Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

(edited)
On the other hand, I'd kind of love to see an evil doesn't-give-a-f Emma finally call all the other characters out on their bullshit -- especially her parents and Regina.

In theory, I also would find Emma delivering some home truths to all the jerks in her life utterly refreshing. But, the thing is that the writers are then painting Emma as being evil just for having negative responses to everything that has happened to her. The writers can blame the effects of being The Dark One for Emma lashing out and bringing up all of the issues that have festered between Emma and her parents, and for Emma suddenly bringing up all the horrible things that Regina has done and yet up to now completely ignored. In a twisted way, the writers are saying that Emma having any sort of negative feelings about anyone is evil, even if it's against people who have wronged her time after time.

To me, Emma becoming the Dark One and the Big Bad for season 5 is a disturbing and upsetting turn of events. Negative emotions and feelings of hurt and betrayal aren't evil. They are just emotions. It's how we act upon them that makes us what we are. By only allowing Emma to feel and react to all the hurt when she's "The Dark One" the writers are implying that feeling hurt is bad. And since Emma will be living under the influence of The Dark One's Curse, all those negative emotions and the legitimate gripes that she has with the people in her life will be totally ignored and blamed completely on being The Dark One. That's maddening and gross. Emma should be allowed to be angry without the writers turning her into The Dark One.

And oh, let's not forget that if the writers are making Emma the Dark One, surely they will not be able to resist making Regina The Savior....I just vomited a little bit.

UGH. I realize it's still speculation at this point, but this turn of events might actually be what kills this show for good.

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 6
I can't decide whether I think they're stressed and worried about how 4B is going, or they honestly think everything is hunky-dory with the show. In any case, panicky decisions never result in anything good.

I don't think making Emma bad is a panicky decision, I think it's something that they've always planned on doing.  It also seems to me that next season might very well be the last one.  Where do you go after your main hero has gone bad and has come back from that and the dark one's cruse has finally been broken?

I think A&E are extremely stubborn and think they're right.  They're amazed by what they put out and they love patting themselves on the back.  The show lost half he viewers since 401.  I'd find that alarming if I were them.

ETA - So according to Josh, what would send David over the edge is if anything happened to Snow.  If something happens to Snow, David would be pushed over that line, but to his children, nothing?  Really?

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2

But how bad can they make Emma really? No one wants to watch a woman terrorize her family and friends. And how could she even come back from that? Emma actually demonstrates guilt and upset at her actions when she hurts others. I'm not here for Evil!Emma either. If Emma is the big bad, I'm out.

Also, S5 has not been written, so it's hard to say how Emma as the Dark One would actually play out. At the same time, Emma has True Love with her son, so why couldn't that end the curse? Why couldn't she just leave town where the Dark One's magic does not work? None of it makes any sense and again makes me want out. They do have the option of seeing the reaction to the storyline as it has played out before writing for S5, so there is an option to change course.

Edited by KAOS Agent

And oh, let's not forget that if the writers are making Emma the Dark One, surely they will not be able to resist making Regina The Savior....I just vomited a little bit.

Yep. That's exactly what this setup means.

I don't think making Emma bad is a panicky decision, I think it's something that they've always planned on doing.  It also seems to me that next season might very well be the last one.  Where do you go after your main hero has gone bad and has come back from that and the dark one's cruse has finally been broken?

I think A&E are extremely stubborn and think they're right.  They're amazed by what they put out and they love patting themselves on the back.  The show lost half he viewers since 401.  I'd find that alarming if I were them.

I was referring to the idea of a panicky summer planning session. I'm sure Evil Emma was their plan. As is their "twist" of flipping her role with Regina and making Regina the ultimate savior.

(edited)
But how bad can they make Emma really? No one wants to watch a woman terrorize her family and friends. And how could she even come back from that? Emma actually demonstrates guilt and upset at her actions when she hurts others. I'm not here for Evil!Emma either. If Emma is the big bad, I'm out.

Same. I had become a lapsed viewer and only recently came back by watching snippets of episodes here or there depending on what I read here. But now? Well, I'm tempted to go cold turkey right now. Forget tonight's episode. I want to leave now while the Emma I love and adore is still intact, and that way I can live happily ignorant of whatever horrible thing these writers do to Emma and enjoy whatever well written fanfiction the good fic writers out on AO3, FFnet, and elsewhere are creating.

I don't care about The Author plot, I don't care about Regina's farcical quest to get a "happy ending" (that she remains wholly undeserving of), and I care even less about Operation Mongoose. I only tentatively remained in touch with the show to find out what became of Emma, but if that's what they are going to do to her? No. No more. "Do Not Want", indeed.

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 4

Lily seems to be looking for blood

So Lily mentioned wanting revenge on Emma's parents. Did she just believe right away that they're all from Fairy Tale Land, or did she know something this whole time? Or did Emma keep it vague enough that Lily just assumed they were responsible for her being separated from her mother?

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Are they going to retcon Lily having a terrible life because her father didn't seem like a bad guy in 4x05. I will roll my eyes if they make Lily's childhood awful because Snow(ing) made a terrible life choice. I really wish I could feel bad for either Lily or Mal but i don't.

I really wish I could feel bad for either Lily or Mal but i don't.

Yeah, me, too.

Mostly because it's so over the top ridiculous and out of character, that it doesn't register with me.  (Also, someone should have taken Maleficent's child away.  Like I said in another thread:  IF you have to step over the body parts of the people a woman killed, she's probably not someone who's supposed to have custody of a child.  She should be in prison, while someone else raises her child.)

• Love 1

Maleficent is just...why hasn't she left Storybrooke to go find her kid?  And I could give a fuck about Lily.  Her adoptive father wanted her.

If you think that decision was a pivotal one for Emma, nudging her as it did precisely in the direction Gold wants and needs her to go, you’d be quite right.

“The audience should be very, very concerned that Emma has irrevocably headed down a path” — and not one dappled with sunshine and flanked by singing bluebirds, series co-creator Adam Horowitz told TVLine as part of our May Sweeps Preview special.
“If you thought Emma was in danger of going dark from learning what her parents did [to Maleficent”s daughter Lily], now we have to deal with the danger based on her own actions,” Horowitz continues. To be clear: “Emma crossed a line.”

Yes, she crossed the line, but it was justified.  She didn't wake up in the morning deciding that today was the day she was going to kill someone.  A&E are so stupid.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 4

And I could give a fuck about Lily. Her adoptive father wanted her.

Yes, but she may have not appreciated it because she was LITERALLY incapable of doing so, not by her own choice but because SOMEONE decided to infuse her with THEIR baby's natural darkness.

See, THAT is why I give a fuck about Lily. She's the same as Emma: her moral agency was tampered with from the beginning by the idiot Charmings and Author-controlled Apprentice.

• Love 1

Emma killed Walsh, so hasn't she already crossed that line? This show is so stupid. I think I may actually be done right now.

She shoved Walsh off the roof than took a pipe at his flying monkey form.  I don't get the difference.

Actually I know what it is.  They needed to turn Emma dark and they did not know how to do it.

See, THAT is why I give a fuck about Lily. She's the same as Emma: her moral agency was tampered with from the beginning by the idiot Charmings and Author-controlled Apprentice.

I absolutely get that and yes, maybe the voodoo that was pulled on her made her that way towards her adoptive parents.  I'm tired of these ridiculous plot points, this is basically why I could give a fuck about Lily.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 4

The promo seems to imply a Harry/Voldy connection between Emma and Lily. I was clinging to the hope that the darkness switcheroo spell was a fakeout. No such luck I guess. This violates everything they have claimed in this show about Evil being born not made. IDEK. 

• Love 3

Apparently, evil and good are just like a genetic disorder now? You can have an ultrasound and check on your baby`s evil to good ratio? 

That TV.line article was awful. This is Emma crossing a line? What? 

The promo seems to imply a Harry/Voldy connection between Emma and Lily

So, neither can live while the other survives?

I'm very curious about Lily's role in the finale and by finale, I mean 422.

• Love 1

This violates everything they have claimed in this show about Evil being born not made. IDEK.

They kind of already violated that just now with Cruella being born evil and admitting it.

So, neither can live while the other survives?

I'm very curious about Lily's role in the finale and by finale, I mean 422.

Yeah--the Sorcerer (I guess) was spouting off about their fates being connected forever. Just what the show needed--Emma's life intertwined with someone we never heard of until this season. lol

• Love 6
Emma actually demonstrates guilt and upset at her actions when she hurts others. I'm not here for Evil!Emma either. If Emma is the big bad, I'm out.
One of my wishes for next season was an AU type of thing, and evil Emma could totally play into that. It also gives me Buffy the Vampire Slayer s2 when Angel became Angelus vibes. I am nervous because 4B has been such a clusterf*ck of bad writing, but I think Evil!Emma could be awesome, especially since the assumption is she goes evil due to her sacrifice with the Dark One's dagger.

Only on this show would doing something good like willingly sacrificing your own life to save the lives of others make you evil. Only on this god forsaken show. It's like if Jesus died on the cross and on the third day rose up as Satan.

This effing show.....

Edited by FabulousTater
  • Love 7

I am nervous because 4B has been such a clusterf*ck of bad writing

On the plus side, they have a pretty good history with the first half-seasons -- 3A and 4A both had better writing (and better plots) than their back halves. I think someone said something similar upthread, but it would be a good chance to de-clutter the show of so many characters and storylines -- especially after the insane bloat of villains and extra characters in 4B. 

I will also say, though: the 4B finale may set Emma up as dark for 5A, but that doesn't necessarily mean she will end up being the half-season-long Big Bad. They don't generally seem to tell the actors much of what is coming up ahead, so I'm not sure Josh Dallas would necessarily know much beyond where they have in the finale. The last part of 3B showed us Elsa, not DQ.

• Love 1

I will also say, though: the 4B finale may set Emma up as dark for 5A, but that doesn't necessarily mean she will end up being the half-season-long Big Bad. They don't generally seem to tell the actors much of what is coming up ahead, so I'm not sure Josh Dallas would necessarily know much beyond where they have in the finale. The last part of 3B showed us Elsa, not DQ.

Yeah, I doubt Dallas knows that much about next season, because I doubt A&E know that much about next season. The plan right now is probably DarkEmma, but many things can change in the next three months. I'm just trying to be possitive, but if the ratings keep going down and there is some blacklash to DarkEmma or someone in ABC doesn't like it, I can see them changing it. It won't be the first time.

Edited by RadioGirl27

Or at least have ABC take some control over the storyline like they did for Frozen.

Someone brought up parallels to Anakin Skywalker in the episode thread, which got me thinking. A&E love Star Wars and the new movie, produced by Disney, is out at Christmas. Could they be pulling inspiration from that in 5A somehow?

• Love 1

ETA - So according to Josh, what would send David over the edge is if anything happened to Snow.  If something happens to Snow, David would be pushed over that line, but to his children, nothing?  Really?

I would say this is because of the whole shared heart thing, but if you go by that logic if anything happened to Snow he should be dead too...so that's not it. We have discussed this before, I believe more in terms of Snow than David, but that these two constantly make decisions with regard to only each other and not their children. (Not surprising though since apparently Snowing hasn't noticed BDO has been kidnapped or fallen into a portal or...seriously WTF is the baby--or mention of him--that Snow claimed to want so much more than Emma in the Echo Cave?)

Also, I may be missing something but A&E keep secrets from their actors to the extent that we have actually complained that the lack of knowledge hurt the way the characters were portrayed or acted (::cough cough Zarian::) and yet if the new "Big Bad" of 5A is Emma why are they going out of their way to make it the least.surprising.twist at this point? They have:

• the Oscar promo that when it aired there hadn't been a hint or clue that 4B would be the arc of "turning the savior dark"
  • every episode from 4B mentions potential for darkness or turning Emma dark
  • the potential huge finale spoiler that showed Emma with the dagger, which I think most people were surprised was filmed very openly without making much effort to hide what was happening.

I'm not even sure what I'm getting at I guess but it just seems weird that some of their twists are kept to Fort Knox-esque secrecy levels but they're just being so blatant with this one.

I would say this is because of the whole shared heart thing, but if you go by that logic if anything happened to Snow he should be dead too...so that's not it. We have discussed this before, I believe more in terms of Snow than David, but that these two constantly make decisions with regard to only each other and not their children. (Not surprising though since apparently Snowing hasn't noticed BDO has been kidnapped or fallen into a portal or...seriously WTF is the baby--or mention of him--that Snow claimed to want so much more than Emma in the Echo Cave?)

Also, I may be missing something but A&E keep secrets from their actors to the extent that we have actually complained that the lack of knowledge hurt the way the characters were portrayed or acted (::cough cough Zarian::) and yet if the new "Big Bad" of 5A is Emma why are they going out of their way to make it the least.surprising.twist at this point?...

I'm not even sure what I'm getting at I guess but it just seems weird that some of their twists are kept to Fort Knox-esque secrecy levels but they're just being so blatant with this one.

Do you think they're pulling a bait and switch? We're going to obsess on Emma going dark, and really it'll be someone else because of whatever happens in the season finale?

• Love 3

To be fair, Josh is also on hiatus with his wife Ginny, who plays Mary Margaret. I would think he either doesn't have Emma on his mind right now or he's trying to be vague to not be too spoilery and we got some mush instead.

Preparing the fans because they know it will be upsetting?

• Love 2

Of course Emma turning dark will be upsetting.  Hell the last 5 minutes and the narrative behind it was upsetting.  The thing is, they were going there and I saw something this morning about how Emma will be the last one to get her happy ending which considering everything sucks balls.  From where I'm sitting, she is the character who has suffered the most, who has lost the most, who has been traumatized the most.

They could have used a number of things to try and turn Emma dark.  Emma was always going to do what she had to do to protect Henry.  He's always been her trigger.  Given her reaction in the preview with Lily, seems like she knows how to push the right buttons.

ETA - There is absolutely no lead up to the next episode.  We know Regina wants to go find Robin and bring him back, but there's no lead in for Lily.  Does Maleficent find out that Emma and Regina are leaving town and is like oh btw, ladies, my daughter is in the world out there somewhere bring her back, thanks!

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2

TVLine May Sweeps Preview, Finale Spoilers

ONCE UPON A TIME
PRE-FINALE: The cold-blooded killing of Cruella, coupled with her riff with the 'rents, make for an ever-unseemly Savior. "The reverberations of Emma's dark action become the driving force for what happens in the next two episodes followed by the two-hour finale," says co-creator Adam Horowitz. "Emma has crossed a line." In the April 26 episode, "Lily," Emma reconnects with her child- hood friend (played by Agnes Bruckner), who viewers know is Maleficent's "lost" daughter. That reunion, however, "is not all deathly conflict," Horowitz notes. "There are moments of warmth, and there are moments of bonding." "And there's a lot of emotion," adds Eddy Kitsis. "It's a real story of friendship." Also ahead: We'll get a clearer picture of what the Author can and cannot do (and who can or can't make him do it), while Barbara Hershey's encore as Cora sets the stage for learning more about Regina's past as well as "her present relationship with Robin," Kitsis says.
SEASON FINALE (MAY 10): Among Season 4B's ongoing agendas, "We make good on what Regina was after, in the sense that she wanted to find the Author and have him rewrite endings," Kitsis shares. But compared to recent finales, "Nobody is coming out of an urn and freezing people," quips Horowitz. Says Kitsis: "Usually we're like, 'Hey, we're going to a new land,' but this is much more in the vein of when Gold looked up [at the end of Season 1] and said, 'Magic is coming,' where a condition on the show changed as opposed to the characters changing."

I can't with this show anymore. There is absolutely nothing in this preview that interests me.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 4

Ok, so they're bringing Cora from the dead for a rehash #20 million of Regina's younger years in order to do whatever with OQ.

You know, the only thing I can think of other than saying fuck you, show is that they most definitely painted themselves in a corner with OQ.  It's not working the way they wanted it to work, they're stuck because of fairy dust and now they need all the help they can get to make it "work".

This whole stupid Operation Mongoose is about OQ and it basically fucks up everyone's lives so that Regina can have her chew toy.

Thanks!

• Love 6

Press release:

Once Upon a Time: Lily (4/26)

CAN IT BE THEIR PARENTS’ ACTIONS THAT FOREVER ENTWINED EMMA’S AND LILY’S FATES? ON ABC’S “ONCE UPON A TIME”

“Lily” – Emma’s potential for darkness is looming over everyone, but when Emma realizes Maleficent’s daughter Lily is in fact her closest friend from her foster care days, she resolves to find Lily and reunite her with her mother. Regina joins forces with Emma and together they set out to track down Lily and to warn Robin about Zelena. However, neither of them is prepared for the harsh realities they’ll encounter in the outside world. Meanwhile, in Storybrooke, Gold faces a crisis involving Belle. In a foster care flashback, things are looking up for young Emma with her new family until Lily’s appearance threatens to destabilize everything, on “Once Upon a Time,” SUNDAY, APRIL 26 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

“Once Upon a Time” stars Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White/Mary Margaret, Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan, Lana Parrilla as the Evil Queen/Regina, Josh Dallas as Prince Charming/David Nolan, Emilie de Ravin as Belle, Colin O’Donoghue as Hook, Jared S. Gilmore as Henry, Michael Socha as Will Scarlet and Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold.

Guest stars include Rebecca Mader as Zelena, Sean Maguire as Robin Hood, Christie Laing as Maid Marian, Timothy Webber as Apprentice, Abby Ross as Young Emma, Nicole Munoz as Young Lily, Agnes Bruckner as Lily, Patrick Fischler as Isaac, Kristin Bauer as Maleficent, Sidney Shapiro as Max, Parker Magnuson as Zach, Cameron Bancroft as Bill, Kendall Cross as Katie, Phil Granger as Landlord and Zoey Siewert as Brunette Girl.

“Lily” was written by Andrew Chambliss and Dana Horgan, and directed by Ralph Hemecker.

However, neither of them is prepared for the harsh realities they’ll encounter in the outside world.

What in the fuckery is this?

In a foster care flashback, things are looking up for young Emma with her new family

And this?

Edited by YaddaYadda

It's apparently not a popular opinion, but I don't care: Lily is the only character and aspect that I'm interested in for these last four episodes. The babynapping retcon has turned her into one of the few characters I can sympathize with right now, and I care more about seeing how she ends up than I do the OQ/Zelena/Rumple/Author/Operation Mongoose/Dark Emma crap.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 3
The cold-blooded killing of Cruella, coupled with her riff with the 'rents, make for an ever-unseemly Savior. "The reverberations of Emma's dark action become the driving force for what happens in the next two episodes followed by the two-hour finale," says co-creator Adam Horowitz. "Emma has crossed a line."

This is getting worse than the Cora/Dark Spot plot with Snow. Cold-blooded killing?? Dark action?? What planet do A&E live in??

“Lily” – Emma’s potential for darkness is looming over everyone, but when Emma realizes Maleficent’s daughter Lily is in fact her closest friend from her foster care days, she resolves to find Lily and reunite her with her mother.

I can't buy this epic 2 day-friendship between Lily and Emma. They're overselling it for the sake of drama. All froth and no substance.

Barbara Hershey's encore as Cora sets the stage for learning more about Regina's past as well as "her present relationship with Robin," Kitsis says.

Good god. Haven't we seen more than enough of Regina's past? What next? A flashback to Regina flossing her teeth? 

• Love 7

I can't buy this epic 2 day-friendship between Lily and Emma. They're overselling it for the sake of drama. All froth and no substance.

But Emma didn't really have ANY other friends. A 2-day friendship may have been the most she ever got so it makes sense that she herself would oversell. At the moment I have a hard time buying that Lily would share the sentiment, but I guess we'll see. At the very least, a rekindling of Emma and Lily's friendship would be more welcome than the Emma-Regina friendship.

• Love 2

I will try not to be despondent over DarkEmma! as my consolation is that I think JMo will act the fuck out of it.  So hopefully that will be fun for her.

And even though I know it will be Regina that saves her, I am going to take some tiny hope that they actually let Hook try and speak to Emma about her parents and being angry last episode.  It was a nice character moment.  Maybe they will let that writer do some more CS stuff during the DarkEmma period.  I knwo, I know TS:TW but I guess I feel I have too much sunk cost at this point.

Promo pics from Lily here

"Usually we're like, 'Hey, we're going to a new land,' but this is much more in the vein of when Gold looked up [at the end of Season 1] and said, 'Magic is coming,' where a condition on the show changed as opposed to the characters changing."

I've been thinking about what condition on the show can change without the characters changing, and something I would like to see it's a storyline where the outside world discovers Storybrooke and the kind of people that live there. It's probably not going to happen, but I would prefer that to the Emma is the new villain nonsense.

Edited by RadioGirl27

Episode stills are up

I am looking forward to the Emma/Regina road trip, actually. Besides the horrendous baiting to come, I'd still like to see Regina deal with the real world. Lily might be an interesting character, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

I've been thinking about what condition on the show can change without the characters changing, and something I would like to see it's a storyline where the outside world discovers Storybrooke and the kind of people that live there. It's probably not going to happen, but I would prefer that to the Emma is the new villain nonsense.

All that happens while Emma's gone... then she comes back as a villain in front of all the tourists.

Press release for Lily:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/04/once-upon-time-episode-419-lily-press.html

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
Besides the horrendous baiting to come,

Doubtful.  It's not that Nimerfo who is writing.  Chambliss and Horgan are writing and their last outing was Poor Unfortunate Soul which was an overall good episode.  I personally don't see the baiting, but I also think it depends who is writing.  Besides, what is there to bait?  Regina wants to find Robin who is with her sister and Emma wants to find Lily by whom she apparently gets punched in the face.

When I used to do the whole road trips with the girls, we used to talk about boys or the boyfriends or shoes and clothes.  Shallow, I know.  

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2