Type keyword(s) to search

The AMC Spinoff 'Fear The Walking Dead': News and Speculation

• Start Topic

His bank account is, at least.

I expect since the new show is flying under the TWD franchise banner, Kirkman (a) wants to maintain some degree of creative QC and (b) ensure the new show doesn't contradict his original stuff.

I liked this^, because its the truth. 

I just don't like the truth (in this case).

• Love 4
(edited)

This reminds me of every zombie book I've ever read.  I already don't like the main chick and Ray Ramano is correct!   Eh, maybe I've read too much?

Edited by kelslamu

I will no doubt get sucked in, but for now, I'm not finding the cast very compelling.

Oh i will too but am shocked by how they didn't cast particularily attractive people in the main roles.  I know that isn't real life, but I don't want a show about zombies to get real life...lol

I guess on one hand it'll be interesting to see how "ordinary" people deal with walkers. By ordinary, I mean not cops or rednecks or farmers who know how to hunt.

On the other hand, I would think that'd take some of the "spark" out of the show. I would think that instead of stand and fight, there'll be a hell of a lot of: "Let's Get The Hell Out Of Here."  I can't see school teachers (or whatever the leads are) as being real, well, heroic. I mean maybe they will be, and I know it can happen. But then, the flip side to that is that if (say overnight) the characters go from being, well, teachers, to these killing machines I'll have a problem with that. We have already seen some of that in the Walking Dead. (Carol anyone?)

I guess on one hand it'll be interesting to see how "ordinary" people deal with walkers. By ordinary, I mean not cops or rednecks or farmers who know how to hunt.

On the other hand, I would think that'd take some of the "spark" out of the show. I would think that instead of stand and fight, there'll be a hell of a lot of: "Let's Get The Hell Out Of Here."  I can't see school teachers (or whatever the leads are) as being real, well, heroic. I mean maybe they will be, and I know it can happen. But then, the flip side to that is that if (say overnight) the characters go from being, well, teachers, to these killing machines I'll have a problem with that. We have already seen some of that in the Walking Dead. (Carol anyone?)

ZA Fact #1: Urban dwellers will die. Quickly.

• Love 3

I watched an interesting interview with a psychologist who studied heroism, and has formulated some theories about the people who are most likely to act in a heroic manner.  So I give the urbanites a decent chance at showing us what they can do.

Here's a link to an article about the study, should anyone be interested : http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/what_makes_a_hero/

An excerpt:

Here are a few key insights from research we’ve done surveying 4,000 Americans from across the country. Each of these statements is valid after controlling for all demographic variables, such as education and socioeconomic status.

Heroes surround us. One in five—20 percent—qualify as heroes, based on the definition of heroism I provide above. Seventy-two percent report helping another person in a dangerous emergency. Sixteen percent report whistle blowing on an injustice. Six percent report sacrificing for a non-relative or stranger. Fifteen percent report defying an unjust authority. And not one of these people has been formally recognized as a hero.

Opportunity matters. Most acts of heroism occur in urban areas, where there are more people and more people in need. You’re not going to be a hero if you live in the suburbs. No shit happens in the suburbs!

Education matters. The more educated you are, the more likely you are to be a hero, I think because you are more aware of situations.

Volunteering matters. One third of all the sample who were heroes also had volunteered significantly, up to 59 hours a week.

Gender matters. Males reported performing acts of heroism more than females. I think this is because women tend not to regard a lot of their heroic actions as heroic. It’s just what they think they’re supposed to do for their family or a friend.

Race matters. Blacks were eight times more likely than whites to qualify as heroes. We think that’s in part due to the rate of opportunity. (In our next survey, we’re going to track responses by area code to see if in fact these heroes are coming from inner cities.

Personal history matters. Having survived a disaster or personal trauma makes you three times more likely to be a hero and a volunteer.

• Love 4

I already know I'm not going to like the lack of would-be realism of this show.  No way we're going to get lots of cameos of famous Hollywood people, either them being alive (at least for a little while) or as zombies.

And if they dress up/paint other people to be them, or them as zombies, it'll be an insult to everyone.

• Love 1

I already know I'm not going to like the lack of would-be realism of this show.  No way we're going to get lots of cameos of famous Hollywood people, either them being alive (at least for a little while) or as zombies.

And if they dress up/paint other people to be them, or them as zombies, it'll be an insult to everyone.

L.A. is a big, sprawling place.  Unless you spend a lot of time staking out the "Hollywood Star Hotspots", you aren't that likely to see them in everyday real life.

• Love 2

L.A. is a big, sprawling place.  Unless you spend a lot of time staking out the "Hollywood Star Hotspots", you aren't that likely to see them in everyday real life.

That is very true, but if the show goes for a few seasons [at least] and stays in/around the LA 'metropolitan' area, then it'd be unrealistic to never see a "can't miss" well-known actor or actress either fighting to stay alive or roaming around as a walker.

L.A. is a big, sprawling place. Unless you spend a lot of time staking out the "Hollywood Star Hotspots", you aren't that likely to see them in everyday real life.

I've lived here all my life and I've seen a handful of celebrities all but one of them at the airport. Edited by chlban
  • Love 1

That is very true, but if the show goes for a few seasons [at least] and stays in/around the LA 'metropolitan' area, then it'd be unrealistic to never see a "can't miss" well-known actor or actress either fighting to stay alive or roaming around as a walker.

I'm not going to lie.  Once upon a time I saw a picture of Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus hanging out with a certain celeb and my immediate reaction was 'Zombie Slash cameo'.  So that's my pick.

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about AMC's short series called Fear the Walking Dead: Flight 462. Originally I was going to put a link in the Walking Dead episode threads linking to the thread, since the small episode snippets were going to be aired then, but it's already being released online NOW.

FTWD: Flight 462 is basically a collection of 1 minute promos that will show what happens when the outbreak occurs during a commercial airline flight. Click on the link below to get more info on this weird AMC offering and to discuss the promos!

I know what you mean.   It may seem like you have to stake out particular hot spots in order to see famous people.  I think that it's more about the general location within the city, more so than about specific hot spots, that dictates if you will see anyone noteworthy. 

For example, the part of L.A. that most of Season 1 of FTWD was set in is not a general area where famous people are going to be, for the most part.  I think they were in East L.A.?  That area is not going to be bursting at the seams with actors in real life or in a TV show. 

I live in a different section of L.A., and from my area and further west, on towards the beach, there are lots and lots and lots of celebrity sightings all the time (by TMZ and assorted other outlets).  I listed all of the celebrity sightings I have had while living here in the "Celebrity Encounters" thread (which is lost somewhere, in some forum, on this website!   Lol.), and I am not staking out any hot spots at all.  Actors, musicians and other people in different facets of the business really are everywhere, doing normal things like going to the grocery store, going to Disneyland and getting their cars washed -- but they just aren't in the general section of the city where FTWD has been taking place, and they wouldn't be in a lot of other areas of Los Angeles County either.  If FTWD moves the story just a bit west, it would not be out of the realm of reason and reality to see some actors playing actors turning up on FTWD at some point.