Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

As a former fencer, I have to laugh at the idea of anyone who can just pick up a sword and suddenly be good at it. There's a lot of muscle involved, even with something as light as a foil. Just stand in a half crouch holding your arm out in front of you for half an hour and see how you feel tomorrow. And it's something you have to keep up with, even if you learned it in the past. I probably have some muscle memory from the moves all those years ago, but I doubt I could just pick it up and go without pain. My legs might be okay because of all the ballet, but my arm would be killing me. That's why swordfighting is a good Mary Sue test. I couldn't believe it when Emma did it (why I can only deal with that if I believe that Hook deliberately threw the fight), and I won't believe it with Regina.

• Love 2

Riding requires a lot more arm and leg strength to control a horse that sword fighting does. Someone who rides every day, including jumping, has the necessary muscle strength for sword fighting.

20 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Learning sword-fighting quickly isn't exactly exclusive to Regina. Remember when Anna taught Charming in like 24 hours? 

While that was a silly way to introduce Charming to sword fighting, I'm more okay with him being skilled at it because he doesn't have magic. The non-magical people on this show already have such a disadvantage compared to the magical people who are more powerful than them, so it's kind of nice to see non-magical folk like Charming, Hook, Snow, and Robin utilizing skills like sword fighting and archery that the magical people don't seem to be as good at. If the magical people can also pick up a sword whenever they want and be just as good as the non-magical people who practiced those skills for years and rely on those skills as their only form of defense against magical villains, then it takes away those unique skills from the non-magical folk.

12 minutes ago, orza said:

Riding requires a lot more arm and leg strength to control a horse that sword fighting does. Someone who rides every day, including jumping, has the necessary muscle strength for sword fighting.

I think it's more about technique than anything. If Regina was stumbling over her feet learning to dance, are we supposed to accept that she's able to fence competently against this Musketeer-looking guy?

The above post was about muscle strength, not technique. I was responding to that.

They have shown that Rumple is good at archery and sword fighting. He's had 300 years to learn. A magical person could just give him or herself the necessary skills. I don't have a problem with that. These people come from a feudal society in which it has been shown that archery, sword fighting, riding, spinning, weaving, etc are skills that people need to survive (unlike dancing, which is a nice-to-have skill). The fact that most 21st century city folk do not possess these skills doesn't make it unbelievable that people in a fictitious magical world can learn these skills quickly. Besides, this is something we see all the time on TV and in film. People pick up a gun for the first time and fire it flawlessly. It's creative license and it is done all the time to move the story along.

(edited)

I wonder if the Regina/EQ swordfight could also be a dream, much like Emma's seemed to be. Perhaps Morpheus is sending multiple dream warnings? Regina could be scared of losing her magic.

If Regina has actually lost her magic, because it was fueled by hate & darkness, I predict that 6x05, the annual SQ-baiting ep, will feature Emma teaching Regina how to fuel magic with love & lightness. Get your tables ready!

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1

Didn't Regina suck at swordfighting during the Shattered Sight thing? Emma's fight with Hook was silly, but it did seem like Hook was playing with her and she wasn't using any technique. Emma was all about punching and kicking and less about the sword. She fought like I would have. I guess we'll just have to see, but I do wish they'd allow those who specialize to use their skills - like Snow in archery, Hook in swordfighting - rather than giving others (Emma included) these skills too. I'd rather see Emma fight dirty hand to hand like she did with Tamara or with a small knife than with sudden unbelivable competence with a sword. Having a character lose their power only to be awesomely proficient in self defense with some other weapon removes all the drama from the loss of power.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

Having a character lose their power only to be awesomely proficient in self defense with some other weapon removes all the drama from the loss of power.

Yes, thank you. I couldn't think of the words to say it succinctly.

Maybe Hook taught Emma. In that AU world I just assumed the scene where she was teaching Dorky Killian to at least look competent was her learning something from her boyfriend. But yeah making Emma and Regina competent especially when we saw Regina get her ass handed to her by Snow when she had a sword. Then again David learned how to sword fight after 24 hours so maybe it's this show.

Maybe in their abundant free time, in between crises, and the family time with Robin, Roland, and Henry, Regina focused on her swordsmanship, because she wasn't going to let herself lose like that again?  

I'd love to watch scenes of Snow teaching Emma or Henry how to use a bow or Hook teaching David how to sail his ship. Something fun. I mean even a show like Game Of Thrones has downtime with characters. But we can't do that now can we because we need these people to spend their days saving the town. I mean Buffy had to save the world and she still had time to go to prom and dance with Angel.

• Love 5
(edited)

Yeah, and it seems that Mary Sue Mills also learned how to command a ship in that time. I mean, it seems they are filming today at the JR but Colin is not going to be there.

Edited by RadioGirl27
(edited)

No, Colin's there, along with Emilie. I hope we get to see some Hook/Belle interaction; I really like their dynamic and wish there'd been more of it in S5.

Edited by Scovies
Because "alone" and "along" aren't the same thing.
20 minutes ago, Souris said:

Jolly Roger scene was Hook & Belle. Video of Colin & Emilie arriving for rehearsal. Pic of C&E.

Damn Colin is hot. Shallow comment aside, I suspect Belle woke up in episode 1. EdR was filming with Rumple and Morpheus, no? Rumple likely made a deal to get her out of the Curse. 

I think we're going to suspect every scene to be a dream from now on. lol

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

EdR was filming with Rumple and Morpheus, no? Rumple likely made a deal to get her out of the Curse.

Is it bad that I really wouldn't mind if Morpheus was the one to wake Belle with a TLK?

28 minutes ago, Curio said:

Is it bad that I really wouldn't mind if Morpheus was the one to wake Belle with a TLK?

Not at all. Or even Grumpy or Granny. They've probably spoken to Belle more when she was conscious than Rumple lately.

(edited)

Nobody has yet mentioned that Cinderella is coming back?

She supposedly has a couple of connections to the Land of Untold Stories that will be revealed, and we'll also learn how she and Snow became BFFs.  Now, if they could just also use her to clue us in on the current status of her stepsister Anastasia and her brother-in-law Will Scarlett -- you know, that storyline that was supposed to happen two seasons ago, before Adam and Eddie (or, to borrow a phrase from Regina, "those two idiots") got distracted with their shiny Frozen toys?

Or at least fill us in on what happened to Thomas during that fateful night in the Enchanted Forest when Rumple was captured and Thomas somehow disappeared.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Is it me or do these spoilers make little sense? There's got to be some crazy Morpheus dreaming going on. Are they still filming 6x01?

They make no sense at all, but that is nothing new. And the episodes will make little sense too.

8 hours ago, Souris said:

Hook & Belle filmed a fight scene? Um, what? I can only conclude it's some sort of dream. Is she still in a box under a sleeping curse?

Katmtan says it's not a fight scene, but who knows. What I find really weird (or stupid) is to book the Lady Washington for 3 days and just use it for a short scene like that.

4 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

WTH

That updo is terrible. 

LOL!!! That's terrible!!!!

Edited by RadioGirl27
(edited)
6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

It's kind of difficult to get excited about her return when you know there's a good chance they aren't bringing in Michael Socha or Emma Rigby to tie up those loose ends. Cinderella's appearance will probably amount to some quick cameo like the one Aurora got when she complained about the demon TV box. I'm also guessing her appearance to "tie up the loose ends" will go about as smoothly as A&E's attempt to convince the audience they tied up the "loose ends" of Milah and Aunt Em being freed from the River of Lost Souls.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Souris said:

Lana looking like a reject from the cast of Hairspray. That wig is laughably bad!

Is she getting into character by praying? I know the EQ is inspired by Sarah Palin, but that seems overkill.

8 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

She supposedly has a couple of connections to the Land of Untold Stories that will be revealed, and we'll also learn how she and Snow became BFFs.  Now, if they could just also use her to clue us in on the current status of her stepsister Anastasia and her brother-in-law Will Scarlett -- you know, that storyline that was supposed to happen two seasons ago, before Adam and Eddie (or, to borrow a phrase from Regina, "those two idiots") got distracted with their shiny Frozen toys?

Or at least fill us in on what happened to Thomas during that fateful night in the Enchanted Forest when Rumple was captured and Thomas somehow disappeared.

Lol, that whole plotline is an untold story in itself. Honestly, they didn't need to bring a slew of new characters for this untold stories business. They could easily have filled the entire season with it just using the characters they never bothered to finish up with the first time around. 

• Love 5

So will there actually be an in-show reason for why Regina cuts her hair shorter, or is it going to be unexplained and just an excuse to better differentiate Regina from Regina? Personally, I'm glad the hair is shorter because it ages her look up a bit

4 minutes ago, Curio said:

So will there actually be an in-show reason for why Regina cuts her hair shorter, or is it going to be unexplained and just an excuse to better differentiate Regina from Regina?

The first Untold Story they have to deal with is the Barber of Seville, and he gives both Regina and Hook trims in gratitude for their help. We just haven't seen spoilers or photos for these scenes because they were filmed in the studio. (Hey, it could happen!)

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

The first Untold Story they have to deal with is the Barber of Seville, and he gives both Regina and Hook trims in gratitude for their help. We just haven't seen spoilers or photos for these scenes because they were filmed in the studio. (Hey, it could happen!)

I actually want to see cameos of obscure characters like this. I'm sure A&E have been wanting to do stuff like this since Frankenstein, but they needed the proper platform to compensate for the lack of western recognition.

(edited)
29 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I guess the Count of MC is the one who arrives by steampunk ship then? 

Ooh! Good point! Did he get another of those rare magic beans? Is there someone he's looking for in Sb? Or did Rumple recruit him to bring himself and Belle back to Sb? 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1

I can't get excited about Cinderella's reappearance.  I don't really care what great friend she and Snow were because she's not important to the current story.  I'm also tired of Snow flashbacks, how about a scene with her daughter in the present day instead? 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Ooh! Good point! Did he get another of those rare magic beans? Is there someone he's looking for in Sb? Or did Rumple recruit him to bring himself and Belle back to Sb? 

I'm thinking that he was probably in his ship when Hyde brought everyone over to Storybrooke and he just crashed in the woods. You know, people are minding their own business and someone else takes a decision for them because that's how it is.

• Love 2
(edited)

I wish I could be excited about The Count, but I have a feeling most of these Untold Story characters are going to be quick one-offs like Rapunzel. It's hard to grow attached to a character who only sticks around for a few minutes. 

I'm confused about the Sinbad stuff now. TVLine was making it seem like the Sinbad casting call was a decoy and that the real casting call was actually for Aladdin, but now that they've cast The Count of Monte Cristo (who also went by the alias Sinbad the Sailor), maybe the name "Sinbad" is kind of like Dread Pirate Roberts. Perhaps many sailors in OUAT lore have taken the alias Sinbad over the years, including Edmond Dantès, Aladdin, and even Killian Jones for a time. Damn it, I have to stop building my expectations too high...

14 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

I'm also tired of Snow flashbacks, how about a scene with her daughter in the present day instead? 

Sorry, did you mean Regina? One Regina/Snow bonding scene, coming right up!

Edited by Curio
  • Love 3

Wow, that Evil Queen stand in looks much more scary then LP as the Queen. And if this which has to their last season...they go totally over the top and embrace its campy stupid heart...I would be good with it. Just don't try to be serious and write crap cause it doesnt work.  A Drag Queen Queen, and S/M Hyde, this steam punk stupidity mixed in with Aladdin.??? Sounds kind of great!

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, TranDinhGiaBao said:

It's great that the writers are trying to get the old characters involved. 

But it's also kind of pathetic they neglect their old characters so much that they're considered "Untold Stories." But I'll give them a cookie for at least making the effort to tie up some loose ends.

It's incredibly convenient that literally the one day Regina Mills decides she doesn't want to wear high heels, she just happens to find herself fencing against The Count of Monte Cristo. It would have been much more realistic for Regina to start out the fight in high heels and totally sucking, and then finishing it barefoot. Actually, it would have been much more realistic for Regina to not have the skills to go toe-to-toe in a fencing duel against The Count in the first place...but oh well. Just once on this show, I'd like a skilled swordsman to quickly disarm a newbie sword fighter in 2 seconds.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'd like a skilled swordsman to quickly disarm a newbie sword fighter in 2 seconds.

That kind of happened with Hook in the AU and Anna with Charming.

It's great that the writers are trying to get the old characters involved. Jiminy and Cinderella. Wonder who's next.

Yeah, I just haven't been impressed with returning characters in the past. See: Maleficent and August in 4B, Mulan and Red.

6x03 title: The Other Shoe

Perhaps Cinderella left the other glass slipper at her cottage and either Lady Tremaine or Drizella looked at it as a reminder of sorts. "I wish my other daughter could land someone royal", or "I wish could find a happy ending like my step-sister."

Edited by KingOfHearts

With the episode title for ep. 3 released, and it sounds like it will be Cinderella's, it seems they are really taking a step back to the more individual, stand alone structure of season 1.  I'm not sure if this is really what people mean when they talk about a return to Season 1.  The problem I see is that Season 1 had the individual episode arcs, running on top of the season long arcs of Emma accepting the truth and the curse being broken.  So, it was a layered storytelling structure that largely focused on developing the main characters and fleshing out backstory concurrently to moving the arc forward.  Since Season 3, we have had these two season story arcs that developed guest stars and guest story arcs, while not moving the main characters along their own arcs in any way that was logical or maintained consistency from half season to half season.  My fear is that the show has interpreted the 'we liked season 1' feedback to mean 'we liked stand alone single episodes' which imo, when not focused on a main cast member, were some of the weaker writing on the show - Dreamy, Hansel & Gretel, etc.  What I mean when I say I liked season 1 was I liked finding out about our core cast and watching them move through the main arc which developed and refined the characters.  I don't have a burning desire to watch a season of wrapping up loose ends (Lily, ugh) or watching single episodes that ultimately do not deepen my knowledge and understanding of the main characters, or worse, completely conflict with information I had about the core characters previously.  I have a mild curiosity about what happened to Cinderella's prince, but I don't lie awake at night wondering about it.  Is this the A&E response to all the unanswered questions on Lost?

Trying to be hopeful!

• Love 3

The title once again can just mean about anything. The other shoe. Is it the other glass slipper? Is it waiting for the other shoe to drop? 

Bex posted a picture of herself (dressed in her WW hat) and Lana dressed as the EQ. Lana's costume is the one she was wearing in the finale, so it seems that this was either for episode 6x01 or an old picture taken during the finale. I've been wondering where Zelena is. Zelena has not been around Steveston all the times they've filmed there. Is she confined to the house taking care of the baby?

1 hour ago, KingOfHearts said:

That kind of happened with Hook in the AU and Anna with Charming.

Yeah, but at least they admitted they were terrible sword fighters to begin with. I'm talking about people like Emma and Regina who think they're skilled enough to just randomly pick up a sword and last several minutes against people who've been trained for years.

42 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

The title once again can just mean about anything. The other shoe. Is it the other glass slipper? Is it waiting for the other shoe to drop? 

I'm guessing it's a combination of all that, and probably a life lesson about walking a mile in someone else's shoes.

Yeah, but at least they admitted they were terrible sword fighters to begin with. I'm talking about people like Emma and Regina who think they're skilled enough to just randomly pick up a sword and last several minutes against people who've been trained for years.

It's the wish that Mary Sue types get knocked down a peg and actually fail at something. I think we will have it.