Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

Personally I think they made a huge mistake not letting the general audience know that MICHAEL EMERSON was in this episode. They somehow manage to get one of the best actors to appear on a CW show and they keep it quiet?! What kind of nonsense!

That being said, I think this is just the normal Arrow ratings now tbh, though Oliver not being GA is not exactly helping, IMO.

• Love 12

For all the accusations in some forums about the show only catering to Olicity fangirls, it's interesting that this week Arrow lost a share in the women 18-49 demo compared to the first 3 episodes, while men 18-49 has remained the same. Makes me wonder if CW PR will reconsider their action action action! themed promotion.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, bijoux said:

Is this another week in which Arrow has a higher demo, but lower number of total viewers than LoT? Are there any theories as to why this is? 

LoT gets more viewers outside the 18-49 demo, probably younger viewers.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

We are only 4 episodes into the new season and Arrow's 0,5's have been extremely weak the last 2 weeks. It's only a matter of time until it hits 0,4 and I really don't want to know what the ratings are going to look like in spring. 

Arrow's unrounded demo for this week was 0.478 according to spotted ratings. It's only a little drop from last week. If season 6 ratings follow season 5's pattern, demo in the spring can fall up to 0.25 lower than the premiere ratings and would still round up to a 0.4.

But Arrow is going to hit an all-time low when it airs on Thanksgiving anyway, so I wouldn't bother stressing about ratings. They're fun to talk about, but Arrow's going to get renewed for at least another season and TPTB don't seem to care all that much.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, strikera0 said:

We are only 4 episodes into the new season and Arrow's 0,5's have been extremely weak the last 2 weeks. It's only a matter of time until it hits 0,4 and I really don't want to know what the ratings are going to look like in spring. 

We're only 4 episodes into the season and two shows that are half Arrow's age have had even weaker (2 or 3 weeks) demo's and, LoT just hit a 0.4. 

I'd be more worried about LoT and Supergirl than Arrow. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 6

I thought I read that she was given 6 year contract, which would take her through season 7.  Which makes sense, if they were going to make Felicity Oliver's love interest, they should sign her portrayer as long as SA.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I thought I read that she was given 6 year contract, which would take her through season 7.  Which makes sense, if they were going to make Felicity Oliver's love interest, they should sign her portrayer as long as SA.

Do you have a link for that writeup? 

The only thing I recall about EBR's was when Colton mentioned it as an aside and IIRC he said she had a 3 year contract, like him, which would have been up/renewed around S4. 

I'd be surprised if CW/WB etc to gave EBR a 6 year contract at the end of S1 since there was serious concern about CW's survival (at that point). Of course anything is possible.

Edited by Morrigan2575

During one of the European conventions (not HVFF but I don’t remember if it was France or UK), people that were live tweeting said: she was nervous about signing the 6 year commitment but excited. I don’t know if there’s an official write up, but I remember seeing it during that time.

• Love 1

I'm surprised because it means they were willing to commit to EBR very early on. If the CW folded CW/WB would be on the hook for paying out her contract.

Granted it's probably not a super high payout because of her lack of resume but, still that shows a commitment to EBR/Felicity.

Could they have put a clause in there that would sign EBR to 6 but nulls whatever remaining years if the CW folded? /not a lawyer  Presumably, if the CW folded, she wouldn't be held and could find another job. (Then I remember the Writer's Guild issue of contracting writers to shorter seasons and not letting them seek other work in the interim.)

3 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

Could they have put a clause in there that would sign EBR to 6 but nulls whatever remaining years if the CW folded? /not a lawyer  Presumably, if the CW folded, she wouldn't be held and could find another job. (Then I remember the Writer's Guild issue of contracting writers to shorter seasons and not letting them seek other work in the interim.)

I suppose anything is possible but, my understanding is that's unusual. From what I've heard only GG was given a long -term Flash contract for that specific reason, everyone else had shorter contracts some of which were up last year (renewal talks began in February for this season and beyond).

Edited by Morrigan2575

EBR was barely known at the time so her buyout would have been small.  She was excited just to get the first appearance in 1x03.  Before Arrow, all she'd been in was a couple of short films and Flicka: Country Pride.

Given the mistake that the SA/KC chemistry was and how he sparked with EBR,it makes sense to lock EBR down.

• Love 3

The six year contract is what I remember as well.  I do know I read somewhere that whatever her contract was, it was really low and pretty blatantly in the show's favor but that because she was an unknown she was told she would be an idiot not to sign by her agent.  There were also rumors though that it was adjusted in like season three but I have no details. 

In season three EBR had guest star appearances in Flash and Legends of Tomorrow which would not have been in her original contract and where she presumably could have negotiated a higher per-episode appearance.

• Love 1

All this talk about Emily's contract makes me think of the time CanadaGraphs insisted that Emily only gets paid on a day by day basis and that her working on other shows isn't a sign of how much they think of her usefulness in the Arrowverse but of them getting her to work for free. Lol. 

• Love 1

This evening I was procrastinating on something else I was supposed to be doing, and was clicking around on Spotted Ratings, and found the sub-demos charts.  So I wondered - hmm, how do these shows compare against each other when you put them on the same chart?  If anyone is interested, this is what it looks like.

IMG_2341.PNG

I took off the lowest four CW shows for purposes of simplifying the data.

And then flipped and looked at another way.... 

IMG_2342.PNG

Edited by Starfish35
Added second chart
  • Love 5

The Riverdale numbers were particularly interesting - it's very high in W18-34.

Also, I was surprised that Supergirl's female demos were not higher.  

Legends apparently skews older (#3 in A25-54). And Arrow skews younger than either Supergirl or Legends (ahead of both in all 18-34 categories).

And Supernatural appeals across a broad range - it's #2 or #3 in every category.

Edited by Starfish35
31 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Legends apparently skews older (#3 in A25-54). And Arrow skews younger than either Supergirl or Legends (ahead of both in all 18-34 categories).

This part is particularly surprising.

33 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

The Flash is such a dude heavy show (viewership)

I laughed at the male 18-34 part of the chart. There are the other shows all hanging out in the same range, and The Flash just springs up like... well.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

This evening I was procrastinating on something else I was supposed to be doing, and was clicking around on Spotted Ratings, and found the sub-demos charts.  So I wondered - hmm, how do these shows compare against each other when you put them on the same chart?  If anyone is interested, this is what it looks like.

IMG_2341.PNG

I took off the lowest four CW shows for purposes of simplifying the data.

And then flipped and looked at another way.... 

IMG_2342.PNG

Interesting. But there's far to many variables when comparing shows in different seasons, diffferent time slots different days etc. that's it's not truly comparable.

Unrounded finals from RJK at Spotted Ratings.

Here are the numbers for all of CW last week:

........................................ L+SD ....... L+3 ...
The Flash ....................... 0.704 ...... 1.26 ...
Supernatural .................. 0.645 ...... 0.97 ...
Riverdale ....................... 0.573 ....... 0.98 ...
Supergirl ........................ 0.483 ....... 0.78 ...
Arrow ............................. 0.467 ....... 0.78 ...
Legends of Tomorrow ... 0.424 ....... 0.70 ...
Jane the Virgin .............. 0.244 ........ NA ....
Dynasty ......................... 0.230 ....... 0.30 ...
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend ........ 0.223 ........ NA ...
Valor .............................. 0.208 ....... 0.27 ...

• Love 1

Arrow's Live +7 numbers throughout the first 3 weeks of the season:

6x01: 1.1 in A18-49 and 2.698 million viewers

6x02: 1.0 in A18-49 and 2.588 million viewers

6x03:  0.9 in A18-49 and 2.384 million viewers

Source

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 2
On 11/7/2017 at 2:09 AM, BkWurm1 said:

The Flash is such a dude heavy show (viewership)

Men probably like watching shows about male superheroes who never face the consequences of their shitty actions... They also probably like how everyone around said male superhero rarely ever chastise him... 

Edited by WindofChange
  • Love 6

I doubt it would be implemented immediately, but there were several news stories today about the possibility of getting rid of Thursday night football because the increase in injuries.  It probably won't happen quickly, if at all, but it might help ratings.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I doubt it would be implemented immediately, but there were several news stories today about the possibility of getting rid of Thursday night football because the increase in injuries.  It probably won't happen quickly, if at all, but it might help ratings.

Wimps! Actually I'd argue its cutting down on practices that are resulting in more injuries.

Although I'm totally in favor of getting rid of Thursday night games but, I also want an extended season in exchange.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

That just needs to happen because there is way too many days pro football could be on. I get it for opening day or maybe a holiday, but it's just too much. And the turn around is too soon. It's on so late that usually I can watch my entire Thurs TV line-up and then tune in for the 4th quarter. Then again, I only watch it when my team is on, so the 4th quarter is generally the only/most important one, so it's not like I help/hurt its ratings. Plus, it makes for a really rough Friday.

23 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Wimps! Actually I'd argue its cutting down on practices that are resulting in more injuries.

Although I'm totally in favor of getting rid of Thursday night games but, I also want an extended season in exchange.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I also think we could eliminate a lot of preseason.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'd be all for getting rid of evening football.  I resent like crazy when it messes up my television recordings because games go overtime.  If it helps Arrow's ratings, bonus!

Only Thursday. Sorry but Sunday Night Football is usually the best game of the week, even if I have to suffer through (Shut Up!) Collinsworth ?