Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

I feel bad for Constantine fans who were hoping for a ratings boom (as unlikely as a show resurrection may be). I think the leak might have hurt, primarily because Constantine's backstory with Oliver was pretty ridiculous, as was Sara's rescue. I enjoyed the ep overall, but I thought that the Constantine storyline wasn't all that well done, considering the hype.

• Love 1

This episode also wasn't up against a World Series game like last week. I expected a bigger bump, especially considering the Constantine factor.

402 ratings adjusted up, but yeah, the rest stayed the same or adjusted down.

So...1 out of 4 weeks...

Here's the unrounded numbers for this week

Arrow ...................................... 1.031

Supernatural .......................... 0.610

Unless there was some overrun or something else that could cause an adjustment both Arrow and (sadly) SPN will stay the same in finals.

Constantine didn't have great ratings for a network show, but I wouldn't say that he'd have *no* effect on ratings. There were certainly enough Constantine fans online to trend and give Arrow a boost on the Twitter Nielson ranking.

Heck 'Constantine' was trending in Australia when I got up an hour ago.  I don't know if it aired last night on satellite/cable or if our reputation for being the world's most prolific pirates just got another boost.

I don't even think Constantine pulled in 1.1 on NBC. I think this is quite good for Constantine, there was no way to save the show (at this point) but maybe they'll bring him back for more Flarrowverse episodes

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I saw people on spoilertv this morning expecting Arrow to score a 1.2 which I thought was unlikely.

I don't know if the "leak" helped or hurt the ratings so I won't go there but I think 1.1 is good for a highly hyped Constantine appearance.

• Love 1

I think that was people being very unrealistic about the ratings.

No one actually said the ratings would be huge but just visiting Facebook and other places, a lot of people were commenting about bringing back Constantine and it just gave the impression that a lot of people watched the show. (I'd never watched so I had no idea.) So I just assumed there would be a huge ratings bump. That's why I'm surprised there's barely any change at all.

Edited by Angel12d

No one actually said the ratings would be huge but just visiting Facebook and other places, a lot of people were commenting about bringing back Constantine and it just gave the impression that a lot of people watched the show. (I'd never watched so I had no idea.) So I just assumed there would be a huge ratings bump. That's why I'm surprised there's barely any change at all.

Fans seem to, as I said, I saw people on spoilertv predicting a 1.2 and I thought that was unrealistic. I do think Constantine fans (of which I am one) over estimated the ratings...mostly wishful thinking, IMO

Didn't Arrow scored a 0.9 last week? I wouldn't call a 2 tenths jump in the demo barely any change.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Didn't Arrow scored a 0.9 last week? I wouldn't call a 2 tenths jump in the demo barely any change.

I meant in terms of viewing figures/numbers rather than demo, if we're being picky about it.

Edited by Angel12d

Fans seem to, as I said, I saw people on spoilertv predicting a 1.2 and I thought that was unrealistic. I do think Constantine fans (of which I am one) over estimated the ratings...mostly wishful thinking, IMO

If the "World Series depresses ratings for other shows" theory is to be believed, some of the .2 could be from recovering that audience. I'm sure Constantine must have brought in some new viewers too.

I will be curious to see next week if there is any bump from a Felicity-centric episode.

Given that it is also being billed as "Ray is back!" I wonder if the two will cancel each other out. 

• Love 5

Felicity Smoak ep 3x05 on it's own,no other DC char added, did better.

2x08 (Barry Allen's introduction pre the Flash) did 3.24 million and a 1.2 in demo.  The crossover episode 3x08 did 3.92 million with a 1.4 in the demo.

Which is why it's important for good, quality episodes to follow the crossover.  Last season's crossover gave Arrow a bump for several episodes but gradually declined to normal.  I'd argue the episodes following the crossover were kinda bad and if they had been of higher quality the new viewers might have grown attached to the characters and turned permanent.

Edited by Cosmosgravitation
  • Love 5

2x08 (Barry Allen's introduction pre the Flash) did 3.24 million and a 1.2 in demo.  The crossover episode 3x08 did 3.92 million with a 1.4 in the demo.

Which is why it's important for good, quality episodes to follow the crossover.  Last season's crossover gave Arrow a bump for several episodes but gradually declined to normal.  I'd argue the episodes following the crossover were kinda bad and if they had been of higher quality the new viewers might have grown attached to the characters and turned permanent.

I think i didn't made my point very well, let me try and clarify 

"Felicity Smoak ep 3x05 on it's own,no other DC char added, did better" .....On her own, no other DC superhero characters added, during the same CMA's that where going on yesterday, the highest rated episode and demo before the crossover, worthy of a CW press release just like the premiere this year. CW press releases don't come around that often for Arrow 

"2x08 (Barry Allen's introduction pre the Flash) did 3.24 million and a 1.2 in demo"  1.1 demo yes it did, Barry Allen also known as Flash, a DC superhero 

"The crossover episode 3x08 did 3.92 million with a 1.4 in the demo" Again a crossover episode with another DC superhero and two fandoms from 2 shows

"Which is why it's important for good, quality episodes to follow the crossover.  Last season's crossover gave Arrow a bump for several episodes but gradually declined to normal.  I'd argue the episodes following the crossover were kinda bad and if they had been of higher quality the new viewers might have grown attached to the characters and turned permanent."  I agree, it's important to deliver good episodes after the crossover to try and grab more viewers, but honestly i don't think a lot of Flash fans stick around to watch Arrow, especially not last year with all the doom and gloom, and i'm not seeing it this year either. Crossover will do good, but after, it will probably decline to normal Arrow ratings again. This is Arrow S4 for a CW show with 4 seasons it's doing good

• Love 2

Flash is hugely popular and Arrow got a huge boost in ratings in 208/209 thanks to Barry Allen and in 308 which, IIRC was the highest rated Arrow episode ever.

I have no doubt that Arrow will get another boost in 408 that may carry over to the MSF and early January episodes. I also wonder if Arrow will now play the someone's dead card every x09 because Oliver dying in 309 helped maintain momentum in the winter episodes. 409 Felicity "dies", 509 Diggle "dies", 609 Thea gets "killed".

I'm almost positive Arrow now does their big death/departure episodes in 19/20 because of the boost they got from Moira'so death.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

I'm surprised that there was any expectation for a boost with Constantine. It was a grindingly-mediocre-at-best show that a lot of the fans of the source material did not like and clearly new/casual viewers weren't enthralled either. From what I saw I think Matt Ryan and the Arrow writers managed to make him work better on this show than I would have expected. I actually thought it adjusting up to 1.1 was impressive, especially considering I keep reading articles that say things to the effect of, "None of this Sara story is about Arrow, bring back Felicity and Diggle."

Considering that many of the comments I did read from Constantine fans who watched for him basically said they thought Arrow sucked, I'm not sure how many of them will bother staying around. 

To me the main problem with the show isn't so much who is or isn't in the spotlight and is just piss-poor storyboarding and storytelling in general.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3

Before 405 aired, MG said he did not think the leak would affect their ratings (warning - rest of article contains spoilery info)...

DEADLINE: In terms of catching up, earlier this week, the Haunted episode got leaked online, what do you think of that and what the impact will be?
GUGGENHEIM: Obviously we’re not thrilled about it. You try to make yourself feel better by saying that there’s no such thing as bad publicity, but this is obviously not how we want people to experience the episode. Particularly since it was pirated off a screener copy without finalized visual effects, sound and color.

That said, I don’t think — knock on wood — it will affect our ratings. Arrow had traditionally been one of the more torrented shows out there and it hasn’t affected us before. Fingers crossed.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/arrow-constantine-spoilers-flash-marc-guggenheim-matt-ryan-legends-of-tomorrow-batman-1201606994/

I know people think the leak was intentional so I really have no idea what to think about it's impact on ratings.

Honestly, I think the Constantine episode pulling a 1.1 in the demo is very good for the first episode of sweeps week.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Did anything trend on twitter?

#Arrow was trending from around 8p up until at least 11p EST and beyond which is when the west coast feed starts. Haven't seen that since the premiere. I also did see #ConstantineonArrow trending at one point.

Edited by kismet

Hey!  Anyone know where to get a break down of character time in the episode?  In the first few episodes, someone just posted it but I haven't seen anything for the last couple weeks. 

@HattieJo18 on twitter posts every Thursday the character time for the episode 

• Love 1
Particularly since it was pirated off a screener copy without finalized visual effects, sound and color.

It didn't look that different to me. The sound effects were louder but that didn't add anything to the ep and when they were using Thea as a bait someone else said Oliver's line. Other than those two things everything looked exactly the same. 

Sorry, that was me, I was on vacation for the past week. Let me post them in the BTS thread

Heaven forbid you should take a vacation! Hey, at least you know you are missed and your contributions much appreciated. :)

#Arrow was trending from around 8p up until at least 11p EST and beyond which is when the west coast feed starts. Haven't seen that since the premiere. I also did see #ConstantineonArrow trending at one point.

bbfixXSQTWZvtfkLb0tR_Image1.jpg

Interesting stats in this article...

Show (Network)                      % male    % female    Median age

Supergirl (CBS)                           51              49                 56.0

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC)     53             47                 46.9

Gotham (Fox)                             57             43                  47.2

Arrow (CW)                                 58             42                  42.9

The Flash (CW)                           60             40                  41.9

Percentage of adult viewership among men and women for current-season episodes, and median age of all viewers.

Source: Nielsen

'Supergirl' soars with women as well as men
Gary Levin, USA TODAY 6:50 p.m. EST November 8, 2015
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/11/08/superhero-tv-series-male-female-viewers/75218606/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I can understand the median age for Supergirl being older since it's the only show on CBS and that station appeals to older, but I'm surprised that Arrow and Flash have a median age of 43 and 42 respectively even though they are on the CW.  Are younger people not watching TV, and watching on their tablets etc instead?

Also interesting that the Flash and Arrow are the greatest percentage of men. The CW must be happy.  (I can understand why Gotham is 57% male viewers, it's so dark.)