Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

My icon had disappeared. So found it again. It's my son photographed as his favorite (and mine) superhero in front of a green screen and I added the sky later. It's also my Twitter icon.

My username is from Star Trek Deep Space Nine, my favorite Star Trek female, Jadzia Dax. I modified it when I got my gmail account to daxx. I don't talk about the end of her storyline because I'm still heartbroken.

When I choosed this username, I was working on a radio station and I am a girl, so it made sense. I don't work on the radio anymore, but I've been using it for so long, that I don't want to change it. The number is totally random. My icon is Mafalda, the protagonist of a popular comic strip. Well, she is very popular in Spain and Latin America.

Hello, my name is Jennifer and I like Once Upon a Time :). I think there's someone on Tumblr with this handle, but it isn't me. This is the only place I use this screenname. I'm from the deep southeast, and I'm also a fan of "Northern Exposure", "House", the first three Star Wars movies that came out in the 70's and 80's, and the Star Trek reboot films. I also read way too much fanfiction!

Edited by OnceUponAJen

Mine, pezgirl7, is because I collect Pez dispensers (I think I have about 250 now), I'm a girl (shocker), and 7 is my lucky number, and my birthday. My user icon is pretty obvious! I love Hook, and the smolder, and I think I've had the same icon since I first joined the board. It's perfect, why change it? :)

Your icon always makes me smile, pezgirl7. I don't collect them, but I love seeing all the different Pez dispensers that they've made through the years.

So, ABitOFluff started out as a Livejournal/blog handle. On one hand, it's a tribute to A Bit of Fry and Laurie. On the other hand, I've been writing since I was very young, but I enjoy writing humorous essays more than anything else. My writing is not to be taken too seriously, because I write "bits of fluff".

I also had to get my icon back. That's Mickey, now a 12 year old cockapoo, in devil's horns. I think he was about 3 years old when I took the picture, but the devil's costume fits his personality too well. I remember I also had to stick him on a chair and take the picture quickly before he ran away and used the horns as a chew toy.

So in grad school, I worked on a project in which the team members all had fish-related nicknames. I chose sharky and it's kind of followed me across the Internet after that. I've actually had this as a username on another forum for 15 years. Craziness!

My icon is a skull and crossed knitting needles that says, "Knit or die." I adore knitting! I'm particularly fond of making socks, especially after living in LA for five years where knitting a hat and scarf was totally impractical. I organized my sock box a few weeks ago and realized I had almost 30 pairs of hand knit socks.

When I choosed this username, I was working on a radio station and I am a girl, so it made sense. I don't work on the radio anymore, but I've been using it for so long, that I don't want to change it.

What did you do at the radio station? Were you a DJ or announcer?

Sharky, I never noticed the knitting needles in your icon. I just thought you liked pirates. :)

Thanks for sharing everyone!

I thought it was just a pirate's skull & crossbones, too! LOL!

My screen name is French for Mouse, which is my oldest cat's name -- he's 19-1/2. My pic is a different cat of mine. I tried to change it awhile back but it wouldn't let me.

My screen name is really boring, just my first and middle names. That's in part because I seem to have weird identity issues and don't like going by another name, but mostly because of a long-established Internet identity. When I first got on Usenet in the early 90s, I did it through work, so I was using my work e-mail address (I was working at a university, so I had a university address and access to the university server even though at the time we weren't using e-mail for business purposes), which was my name. I got to be pretty well known on a few TV newsgroups, then when I got a personal account at home, I realized that having my first and last name all over the Internet might not be the greatest idea (since I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world with my name -- if you have my last name, you're related to me fairly closely, and I know no one in my family has the same first name), so I created an address using my first name and middle name to provide some continuity with my identity but without having my last name attached. So when I transferred my TV discussion to TWOP, I stuck with the name, and then transferred it here. The pic is kind of an inside joke among my friends. For some reason I'm not entirely sure of, I'm known for being rather formidable and terrifying -- if you want to get something done and get people to do it, you have me be the one to say it needs to be done, and people hop to it. When they had the Iron Throne at a WorldCon for photos, of course I had to get a photo to match my reputation, and that's become my go-to user icon, I guess to strike fear into people's hearts.

Though maybe I should do something with knitting needles. Fellow knitter here, sharky, but I do fancy lace shawls. I've never tried socks.

Alex is the diminutive of my name, Alessandra :)

Not enough imagination to come out with a nick! Even if, I have to say, Alex is a diminutive and my professional name (used to work with anglophone people and they like diminutives!), it became a sort of alias, my professional self :)

I'm a very lazy knitter too... Been doing a vest (jumper without sleeves) for more than a year. Completed the back, half way to the front, but as I'm negate to count the lines, I don't know where I have to start to increase... Should take a couple of classes, I really should!

Also, I haven't written here in ages. I read almost daily, but I don't have anything to add.

Hi everyone, it has been a while since I've posted but I'm sure you all understand that life can get pretty busy sometimes.  I'm looking forward to the new season of TV viewing and commentary.

Regarding our usernames: my user name is the name of a favorite character from the Lensman Series of books by E. E. "Doc" Smith.  They are great space opera novels and I loved reading them when I was a kid.  After much searching I found a picture of Worsel (although it is different from what I imagined when I read the books) and used that as my icon.  

Happy weekend everyone!

What did you do at the radio station? Were you a DJ or announcer?

Both actually. And many other things, like ads, news bulletins, controlling the mixing console for the collegues that couldn't do it, office work, etc. It was a very small radio station, so we didn't have assigned roles and we all did everything. It was stressful but sometimes I miss it. I love teaching, but sometimes I just miss being in front of a mic.

• Love 1

I've had Rumsy4 as my online username for a while (though I occasionally change it up). It's based on a variation of my real name. As for my icon, it's an untitled portait by Alphonse Mucha. I've been using this as my icon for a while now as well. I like it because the lady in the portrait is wearing a high-waisted Regency-type gown, and I love Jane Austen. :-P

Mine is Selina K - Selina Kyle - Catwoman. When the Internet was born, I used to participate on talkers through telnet and the second Batman movie with Michelle Pfeiffer had come out and I was young and the Internet was new and so I used Selina as a handle in a few places and just haven't come up with anything I like any better so 23 years later I'm still Selina.

KingOfHearts probably comes from my taste for Alice in Wonderland, plus Cora is my favorite villain on the show. I haven't added an icon yet because I haven't found one I like yet. ;)

Sometimes I think my user name just shows I'm the only man who posts on here.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Sometimes I think my user name just shows I'm the only man who posts on here.

Nah, there's at least one other semi-regular that I know of who is male.

My name is one I use for my fantasy team. I like the Get Smart version of chaos. My icon is a chaos star or something.

Nah, there's at least one other semi-regular that I know of who is male.

My name is one I use for my fantasy team. I like the Get Smart version of chaos. My icon is a chaos star or something.

Yes, the last time I checked, I was male.  :)  I just rarely post in this particular thread.

My user name comes from my profession (I'm a legal assistant) and my age (53) at the time I joined this particular site.  Over on the dear departed TWOP site (RIP), I was legaleagle44, since I was 44 when I first joined that site wayyy back in 2005 (was that really ten years ago?).

• Love 3

My username is just part of my real name. It was my username in TWoP too so I didn't want to change it either. My icon is Emma cutting down Regina's apple tree because I like to remember when she was doing that instead of what we got on season 4.

My icon is Mafalda, the protagonist of a popular comic strip. Well, she is very popular in Spain and Latin America.

I've always loved your icon! (I'm Argentinian)

• Love 3

I'm so glad there were other people that were around TWOP for that long! I first joined the Alias board back in the day. Yea, that makes me feel old now.

Oh, honey, I was around TWOP back when it was Mighty Big TV! I was posting in the X-Files board. So you can at least feel younger than me, LOL!

• Love 1

I discovered and lurked around TWOP for it's final year, about. I was so upset I didn't find it sooner. I loved reading through the zillions of pages worth of discussion.

To say nothing of the (in my opinion) vastly superior recaps.  I'm sorry (not really), but Cindy McLennan's funny, snark-filled recaps of OUAT were something I looked forward to reading almost as much I as looked forward to the show itself.

• Love 3

I started lurking on TWOP/MBTV in 1999 or so. I read the recaps and some of the boards, but didn't post. Most of my posting was still happening at Usenet, but someone at Usenet linked to something at MBTV, and that's how I found it. I finally signed up for an account and started posting in 2002 when I had something I wanted to say about Firefly. I'd been reading that forum because the Usenet forum for the show wasn't all that great, and I finally posted. Now it doesn't seem like Usenet is anything like what it used to be, and my ISP doesn't even allow access to it.

I started rewatching some Once episodes last week when my cable box decided to reboot right when I was in "hmm, I need to watch something for an hour or so to unwind from dance class" mode, and I may continue because I have a new-to-me TV. I had a 26-inch HDTV that's about nine years old, and I was planning to get a bigger one, but that got put on hold because I was planning to sell my house and I figured I'd wait to see the configuration of the new house. I'm still sort of planning to move, but not in the immediate future (there's repair work I have to wait for the HOA to do). But my parents got a new TV, and when I was visiting them this weekend they offered me their old 32-inch TV. It's just big enough to be a noticeable difference, and it's a lot newer than my TV. It should hold me until I figure out my housing situation. The picture on this "new" TV is so pretty. I watched "The Crocodile" last week because I love the footage on the real ship, and I may have to rewatch at least a part of it again.

• Love 1

This is random, but I suddenly got hit by Scooby Doo feels, but....

Is there anyone who DOESN'T ship Fred and Daphne, or am I alone in the world?

It's strange to look bak and see how My thoughts on them have changed over the years.

I think I used to lowkey ship them, but then the newer stuff came out and it just turned me off completely.

Daphne became vain and Fred obsessed, Fred turned dumb, and Velma's sarcasm was turned up so high that it made it seem like she looked down upon those who were not as smart as her.

Daphne is my favorite character. I know the Scooby Doo characters weren't very fleshed out in the old shows, but I just don't like what they turned them into.

Another strange tid-bit: I liked Daphne's 80s look in the 13 Ghosts and am sad that they never finished the series.

Sorry for the randomness, but I've been meaning to get these thoughts off my chest for years.

Daphne, Shaggy, and Scooby were the golden trio. Zombie Island is the best movie (besides the old ones like Ghoul School).

Also: Strangers on a Train is on tcm at 8 est. tonight and that's my favorite Hitchcock film! At least I have something to fill the recent Sunday void Poldark left me with.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

The Perseid Meteor shower is this week! They have it pegged from the 11th-14th with the peak happening on the 12th/13th. You can already see a few during the night. It's also a waning crescent, so the moonlight won't interfere too much!

Knowing my luck though, Michigan weather will strike again and it'll cloud over. :'D

• Love 1

In the interests of distraction on a slow day, anyone want to chime in on other shows we use the PTV boards for or used to follow on TwOP?

Back on TwOP I used to follow the BSG boards and would read the House Hunters boards.  Those were fun for the insight, so when the rest of the world was shocked that HH was staged, all I could think was 1000 pages of TwOP discussion indicated a lot of people knew.

Here at PTV I follow Gotham, but have honestly just been in sort of a TV funk lately.  I tried to get into Outlander and just didn't like it enough to go back and with it being historical romance and Ron Moore, I was disappointed I didn't find it engaging.  I watch GoT but sort of reluctantly since I ultimately find it depressing.  I'm resisting getting into any more dramas.

I follow: Ouat, OnceWonderland (which is pretty much dead), Gotham, Deadliest Catch, The Muppets, Galavant, Poldark, Downton Abbey (so pretty much the masterpiece classic shows), Gravity Falls, and HTGAWM. I occasionally chime in on other boards, but OUAT is pretty much my home base.

It's hard to get a discussion, etc. going on some of the smaller boards (Like GF or the Wonderland board because the show's over), or some aren't very active when the show isn't on (HTGAWM).

The OUAT board is pretty darn active year-round though, which is why I love it.

• Love 1

I've been reading the Astronaut Wives Club board, because I've been loving the show & the historical stuff they post there is extremely interesting. I occasionally read & may comment every now & then on a few other boards, like HTGAWM, Poldark, Falling Skies or Orphan Black, but not regularly. Once is the only board I visit daily.

I post some on the Game of Thrones threads, and I've been posting on Dark Matter because it's yet another show that has a lot of potential but is poorly executed. During the season, I post on Haven and Grimm, but the Haven forum is just about dead at the moment and I was so out of the majority opinion on Grimm that reading the forum actually diminished my interest in the show last season, so I may not pick up the forum again this season. I skim through and read a lot of others, depending on how much I'm procrastinating at the moment.

I posted a lot more on TWOP, and I think a lot of it is because the single thread forums for some shows worked better for smaller shows than subdividing it into multiple topics. With a single thread, one post had more impact. When it's all spread out, there's not enough critical mass for discussion to get going and the forum dies.

Since I work at home, this is more or less my water cooler when I need some social interaction during the day.

I'm pretty much here. On TWOP, I also posted on the Alias and Office boards. I finally gave up on that last one when I mentioned a Jim/Pam fanfic website I worked on. Apparently, that was boards on boards and I got a warning so I stopped posting there until Once came along.

Has Anyone been trying to catch the meteor shower? I saw 9 shooting stars last night. I was only outside for about 40 minutes though (and it was earlier in the night). At least I got to see some. Living in Michigan is rough when it comes to watching astronomical events (there's like an 85% it'll be cloudy on those days). Tonight looks like it'll be cloudy, but I'm hoping it'll magically clear up by tonight.

I totally forgot about it last night!

You still should be able to see some tonight! I think the 12th and 13th were the peaks, but you can still probably catch some the next 2 days or so.

I forgot to make a wish when I saw them! Hmm...maybe I should wish for Ouat in Wonderland to get a dvd release or be put on Netflix...

I got a new cell phone, replacing a 5-year-old one that was so obscure a model that I never found any nifty accessories for it. So I had to go get a case for the new one, and Target had a really cute one that looks fairy tale-ish and says "Once Upon a Time." I had to get it, but it's not necessarily because of this show. I'm a fairy tale geek and a lot of my writing is influenced by fairy tales, which is why I like this show. But yeah, I'll look like a raving Oncer if I use my phone while wearing my Captain Hook tank top.

I think for added protection the phone in its case will go in my knitted TARDIS phone cozy (though I might need to make a new one because the old one is getting stretched-out and ratty).

• Love 1

On a complete whim, today I ordered this because it's my favorite all-time moment, and comes in a purple v-neck.

I think for added protection the phone in its case will go in my knitted TARDIS phone cozy (though I might need to make a new one because the old one is getting stretched-out and ratty).

That reminds me, I recently lost the black, quilted Mickey Mouse cozy I had for my phone. I'm bummed, because I loved it and nothing else works as well. I guess I have to take a trip back to Disney World and get another if they still have them.

Edited by ABitOFluff
  • Love 1

That is such a cute shirt! It'll look so pretty in purple! I'll admit that I hardly own any fandom/tv/movie inspired clothing (unless you count old play-clothes, lol). I own a Doctor Who shirt, a Hogwarts coat-of-arms shirt, and a Goofy sweater. That's it, otherwise I'm a plain jane. I'd totally buy more Disney stuff though.

And Speaking of phones, mine is currently lost. It's just a track phone though, and still has about a month before it expires. I'm just cursing my poor memory. I had it after we returned from camping in July. And I remember seeing it in my room a little bit after that too. I've looked in all the usual places a good number of times. Guh. I've slowly begun to tear my room apart. I won't sleep well until I find it.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

That is such a cute shirt! It'll look so pretty in purple! I'll admit that I hardly own any fandom/tv/movie inspired clothing (unless you count old play-clothes, lol). I own a Doctor Who shirt, a Hogwarts coat-of-arms shirt, and a Goofy sweater. That's it, otherwise I'm a plain jane. I'd totally buy more Disney stuff though.

And Speaking of phones, mine is currently lost. It's just a track phone though, and still has about a month before it expires. I'm just cursing my poor memory. I had it after we returned from camping in July. And I remember seeing it in my room a little bit after that too. I've looked in all the usual places a good number of times. Guh. I've slowly begun to tear my room apart. I won't sleep well until I find it.

It is a cute shirt! I admit, I love some Disney couture. Every time I go to Orlando, I spend as much time shopping as I do going to the attractions. I have several Disney related bags, and last time I was there, they had a pirate's satchel that I really wanted. However, it was Jack Sparrow themed, and while I love the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, I was never that into the movies. Now if it was Hook-themed, it would be a completely different story.

I don't have a lot of geeky shirts, other than convention staff shirts. But I do have a couple of vintage-style Star Wars t-shirts, an old-school Doctor Who logo shirt, a University of Gallifrey shirt (I got the last two from someone I met at TWOP who was at WorldCon in Denver -- she apparently used to run a Doctor Who fan club and was clearing out her storage unit. All she had were size small shirts, and that's one time when being little paid off), and then the "I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away" shirt I got with my Captain Hook shirt.

This week was the kids music and art camp sponsored by my church, and I was volunteering. I wore one of the Star Wars shirts on Monday because that tends to give me instant credibility with kindergarten boys, and I wore the "stole a Time Lord" shirt on Friday. On that day, one of my teen helpers was wearing a Sherlock shirt and the other was wearing a Weasley's Wizard Wheezes shirt, so we had geekery covered. It turned out that the Doctor Who shirts give me instant credibility with teens. I didn't wear the Captain Hook shirt because I was afraid it was a bit too risky wearing something white I wouldn't want to mess up around very small children.

I really need a Firefly-related shirt. I have a polo shirt with the Chinese symbol for "Serenity" on it from a Firefly event, but that one's pretty subtle (and people who don't know what it means think you're a recovering alcoholic, or something like that, when you tell them what your shirt says).

I ordered the Hook mug & black tank online since they didn't have either at my local Hot Topic. Went tonight to pick them up at the store -- and of course they have the mugs in now! I didn't look to see if they'd gotten anything else in because it made me cranky.

I'm scared to use the mug because I fear I might break it.

I don't remember where we first started discussing an open thread for some episodes last season, so I'm posting it here--if it's the wrong place, I apologize in advance.

Are we going to have an open thread for the season opener?  I really enjoyed last season's open threads, and was sort of hoping we'd be able to try it for significant episodes this season, too.

I don't remember where we first started discussing an open thread for some episodes last season, so I'm posting it here--if it's the wrong place, I apologize in advance.

Are we going to have an open thread for the season opener?  I really enjoyed last season's open threads, and was sort of hoping we'd be able to try it for significant episodes this season, too.

Last time, I just PM'd the mods. They can set up a thread that is locked until the episode airs.

• Love 1