Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, JJ928 said:

I'm actually happy with those #s. While an increase would be nice, I was expecting it to drop after the hiatus, like Supergirl did, so holding steady is good imo.

The fact that both Arrow and Flash were ok with their ratings after the small hiatus while Supergirl crushed is interesting.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, theOAfc said:

The fact that both Arrow and Flash were ok with their ratings after the small hiatus while Supergirl crushed is interesting.

Well even with as much anticipation as I had for Wednesday's new episode, I know I forgot that Supergirl was coming back.  Only my DVR saved me.  

2 hours ago, theOAfc said:

Flash had a pretty good cliffhanger and teaser promo. How did Arrow end before the hiatus?

1 minute ago, Trini said:

Flash had a pretty good cliffhanger and teaser promo. How did Arrow end before the hiatus?

Took me a minute to remember but crazy blood splatterd Chase tooling down the road bopping to the music was a pretty good ending.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Yeah both CW shows lost 100k viewers in finals so i think there was a preemption. And Arrow beat Supergirl in the 18-34 again. 

Probably a small market, if there was one

Edited by Morrigan2575

Drinking coffee and watching the episode on the app while downloading the episode from iTunes.  Cause that is what one does for an Olicity/OTA episode.

• Love 6
(edited)
7 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I'm glad the demo held. If these numbers hold, then the ratings for 520 will actually be higher than the ratings for 519 (but of course, 519 was airing after a month break)...
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/arrow-tv-show-cw-season-five-ratings/

It didn't drop to .4 so I'll take what I can get.  I will bet that it's going to do well in the plus three and plus seven DVR numbers.  (Forgive me, I'm sure I butchered the category names.)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

I'm glad the demo held. If these numbers hold, then the ratings for 520 will actually be higher than the ratings for 519 (but of course, 519 was airing after a month break)...
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/arrow-tv-show-cw-season-five-ratings/

Im lowkey glad it held too. Wouldnt want dumb redditors claiming credit in the writers mentions. We also know these EPs seem to not understand much about how ratings work.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

The demos held, yay!

Also, I thought this was interesting info, re: whether or not people watching the rescheduled airing count in the ratings:

That's something I've never heard before

13 minutes ago, theOAfc said:

Im lowkey glad it held too. Wouldnt want dumb redditors claiming credit in the writers mentions. We also know these EPs seem to not understand much about how ratings work.

The writers knew about the preemption. They even tweeted about it

On 4/27/2017 at 1:04 PM, Velocity23 said:

Final-Bcast-2017-Apr-26.WED_.png

Finals make me wonder that there was a preemption but the demo held. 

I don't know how much it matters, but the Sacramento/NorCal area was preempted for Giants baseball that week.  Arrow was on Friday.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, JenMcSnark said:

I don't know how much it matters, but the Sacramento/NorCal area was preempted for Giants baseball that week.  Arrow was on Friday.

It does actually, many of us suspected a preemption but, no one online could say where. This is cool, makes sense since LA was preempted this week and we saw similar drops in viewers.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
(edited)

I got my new TV Guide in the mail (double issue, for next two weeks).  Arrow's season finale on May 24 will be up against Survivor's season finale and ABC's movie remake of Dirty Dancing.

Edited by tv echo

I see that positive Olicity trend continues! 

I'd love to know what the final numbers for 520 were though, once they added in the LA market. 

(edited)

I thought this was interesting (article addresses the questions listed below)...

TV Ratings: Everything You Wanted to Know, But Were Afraid to Ask
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 11 2017, 11:00 AM PDT
http://tvline.com/2017/05/11/tv-ratings-renewed-cancelled-shows-frequently-asked-questions/

HOW DID THE 18-49 DEMO BECOME SO IMPORTANT?
IS THE 18-49 DEMO STILL IMPORTANT?
WHAT ARE “C3” AND “C7” RATINGS?
DO DVR/STREAMING NUMBERS MATTER MUCH? (YET?) 
CAN THE PROSPECT OF SYNDICATION STILL ‘SAVE’ A SHOW?
DO A NETWORK’S LOWEST-RATED SHOWS ALWAYS LOSE OUT?
IS THE INDUSTRY SATISFIED WITH NIELSEN’S NUMBERS?
ARE DIMINISHING BROADCAST RATINGS REACHING A CRISIS POINT?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I know I shouldn't linger on "what ifs" but WHAT IF they hadn't gotten preempted last week? Since 520's final ratings were almost identical to 519 even after losing the #2 market, it's safe to say there definitely would've been a bump.

• Love 14
(edited)

This article compared returning series' ratings for the 2016-2017 season to their ratings for the previous season...

The 2016-2017 TV Season in 5 Really Depressing Charts
By Josef Adalian and Jeni Zhen   May 14, 2017
http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/2016-2017-tv-season-in-five-really-depressing-charts.html

Almost every year since 2013, Vulture has published a chart illustrating the performance of veteran TV shows during the most recent season. We’ve labeled said charts “depressing” because they’ve consistently shown the vast majority of returning shows — whether they’ve been on the air for two years or two decades — losing ground in the key TV demographic of adults under 50. This season is no exception, and it’s arguably the most depressing year yet for those who follow network TV trends....

... This year, 27 returning series suffered what we’d define as serious decline — a ratings loss of 25 percent or larger. That’s up from 16 series with similarly significant declines last season. It’s a dramatic spike, to be sure, but also not all that shocking. While some viewers are no doubt abandoning network TV for better offerings on cable or streaming, audiences are also simply consuming TV in dramatically different ways than they did at the start of the decade.

We’ve been trained to know that if we fall behind on several episodes of a show, we can always catch up later on streaming. Binge-watching an entire season is, for many, a better experience than watching week-to-week....
Note: Our chart is based on Nielsen data comparing all available viewing data for the current television season (from late September through late April) vs. similar data for the 2015–16 season. We used so-called “live plus seven” data for adult viewers between the ages of 18 and 49, which means this data includes a week’s worth of DVR replays and some (but not all!) viewing that takes place via Hulu and network-owned websites and apps. We counted only first-run episodes of scripted entertainment programs, as well as reality shows. We didn’t include newsmagazines, sports broadcasts or video clip shows such as AHF or Caught on Camera. Final Nielsen data for the season won’t be completed until early June, which means it’s possible a few shows now listed as being flat or down could end up in positive territory.

The CW
  0%    Jane The Virgin
- 8%    Supernatural
-11%    The Vampire Diaries
-13%    Originals
-17%    The Flash
-20%    Reign
-21%    DCs Legends of Tomorrow
-22%    The 100
-22%    iZombie
-25%    Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
-31%    Arrow
-48%    Supergirl*

(*Moved from CBS to CW)

Other Superhero and Berlanti Shows
-27%    Gotham (Fox)
-30%    Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (ABC)
-47%    Blindspot (NBC)

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

The CW
  0%    Jane The Virgin
- 8%    Supernatural
-11%    The Vampire Diaries
-13%    Originals
-17%    The Flash
-20%    Reign
-21%    DCs Legends of Tomorrow
-22%    The 100
-22%    iZombie
-25%    Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
-31%    Arrow
-48%    Supergirl*

(*Moved from CBS to CW)

So Arrow did indeed experience the greatest demo drop of all CW shows after being the only CW show last year to not drop (I don't think Supergirl can be included, since going from CBS to CW is apples and oranges). Ouch. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Only if you look at Live +7. If you compare Live + SD the numbers are different

But even if you're just looking at the Live+SD numbers (or the similar C3 numbers, which is what advertisers really care about), I don't remember Arrow ever falling as low as a 0.5 in the demo before in Live+SD. Before this season, Arrow was retaining its audience much better than most shows. Whether it's because of bad marketing, unpopular plots or changing viewer habits (it's probably a mix of all), they're still lucky that they're on a network that cares less about ratings and more about things like owned productions and the Netflix deal.

6 minutes ago, Trisha said:

But even if you're just looking at the Live+SD numbers (or the similar C3 numbers, which is what advertisers really care about), I don't remember Arrow ever falling as low as a 0.5 in the demo before in Live+SD. Before this season, Arrow was retaining its audience much better than most shows. Whether it's because of bad marketing, unpopular plots or changing viewer habits (it's probably a mix of all), they're still lucky that they're on a network that cares less about ratings and more about things like owned productions and the Netflix deal.

Well CW is not like the other networks. Its a WB and CBS network. They only air shows produced by those productions. And the main goal of the network is to get shows to syndication. The network has a huge netflix deal and the DCTV shows +Supernatural are charting high in DVD sales and merchandise. At this point Arrow is considered an old show. 

7 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Well CW is not like the other networks. Its a WB and CBS network. They only air shows produced by those productions. And the main goal of the network is to get shows to syndication. The network has a huge netflix deal and the DCTV shows +Supernatural are charting high in DVD sales and merchandise. At this point Arrow is considered an old show. 

Yup, that's what I said in my last line. I don't think syndication matters as much as it used to, but the Netflix deal is huge for them (especially since they lost Hulu).

4 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

International syndication should still matter though. Though the weird thing is Arrow isnt on Netflix Canada.

I know! I'm pretty sure it used to be because I think it I rewatched season 1 that way. Must have been a condition of CTV's agreement.  It sucks because since they moved it to CTV Two it gets even less promotion than it used to.