 said:

Frasier managed to work in some heavier subject matter without being too blatant about it. There were several episodes that examined the situational ethics of being a licensed psychiatrist with a radio or TV show. If someone calls in for advice, does that make them a patient? Given that it's a broadcast radio show, is there still doctor-patient confidentiality? Would it be acceptable to date them? And what about listeners who don't call in but take your advice? Would they be considered patients?

One of my favorite "heavy" Frasier episodes is "A Day in May" when Martin (Frasier's dad) disappears and no one seems to know where he is.  He calls and tells them he went to the racetrack, but in real life he's sitting in a small gray room, talking cryptically with a middle aged woman, whom he apparently meets this way every year.  It turns out to be the parole hearing for the man who shot Martin right before the series begins, when Martin was a police officer who tried to stop an armed robbery.  It was handled delicately, and even though Martin obviously made a point of being at the hearing, he opts not to make a statement.  John Mahoney's expressions throughout speak more eloquently than any script could.

• Love 16

Great call. I love that storyline, too. It's so powerful and heartbreaking-on both ends. 

I also really liked the way that show discussed things like the fear of death and aging in its more serious moments. There was an episode where Eddie was sad, and that led everyone else to try and figure out why he was sad, which led them to start thinking about the things that were bothering them, which turned into a pretty weighty discussion of the subject of death. 

• Love 6

Came upon this thread again while poking around these forums, and bumping it to add United States of Al to the list, as it most certainly qualifies for this thread. From discussing the struggle involving interpreters waiting for visas to come to the States, to the recent season premiere that dealt with the Taliban takeover in Afghanistan this past summer, to exploration of one's struggle with mental health issues and the importance of getting the help and support one needs for such things, this show has been quite bold in addressing so many important, serious topics thus far, and ones that don't always get the kind of attention they deserve at that. And they've been doing so incredibly well with all of it thus far, too - there's an honesty and sincerity and sensitivity about it all that I really appreciate. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Came upon this thread again while poking around these forums, and bumping it to add United States of Al to the list, as it most certainly qualifies for this thread. From discussing the struggle involving interpreters waiting for visas to come to the States, to the recent season premiere that dealt with the Taliban takeover in Afghanistan this past summer, to exploration of one's struggle with mental health issues and the importance of getting the help and support one needs for such things, this show has been quite bold in addressing so many important, serious topics thus far, and ones that don't always get the kind of attention they deserve at that. And they've been doing so incredibly well with all of it thus far, too - there's an honesty and sincerity and sensitivity about it all that I really appreciate. 

I totally agree. I am very impressed with this show. They deal with lots of important topics so well and so real. They really highlight serious things in a wonderful way.

• Love 5

I'm so happy that United States of Al has been brought up. When it comes to mental health issues, TV/movies portray it in such a negative light. Either the person is completely off the rails and can't function, or they are a murderous criminal. United States of Al shows that people who have mental health issues can be kind, smart, educated, and functioning members of society. As someone who has dealt with depression, anxiety, and PTSD, I'm so glad this shows handles this topic in a sensitive and empathetic way, while bringing some humor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

The shortlived Dana Carvey Show aired in 1995. Featured in it's cast future stars Steve Carrell and Stephen Colbert and head writer Rob Smigel(Triumph the Insult Comic Dog). ABC debuted the rather risque sketch show after family friendly Home Improvement which turned out not to be the best fit. Especially when the latter aired an episode where middle son Randy(Jonathan Taylor Thomas) had a cancer scare:

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Love 5

Fans of Big Bang Theory knew that Young Sheldon would have to deal with some pretty grim subject matter eventually and I think we were bracing ourselves for an adultery storyline and, of course the eventual death of George.  However I don't think we were expecting things to play out quite as they have!  We've got job losses for both parents, Mary losing her place within her Church community and most of all the idiotic pregnancy storyline that has been playing out for a few months now.  To quote Penny from Big Bang "Yeah. Is it a comedy, is it a drama? Nobody knows!"

• Love 2

The WKRP episodes previously mentioned are great ones.  I loved that show. 

I'd like to add to the list the "Alf Christmas special" from the late 80's.  For a sitcom featuring an Alien that always getting into wacky trouble every episode, this one was truly a different kind of episode dealing with suicide and a terminally ill young girl on Christmas Eve. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)

While All in the Family had its share of dark episodes, its hard to top the one called 'Archie is Branded' (1973) in which a swastika gets painted on the Bunker front door and it appears that Archie is somehow the  mistaken target of anti-Semites. Anyway, an activist Paul Benjamin (played by, of all performers, Gregory Sierra) shows up to urge Archie to fight fire with fire. It has some lighter moments such as when they think a  mailed package possibly may be a bomb- only to soak it and find out that its contents had  had been imported cigars intended for Archie AND that Edith with her kitchen egg timer  inside her smock pocket had been standing too close to the package! Oh, and also Mr. Benjamin calls Archie 'Bubi' (which means 'baby' in German and often used as pet name in German-speaking households).

However after Mr. Benjamin decamps the Bunker household (and  immediately Archie and Edith have a comical routine about the meaning of shalom), a loud explosion  heard. ..and the Four run to their front door to open it in shock with Archie exclaiming 'Holy Cheez! They blew up Paul in his CAR!' and THAT was the end of the episode.

Yep not only was there nothing about anyone contacting the police etc. but, despite the man having been killed in his car that had been parked in front of Casa Bunker in broad daylight, no one  mentioned what the entire neighborhood had to have witnessed having happened or any aftermath- EVER!

It shook me up  as a pre-teen seeing it broadcast for the first time (and it threw both my parents for a loop) and it still disturbs me over a half-century later recalling it!

Edited by Blergh
  • Hugs 3

Yeah, that episode was startling. And then of course there's the one with Edith's 50th birthday...

Good to see this thread bumped, 'cause I'd like to include the episode "Holes are Bad" from this past season of Ghosts. The reveal of how Hetty died

Spoiler

via suicide

is tragic and heartbreaking, and the fact that storyline and reveal is balanced against an incredilby heartwarming reunion makes it all the more poignant. The show even had a number at the end for viewers to call and everything. 

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, that episode was startling. And then of course there's the one with Edith's 50th birthday...

Good to see this thread bumped, 'cause I'd like to include the episode "Holes are Bad" from this past season of Ghosts. The reveal of how Hetty died

Hide contents

via suicide

is tragic and heartbreaking, and the fact that storyline and reveal is balanced against an incredilby heartwarming reunion makes it all the more poignant. The show even had a number at the end for viewers to call and everything. 

Rebecca Wisocki and Ghosts deserved an Emmy for that episode. 

• Like 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Rebecca Wisocki and Ghosts deserved an Emmy for that episode.

At least a nomination for Wisocky!  I did not find season three as great as the first two, but still good (especially for a season shortened by AMTPT's refusal to resolve the strike sooner, and one in which one cast member was on maternity leave and one whose pregnancy had to be shot around) and that particular episode and the finale fired on all cylinders.  A series has to submit six eligible episodes for consideration, though, and they didn't have six of those ten episodes deserving of an Emmy for show or writing, fine (although I'd have still liked to see a nomination, even if it wasn't going to win).  But actors only have to submit one episode, and I can't imagine a world in which Wisocky submitted anything other than that episode for consideration, so I was greatly disappointed when she was not nominated -- her performance required both the usual comedy and a far greater degree of drama than is typical for an actor in the Comedy categories and she nailed both.

Anyway, yes, specific to the topic, the episode was a terrific example.  The show has dealt with personal issues dramatically before, like confronting a parent and learning of a spouse's infidelity, but Hetty's reflection on the reasons for her choice and her regret over it was a departure, and very well done.  I re-watched the season as a whole only once, but that episode alone several times.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4