Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Comics Flashpoint had to be reversed because the war between WW and Aquaman had killed millions.  Based on the trailer the Allens are happily married, Joe and Iris are living their lives, Cisco is a douche but also highly successful, Caitlin may have a happier personal life, and Wells may not have had to watch his wife die before getting murdered by RF.  That's not so bad, all things considered.  Hopefully Barry's happiness is not the main reason to change things back.

• Love 2
(edited)

I sense I am in the minority thinking that this is going to be an entire half-season thing.  They'll echo the old relationships to reinforce them once the timeline is "fixed".

The problem is Arrow, they cant have Arrow happening in the restored timeline while The Flash is in a fantasy timeline for that long. IMO. Arrow premiere is picking up from where the last season left, with some few changes due to FP. Those changes need to be explained ASAP as welll as why Arrow is happening in the real/restored timeline when Barry's actions should affect the whole universe.  Its a good thing The Flash will premiere first then Arrow a day after, thats why I think the bubble of FP will burst in the premiere.  Thats my understanding so far, but who really knows¯\_(ツ)_/¯ -.

That's not so bad, all things considered.

We only see a glimpse of this new universe, there could be much more thats not so good or will turn bad later. This Black Racer guy sounds menacing. 

Edited by WildcardC
  • Love 2

I saw the comiccon footage and they indicated that Barry's relationship with Wells was nonexistent and Tom made comments about not having a role on the show (which could have been a joke). Grant responded by putting his arm around Tom and sort of rubbing/gripping his shoulder a bit. I wonder if they haven't figured out what to do with Tom yet or if he's just toying with people.

I know the new Kid Flash costume is similar to the one in the comics, but it looks uncomfortable and a bit stiff to me. The way they did Barry's costume makes it look a bit more flexible and comfortable to me.

Another thing I noticed was that when they were interviewing the cast and Candice was talking about how she didn't think there would be more ship-stalling this season, I watched the face of the (writer? producer?) and I got the impression he wasn't agreeing with her. Just something about his facial movements and body language made me think there will be more ship-stalling. I also noticed that when they asked about Iris in crossovers, they couldn't give a straight answer, so my guess is she won't be in them.

Didn't they say that the Flashpoint changes will affect Diggle?

They've all been really coy about Tom's role this season; even though I don't think who he's playing will be a big surprise. (Also, maybe he's not really in the first few episodes much, like last season.) Most have guessed he Original Wells and/or Earth-2 Wells. I'm not sure who else they could invent for Tom to play!

I'm hopeful about Barry and Iris this season -- but I'm still bracing myself for more stalling. (::SIGH::) And there really is no excuse for leaving Iris out of the crossovers. I hope Stenz takes care of that, because I'm not sure the Helbings will.

It's interesting that they mentioned Diggle; I wonder if he will be making an appearance before the big crossover?

---

On a different note, there's a radio interview from Comic Con in which Grant spills that Tom Felton will be keeping his accent for his role.

Other than the Supergirl cast and the new incoming regulars, Iris and the various versions of Wells are now the only regular characters on the Arrowverse shows who a) haven't been killed off but b) haven't made at least one appearance on one of the other shows. Even a couple of characters who are/were technically just guest stars on Arrow have now popped up in Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, and one Flash guest star popped up on Arrow.  

So, although I know that television isn't exactly interested in "fair," my eyebrows will go up if we have another season without Iris or Dr. Whichever Wells making at least one appearance on Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, quarks said:

Other than the Supergirl cast and the new incoming regulars, Iris and the various versions of Wells are now the only regular characters on the Arrowverse shows who a) haven't been killed off but b) haven't made at least one appearance on one of the other shows. Even a couple of characters who are/were technically just guest stars on Arrow have now popped up in Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, and one Flash guest star popped up on Arrow.  

So, although I know that television isn't exactly interested in "fair," my eyebrows will go up if we have another season without Iris or Dr. Whichever Wells making at least one appearance on Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow.

Also Joe -- which is sad, because Joe and Quentin probably have the most in common; they really should have more scenes together.

-----

From EW:

In the Flashpoint timeline, we’ll find Barry truly appreciating the opportunity to spend quality time with his now-dead parents, but it won’t be long before he faces the consequences of tinkering with time. “He’s starting to have new memories of graduating high school and college, memories he never had with his parents, but those memories are replacing other things from the other timeline,” Grant Gustin teases.

This is the same thing they did with Olivia on Fringe, when they started 'merging' the two versions of her.

Thanks, Trini. I do hope they incorporate Iris in to the crossovers somehow. I am very curious about what things will be like with Diggle.

Barry isn't used to having someone as smart as him poking around his business? Uhh... I'm pretty sure that Eobard/Wells was actually smarter than Barry and Barry has been surrounded by scientists who are supposed to be highly intelligent at STAR Labs. Maybe he just meant at the police station though.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, zannej said:

Thanks, Trini. I do hope they incorporate Iris in to the crossovers somehow. I am very curious about what things will be like with Diggle.

Barry isn't used to having someone as smart as him poking around his business? Uhh... I'm pretty sure that Eobard/Wells was actually smarter than Barry and Barry has been surrounded by scientists who are supposed to be highly intelligent at STAR Labs. Maybe he just meant at the police station though.

Pretty sure they mean in the context of someone who isn't in on his secret.

• Love 1

Something called YVRShoots seems to have set stalkers who take pictures on location. I found a Tumblr post earlier and googled it to see if I could find the original pics. My internet is absolutely horrible right now, so I can't get this to load but I *think* it is the right link. http://yvrshoots.com/2016/07/shoot-the-flash-films-westallen-candice-patton-grant-gustin-kiss-in-vancouvers-cambie-village.html

It *should* have Grant and Candice filming a scene under some sort of large gazebo like thing with stringed lights. (Wasn't that where Oliver proposed to Felicity? or am I just wrong on that)?

On Twitter there was discussion that some fans asked Candice about Grant's kissing skills and she said something like "He gets the job done" and Grant asked for clarification (whether she meant he was good or if she was casting "shade") and she replied that he was good and he knew that and he said he just needed to hear her say it. LOL.

I did manage to barely get some stuff to load with the Grant talking about comic con and saying Barry was going to get advice from another speedster about time travel. Pretty sure he meant Reverse Flash. He also suggested Barry was taking the "year" off to just enjoy having his parents back.

Meanwhile, Matt Letscher posted a video on Instagram of the Legends of Tomorrow people filming him in a dark background holding some pose while standing on some pedestal that turned. Someone suggested it was for the 3D model of him. They were playing Darth Vader's theme song in the background. It's somewhere at the instagram account of realmattletscher. I wonder if what they do with him on Legends will affect Flash in any way.

I think someone suggested that episode 5 was going to have something meaty for Caitlin.

I managed to find a tumblr post of the recent WestAllen pics. Can't seem to locate the original source since my 'net is not cooperating at all and it took me 20 minutes to find it. http://film-natives.tumblr.com/post/148552658305

Edited by zannej
  • Love 1
On 8/5/2016 at 10:03 AM, WildcardC said:

LOL. Well thats interesting, so characters can just come to being because of Flashpoint....

In the movie (I not very familiar with the comics), The Flash saving his mother causes ripples in time forwards and backwards. So it's probably that circumstances changed, and now Julian is working at CCPD, when he wouldn't have been there in the previous timeline -- not that he was literally created by Flashpoint.

18 minutes ago, zannej said:

Something called YVRShoots seems to have set stalkers who take pictures on location. I found a Tumblr post earlier and googled it to see if I could find the original pics. My internet is absolutely horrible right now, so I can't get this to load but I *think* it is the right link. http://yvrshoots.com/2016/07/shoot-the-flash-films-westallen-candice-patton-grant-gustin-kiss-in-vancouvers-cambie-village.html
It *should* have Grant and Candice filming a scene under some sort of large gazebo like thing with stringed lights. (Wasn't that where Oliver proposed to Felicity? or am I just wrong on that)?

I've come across a few of those photos; it looks like Barry and Iris' first(?) date will be in episode 3. Not sure about the location of Oliver's proposal.

I did manage to barely get some stuff to load with the Grant talking about comic con and saying Barry was going to get advice from another speedster about time travel. Pretty sure he meant Reverse Flash. ...

I'm don't think it was at Comic Con, but I know it was mentioned somewhere that Barry would be getting advice from Jay Garrick. At this point, I don't think he's going to get any more help from Reverse Flash.

... I wonder if what they do with him on Legends will affect Flash in any way.

Legends seems to be off in their own corner of time and space, so I don't think it will affect The Flash.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Trini said:

In the movie (I not very familiar with the comics), The Flash saving his mother causes ripples in time forwards and backwards. So it's probably that circumstances changed, and now Julian is working at CCPD, when he wouldn't have been there in the previous timeline -- not that he was literally created by Flashpoint.

I've come across a few of those photos; it looks like Barry and Iris' first(?) date will be in episode 3. Not sure about the location of Oliver's proposal.

I'm don't think it was at Comic Con, but I know it was mentioned somewhere that Barry would be getting advice from Jay Garrick. At this point, I don't think he's going to get any more help from Reverse Flash.

Legends seems to be off in their own corner of time and space, so I don't think it will affect The Flash.

I was just guessing about the "advice" because we saw the comiccon footage of Eobard sort of mocking Barry and telling him it was all an illusion or something. I'm guessing it might not be friendly advice, but might be more mocking advice from Eobard telling him he screwed up and it's going to come back to bite him later. I don't know if they've mentioned much about Jay Garrick yet.

The thing where Grant mentioned it was at some table where they were sitting down. Tom Cavanagh had been talking and Grant came over to tell him it was time to switch tables. Not sure what event that was though. Could have been something other than comic con.

I actually got the impression that Tom Felton was implying his character would literally not exist if not for Flashpoint and that if Barry undid things, he would cease to exist and if he realized that, he might try to stop Barry from changing the timeline back.

I guess Legends can sort of be counted as another universe at this point, since the timeline is in flux there.

In the movie (I not very familiar with the comics), The Flash saving his mother causes ripples in time forwards and backwards. So it's probably that circumstances changed, and now Julian is working at CCPD, when he wouldn't have been there in the previous timeline -- not that he was literally created by Flashpoint.

Well it sounded to me like Tom was saying he did not exist in the prime universe/timeline at all...He said "...I didnt exist in the previous timeline, so I'm glad that he has changed something, so now I'm alive!..."

I hope there is more spoilers on this.

• Love 1

::shrug:: That's my best interpretation, because Flashpoint (as I understand) shouldn't just 'create' people.

---------

Assuming the particle accelerator doesn't explode in Flashpoint continuity, I wonder how does Wally get his powers?? Probably lightning? In the show so far, they've had specific explanations about how people got powers, (most of them having to do with the dark matter cloud) so I hope they don't gloss over this.

Dun, Dun, DUN!!
But I kind of hope not, because we already saw that with Reverse Flash. (Nevermind that they're doing a villain in a mask for the third time!) Seriously, I hope they don't try and pretend Felton isn't the Big Bad.  >:-(

This is the same thing they did with Olivia on Fringe, when they started 'merging' the two versions of her.

That's also what happened to Barry in the comics.  In the end he still had all of his alternate memories so he did remember growing up with his mom even though she's dead in the restored timeline.

::shrug:: That's my best interpretation, because Flashpoint (as I understand) shouldn't just 'create' people.

If the TV version is as far reaching as the comic version then it actually should.  For example, thousands of people died in Metropolis when Superman's ship crashed.  Many of the people must have been future parents- with them dead presumably their eventual partners had children with different people.

::shrug:: That's my best interpretation, because Flashpoint (as I understand) shouldn't just 'create' people.

I can kind of see how some new babies can be born during the Flash point period & timeline (15 year period). Like if Iris grew up in different circles from Barry in FP, she could have been married to someone else and they might have kids. Same for Cisco, Caitlin... If they never have to be involved with The Flash's mission, they could have had time for other things.  If Barry's parent never died, Barry might have a younger brother/sister in this FP timeline. Hypothetical examples.

But Tom's character seems to be the same age as Barry (I assume) so it doesnt make sense why he wouldn't exist already in the prime timeline. He should be about 8 years old too when the Flashpoint timeline is created. FP should be able to change his career, upbringing etc not create him.

What is it about Flashpoint that could possibly make him come to being? Grrrr

Unless Tom Felton is a time traveler. 

Then he would still exist in another time, whether thats from the past or the future. FP being erased wouldnt erase him, it would just send him home to his real time. 

Edited by WildcardC

More info from EW:

Aside from being the mom of Danielle Panabaker’s character, Dr. Carla Tannhauser is a world class biomedical engineer and CEO of a major research company. But while Caitlin may have inherited her mother’s formidable scientific mind, the two have long had a difficult relationship, with Caitlin finding her mother cold and withholding, and Carla regarding her daughter as rebellious and ungrateful.

• Love 1

Awesome, something for Caitlin that is not about her love life. Perfect casting, they look like there could be mother and daughter, though  I will be thinking she is Lydia's mom on Teen Wolf or Tyler's mom on Vampire Diaries. Interesting that those shows are ending and Susan Walters has been cast here. 

SHOOT: VFX Whiz Armen Kevorkian Directs THE FLASH’s Grant Gustin in Vancouver’s Granville Square

the-flash-granville-square2-2.jpg

Already filming 3x 3!!!

Edited by WildcardC
  • Love 1

What if Tom Felton's character is someone who was ill or injured as a child and Henry Allen saved him somehow? In an alternate timeline, with Henry in prison, he couldn't save him so he would have died or his life could have taken a different path.

Or, maybe Barry's meddling caused him to shift into a different phase of earth1 (Earth 1.5 or something) and there are some minor differences there that didn't exist in Barry's original universe.

• Love 1

What if Tom Felton's character is someone who was ill or injured as a child and Henry Allen saved him somehow? In an alternate timeline, with Henry in prison, he couldn't save him so he would have died or his life could have taken a different path.

Yeah thats an interesting theory.

1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

Grey Damon, of Aquarius and Friday Night Lights, will play Sam Scudder, better known as Mirror Master, this season!

"The Flash" has just about completed its Rogues gallery: Grey Damon has been cast on The CW series as Mirror Master, CBR has learned from Warner Bros. Television. He's set to appear in the fourth episode of season three, which should air in late October or early November.

There have been two significant Mirror Masters in DC Comics history, but "The Flash" TV series will use the original: Sam Scudder, created by John Broome and Carmine Infantino and first introduced in 1959's "The Flash" #105. Here's WBTV's official character description:

"One of the Flash's most infamous Rogues, Sam Scudder -- aka Mirror Master -- is a smooth criminal with a huge ego. Upon discovering he now has the power to travel through any reflective surface, Scudder embarks on a massive crime spree to prove himself the greatest thief that Central City has ever seen."

I was wondering how they would interpret his powers for the show if he ever showed up, because from what I've skimmed about him, they were several ways to go about it.

I hope Damon is good, because he could potentially be as important and recurring like Capt. Cold or Weather Wizard.

7 hours ago, Trini said:

first introduced in 1959's "The Flash" #105

I skimmed the original article and missed that.  That was actually the first issue of Barry Allen's own book; they continued the numbering from the original "Flash Comics" (the anthology book that featured Jay Garrick) that had ended a decade before.

I finally found the origin post for those WestAllen pics on Tumblr.  http://yvrshoots.com/2016/08/shoot-the-flashs-westallen-grant-gustin-candice-patton-on-vancouvers-false-creek-seawall.html

Barry apparently set up a thing of flowers that spelled out Barry <3 Iris

Some more behind-the-scenes pics from another location:  http://yvrshoots.com/2016/08/shoot-vfx-whiz-armen-kevorkian-directs-the-flashs-grant-gustin-in-vancouvers-granville-square.html

And for additional bts updates: http://yvrshoots.com/category/the-flash

• Love 1

More info from the TCA tour (spoilers for other CW shows also):

A mystery character will be exploring their sexuality and coming out in the coming year, but the producers declined to reveal which character or show. “It is a significant character and we’re not trying to be coy about it, we really want the audience to enjoy the character developments and not necessarily be ahead of the storyline,” Berlanti explained. 

“The Flash” will feature two villains in Season 3 — the previously announced Doctor Alchemy, and newly revealed speedster Savitar.

And from TV Line:

* Speaking about whether actors from the other DC shows will appear in the Flash/Supergirl musical crossover, Berlanti acknowledged it was a possibility. “There’s a lot of time travel shows this year,” he said. “There’s only one time travel show where Victor Garber will be singing ‘Edelweiss’ to a bunch of Nazis. That is happening.”

* Kevin Smith will direct an episode of Supergirl and another Flash installment.

I'm not sure if they mean that Smith is directing another episode besides the one that was already announced....

The Collider folks asked specifically about Grodd...

Back in January, producer Andrew Kreisberg told us that he wanted to wait to tell the next chapter of Grodd’s story when they had time to do a multi-episode arc:

... Today, he confirmed that in Season 3 that as far as Grodd’s return:

“Yes, we’re going to be doing a two-part episode that takes place in Gorilla City.”

With only 22 episodes AND this whole musical going on, I have a feeling it won't end up being two episodes.

• Love 1

Oh, true; but they seem to like to space out the big SFX episodes, so back-to-back Grodd/gorillas/Earth-2 is what gives me pause. 

So, if they do Gorilla City for 13/14, the musical would have to #12...or 15? Unless they move the two-parter. Either way, they'd have to be filming it in December, right? Seems like a beast to schedule when they're already trying to get the 4-way planned out.

From TV Line:

Any news on what’s happening with Caitlin on The Flash? —Justin

When asked if Caitlin might have an altered existence because of Flashpoint, EP Todd Helbing hedged, “Yes and no. We’ll say this: She is still Dr. Caitlin Snow.”

I just re-watched the episode where Barry got his one day do-over in season 1 and noticed something I hadn't ever caught before. Eobard/Wells was adamant about not changing the timeline and how the tragedy he averted could be even worse. He also asked Barry to imagine how much damage he could do if he could travel back decades or centuries. Barry then realized that he would soon be able to go back and save his mother and asked him whether or not he thought he should go back and save her. Eobard didn't give a yes or no answer, but he did say "How many lives will be lost, if your mother lives?" That was some major foreshadowing for Flashpoint that I had forgotten about.

I do wonder if this will be like the comic book Flashpoint where millions of people will die if Barry doesn't go back and let his mother die.

Since we are going to see Caitlin's mother, I wonder if there will be any mention of her brother Charlie.

• Love 1

Since we are going to see Caitlin's mother, I wonder if there will be any mention of her brother Charlie.

I saw a crazy theory somewhere, that Tom Felton's character could be Charlie

Like I said  crazy theory¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 1

Ask Ausiello:

Question: Could you find out what Iris’ role in The Flash‘s Flashpoint story will be? —Kelly

Ausiello: “She is still a journalist,” co-showrunner Todd Helbing points out, before adding cryptically, “But she’s doing something else as well.” Adds EP Aaron Helbing: “One thing about Iris is she’s always Iris. She’s always a constant. Just like on Earth-2, she was a cop, but she’s still married to Barry. There’s always and still a Barry/Iris dynamic, but it’s slightly different.”

I think he means that Iris is working with the Flash(Wally), which we kinda saw in the teaser already.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Trini said:

Some relevant quotes from the interview with A. Helbing:

... This season, we definitely plan on having a lighter tone. Evil is still out there, so you still have to respect that. I don’t think it will be as dark as Zoom. When we meet Barry, he’s living with his parents. I feel like this has been a moment that Barry has been wanting since his mother was taken from him. Who wouldn’t want that? And then, Zoom took his dad last season. So, when you meet him, you see this happiness. He finally is having the life that he’s always wanted, but there’s always a give and take to everything. While he has his parents, he doesn’t have Joe in his life. He didn’t grow up with Joe as a foster father. He didn’t grow up with Iris right there, getting to see her every day. He knew her from grade school, but they didn’t have the same relationship. Those are big differences. He didn’t go to S.T.A.R. Labs and have Cisco and Caitlin and Dr. Wells. These are adjustments that he has to get used to. But, being with his parents overshadows everything. ...

... As we explore the Flashpoint universe, he’ll realize that there are consequences to the choices that he made, and he has to deal with those consequences. Every time you make a choice, it can go A or B. And when you make that big of a choice to go back in time, 15 or 16 years, and stop Reverse Flash from killing your mom, there are going to be gigantic ramifications because of that. So, I think Barry is aware of that.

... [Reverse Flash's] entire mission in life is making Barry Allen’s life a living hell, even just where Reverse Flash is, being able to taunt Barry as much as he can....

... I’m really excited about Doctor Alchemy because we haven’t had someone who’s an alchemist. He can take X and turn it into Y. ... We can really explore alchemy, in that manner of being able to take X and turn it into Y, and see how that mirrors what actually happened to The Flash and all of the meta-humans in Central City. ...

... Barry Allen and Iris West are an iconic relationship. We set it up, at the end of Season 2, that they were going to get together, and then he undid it. But, these two are destined to be together. I would say to keep watching. As with destiny, things end up playing out the way you hoped they would.

... So, when you meet [Wally West] in Flashpoint, he is The Flash. He’s Kid Flash, but he’s The Flash. He’s a speedster who just wants to do the right thing, but he also is gonna do it his way.

... Cisco is a bit different. The thing about Flashpoint is that, because of these actions, the reality of the world is different. There are different circumstances that create different relationships, and they just weren’t there. I love their dynamic. I love the way Caitlin and Cisco are a pair, and I don’t feel like we’ll lose that feeling.

• Love 1

Will it affect Barry Allen mentally when he realizes just what he’s done?

HELBING: As we explore the Flashpoint universe, he’ll realize that there are consequences to the choices that he made, and he has to deal with those consequences. Every time you make a choice, it can go A or B. And when you make that big of a choice to go back in time, 15 or 16 years, and stop Reverse Flash from killing your mom, there are going to be gigantic ramifications because of that. So, I think Barry is aware of that.

Cant wait to hear more complains (myths), about how Barry never face consequences of his actions.

• Love 1

I think the best info from that interview is them saying this season will have a lighter tone. Finally, the first time I've heard that addressed! I really hope it's the case. Sounds like it probably will be with focus split between two different villains, neither of whom are likely to be as dark as Zoom.

ETA: New IGN interview with Todd Helbing and he confirms again, in much clearer words that they are definitely returning to the lightheartedness of Season 1. YES!!! I can't tell you how happy that makes me. I have a good feeling about this season, much better than I did about last season before it started.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Trini said:

Two more *spoilery* EP interviews:

IGN,
E! Online.

There's a bit more about the villains in these interviews; what's interesting to me is that they say there's a more psychological element to the villains that effects Barry in an unexpected way. We'll see how this plays out, but I'm not sure the writers are up to the task.

I'm really surprised no one has spilled anything about Wells - even just his Flashpoint storyline. I don't know if I should be annoyed or impressed....

• Love 1

From E! Online:

Meet the newest member of The Flash's Rogues gallery: The Top, played by Awkward star Ashley Rickards.

E! News has exclusively learned that Rickards will play Rosalind "Rosa" Dillon, a.k.a. The Top, in the fourth episode of The Flash's third season. The Top, which was a male character in the comic books, has the power to make people's heads spin. She's the Bonnie to Mirror Master's Clyde and one of the most dangerous members of the gallery of Rogues.

Executive producers Aaron and Todd Helbing told E! News that episode 304 is an origin story of sorts for Mirror Master, played by Aquarius' Grey Damon—and it'll also mark the return of Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold.

Yay! Capt. Cold will be back!

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Very interesting twist on The Top... In the comics, he and Lisa Snart were very much a couple.  Plus, he would actually spin like a top, and the centrifugal force pushed his brain cells to the outside, making him super- intelligent. The Top and Mirror Master were really the last two major Rogues I was looking for.