Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: Device Free Day

• Start Topic

I wonder if they are also going to rent the beach house by the week when they aren't there.  Since it was being sold furnished (if that part was accurate) then quite possibly it had already been a rental.  That would cover a lot of the mortgage payments. 

Jen being ok with someone else's dirt!!!  In her words "THAT'S NOT OKAAAAYYYY!!!"  

I would hope when we find out it is another home it will become a place for anyone in the Klein or Arnold family to go and vacation with or without Jen and Bill being there you know like a family cottage or cabin.  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

Jen said that she liked that beach because it's quiet and peaceful. I guess if the beach was in my back yard, I would want quiet and peaceful too, but I think a beach that has more people is more festive and fun. Every time they are at that beach, it looks empty. I wonder if they go off alone for filming purposes.

You are right, every time they have filmed there there haven't been many people around but those days also were cloudy and windy so I thought it might be weather but it might be shut down for filming.

I lived in Pensacola Beach when I was growing up and loved living there but my parents had their challenges.  For my mother the house was full of sand all the time not just from being tracked in but the wind carries the sand into the house through the windows.  The outside windows were always salt stained and cloudy looking and hard to clean and my father was washing the car constantly to get the salt off and back in the day the wheels would rust big time!  It was not what they expected when we moved there.

But my brother and I loved it!  We loved playing pirates in the dunes, the beach, swimming, the whole nine yards.  

Not sure how cost effective a beach house buy would be for the entire family as it is only Jen who loves the beach.  Zoey is fine wherever she goes.  I am sure they have bought the house as I think I must have counted Jen say "Zoey loves the beach like her Mom!" over a half a dozen times in that segment.

"I heard ya the furhst time little lady, I say I heard ya the firhst time, no need to keep rustling ya feathers 'bout it!"

• Love 1

I enjoyed the show.  I enjoy watching the kids, I'm not so much interested in Jen and Bill, although I wish them the best.  I hope Bill's back gets fixed and that he won't be in anymore pain.

Loved the kids and their adorable personalities.

Zoey is too cute.  Loved her hate/love relationship with all winged animals.

Will is why I started watching the show and I just love him.  Him trying to kill the bugs outside had me cracking up.

Loved his fishing sequence:

Baba bite on it

Baba help

Thank you baba

I would hope when we find out it is another home it will become a place for anyone in the Klein or Arnold family to go and vacation with or without Jen and Bill being there you know like a family cottage or cabin.

Why? I mean, I freely admit this is a personal tick of mine. I earn the money, I get myself a treat, and everyone in my family immediately has their grabby paws on it. If I buy a beach house, its mine and I am not obligated to make it a *family* home where *anyone* can use it if they share some DNA with me, and if I say anything other than "my house is your house", I'm somehow a selfish bitch.

There's nothing wrong with the "family" cottage but I dislike the notion that its obligatory, that you can't have something for yourself without having to be labeled a selfish family hater. While I don't necessarily like that they are earning the money by selling out the kids, I don't think they're *required* to treat the extended family to access to a new beach house simply because.

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 12

Why? I mean, I freely admit this is a personal tick of mine. I earn the money, I get myself a treat, and everyone in my family immediately has their grabby paws on it. If I buy a beach house, its mine and I am not obligated to make it a *family* home where *anyone* can use it if they share some DNA with me, and if I say anything other than "my house is your house", I'm somehow a selfish bitch.

There's nothing wrong with the "family" cottage but I dislike the notion that its obligatory, that you can't have something for yourself without having to be labeled a selfish family hater. While I don't necessarily like that they are earning the money by whoring out the kids, I don't think they're *required* to treat the extended family to access to a new beach house simply because.

I'm so glad you said this, ZoloftBlob (and no, you are not a selfish bitch).  I moved from Canada to Hawaii for a few years, and was astonished by how many friends and relatives crawled out of the woodwork and thought my home was their new vacation destination.  It's nice Bill and Jen are close to their families, but they have full lives and a family of their own to consider.  I don't care if they buy a house on the beach or in Timbuktu.  It's their life and their decision to make, and they've earned every right to do so.

• Love 6

I'm so glad you said this, ZoloftBlob (and no, you are not a selfish bitch).  I moved from Canada to Hawaii for a few years, and was astonished by how many friends and relatives crawled out of the woodwork and thought my home was their new vacation destination.  It's nice Bill and Jen are close to their families, but they have full lives and a family of their own to consider.  I don't care if they buy a house on the beach or in Timbuktu.  It's their life and their decision to make, and they've earned every right to do so.

While I agree with you somewhat because I had a 2nd house in a mountain resort and people loved to come for my "bed and breakfast" every fricking weekend by arriving on Friday at all hours of the night. A family 2nd home for them would probably mean her parents and all the other people who help them out much more then we probably see. I'd bet Jen is rarely alone with the kids and Bill's ability to be a kid wrangler has been compromised by his back. They couldn't even keep Bill's bigish dog if I remember correctly and Will is now pretty big and a willful toddler. The Klines remind me of the Duggars in that if visiting you're probably working and helping out but its just not part of the story TLC chooses to show us for this family. 

While I agree with you somewhat because I had a 2nd house in a mountain resort and people loved to come for my "bed and breakfast" every fricking weekend by arriving on Friday at all hours of the night. A family 2nd home for them would probably mean her parents and all the other people who help them out much more then we probably see. I'd bet Jen is rarely alone with the kids and Bill's ability to be a kid wrangler has been compromised by his back. They couldn't even keep Bill's bigish dog if I remember correctly and Will is now pretty big and a willful toddler. The Klines remind me of the Duggars in that if visiting you're probably working and helping out but its just not part of the story TLC chooses to show us for this family. 

We had a family cottage and would go up every weekend only to find the bed I thought was "mine" was already taken by another family member!  LOL  Oh well I do love my family just like the AK's say how much they love theirs!

They do get a lot of help and support from their family or at least the ones who live close.  And a lot of them are on the show and in the talking heads.  

On Dr Oz yesterday it was Dave and Judy who brought the kids out.  The A-K's have not been able earn the money and fame without the help of their family whether at home or on the road.  They shared the work so share the perk!  LOL  

Mi casa est su casa!  

• Love 1

This is incredibly true.  I grew up in a cottage alongside a lake in the Northeast and as long as the weather was nice, we had company every single Summer weekend "whether we wanted to or not..." as my mother often said years later. And the company was frequently people who never bothered with us at any other time of year, which of course ticked off my parents even more.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 4

I laughed when Bill said he would take sex as payment for the Cabana Boy & Jen replied " Oh, you re that kind of Cabana Boy."

That was perfect :)

I never would begrudge anyone on how they would spend hard earned money...................BUT..................  I just don't understand why seeing as they are little people they wouldn't want at least their vacation home to be small.  Seems to me that they'd want to keep their kids nearby as long as possible, if nothing else for coziness sake.   A little family could lose each other in that monstrosity.  

Hell, mr jnymph and I are average size people (no kids, only 1 large dog) but I didn't want anything over 1100 square feet.  Seems like such a waste to have anything bigger.    I dunno, different strokes, yada yada

• Love 3

When the realtor "wandered" up to Jenn and Zoe on the beach and said the house was new and would be on the market, I kinda laughed in my head because I was thinking "yeah, it's new because it probably had to be rebuilt after hurricane Ike" I'm fine with a second house... But it just seems like a throwaway when it's literally on the beach and could be destroyed the next time there is a big hurricane, which happens every 10 years or so.

For what it's worth, with all the insurance talk upthread, I worked for TCH and if Jenn is insured through them she has bc/bs. There are so many plans and possibilities that we could speculate all day about who pays for what, but there is no definite way to know. I don't think the medical treatments were comped, maybe with the exception of the fertility treatments. At the end of the day the are 2 adults with 3 well paying jobs, even Jenn alone with her job she actually holds a couple different positions (neonatologist, sim coordinator), so I'm sure they can afford the new house, I just personally don't think its a wise investment.

• Love 2

Somewhat of a technicality, but I don't think we should be referring to WIll as a toddler any longer.  He might be "toddler-size" because of his dwarfism but he's not a toddler.  Toddlers are considered to be very young children - between the ages of one and three - who are just learning to walk.  Still getting their "sea legs" as it were, and a little wobbly.  Will will be 5 in a few months and is quite a ways past his "learning to walk" days.

Edited by NausetGirl

Even Zoey isn't really a toddler any more.  She's been walking since we first saw her. 

Zoey just turned three. In September or October, right? So age-wise "toddler" is still OK in her case. Not to mention that she still has a fair amount of adorably-wobbly "toddler moments."

We'll have to go our separate ways on that one.  Toddlers are truly usually 9 to 18 months old.  The use of the word has expanded so far beyond it's meaning that we now have 5T clothes in stores.  I think any "toddles" we see from Zoey are due to dwarfism. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1

We'll have to go our separate ways on that one.  Toddlers are truly usually 9 to 18 months old.  The use of the word has expanded so far beyond it's meaning that we now have 5T clothes in stores.  I think any "toddles" we see from Zoey are due to dwarfism. 

I got my data from Wikipedia but the more I think about it, classifying toddlers as from 1 to 3 years old does seem off.  People these days do seem to think of toddlers as any pre-school child older than a year.  But 9-18 months, or even 9 months to 2 years, seems much more correct.

Mirriam-Webster says it's a young child just learning to walk.  My human development text describes it as a developmental stage that ends when steady walking begins.  I think it's misuse is part of fuzzy language. 

• Love 1

Jen wanted a beach house. She said it while sitting on Santa's (her Dad's) lap last year. I have learned as I have watched this show through the years, when Jen wants something, wheather Bill agrees or not, he will cave.

Sorry, no sympathy or concern from me on this one. Bill's a grown ass man. If Bill can't say no to his wife, even over things he strongly dislikes or doesn't want, that's all on Bill.

Jen is also the major wage earner in this pairing and no, I don't think she's getting paid by a hospital to do nothing, so yes, when someone pulls in the lion's share of the money with their job, they do get some say in how it's spent. If Jen were the man, and Bill the woman, I doubt very much that a man in this position would be judged as harshly, or chided for it.

I also don't see Bill complaining that he's sacrificing so that Jen can be indulged. Until he does complain, I have to assume he's in agreement with Jen.

Will does not like the beach, it appears that Bill doesn't love it either. As much as Jen says that Zoey "loves the beach", who knows what Zoey likes.

So since neither child can articulate what they want or like, their parents can't make any decisions at all? Will and Zoey are the only decision makers and the only ones who matter and if Will doesn't like it, then no beach for anyone in the family ever?

• Love 13

I fail to see why a professional who earns her way is somehow considered a shrew if she "gets what she wants", while a businessman doing the exact same thing would be lauded for providing a comfy life for his family.  Nobody's dissing Bill for dragging Will onto a hot dock to watch him catch and molest a fish, but Jen is somehow exerting her selfish will onto Zoey for a beach outing? 

I must have been the WorstestAuntieEver, because I dragged my nieces to ALL the places I liked - even the beach.  Nobody suggested I was a selfish beyotch for sharing my passions with them (they wouldn't DARE!), and the girls were indulged in activities they wanted, when they articulated that want.  But mostly, they adored spending time with me doing things we ALL enjoyed.  They are well rounded and totally sane young ladies now, so apparently the trauma I exposed them to didn't take.  :-D

ETA:  ZoloftBlob beat me to the punch, as usual, and more articulately, of course.  :-)

• Love 12

Sorry, no sympathy or concern from me on this one. Bill's a grown ass man. If Bill can't say no to his wife, even over things he strongly dislikes or doesn't want, that's all on Bill.

Jen is also the major wage earner in this pairing and no, I don't think she's getting paid by a hospital to do nothing, so yes, when someone pulls in the lion's share of the money with their job, they do get some say in how it's spent. If Jen were the man, and Bill the woman, I doubt very much that a man in this position would be judged as harshly, or chided for it.

I also don't see Bill complaining that he's sacrificing so that Jen can be indulged. Until he does complain, I have to assume he's in agreement with Jen.

So since neither child can articulate what they want or like, their parents can't make any decisions at all? Will and Zoey are the only decision makers and the only ones who matter and if Will doesn't like it, then no beach for anyone in the family ever?

Agree. I don't think Bill would just go along with Jen - on anything this serious and/or expensive - if he was truly against it.  I don't see him as a pushover at all when it comes to Jen. The kids are another matter - LOL. You'll notice they are not driving a minivan - something he was loudly opposed to getting. I think he caves when he really doesn't care that much either way - and that's smart in my book.

They did not show it for long, but did you see how beautiful Jen's office was at the hospital?

I didn't see it but have no doubt it was beautiful... Jen has exquisite taste.

• Love 5

Somewhat of a technicality, but I don't think we should be referring to WIll as a toddler any longer.  He might be "toddler-size" because of his dwarfism but he's not a toddler.  Toddlers are considered to be very young children - between the ages of one and three - who are just learning to walk.  Still getting their "sea legs" as it were, and a little wobbly.  Will will be 5 in a few months and is quite a ways past his "learning to walk" days.

Ha! and I agree with you. Not being a kid person I couldn't come up with another term other than pre-k and that didn't seem right either.

I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I'm going to post on something few of you likely have experience with, but I do.

They really overdid the drama with the chemo port flush and blood draw.  I have a chemo port, and it gets flushed.  BFD.  It doesn't hurt,!!!  The whole point of having a chemo port is that it doesn't hurt--much easier than having to poke a vein.!

The doctor doesn't usually do it, a nurse does it.  She doesn't wear a mask. You don't undress and wear a gown. You don't lie down in a hospital bed, you just sit in a chair.  And oh, a little blood comes out and they waved a big needle in the air--oooooh, scary!   And Bill is praying at her side saying "I don't know how she does it."  Pleeze.  He has had dozens of surgeries.  He's been a human pincushion.

Now if Jen was undressing for a pelvic exam at the same visit (very likely), that's different.  And yes, especially when you're waiting for test results, that can be scary--but she'd be waiting about two days at least.

Chemo makes you feel like crap.  Surgery is tough.  But the actual drawing of blood is a nonevent.  No different from any of you having an ordinary blood test with blood drawn from your arm.  I was really sympathetic all along with the cancer story, but this seemed silly.  They needed drama for a boring episode, so they created drama out of a blood draw. 

And yes, that phony real estate sale encounter was ridiculous. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 4

I think everyone's port experience is different. My dad's port removal was done by his oncologist, and he found it very painful. They gave him an injection of pain meds to help and he was laying down. My dad did not have a lot of fat left around his chest area. I was there. It was a more difficult than anticipated.

It does not always go smoothly and when it doesn't, it hurts.

I am glad yours went well. I hope you are ok now!

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 3

I think everyone's port experience is different. My dad's port removal was done by his oncologist, and he found it very painful. They gave him an injection of pain meds to help and he was laying down. My dad did not have a lot of fat left around his chest area. I was there. It was a more difficult than anticipated.

It does not always go smoothly and when it doesn't, it hurts.

I am glad yours went well. I hope you are ok now!

Never mind, repeat of what someone else said.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1

The network is creating drama where there is none and boy we are sure seeing more and more of it as the whole cuteness factor of adding the kids is waning.  

GussieK you nailed it!!  But especially the part about Bill and he didn't learn his lesson but once again compared her to having the strength of a Navy Seal and praying at her bedside!  And the Emmy goes to ?  

Does product placement mean any product whose logo is shown or talked about?  I am thinking some of them were:

BABA Tee Shirt, from their new store

Slap Ya Mama, seasoning spice for fish

M&M's 

Bottled water?

Bruce Realtor

The ABC app ?

So if they were used or talked about on the show, does that mean they have paid the network for this?

Generally it's product placement if they visit a store, hotel, theme park and the camera shows you the venue's name.  The app was so overdone with repeating it over and over.  The seasoning was also over the top I thought.

• Love 2

I hope Bill and Jen get their beach house, I think they will really enjoy it.  If you can spend money it keeps the economy going!  For every car they buy, or house they remodel, construction workers, automakers, truckers, insurance people, landscapers, and on and on make money because someone bought something that helps support the people who made it happen.  Good for them!

I notice that most complaints about Bill and Jen have more to do with our own views about how they handle medical procedures, child rearing, marriage, or spending their money etc.  That's more about our views and how we handle our situations, than what Bill and Jen are doing wrong.  They handle their situations just fine for them and seem to get great results.  Good for them!

• Love 14

I hope Bill and Jen get their beach house, I think they will really enjoy it.  If you can spend money it keeps the economy going!  For every car they buy, or house they remodel, construction workers, automakers, truckers, insurance people, landscapers, and on and on make money because someone bought something that helps support the people who made it happen.  Good for them!

I notice that most complaints about Bill and Jen have more to do with our own views about how they handle medical procedures, child rearing, marriage, or spending their money etc.  That's more about our views and how we handle our situations, than what Bill and Jen are doing wrong.  They handle their situations just fine for them and seem to get great results.  Good for them!

I love your post. Yes, spending money keeps the economy going. They have the money, it's not like we're watching "Living Beyond Your Means".... lol.

Wanted to like your post twice. :-)

• Love 3

Generally it's product placement if they visit a store, hotel, theme park and the camera shows you the venue's name.  The app was so overdone with repeating it over and over.  The seasoning was also over the top I thought.

It reminded me of the vow renewal epi where they mentioned the name of the hotel a hundred thousand times.

• Love 2

I can remember back before they had the kids and the house them talking about how much debt they had from past surgeries--if I recall it was Bill's medical expenses at the time.   I hope the show has paid them enough to have taken care of that since they will have ongoing expenses.   

I think I've read how much the Honey Boo Boo people made as a family per episode, and for the size of the family it didn't seem like that much to me--so I kind of wonder how much they make.    Same with the Gosselins--their lifestyle improved dramatically from the little 3-bedroom house they started out in and the kids ended up with paid for college from the state of PA, plus trust funds, and Kate says the big house they have now is "the children's house" so I am assuming it is paid for by their earnings doing TV.

• Love 2

It has been reported that the Gosselins will receive $40,000 per episode for their upcoming 5 shows. Since The Little Couple is TL C's number one show, I would assume they are making at least the same amount as the Gosselins. That is unless, they are working under an old contract that was in place before they became so popular.

The Gosselins are coming back? Ick.

• Love 1

Gosselins--their lifestyle improved dramatically from the little 3-bedroom house they started out in and the kids ended up with paid for college from the state of PA, plus trust funds, and Kate says the big house they have now is "the children's house" so I am assuming it is paid for by their earnings doing TV.

Just for the sake of accuracy so we don't have more stories like June put everything in trust going around, state college accounts were set up for the Gosselin kids, but funding was left up to the parents and donations.  There is no knowing for the general viewer is 10 cents or $1000 is actually in the accounts.  The house may be the children's in Kate terms, but refinanced it and took out most of what little equity was in it.  The only reason Kate set up trust accounts was that the state made her.  However, she can still use the money. 

At least with The Little Couple it appears that show or not they can and would provide for their children and have the financial acumen to know to plan for the children's future and security.  That is an area I'm never worried about with them. 

• Love 1

Well 40,000 is for 9 people--so it is less than $5000 per person per episode, which seems like it's similar to what the Boo Boos got per family member.  So the Little Family would be similar, and hopefully her parents, the nanny and his family  and people at her work when they appear.  I'd  imagine the hospital gets some kind of donation or something when they allow them to follow Jen to work although I think her appearing is probably fantastic promotion for the hospital--both because of the level of care she received as well as showing the parts of the hospital she works in.
I feel more confident of them putting money away for these kids.  I'm sure Jen's cancer was paid for by insurance and now hopefully pre-existing othopedic issues would be too for them.  I bet before they might have had to pay out of pocket for some of the surgeries they had done when they were younger.   I'm so glad Bill had the work done to help him with his back pain--he looked like he was having pain moving last season, and most of the lifting around the home falls to him, so I'm glad if he is doing better.

This is off subject but, did anyone notice Jen's bikini on the beach? I bring this up because when they were in China getting Will she wore an authentic dress from China and she and Bill thought it was slightly risqué because it was above her knees and slightly fitted to her figure. I couldn't believe she had on a bikini. Also is it just me or do they refuse to admit they need help. In watching the episode in India and Jen had to leave she wanted to take Will so that Bill wouldn't be there by himself with two kids but, there was no mention of Kate being there even though she had been in mostly all of the scenes. Do they do this purposely or does it slip their minds and maybe seems insignificant. I would like to see how they get the kids in the car and if Jen goes out alone with the kids, how she manages and not just seeing them coming in the door.

• Love 2

I love your post. Yes, spending money keeps the economy going. They have the money, it's not like we're watching "Living Beyond Your Means".... lol.

Wanted to like your post twice. :-)

Thanks!   And I agree with you, we are not watching "Living Beyond Your Means".   I think Bill and Jen are much too smart for that! 

• Love 2

I don't know if they have a nanny anymore. They do not necessarily need one unless Bill is working at the store. If I remember right, Will and Zoey are starting school.

They still have Kate.  She travelled with them for their appearance on the Dr. Oz show as did Jen's parents.  I am sure Bill can't do any lifting and Jen said she is working full time in between their trips and Will and Zoey won't be doing full days at "school."

This is off subject but, did anyone notice Jen's bikini on the beach? I bring this up because when they were in China getting Will she wore an authentic dress from China and she and Bill thought it was slightly risqué because it was above her knees and slightly fitted to her figure. I couldn't believe she had on a bikini.

It's funny because I usually don't like bikinis but I liked the one Jen was wearing, it was more sporty than sexy.

It's probably difficult for her to buy a one piece bathing suit. It wouldn't be proportioned properly for an adult woman so a bikini is the best way for her and she looked really fit and healthy in it. I was thinking when I saw her in that bikini that she looks so much healthier now, it was wonderful.

I really loved Zoey's entire outfit but especially that blue, octopus bucket hat.

People keep mentioning what happened to the fish that Bill caught but what do people think happened to the fish that Bill and Will saw in the fish market? They didn't voluntarily give up their lives. That's how people eat fish, they were alive in the water, they're fished out and then they die of suffocation. It's harsh and since I love animals, it's probably why I've been a vegetarian for a few years now. If you feel upset with what Bill did, then maybe you should try vegetarianism too.

• Love 6

I agree with those who say Bill and Jenn are living withing their means. Yes they live what most would consider extravagant lives, but they also work hard for what they have. In reality tv what bothers me is when you see shows that may or may not have several wives and we see them living essentially the some ways, if not more extravagantly the the Klein/Arnold's... But knowing they recently filed for bankruptcy.

• Love 3

This is off subject but, did anyone notice Jen's bikini on the beach? I bring this up because when they were in China getting Will she wore an authentic dress from China and she and Bill thought it was slightly risqué because it was above her knees and slightly fitted to her figure. I couldn't believe she had on a bikini. Also is it just me or do they refuse to admit they need help. In watching the episode in India and Jen had to leave she wanted to take Will so that Bill wouldn't be there by himself with two kids but, there was no mention of Kate being there even though she had been in mostly all of the scenes. Do they do this purposely or does it slip their minds and maybe seems insignificant. I would like to see how they get the kids in the car and if Jen goes out alone with the kids, how she manages and not just seeing them coming in the door.

They do reference their physical challenges now and then through the show. Jen, for example, mentioned she would not be able to hand either of her children to the priest at the baptism. I suppose they don't want to just say this over and over -- would be kind of boring since it is obvious. 

Regarding the skirt hitting about the knees, some women feel uncomfortably exposed because, you know, sometimes you bend over. I don't think women who prefer their hemline at their knees necessarily all wear one piece bathing suits. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 4