Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, strikera0 said:

I've been going through the DVD and Blu-Ray sales charts at The-Numbers.com and I think it's true when people say that the rise of Netflix is hurting DVD sales of television series. The only shows left with good DVD/Blu-Ray sales are The Big Bang Theory, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Outlander and surprisingly, Longmire. As for the Flarrowverse shows, the only one that appears on any of the charts this year is Supergirl: Season 2 with 15,466 total units sold during opening week. For comparison's sake, season 1 of Supergirl still sold 41,706 total units it's first week of release. Season 3 of the Flash was made available the same week as Supernatural, but only Supernatural made the charts at #19 with 24,549 total units sold. The second season of The Flash still sold 44,766 units. Unfortunately, the website hasn't updated the weekly DVD and Blu-Ray charts since mid-September, but Arrow: Season 5 wasn't listed amongst the top 20 in DVD sales over at Variety.com for it's first or second week. Arrow: Season 4 still sold 27,480 units. LOT: Season 1 only sold 18,062 units during opening week. It's failure to chart should therefore surprise nobody. 

I completely agree that the rise of Netflix and other streaming services has massively cut into DVD/Blu-Ray sales. I do want to note, however, that the charts at The-Numbers.com and Variety are for box retail sales (e.g., Walmart, Best Buy, Target) and do not include Amazon's sales or library sales through Baker and Taylor, so all of the numbers above are probably a little low to very low. 

By virtually all reports, Supernatural made it to a 13th season thanks largely to comparatively very strong DVD/Blu-Ray sales versus its Nielsen numbers. It will be interesting to see if streaming services will have a similar effect. 

18 hours ago, quarks said:

... Whatever the reason, Arrow is outselling the other three shows on Amazon (and apparently iTunes and Google Play), which presumably is one reason why one, the CW chose to put Arrow into one of its toughest time spots of the week, and two, the CW is choosing to play around with the schedules for Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow instead of Arrow.  

The fact that Arrow has more seasons to sell could also be a factor.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Trini said:

Except that's not how Amazon rankings work.  The rankings are based on individual seasons, not the show in general.  I suspect that it has more to do with Arrow's audience skewing older than the other CW shows.  Basically, older audience = more disposable income = higher sales.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Trini said:

I think you may have misunderstood my list and/or how the Amazon rankings work?  Yeah, having more seasons to sell does allow Arrow to potentially move more overall units.  But as NumberCruncher just noted, those Amazon rankings were for individual seasons, showing that Arrow's two most recent seasons are outselling every other season of every other Arrowverse show.   That is, Arrow season 5, for whatever reason, is outselling Flash season 3. Arrow season 4 is also outselling Flash season 3.  Flash season 3 is currently outselling seasons 1-3 on Arrow, but after that, seasons 1-3 on Arrow are all, individually, outselling every other season of every other Arrowverse show on Amazon. 

If you need more comparisons, however:

Riverdale season 1: 1134 (behind Arrow  season 5, about the same as Arrow season 4, and otherwise ahead of all Arrowverse shows/seasons.)

The 100:

Season 1: 3090 (behind all five seasons of Arrow and season 3 of Flash; otherwise, ahead of seasons 1 and 2 of Flash and all seasons of Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow)

Season 2: 4774 (ahead of Supergirl; behind all other Arrowverse shows)

Season 3: 5377 (ahead of Supergirl; behind all other Arrowverse shows)

Season 4: 2735 (behind all five seasons of Arrow - though just barely ahead of season 2 - and season 1 of Flash; otherwise, ahead of all other seasons of the Arrowverse shows.

So, yeah, Riverdale, despite having only one season, is managing to outsell Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and most seasons of Arrow, while The 100 is landing someplace in the middle, depending upon the season. Riverdale is $24.34 on Amazon Prime right now - about twice as much as older seasons of the Arrowverse shows and The 100, and a little bit more expensive than season 3 of Flash.

• Love 8

Honestly, I stopped caring about CW rating. People keep saying, Arrow is getting cancelled and I am over here dreading the show continuing past season 7. Honestly, this show doesn't cost as much money as Flash, LoT, and Supergirl. It also has one of the most intense social media presence and now apparently has strong a DVD/Blu-ray sells. No way are they canceling it any time soon which is what I am afraid off. I want Arrow to end after season 7. These writers are the worst and I get bored with shows after 7 seasons. So, Arrow ending after season 7 works for me. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, TwistedandBored said:

I want Arrow to end after season 7. These writers are the worst and I get bored with shows after 7 seasons. So, Arrow ending after season 7 works for me. 

If I don't like a show or lose interest in a show, I stop watching the show.  Hoping a show gets canceled because I no longer have interest just seemed wrong to me. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

If I don't like a show or lose interest in a show, I stop watching the show.  Hoping a show gets canceled because I no longer have interest just seemed wrong to me. 

I never say I am hoping for this show to get cancelled. Looking back I think I worded weirdly. I wanted to say that I want the show to end after season 7. Totally different. I want the actors and everyone involve to decide season 7 is where they want to stop. Also, I don't see Arrow as a show that can continue past season 7. That is just me. 

• Love 1

Unrounded finals for last week from RJK at Spotted Ratings:

Here were the FINALS for last week's CW shows (Dec. 4-8) along with L+3:

............................................ L+SD ............ L+3 ...
The Flash ........................... 0.808 ........... 1.24 ...
Supernatural ...................... 0.555 ........... 0.88 ...
Legends of Tomorrow ........ 0.554 ........... 0.84 ...
Riverdale ............................ 0.538 ........... 0.93 ...
Supergirl ............................. 0.485 ........... 0.78 ...
Arrow .................................. 0.426 ........... 0.71 ...
Jane the Virgin ................... 0.265
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend ............. 0.237*
Valor ................................... 0.207 ........... 0.26 ...
Dynasty ............................... 0.195 ........... 0.26 ...

*No. 2 rating of the fall (0.241 on Nov. 10)

Rankings season-to-date (numbers from Spotted Ratings)

In demo average:

1. The Flash 0.90
  2. Supernatural 0.61
  3. Riverdale 0.57
  4. Legends/Supergirl 0.55
  5. Arrow 0.51
  6. Jane the Virgin 0.26
  7. Dynasty/Valor 0.22
  8. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 0.21

In viewer average:

1. The Flash 2.450 million
  2. Supergirl 1.935 million
  3. Supernatural 1.786 million
  4. Legends 1.672 million
  5. Riverdale 1.632 million
  6. Arrow 1.464 million
  7. Valor 0.973 million
  8. Dynasty 0.783 million
  9. Jane the Virgin 0.641 million
  10. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 0.626 million

In change year-to-year:

1. Riverdale +39%
  2. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend +7%
  3. Supernatural -6%
  4. Legends -20%
  5. The Flash -22%
  6. Arrow -31%
  7. Jane the Virgin -34%
  8. Supergirl -35%

ETA:  TVSeriesFinale has different numbers for the year-to-year changes.  I do not know which is more accurate.  

IMG_0687.PNG

Edited by Starfish35
Adding TVSeriesFinale chart
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

ETA:  TVSeriesFinale has different numbers for the year-to-year changes.  I do not know which is more accurate.  

TVSeriesFinale compares this year's ratings average of 0,51 to the total average of season 5, which was 0,62 whereas SpottedRatings compares the first 9 episodes of this year with the first 9 episodes of last year (0,736). IMO, the latter approach is more accurate because ratings tend to be lower in spring, weighing down the total average for the season. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, strikera0 said:

TVSeriesFinale compares this year's ratings average of 0,51 to the total average of season 5, which was 0,62 whereas SpottedRatings compares the first 9 episodes of this year with the first 9 episodes of last year (0,736). IMO, the latter approach is more accurate because ratings tend to be lower in spring, weighing down the total average for the season. 

Oh good to know.  And yes, I agree with you.  

Live+7 numbers for the last 2 Arrow episodes:

6x08: 1.7 in A18-49 and 4.412 million total viewers. 

6x09: 0.8 in A18-49 and 2.121 million total viewers. 

Here's a full overview of Arrow's Live+7 fall ratings:

6x01: 1.1 in A18-49 and 2.698 million viewers

6x02: 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.588 million viewers

6x03:  0.9 in A18-49 and 2.384 million viewers

6x04: 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.228 million total viewers

6x05: 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.374 million viewers

6x06: A18-49 unknown (but should be 0.8) and 2.203 million total viewers

6x07: 0.8 in A18-49 and 2.165 million total viewers

6x08: 1.7 in A18-49 and 4.412 million total viewers

6x09: 0.8 in A18-49 and 2.121 million total viewers

For the sake of comparison, here are some other CW shows:

The Flash:

4x01: 1.8 in A18-49 and 4.773 million total viewers

4x02: 1.7 in A18-49 and 4.355 million total viewers

4x03: 1.8 in A18-49 and 4.461 million total viewers

4x04: 1.4 in A18-49 and 3.789 million total viewers

4x05: 1.7 in A18-49 and 4.223 million total viewers

4x06: 1.7 in A18-49 and 4.286 million total viewers

4x07: 1.6 in A18-49 and 4.277 million total viewers

4x08: 1.7 in A18-49 and 4.641 million total viewers

4x09: 1.4 in A18-49 and 3.670 million total viewers

Legends of Tomorrow:

3x01: 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.850 million total viewers

3x02: 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.553 million total viewers

3x03: 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.375 million total viewers

3x04: 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.422 million total viewers

3x05: 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.536 million total viewers

3x06: 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.590 million total viewers

3x07: 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.567 million total viewers

3x08: 1.7 in A18-49 and 4.618 million total viewers

3x09: A18-49 unknown (but should be 1.0) and 2.606 million total viewers 

Supergirl:

3x01: 1.0 in A18-49 and 3.117 million total viewers

3x02: 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.981 million total viewers

3x03: 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.780 million total viewers

3x04: 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.960 million total viewers

3x05: 1.0 in A18-49 and 3.014 million total viewers

3x06: 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.953 million total viewers

3x07: 1.0 in A18-49 and 3.169 million total viewers

3x08: 1.6 in A18-49 and 4.430 million total viewers

3x09: 0.9 in A18-49 and 2.941 million total viewers

Riverdale:

2x01: 1.4 in A18-49 and 3.748 million total viewers

2x02: 1.2 in A18-49 and 3.099 million total viewers

2x03: 1.2 in A18-49 and 2.934 million total viewers

2x04: 1.1 in A18-49 and 2.793 million total viewers

2x05: 1.0 in A18-49 and 2701 million total viewers

2x06: 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.657 million total viewers

2x07: 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.639 million total viewers

2x08: 1.1 in A18-49 and 2.677 million total viewers

Supernatural:

13x01: Numbers unknown

13x02: Numbers unknown

13x03: 1.1 in A18-49, total viewers unknown

13x04: Numbers unknown 

13x05: A18-49 unknown, 2.707 million total viewers

13x06: Numbers unknown

13x07: 0.8 in A18-49 and 2.452 million total viewers

13x08: 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.829 million total viewers

13x09: 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.629 million total viewers

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

So Arrow came back a a bit lower in viewers and the same in demo after the crossover, but Flash dropped 0.2 in demo and lost 600k viewers? Wow.

And Legends managed a slight increase even against that, interestingly enough.  Wonder if they'll manage to hold on to that in the new timeslot? (I'm not holding my breath.) 

The thing is LoT's makes sense since a main character just died and people would want to see what happens afterwards, and Arrow basically matched 607's just like it did for last year's crossover, that Flash drop is really weird and I can't figure out what would even be a possible point against it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

So Arrow came back a a bit lower in viewers and the same in demo after the crossover, but Flash dropped 0.2 in demo and lost 600k viewers? Wow.

Yeah, I can't wait to see Flash's ratings when it returns after the Christmas break. Will the show be able to rebound or is 1.4 the new normal?

Edited by strikera0

YEAR-END TV RATINGS REPORT CARD: NBC, FOX, AND THE CW HIT THEIR STRIDE
Benjamin Bullard   December 21, 2017
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/2017-year-end-TV-ratings-report-card

Unlike its genre-rich streaming and cable competitors, good old-fashioned broadcast television hit its highest points in late 2017, mostly with conventional programming, even as The CW stood apart by continuing its heavy lean on shows like Riverdale, Arrow, and The Flash to hold loyal viewers.

Late-year ratings decisively handed NBC the top spot among broadcast networks, largely on the strength of sports, sitcoms, and reality fare. NBC’s trio of Sunday Night Football, The Voice, and the revived Will and Grace sitcom led it to the strongest showing among networks through the final 12 weeks of the fall viewing season, pulling 33 percent more viewers than second-place finisher Fox, according to TV Line.

The CW, meanwhile, churned along with its heavy roster of genre favorites, largely pulled from the DC Extended Universe. While The CW’s numbers through year’s end can’t compare with the big four, they do reflect a “do-what-works” approach to drawing and retaining a loyal fan base.

Nielsen Media Research said as much in its year-ending report. “Don’t count out the little guy — shows that may not have cracked the top 10 in viewership made up for it in social buzz, demonstrating the dynamic value of television in 2017.”

That’s a strategy that appears to work on the streaming TV side of things, where viewers can take in an entire season’s worth of content in a single marathon binge and then share their thoughts with like-minded fans. while all the shocks and cliffhangers are still fresh. But apart from The CW, most networks relied on the episodic nature of scheduled programming to keep their ratings high.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

Poor SPN, getting ignored again as the 2nd highest rated CW show for the year coming in ahead of Arrow and Riverdale and 2nd to the Flash, or do I have that wrong? Talk about loyal viewers.  Alas.  LOL

You're right I had the same thought. Let's talk about loyal CW viewers and ignore the show with THE most loyal audience. ?

• Love 1

'Riverdale' Leads The CW to Ratings Stability in a Volatile TV Market
By RUSS BURLINGAME - December 29, 2017
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/12/29/riverdale-leads-the-cw-to-ratings-stability-in-a-volatile-market/

The CW's average audience share remained the same, largely because of a massive audience gain by Riverdale and steady performances from both Supernatural and DC's Legends of Tomorrow.

A close-up look at The CW's numbers reflect dips from most of their superhero shows that are roughly in line with the diminishing audience size industry-wide as more viewers abandon traditional television for other ways of watching content. The two outliers are Supergirl, which saw its ratings fall by 25%, and Legends of Tomorrow, which had only a 5% slide.

Legends was down 5% from its Tuesday night time slot last spring, but that represents an overall gain for The CW, who suffered with No Tomorrow in the time slot following The Flash last year. This fall's Legends of Tomorrow ratings average more than double what No Tomorrow was pulling in the same time slot. The Flash is the network's biggest performer, even after a 15% slump, which makes capitalizing on its lead-in a must for The CW -- something Legends has accomplished.

Supernatural and Riverdale, which were the fifth and sixth-most watched shows on The CW in 2016, spiked to second and third this season. The midseason premiere of Supernatural, "Wayward Sisters," will serve as a backdoor pilot for a spinoff. Riverdale, too, will get a spinoff in 2018, although that one will air on Netflix.

Riverdale's surge also means that an 18% drop by Arrow -- which swapped time slots with Riverdale -- is likely less concerning for the network than it otherwise might be. To the naked eye, it looks like the 8 p.m. Wednesday time slot is easier to make a go of than Thursday at 9.

Supergirl's big drop is a big question mark, particularly since it has remained in the same time slot and has few outside factors to explain the change. The 2018 premiere, airing in just over two weeks, will finally introduce the Legion of Super-Heroes, a group of characters who have been teased since the show's first season, so it may be interesting to look at season-over-season rather than year-over-year ratings.

It’s Time for the CW to Accept Who They Are and Embrace Their Audience
Posted by Dan Wickline December 29, 2017
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/29/time-cw-embrace-audience/

... You have to start with the fact that TV-watching is down across the board, and the CW is the only network that has remained mostly even compared to last year. Though they have the smallest audience, it is the most consistent.

Their top-rated show is The Flash, coming in at a 0.9 rating, which is down 15% from last year. While the CW’s thresholds for success are set lower, The Flash would actually be doing decent against the other networks numbers, beating 16 dramas on ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC.

The thing that the CW probably wants to figure out is why this series does so much better than its Arrowverse brethren. Their second-best show is Supernatural, which is just amazing after 13 seasons. The show pulls in a 0.6 rating and compares even to last year’s numbers, even with it moving between 8 and 9 p.m. last year. I think the Winchester brothers have a strong, loyal fan base who will watch the show no matter where or when it’s at.

The big surprise is just how well Riverdale has done after moving from 9 p.m. Thursday last year to 8 p.m. Wednesday this year. The series is pulling a 0.57 rating and is up 46%, which helped the network maintain their overall audience. The interesting thing is that it’s performing near or just under where Arrow was in that same time slot last year.
That brings us back to the Arrowverse and the fourth series on the network, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow. The show is pulling a 0.55 rating, down only 5% from last year, which is a respectable drop. And then you take into account that the series moved from an 8 p.m. Thursday slot to a 9 p.m. Tuesday and that becomes impressive. But the real impressive number is when you compare it to No Tomorrow, the series that was in the Tuesday 9 p.m. slot last year, and Legends is up 115%. This also explains why the network has decided to use this time slot for Black Lightning starting in January.

The show that should be concerned is Supergirl. Coming in fifth it pulls a 0.55 rating just as Legends does, but the series is down 25% overall all and is on Mondays at 8 p.m. The biggest difference may be who it’s up against this season. Where last year it was slated against Gotham, this year it’s taking on the more popular Lucifer. The numbers are still solid for a CW, but the series is going to come back for a few weeks and then go on hiatus for nine weeks while Legends airs. This will have Supergirl finishing her season after the May sweeps.
Arrow is even more interesting in that it’s the lowest rated of the Arrowverse series coming in at 0.51, down 18% from last year. But it’s comparing apples and oranges in a way a the show moved from its regular 8 p.m. Wednesday slot that it has been for five seasons to the 9 p.m. Thursday slot after Supernatural. When you compare it to what Riverdale had been doing in that time slot, Arrow is holding it’s audience better. This is what happens when networks start playing the shell game trying to find the right combination to get the most viewers.

After Arrow, the next series on the CW ranking, Jane the Virgin, comes in with about half the audience, pulling in a 0.25 which is down 29% from last year. After that it’s Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Dynasty, and Valor,  all coming in with a 0.22 rating. Network executives have to be taking a serious look here and seeing that there getting less than half the audience for non-genre series. Valor and Dynasty would have to be considered failures, and that’s on top of No Tomorrow and Frequency from last year.

Once considered the network with young, diverse and attractive casts… now it seems there needs to be a metahuman, a vampire, or at least a serial killer to get fans to tune in. The days of Melrose Place reboots is gone. The CW has created an almost boutique network that specializes in genre dramas and the fans are showing up for it. But the network seems hesitant to embrace it. They continue to do shows for the critical acclaim even though they bring in half the ratings. The key to success is giving your audience what they want. I think the above numbers show clearly what the audience wants from the CW.

The numbers are based on the Live + Same Day ratings and don’t take into account any additional viewers from DVRs, On-Demand, or internet viewing. It’s only looking at the show of the Fall season and not the series that will be returning this spring.

Edited by tv echo

Supernatural jumping up so high is amazing for its age. 

One thing they should probably consider, especially when it comes to Supergirl is PROMOTION. If they put in the effort to promote their DCtv shows as they do The Flash ratings may be better then what they are now. Though Supergirl still has a problem writing wise.

11 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

One thing they should probably consider, especially when it comes to Supergirl is PROMOTION. If they put in the effort to promote their DCtv shows as they do The Flash ratings may be better then what they are now. 

Netflix, Amazon, Dreamworks, FOX and ABC all assured me this morning that 2018 is going to be FILLED WITH EXCITEMENT AND REALLY WILD THINGS.  The CW, in contrast, appears to want me to have a dull 2018, stripped of adventure.  Sad, isn't it?

• Love 13

Since The Flash is their top-rated show, I'd better give up hope that the writing is going to get any better and they'll suddenly start doing a decent job with their female characters.

Edited by statsgirl
autocorrect. sigh.
  • Love 1

Of all the shows that can attribute their drop in ratings to lack of promotion, I wouldn't include Supergirl as one of them. It gets new posters like Flash does and I've heard ads for it on the radio. Name recognition alone should give it a boost ovwr the lesser known Green Arrow and the motley crew on LoT, but it's doing worse than LoT and barely beating Arrow, which is twice as old and in a new timeslot. I'm really curious about the reason for their drop.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Of all the shows that can attribute their drop in ratings to lack of promotion, I wouldn't include Supergirl as one of them. It gets new posters like Flash does and I've heard ads for it on the radio. Name recognition alone should give it a boost ovwr the lesser known Green Arrow and the motley crew on LoT, but it's doing worse than LoT and barely beating Arrow, which is twice as old and in a new timeslot. I'm really curious about the reason for their drop.

I'm inclined to say it was the focus on the Karamel SL. IMO had they kept the focus on  her being SG with Mon-El as a minor thing instead of her everything.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Since The Flash is their top-rated show, I'd better give up hope that the writing is going to get any better and they'll suddenly start doing a decent job with their female characters.

I still have hopes.  Just getting rid of someone who's attitude was constantly reinforcing the worst instincts of writers should allow ideas previously squashed to pop up again.  It may take until next year to feel any changes but I'm crossing my fingers.  I'd think that the writer's room would be very aware of what Kreisberg's voice contributed and want to show that they aren't going to follow his footsteps.    

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, lemotomato said:

The last episodic poster Supergirl got was for the S2 finale. But S3 has drastically died down and it shows. Though a big part of SG ratings I still think are the very lackluster storylines. I know they want Supergirl to be the only hero on her Earth besides Supes but really need to start bringing in others to help hype things up.

Legends still has the pleasure of coming on after The Flash, I would be surprised if their ratings were still as good as they are if they had to fly solo.

That double whammy of The Voice & DWTS probably isnt fun.

Edited by Primal Slayer

Supergirl went up against The Voice, DWTS, and BBT last season too, so that can't be the reason for the drop. 

Supergirl is also the only DCTV show besides Flash to get extended promos this year for every episode. LoT has them for some, but not all, and Arrow only had one for 601. 

On 12/30/2017 at 2:36 PM, statsgirl said:

I gave up a long time ago. We need a whole new writing staff to turn that around.

Huh? ...

How The CW's Schedule Change Affected 'Legends of Tomorrow'
By JOSEPH SCHMIDT - January 15, 2018
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/15/legends-of-tomorrow-supergirl-time-changes/

"I think, you know, the other thing that the CW feels, I think, correctly is all the shows now, they've sort of proven that the audience follows the shows," Guggenheim said. "Arrow's ratings are insanely stable despite both a night change and a time change. Legends has bounced around. This I think will be our third move across the schedule and our ratings remain very consistent.

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

Huh? ...

How The CW's Schedule Change Affected 'Legends of Tomorrow'
By JOSEPH SCHMIDT - January 15, 2018
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/15/legends-of-tomorrow-supergirl-time-changes/

Guggenheim's correct. Arrow's live viewing numbers/ratings went down in season four after the Olicity breakup, and again in season five when Arrow tried a restart with a new team and revisiting the "let's have our main couple date other people just like we did in season one because that was a huge success wait" fun.  But apart from the Thanksgiving episode, which I think can be blamed on Thanksgiving, the ratings this season have pretty much stayed at a .5 - right where they were for season 5B, and the live viewers are also about where they were at the end of last season - despite the fact that Arrow was put in one of the CW's most difficult timeslots and was facing the NFL. I suspect he's also taking streaming numbers (both from the CW app and from Amazon/iTunes) into account. Sure, the numbers haven't been rising, and yes, they're trickling downward - but compared to Arrow's previous drops in season two B, the jumping around all over the place in season three, and the severe drop in season four B - they're steady, all the more impressive given the NFL. 

ETA: Also, Guggenheim and the CW have continued to say that the live+ numbers and streaming numbers remained steady even after the Olicity breakup - it's just that viewers are now watching on other platforms or on delayed viewing. The Amazon sales rankings for the DVD/Blu-ray sets seem to confirm this. 

He's also correct about Legends of Tomorrow. Live viewing numbers/ratings dropped significantly during the first season - it was the fastest drop of any Arrowverse show, including Supergirl, in terms of percentages. From season two on, however, Legends of Tomorrow has remained remarkably steady in ratings/live numbers despite getting moved to another timeslot/night - more so than Flash or Supergirl.

I'm curious to see how any of these shows hold up against the Olympics. It might be a great move - time differences mean that NBC can't/won't carry anything live in the evening timeslot, NBC's Olympics coverage tends to be universally derided, and I honestly don't know how much crossover there is between Arrowverse viewers and Olympic viewers, but the Olympics still generally garner great ratings, so it might also be a live numbers disaster.

Edited by quarks
  • Love 6
47 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

SA mentioned in his FB live last night that the show got preempted for basketball in some areas, so those ratings might adjust down in the finals.

Hopefully they hold, at the very least the demo holds and only a tiny drop in viewers.

Unrounded preliminary numbers from RJK at SpottedRatings.com:

Supernatural ...................................... 0.604 ... (0.620 ... 0.587)
Arrow ................................................. 0.470 ... (0.497 ... 0.444)